5.2

1. Jan 15, 2013
    "DmC is a brilliant title as it shows us how willing Video game journalists are to prostitute themselves for ad revenue, merchandise and review copies of games. Anyone who played one level would recognize the now crippled game play is a massive drop in quality from previous titles. From the way enemies take a minimum of 5 seconds to attack to the boss banter being things like **** you" and"DmC is a brilliant title as it shows us how willing Video game journalists are to prostitute themselves for ad revenue, merchandise and review copies of games. Anyone who played one level would recognize the now crippled game play is a massive drop in quality from previous titles. From the way enemies take a minimum of 5 seconds to attack to the boss banter being things like **** you" and " no **** you". The Plot is your typical masturbatory tale of how corporations are bad and evil with edgy little twists like the murdering of unborn children and brothers debating the length of their **** With all of the above in mind It seem ninja theory are the hero's we truly need to drag unscrupulous game journalists into the spot light and hopefully discover how they justify misleading and lying to consumers with claims that games such as DmC is anything near good.

I give this game a 10/10 for the valuable service it provides. Oh metcritic users here's a fun game, view the other reviews of anyone who gave this a 10/10 cause they sure love ninja theory games and that's about it.
  2. Jan 15, 2013
    Quite simply one of the best games of the generation. Relentlessly fast-paced action with cool, relatable characters that will make you laugh, cry and cheer. Dante, our main character, is an edgy, memorable individual who doesn't care about anyone but himself. This makes him an outcast that anyone who's ever had a bit of a 'loner' streak about them will instantly relate to. Have you wantedQuite simply one of the best games of the generation. Relentlessly fast-paced action with cool, relatable characters that will make you laugh, cry and cheer. Dante, our main character, is an edgy, memorable individual who doesn't care about anyone but himself. This makes him an outcast that anyone who's ever had a bit of a 'loner' streak about them will instantly relate to. Have you wanted to scream at the world to *bleep* off? Then this is a character for you. Virgil is anything brilliantly written character, seemingly a cool, calm and collected person he later shows a darker side in his pursuit for freedom. Much like a roller coaster, this ride isn't for children and pregnant women. Only mature gamers such as myself should go on this white-knuckle adventure through purgatory! You would be doing yourself a massive disservice by not buying this game (which has some DLC I already can't wait for!) because of some entitled individuals who can't see the woods for the trees due to their blind rage over something that is different from what they are used to. Give this game a chance. Expand
  3. Jan 15, 2013
    Very impressive game, one of the first reboots of a franchise that I have played and truly loved. I have been playing the Devil May Cry series since the first and I am impressed with Ninja Theory's vision and execution of ideas in this game. The art direction is fantastic, everything from character designs to environments look so unique. They have managed to take most aspects of what IVery impressive game, one of the first reboots of a franchise that I have played and truly loved. I have been playing the Devil May Cry series since the first and I am impressed with Ninja Theory's vision and execution of ideas in this game. The art direction is fantastic, everything from character designs to environments look so unique. They have managed to take most aspects of what I loved about previous games and apply there own unique vision which has resulted in a breath of fresh air in a series that I felt had become stale after the third entry in the series. The game play while it does feel different is still fast paced and incredibly fun. The story is also while not perfect is still a major step up from any other title in the series so far. The only negatives in my opinion would be the difficulty level which to me was to easy at the beginning (although harder difficulties do become available) and the boss fights which I found to to be less open and free then the rest of the game. 9/10

