5.0

1. Apr 6, 2014
    I played because it in PS plus, and woah! I really like it. Full action packed game, challenging combats that makes you think how to beat enemies that have weak and strong points. I also found characters more charismatic than in the former games.
  2. Apr 4, 2014
    This is a low 8/10. I didn't complete nearly half the content the game has to offer. For the simple reason that this type of game really doesn't appeal to me. Now why would I give a game that doesn't appeal to me an 8/10? Well first off this is my first entry into the devil may cry franchise. And for what it is, they did a really good job with this origin story (as far as origin stories go). I couldn't get into doing the secret areas. I couldn't really get into the environments. I didn't really like alot of the characters. The game is hampered by it's low resolution of 720p...which is a real pity.

Why the 8? The game is absolutely beautiful...even with it's 720p handicap. The enemies the weapons....Dante's movements....the physics...everything is top knotch. The acting is even pretty good (alot better than resident evil). Like I said I didn't feel the need to learn all the combo's or complete the higher difficulties or do the secret areas. It just didn't appeal to me. I played to advance the story while marveling at how cool the fighting in the game was. That said, you can pull off some really brutally satisfying combo's in this game. Combat is fun in this game, period. There are a ton of weapons and it's satisfying to vary your attacks. Also the slow motion final blow to the enemies in the area is just awesome every time. It's fun.

My major gripes with the game were that I felt (when not in combat) like I was on rails most of the time. I didn't feel any connection or understanding toward the environment I was fighting in. So it was hard to feel anything toward the universe past the individual characters in the story. The boss battles were all very satisfying. The music was superb.
    1 problem was the ranged weapons, mainly ebony and ivory the iconic dual pistols of dante. They are terrible WEAK in this game. Their special powers ad combo's do next to no damage they are there to look badass and increase style points (the point system). I get what they were trying to do though. Being able to kill everyone with your pistols would detract from the game. SO their only real use is to look badass and to keep the style meter going (which is important).
    I really really enjoyed the final boss fight in this game. It was just so well done and so satisfying to play. It really made me want to go out and buy the sequel on the offchance I might get to experience another boss battle like that. The game didn't appeal to me, but I can appreciate a good game when I see one. 8/10.
  3. Apr 3, 2014
    Utter garbage, it destroyed every single thing build by the previous entries, the gameplay mechanics were casualised for non-skilled gamers, the music when from original rock-classic-techno to dubstep in seek of skrillex audience, the game has tons of flaws, like bugs, insta-ranking up, color coded enemies, zero difficulty, piss easy and unimpressive boss fights. The last fight was a plot twist out of no where.
    The dialogs were written by a 12 year old, such an ignorant view of being cool.
    Capcom hit a new low with this game
  4. Apr 1, 2014
    I don't undestand all the bad/evil critics...**** awesome game..Varieted gameplay, lots of weapons and cool combos to use. Just don't get a 10 because I didn't liked the end.
  5. Mar 25, 2014
    great game. Combat system is very addictive but kind of repetive, storyline is not very satisfying ( not what i bought the game for though), soundtrack is amazing, and the weapon unlocks, and special moves are pretty cool too.
  6. Mar 23, 2014
    I had a lot more fun playing DMC than playing God of war Ascension ! Plateforming sections and control-issues aside, the game offer great movesets and weapons and really cool boss fights.
  7. Mar 20, 2014
    Wow, for anyone who hasnt played devilmaycry this is a must play game. The crying fans need to be quiet, if this hadn't been called devilmaycry, it would of score a 9 all over the board for amazing gameplay, graphics and story alone.
  8. Mar 16, 2014
    Not being a fan of the original games, and frankly, hardly giving them a chance is what may make me seem rather bias throughout this review. However, I still feel I am entitled to what I have to say, so here I go.

DMC is, at least in my eyes, a decent game. Is it great? No. Does it have innovative, revolutionary mechanics? Far from it. Is it fun? Definitely.

DMC takes you through
    multiple environments, allowing you to hack, slash and bash your way through using a score based melee system. The game contains multiple collectibles and challenges, the former mostly in the form of keys, and the latter in the form of doors, opened using said keys. Each challenge is effectively a little combat or platforming section, in which you must navigate or battle your way through to an objective. Rather uninspired, but quite a lot of fun.

In terms of characters, they seem rather unlikable and not all that unique. Full of cliches and phrases which only seem to be achieved through Western developers, they offer very little to the plot, and only serve as stepping stones (and occasionally, obstacles) in what seems to be the games heart; combat. Don't be expecting A-grade writing on the story, either; just another cliche which feels rather tiresome and dull.

The killer feature of the game is it's combat system, which is fluent and almost perfect, making use of multiple weapons and equipment, with a set of upgrades purchasable from the store. The environments also feel unique; leaping through limbo in the style of a news broadcasting station or a dance club is rather entertaining.

Overall, the game is lacking quite a bit, but I still feel it isn't deserving of the drastically low scores people seem to be giving it. It's an okay game; not terrible, not great. I can see how it may be insulting to an original DMC fan, but the best cure for that is to not think of it as DMC at all, but a spinoff, an extra, a little sideshow.
  9. Mar 6, 2014
    O.K for the sake of being honest I have played very little of the other DMC games mainly watching my brother playing it. So as a newcomer I liked this game I found the others to hard and would generally would not play this kind of game, it was the main guy Dante who pulled me in and there lies the controversy of this game.

Die hards of the game will hate the new look and new attitude of
    Dante but as a newcomer it does not bother me to much. The game is a lot easier than previous entries in the series but if you still want the challenge there are plenty of difficulty's to choose from including the Dante must die mode and heaven and hell or if you are really hardcore hell and hell.

But this is a GOOD game and if you have not played a DMC game before and if you are not a fan of fighting games (normally I hate them) I would still recommend it.

The Good- Excellent level design the world feels like it wants and actively tries to kill you
    The Bad- Negative scores given by fanboys unfairly scoring this game 0's 1's 2's
    The Ugly- Oh Ninja Theory why would you do that with the wig hair joke you really thought that was a good idea?

Final Verdict: 8/10 A Dam Good Game
    Have a look at it even if you generally don't play fighter games like me.
  10. Mar 6, 2014
    I have never play a Devil May Cry game before, so for me is the first one, and is an excellent game, fast pace, good combos, great graphics and visual effects, good story, remind me a lot Bayonetta, is a game for a certain type of player, if you like hack and smash you will love DMC, and please don't give bad notes just because dante don't looks like you want
  11. Mar 2, 2014
    I loved the old games, and this one certainly did not disappoint me. A reboot is not supposed be about making the exact same thing over again, like Halo 1. Let the masterpiece be before you mess with what is perfect. If you don't like it just don't play. They did a great job with a new story and some very well developed characters. The game is still wide open to take alot of the same roads as the last one. I am looking forward to the sequel and stealing the hair cut! Expand
  12. Feb 9, 2014
    this game deserves atleast 8. 4.9? WTF. i understand that fanboys dont like the new Dante, but for someone like me who never played and doesnt care about DMC franchise, and looks at DMC:Devil May Cry not like a sequel to favorite series, but as a stand alone game: this game is pretty damn sweet. i guess i enjoyed it more than Darksiders. RECOMENDED
  13. Feb 8, 2014
    This game is fun as hell. Sure it's not the same as the first 3, (I played those as well) but it's still a great game. The voice acting for Dante is kinda meh at points but the game was still really fun. **** the negative reviews.
  14. Feb 6, 2014
    DMC is a total reboot of Devil May Cry franchise, done by a new team. I played the other games in the franchise, and though I enjoyed them all, none of them truly wowed me. Honestly, neither did this--but I probably liked it more than any of the others.

Story
    Prior DMC games have plots that are usually only about half-way coherent. DMC is a step up in the this regard, creating a story
    that is mostly coherent, if not stunning. Dante and his brother Vergil are terrorists working to bring a Demon King that is secretly controlling the world. This is somewhat underutilized, since Dante only fights demons during gameplay, facing human opponents only briefly in cutscenes. Nevertheless, I was okay with it. The world is also reimagined, focusing on the realm of Limbo, where demons drag Dante to try and kill him. Overall, the most fleshed out of any DMC world building to date.

Graphics
    The game's graphics are solid, but nothing special. Just about average for a PS3 game.

Gameplay
    It's fast, continuous action. The sheer diversity of weapons and actions sometimes almost seem too much to me. You can string just about anything into a combo, which actually kind of made me feel there was less depth than there could have been. Still, when it works, it can be fun to swing from one enemy to the next, assaulting them with a barrage of nonsensical demon and angel weapons. As usual, the moves are totally over-the-top.

Overall
    It was a fairly fun way to pass the time, but it never elevated itself to memorable levels. 7/10.
  15. Feb 5, 2014
    This game is better than I expected. Combat is mostly pretty smooth and still feels pretty good when you play on higher difficulties and pull something elegant off. It's much easier on the whole though. There are very very few real bosses and none of them are really at all difficult. Odd for a game that's entirely action based.

The atmosphere is excellent in terms of visuals, stage
    design is creative but platforming is simple and less imaginative. The characters range from bland to somewhat likable but Dante is cringe worthy until about the middle where he sort of fades out.

The plot is simple and paced fairly well. Plus it was the rental for last month so not a bad deal for ps+ users. For free you might as well try it if you like action and have time. Otherwise, it's something you can afford to miss.
  16. Jan 29, 2014
    This game has everything you want from the devil may cry series and more. The third installment in the series left me a bit stale but after playing this game I loved it. The weapon system, style system, item system, further content afterwards. EVERYTHING about this game was done right. Keep up the great work.
  17. Jan 25, 2014
    Very cool art style. Just so different from anything out there. Really fun controls. Makes it fun and easy to do badass combos. Story is cool and characters are fun. The game is just fun. Really enjoyed its irreverent style. Great time
  18. Jan 24, 2014
    DmC is my biggest surprise of the year, and it is a shame that short-sighted fans have condemned the reboot simply based on Dante's character design.

To start, I have played all the Devil May Cry's and DmC is my favorite. DmC is more fun, more clever and more stylized that all the DMCs before it. Switching between weapons mid-combo is a blast. You never know what to expect in limbo,
    and it is awesome to watch levels transform as you make your way through them.

The most important thing to note though, is that the new Dante is so much more relatable than the old Dante. The first time a ridiculous demon appears and the level transforms, and Dante says, "What the **** **** You will be right there with him.
  19. Jan 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok, have to clear this up. this game deserves much more than a 4.9, which is the current user score.

