4.3

1. Mar 9, 2011
    The game on the whole is not BAD. It's just amazingly sub par. The dialogue and voice acting are ok, but characters really don't have anything important to say. The combat is fine, but there's not much variation in movesets, so after awhile it feels like a chore. The art style is nice, but at least half of the textures are REALLY low-res. The main plot points aren't established wellThe game on the whole is not BAD. It's just amazingly sub par. The dialogue and voice acting are ok, but characters really don't have anything important to say. The combat is fine, but there's not much variation in movesets, so after awhile it feels like a chore. The art style is nice, but at least half of the textures are REALLY low-res. The main plot points aren't established well enough. Conflicts come and go at the drop of a hat, which made me feel generally uncaring as to the outcome. There's not enough substance, and the framed narrative aspect feels like a gimmick.

There was a lot of reusing of dungeon models, too. Which made the entire game feel half-assed. Almost like Bioware got lazy and stopped caring if the game felt repetitive or not.

The ending was the biggest kick to the face of them all, though.

I really can't see myself buying any downloadable content for this game. I don't hate it... but it's certainly not Dragon Age: Origins in terms of quality and enjoyability.
  2. Mar 8, 2011
    What sucks is all the hype around this for a lackluster game. "Oh DA2 is da best game ever!" Then once you play it, you trade it in and say "I can't believe I gave into hype." I can't believe the words "hype", "improvement", and better yet, "critics." Improvment. What? I thought this was the first game. Hype. Yeah, hype over nothing. Critics. They're just jumping on the "big name"What sucks is all the hype around this for a lackluster game. "Oh DA2 is da best game ever!" Then once you play it, you trade it in and say "I can't believe I gave into hype." I can't believe the words "hype", "improvement", and better yet, "critics." Improvment. What? I thought this was the first game. Hype. Yeah, hype over nothing. Critics. They're just jumping on the "big name" bandwagon that critics jump in. They give alot of positive reviews to crappy games. Just because it's a big name. Do yourself a favor, and avoid. Rental at best.â Expand
  3. Mar 8, 2011
    Designed by focus group. By trying to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, Bioware has created game that never really develops it's own personality. Utterly forgettable, DA2 tries in vain to be darker, edgier and sexier, but only succeeds in trying too hard. The violence is bloody, the "sexiness" is a bit blatant and ham-handed, all the while giving the impression that behind theDesigned by focus group. By trying to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, Bioware has created game that never really develops it's own personality. Utterly forgettable, DA2 tries in vain to be darker, edgier and sexier, but only succeeds in trying too hard. The violence is bloody, the "sexiness" is a bit blatant and ham-handed, all the while giving the impression that behind the scenes is a 40-something game director saying "this is what the kids want, right?" Rather than focus on making a solid, entertaining game, Bioware tried to include all things for all gamers. They have created a game with something for everyone, but not enough for any one group to enjoy the experience. Expand
  4. Mar 8, 2011
    What a slap in the face to everyone who played and loved the first one...dumbed down combat, ugly graphics...does Bioware care anymore or are they just trying to reach a crowd so stupid it'll buy anything as long as its marketed en masse? Expect to have to pay many DLC just to finish the game, the cliffhanger ending and poorly crafted story seems to point to a number of additional episodesWhat a slap in the face to everyone who played and loved the first one...dumbed down combat, ugly graphics...does Bioware care anymore or are they just trying to reach a crowd so stupid it'll buy anything as long as its marketed en masse? Expect to have to pay many DLC just to finish the game, the cliffhanger ending and poorly crafted story seems to point to a number of additional episodes to explain backstories or events.

You should be ashamed Bioware, how low you've dropped.
  5. Mar 8, 2011
    Terrible.
    To sum it up, every single mechanic has been dumbed down, Dialogue has become of the wheel type, and you can't put much thought into your choices.
    The story is cliche and it doesn't even feel like they are trying. The game play is simplified, it's easier, and even at the highest difficulty, not much thought has to be put into it. The graphics are absolutely terrible, compared
    Terrible.

The story is cliche and it doesn't even feel like they are trying.

The game play is simplified, it's easier, and even at the highest difficulty, not much thought has to be put into it. The graphics are absolutely terrible, compared to the old prequel, it's hard to believe how bad the graphics are, and they even advertise themselves on it.

do not buy it, if you must, you could sate your curiosity by borrowing it or something.
  6. Mar 8, 2011
    I'm a big fan of the original DA and really got into the lore. Unfortunately that dosen't help me trying to like this sorry mess for sequel. The combat is extremely simplified (and meaningless), the story is told in a most unexciting way and the game just feel like a downgrade compared to the predecessor.

Usually i belive "less is more", but not to the point when its so simplified it

Usually i belive "less is more", but not to the point when its so simplified it becomes braindead.
  7. Mar 9, 2011
    I'll preface this mini-review with: I actually like the game.

I do, it's mindless. After working long days and my terrible menial job that saps my mental capacities; it's nice to sit down with a mindless game that takes absolutely no thought what-so-ever to get through. But that's a problem. This is a Bioware game. It's set to a higher standard than other games, it's supposed to draw you
    I'll preface this mini-review with: I actually like the game.

But that's a problem. This is a Bioware game. It's set to a higher standard than other games, it's supposed to draw you in with it's story and setting; the characters are supposed to be memorable, witty, devious, intelligent.

But none of that really applies here. What we got was a game so vapid, so unintelligent, so... test grouped, that it's now not much more than a mindless Facebook game.

Re-used maps everywhere. Lack of personality in it's setting and characters. Plenty of loot, but only one character to equip it on. (Oh that's nice, a 'mage only' item that has stats that my rogue will never be able to equip. Maybe I'll equip it on to one of my mages on my team, oh wait..) Poorly written characters that are voice acted quite well.

And what happened to the Qunari? I mean, what? I honestly thought they were Darkspawn. Who even thought that was a good idea?

I'm starting to go off the rails, the game itself is not worthy of calling itself a sequel. The people who spent the passed year or two working on this game should not be proud of their work. They were forced to make a game that they I'm sure knew would be a big disappointment for the people who actually enjoyed the first game.

Sorry fellas, people aren't trolling, they're genuinely disappointed that you (Bioware) made a subpar game.

Borrow this from your friends if you really really want to play it, please do not spend your (or your parents') hard earned money on this.
  8. Mar 9, 2011
    At the time of writing this, the user score (based on 143 ratings) is *3.6*; the critic score (based on 12 ratings (11 "positive")) is 8.4. You could not have a more embarrassingly obvious exposition of the vapid, dead vacuum-of-integrity that is games journalism. Really, it should be obvious to everyone now that the people who wrote these reviews don't have a single atom of sincerity orAt the time of writing this, the user score (based on 143 ratings) is *3.6*; the critic score (based on 12 ratings (11 "positive")) is 8.4. You could not have a more embarrassingly obvious exposition of the vapid, dead vacuum-of-integrity that is games journalism. Really, it should be obvious to everyone now that the people who wrote these reviews don't have a single atom of sincerity or regard for truth. As far as the game itself is concerned, it's a lobotomized, bordering on the retarded, dumb-down of a game which was itself a lobotomized rehash (of the Baldur's Gate series). You really could not remove more depth from this if you were desperate to. We're at rock-bottom here, and hopefully that means the only way is up. Generic, unremarkable, uninspired, utterly forgettable fast-food for the masses. Nobody who worked on this should be proud. Expand
  9. Mar 9, 2011
    What a POS. Repeated environments, insipid dialogue banter between party members, empty dungeons with practically NO detail and get this: you cannot swap out gear for your party! that's right, u CAN trade jewelry and such, BUT you cannot "tailor" your party at all. extremely short, with little to NO exploration, overall trash story with pandering cutscenes, recycled locations,What a POS. Repeated environments, insipid dialogue banter between party members, empty dungeons with practically NO detail and get this: you cannot swap out gear for your party! that's right, u CAN trade jewelry and such, BUT you cannot "tailor" your party at all. extremely short, with little to NO exploration, overall trash story with pandering cutscenes, recycled locations, insta-spawning enemy rogues that can teleport across the little maps and on and on--

this drek makes FFXIII "look" like the greatest game ever made- It's readily apparent that EA have finally converted BIOWARE to their way of creating games.
    -lackluster money-grab with no conscience and no-soul gameplay, DA2 panders to the ADD crowd with spamming, action-adventure combat, minimal RPG elements, and in-short: welcome to the suck!
  10. Mar 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dragon Age II was terrible, I'm uninstalling it as I write this review.

Please avoid this "game" if you want to keep yourself from spending hours fighting off boredem and being generally in a poor mood. This game is bad, the entertainment value cannot even be replenished some by laughing at the poorly crafted models and effect, the slap-in-the face linearity that one would expect wouldn't be there if your in-game decisions actually had any effect of the overall outcome of the game or minor scenarios. Not being able to change the equipment to be worn by your party is a minor but needed feature of a title such as this. I can't believe I wasted my money on this.

If of course time equals money, I spend 2 hours downloading this game and that's 2 hours wasted, not to mention the bandwidth! I have a monthly cap, too.

Spoilers: This game blows and Stens' race is changed for the worse.
  11. Mar 8, 2011
    Combat system is riddled with bugs which really show on nightmare difficulty like your commands reset multiple times during and before battle (seems to only trouble ranged characters) and you cant target aoe spells in tight spaces accurately due to lock in target. Crafting system is over simplified, can't set gear on followers, small amount of total followers fixed by premade dlc, hdCombat system is riddled with bugs which really show on nightmare difficulty like your commands reset multiple times during and before battle (seems to only trouble ranged characters) and you cant target aoe spells in tight spaces accurately due to lock in target. Crafting system is over simplified, can't set gear on followers, small amount of total followers fixed by premade dlc, hd textures are what they are, extremely idiotic sounding conversations if you pick multiple different conversation choices, other weird audio breaks when transitioning to next cutscene, still bioware quality character run animations (hopefully fixable by capable modder) and so much more. Expand
  12. Mar 8, 2011
    Horrible rehash,
    Honestly it plays like a standalone mod, Nothing but disappointment, it's even prompted me to sign up to meteoritic to voice my opinion because it's that much of a flop compared to the first DA
  13. Mar 9, 2011
    Ive never reviewed a game on here before, but after about 10-15 hours into this, i just could not do it anymore. i needed to tell people not to buy this game. you might argue that that game has good RP systems, or whatever, and it dosent deserve a flat out 0, mabye a 3 or 4, but a game that when i play it, all i want to do is **** STOP playing it, deserves a 0 in my eyes. god i hope i canIve never reviewed a game on here before, but after about 10-15 hours into this, i just could not do it anymore. i needed to tell people not to buy this game. you might argue that that game has good RP systems, or whatever, and it dosent deserve a flat out 0, mabye a 3 or 4, but a game that when i play it, all i want to do is **** STOP playing it, deserves a 0 in my eyes. god i hope i can get my money back on this junk. it is a total insult to all DA:O fans, and PC gamers in general. terrible console port, from a company that once made such great games. Bioware, if you are reading this, do NOT let your DA team ANYWHERE near Mass Effect 3. Expand
  14. Mar 9, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 is an abomination. The gameplay is boring and primitive, the story is linear and cliched, the writing is godawful fanfiction.net Naruto fanfics-level crap and the characters are ranging from mediocre to awful (especially Merrill, who is a disgusting moeblob without any personality). Oh, and it's ugly, and i'm not only talking about graphics - the artstyle is... bad. Very, veryDragon Age 2 is an abomination. The gameplay is boring and primitive, the story is linear and cliched, the writing is godawful fanfiction.net Naruto fanfics-level crap and the characters are ranging from mediocre to awful (especially Merrill, who is a disgusting moeblob without any personality). Oh, and it's ugly, and i'm not only talking about graphics - the artstyle is... bad. Very, very bad. DA2 looks like something that a 12 year old with ADHD could make.