It really makes me ashamed to call myself a gamer when various others use sites like this to give completely inaccurate and biased reviews to to effect a games sales. People are perfectly entitled not to like a game but to put down a game of this quality just because it isn't the same as what came before is ridiculous. Most negative reviews from users that I have seen so far do not even give any constructive criticism and instead bash a game, a lot of them I can guarantee have never even played. A review is meant to be unbiased. You can't honestly say this game has no good aspects to it. People need to realize that change is good. It drives innovation, without it the industry would become even more saturated with clones of more successful games which has already occurred. Focusing entirely on the negatives without any positive input at all could possibly destroy a series not improve it. If people truly love a franchise and you want aspects of a particular game to be improved or changed this is the attitude we need to take.
  4. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is awesome. If you love action games do yourself a favor go buy this now! If you believe these phony negative reviewers you will be missing out on one of the best action games to come out for a long time .I usually dont write reviews but it pisses me off when people give games an unjustified negative review.
  5. Jan 15, 2013
    I will try to take every single detail into account while writing this review. Hokai here it goes:
    Let it be known that I have been a faithful Devil May Cry fan since the original one came out on the PS2. I have played every single DMC game and I have watched every episode of the animated series. At first I rejected this game because it was not the Dante I knew and loved. But as I played the first few missions, a new admiration overcame me. This new Dante is just as bad ass as the original. Sure he's more sexual and has a different look, but he has the same "whatever" badass attitude that we've come to love. The cast of characters isn't as great as Arkham, Lady, Jester and the rest from DMC 3, but they're similar in magnitude. The new Vergil is pretty cool and he did not deceive me for a second. You have to also accept the fact that this game is WAY BETTER than DMC 4. DMC 4 was the worst Devil May Cry game that I have ever played. The first half was amazing, but then the second half had the exact same missions in the exact same areas, with the EXACT SAME BOSSES. This game has a great story backed up with amazing levels that are visually stunning. The "flashback" environments with the gigantic chained statue or the way the world crumbles and changes as Dante is sucked into Limbo are amazing. The combat is still reminiscent of the original. The Style ratings are still there, thank god. And it's just pure fun. There's no complicated sword charging like in DMC 4 and you can keep a combo flowing for virtually minutes if you've got the skill for it. I personally would have preferred if they included more weapons like in DMC 3, but whatever I'm good with this. Overall, it does not beat DMC 3, the shining beacon of hope for games like these, but it is an AMAZING game. DEFINITELY BETTER THAN DMC 4 AND 2. You can see that Ninja Theory really poured their heart out into this and really tried hard.
  6. Jan 15, 2013
    LOL @ all these people hating on the game because it's different. I've played all the DMC games and this one is one of the best. The combat is fluid, the story is fun - and don't even say it's edgy because of the dialogue. People in the real world don't speak in perfect dialogue all the time, every day. I hear curse, disgusting words around me all the time, every day. So why wouldn'tLOL @ all these people hating on the game because it's different. I've played all the DMC games and this one is one of the best. The combat is fluid, the story is fun - and don't even say it's edgy because of the dialogue. People in the real world don't speak in perfect dialogue all the time, every day. I hear curse, disgusting words around me all the time, every day. So why wouldn't an actual protagonist? Get real. Don't hate on the game just because it's not the old DMC. Give it a shot. Rock it out. Have fun. Don't listen to these haters. Expand
  7. Jan 15, 2013
    Please do not believe all the people who hate this game on principle. This is a fantastic game that entitled fans of the prior series want to see fail.

Having that out of the way as someone who's played and enjoyed every DMC other than 2, I can say with no doubt that this is a well crafted game and more than worthy of the title Devil May Cry.
  8. Jan 15, 2013
    Great improvement to a mediocre series. Character is a lot more interesting instead of being one gigantic anime joke. Cheesy bits are obvious throwbacks instead of just the writing. Combat is more fluid and varied than 4 even, though the later enemies aren't as interesting.
  9. Jan 15, 2013
    What can I say about Devil May Cry? It's a game I received early and I've been playing it sense. It has a ton of depth and detail that really surprises me on a level that no game has in a long time. To make this short and sweet, this is possibly one of the greatest games of all time.

You are Dante, the demon killer, a hero and voice of the voiceless. You go through over 15 action packed and intense missions as him and the more you play as him the more you realize the subtle brilliance of his character and dialogue and just simply how bad ass he is. I'll say no more, but he's certainly better than a certain wannabe geezer.

The gameplay is and as a huge action junkie who buys EVERY action game I see I can say it's easily the most refined combat I've ever faced. Lock on is totally unnecessary when everything is so damn fluid. Some of the boss encounters are simply one of the greatest moments in gaming history and you'll be blown away by them. The graphics are some of the best detailed, I mean the limbo moments are simply mind blowing! And there's a level that's COMPLETELY LIKE A NEWS BROADCAST! I won't say more, but I can say I was NOT disappointed in that.

And finally the sound design. The dubstep, as a personal huge fan of the genre the game does it total justice and the music makes me want to buy 10 soundtrack CDs just so I can share it with my friends.