(spoilers)

I'm a veteran of the devil may cry franchise, been playing since the 1st one. While I'm very attached to the old dante (as attached as you can be to a character you know so little about), as a video game (and DMC) enthusiast, I can't let that get in my way.

This game is technologically and critically head and shoulders above previous installments in the franchise. While I think it may have happened a little bit too soon, I really hope to see a sequel to this game.

I never felt attached to old Dante. He was always just some badass in a red coat with a sword. and that was awesome. I've always felt that the DMC story line was obscure to mask a lack of coherence. With the Reboot, we're able to know the characters so much more. You get to watch this young, lost badass become the **** talking demon hunter we know and love. You get to watch him build a bond with his lost brother and then see this bond torn away, wo witness the borth and growth of characters and relationships like previous DMC games never even thought about doing.. old DMC never made me feel anything, except "that was awesome". With Neo-Dante, it's so much more awesome, and also emotional. great story, great fastpaced and open ended frantic action gameplay leave most people behind. it's too "hardcore" for some people. and with better story telling and game play.

This game is great. anything below a seven is unwarranted, submitted by an uneducated and/or stubborn and/or ignorant and/or narrow minded fanboy
  20. Jan 14, 2014
    Sit back and enjoy the story and graphics - and the graphics are stunning.

I haven't been so awestruck by swirly colourful graphical beautifulness since Bayonetta.

I'm rubbish at fighting games. My reactions are slow and I can't remember the keypress sequences. In DMC thats OK because its easy(ish) on the lower difficulty levels. It took me about 14 hours to complete with lots of
    fairly random button hammering. You need to learn the jumps, but the rest you can leave to chance. If your kids are watching then just thell them its on uber hard difficulty and pretend all your lucky killer moves are deliberate.

Overall I still preferred Bayonetta, but DMC was a blast.
  21. Jan 13, 2014
    I played this game as part of the Instant Game Collection available for free to Playstation Plus members.

This is the best game of its type I have ever played, period. I was completely surprised at how outstanding the quality of the game is and I highly recommend it. The graphics and art style are just fantastic, the sound and soundtrack compliment the gameplay really well, and the
    controls are just great. It has an engaging plot with twists that kept me interested throughout. I didn't find the gameplay frustrating in the least. I found that even in very highly populated fight scenes, enemies that weren't in camera view wouldn't attack from off screen. To be fair, once I realized this I was able to use it a few times to get through some tough fights by positioning the camera away from the tougher enemies while I widdled down the weaker ones, but the end result was a very fun experience. DMC is very accessible and I loved this game. Developer Ninja Theory's finest.

The only trouble I find is that games in this genre continued to be priced, day one, for 60 dollars. There's a lot of competition these days from games that will keep players interested up to 100 hours and sometimes more. DMC, on the first playthrough, might take maybe about 15 hours. By comparison, Assassin's Creed games usually last about 30 hours for me, and Batman: Arkham City over 100 hours. So, it can be a hard sell - which is why I didn't pick it up when it came out and I suspect is the reason why others may not have. And it's a shame because a lot more people might have given the game a chance if it were priced better. Despite its quality, a game in this genre should not be priced at more than 40 dollars, but that's just my opinion. In any case, Playstaion Plus members can now play it for free. I'm really glad I got to play it and am eagerly looking forward to Ninja Theory's next game.
  22. Jan 12, 2014
    Pretty awful. Glad It was free with PS+ though so i didn't waste $60 on this mess.
    Point system ( or soul) feels really undone (it seems to take forever to just get one orb let alone two for boss fights.. hey i'm not a gamer that can beat a boss in one try usually..)
  23. Jan 9, 2014
    This is the first time I've posted how I've felt about a game online b/c it's the first time I thought I really needed to, I feel this way because the game had really great reviews from critcs but sold a million copys under what capcom was expecting and for some reason people who played the game didn't like it no idea y though, all these reasons make me fear the are not going to continue the reboot and make a DmC 2, now onto how i feel about the game, the games been great so far decent graphics coupled by excellent gameplay and the story was pretty dam good, the old dmc for me was mediocre excludingg 4 wich was prty good I didn't really enjoy Dante as a charecter in the old. One but I liked him in this one ( I did this on an iPad so I apoligise in advance if it's hardto read. Expand
  24. Jan 8, 2014
    To all who hated the DmC: Devil May Cry game listen this game is a remake of the old Devil May Cry and as a loyal fan I think it really, but Dante's character could had been better written instead of him being a or "Emo". Although DmC: Devil May Cry has a few issue like gameplay, easily getting a triple S (SSS) ranking, the no aiming system, and a few other things but if you guys have face issue please comment them. This game is really amazing and Ninja Theory please as a fan to the series all of us DmC: Devil May Cry fans and Devil May Cry fans we want to see more and oh my god if we get to play with either DmC: Devil May Cry with Dante's father, Trish, Lady, and even Nero and guys side note here the chick from the second Devil May Cry isn't memorable as Lady and Trish. Ninja Theory we can't wait to see what you can do for this next generation of gameplay hell it would be amazing to see including a Devil trigger a Angel Trigger oh my god that would awesome or even other new gameplay features we never got in the old Devil May Cry. Expand
  25. Jan 5, 2014
    It is the biggest suprise I had in 2013 that this game is actually real good. When the game first was introduced I also was dissapointed. I did not like the look of the new dante and this game felt weird by the screenshots. Saw this for free as a ps plus member, thought I should give it a try and dont regret the decision after all.
    its slower than its predecessors and the missing lock on
    is a big down point but the possibility to fight with all weapons at the same time switching smootlhy during the fight is awesome. Like also the art style and the characters are not that bad either, altough they up vergil.
    It aint perfect but it is much better than I have expected.
  26. Jan 3, 2014
    For the record, I played DMC1 and DMC3 and enjoyed them very much I had low expectations of this game given the shown trailers, but found it a very enjoyable experience. The story, very much in line with the series, is again completely non-sensical, even if it tries to take itself seriously. The fighting, which is the core of every DMC game, is actually better than in other DMC games. The customisation has been tuned down a bit, but there were very few people who could master 8+ different weapons and their combo's anyway (as in DMC3). So it's a good thing they simplified it.
    Combo's have been streamlined in between weapons, which makes them a lot more logical to execute.
    There are at times also tips given on how to deal with certain times of ennemies, but very gradually which is a welcome change.

The characters: The main antagonist is actually pretty well crafted and believable, but you can't say the same of Dante. For the main character, he's incredibly childish and non-believable.
    There are however a few pretty good jokes hidden in the game, but there's also a lot of 14 year old chatter.

Graphics are OK, but design quality varies greatily in between levels. There are a few masterpieces of design in the game, but there are also a few questionable (albeit original designed) and tasteless decision choices on two bosses (in my opinion), which was a bit offsetting.

But all in all, a good experience.
  27. Jan 3, 2014
    First things first: I'm a very big DMC series fan. And I was a fan who no longer give much importance to the series. Now thanks to this game: Dante is back and in shape! GoodBye Nero (was that the name?). DmC is a very cool action game!! I really loving this game! I'm writing this review in half of my progression in the game and I want to play a second time.. maybe third.

The Gameplay
    (10/10): super smooth, very fast and very rewarding! super mega big combos with lots of weapons in the air in the gound where ever you want! I think is the most rewarding dmc game in gameplay! Big smile in my face when I hear "SADISTIC" in a hollow voice lol. very cool. Really, this game makes me laugh of pleasure. To the fans they should play in nephilim mode, is more difficult and it's not very easy to reach the SSS rank (only once in my playtrough). Man the weapons are a delight!!! Nice addiction the training mode, very useful!!

The Graphics (9/10): put this simple Limbo is a very beautiful place.. shame is full of demons the producers gave much love to this city very colorful and is always changing top down bottom up! cool the city changes when we walk on it! seriously often stopped just to rotate the camera and see the scenery. so much happens in those landscapes that we can not see due to the frantic combat.

The Sound (9/10): in my opinion the best in the series. period. i remember playing dmc3 and was boring always the same music. Now yes this is a soundtrack. Heavy metal with electronic music. cool stuf with many different tunes that give perfect balance to what we see on screen. The music is dynamic to, depending on your performance in combat and style. The voice acting is great!! great job!!

Conclusion: Ninja Theory respects DMC and is fans: as we play the game we understand it. Thanks to their imagination the series will not die because it seemed to be the destiny of Dante. The world of gaming has changed a lot and DMC needed to change to. I dont understand that low scores!! why?!!! Dont want the newcomers to play this amazing action game?! Now make yourself a favour go play this game and have a hell of a good time (hell man!!) with style!!

Dante is back!! with lots of style! never thought I'd say this again!

Almost forgot: Dante! very nice kid. super style and bad ass!! always mocking! I was tired of that kind of japanese super hero/manga/anime from past games. this dante is more human. much more human. very well designed with great attention to detail. and is story is simple but fun and better than past games. And Vergil is very cool to. For me better than dmc3.

Cons: I can not give a 10 I wish I could because this game got it all, but I cant because is a little to short. Some missions are way to small (like make a few jumps and kill a few demons) but on the other hand this game screams repeatability all the way. I just finish and I must play two or more times to finish everything I left behind. And it's fun to play so it will not be boring. Another thing: where's the taunt button (this one is personnel)?!

PS.: that Devil Trigger is cool stuff.. again the "cool" word!!
  28. Dec 10, 2013
    worst game i have ever played devil may cry 1 ,3 and 4 were nice but this is total i'd better play math games... goodbye devil may cry series from 4 nice game to a trash one it's better without this game in the series it makes devil may cry look stupid
  29. Dec 5, 2013
    Ok, let me set this record straight. Yes, this game has no real connection to the original four Devil May Cry games. It is set into a different universe with a different origin story of the two brothers. However, as a stand alone game, it's not bad. Technically that's what it is. What this game does is tell an alternate story of Dante. This is actually no different than the Legend of Zelda games. Think about it, there are three different timelines after Ocarina of Time, now take three games from each timeline such as Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, and the Adventure of Link. These three are separate universes and DMC is the same when it comes to Devil May Cry. People are judging this because it doesn't go for the same plot, it doesn't have the same look for the characters, but is that really such a bad thing? This is Capcom working with Ninja Theory for the first time, and sure, it's not the best but it's not the worst either. The only reason I didn't give this game a full 10/10 is because of a few things: there are a few plot holes, the game was ridiculously easy, and the game didn't have as many bosses as its alternate-universe predecessors. But judging it because it doesn't follow the story or the same portrayal of the original games is petty and annoying and I'll thank you to leave Dante's look or the story out of your complaints. Expand
  30. Nov 22, 2013
    Ok, i play this game and this is my opinion, new Dante its a garbage, i want the old Dante in the next game, stop whit this reboot or for me DMC is very dead, i want a DEVIL MAY CRY 5!!! And not DmC2! Capcom wake up, stop whit this or you lost many players.
  31. Nov 19, 2013
    Fantastic game! I really didn't expect to have this much fun when I started playing. It's making me want to take it slow and enjoy the awesome world depicted in the game for fear of finishing it too fast and not finding something else as good. I created an account on metacritic just now to write this review for one great game. One of the best of this generation.