Oh, and the Nightmare difficulty that was hyped as being super great stuff for truly hardcore gamers? It's crap too. Instead of giving new abilities to the opponents and making them smarter Bioware just gave them really high stats and called it a day.
  15. Mar 9, 2011
    From a company that made fun of FF13 about it being an rpg, they sure seemed intent on one upping Square in making one of the most horrid 'rpgs' of all time.

From the dumbing down of even the most simple features to some of the worst voice acting I've ever had to put up with and the difficulty that would even make a halo or cod player think it's just a tad too easy, it really made me sympathise with the former lead developer that left Bioware because of the direction they took with this game. While the game had nothing but disappointment and failures to pick from, it was actually hard to choose which one I should start off with. Departing from the loveable old system of being able to choose what your character was going to say which really helped to define your Warden and the ability to immerse yourself with the character, Bioware decided it was a great idea to adopt the dialogue wheel from Mass Effect which has proven to be quite bad in this situation. I especially like it when my character would all of a sudden go on a random hate speech when all I wanted was for him to say yes.

The amount of day 1 dlc has always been a hot topic when it comes to games, especially with Rockstars LA Noire recently showing that it has actual gameplay content up as pre-order incentives from different retailers. Bioware has decided to hop on to this gravy train and insists on showing nothing but utter contempt to fans by using the stick and carrot method of throwing day 1 dlc at fans to help advertise this 'game'. Apparently learning nothing from DAO, pretty much every piece of dlc breaks the game and makes it crazy easy, even at 'nightmare' mode. I'd place the games difficulty on par with the opening few hours of FF13 where you basically just pressed x to win.

At this point of where I am up to in the game, I'm actually thankful that I hadn't bothered to register any of the dlc coupons that came with my signature edition yet. I've already put it up on ebay and it's going for $90, $50 more than I paid for the thing. I don't know if I should be happy or not that there's still people crazy enough to buy such garbage but hey, we live in a world where COD sells 7 million in 1 day.
  16. Mar 9, 2011
    What can i say? This game fails on every aspect you can imagine. From promised DX11 graphics we went to watered down character models and a bland city which is the main course of the game. This game suffers from acute and extreme consolitis. Bad graphics, way to simple gameplay (whack a mole) and the interface is completely tailored for consoles! Do NOT believe any "official" reviewWhat can i say? This game fails on every aspect you can imagine. From promised DX11 graphics we went to watered down character models and a bland city which is the main course of the game. This game suffers from acute and extreme consolitis. Bad graphics, way to simple gameplay (whack a mole) and the interface is completely tailored for consoles! Do NOT believe any "official" review sources, they get paid big money by EA to give it a 8 or 9!

Steer clear of this product and vote with your wallet!
  17. Mar 9, 2011
    DA2 simply, is NOT an RPG! It 's an "Hack & Slash Action RPG" with a grotesque amount of blood, a very poor system of attack, a ridiculous (console oriented) interface, a limited scenario, bad dialogues, an horrible rule-set ... Add to this that is technically worse than DAO and we have the biggest FAIL of this year!
  18. Mar 8, 2011
    oops forgot to put my score
    oops forgot to put my score
    really dont like what bioware and EA have done to this game i really liked the first game but this one doesnt fill like an RPG to me it feels more like a action game.I got very bored very quickly of the combat in DA2 i dont like the dialogue wheel it is fine in a game like Mass Effect but not in a RPG its just stupid.Also why cant you change your teams armour all rpg in know have that option sorry but this game is poor.
  19. Mar 9, 2011
    Dragon Age II will be recorded as one of the worst blunders in video game history. Bioware somehow managed to take a promising series, and do a Tomb Raider with it. The game visually looks like a mod for Knights of the Old Republic, if that mod were to lower all the games textures and was inspired by minecraft. The writing in this game is exactly what you'd expect an autistic 12 year oldDragon Age II will be recorded as one of the worst blunders in video game history. Bioware somehow managed to take a promising series, and do a Tomb Raider with it. The game visually looks like a mod for Knights of the Old Republic, if that mod were to lower all the games textures and was inspired by minecraft. The writing in this game is exactly what you'd expect an autistic 12 year old farm hand. Gone are the "grey" moral areas, and choices that affect the story. Instead, a dialogue wheel now lets you choose between 3 options, Sissy school girl, comedic relief in b-movie, and complete jerkwad. With such rivieting dialogue options as "Hey, I wunna be a dragon too!" and "Boy, I'm hungry", it's hard not to believe that Bioware is doing a psychological experiment to see how much punishment masochistic fans will put up with. Most of the game takes place in the confines of a single "city". I say "city" loosely, because it is actually nothing more than a collection of buildings, devoid of life. All areas outside of the city and bland and repetitive. Let me be clear on this: EVERY SINGLE OUTDOOR AREA outside of the city consists of a rock wall on one side of the map, and a large, lifeless, poorly textured vista on the other. I've seen 2 year olds that can color better than the job Bioware did with this vista. Dungeons are frequently repeated. Yes, you heard that right, the exact same cave is used over and over and over again. You can no longer equip armor to companions, and the new companions are dull and lifeless. Every voice actor in the game sounds the exact same, and they all sound utterly bored with their jobs. Of course, I needed even comment on the combat to anyone who has played the demo. Bioware decided to strip out all tactical and RPG elements, and instead turn the game into a poor man's Dynasty warriors, complete with waves of spawning powder rangers running at you, while you perform the same over the top animations over and over carrying massive JRPG styled swords. I award this game no points, and may God have mercy on it's soul.â Expand
  20. Mar 8, 2011
    Never good when you make a game worse than it's prequel. So many problems with the game. So much hype over it by DA fans. The "professional" reviewers are giving it a high score for some reason I do not know.
  21. Mar 9, 2011
    I'm giving this game a 1 because coming from Bioware this is just insultingly bad. Horrible. DA2 has to be the saddest excuse for either an action game or a roleplaying game, or a combination of the two. The glitches that result from trying to import the save file from Origins alone make it clear that Bioware wasn't even trying with this one. Just rush out a sequel as quickly asI'm giving this game a 1 because coming from Bioware this is just insultingly bad. Horrible. DA2 has to be the saddest excuse for either an action game or a roleplaying game, or a combination of the two. The glitches that result from trying to import the save file from Origins alone make it clear that Bioware wasn't even trying with this one. Just rush out a sequel as quickly as possible to milk your fans for all they're worth. Really pathetic. The gameplay is horrible, the graphics are from 2 generations ago at best, and the story is completely forgettable garbage. They even had the gall to end on a cliffhanger!!!! Probably just to sell more DLC that will hopefully end the story properly. Disgusting, Bioware. You've lost a customer. Expand
  22. Mar 9, 2011
    I tried to like DA2, but I cant. This console centric garbage isnt worth the effort. Yes it looks better, the combat is smoother, and im sure the story is good (Bioware always excels here), but come on removed customisation, NPC interactions, put big bloody flag on the next objective, quests are almost all self fulfilling. Its like an RPG made for 6 year olds. Bioware peaked with 2 epicI tried to like DA2, but I cant. This console centric garbage isnt worth the effort. Yes it looks better, the combat is smoother, and im sure the story is good (Bioware always excels here), but come on removed customisation, NPC interactions, put big bloody flag on the next objective, quests are almost all self fulfilling. Its like an RPG made for 6 year olds. Bioware peaked with 2 epic games. Baldurs Gate II, and KoTOR. Both epic, complex and requiring intellect to play. DA2 breadcrumbs the entire game... garbage, utter garbage.

After ME2 I thought Bioware would have learned, but it seems the EA dragon has once again put down the "APPEAL TO THE MASSES!!!!" mantra and ensured that a rich, deep and complex title wont get made by any dev under its umbrella of mediocrity.

I'm sure there will be cries of "PC Elitist" or some such, but when the muelling mob is appeased by sunstandard and lesser entries from a previously high sepc developer its really hard not feel better than them.

Just another example of the big publishers slowly eroding away the quality to lower the barriers so Joe Casual wont get lost.

Well Bioware I WAS a loyal fan. BG 1 and 2 + exp. KoTOR, NWN, DA:O, ME1, and even Jade Empire were epic and enjoyable RPGs worthy of praise and what your reputation was built on. ME2 while an epic tale was the first obvious step down the path to Casual land. Strip out RPG mechanics, focus on twitch/non RPG gameplay and profit.

I hope EA rides Bioware into the ground, as I have lost all respect for the company.
  23. Mar 9, 2011
    Sadly DA2 is no roleplay Game in my Opinion anymore. The only thing this game has is fighting (with much blood and exploding hordes of enemies - like the Marketing said.. for every button something flashy happens) also there are no Skills anymore, beside the fighting skills... The other thing is the story presentation, which Bioware still is good at.
    But things like the restricted
    But things like the restricted inventory and kodex entries (50% percent of the things you find are nondescript junk?? really?), the MMO Interface.. this all makes it to an Action Adventure at best. As a roleplay game it sadly fails in nearly every way :(
  24. Mar 9, 2011
    This game is a disgrace, bioware spent a couple of months and churned out another copy of DA1 but worse.
    Also the day 1 DLC is just ridiculous and if you defend it you should be ashamed as you are helping the download of games.
    Bioware needs to learn to put some effort in their games and not just release broken, buggy games and hope they sell because of their blind hard-core fanboys.
  25. Mar 9, 2011
    Terrible graphics, terrible dialogue, forgettable music, bland characters, linear gameworld, uninteresting locations, terrible button-mashing gameplay. Overall: A very very bad game that you should avoid
  26. Mar 8, 2011
    I'm not sure where to even start. How about the demo? The demo that barely loaded, the frame-rate was so bad (this on a 3.2GHz, i5, GTX 460 SE, 8gb desktop) it was unplayble. My brother, telling me that he liked DA:O enough to play... half... got me to delete the demo and reinstall. This time it worked, this time I played it to the end, and this time I wanted to stab my eyes with dullI'm not sure where to even start. How about the demo? The demo that barely loaded, the frame-rate was so bad (this on a 3.2GHz, i5, GTX 460 SE, 8gb desktop) it was unplayble. My brother, telling me that he liked DA:O enough to play... half... got me to delete the demo and reinstall. This time it worked, this time I played it to the end, and this time I wanted to stab my eyes with dull spoons.