In closing, I loved this game. I wasn't that big of a fan of the original series but this reboot did it total justice. You would be a fool if you would let this pass up.
  10. Feb 25, 2013
    Before i start i'd like to note that i am a huge DMC fan and have been one since it's inception in 2001.
    This game is no different! Dont listen to raging fanboys acting like children not giving this game a fair chance or review, because it's safe the say that this game is fantastic. 1. story and presentation It's the best looking, presented and grounded DMC to date. Dante feels like an actual person rather then a cliche anime pretty boy character. It's something as the series went on that DMC seemed to get confused and lost by. Dante this time around is a character that starts off carefree and flawed with lust but through out the game (with out spoiling) grows into the character and man he's supposed to be. Other then him Vergil is in the game and is final is a relatable character! Someone you can connect and have an emotional response to along side Dante. Kat is the new DMC girl and is not a busty girl with no character. Like Vergil she is someone you start to care for by the end of the game. With out spoiling the plot, it's definitely the most grounded DMC with the story more about character growth. My only complant about it is that it's cut short (like every game it seems now a day) and there are technical issues. Not in gameplay but some frame rate drops during cutscenes. Cutscenes which are gorgeous by the way! The mo cap that Ninja Theory is famous for is amazing! Dante feels, looks and acts like a real person with subtle to extreme animations. Any gamer that enjoys and appreciates art should pick up this game! It's hard to describe just how amazing the game looks! 2. Music and sound
    Like it or not the music is great! It fits the exact tone NT is going for. The music was composed by Noisia (electronic band) and Combichrist. (industrial band) They do a great job setting up the atmosphere and pumping you up for the battle at hand. I love the music in DMC and this one is no different! I didnt know how i felt about Noisia using dubstep but thats only a small portion of the music. They are so versatile that the music can fit into many genres (thats why i call them an electronic band not a dubstep band) from the soft strings in Kat's them, to The dubstep track for Mundas theme to the retro arcade song. Combichrist songs were used for the battle themes. I loved the metal with electronic synth which will build up as you gain your S ranking which also makes Dante faster as you yourself react faster. It's great when it's in effect and really pumps you up as your slaying demons! Other then that the sound effects are also amazing from the weapon, and creatures to the sound of limbo crushing the world. 3.Gameplay and value
    This is the area in which most fans (myself included) were scared about. in past ninja theory games, they proved that there game play had many issues and being quite shallow. However this time around with Capcoms ad thats not the case. The combat is different but similar and as smooth as ever! It's more approachable but just as hardcore as the last. I was surprised how smooth it ran on 30 fps (the pc version runs on 60 which looks fantastic) however slower then the past dmc games doesn't make the combat less or better but something fresh. The game is fun! and with many different difficulties and enemy re spawns should keep the player busy for a while. Things that caught my attention quick was the lack of lock on....it's not a major issue but when fighting multipul enemies it can get confusing. Also the game for me at least wasn't that challenging (comparing it the past dmc games) however i'm a huge dmc player and have SSS'd all the games on all difficulties and create combo videos on youtube so i do have that advantage over other players. Again it doesn't really take away from the experience but should be noted. 3. Conclusion
    This game had been getting a bad name from the online community with some people acting like children condemning what is a very fine work of art. Therefore what i ask the reader is to go into the game open minded with out judging a book by the cover. you will be surprised just how jaw dropping the game is. It's very artist, looks great, has great characters with some humor and above all else has fun silky smooth gameplay.
  11. Feb 17, 2013
    This user score actually defines the term" metabombed.'It's a joke for this game to have such a low score. Nothing about this game deserves a zero. Actually the fact that it doesn't have a lock-on feature is wildly inexcusable. As some have complained, why have two evades when you can add a lock on? Honestly, I can't truly give this game anything more than an 8 because of this horribleThis user score actually defines the term" metabombed.'It's a joke for this game to have such a low score. Nothing about this game deserves a zero. Actually the fact that it doesn't have a lock-on feature is wildly inexcusable. As some have complained, why have two evades when you can add a lock on? Honestly, I can't truly give this game anything more than an 8 because of this horrible oversight. I'm giving it a 10, though, to meagerly help this score. I don't want to get into the thick of the game because everyone has done that already. If you liked DmC, buy this. It's great. I went back and played 1-3 to see what all these true fans are talking about. I disagree. Yeah it's not as magical as 1 or 3, and the combos are a bit too easy to chain. The angel weapon is virtually useless, and it's extremely annoying to be mandated when to use them. The demon weapon, on the other hand, is pretty great. I wish there were a few more combos that can be done with individual weapons. The story is pretty interesting. The character development is definitely interesting. I can't wait to see what Ninja Theory offers for their next installment in this series. I frankly would get this game just to get Vergil's Downfall, which looks absolutely amazing. By that, what I really mean is that Vergil as a character looks to have incredible abilities. And for those who are complaining about his hair. Don't worry, you can change it to white after you beat the game. But c'mon, guys, really? Complaining this much about hair color? I wish they kept their original version of Dante (he looked a lot darker, more sinister). Expand