If you notice all the
    'Negative' reviews on here are for fans of the PS2 games dissing it for no good reason. The game improves upon the older games in every aspect. Yes, I have played the older games and I like this one a lot better. Expand
  32. Nov 12, 2013
    I dont know why everyone is hating. I am an fan f the old games, played them all, loved them and their classical style. Ninja theory tried something new, and it was awesome. Sure Dante is more edgy but thats the whole point of making a younger dante. The combat is perfect, I actually use the other weapons, you have too on some enemies!! Before in other games, I felt i had to go out of my way to use the another weapon just for the sake of changing it up a bit. Before, rebllion proved so strong, that it was pointless to use other weapons for dante. The firearms on the other and were not that great for this DmC, i have to admit. the charge shot wasnt really selling it for me at least. As for devil trigger, i like how colors and surrounds sort of change, but the way demons just rise up is annoying, by the time i bring them down, DT is half gone, and your only using it on one enemy. the slow m when killing the last enemy is really nice touch, and love the grapple hooks addition to the game. The story is pretty simple, building up to the last boss fight, but at least you are not thrown into fighting demos in the previous games without knowing who is what and whats your goal in the game. Its a bit of a cliche making the brothers enemies in the end, we all knew a fight was coming, but dont make it the last and final. It just ruins the story. Plus the dlc, I didnt buy that vergil just went evil after spending all his life fighting demons and searching for his brother. Dante may have sightly betrayed him, but only to ensure humans have true freedom from demons. they shouldve went with dante vs. vergil fight on mission 19, and later mundus fight as the final boss. I dont why everyone is hating on vergil too, hes still badass here and actually has a goal and some character development, in dmc3, you have no idea why you are fighting vergil, just because he wants more power, please... all in all, it was an amazing game, superbly made, in support of unreal engine. The plot does need a little more mystery, characters, and a satisfying twist. Expand
  33. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Played DMC1 when it came out and I was so impressed with all the style that I kept playing till DMD. Played DMC3 till DMD as well because I like DMC1 so much but I thought it was acceptable. I thought DMC4 deserved a 0/10 and I've stopped caring ever since. DmC is practically a new game. If the new generation enjoys it then so be it. I never understood what most kids see in movies like twilight, hunger games and these new disney tv shows, but it seems this is what Team Ninja is going for with DmC so I bid them God speed. I hope those same kids will like this as well. From the media previews and gameplay all around the internet and from watching the first 5 mins of the game (too boring to watch any further), if I had to rate it based on these experiences only, I would give it a 3 Expand
  34. Oct 13, 2013
    This game is best described as a mediocre to poor beat em up, Hack and Slash game.
    This is game is fun for a couple hours and then its gets down right boring. it is a good rental to pass time or perfect for guilty pleasure and I strongly recommend to avoid buying this game above $20. It is a game designed for those who are not aware of this genre. But even then it holds your hands and the
    difficulties make you question the mindset of the developer.

The game pales in comparison to its predecessors. DMC3/4 has been known to be the most intricate and in-depth juggernaut of the hack and slash genre, and now DmC has turned into a regular beat em up game that has the quality of a PSN game. The graphics may initially look pretty, but its gets painful at the eyesoring colors and brightness. The frames really drop to 20s, which may be a PS3 thing and ruins the game. The boss battles are the worst offenders in the list, which is filled with countless cutscenes to break game flow and lack of inspiration or innovation.

The platforming is the only things that I enjoyed due to it pulling me out of the dull, one-dimensional combat. Other than a couple of tracks, the entire soundtrack is forgettable. The story is very pretentious, and melodramatic, filled with unexplained plot points. at least DMC knew it was cheesy but DmC was just hollow. reminded me of Twilight in some occasions.

It is sad that DMC1 inspired god of war and DmC is now trying to be like god of war, which it fails even at that. considering the fact that the cutscenes clock around 3hrs, with most of them unskippable, the gameplay is only 2-3hrs. So the game can be done in one sitting for a person with any skill level. The replay value is pointless since they tacked on difficulties that barely test you and the combat is VERY repetitive, to the point of being just rinse and repeat. There is no room for experimentation or finding new ways to play the game.
    To put this in perspective, DMC4 which came out in 2008 has better frames, crispier graphics and a combat engine that is still unrivaled to this date and after 6yrs we are left with DmC. Such a shame.
  35. Oct 12, 2013
    DMC is a great hack and slash game, the art style is amazing and it kind of has a dubstep feel to it. The voice acting is great, the soundtrack is amazing, boss fights are really good. From having all those good things DMC also has its downfalls such as Ninja Theory changing Dantes and Vergils character models. DMC also focuses too much at talking and forcing you into Limbo. During some parts in the game it almost feels like Ninja theory is trying to disrespect the first four games, it just seems like Ninja theory dosint give a crap about the Devil May Cry fanbase. The reason i call the new Devil May Cry DMC is because this is not a Devil May Cry game to me, its just a great knockoff. Th ending is pretty unexpected, although i should've expected what Virgil does. I think Capcom is trying to disrespect Devil May Cry just like they did to Mega Man. Expand
  36. Oct 11, 2013
    An excellent, well-rounded game with superb graphics, epic gameplay and an intriguing story. For a reboot, they paid homage to old traditions in DMC, while bringing so many new and fresh things to appeal to the modern and current generation of gamers. This game is great for new fans, and old fans alike who are willing to actually play it with and give it a try. This reboot brings new life and fresh blood into the franchise, and I look forward to the prospect of a sequel. Expand
  37. Sep 28, 2013
    No se enojen conmigo por una opinión personal pero... Para mí "DmC" es un juego fenomenal y divertido. Se notan cambios menores, pero el juego de Ninja Theory es, para mi gusto la tercera mejor entrega de Devil May Cry y, además me agradó revivir la experiencia que lo empezó todo desde la primera y mejor entrega.
  38. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Heavy spoilers here, so don't read this if you plan on buying this game, or are currently playing and haven't finished it yet.
    So, when the demo was released I played it to death and enjoyed it fully and I bought the full game on release. I thoroughly enjoyed this game right till the very end.
    I'll be reviewing all of the game now.
    The Story: The story was very cliché with major plot points such as: This person predictably got killed, or, the bad guy did something bad and predictable. What I'm getting at is the story is very predictable, even the 'Surprise' final boss that I'll get into when I get into it.
    The Combat: The combat was very fluid and had a lot of crazy combos, the controls were easy to get a hand of in about 30 seconds and it was so easy to switch your weapons. While removing the lock-on system from past DMC games, it is one of the best combat systems I have used, and is almost identical to God of War's, which is incredible.
    Gameplay: Because most of the gameplay is the combat, and you've already read that (hopefully) will not be covered here. The movement isn't too fast, and isn't too slow, but there was quite a lot of unnecessary platforming, which disrupts the flow of the game.
    The Bosses: The bosses were (mostly) fun to fight, SO. Bob Barbas is one of the best bosses in any DMC game, he is a dick to you throughout the game and then you get to fight him about 1/3 through the game and then you fight him IN THE NEWS (how awesome?), this boss is so well designed during the battle, you have to smash these red spots on the floor to bring down a shield and then attack him, and you feel the need to kill him because in the middle of the fight, Bob reports that The Order is being raided by SWAT teams, who are targeting Vergil and Kat. This only angers Dante, while Bob taunts him that they cannot hope to defeat Mundus, which drives you to kill him At the end of the battle, Dante shoots Bob Barbas' human form, killing him. Saying 'Breaking news Bob, you're fired!'
    Mundus, the person you've been wanting to fight since the beginning, is a Re-skin of a boss from one of the first levels, who was hard because you didn't have all the awesome upgrades and weapons at the start, is now re-skinned and easier than ever.
    And then you fight Virgil, who has been the bad guy in previous Devil May Cry titles, This fight brings no skills you have learnt throughout the game and is straight up fighting, and is BORING.
    But with all its flaws, it still is an awesome game and I highly reccommend buying it. 8/10
  39. Sep 14, 2013
    Dmc its not bad like everyone think! Open your mind. Dante its back, and has a fantastic gameplay and better than the previous games! I played all the DMC's, and when I beated the game, I realized that Dante will be as it once! Before saying anything about the new Dante, know that Capcom wanted to change his style, and changed for the better in my opinion, because there were many mistakes in the other games that made Capcom remade the entire franchise! If you play the entire game noticed that it is rather a Devil May Cry, passing the story, Dante demonstrates why his personality changes, thus becoming the Dante we know! The same happens with the story of Vergil, who this game is weaker than Dante, because if you play the DLC Vergil's Downfall notice that the power increases Vergil and leaves to see how will be the continuation! The next game will be much better, and rejoices all fans of the series! I also think that you guys had liked the change at the beginning! No, and now I realize that everything is moving towards better! Gives a chance and wait for the new game! Ninja Theory is very cool, Capcom made ​​a great choice! 8.9 is the note I give! The rest if you ask me, if you can buy the game and play! Will not regret it! It's better than promised! Expand
  40. Sep 3, 2013
    Can I just say, Reboot. I am a fan of the original games and of this one, for all the haters that seem to bash it reread the fifth word a time or two. They did an amazing job with this game. I'm a fan just as much of it as of the original ones. So lay off and think of it as a new light on an amazing set of classics.
  41. Aug 31, 2013
    This game suffers from one crippling flaw which completely hampered my enjoyment and made it impossible for me to derive any pleasure from playing it.

The game does not contain even a single reference to Shrek.
  42. Aug 30, 2013
    Fantastic game with barely any flaws. Anybody who dislikes the game because of the previous games is just sad. They needed this and it worked out perfectly. Amazing graphics, incredible gameplay, awesome story, great music.. I just dont see the "bad" people are talking about.