Gameplay: Mindless drivel
    Graphics: My eyes bled dry
    Sound: I don't remember hearing anything over the waterfall of blood pouring from where my eyes had been due to looking at this heap of trash that looks worse than games made in 2002
  27. Mar 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What is this? I loved your games over years Bioware! Even Mass Effect 2, but this is horrible.
    Dynasty Warriors with more talking? no thx alot. No npc reaction for stealing, fighting, etc.?
    Level Recycling incl. NPC (thx for the big **** BW!) on mass in this small world?
  28. Mar 9, 2011
    Not worthy of the time to even type this! But I am told by Metacritic that I have to have at least 150 characters so here you go: Not worthy of the time to type this!
  29. Mar 9, 2011
    One of the most overrated games ever, second to Treyarch's works. You say graphics are good? In my opinion old Dungeon Siege looks better and juicier. Game looks like poor MMORPG. Dialogues are flat, boring, predictable, and trying so hard to be epic, that are actually parody of RPG genre. The whole history of hero's family is like "The Bold and the Beautiful" or "Dallas" with dragons. TheOne of the most overrated games ever, second to Treyarch's works. You say graphics are good? In my opinion old Dungeon Siege looks better and juicier. Game looks like poor MMORPG. Dialogues are flat, boring, predictable, and trying so hard to be epic, that are actually parody of RPG genre. The whole history of hero's family is like "The Bold and the Beautiful" or "Dallas" with dragons. The most funny thing is the masturbation mode for 12 y.o.: dragon-sized boobs everywhere. Hell yeah, I just drowned in epicness, singing the song of the old days. What is good? I really don't know, maybe music here and there? This game is not BAD, it deserves more than 2.9 (user score at the time I'm writing) - I'd say it's something between 5 and 6 (7 if you really love dragons). It still offers adventure and ugly creatures to kill and for sure it's better than Arcania.. But in order to balance these crazy optimistic rates I give it 1. Because I have enough of this stupid trend, that if BioWare did this, or Bethesda did this, or some part of the title says "Call of Duty", than we give 8 or 9 at the very beginning and then we play the game. No, folks, all the glitters is not gold! And Dragon Age 2 don't deserve to be called VERY good game (8/10), fantastic game (9/10) or masterpiece (10/10). This game has nothing more to offer, than dozens of similar RPG games. My score is my protest against such practice mentioned above. (Sorry for bad spelling). Expand
  30. Dec 25, 2011
    Within 20 minutes of starting up this game i was greeted with "one year later" this is not the last time i see this, and that one skipped year could have been more entertaining then this whole game combined. But we are not so fortunate. In fact you don`t really make a character at all, you have to play as a slightly modified pre made character, and for a series that became famous becauseWithin 20 minutes of starting up this game i was greeted with "one year later" this is not the last time i see this, and that one skipped year could have been more entertaining then this whole game combined. But we are not so fortunate. In fact you don`t really make a character at all, you have to play as a slightly modified pre made character, and for a series that became famous because of the ability to create YOUR character, Your way this is sad. and to add insult to injury you have almost the exact same selection then origins, same hair style (a few new ones that are awful), same tattoos, no other races though. The first third of this game is one long boring fetch quest after another, no story at all really, you need to get 50 gold coins, if you do all these pointless side quests you will spend 20 hours doing nothing. The characters you meet make no real sense, and seem to be disagreeable simply to seem deep, disapproving of any random choice that should have no down side, take on a quest and half your party hates you, usually the warriors. the developers tried to make the game "fresh" and succeeded in destroying any continuity that this game had to the series. Killed that guy? hes back! saved her? She's dead. and some races now have horns for some reason that is never explained. On top of this you spend the entire time in a city, and all backdrops areas and quest locations are reused to the point that it becomes disgusting. The combat is almost improved, faster but more boring, you will be hitting one button a billion times an hour simply because most other attacks are completely useless and may result in a game over screen. If they wanted an action rpg then they should have added a dodge button and a block, and gave it a different name. Also in many ways dragon age origins looked a lot better, the slums in this game have clean streets, and the character models look sad when trying to express emotion. And everyone has chubby faces.... This game is an insult to gamers, gaming and rpg's, and its clear that most reviews are payed, this game is awful. i want nothing more then to give this game a 0, it deserves less, much less. Expand
  31. Jun 1, 2011
    I'm 34 years old and have been gaming since the original Nintendo came out. I absolutely loved Dragon Age: Origins. This game is an abomination. Could the developers have been MORE lazy? It seems all of their efforts were focused on the graphics and combat with VERY little attention paid to content. I could go on and on about how bad this game is. Literally the only redeeming quality areI'm 34 years old and have been gaming since the original Nintendo came out. I absolutely loved Dragon Age: Origins. This game is an abomination. Could the developers have been MORE lazy? It seems all of their efforts were focused on the graphics and combat with VERY little attention paid to content. I could go on and on about how bad this game is. Literally the only redeeming quality are improved graphics. Just about every other aspect of the game trails Origins by a mile. Pretty sad. Expand
  32. Dec 12, 2011
    This game is just shocking. I played through it once when it came out and I was so angry by the way the game was and the ending in particular that I put the game aside and never touched it again. I recently decided to give it another shot but I find myself remembering exactly why I got so angry at it in the first place. The battle system had the potential to be great but it just feltThis game is just shocking. I played through it once when it came out and I was so angry by the way the game was and the ending in particular that I put the game aside and never touched it again. I recently decided to give it another shot but I find myself remembering exactly why I got so angry at it in the first place. The battle system had the potential to be great but it just felt choppy/buggy and way to easy. My biggest gripe though out of everything was lack of companion interaction (specially on the romance end). I loved DA:O as I got so invested into my characters and the relationships/friendships they formed. In DA2 I felt no love or care towards any of my companions, even Anders who I loved in DA : Awakening (who might I add had the worst personality transplant in game history). The ending though is the biggest WTF slap in the face ever. I remember sitting watching the event that had just taken place and I was dumbstruck (for lack of better word to explain it). The game just feels disjointed with the same boring backdrop, lack of story and dialouge to be honest it almost felt like it wasn't even part of the same series. I try to forget DA 2 exists, I just hope in the future EA/Bioware take heed of our complaints on this game and go back to what made Dragon Age great. Why fix something thats not broken? Expand
  33. Mar 14, 2012
    I loved Dragon Age but I do not recognize the game anymore. What is this? Its a disgrace. I want to meet Morrigan again, I want to feel something. This is crap. Btw, I managed to play 10 minutes before i had to turn it off. Who the fsck was the project manager of this game? The person should never ever work with games again . ever. and ever. yeah. its not a very serious soundingI loved Dragon Age but I do not recognize the game anymore. What is this? Its a disgrace. I want to meet Morrigan again, I want to feel something. This is crap. Btw, I managed to play 10 minutes before i had to turn it off. Who the fsck was the project manager of this game? The person should never ever work with games again . ever. and ever. yeah. its not a very serious sounding review. But im just too disappointed to be rational at this point Expand
  34. Apr 12, 2011
    The crticial reception of Dragon Age II is one of the most glaring examples of just how terrified the enthusiast video game press is afraid of upsetting publishers. They wouldn't dare tell you at what point this is a focus-driven rushed-to-market insult to video game consumers everywhere. I never played the original Dragon Age so I'm not an irate fan of the original... there is just notThe crticial reception of Dragon Age II is one of the most glaring examples of just how terrified the enthusiast video game press is afraid of upsetting publishers. They wouldn't dare tell you at what point this is a focus-driven rushed-to-market insult to video game consumers everywhere. I never played the original Dragon Age so I'm not an irate fan of the original... there is just not much to defend here. There isn't a single battle in the game (including bosses) that doesn't involve waves and waves of enemies spawning out of thin air waiting for you to mow them down. Sometimes, even when you give them a gentle whack, they explode into a dozen pieces... which I guess is suppose to make me feel like a bad ass. The entire game takes place in one city made up of a few small disconnected areas and the same two or three dungeons that are reused for the entire game. They even try to trick you into thinking this is a new area by blocking off doors you were previously able to go through and opening other ones. Why can't you go through that door you see this time around? Who knows! You just can't click on it! Look, when asked about this problem in an interview, the developers claim they had two choices: give us all original content and cut the game length down to a couple hours or reuse the same areas over and over until the game lasted twenty-five hours. If that doesn't give you an idea of how rushed this product is, I don't know what will. There is not 60 dollars worth of content here and yet so many people have already bought this game because the video game press is looking out more for themselves and not for us. The sad part of this is that underneath it all, the character interaction is great even if the overally story arc, like the rest of the game, is not well thought out at all. It's clear there were talented people working on Dragon Age II, but they weren't given the liberty or time to make this into a good product. Buyer beware. Expand
  35. Jul 6, 2011
    One of the worst games I have ever played. Game play utterly boring, and storyline without any redeeming qualities. A lackluster performance by E.A. and Bioware. Attention to detail was nonexistent. I will no longer buy any E.A. or bioware title. Just not worth the money
  36. Mar 21, 2011
    I've always thought of Bioware as a safe choice when buying a game. When EA took over I was worried that they were going to ruin another good game company, but surprisingly most of the games came out were good ol' Bioware (maybe abit rushed) with some useless DLC content that I did not care about. That was uintil I came across this joke of a game.
    First of all the world feels soulless and
    First of all the world feels soulless and small. Well actually, the world feels small because it is small. Quoting a critic "You cant have an epic story on your backyard". That pretty much sums it up.
    The game feels more like a grind than a RPG - You're basically running the same linear dungeons over and over again with enemies that have slightly different color and name. Even the bosses are recycled.
    Combat requires no strategy at all, you can basically buttons mash your way trough the game. Increasing difficulty just requires the player to have more potions and the patience to spam the buttons longer. Sure the people looking for a simple game might enjoy it more, but anyone actually looking for a challenge should not bother with this game.
    Something that Bioware has always gotten right is the story, but not this time. Most of the charaters feel hollow and boring, charater cameos from DA:O just makes you wish you were playing DA:O instead.
    The story itself is rather non thrilling and the side quests are very repeative.
    The graphics are outdated (PC) to say the least and there are some annoying gliches with some of the older graphic cards. If the game looks like it was made 10-years ago, it should atleast work with older hardware.
    I could go on pointing out flaws in this game, but I think i made my point - Dont bother paying 60 bucks for a crappy game. If you absolutely must play this game, then do yourself a favour and wait for the GOTY version with all the DLC content and bugfixes.
    When compairing to other games this game does not deserve a 0 though, but on a Bioware scale it absolutely does. It is definitely by far the worst game they have ever done.
  37. Mar 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's sad that this game has turned out how it has. Where i would play DA:O hours on end cause it immersed me into a beautiful world with diversity and a compelling story, i have to take a break from DA II every half hour because of the fatigue the game gives me, it's the same thing over and over, covered in bland and repeating surroundings and a general 'meh' feeling toward anything character or story wise.