  12. Mar 8, 2013
    The new Dante isn't THAT bad, the games looks, feels and sounds fantastic. The story is ok, but the game is incredibly fun. I did want to hate this too, but I loved it. One of the best games I've played in a while and highly recommended.
  13. Feb 24, 2013
    DMC is a great "new start" for Devil May Cry Series!
    The story is more mature, and tell the story of Dante's Family perfectly!
    DMC is a great "new start" for Devil May Cry Series!
    The story is more mature, and tell the story of Dante's Family perfectly!
    And with the contents for DLC: "Vergil's Fall" and the "Tower of Battle", the "new and old" costumes for Dante and visual of his guns and swords too, the game gain more replay factor, hours of gameplay, and make happy the guys that dont like much this "new" Dante, and the guys who like, too!
    The music and art of this game, is a masterpiece! Great moments in all game!
    A fantastic experience for new players, and the more traditional fans of DMC series!
    Ninja Theory, and Capcom, congratulations for this game! And continue this partnership work!
  14. Feb 4, 2013
    This Devil May Cry reboot is a stylish return to form for the titular demon slayer. With his attitude and arrogance, Ninja Theory's depiction of Dante is fresh and contemporary. Fans might hate the direction Dante has taken, with his boyish good looks and the outward perception that he's just a by the numbers pretty boy. But the craft behind the elegant level design and the slick combatThis Devil May Cry reboot is a stylish return to form for the titular demon slayer. With his attitude and arrogance, Ninja Theory's depiction of Dante is fresh and contemporary. Fans might hate the direction Dante has taken, with his boyish good looks and the outward perception that he's just a by the numbers pretty boy. But the craft behind the elegant level design and the slick combat ensures that this is a distinguishable entry from Capcom's pure juggernaut. There are bouts of iffy platforming, rote boss battles and uninteresting character design, but these all pale under the immensely detailed world that has been bestowed. Beautiful, fresh and badass, Ninja Theory has reinvigorated Dante with a great action game to start the year off in style. Expand
  15. Mar 10, 2013
    Great art and visuals and presentation.
    The story is quite intriguing, mature, gritty, dark and forms a perfect prequel for DMC3. Yeah I know it's a reboot but it just fits perfectly together.
    Profanity is there, but there are also some moments in there that made me feel angry like Dante and sad or completely ''WTF?!''-ed like Dante. The characters are good and there is decent to very
    Great art and visuals and presentation.
    The characters are good and there is decent to very good voice acting. And there IS humor. And the white wig joke was hilarious. Offending?! Seriously?! Nah...
    Soundtrack is BRUTAL and it doesn't make my ears bleed like in MGR:Revengeance, but that's just different taste in music. And I feel bad for NOISIA that the haters think that dubstep is only Skrillex.
    And you don't have the same battle song playing over again, and again, and again like in DMC3 4. Because sometimes I would stop playing, and play games with a better soundtrack DMC3 did have best ost material, but for me it was overshadowed by ''poser industrial techno metal''). Now we have Combichrist!
    Combat is fluid, smooth and has the old school DMC flare. It does lack an amount of extra moves which really is a bummer. And I didn't had any problem with DT. And there are always ways to play stylish instead of using trinity smash. Hell, DMC3 had DT Flux for Instant SSS. Vergil could be your with Royalguard. Forgotten about that huh? Combos can be linked with each other much more faster and smoother.
    Bosses are easy, but far from bad. They're actually epic!
    Difficulty could be kicked up a little bit, but you've always got SOS, DMD, HOH, HAH, Vergil's Downfall Bloody Palace for more replay value.
    The 30fps is really noticeable when you play with A/V cables on PS3, but on HDMI it's smooth like butter.
    I still think that the majority of the haters are still the ones who were extremely pissed at all those trailers. And didn't play this game with an open mind and still got their Nostalgic Goggles on while whining about everything. Saying that everyone should buy 4 HD Collection.
    DMC4 is superior in gameplay, but felt extremely rushed and was rushed. Bland anime story, hideous soundtrack( except for the song you hear during the Goddess Statue the 2nd half and Nero. I haven't touched it ever since I've got DmC. But hey...the haters got their way. This game didn't sell very well.
    However, DMC3 still reigns over DmC.
    If DmC had the lock-on for extra input commands...DmC would be on par with DMC3 for real. Maybe even beat it.
    Now waiting for the moment for my friend to give DmC back to me.
    A well deserved 9/10 Ninja Tee.
    Oh yeah, two 9/10 because my friend agrees
  16. Feb 8, 2013
    It is such a shame that this game has not been judged in it's own right. What is even more of a shame is that bitter fans are trying to trick newcomers into avoiding the game by giving it ridiculously low scores.