See the thing is, if this game wasnt called "DmC", it would be one of the best games most of these people have
    ever played. But because they rebooted the DmC franchise, you losers are going crazy. Look at that. 561 dislikes? Thats pathetic. This game deserves the high ratings and the praise. I hate that this game gets looked down on because a bunch of losers cant handle the fact that they rebooted the franchise. Get over it, and heres to hoping you didnt ruin the chance of them making DmC 2 cause i am actually looking forward to playing that masterpiece. Expand
  43. ERB
    Aug 4, 2013
    Actually In my opinion this game is pretty good and awesome.I like the story and game play.Why do you guys hate It?I don't get It it.But you guys who hate this game,I don't what to say It but you guys are wrong.This game is really cool.In my opinion this is one of the best DMC games I've ever played.
  44. Jul 30, 2013
    It seems like NT release a new game every 3 years. If you're a fanboy who dismiss this game just because Dante looks different, then quit being little babies because you're missing out. Instead of letting Capcom slap something cheap for DMC5, which fanboys would've called it the best game ever made, they let NT develop the game so that it can appeal to Western gamers.

A lot of companies
    like to expand their business and while the change may feel like a middle finger to the hardcore fans at first, they should really give this game a chance because it's really good. It runs on 30 FPS but there's no slowdowns and the action is smooth so it does feel like the game is running on 60 FPS. It's free style combat is over-the-top, stylish and just as engaging as the previous DMC games.

It's ok to compare new Dante to old Dante but in the end, you should judge him for who he is and whether or not you like him. Not just say "oh, this isn't the Dante I know and love", it's called a reboot. A lot of these fanboys can't accept new life in their beloved franchise, even though it did something different, but they bash on other franchises for releasing the same thing, not going to name names.

The graphics, art style and level designs is stunning, it's just so good to look at. The game is also backed up by it's awesome rock/electro soundtrack. As soon as you complete the first mission with the "Never Surrender" soundtrack playing in the background that's been used well for the first level, you'll be instantly hooked into the game.

Change is great, even if it's not as good as the old DMC. NT is great when it comes to story, does Heavenly Sword or Enslaved ring any bells? The story is simple but what lies within the story is a complex theme of corporation and capitalism. The whole idea of Dante fighting demons in Limbo feels a bit like Inception, which is awesome. Puzzles are replaced by platforming bits that were well made, although there is a Spider-Man thing going on when Dante swings from one platform to another.

Dante swears a lot in DmC and he's more of a sexual deviant but the new Dante is just as confident and fearless as the old Dante, so DmC and DMC, while DmC is quite different, does have a few aspects in common that does DmC justice to the original series. One being the character and the other being the fast, energetic and intense action.

While hardcore DMC fans might find the lower levels less challenging than DMC, since it pretty much hands out S ranks, it's a great way to introduce new fans or casual gamers who aren't particularly a fan of the franchise or the genre in general and maybe those who find DMC games, especially 3, too hard.

There are a variety of difficulties so for hardcore DMC fans who didn't find DmC challenging, try Heaven and Hell and then try Hell and Hell but you'll have to unlock it first which shouldn't be a complaint since it's really rewarding. After all, you wouldn't want a game that hands out stuff to you.

Heaven and Hell is not as easy as haters say it is but it's certainly not impossible. The idea of having to constantly switch from Angel Mode to Devil Mode gives both weapon types an advantage and disadvantage instead of just upgrading weapons to make them stronger like most games do.

The game is not without it's flaws though. There's no lock on feature which sucks because it would have been useful, especially while I'm fighting a group of demons both aerial and ground enemies. You can pretty much defeat bosses easily by using the same strategy that you use when fighting common demons, though boss battles, especially Bob Barbas, are creative.

Capcom's retarded sale tactics of releasing a couple of skins as DLC are another issue, because one of which is the classic Dante. There's no taunt but that's not really an issue since Dante already has a bad mouth in the cutscenes.

In the end, DmC pulls off an unlikely reboot that feels fresh while holding on to what makes DMC so good. It's probably the third best game in the franchise. If you want to hold on to old Dante, why don't you just play the previous games. Original and 3 are still the best anyways.

The game may be a commercial failure but that's because fans boycott the game, not because it's bad. Call of Duty breaks world record sales on day one, does that mean it's the best gaming franchise ever made? Recommended for those who aren't a fan of DMC. Recommended for hardcore fans as well but a lot of them are still skeptical so it's best that they rent the game or borrow my copy from a friend.
  45. Jul 24, 2013
    Devil may cry 4 was a HUGE flop, they MUST reboot the story, and the new style is AMAZING.
    The gameplay is pure fun,
    all the weapons are useful, not like in the others, when you can play ONLY with a sword.
  46. Jul 6, 2013
    Although not one of the best games I have ever played, I did have fun with this game. It took a little time to actually get into, but when I finally did I enjoyed it.
  47. Jul 2, 2013
    DMC does nearly everything right. Cool graphics, very fast and motivating gameplay and great characters. I can't understand, why the old school- fans are crying about the new dante. Furthermore, the overall style of the game is just great. Did you even play it? Just do it. you will get some of the (graphically) best designed levels ever.
  48. Jul 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. DmC is a decent action game but clearly inferior with the previous Devil May Cry.

The weak point of this game is the story, horrible writing with awful characters. A main character who says "My name by the way is Dante, but you can call me Dante the demon killer, has a nice ring don't you think and saying ****
    If you compare the new Dante with the old, the reboot is totally garbage in personality and feat.
    All cutscene are boring, nothing cool, impressive or memorable.

The gameplay is a downgrade and you can button mash, gun damage is weak, 2 stances with blue vs blue/red vs red... 2 dodges buttons, no manual lock, 30 fps,...It's feels like Heavenly Sword, the demons and boss are too easy and uninspired.

The soundtrack is ok for the theme of this game.

The good point is the artistic design but inconveniant is full of colors orange, blue, green(Unreal oblige) with a lot of repetitive platforming.

The game is in developpement for 3 years, you can finish this game in 7 hours, it's very short. The replayability is not very good, too easy and not challenging.

The ending of DmC is bad and rush. "i don't know who i am anymore"

Nice try Capcom and Ninja theory but this DmC has bad influence with teen like swearing. The franchise already appeal western gamers, Devil May Cry and Dante don't need a reboot.
  49. Jun 17, 2013
    The Game has solid overall gameplay but the characters are far too different from the original characters, The original games are much better but this game is very good but should have gone with a different title because it is too different from the original games
  50. May 19, 2013

Rented it. So lets start from there, I'm also a fan of the other 4 and this type of game.

-1 For the need to replay
    -1 For the storyline

Otherwise weapons, monsters, comboing and challenges are pretty fun.
    Music is spot on.
    Voice acting is ok, not great but not bad.
  51. May 19, 2013
    Don't feed the trolls!
    If you liked the previous DMC games, you will like this one.
    I think this is one of the best so far.
    I like this version better. It shows you what happened before he was a demon hunter.
  52. May 14, 2013
    Devil May Cry is a Reboot/ remake to bring the series up to date as such it will and does not appeal to everyone for fans of the series most do not like it because gone are the puzzles of old and endless backtracking or grinding. Replaced with a faster more action orientated story based hack and slash hybrid shooter.

The same production team who brought us Heavenly sword which was one
    of the best early ps3 releases. Ninja Theory in my opinion have done an overall great job in creating a credible new version of the game Dmc. The new combat system works well for the most part but sometimes seems to suffer a missing animation frame and response time is different than previous titles. Although you soon get used too how the new version plays.

Overall with sound trax from noisa, and Combi christ the music fits the game well and is great if youre a fan combi christ or noisa. the graphics are great and the game play switches smoothly from combat to cut scene and back again. The level design is high quality through out and you can see a lot of time has been spent on level design as now the levels are the puzzles as well. Most modern action games have a night club level in and the night club level in Dmc is about the best ive seen. since the nightclub in mass effect 3. Enemies are varied and many the boss battles are still great with all bosses having multiple health bars. there are 5 difficulties casual to very hard with more unlockable after that there are secret missions that you can use to farm gems to buy things in the main campaign too. there are online leader boards for each chapter and a bonus Bloody Palace which is hordes of enemies survive as many rounds as you can. Completion time 12 to 14hours on nephilim difficulty or above. So there is plenty of content and replayability. Over all a Great REboot and a game to try if you are new to the series or a fan of dante who likes the new style too
  53. May 5, 2013
    I liked this game, yeah. I'm a real big Devil May Cry fan. I love the mythos, the lore, the characters. etc. It was hard to play this game with everything so different. But as a Hack 'n Slash game, its really good. Other than the fanboy in me about Dante & Vergil's changes, I can't help but dislike how simple & bare-bones the combat was in the other Devil May Cry. The story also is nothing to special, just the old They Live plot in a different setting, and the characters...well, I don't like them, surprise? In general, as a Devil May Cry fan, this game does not do it for me. But, as a fan of the Hack 'N Slash genre, its pretty fun, but too simple & easy. Get it if you want. Expand
  54. May 1, 2013
    DMC5 of performance is acceptable, but as a great game sequel was terrible. great games always listen the voice of the fans, Ninja Theory never respect the fans, this is why they failed over again.
  55. Apr 21, 2013
    Ok, first off, to hell with anyone who gave this game below a five. Most of you guys wrote the review on the day of release. my thoughts? they all are a preemptive assault to try to slander what is a GREAT game. so please, you are a coherent human being, avoid the hooting dick-holes. and to said hooting dick-holes; grow up and off.

REVIEW TIME: this is an AWESOME game. over the top
    action and furious style are dealt in spades here. absolutely stunning level design and combo chaining the likes of which the DMC 3 and 4 have trouble contending. if you're a fan of the series, give it a go. the aesthetic ma be different but the game is all DMC all the time. Expand
  56. Apr 15, 2013
    I am a big fan of the devil may cry series on the PlayStation 2 and I do not care that the new Dante does not act like old Dante. Does anyone realize this is a reboot and not part of the original series! The story this time around is basically a retread of the first Devil May Cry, but instead of an island and a castle this time it is a city. The story actually makes you care about Dante and his brother Virgil, as it becomes a more of a personal tale. The gameplay might be easier, but that does not mean it is not fun. With the multiple weapons and combos there are limitless option for dealing damage to your enemies. The SSS ranking has become really easy to get, but bump the difficultly up and then try to achieve it. There are not enough boss fights in my opinion, but one stands out. I will not spoil it, but it's about half way through the game and is probably the most unique battle in the game. The graphics are not really impressive but are cool in their own right. The soundtrack is not my type of music but if your into heavy rock/metal you will enjoy it. This new Devil May Cry is just plain and simply "cool" and it makes you want to come back and chase the leader boards for a higher score. Expand
  57. Apr 9, 2013
    I didn't liked it. Not my cup of tea, not my mug of coffee, not my can of coke. And I'm aware that I'm biased, but I PAID for this, and thus I believe I have all rights to judge for what this is. A below average hack'n slash game. Why? Oh, several reasons. The writing, dumb/slow/broken (you name it) gameplay, characterization, the oh SO terrible soundtrack in this game. Seriously, can't understand how some people were praising it. Saving by a few, the music in this game pissed me off.