I miss bird eye view alot when positioning party members, which is a shame since you haveto reposition alot due to enemies spawning out of nowhere. Simplified loot system is so uninteresting and easy to get around with that it's an annoyance to be bothering with.

Managing companions has been reduced to giving them jewelry. I never liked Massive effect to start with and the introduction of that wheel selection thing is just horrid to me.

In the end i felt like all options that would activate some braincells have been reduced to such simple tasks that i can't find it more challenging than setting one foot in front of another. It's so straightforward and linear :-S

The character selection system is restrictive and doesn't offer in any way what DA:O did, not at all. I don't feel like i'm playing a unique character at all in this game.

This game might of been received better if it hadn't been named the sequel to DA:O. But even if you take the first game out of the picture it still doesn't add up to a very good game in it's genre. I'd say i would rate it a 6 without ever playing DA:O. It's just not good. :(
  38. May 10, 2011
    Shame bio-ware let EA get there hands into dragon age such a waste. wish they would have keep it more along the lines of dragon age origins it would have been really awesome
  39. May 11, 2011
    I am a victim of this piece of crap. I got fooled because I am a DAO fan. Please spare yourself. Please Save your money. This is an insult to Dragon Age Origin Fans, and a sly move at cashing in on the original DA's success. Supporters are usually brainwashed diehard fans of the original Dragon Age game, but frankly this sequel is a cheap shortcut to everything DAO has established. It'sI am a victim of this piece of crap. I got fooled because I am a DAO fan. Please spare yourself. Please Save your money. This is an insult to Dragon Age Origin Fans, and a sly move at cashing in on the original DA's success. Supporters are usually brainwashed diehard fans of the original Dragon Age game, but frankly this sequel is a cheap shortcut to everything DAO has established. It's poor in every respect, and this I say without exaggeration. So please spare yourself from buying such a worthless game, just get yourself some Red Dead, or Batman AA, or Dead Space 2. Expand
  40. Jul 14, 2011
    This game was the biggest disappointment in the history of Role Playing games. Bioware hype the game like it was going to be better then Dragon Age Origins, and honestly i want the game to be. The developer forgot what an RPG game really needs, Freedom to do whatever. Not being able to customize my companions gear, and restricting a Mage or Rogue armor to my main when hes a warrior wasThis game was the biggest disappointment in the history of Role Playing games. Bioware hype the game like it was going to be better then Dragon Age Origins, and honestly i want the game to be. The developer forgot what an RPG game really needs, Freedom to do whatever. Not being able to customize my companions gear, and restricting a Mage or Rogue armor to my main when hes a warrior was probably the stupidest role playing decision ever. I felt like an errand boy when i'm playing Dragon Age 2, the fact this game sold as well as it did because of fan base from Dragon Age Origins is the greatest injustice ever. Expand
  41. Mar 18, 2011
    Combat is ridiculous. Animation speed increased to the point that no strike animations are visible. Intended to speed up combat ... which it doesn't, since the increased speed is offset by higher monster hitpoints and swarms of enemies.also, combat has been "coolified", meaning that every standard attack is the 'Fallout 3' equivalent of 'Bloody Mess', meaning that a killing stab with aCombat is ridiculous. Animation speed increased to the point that no strike animations are visible. Intended to speed up combat ... which it doesn't, since the increased speed is offset by higher monster hitpoints and swarms of enemies.also, combat has been "coolified", meaning that every standard attack is the 'Fallout 3' equivalent of 'Bloody Mess', meaning that a killing stab with a dagger causes humans to explode.

unconvincing encounters with different factions ... you somehow are constantly forced to kill potential allies. also swarms of enemies, even if you're just on a evening stroll to the nearest tavern.

also, maps get recycled over and over and over. sure, you're revisiting old locations very very often, but you'll see the exact same dungeon map on up to five DIFFERENT locations!
    Lazy!

No, this game is a complete fail in the categories Bioware tried to improve.
  42. May 9, 2011
    I don't bother to play most games, I'm very selective with respect to what I buy and play on my consoles. Bioware used to be a developer I could trust to make great games every time. But the things started to change ME2 was more shooter-ized, for a mainstream crowd, Dragon Age Origins: Awakenings was just terrible, and then Dragon Age 2 with so much promise was a complete let down... don'tI don't bother to play most games, I'm very selective with respect to what I buy and play on my consoles. Bioware used to be a developer I could trust to make great games every time. But the things started to change ME2 was more shooter-ized, for a mainstream crowd, Dragon Age Origins: Awakenings was just terrible, and then Dragon Age 2 with so much promise was a complete let down... don't get me wrong it's still better in my opinion than that vast majority of games out there, which I know is just a matter of personal preference. But it is just full of mistakes, the worst one being is that nothing you do effects the outcome of the story, it's the DA2 railroad, it's awful, don't waist your time here it has no replay value and it is a sorry excuse for a story driven role playing game. Expand
  43. May 20, 2011
    One of the most dissapointing games that i have ever had the misfortune of playing. Most of us loved DAO and we hoped that we finally had a game series that would give us the fulfillment that we all were looking for...alas we got Jade empire 2. I really dont know where to begin..the awful recycling of environments, the linear plot which gives ONE ending, yes thats right ONE, TheOne of the most dissapointing games that i have ever had the misfortune of playing. Most of us loved DAO and we hoped that we finally had a game series that would give us the fulfillment that we all were looking for...alas we got Jade empire 2. I really dont know where to begin..the awful recycling of environments, the linear plot which gives ONE ending, yes thats right ONE, The forgettable companions or fed ex quests that are scattered more than generously all over the game. Bioware are renowned for their great storytelling , guess what they dropped the ball this time, the plot is disjointed to the extent that at the end of the game you will be left scratching your head in confusion. To me it felt like a cash grab and also a betrayal from a dev that i have followed since 98. Expand
  44. May 20, 2011
    It's not often that a sequel comes out worse in every single way to its predecessor, yet the brilliant minds at BioWare have managed to accomplish just that with Dragon Age 2. This game is clearly rushed, likely due to the influence of EA, and doesn't even remotely resemble all of the greatness that Dragon Age Origins was known for. Try harder next time, BioWare, and you might win back myIt's not often that a sequel comes out worse in every single way to its predecessor, yet the brilliant minds at BioWare have managed to accomplish just that with Dragon Age 2. This game is clearly rushed, likely due to the influence of EA, and doesn't even remotely resemble all of the greatness that Dragon Age Origins was known for. Try harder next time, BioWare, and you might win back my business. Expand
  45. Apr 17, 2011
    The game tries hard to appeal to a wider audience. Tries to go the story route more than the strategy route. Unfortunatelly even on the story part, the game lacks depth. You have nor real background info on your character, you do not know why you are doing what you are doing and the things you do often seem artificial and not natural. One example: Instead of gathering 50 gold to make aThe game tries hard to appeal to a wider audience. Tries to go the story route more than the strategy route. Unfortunatelly even on the story part, the game lacks depth. You have nor real background info on your character, you do not know why you are doing what you are doing and the things you do often seem artificial and not natural. One example: Instead of gathering 50 gold to make a living you gather 50 gold to invest them in something. In order to get to those 50 goldcoins you do a lot of different quests. A few of them are good, but most of them involve running around for ages seeing the same stuff over and over again... back and forth back and forth.... the story has it peaks, but is overshadowed by really bad character integration. The class you play doesnt matter much do the dialogues. Even the world does not react if you are using magic on the streets, which is forbidden in the game. Combat wise, the game is very chaotic. There is no top down view anymore, so you often have problems with controlling the party or getting a good overview. Handling of NPC equipment is reduced to a minimum and there is no "common goal" that unites your party, but rather loose ties that dont really justify the actions of the companions. To me it didnt make much sense in most cases.

The game didnt develop naturally but feels forced by guidelines: "We need to have this, we need to have that... " In the end they should ve listened more to their stomach I think. Mediocre game with some good story moments, but lacking in most other areas.

I can only say this:
    "If you try to please everybody you will end up pleasing noone"
  46. Sep 27, 2011
    I registered with this website specifically so I could give this game a 0 rating. Having just completed Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age: Awakening about a month ago, I was eager to dive into Dragon Age II and pick up where I left off.

I somehow managed to finish the game, but it was only through sheer force of will and irrational hope that something in the ending would make it all worth it. The fact is, Bioware (or more accurately, EA controlled Bioware) took everything I loved about Dragon Age : Origins and removed it from the sequel. After that, they spent a few years living on corned beef and vodka in the bioware offices, all the while vomiting and defecating into a community trash bag, which they then compacted into a blue-ray disk and labeled "Dragon Age II".

Dragon Age II removed any realistic aspect of customization from the game. All talents and stat points are close to irrelevant, and you can literally pick anything randomly and spam the X button until the game is over if you really wanted to. They also removed any gear or itemization options. Items dropped at the very end of the game with 5 stars (an arbitrary ratings system that was meant to tell players that they should or shouldn't equip the item if they couldn't read the stats) that had literally the exact same stats as items with no stars that I received in the first 10 minutes of the game. In all reality, gear and items are pointless and may as well have not even existed. With the exception of switching your weapon out occasionally, items were pointless.

Combat was completely redundant and boring. You can (I did it) literally defeat the entire game by pressing 1 button. All of your talents and stats, as I said before, are largely irrelevant. The cross-class combo system was broken and awkward, and the lack of spells and abilities with any substance made combat absolutely painful to participate in.