The game is not without fault- I agree that the combat is certainly more simplified than previous iterations and the lack of target lock-on can frustrate, but neither of these elements are anywhere near as detrimental to the experience as angry fans would have you believe.

Dante's arsenal is varied enough to allow finesse, without feeling overwhelming. The angel weapons feel slick and fluid while their demonic counterparts are weighty and impactful The platforming elements are for the most part intuitive and smooth, while allowing for a more leisurely viewing of the game's incredibly creative environments, without bringing the pace to a grinding halt.

The characters are well rounded and engaging and the acting is great. The playful and often humorous approach to the world does not detract from the more serious moments of the game, and Ninja Theory have managed to make a story involving nephilims and limbo feel relatable and current.
  17. Mar 9, 2013
    A good hack and slash game that is in my opinion, better than Dmc4. The combat and story is great, and even though Dante isn't as cool as he was before, this version of him is much more human. Although, they did antagonise old Devil May Cry fans in the beginning, which is frankly quite a bad creative decision.
  18. Mar 6, 2013
    Personally, I feel like most people here are way too hurt by the new change and can't accept a new Dante who doesn't look like a silver-haired anime freak. He almost reminds me of Constantine. I'm not one to write reviews, but wow is this game fun. The story was alright, but I was hooked from beginning to end. Missions were really fun, love the ones that predominantly relied on demon pullPersonally, I feel like most people here are way too hurt by the new change and can't accept a new Dante who doesn't look like a silver-haired anime freak. He almost reminds me of Constantine. I'm not one to write reviews, but wow is this game fun. The story was alright, but I was hooked from beginning to end. Missions were really fun, love the ones that predominantly relied on demon pull and angel lift weapons. You're never bored, because all enemies are affected by different weapons and different methods which means you can't just press a mashup of buttons all the time.