And I could be more specific here, however, considering how long this game has been out, and the amount of reviews naming all these same reasons in a more fluid and impersonal form, I can't help but feel redundant here. Let's just stop beating this dead horse.
    So, just take this: I paid, finished it and didn't liked it. You can all come to tell me that I being unfair, but I am not. Just take your time and read some of the genuine reviews here. Obviously, the ones that aren't rated 10/10, that is.
  58. Apr 8, 2013
    Unlike some die-hard DMC fans I couldn't care less what the main character looks like, the things that always interested me in this series is it's atmosphere and gameplay. I also can't deny loving Dante's attitude, especially in DMC 1&3.To me the series itself had always had it's own flair (even the less popular DMC2) which made me choose to buy the game time and time again.
    However DmC
    has absolutely nothing to do with Devil May Cry and it simply pains me to see such a game be considered as part of the series. I can't say that DmC is a complete fail or anything but playing it get's boring very easily, even though it's quite well-made(excluding graphics and slightly lame fighting).For me it turned out to be a waste of money
    Frankly, DmC could of even been made a masterpiece but if it does not have the atmosphere and the unique feel of Devil May Cry then why on Earth would anyone attach it to this series? The game would of probably done better on it's own with it's own audience that evidently prefers a post apocalyptic, slightly emo and punky attitude to the gothic, stylish and playfully one shown in Devil May Cry..(plus the crazy fights!!!!Oh,God I miss them...)
  59. Apr 6, 2013
    Great combat. The different weapons flow very well together and makes juggling fun. Fast paced with nice puzzles. Ive been a dmc fan from the start and this didn't disappoint. Music fits very well and the story is just amazing. My only gripe is it felt like a true prequel rather then a reboot. Either way i hope to see more.
  60. Apr 4, 2013
    I am not a fan of the franchise and, to be honest, I only played a couple of games back in the PS2 era and was immediately turned off by the difficulty level. Not that I don't appreciate a challenge, I do. But I think the DMC franchise just takes the idea of challenge a bit too seriously. Once I played the new DMC game demo I had the impression it would be a more accessible game and decided to give it try. And yes, it is. It's not an easy game (though it might be easier than previous entries), but it's definitely friendly, meaning that I had a great time with it. Beautiful graphics, cool gameplay where you can link chains and chains of combos using different weapons and moves, nice hero and story (though a bit over the top for me). It's a very good game, no question about it and I cannot point a big reason why someone would not like to play it. Expand
  61. Apr 3, 2013
    It's a great game. I've been a fan of Devil May Cry since it demo'd long ago with another Capcom game. But I feel like they lost direction after the original. Devil May Cry 2 was great to play, I like Dantes look and the art but the story was That's when I started losing interest. I still bought and played all 4 games, but didn't care for it as much as I did when playing the original. Although I like Devil May Cry, I actually thoroughly enjoy the reinvented DMC: Devil May Cry. The story is great, characters are fantastic, the acting and reactions, the gameplay, the art and feel, the amazing soundtrack fits very well in my opinion. It's annoying when fanboy/fangirls don't give this game a real chance. Stop that it's not just like the older Devil May Cry games. It's not a remake, it's a reimagining! I will admit I liked the idea when I first read about DMC. Then after awhile I was starting to worry. Thinking it might be mediocre like 2, 3 and 4. Well 3 was decent. But DMC caught my eye and I thought they did an amazing job. It's great, A new, fresh beginning and I feel it will get even better with the sequel. Expand
  62. Apr 1, 2013
    This games is so boring, the gameplay look sad, & yes is very easy game, no challenge
    just play it & see for youself. Capcom Ninja Theory just waste time & the money for the remake dmc game with new style, but the game is very bad....so sad
  63. Mar 30, 2013
    While I can't see this being a great DMC game, I can see DMC as a good slasher game. First of all, combos and fighting is very fluid. Decently complicated, but not impossible, the controls start off simple, and the levels ease you into learning new tricks and getting new weapons. As for the story, the same can't be said. If this hadn't been a DMC game, it could've been better. The story tries to fit the classic characters (Virgil, Dante, etc) in, but simply can't do to the lore that has already been presented in previous DMC games. Another thing is that some mechanics could use more work. I am not a fan of having to play through a level 5 times just so I can unlock everything. But, despite the weak story and some bad mechanics, DMC is still a solid slasher, and shouldn't be discounted just because of fan's reactions to the reboot. Expand
  64. Mar 29, 2013
    DmC Devil May Cry is a great reboot that deserves more credit. I was skeptical of Dante's new appearance while reading previews and watching gameplay, but Dante's new look has zero effect on the amazing gameplay! I still thoroughly enjoyed this game and will play through it again. The story and cinematics were fantastic and enjoyable to watch and I felt engrossed in the story and was impressed how the developers brought everything together. The combat and weapons are insanely fun and made the game one of the better Devil May Cry titles to date. I do feel the game starts to drag towards the end and the pacing is slightly off, but overall it's still plays like a DmC title should. Expand
  65. Mar 28, 2013
    Capcom done a big mistake!
    They should made DMC5 instead of this game.
    After this horrible reboot they should reboot it again or they should make Devil May Cry 5.
  66. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Some other people give this game some very under rated ratings. I give it a 10 out of 10 due to how well it explained how everything started, how Vergil and Dante began to hate each other and how all the demons came into the real world and Vergil became the leader of the Demon World. The combos are still the same and so are most of the weapons and powers. The new weapons are fantastic. Thank you for another great game. Also most people rate this game so low because of how young and different Dante is. Expand
  67. Mar 23, 2013
    Pretty game, but not at the same level of the older games of Devil May Cry and way too muchu heasy. The new Donte is nothing compared to the old dante and the story isn't that awesome, i'll give it a 6 only for the nice gameplay :S "nice" a little too much :S
  68. Mar 22, 2013
    DmC is a decent reimagining of the series. The game has a good flow to the combat, and even though its been dumbed down since previous entries, it is still the selling point of the game. Other then that the story just seems too angsty, like it's trying to seem hXc. The length is also sinfully short. Beat it in about 5 and a half hours. That amount of gameplay just isn't worth $60 any more.
  69. Mar 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are lots of people that had preconceived notions with this game before playing it, and honestly I was one of them. I was a huge fan of the Devil May Cry Universe and the fact they could reboot a franchise that was sill very relevant made me angry. First of all I am not a fan of Dante or Virgile's new look. I also think the original Dante is one of the most bad ass heroes in gaming. However after playing DMC it won me over. As much as I loved the original Devil May Cry's the one thing they failed to do was tell a coherent story. Yes, each game had a clear objective but when you look at the 4 games before this one there are tons of plot holes that were never answered. Examples? Whatever happened to Dante after DMC2? Who exactly is NERO? Is it virgules' son or there youngest brother, or Virgil reincarnated? How did Dante and Virgil hate each other and why are there demons on earth? The good thing about the reboot if you give it a chance they actually do a good job at explaining some of these things. The only real difference from the original series was that Dante and Virgil are known as Nephlim which is half angels and half demons rather then half human/half demon. Other then that the rest of the story fits well into the DMC cannon. You see why Dante and Virgil come at odds, and if you hate Dante's new look don't worry it shows you how he gets his white hair. It also shows how Virgil goes from being a computer hacking demon hunter to a raging powerful bad ass. Is the combat a little slower then the other games? Yes, but it can still be challenging at times and its still very fun if you like these types of games. So if you are an old fan of the Devil May Cry series you may try to give this game a chance it's not as bad as you think. Expand
  70. Mar 13, 2013
    Talk about breathing life into a franchise! I liked DMC! When i first heard it was a prequel/reboot(I hate prequels), I already started my disppointment, then I played the demo and was wowed. Then the game came in, and did NOY disappoint. The "emo Dante" complaints are so far off and half brained, I want to slap the nay sayers. The story was more than solid, the graphics-top notch, and the carachters interesting and engaging. The action was great, and was very fluid overall. Not quite as good as 3, but slighly better than the vastly underrated 4, DMC is a smash. 2nd best DMC overall. Expand
  71. Mar 13, 2013
    Although the fighting is way too easy compared to Devil May Cry 3 (the only other DMC I've played) I thought this game was really good.
    People are saying that the characters suck, but IMO, they're not bad. Dante's young and carefree, kind of a douche but a very lovable one whose promiscuity and occasional abrasiveness are explained by his troubled past, and his personality suits the whole
    "we don't take ourselves too seriously" feel in the two DMC games that I've played. Maybe this is just me being a stupid fangirl but I found his character to be adorable in BOTH games.
    *SPOILER ALERT* To the people saying otherwise, Dante isn't an evil because the "baby" Virgil shot wasn't exactly a baby, and teasing Mundus, the guy who literally ripped his mother's heart out in front of his eyes was just a way to save humanity.
    Kat's nice, and Vergil was great with his pimp hat and psycho take over the world god complex at the end *SAFE TO READ*