The overall visuals were appealing, and the voice acting was fairly well executed. The storyline, companion development, and scope of the game however, were absolutely terrible. They used the same setting for the entirety of the game, recycling and reusing about 6 environment maps (yes, the actual same maps, not the same texture sets, but the exact same floorplans) for the entire game. Let's recap. Terrible writing, terrible storyline, meaningless stats and talents, redundant and boring gameplay, redundant and recycled surroundings, and a completely unfinished ending with hundreds of loose ends and a lose/lose conflict. This game is quite possibly the worst sequel ever made. Shame on Bioware, they are better than this. DA3 is supposedly addressing the issues people like me have raised. Let's hope they do, because I loved the first game and am willing to try again with the 3rd.
  47. Mar 22, 2011
    I found this game a complete disappointment. The voice acting is abysmal, and gameplay left me wondering what happened to the original game that I loved. I've had to restart the game using each class just to be sure that I was not missing something, regrettably I was not. I wouldn't advise picking up this title for less than $25.00 and only if you are a fan of the series.
  48. Mar 22, 2011
    Oh Bioware what have you done? Dragon Age Origins is my favourite game of all time and for the sequel to that amazing game youâ
  49. Mar 20, 2011
    There is not one good word I could say about this game. BioWare seem to be the only dev in the industry who dumb absolutely everything down and pass it off as being better than the first game. Truly terrible. And to top it all off, BioWare have been posting dishonest reviews on Metacritic praising the game. They don't deserve your money. LINK -There is not one good word I could say about this game. BioWare seem to be the only dev in the industry who dumb absolutely everything down and pass it off as being better than the first game. Truly terrible. And to top it all off, BioWare have been posting dishonest reviews on Metacritic praising the game. They don't deserve your money. LINK - http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/84747/bioware-employee-allegedly-caught-boosting-metacritic-scores/ Expand
  50. Apr 15, 2011
    I loved Dragon Age:Origins. I felt "Awakenings" was a bit less strong in terms of the story, however, I loved it too. But Dragon Age 2... BIG disappointment. Yes, the original game is a bit complicated, but once you get to know it, it becomes an experience to remember. However, with DA2, BioWare took the fun out for intelligent people. In addition, the graphics are not so good. It feels asI loved Dragon Age:Origins. I felt "Awakenings" was a bit less strong in terms of the story, however, I loved it too. But Dragon Age 2... BIG disappointment. Yes, the original game is a bit complicated, but once you get to know it, it becomes an experience to remember. However, with DA2, BioWare took the fun out for intelligent people. In addition, the graphics are not so good. It feels as I was playing a version of the game released for a previous console, let's say PS2. I can't believe it.

Anyway, I have read that BioWare management is pretty convinced that they will never adjust 180 degrees back to DA:Origins. However, I just hope they adjust at least 179 degrees back to its Origins.
  51. Apr 15, 2011
    If you still believe in specialized critics, this game is the definitive example of how far they are from the user's opinion. I think that some people in the video game market still think that there are only children below 10 buying games and for this (and other) reason they can do whatever they want. There is one word for this game: Bugged. Bugged gameplay, bugged graphics, buggedIf you still believe in specialized critics, this game is the definitive example of how far they are from the user's opinion. I think that some people in the video game market still think that there are only children below 10 buying games and for this (and other) reason they can do whatever they want. There is one word for this game: Bugged. Bugged gameplay, bugged graphics, bugged storyline and even bugged trophies. Talking about trophies, I decided to go in for the platinum because the trophies could give another dimension for DA2 and save me from total sadness. But after end the game for the second time, the EPIC trophy did not appear. I need to say that I'm already in my third PS3 console (I've got two YLODs!) and of course, I lost all my previous DA:O saved games. Considering that Bioware has the complete records of my DA:O game, including all trophy history (and my DA:O Platinum), I can't understand why they are penalizing gamers forcing them to finish that boring DA2 two times if you can't import your previous DA:O save. As a result, Bioware spoiled the good image that I had from Origins and I will think a thousand times before buying another game from them. Expand
  52. Apr 21, 2011
    Pros:
    + The clear abilities points distribution system is a improvement
    + Voiced protagonist dialogs
    + "Sell All Junk" button (Only a requirement when you have junk)

Cons:
    - Cheap dungeon design
    - Excessive gore and unnatural moves in combat animations
    - Spiders drop gold (What?)
    - Shallow characters and dialogues
  53. May 21, 2011
    what a stupid game i cant beleive i brought it the music is baaaaaaaad the graphics are baaaaaaaad the story is baaaaaaaaaaaaad the whole game is baaaaaaaaaad
  54. May 25, 2011
    I must reluctantly agree with a very low user score. The Origins made me wet myself it was that great. Ive played every DLC and can honestly tell you it was the RPG of the year for me with Witcher following it on the second place. Grim unforgiving world, gripping fighting mechanic, ive had multiple main heroes specializing in different magic schools - game was that replayable. Making uglyI must reluctantly agree with a very low user score. The Origins made me wet myself it was that great. Ive played every DLC and can honestly tell you it was the RPG of the year for me with Witcher following it on the second place. Grim unforgiving world, gripping fighting mechanic, ive had multiple main heroes specializing in different magic schools - game was that replayable. Making ugly choices and facing the consequences, reading about a boy that went missing during the fight in a village that was never found after a missing ive never completed, blackmailing and making a living from being a general a$$hole - "***** YEAH!" ive cried, this game is awesome. So why?! WHy did you do this to us, your loyal loving followers bioware. Why TF are you always, ALWAYS placed is in the fcking middle spot on every ffing fight?!. I cant believe how lobotomised the main hero and his gang were to ALWAYS end up there. It was a feature in Origins to pick your spot and fight from there. Fighting became tedious and annoyingly predictable with wave after wave AFTER WAVE of enemies, making mages less than relevant and even less relevant in boss fights, which are btw are even more tedious than normal fights. i didnt care about it anymore. Set the difficulty to Casual - that part of the game was dead to me, well done. Also thanks for dumming down dialogue options, they felt quite irrelevant after that as well. Such little investment in building your reputation and consequences when dealing with NPCs made that part dead to me as well. Do I support mages or templars, I didnt care which, they were mirror images of each other with betrayals and mad masterminds around every corner. So anything good about it? Yeah, id say engine is a major improvement, shading and lighting - nice. Models - very nice. Well done coders and art team - thats the only thing holding the game there. But with huge chunks of the game leaving a sour taste in the mouth that isnt enough unfortunately. Why did you take away all that was good in the game and had to dumb it down and make it incredibly annoying?! Bad marks for the game, Bioware! Expand
  55. Jul 8, 2012
    Dragon Age II was a let down, I don't like that the game is being told through a completely new character as it was some storybook. In Dragon Age: Origins you were able to choose race and story setting unlike this sequel. The setting is also very boring, in the prequel you could travel to all kinds of different places but in this game you find yourself in a dull city called Kirkwall. TheDragon Age II was a let down, I don't like that the game is being told through a completely new character as it was some storybook. In Dragon Age: Origins you were able to choose race and story setting unlike this sequel. The setting is also very boring, in the prequel you could travel to all kinds of different places but in this game you find yourself in a dull city called Kirkwall. The storyline is boring and cliché, it doesn't live up to it's expectation and it does surpass it's predecessor. To make it even worse Bioware were so lazy they reused the same locations over and over again Expand
  56. Mar 22, 2011
    Incredibly disappointing. Lots of boring fighting in the same boring environments. Story doesn't tie in with gameplay. Feels very rushed. What has happened to one of my favourite developers :(.
  57. Mar 20, 2011
    I'm giving this game a 4 because well, with all the obvious bugs(game freezes at random), lackluster story and horribly dumb down game-play. While there was 1 advance(fully voiced main character) in game play, the rest of the game was watered down and recycled. Bad business BioWare. Don't waste your money buying, rent it instead.
  58. May 17, 2011
    A total garbage game that pretends to be an RPG like the wonderful The Withcher 2 but its nothing more than a pure repetitive hack'n slash with some conversation. Suck it down BioWare employees.
  59. May 18, 2011
    I had high expectations with this game after Dragon Age: Origins, the game was done without any care for the story, being short and leaving holes that may have been playable and interesting! The worst of it is repeating the same maps in the few places to go! I very much hope that Mass Effect 3 will not turn that same garbage!
  60. Jun 2, 2011
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is the result of attempting to market to the masses. The result of rushing production to "capitalize" on a loved franchise. The result of completely misunderstanding what made the first Dragon Age popular in the first place. This kind of thing is to be expected of that horrid producer EA who, let's face it, would be almost unheard of if they hadn't secured theLadies and gentlemen, this is the result of attempting to market to the masses. The result of rushing production to "capitalize" on a loved franchise. The result of completely misunderstanding what made the first Dragon Age popular in the first place. This kind of thing is to be expected of that horrid producer EA who, let's face it, would be almost unheard of if they hadn't secured the rights to make almost exclusive games for the major sports leagues so long ago. But it is NOT what is to be expected of BioWare, the company that gave us KotOR, Baldur's gate, and Neverwinter Nights. This is not a bad game relatively speaking, but the reason I give this a 2 is because of how much of an utter disappointment it is. Where to start? Dumbing down combat? The copy-pasted environments? The worse inventory system? The dialog wheel that seems more interested in telling its own story regardless of what the player chooses? Hell, they couldn't even get whether consoles had the auto-attack feature fight, which it didn't. Because nothing is more immersive than monotonously having to mash the X button the entire combat. Let's start with combat, shall we? From the very first dev interview I knew something was wrong. This sales guy said something along the lines of "Combat will be streamlined so casual players will be able to just fight their way through without the menu, but for older fans, you can still set up tactics and use the menu!" Essentially, this douchebag told us that you can succeed in combat by completely ignoring tactics and menus, but for some reason they give us the option to use them anyway. The result of this brilliant stratagem is a hack & slash Dynasty Warriors-style game where you mash X through endless hoards of enemies while even more respawn around you who, funnily, go after the closest enemies they spawn near, which is usually the mages handing out in back. Yes, this game PUNISHES YOU for relying on tactics. People say that these issues can be solved through cranking the difficulty up, but I can't fathom how this is the case, since all that accomplishes is making your squishy companions die FASTER. The environments. Need I say more? "Oh, but BW didn't have enough time! It was EA's fault!" Yeah, well I don't see how that changes the fact that after you beat the first act of the game, you have literally seen all there is to see. I wonder what else you could excuse with this logic; "Twilight would have been good if the author didn't suck!" "The Star Wars prequels would have been awesome if George Lucas didn't go insane before writing them!" The fact of the matter is that it sucks. It doesn't matter *why*, because it still does. And to touch on something one of the devs said in defense of the environments, how it was "artfully concealed"? No, it wasn't Having you enter and exit through the same dungeon 30 times from different areas is not "artfully done". Hell, they didn't even bother to alter the minimap to not show areas they block off. The inventory....Can you believe that even though they dumbed the crap out of this system, it STILL gets mired in useless crap you have to micromanage? They take away exchangeable armor for party members, they restrict what kind of weapons they can use (if you want an NPC that can use a bow you pick up, you need to pay for one.) and they don't ever let you change weapon styles. Varric can only ever use his crossbow. Isabella can't use a bow. Aveline can't use a 2h and Fenris can't use a shield. Why. The. Hell. Not? AND YET you still have to micromanage all the loot you pick up to make sure that all your party is still equipped with the best possible gear. BW has made an inventory system that is simpler AND still requires as much micromanaging as the first DA. ow do you DO that? The dialog wheel. Dear GOD the dialog wheel. I will never understand BW's obsession with that system. Why? What is so good about a circular select screen that gives you a few little blurbs of dialog you want to say before your character winds up saying something that only vaguely matches what you picked? If BW doesn't want our input, just make the game action-adventure and make the main character a handsome everyman with short brown hair and stubble who spouts cliched action-movie quotes. That's the direction they seem to have gone anyway. EA is cancer and BW is the willing carrier. Before this game, I was psyched to pick up TOR, ME3, and yeah, DA3. Now? I'm waiting for the reviews to come out before I even consider renting any of those. Vote with your money, people.â Expand
  61. Mar 9, 2011
    Exploration has been completely removed from the game. Quests are just a sequence of go here and talk/fight with these characters. Most zones are reused along the game so you feel like going through the same places again and again. Conversations and characters are fine, same for the story, not as epic as the first one though (which is not bad at all). There are just three classes, whichExploration has been completely removed from the game. Quests are just a sequence of go here and talk/fight with these characters. Most zones are reused along the game so you feel like going through the same places again and again. Conversations and characters are fine, same for the story, not as epic as the first one though (which is not bad at all). There are just three classes, which looks poor, and not much abilities to choose. Game is too easy at least on normal, too much: normal difficulty shouldn't be easy, there's an easy difficulty for that. Play it at hard or you will be missing the little combat deepness the game has. There are a few interesting combats though, like the one with the Ancient Rock Wraith that involves original mechanics like taking cover. Music is good, voices could be better but are fine. Graphics a little poor, they look good but a little more detail on scenarios would be good, everything looks too clean and not lively. Controls are a little messy, like characters moving even having "on hold" active or having difficulties to click on certain camera angles to move the character. Enemies, equipment and abilities could be more original and varied.