Pros: Dig the new half angel, half demon Dante, AND sympathetic, fun, love all the weapons (although some could be put to use more) Bosses, although easy, are some of the most visually impressive and memorable I've ever faced. I'm a longtime of Combichrist so I definitely dig the soundtrack. Cons: The godforsaken camera. During combat the camera decides to flip off to the oddest angle it can find and proves annoying in the most crucial moments. Lock-on would definitely help. You get thrown in a room of like 20 demons, and it auto aims all over the place. Just lovely. Another one: Too short. Other: Because some enemies are only affected by either Angel or Demon weapons, it renders the variety of your weapons useless. If I'm facing a frosted knight, I can pretty much only use either Osiris or Aquila, which throws all the possible combos out of the window really. They could improve it by emphasizing more on tactic to kill rather than angel or demon weapons. Conclusion: Don't listen to these negative reviews. Most of them are unfair as hell and biased. I'd bet my arm half of them hasn't even attempted to get past a couple missions. I had a blast playing it, and I'm still getting a kick out it replaying it. Demons, metal, and Combichrist, what more can a girl ask for?? 9 OUT OF EFFING 10. THANK YOU NINJA THEORY FOR THE REBOOT.
  19. Mar 10, 2013
    This game is great fun. Combat system is intuitive, and gives lots of variability with different weapons as they're unlocked. Great level design and art. The story is also good overall, and kept me playing to find out what happens next. My main complaint is that it was relatively short, but it has high replay value. I'll probably go through it a third time to find the last keys and doorsThis game is great fun. Combat system is intuitive, and gives lots of variability with different weapons as they're unlocked. Great level design and art. The story is also good overall, and kept me playing to find out what happens next. My main complaint is that it was relatively short, but it has high replay value. I'll probably go through it a third time to find the last keys and doors that were missed the first two times. Don't understand why so many people hate this game. Expand
  20. Mar 13, 2013
    Talk about breathing life into a franchise! I liked DMC! When i first heard it was a prequel/reboot(I hate prequels), I already started my disppointment, then I played the demo and was wowed. Then the game came in, and did NOY disappoint. The "emo Dante" complaints are so far off and half brained, I want to slap the nay sayers. The story was more than solid, the graphics-top notch, andTalk about breathing life into a franchise! I liked DMC! When i first heard it was a prequel/reboot(I hate prequels), I already started my disppointment, then I played the demo and was wowed. Then the game came in, and did NOY disappoint. The "emo Dante" complaints are so far off and half brained, I want to slap the nay sayers. The story was more than solid, the graphics-top notch, and the carachters interesting and engaging. The action was great, and was very fluid overall. Not quite as good as 3, but slighly better than the vastly underrated 4, DMC is a smash. 2nd best DMC overall. Expand
  21. Feb 5, 2013
    DmC is like any reboot. It is only going to please the people who thought that the saga of games in question were getting: boring, dull and uninteresting. So Ninja Theory took the DMC franchise and added: Excellent voice acting, good animations, new added weapons and a well thought out story. at the expense of: FPS and a Little more basic combat style. Those who judge the game ENTIRELY onDmC is like any reboot. It is only going to please the people who thought that the saga of games in question were getting: boring, dull and uninteresting. So Ninja Theory took the DMC franchise and added: Excellent voice acting, good animations, new added weapons and a well thought out story. at the expense of: FPS and a Little more basic combat style. Those who judge the game ENTIRELY on the fact that Dante has black hair and the western setting should be more open minded in my opinion.