To sum it up, the graphics weren't great but weren't bad, the story and characters were fun, not too believable, but that's on purpose. The boss fights were quite disappointing but the fights are pretty fun in the difficulties you unlock. I think all the bad reviews are from people who are so in love with the old franchise, and whose hopes were so high that they can't see how good this new game is.
  72. Mar 12, 2013
    Look whatever im gonna say isnt gonna change these crazy DMC fan's mind. Like im a fan of the old and new Dante, and i actually enjoy this new take but people dont seem to have the mind to be able to move on.. Heck i can even relate myself to this NEW dante. People are so fond of this fictional character and would even blow on an ACTUAL good game like this? People are hating on this cuz its too easy to get a SSS or no lock on or something, its a freaken hack and slash game, no matter what the purpose of that genre is for you to kill a bunch of pile of Need a challenge? Play Dante must die and feel satisfied but honestly this game deserves more .....10/10 Expand
  73. Mar 10, 2013
    This game is great fun. Combat system is intuitive, and gives lots of variability with different weapons as they're unlocked. Great level design and art. The story is also good overall, and kept me playing to find out what happens next. My main complaint is that it was relatively short, but it has high replay value. I'll probably go through it a third time to find the last keys and doors that were missed the first two times. Don't understand why so many people hate this game. Expand
  74. Mar 10, 2013
    Great art and visuals and presentation.
    The story is quite intriguing, mature, gritty, dark and forms a perfect prequel for DMC3. Yeah I know it's a reboot but it just fits perfectly together.
    Profanity is there, but there are also some moments in there that made me feel angry like Dante and sad or completely ''WTF?!''-ed like Dante.
    The characters are good and there is decent to very
    good voice acting. And there IS humor. And the white wig joke was hilarious. Offending?! Seriously?! Nah...
    Soundtrack is BRUTAL and it doesn't make my ears bleed like in MGR:Revengeance, but that's just different taste in music. And I feel bad for NOISIA that the haters think that dubstep is only Skrillex.
    And you don't have the same battle song playing over again, and again, and again like in DMC3 4. Because sometimes I would stop playing, and play games with a better soundtrack DMC3 did have best ost material, but for me it was overshadowed by ''poser industrial techno metal''). Now we have Combichrist!
    Combat is fluid, smooth and has the old school DMC flare. It does lack an amount of extra moves which really is a bummer. And I didn't had any problem with DT. And there are always ways to play stylish instead of using trinity smash. Hell, DMC3 had DT Flux for Instant SSS. Vergil could be your with Royalguard. Forgotten about that huh? Combos can be linked with each other much more faster and smoother.
    Bosses are easy, but far from bad. They're actually epic!
    Difficulty could be kicked up a little bit, but you've always got SOS, DMD, HOH, HAH, Vergil's Downfall Bloody Palace for more replay value.
    The 30fps is really noticeable when you play with A/V cables on PS3, but on HDMI it's smooth like butter.
    I still think that the majority of the haters are still the ones who were extremely pissed at all those trailers. And didn't play this game with an open mind and still got their Nostalgic Goggles on while whining about everything. Saying that everyone should buy 4 HD Collection.
    DMC4 is superior in gameplay, but felt extremely rushed and was rushed. Bland anime story, hideous soundtrack( except for the song you hear during the Goddess Statue the 2nd half and Nero. I haven't touched it ever since I've got DmC. But hey...the haters got their way. This game didn't sell very well.
    However, DMC3 still reigns over DmC.
    If DmC had the lock-on for extra input commands...DmC would be on par with DMC3 for real. Maybe even beat it.
    Now waiting for the moment for my friend to give DmC back to me.
    A well deserved 9/10 Ninja Tee.
    Oh yeah, two 9/10 because my friend agrees
  75. Mar 9, 2013
    A good hack and slash game that is in my opinion, better than Dmc4. The combat and story is great, and even though Dante isn't as cool as he was before, this version of him is much more human. Although, they did antagonise old Devil May Cry fans in the beginning, which is frankly quite a bad creative decision.
  76. Mar 8, 2013
    The new Dante isn't THAT bad, the games looks, feels and sounds fantastic. The story is ok, but the game is incredibly fun. I did want to hate this too, but I loved it. One of the best games I've played in a while and highly recommended.
  77. Mar 6, 2013
    Personally, I feel like most people here are way too hurt by the new change and can't accept a new Dante who doesn't look like a silver-haired anime freak. He almost reminds me of Constantine. I'm not one to write reviews, but wow is this game fun. The story was alright, but I was hooked from beginning to end. Missions were really fun, love the ones that predominantly relied on demon pull and angel lift weapons. You're never bored, because all enemies are affected by different weapons and different methods which means you can't just press a mashup of buttons all the time.

Pros: Dig the new half angel, half demon Dante, AND sympathetic, fun, love all the weapons (although some could be put to use more) Bosses, although easy, are some of the most visually impressive and memorable I've ever faced. I'm a longtime of Combichrist so I definitely dig the soundtrack. Cons: The godforsaken camera. During combat the camera decides to flip off to the oddest angle it can find and proves annoying in the most crucial moments. Lock-on would definitely help. You get thrown in a room of like 20 demons, and it auto aims all over the place. Just lovely. Another one: Too short. Other: Because some enemies are only affected by either Angel or Demon weapons, it renders the variety of your weapons useless. If I'm facing a frosted knight, I can pretty much only use either Osiris or Aquila, which throws all the possible combos out of the window really. They could improve it by emphasizing more on tactic to kill rather than angel or demon weapons. Conclusion: Don't listen to these negative reviews. Most of them are unfair as hell and biased. I'd bet my arm half of them hasn't even attempted to get past a couple missions. I had a blast playing it, and I'm still getting a kick out it replaying it. Demons, metal, and Combichrist, what more can a girl ask for?? 9 OUT OF EFFING 10. THANK YOU NINJA THEORY FOR THE REBOOT.
  78. Mar 5, 2013
    DmC is the reboot of the Devil May Cry series by Ninja Theory. It is intended to direct a franchise in a new direction and gain a broader audience. I had no cons about the ideas behind the revitalizing of the series its mythos, but merely with the execution of the ideas.

PRESENTATION: Very Good. The artistic story telling is fantastic in the game, as well as the in game text to amplify
    some action scenes. Menu has framerate issues but well laid out and simple to see.

GRAPHICS: Good. Environment immerses the player into it and framerate is fluid to follow the action. The game overuses the orange red color palette as well as the green blue one which tends to saturate the world you are in after a couple of hours into the game.

SOUND: Very Good. The soundtrack in the game is great and it delivers the theme of the game quite nicely. The voice acting is well done too, you can tell the brothers apart when they speak but also sense their relation...Mundus also delivered an impact performance. Sound effects are also very good but at times overwhelmed by the soundtrack.

GAMEPLAY: Good. Heavily hindered by the level design, the gameplay mechanics are seamless, very well rounded and easy to implement. The amount of combos stretches as far as your imagination can, switching between Devil Angel weapons is fast and fluid and the controls are quick and responsive. The pacing of the game is questionable for an action game, specially for one with such a deep combo system. The camera is good and user controlled for the most part and even pauses enemies from attacking you if they are off screen. The Devil Trigger suspends enemies into the air this time around while you inflict damage. As usual some health regenerates and there is increased damage.

LEVEL DESIGN: Poor. This is where all the bad spots of the game came back to. The traversal through the game is mainly compromised by jumping. EVERYWHERE. It became tedious after seeing how much it consisted to go through a level, and it broke the pacing of the game considerably, since some areas there was just too much of it. Overall Limbo is designed somewhere out of the Deconstructivism movement, where things are broken parts of themselves and the pieces make up an ugly whole. The best level design for me was the Disco level, and something I'd revisit, weird boss and all. The environments turn dull towards the end, slowing the adventure down. One of the Boss fights implements the platforming quite well, and that probably was as far as it should have been taken to make up the level design.

STORY: Good. The new direction that they deviated the original storyline from was well implemented. Dante and Vergil being sons of a Demon Angel, some type of anomaly that can extinguish evil is a believable storyline to start from. The explaining of their origin was engaging as well. The middle and ends of the plotline of the game however, are not.

BEASTIARY: Very Poor. The enemies in DmC are not much for variety. Apparently anywhere you go in Limbo the demons are pretty much the same. They have different types of the same enemies, where ones are vulnerable to either Angel or Demon weapons. Overall you will face upgraded versions of the same enemies throughout the game. One in particular should have been a boss because he was really cool to face, and his upgraded versions, since the 5 a half boss fights in the 20 level game are deficient for an action game. They are mostly large, blob like figures instead of the fearsome creatures prevalent in games of this genre. They are quite the mixed bag the fights consist of yes heavy PLATFORMING.

DIFFICULTY: Easy. Accurate. I played the game on the Nephilim Hard difficulty and I barely died, ever. The game difficulty seems just about right so anyone can just pick this up and kick ass. Be aware that restarting a checkpoint counts as a death in the game what? and the autosave feature will NOT hold on to your items if you've used them and then died or restarted ).

LASTING APPEAL:

Players of the previous games will most likely not favor this game too much. The story mode may be good for one play through, but the excessive platforming may anger God of War veterans as well as the lack of boss fights. Also being a short adventure 8 hours and the lack of the Vergil DLC at launch to extend it, sadly is not enough to warrant a full retail purchase like I did I'd recommend holding off for God of War Ascension instead.

I rate it a 7.5 10.0
  79. Mar 5, 2013
    Any reasonable person with a fully functioning brain can see that this is a masterclass in how to do a reboot. The story, the characters, and most importantly, the gameplay have been revamped and updated for a more intelligent audience. I'm a big fan of the previous games especially DMC3, but this game really brings the series into the modern world, both in terms of story and in gameplay.

With just 2 trophies to go I've spent close to 50 hours on this game. Buy it.
  80. Mar 4, 2013
    I have never played other Devil May Cry games before, so I consider this a non-biased review. The combat system is deep, which is a good thing. There are countless ways to combo an enemy, and several abilities to be unlocked. The environment looks great, however the enemies seem to get a little repetitive. Boss fights are awesome, and not too tough to figure out. Many difficulty setting to keep you coming back for more. Campaign is 6-8 hours which is perfect for me. Everyone on here keeps comparing it to the "old Dante", which doesn't seem right to me. Give it a try. Expand
  81. Mar 4, 2013
    Introduction: This reboot to the Devil May Cry series has been met with unfair controversy from the fans of the past games generation. According to Metacritic, fans have been giving this game as low as 4.2 out of 10 while the average critics have rated the game 8.5/10. Since reception has been scattered, I decided this to be my first review. These reviews well be broken up into 6 different categories and averaged in the end. These Categories included: Presentation(concept), Graphics, Sound, Playability(Gameplay), Entertainment, Replay Value(Lasting Appeal).