Overall it's worth to be played but no a game to be remembered. Or in other words it will be remembered because of the marketing invested in it, not because it's really a great game. If you are planning to buy it, better wait for it to lower its price. Not worth the full price.
  62. Apr 2, 2011
    Huge disappointment. A role playing game, with no role playing involved, just hack and slash your way through a bland recycled environment. The skill progression and inventory management are stripped back and the characters that join you along the way are boring. Ultimately if you are expecting the same brilliance as DAO - forget it.
  63. Apr 7, 2011
    Utterly disappointing. I was intending to write a long thought out review explaining in detail my dislike of this game. But why should I bother? Bioware obviously couldn't be bothered to spend time creating a faithful sequel, so likewise I won't bother spending time writing a thorough review. I have totally lost faith in Bioware.
  64. Mar 20, 2011
    Along with several other people here, I have never written a review or commented on a game before, but I felt the strong need to voice my opinion about DA2. It just isn't a good game at all. How is it possible that the gaming industry critics have given the game such a favorable review?? Surely they are getting paid by EA in some form or another - we already know that at least one biowareAlong with several other people here, I have never written a review or commented on a game before, but I felt the strong need to voice my opinion about DA2. It just isn't a good game at all. How is it possible that the gaming industry critics have given the game such a favorable review?? Surely they are getting paid by EA in some form or another - we already know that at least one bioware employee (name of Avalone I think?) has posted here with a perfect score. That isn't really bad, and I don't mind that so much, but it sure makes me wonder what else EA/bioware is up to. Here's a message to all RPG fans out there wondering whether to buy this game or not... you will be hugely dissapointed if you enjoyed DAO - because all of the things that made DAO great are missing in this game. Trust me when I say this (because I have no hidden agenda), the general consensus of the user reviews is a lot more accurate than the critics reviews. All of the things that you've read about the game from the user reviews (repeatiing dungeons, hack and slash style play, poor dialogue choices, non-immersion, no caring for characters, no sense of being part of a bigger world), it's all true. Stay away from this one - you can find a much better way to spend $60! Expand
  65. Mar 20, 2011
    DA2 simply, is NOT an RPG! It 's an "Hack & Slash Action RPG". All locations cloning. Everything that people liked in the first part, there is no continuation.
  66. Mar 20, 2011
    A dumbed down experience. Hack and slash combat, cluncky graphics, recycled enviroments bad pacing, boring storyline, bad dialog and companions. All the naysayers have been right since day one, this game has not been made with the spirit of an rpg and it's an insult to what Bioware used to be.
  67. Mar 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Absolutely disapointed, DA II feels like a long trailer for the first expansion. The effects of having played Origins are minimal and also disappointing. Where is Morrigan? Didn't you say the story with her isn't over? And what about Orsino the first enchanter becoming a Golem of Amgarrak with blood magic?!? This is just cheap recycling of already available monster designs. And then all the glitches and bugs: Killed Zevran in part 1, but then he shows up again. After Bethany returns at the final battle she seems to be invincible. everytime she dies I didn't have to revive her, she just resurrected without injury. As if the game wasn't already too easy. Playing on normal I just had to load maybe 2 or three times without ever using any special ability of my warrior. When Monsters appear you could just go to the toilet or watch TV, because you'll win the fight without doing anything. Okay, when there is a demon or a dragon you have to use a few portions. Also the money in the game is useless because these's nowhere anything nice to buy. I could go on like this for hours. I loved DA1 but this was just a big big disappointment :( Expand
  68. Mar 22, 2011
    *Shame on you* BioWare for destroying an excellent franchise. *Double-shame on you* BioWare for getting your employees to post positive reviews of this game (and no lameasses -- it's *not* the same as Obama voting for himself! Obama voting for himself does not influence others to vote for him. YOUR FAKE REVIEWS posted here on MetaCritic, however, *do* influence people). *Triple-shame*Shame on you* BioWare for destroying an excellent franchise. *Double-shame on you* BioWare for getting your employees to post positive reviews of this game (and no lameasses -- it's *not* the same as Obama voting for himself! Obama voting for himself does not influence others to vote for him. YOUR FAKE REVIEWS posted here on MetaCritic, however, *do* influence people). *Triple-shame on you* BioWare for scamming your customers and adding paid DLC immediately following release (you money-grubbers).

Take BioWare's fake postings on this site as testament to how bad this game is!

This *ahem* "sequel" cannot hold a candle to the original DA:O. They have dumbed it down to the extreme and released yet another crappy arcade experience. They have lost their core audience. Out of the gamers I know, there isn't *even one* RPG fan that is picking this title up. I myself am trading in my pre-ordered copy for a store credit -- if they give me five bucks for it I'll consider myself lucky.

OMG -- I finished DA:O (PC version) and believe me when I tell you: this is not even the same game!

If you liked DA:O, then go find yourself an old copy of Neverwinter Nights 'cause yer' gonna hate DA II.

I do recommend it to those people that play every single Dynasty Warriors game, however. "In the action, indeed".

I had so much high hopes for this game and I can safely say that now I wouldn't even buy it in a bargain bin. If I got it for free, I wouldn't even play it -- we only live so long to waste our time playing rubbish like this.

As for IGN -- 8.5? 8.5?????? SERIOUSLY?

I love what you guys wrote in the "Lasting Appeal" section of your review especially. You guys are going to replay this game in order to "develop different relationships". LOL!

Nuff said.

All you people that don't know what a BioWare RPG could and should be: please feel free to disagree with me.
  69. Mar 25, 2011
    This is NOT an RPG, folks. I should've listened to the negative reviews posted here but my excitement for a new console RPG took over and I purchased it anyway. Think of this game as a "Dynasty Warriors" or the related "Samurai Warriors" game. Now if mindless hack-and-slash doesn't appeal to you, this game won't either. Funny thing is, I love hack-and-slash as well as a good RPG butThis is NOT an RPG, folks. I should've listened to the negative reviews posted here but my excitement for a new console RPG took over and I purchased it anyway. Think of this game as a "Dynasty Warriors" or the related "Samurai Warriors" game. Now if mindless hack-and-slash doesn't appeal to you, this game won't either. Funny thing is, I love hack-and-slash as well as a good RPG but this game is neither! Download the demo and you will see what I mean. DO NOT HEED ANY OF THE GOOD REVIEWS ON THIS SITE! Did they even PLAY the game??? Expand
  70. Apr 13, 2011
    For another company I would probably give it a 4, but I expect better from Bioware so I'm giving it a 1. I've played both the PS3 and PC version. The graphics are worse than DA:O and yet at the same time it runs worse(for PC). Combat is pretty much just pressing X over and over again with one of the other buttons occasionally. Story is really weak. Losing the ability to play as a non-humanFor another company I would probably give it a 4, but I expect better from Bioware so I'm giving it a 1. I've played both the PS3 and PC version. The graphics are worse than DA:O and yet at the same time it runs worse(for PC). Combat is pretty much just pressing X over and over again with one of the other buttons occasionally. Story is really weak. Losing the ability to play as a non-human was a huge mistake. The dialogue wheel is annoying and so is the fact that everybody calls you Hawke. You might as well call this game "Mass Effect 1.5: No Guns, Just Swords". I'm glad I borrowed this game from a friend and didn't spend any of my own money on it. The only good thing I can say about this game is that the voice acting work range mostly from good to excellent. If you've never played DA:O or hated it, then you may like this game. If you liked DA:O chances are you will hate this game. Expand
  71. Sep 4, 2011
    The only thing Dragon Age 2 has going for it is that it looks better than Dragon Age: Origins; everything else is at least a step down.

I personally have played most role-playing games as a rogue; stealth always factors heavily in my game-play style, and has become integral in my approach to role-playing games. In fact, many would consider the idea of playing a game in a specific way which one chooses to be a hallmark of the role-playing genre; I choose a rogue, you choose a mage; I choose good, you choose evil, someone else chooses something in-between. BioWare (probably EA, with their track-record for killing smaller studios with corporate cash mongering and unrealistic deadlines) has effectively removed a significant amount of functionality in-favor of ... well, just less functionality.

In Dragon Age: Origins I played as a rogue. I would assemble my party, venture out into the wild, leave my party in a safe area, go into stealth mode, scout an area ahead, plan accordingly, and then advance my party in a tactful manner. Dragon Age 2 (for the PS3) enables me to do none of these things; stealth has a short (10-15 second) time-limit, the "hold party" function doesn't work, and even while entering areas in stealth mode enemies advance on the party, even while out-of-sight and out of attack range.

What's more is that Dragon Age 2 has taken the merit out of exploring areas to find rare/powerful items; 99% of items (which aren't potions or money) found from containers are just different varieties of pre-labeled trash; these items are immediately placed into your character's "trash" inventory, and are completely useless, other than to be sold for meager amounts of gold at a shop. These items include things like: a moth-eaten scarf, a stained bottle, moldy rag doll, etc. If you want the best items available: you buy them from EA via equipment packages, as you'll usually find junk while exploring.