I had a lot of fun with the game and I am a fan of the older ones and with the new Heaven and Hell and Hell or Hell difficulty modes it doesn't get too easy and it also adds quite a bit of replay value so you do get your money's worth. With the addition of the new 'Angel' and 'Demon' modes, the combat in the game it a lot more intuitive and flows more however later in the game some weapons start to become less useful and you end up not using them at all. The story and voice acting are top notch however be prepared for a little drama in the story. One of the biggest improvements however are the environments and boss battles. There are 20 missions in total and it took me about 7 9 hours to complete on my first playthrough. you spend almost all of the game in 'Limbo' a crazy and beautifully made environment with a nice color scheme and there is also a unique way the environment moves; the ground will break apart and the walls will crush together creating floating platforms where you can use your Angel and Demon abilities to grapple and pull yourself from place to place, this unique platforming mechanic does however get repetitive and sometimes kind of frustrating. The other thing that this game has done well are the boss battles. These are a joy to play, each one is unique and some are even original. the boss battles are designed perfectly however if they become to challenging, just restart the mission on a lower difficulty. e.g. My first playthrough was on Nephilum mode and at a certain boss i found it slightly difficult so i simply restarted the one mission on Devil Hunter mode and later I came back and finished it on Nephilum mode. I recommend buying the game on PC if you have all 3 platforms as on the PS3 and XBOX360 there is some texture pop-in in the cutscenes and, on PC it runs at 60 fps whereas on consoles it runs a a lower 30 fps. unless you look very closely at both side by side can you see a difference between PC and console. However if you only have a console then the game still looks great. DmC: Devil May Cry has: great story, great voice acting improved combat, fun and challenging bosses, great graphics, good music to accompany it all and well made, well textured, well colored, unique environments to experience it all in. It is defiantly worth buying at full price for newcomers and old school fans alike. (after you finish the game the first time, you unlock a white haired Dante costume/skin anyways so that should please some of the fans of the old DMC games).
  22. Feb 19, 2013
    I just finished the game and i found it amazing Don't hate it because they change the character or anything else of course they will it is a reboot. The studio made a great game and they certainly don't deserve an average score of 4.1 This game at least deserves an 8.5
  23. Feb 5, 2013
    The gameplay for DmC is amazing. It’s much easier now to keep a combo going and seeing as your ranking doesn’t keep on dropping (once you haven’t hit an enemy in a while but are still in combat) its not a bad thing, but obtaining those “SSS” rankings at the end of a mission still gives you a great sense of achievement and just further proves how awesome you are at this game. Enemies in theThe gameplay for DmC is amazing. It’s much easier now to keep a combo going and seeing as your ranking doesn’t keep on dropping (once you haven’t hit an enemy in a while but are still in combat) its not a bad thing, but obtaining those “SSS” rankings at the end of a mission still gives you a great sense of achievement and just further proves how awesome you are at this game. Enemies in the game do vary and honestly make you want to switch between every single weapon (in the majority of fights) to keep building your combo and just improve your overall skills in the game. Platforming is a major factor in DmC, and seeing as you have angel and demon powers, you do actually feel more like a powerful demon rather than in every previous Devil May Cry game. I love gilding through the air and on to platforms and avoiding enemies moves using the angel evade. The devil powers just make you feel like a powerful badass and you can easily destroy most enemies in the game just by using your devil powers (bar the ones that require angel abilities to be killed). Your primary weapons are Rebellion and Ivory (granted Ebony Ivory are the weakest weapons in the game and are pretty much useless). I rarely found myself using the primary weapons at any point after the second mission. DmC actually has a story that you can follow and its a pretty decent story for a hack slash game. I’m not going to spoil anything, but if you’ve played any Devil May Cry game before then the same old stands that Vergil is the main villain in the game and more or less always will be. That’s probably the one thing that “true Devil May Cry fans” will approve of. Its also a perfectly paced game and it never gives you one dull moment, you just power up through the first few levels, enjoy great platforming sections, good boss battles and then have some good cutscenes in between.