Presentation: The game is a reboot of a very successful ps2/ps3 series with a strong fan base. In case you have never played this game, it is a hack and slash like God of War but with a heavy focus on combos. In this game, you take the role of Dante who is nephilim (have demon half angel) who has recently discovered his brother. Dante's brother Virgil shows Dante the truth of their existence and what happened to their parents. This throws the game into your ultimate goal; kill the demon god Mundus and restore order to the world. This game presents the plot and story in a very cool way. The story kept my interest and its concept was pretty cool. 9/10

Graphics: This games graphics were very good. These graphics made most of the characters look real and most of the environments were detailed very well. Although character design was very well done, the environments were bland. The environments were detailed but after the first half of the game, i decided everything started to look the same. Environments used a lot of the same color schemes (mainly Reds and darker colors). A few of the environments were unique but most seemed to look a lot the same. These bland environments made me have to focus more on the gameplay and less on the actual experience. 7/10

Sound: Voice acting was top notch. Almost every voice actor brought the character to life however conversations themselves seemed forced. With heavy language used and sexual innuendos, the conversations were not as real as i would have liked. The actors and actresses themselves however proved very in depth voice acting in casual situations but when the characters tried to be serious, they seemed to fall short. 8/10

Gameplay: I had an extremely fun time playing DmC because of the gameplay. Although with the final level or two i was ready for the game to be over, i was still having fun completing combos and killing so many demons. The various weapons available at your disposal the different kinds of demons who some weapons wouldn't work on and the unique boss battles made the gameplay top notch. The only complaint was the inability to lock onto a single enemy in a large group of enemies Besides that issue, the gameplay was fantastic. 9/10

Entertainment: The game was fun, no doubt about it. It was not the funnest game I have ever played and there were some rage moments, but the game was extremely fun. 9/10

Replay Value: This depends on the kind of person you are. The game only has 1 story and that is it. If you play the game through once, you have seen all there is to see story wise. For hardcore gamers who like challenges, besides easy medium and hard, there is also 4 other modes you unlock each time you beat the previous mode. For gamers who love challenges and play games for challenges, replay value is all of this game. For gamers like me, this game is only worth 1 playthrough ever. Although the game was fun to play, I would not want to play it a second time anytime soon. 5/10

Verdict: This game is an absolute must play for most gamers, but it is not an absolute buy for most gamers either. Total rating 7.8/10

Suggested price: Pay only $30 for this game or only rent but do not pay $60 dollars for game that isn't close to perfect.
  82. Mar 3, 2013
    If you loved the original devil may cry then you may have reservations as i did this game is slick in visuals and gameplay dante has been reborn without losing his fun side and the action is as gory and over the top as always. fun violent and at times funny hopefully to be followed with more games in the future.
  83. Mar 2, 2013
    Just a good game it can't be called Devil May Cry. Too easy, weak bosses, bad camera, bad graphics, the weapons aren't as cool as the old ones and although we can use some great combos we don't have a good variety of them and we can get a SSS rank repeating the same attack a lot of times... Thanks to destroy one of the bests franchises I've played...
  84. Feb 27, 2013
    Haters gonna hate This game is awesome!!!
  85. Feb 25, 2013
    Before i start i'd like to note that i am a huge DMC fan and have been one since it's inception in 2001.
    This game is no different! Dont listen to raging fanboys acting like children not giving this game a fair chance or review, because it's safe the say that this game is fantastic. 1. story and presentation It's the best looking, presented and grounded DMC to date. Dante feels like an
    actual person rather then a cliche anime pretty boy character. It's something as the series went on that DMC seemed to get confused and lost by. Dante this time around is a character that starts off carefree and flawed with lust but through out the game (with out spoiling) grows into the character and man he's supposed to be. Other then him Vergil is in the game and is final is a relatable character! Someone you can connect and have an emotional response to along side Dante. Kat is the new DMC girl and is not a busty girl with no character. Like Vergil she is someone you start to care for by the end of the game. With out spoiling the plot, it's definitely the most grounded DMC with the story more about character growth. My only complant about it is that it's cut short (like every game it seems now a day) and there are technical issues. Not in gameplay but some frame rate drops during cutscenes. Cutscenes which are gorgeous by the way! The mo cap that Ninja Theory is famous for is amazing! Dante feels, looks and acts like a real person with subtle to extreme animations. Any gamer that enjoys and appreciates art should pick up this game! It's hard to describe just how amazing the game looks! 2. Music and sound
    Like it or not the music is great! It fits the exact tone NT is going for. The music was composed by Noisia (electronic band) and Combichrist. (industrial band) They do a great job setting up the atmosphere and pumping you up for the battle at hand. I love the music in DMC and this one is no different! I didnt know how i felt about Noisia using dubstep but thats only a small portion of the music. They are so versatile that the music can fit into many genres (thats why i call them an electronic band not a dubstep band) from the soft strings in Kat's them, to The dubstep track for Mundas theme to the retro arcade song. Combichrist songs were used for the battle themes. I loved the metal with electronic synth which will build up as you gain your S ranking which also makes Dante faster as you yourself react faster. It's great when it's in effect and really pumps you up as your slaying demons! Other then that the sound effects are also amazing from the weapon, and creatures to the sound of limbo crushing the world. 3.Gameplay and value
    This is the area in which most fans (myself included) were scared about. in past ninja theory games, they proved that there game play had many issues and being quite shallow. However this time around with Capcoms ad thats not the case. The combat is different but similar and as smooth as ever! It's more approachable but just as hardcore as the last. I was surprised how smooth it ran on 30 fps (the pc version runs on 60 which looks fantastic) however slower then the past dmc games doesn't make the combat less or better but something fresh. The game is fun! and with many different difficulties and enemy re spawns should keep the player busy for a while. Things that caught my attention quick was the lack of lock on....it's not a major issue but when fighting multipul enemies it can get confusing. Also the game for me at least wasn't that challenging (comparing it the past dmc games) however i'm a huge dmc player and have SSS'd all the games on all difficulties and create combo videos on youtube so i do have that advantage over other players. Again it doesn't really take away from the experience but should be noted. 3. Conclusion
    This game had been getting a bad name from the online community with some people acting like children condemning what is a very fine work of art. Therefore what i ask the reader is to go into the game open minded with out judging a book by the cover. you will be surprised just how jaw dropping the game is. It's very artist, looks great, has great characters with some humor and above all else has fun silky smooth gameplay.
  86. Feb 24, 2013
    This game has a very fast pasted and challenging combat system, which awards flawless and varied combat techniques (which can be quite difficult to master, if mastering this is even possible considering there are endless opportunities). They also do well with the battle music, and open up for several ways to end a problem, making repetitive gameplays not just a bore. For new people coming into the series (counting this view) the story is quite solid, with both likeable, creative and understandable antagonists. Expand
  87. Feb 24, 2013
    DMC is a great "new start" for Devil May Cry Series!
    The story is more mature, and tell the story of Dante's Family perfectly!
    And with the contents for DLC: "Vergil's Fall" and the "Tower of Battle", the "new and old" costumes for Dante and visual of his guns and swords too, the game gain more replay factor, hours of gameplay, and make happy the guys that dont like much this "new"
    Dante, and the guys who like, too!
    The music and art of this game, is a masterpiece! Great moments in all game!
    A fantastic experience for new players, and the more traditional fans of DMC series!
    Ninja Theory, and Capcom, congratulations for this game! And continue this partnership work!
  88. Feb 22, 2013
    After all the hype of a 'revamped' Dante/story/etc ruining the franchise I was pleasantly surprised at how well the character design, worlds and storyline were designed and executed. The level design in particular is stunning in colour and content and the changing environments implemented is not a simple feat at all. However that's all the positives I can think of and there are much more negative points that overall ruin this game. Several parts of the storyline and dialogue are shocking, puerile or completely unnecessary and the game would benefit from their removal. Glitchy platforming causes death to the user at no fault of their own. Frame-rate drops at times unacceptable for a level based game on a console (open world you can sometimes forgive). Easier than all previous Devil May Cry games but this is probably an intentional based on the game designers thinking the "know better" that the creators of the previous games. The most annoying part is that pretty obvious from the opening and ending sequences that NinjaTheory pretty far up their own arses a position which is certainly unjustified from some of the amateurish content they've delivered here. A little bit of thought, maturity and humility in their decision making would have stopped a lot of the problems mentioned above. Expand
  89. Feb 21, 2013
    DMC is an insult to the legendary histroy of Devil May cry games. To add insult to injury they even poke fun at how they changed dante's hair.

This game is a joke, even on hard it is way too easy. Yea, its flashy with solid graphics but these changes pissed off one too many fans.
  90. Feb 21, 2013
    I got some mixed feelings about the reboot of DMC. For being a 7 hour long brutal DMC is a highly recommendable HacknSlash-Title. But if you're searching for a real DMC like me with the original Dante, then you're going to have some problems getting into the game. The setting is differs from the original as well as Dante himself, and somewhat it felt more like a Bayonetta than a DMC. After all I'm also a fan of the Bayonetta witch and I've been very entertained by it but it just felt like the right game in the wrong franchise. If you're just looking for some twisted action, you should definetly give DMC a chance and experience a seven Long story short: Devil May Cry is the best Bayonetta 2 that could`ve been. Expand
  91. Feb 19, 2013
    After reading so many bad reviews and comment, I decided to stand out for this game. Everyone is complaining about how bored the storylines and Dante's new look. Believe it or not, I bought this game for $60 becasue of that hot demon with a awesome hair cut that i saw in the game store trailer. Even though i didnt play the last few games......well what's the big deal having a new style in the new game? It's not like hes the king of douche. Gameplay combat its pretty cool. But the whole game will be way better if it's way longer...maybe now days games are getting shorter and shorter (AC III, Sleeping Dogs, DMC) Sometime a game have a option to troll around by yourself will seem like the game is long like GTA 4. Shooting hookers, one man army those kinda stuff. But one thing that i am not really happy is that since Dante looked pretty damn hot and Kat's apperance is just meh. And i felt kinda weird that Dante and Kat is together since the last few games there are cute girls as Dante's sidekick.....anyone felt the same way....? Expand
  92. Feb 19, 2013
    I just finished the game and i found it amazing Don't hate it because they change the character or anything else of course they will it is a reboot. The studio made a great game and they certainly don't deserve an average score of 4.1 This game at least deserves an 8.5
  93. Feb 19, 2013
    Bad game is bad. This game spits in the face of any fan of the previous games especially the 3 and 4 ones. I cannot imagine what anyone can see in this waste of time and money. The main character was replaced, the gameplay was dumbed down, the store was retconned. Had this game been released under a different name then no one would really be so mad about such a mediocre title. BUT to put the name Devil May Cry on it and then spit in the faces of those WHO WOULD pick it up BECAUSE OF THE NAME IS A INSULT. And as the new Dante would say: YOU! Expand
  94. Feb 17, 2013
    This user score actually defines the term" metabombed.'It's a joke for this game to have such a low score. Nothing about this game deserves a zero. Actually the fact that it doesn't have a lock-on feature is wildly inexcusable. As some have complained, why have two evades when you can add a lock on? Honestly, I can't truly give this game anything more than an 8 because of this horrible oversight. I'm giving it a 10, though, to meagerly help this score. I don't want to get into the thick of the game because everyone has done that already. If you liked DmC, buy this. It's great. I went back and played 1-3 to see what all these true fans are talking about. I disagree. Yeah it's not as magical as 1 or 3, and the combos are a bit too easy to chain. The angel weapon is virtually useless, and it's extremely annoying to be mandated when to use them. The demon weapon, on the other hand, is pretty great. I wish there were a few more combos that can be done with individual weapons. The story is pretty interesting. The character development is definitely interesting. I can't wait to see what Ninja Theory offers for their next installment in this series. I frankly would get this game just to get Vergil's Downfall, which looks absolutely amazing. By that, what I really mean is that Vergil as a character looks to have incredible abilities. And for those who are complaining about his hair. Don't worry, you can change it to white after you beat the game. But c'mon, guys, really? Complaining this much about hair color? I wish they kept their original version of Dante (he looked a lot darker, more sinister). Expand
  95. Feb 16, 2013
    DmC is a game that has been getting a lot of negative attention since its reveal a couple of years ago. Fans of the original games have been raging over Dante's physical appearance and how the story and aesthetics have completely changed. Now DmC is finally and its is awesome! Its a dark and more mature story this time around and Dante is not a cheesy character. Level design in the game are some of the best I've ever seen, with environments shifting around and beautiful destruction. This all comes with great graphics and an awesome blend of colors. Combat is a ton fun and its satisfying. I couldn't wait to get to the next horde of the enemies to come attack so I could beat the crap out of the them. My only gripes with the game were it was too short and getting SSS were a breeze. With all that being said, DmC is a blast. If you still haven't pick it up, I highly suggest you check it out soon. Fans of the franchise are giving this game 1's and 0's. This is insulting as I have played game that are that bad and Devil May Cry is not a 1! Do not listen to those babies. Expand
  96. Feb 16, 2013
    Some times the community is a complete This game is AWESOME and a liked it very much Only the cinematics from the game are a stand alone movie... For me just go buy it ..But if you are not sure check out some videos on YouTube :D
  97. Feb 15, 2013
    In order to fully articulate how much of a disappointment this game is, one needs to fully understand the scope of what was lost in the original series of games. ---Gameplay--- The Devil May Cry franchise was a slow but steady research and development project into the new world of a genre it created (The Stylish Action genre). DMC1: The first game, for example: Didn't allow you to change styles or firearms on the fly. It did, however, allow the player to lock on to targets, something which "DMC" is lacking. DMC2: Expanded upon the options by allowing the player to change firearms during play and capitalised upon a nuance of the older game by allowing mid air juggling.