Earlier I said that Dragon Are 2 looked better, and this is true -- the graphics and textures are much better than its predecessor -- but as a world it looks worse than Dragon Age: Origins. For example: there are many caves to visit in the game, but there are only one or two cave-type maps; when you go to one cave, it differs from the other not in layout or appearance, but is in-fact the exact same map as the others, but different areas are blocked-off. In Dragon Age: Origins most of the areas were unique, with unique layouts and vistas, but this is not the case with Dragon Age 2, which recycles the majority of environments (even house interiors are the same) probably so EA could hurry-up and release a sequel.

This is further evidenced by the lack of control players have over their party and character; in Dragon Age 2 you get a pre-scripted character (you don't get to design your own), with a largely pre-scripted story.

I urge anyone who considers buying this game to read the user reviews over the "Critic Reviews," as there is one fundamental truth regarding "Critics," and that is that CRITICS CAN BE BOUGHT. EA has spent a lot of money getting people to believe that Dragon Age 2 is a worthy predecessor to Dragon Age: Origins, but the fact is that it's a poorly-designed and rushed product that more often feels like it's a chore rather than an enjoyable game.
  72. Oct 30, 2011
    They tricked me with the Demo into buying this game on release. I loved Origins so I expected another quality title. As you start playing it just becomes insanely boring. The story line is bad, the characters are uninspiring, and even the zones put me to sleep. This was a rushed product with no love put into it. I can't even bring myself to complete it.
  73. Mar 17, 2011
    This game represents exactly what is wrong with the video game industry these days. What's more is that developers are attempting to inflate the scores of these games by creating fake reviews (see "Avanost"). For that, and the fact that this game is a travesty, I'm giving the game a 0.
  74. Mar 23, 2011
    WARNING: Most of the 9's and 10's on this site are obvious attempts by BioWare employees to skew the negative reviews this game has been getting. It's already been confirmed that an engineer at BioWare named "Avanost" (real name: Chris Hoban) left a 10/10 review for this game -- with ridiculous praise, to boot! Google it yourself if you like. Anyhoo, I am now 2/3 of the way through inWARNING: Most of the 9's and 10's on this site are obvious attempts by BioWare employees to skew the negative reviews this game has been getting. It's already been confirmed that an engineer at BioWare named "Avanost" (real name: Chris Hoban) left a 10/10 review for this game -- with ridiculous praise, to boot! Google it yourself if you like. Anyhoo, I am now 2/3 of the way through in this game and am finally giving up. I'm going to trade this puppy in before its value goes below $7.00 (which is what EB Games offered me). I thought the game would get better but it definitely _doesn't_! I finished the first one (on the PC) and after playing through the second, I feel that the name "Dragon Age" shouldn't be anywhere in the title. This is a hack'n'-slash game through-and-through -- and when I say that, I don't mean in a good way either. I'm saddened to say it, but buy this game at your own risk. Expand
  75. Mar 29, 2011
    There is a lot about this game that I love. It has excellent characters and an addictive, refined battle system... It's just a shame that the ridiculous amount of recycled content really kills it for me. There aren't even that many explorable areas in the game, and those that are there are all narrow corridors that are re-used over and over for the entire game. Also, the storylineThere is a lot about this game that I love. It has excellent characters and an addictive, refined battle system... It's just a shame that the ridiculous amount of recycled content really kills it for me. There aren't even that many explorable areas in the game, and those that are there are all narrow corridors that are re-used over and over for the entire game. Also, the storyline apparently spans nearly a decade, except the only way you would know that are the cut-scenes at the end of each act (of which there are three) telling you a number of years have passed... except, NOTHING, literally NOTHING changes over the years. At the beginning of Act 3 your party starts off standing in the exact spot where you finished Act 2 as if no time had passed at all. Laughable. This game could have been a classic had only more time been put into development. As it is, it's only recommendable if you think you can overlook these huge flaws and enjoy the strong combat and fairly interesting cast. Expand
  76. Mar 31, 2011
    This game is just another step forward to the destruction of classical rpg. I really love Dragon age:Origins, I think that it's really the successor of Baldur's Gate. But Dragon Age 2 has betrayed that spirit. Rpgs have not to be for a great audience, this is a big mistake!!! Big audience wants games like god of war, call of duty,... I can not talk with the pc's every time i want, and whenThis game is just another step forward to the destruction of classical rpg. I really love Dragon age:Origins, I think that it's really the successor of Baldur's Gate. But Dragon Age 2 has betrayed that spirit. Rpgs have not to be for a great audience, this is a big mistake!!! Big audience wants games like god of war, call of duty,... I can not talk with the pc's every time i want, and when I have the chance to do it i have a stupid symbol that tells me exactly the kind of answer i'm going to choose. The length is shorter than Origins(I suppose I will have to buy a lot of DLCs if i want to play longer). And i can not dress my pcs as I want. I only can choose one race, there are less talents for every class, and a long etcetera. Please, Bioware, if someday Dragon Age 3 is made, return to the system of Origins. That game was for me a great surprise, but Dragon Age 2 has deceived me a lot! If i want to play a jrpg i will play Mass Efect, but Dragon Age is another kind of game, do not destroy this saga only because you want to sell more! Expand
  77. May 17, 2011
    this is such a bad game,absolutely pathetic attempt at creating an rpg,shame on you bioware,i will be never ever ever again purchasing any of your products after this abomination of a game
  78. Mar 9, 2011
    just a terrible game! i totally agree with the people saying this takes out the "role-playing" out of the roleplaying game. hawke isnt even that cool and the story was flat out... well just that, FLAT. DA2 just destroyed what was to be a great franchise
  79. Mar 24, 2011
    This game is bad! I really hated this game it's a surprise that this game comes from the people who made mass effect 2. This has to be the biggest waste of money in my entire history of playing games. If you say you like this game you are fooling yourself. It sucks!
  80. Mar 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Summary: poor dialogue choices, no multiple endings, feels like the same level repeated with slight variations and worst of all an involvement in an unimportant conflict.
    No more 4-6 dialogue choices, this has been reduced to 3. The first is diplomatic; you will use this often but find that fact annoying. The second is funny/diamond, funny is useless nothing like joking about how your inheritance was lost or a family members death. Third, aggressive 100% useful if you WANT to turn your party members against you (Maybe it makes Fenris like you.). Then thereâ
  81. Mar 13, 2011
    Very disappointing. A complete step backwards from DA:O in every respect-- graphics, gameplay, characters and storytelling. This was a rush job, and it shows.

I'm very sad that apparently BioWare thinks so little of their customers as to foist this off on them as being worthy of $60 and the additional cost of the Day One DLC. I want to feel angry about this but I mostly just feel very,

I want to feel angry about this but I mostly just feel very, very sad.
  82. Mar 22, 2011
    I borrowed a copy of this on a whim to see if it was better on the PS3 than on the PC (version that I purchased). It seems that the many things about DA2 that don't work, don't work on every platform. So, I guess they can at least say that it was a sucessful port.
  83. Mar 17, 2011
    This not the game we expected. Bioware has a history of making RPGs for RPG gamers like BG, BG2, NWN,KotOR, and DaO. This isn't even a distant relative of the titles that make up Bioware's legacy. As an action RPG, it's mediocre. Measured against what's come before it, it's even less. Button mashing kung-fu fights with preposterously overlength two handed swords? Characters moving likeThis not the game we expected. Bioware has a history of making RPGs for RPG gamers like BG, BG2, NWN,KotOR, and DaO. This isn't even a distant relative of the titles that make up Bioware's legacy. As an action RPG, it's mediocre. Measured against what's come before it, it's even less. Button mashing kung-fu fights with preposterously overlength two handed swords? Characters moving like circus acrobats? Opponents turning into giant exploding blood bags when defeated? Continuity breaking finishing move cut scenes? No thanks...and that's just the combat. I could go on, but there are better things to do with my time--and way better games to spend your money on. Expand
  84. Mar 17, 2011
    Ok I am supporter of Bioware who has been the best company for RPG. But this is a disappointment and waiste of my money. I don't think it's their fault I feel its been rushed and ruined by EA.

:( Bioware still love you tho
  85. Mar 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What sucks is all the hype around this for a lackluster game. "Oh DA2 is da best game ever!" Then once you play it, you trade it in and say "I can't believe I gave into hype." I can't believe the words "hype", "improvement", and better yet, "critics." Improvment. What? I thought this was the first game. Hype. Yeah, hype over nothing. Critics. They're just jumping on the "big name" bandwagon that critics jump in. They give alot of positive reviews to crappy games. Just because it's a big name. Do yourself a favor, and avoid. Rental at best. Score 4.0 Expand
  86. Mar 10, 2011
    Fans of RPGs will find this a huge disappointment. It's falsely-advertised and very dumbed down in order to appeal to a younger audience.

There's little good to be said. And there's a lot of bad things to known. Sadly, truth hurts. The most noticeable change lies in combat. It's faster, grittier, more responsive and... not very tactical. I kept using the very same tactic throughout the

The most noticeable change lies in combat. It's faster, grittier, more responsive and... not very tactical. I kept using the very same tactic throughout the game the whole. 'Cause it was the fastest way to slay my foes. It involved having one melee unit (in this case a warrior specialized in two-handed combat) and 3 ranged units (one, preferably a healer). It's simple. I would let the A.I. control the warrior, he jumped into the fray and did whatever he wanted - Gathering the attention of my enemies. At the same time I would have all my 3 units selected at all times. And order to them to focus fire on the same target and when it dies, move onto the next target. Most often combat lasted less than a minute using this method - It was very dull.

But what about the story? I can tell you it's great, though disappointing. It's a lot like the one in Mass Effect 2. Dragon Age 2 lacks a real [visible] plot. Instead you'll follow Hawke and company for years in the city of Kirkwall. While playing, it will feel like a giant side quest, that contains side quests. It's not too bad, as there's a lot of good moments in the game, some that comes completely unexpected, depending on your relationship to your companions. The ending is however very disappointing and makes the game seem like a pro-logue.

The visuals are mostly dull. There's very little to be seen and the animation is stiff and awkward, which is strange seeing how we've had, and it still is, outstanding animation in games that was released in the early 2000s. And there's a total of 3-4 dungeons in the game that you will be visiting, over and over and over again (in side quests). AND THE BLOOD IS STILL AWKWARDLY APPLIED TO YOUR CHARACTERS FACES.

To summarize the whole game. It traded in the strategic and tactical thinking that Dragon Age: Origins had for a hack'n KITE and some slash game. Story is hidden and it will feel like a side quest, but you'll go "ah" when it's all revealed and probably disappointed. The interactions between you and your companions are better than ever. But even that won't save the game from it's flaws.

5/10. Bioware made the same mistakes in Mass Effect 2. Which you'd think they learned anything from. But it couldn't be further from truth. They are forsaking the RPG players tactical play, characters customization and much more in order to appeal to none-RPG players.
  87. Mar 10, 2011
    DA2 is misdirected.