I honestly wasn’t looking forward to this game seeing how much of a disappointment Devil May Cry 4 was, but I ended up loving it and so far I have replayed it 6 times and have 1000G’d it and even though the levels eventually become the same old same old, I always had to go back and gather all the collectables and then completing the hardest difficulty in the game which is “Hell and Hell” mode. There are also 21 secret mission to be completed, some of them are challenging but honestly they just give you more value to the overall experience and replay value that you will get out of DmC. Needless to say, I can’t wait for Ninja Theory’s next instalment in this DmC reboot.
  24. Feb 12, 2013
    I wasn't too sure who to believe at first, the actual game review sites or the yuppies who cant appreciate a new take on a modern classic. I've played all the DMC games and I feel like Dante hasn't changed at all other than a few extra swears and a new adolescent attitude. And please people get over the cosmetics and give Ninja Theory some credit for taking on such a task in rebooting aI wasn't too sure who to believe at first, the actual game review sites or the yuppies who cant appreciate a new take on a modern classic. I've played all the DMC games and I feel like Dante hasn't changed at all other than a few extra swears and a new adolescent attitude. And please people get over the cosmetics and give Ninja Theory some credit for taking on such a task in rebooting a franchise with such fan loyalty and doing a great job modernizing and relating the game to some popular current issues Devil May Cry. As for the game itself, great combat and environments. It is very much like the old Devil May Cry games with rounded edges instead of square, if you know what i mean. If you haven't noticed all games today have taken the route of being more "accessible" or easier for new gamers; and how I remedy that is just up the difficulty and if you still don't like it quit playing and buy the Devil May Cry collection and play the old ones. Great game by a great developer, best thing Capcom has done for itself in quite awhile. Congrats to Ninja Theory and cant wait to see the next DmC game. Expand
  25. Feb 12, 2013
    This game has given me faith in game development, but unfortunately will go down as another flop thanks to the millions who became rabid for really dumb reasons and now we have a yet another ruined gamed thanks to these idiots. Congratulations to those who complained and attacked this game for every single reason they could make up, you won, and now what is really an awesome game willThis game has given me faith in game development, but unfortunately will go down as another flop thanks to the millions who became rabid for really dumb reasons and now we have a yet another ruined gamed thanks to these idiots. Congratulations to those who complained and attacked this game for every single reason they could make up, you won, and now what is really an awesome game will suffer the fate of crappy ones and another wound to the gaming industry has been opened.
    Pros- enhanced graphics with chaotic and beautiful environments, fast combat with endless ways to string combos together, heavy music, improved story and characters, great platforming that adds a new dynamic, multiple difficulties, lots of secrets.
    Cons- upgrades could have a little more depth and variety, additional weapons to play around with would be nice, a few bad scripted lines but no biggie, again the story has actually improved, crappy fan base, gamers today like destroying awesome things resulting in bad business practices/ layoffs/ series being ended, developers leaving and then go and complain when those things happen.
  26. Feb 3, 2013
    If you want to play an old DmC, go ahead and get the HD collection and stop whining, if you're up for a wonderful new game the get this game, it's amazing how many people want the same old over and over. Ninja Theory has created some of the most stunning graphical games ever, like Heavenly sword or Enslaved, which are incredible, the combat is not frustratingly complex, its a bit moreIf you want to play an old DmC, go ahead and get the HD collection and stop whining, if you're up for a wonderful new game the get this game, it's amazing how many people want the same old over and over. Ninja Theory has created some of the most stunning graphical games ever, like Heavenly sword or Enslaved, which are incredible, the combat is not frustratingly complex, its a bit more casual, the scenarios are amazing and the overall presentation of the game is great. To be honest, I was a great DmC fan, I finished all three first of them, but the fourth one, even tho it was amazingly well done, it was boring to the point that I just stopped playing it near the end, this one has a fresh story, characters and background, it makes you feel like its an evolution of the game rather than just another chapter. Expand
  27. ERB
    Aug 4, 2013
    Actually In my opinion this game is pretty good and awesome.I like the story and game play.Why do you guys hate It?I don't get It it.But you guys who hate this game,I don't what to say It but you guys are wrong.This game is really cool.In my opinion this is one of the best DMC games I've ever played.
  28. Feb 24, 2013
    This game has a very fast pasted and challenging combat system, which awards flawless and varied combat techniques (which can be quite difficult to master, if mastering this is even possible considering there are endless opportunities). They also do well with the battle music, and open up for several ways to end a problem, making repetitive gameplays not just a bore. For new people comingThis game has a very fast pasted and challenging combat system, which awards flawless and varied combat techniques (which can be quite difficult to master, if mastering this is even possible considering there are endless opportunities). They also do well with the battle music, and open up for several ways to end a problem, making repetitive gameplays not just a bore. For new people coming into the series (counting this view) the story is quite solid, with both likeable, creative and understandable antagonists. Expand
  29. Mar 6, 2014
    I have never play a Devil May Cry game before, so for me is the first one, and is an excellent game, fast pace, good combos, great graphics and visual effects, good story, remind me a lot Bayonetta, is a game for a certain type of player, if you like hack and smash you will love DMC, and please don't give bad notes just because dante don't looks like you want
  30. Jan 25, 2014
    Very cool art style. Just so different from anything out there. Really fun controls. Makes it fun and easy to do badass combos. Story is cool and characters are fun. The game is just fun. Really enjoyed its irreverent style. Great time

1. Jul 30, 2013
    If nothing else, DmC is sure to entertain with many hours of button hammering, fizzing combat. However, the experience as whole has hugely benefitted from a reboot and those who are familiar with the series will appreciate the new features and relish the opportunity relive Dante’s origin story. DmC, as a combat driven action title has held together the soul of the franchise, while enhancing all in-game features to create a unique experience for everyone.
  2. Ninja Theory deserves credit for not only delivering smooth combat and telling an entertaining story, but also for crafting detailed character models without lip-synch errors, who show real emotion and wear clothing that moves along with them. This is what a 2013-game should look like. [February 2013, p.72]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Ninja Theory are calling the DMC shots now and they're doing it well. The fighting mechanics are a little bit easier to master and perhaps not as deep as before, but on the other hand the storytelling is improved with skillfully crafted cutscenes. Put up with a rather dull introduction and you're in for a great game.