DMC3: Expanded even further by allowing the player to change devil arms on the fly whilst also introducing styles, albeit these styles were fixed per mission. The pseudo 2 player mode in the form of doppelganger was also a nice touch.

DMC4: As it's predecessors had done, expanded further by introducing a throw mechanic in the form of Nero's devil bringer and of course brought with it something new to the table in the form on-the-fly style change mechanics.

"DMC": TOOK A HUGE STEP BACKWARDS.
    So far in some aspects that it completely missed the point of the genre it was trying to reboot.
    - No lock on, which is really handy when trying not to fall to your death or shooting the projectile firing enemies at the back.
    - Combos that can be broken by accidental input on certain enemies.
    - Combos that can be broken by a certain enemy walking in the way of an attack.
    - Limiting attacking options by rendering weapons to a 'more dangerous than unusable state'. Stylish gauge that is easy to fill. (Mash one button)
    - Enemy juggles that allow the main character to essentially fly.
    - Making monotonous tasks stylish.
    - Making once monotonous but now cleared tasks contribute to your rank in higher difficulties, gimping the difficulty in getting an overall S rank and escaping the point of the difficulties in the first place.

---PLOT---
    DMC's strong point was never really plot nuances, although it had it's good moments. It had it's shockingly bad moments though (Like a plane falling through the ceiling at the right time letting the two protagonists escape: DMC1).
    Also, the franchise was going to suffer from the superman problem: "How do we write a story that is challenging for a character who is essentially to strong for everybody to handle".
    We saw this problem essentially culminate in DMC2 and the solution was a prequel, DMC3.
    They struggled a bit with DMC4 because Dante was essentially too strong, so they had to nurf him a little in some respects and by giving us a new character who was similar but different, it allowed the player to experience mortality.

"DMC" went straight for the jugular by thinking that Dante needed roughing up and bringing down a peg or two, which literally took place in the trailers.
    The in game plot was a hash of references to the old material whilst also trying to be political, edgy and fashionable. Re: F*cking swearing Wise cracking, since when?
    Dante lives in a trailer and hates humanity? Who is he a Martin Riggs addicted to meth?
    Dante is the son of an angel and a demon? Who is he Little Nicky on crack?
    Dante passes between limbo and the real world? Who is he, a tweaking John Constantine?
    Dante has a brother who wants to rule the world and tricks him into fighting on his side? Who is he, a Junkie Solid Snake?

No he is DMC Dante, the kind of guy who asks the questions the audience is asking like: "How did my coat get on the Ferris-wheel", we all know how Dante, lazy shoehorned writing.

When all is said and done, it has brought us one undeniable fact, don't crap on your fan base.
  98. Feb 15, 2013
    This is a bad game. When I first started it up the intro had me expecting a great experience. The games darker and stylish edge looked intriguing, and I was ready for the game to suck me in. But the moment I assumed control of Dante and battled my first enemy all optimism was sucked out of me. The combat just feels so lifeless and hollow, which is sad because it had the potential to be a thrilling experience because you have access to all your weapons at once and can switch between them at any time during combat which can lead to some pretty insane combos. But the combat just isn't fun and ruined the entire experience for me. On the plus side the game looks and sounds great, and the story is backed by fantastic voice acting. The story is interesting but ends on a dull note, and as for the new interpretation of Dante (oh, in case you didn't know, this is a reboot) I personally enjoyed his new style and personality. I really wanted to like this game, and honestly I was expecting to, but the boring combat brings down the whole experience. I liked the story, style, and the new Dante, they all just deserve a better game. Expand
  99. Feb 15, 2013
    I'm currently just past half-way [chapter 11 of 18] through my first playthrough of the game, which I started on Nephilim, as someone familiar with Melee Combat/Hack-n-Slash games like Bayonetta and DMC4. I was hungry for a good hack-n-slash melee combat game after struggling to enjoy Darksiders [meh!] a third time after 2 game breaking glitches! [superMEH!]. give me a break! It was a relief to find a game with deep, fluid combat. While not quite reaching Bayonetta levels of combat, it does a fairly good job of reaching the height of DMC 4 (only DMC I played, which I totally enjoyed) in terms of combat. Gameplay advances like the ability to control the camera make for a much improved experience. Control scheme is a little convoluted, but you eventually get used to switching between angel, devil and regular modes. It's does seem tough to work in combat variety [style points!] for specific angel or devil enemies.. tho i suppose switching weapons helps a bit there. the graphics are pretty fantastic, and the environments are very cool.. much better than previous generations of this franchise. I was honestly dying for a game with fluid, engaging melee combat, and this game has it in spades. Using Angel Demon pulls to zip around the environments and slay baddies stylishly feels very cool. I find myself wanting to go back into the game when I'm at work, and I surprisingly put in over 10 hours in my first two days.. which is more than I'd usually commit. I'm excited to unlock everything and then start the harder, remixed unlocked modes.. so that should give you an idea of how i'm feeling about the game overall. There's been alot of hate for this game. I guess people just want the same game over and over. shame that, I think Ninja Theory has done a very respectable job of modernizing and 'rebooting' the DMC series. I'll weigh in again once i've completed the full game at least once, but so far, it's scratching the itch I had for good, deep melee combat. Definitely worth a try, regardless of the haters, if you like that sort of thing. Expand
  100. Feb 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. lol writing this as i'm listening to Combichrist xD Great music.

Okay, so i hear alot of hate about this game, why? DmC is a great game, and if you ask me, better than the previous ones. You see, this game focuses alot on more hack and slash than constant puzzles which in my opinion slowed down gameplay. Levels are also more linear so you don't have to worry about getting lost. Now Dante has changed alot, and he is in my opinion, pretty badass. Yes he swears, but this game also takes place in a more modern time, so deal with it. His hair is rather boring, but after i completed it once, i replayed it on Son of Sparda (which is a kick-ass mode btw) with the white hair (that is slightly longer than the black hair). Many fans claim this game is easy, well then play Son of Sparda you idiots. Level design is amazing, better than anything i have seen before. "HURR 30 FPS" Shut the hell up, it doesn't have any effect on the game itself. Fighting is faster than ever, and with unique and epic enemies that require different strategies, this makes combat awesome. Speaking of strategies, Dante now has an angel and demon mode (blue and red). Angel weapons are faster, demon weapons are stronger (Dante can hold up to 8 weapons). And now it's time for the devil trigger. Honestly it's not a big deal, i like it.

That was basic gameplay, the story is kind of strong i guess? I never care about stories in games, but i could feel it in this one. Voice acting is also okay, well maybe not Dante, he sounds way too hollow. (SPOILER AHEAD) But characters themselves seem very weak, unlike Dante, where you will get info about him the whole game. But Kat and Vergil? NOTHING. First of all there's not a clear back story of Kat, and I never found out why Vergil hates humans so much. Like why the should I fight Vergil at the end? "HUMANS ARE OUR SLAVES, NOW THE BOSS FIGHT BEGINS" c'mon that's just stupid.
    (SPOILER END)

Speaking of bosses *sigh* bosses are easy as Dear Ninja Theory, if the normal enemies are more difficult to kill than the bosses, there's a slight problem. ^^

So generally speaking: Great game, great combat, great atmosphere, great level design, good story, allthough weak characters and easy bosses. "DmC Devil may Cry" gets my solid 8 out of 10
  101. Jan 15, 2013
    Old Dante was campy. New Dante is crass. Dumbed down combat. Over abundant platforming. Sub 30 frames per second. It's all the stuff you keep hearing, and it's all true. On the pass or fail scale, this game gets a 0. Fail.

1. Jul 30, 2013
    If nothing else, DmC is sure to entertain with many hours of button hammering, fizzing combat. However, the experience as whole has hugely benefitted from a reboot and those who are familiar with the series will appreciate the new features and relish the opportunity relive Dante’s origin story. DmC, as a combat driven action title has held together the soul of the franchise, while enhancing all in-game features to create a unique experience for everyone.
  2. Ninja Theory deserves credit for not only delivering smooth combat and telling an entertaining story, but also for crafting detailed character models without lip-synch errors, who show real emotion and wear clothing that moves along with them. This is what a 2013-game should look like. [February 2013, p.72]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Ninja Theory are calling the DMC shots now and they're doing it well. The fighting mechanics are a little bit easier to master and perhaps not as deep as before, but on the other hand the storytelling is improved with skillfully crafted cutscenes. Put up with a rather dull introduction and you're in for a great game.