DA2 is misdirected.

DA:Origin generates so much hype before it's release was due wholly to BioWare's legacy of the Baldur's Gate series. To dump this all down into a sanitized, mass effect like non-RPG is just doing a disservice to it's fanbase. I am the very few that hated the Mass Effect series. Hated the sanitized look and feel, hated the linear progression, hated the radial based conversation option.

Here it's just Mass Effect: Fantasy. Combat is unengaging, strategy is non existance, graphic is not as impressive as ME and for all it's marketing effort to label this as a RPG. It is not even close. It shouldn't even be categorized as an RPG. A more apt category is a fairly competent Diablo clone. A hack and slash.

So if you love DA:Origin you would hate this. If you love Baldur's Gate, you will deplore this and banish it to the attic while you wait on Witcher 2. And never believe for a second that BIOWARE would come back to it's glory days of D&D type RPG or for all the hype they would generate for another so-so hack & slash.

Seriously, what are all these critic's smoking?
  88. Apr 4, 2011
    Worst Bioware game ever. Rushed and pandering to the lowest common denominator. Feels like they just dialed it in and tried to dress it up with lots of frills but no substance. I worry for Mass Effect 3 and The Old Republic.
  89. Mar 9, 2011
    There are more than enough depressing things about the world - sociopathic societal elites; rampaging corporations; climate change; ignorance everywhere you look (to name but a few); did Bioware really need to add Dragon Age II to the list?

DAII stinks. It didn't remotely live up to the billing and attention it received in the wake of its release announcement. I've thrown away several perfectly good hours on this steaming turd and I will not waste a moment more. Sunk costs be damned.

Don't waste your time or money. It's not an RPG it's a button masher. Total disappointment. I'm sure Bioware is thrilled to see that people who can spell dislike the game; that means their target audience for this turd, an audience that I suspect consists of your very average 12 year old, will probably like it. Doubt I'll be buying Mass Effect 3.
  90. Mar 9, 2011
    a piece of chicken > dragon age 2
    (Preferably with sauce) Dragon Age: Origins is superior in ever possible way - Unfortunately I wasted my $65 crack money on this piece of garbage, and wasn't able to get a full refund - craigslist here I come.
  91. Mar 9, 2011
    1. Rogue Archer is useless. The NPC dude is much better and it's almost impossible to run from mobs with two rogues and one mage. I had to cheese every single engagement. I hope you get a warrior if you keep playing because ****
    The worst thing: The difficulty on insane is not from tactical depth. All you need is luck and button-mashing (and running around in circles, if your party sucks).

At least I can spec the Dwarf to be melee if I want my character to be ranged.
    Oh wait I can't. That's right, **** your RPG-ism. You play like we want.

2. The gameplay has nothing to do with tactical RPG. Your only real option is when to press the ability buttons.
    Tactical placement of characters, stealth, backstab etc. doesn't mean **** All you need to do is press the button since _everything_ is an ability now.
    I don't even see what I could be doing differently. There are a few battles where you can chokepoint enemies in doorframes, otherwise there is little to do tactically.
    It feels like half of the elements of BG2 combat are missing. In BG2 I usually ended up planning hard engagements, leading different enemies into traps I set earlier, buying specific items and buffs just for that engagement. DA2 is so far away from that complexity. DA:O wasn't perfect, but it was at least a bit closer.
    Rogue used to be about using a few things like stealing, positioning and stealth. Now it's just like beeing a mage - a Rogue mage.

Also, I hate the amount of enemies. The screen is littered with em and any amount of tacticality that remained is pretty much an efford in futility. Most mobs should have been about the size of your party, but with interesting foes. I don't even particulary analyze what enemies I am fighting, I am doing the same charade over and over again.
    Miles and miles away from previous RPGs.

3. You never get to plan ahead anyway, since ALL enemies just drop on you literally. This is the worst thing ever and I can't grasp how they thought this would be a good idea.
    It's almost like Mass Effect 2 now. "Oh look an empty room. Welp, ambush. How surprising"
    Preparation doesn't get you any further. I also haven't used any potions or buffs yet previous to engagements. Maybe it was too early in the game for that though.

4. Camera angle.. whatever. Isometric view wouldn't have salvaged the gameplay.

5. Everything feels so restricting. You have almost no choice in what your character does and how he looks etc. Inventory has become more or less obsolete. It doesn't even feel like an RPG in that sense.
    For some reason the character creation process and the initial RPG immersiveness has - for me- never felt so disappointing in any PC RPG.
    It feels like a movie.
    Everytime. Cutscene. Go somewhere, enemies appear out of thin air, second wave, cutscene. Repeat. Every.. single .. time.
    Immersion level is very low. If you care about those things.

6. Graphics are fine, voice acting is nice etc.

7. Art style is ****ed. The ****ing Dalish elves look like cartoon characters. This has bothered me the most. It's like an anime. I expect this will be even worse later on. Not that the gameworld is completely unattractive. It just feels like EVERY SINGLE THING they changed is worse than in DA:O.
    I HAVE to use that dwarf with the cyberpunk Machine gun in an high fantasy RPG? Yeah thanks, totally works for me. **** you.

8. You can interact even less with the gameworld. In the spirit of dumbing it down this is not too surprising. But there is so little loot, so little to pick up or see or get.
    You just don't get the feeling the enemies are actually carrying weapons or whatever.
    It feels like you get a generic reward, instead of actually "going through their stuff for useful ****".
    Feels wrong.

9. The interface is **** I don't even know why, but it annoys me hugely. Probably because back in the day the interface symbolized a backback or inventory or a spellbook or whatever. Now it's literally a list of computer buttons. Just like the loot is not actual loot, but a computer-given reward. Also feels wrong.

With a decent story I could see myself buying this for 10â
  92. Mar 9, 2011
    This game was a poor attempt at an Rpg even for an action Rpg it's dated graphics and poor gameplay let this title down, when compared to the original dragon age origins it is indeed seen as being an inferior sequel.
  93. Mar 9, 2011
    Bioware has created what could go down as the worst "RPG" ever made. Of course, I have to say RPG in quotations, because all RPG elements have been stripped. It is a "role playing" game I guess, but that role is a very strict one laid down by Bethesda. There are no choices to make now, as has become a Bethesda trademark, and very few dialogue trees. The dialogue now is just a linearBioware has created what could go down as the worst "RPG" ever made. Of course, I have to say RPG in quotations, because all RPG elements have been stripped. It is a "role playing" game I guess, but that role is a very strict one laid down by Bethesda. There are no choices to make now, as has become a Bethesda trademark, and very few dialogue trees. The dialogue now is just a linear rambling between two bored sounding cookie cutter people, and the instead of influencing the conversation, you are only allowed to select whether the character will do the conversation angry, soft, or sarcastic.

Gone is any hint of stategy of depth to combat. The game is a click fest, a poor mans devil may cry, that requires no skill to beat on hard or lower difficulties. On nightmare, a mode they obviously ran out of time on balancing, is just frustratingly impossible, not because it provides a good challenge, but because instead of balancing it, they just added 10000hp to every enemy and said "done".

The graphics represent and huge step back not only from Dragon Age origins, but for the whole generation. This looks like something you'd find on the Playstation 2. The game lacks any art direction, and any sense for colors other than brown.

Dragon Age 2 is not only a huge step back for the series, but a huge step back for video games in general. The dumbing down of the series marks the biggest leap in what has become a trend in video game design. I can only hope that Bioware listens to the fans after this outing and, pun intended, return to their origins as RPG designers in their next outing.
  94. Mar 9, 2011
    Very bad. Sony has terrible sauce with stuff that makes everybody sad, and they cry because they think it's supposed to be good. TL;DR: very very bad, do not
  95. Mar 10, 2011
    i liked the story of dragon age 1 despite the mediocre graphics. what i really dont liked, was the straight forward level design its the same with mass effect which is exactly taken just "dragon age in space"

after playing da1 i really felt like it was roleplaying for dummies. roleplaying for me ist always something like oblivion (or baldurs gate) or fallout (every part of it) different paths a open world linked with decision making and character development with different impacts.

but what are the changes in dragon age 2? they try to make it easier and more simple to meet the casual gamers wishes. are you serious? show me one person who quit dragon age, cause it was too hard and too confusing...

i hope this works out for EA its good that nobody is forced to buy this game. life is too short for another "run of the mill hack and slay" game
  96. Mar 9, 2011
    Perfect for the knucklehead console gamer. Great for mashing buttons and smashing beer cans on your forehead. Console trash at its finest. Wait for the bargain bin or BUY THIS USED if you are thinking of purchasing this game.
  97. Mar 9, 2011
    Game is insanely glitch for the PS3, with freezing occuring every 5-10 minutes. Have been unable to get past the customization screen - and that's if I get lucky and manage to get past the "new game" loading screen from the main menu.

The PC version works fine and is fun, though dumbed down. If this game WORKED I am sure it would get at least a 7 out of 10 from me but the reality is I was shipped a bug-plauged signature edition that is poorly dev'd. A shame.
  98. Mar 9, 2011
    I cannot believe what Bioware did.. they $#!^ on the entire community. This game screams "WE WANT MONEY". This game had little to no effort put into it, it feels like you are playing the role of an inbred retard who needs your help. Yes, your help. You need to help him stop repeatedly punching himself in the face, because he is so damn stupid. The visuals are also terrible, the repeatedI cannot believe what Bioware did.. they $#!^ on the entire community. This game screams "WE WANT MONEY". This game had little to no effort put into it, it feels like you are playing the role of an inbred retard who needs your help. Yes, your help. You need to help him stop repeatedly punching himself in the face, because he is so damn stupid. The visuals are also terrible, the repeated textures and horrible emotions shown on the slapped on character faces remind me of 9/11. Bioware, you should feel ashamed, this is not a game, this is a joke. Expand
  99. Mar 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Terrible decepción. Se ha consolidado el juego en PC. ¿Ha esto ha quedado reducido el legado de Baldur´s gate?
    Graficos desfasados, falta la visión cenital.
    Parche con texturas de casi 1GB tras su venta.

1. Aug 3, 2011
    I'll give Bioware points for trying to do something different in their world, but they really did have it right the first time in terms of character building and the scope of the story.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    May 27, 2011
    Ultimately Dragon Age II feels like a one step past, and two steps back from Origins. It has been specced purely with us console gamers in mind and now has a low barrier of entry that will rally new fans to the Dragon Age banner. That's admirable, but fans who did get into Origins will lament the less masterful storytelling and the noticeably uneven visual presentation. [May 2011 p.78]
  3. May 16, 2011
    A smaller gameworld and recycled environments make Dragon Age II feel less expansive than Origins, but a number of console friendly game changes may make it more appealing to console gamers than its predecessor.