Dragon Age II PlayStation 3

4.3

1. May 22, 2011
    Oh, the hyperbole and the hysterics! Dragon Age II is not the best RPG ever, nor is it the worst. It does not deserve a score of zero. It also doesn't deserve a full ten. Obviously subjectivity is an issue, some people look for certain things in a game, while other players are judging by a totally different set of standards, but the extremes in scoring may say more about the fanbase thanOh, the hyperbole and the hysterics! Dragon Age II is not the best RPG ever, nor is it the worst. It does not deserve a score of zero. It also doesn't deserve a full ten. Obviously subjectivity is an issue, some people look for certain things in a game, while other players are judging by a totally different set of standards, but the extremes in scoring may say more about the fanbase than the game itself...

The Good (things I considered enjoyable)

The characters. Bioware typically shines when creating party members, and this game is no exception. Are they better than the DA:O characters? Well, let's just say I liked SOME DA:2 characters better than SOME DA:O characters. The conflict: Dragon Age II does not try to create another Blight level threat, instead it focuses on more complicated issues. There are no clear good guys here, only extreme views and scared people. The typical 'horde of evil' fantasy trope has its place, but it's nice to see a more nuanced conflict. I found it to be quite engaging.

The combat animations: Gone are the slow moving mages. No longer do I feel the need to mutter 'pew, pew' as they seem to slowly fire ineffectual bolts at their enemies.

Voiced PC. The voice acting in general is superb. The dialogue wheel could have been better utilized, but it is a step in the right direction. New designs for the fantasy races. Why even have elves if they're just going to be pointy eared humans? Take advantage of your visual medium and create something unique! Good on Bioware for deviating from the typical design.

The Bad: Reused maps. Uninspired environments. Kirkwall itself boasts a more unique design than most locations in DA:O, but it is static, unchanging and sterile. DA: II is supposed to take place over a number of years, that should should show in the city itself. There should have been changes in scenery, weather, ANYTHING! Total lost opportunity, Bioware. Disjointed quests. Sometimes you complete a quest without even realizing it because there is so little distinction between them. You stumble across your goal. Predictable fights. There is no variation and very little strategy involved. Weak third act. After an impressive amount of build up (and a strong second act) the climax of the game falls flat due to some heavily forced character moments. It loses it's organic feel. The Ugly:

Game breaking glitches. Many of these have been resolved with patches, but they should not have been an issue in the first place. They were just another sign that the game was rushed.

In conclusion: Dragon Age II is a polarizing game. It benefited from its brand (the oddly high early reviews and exceptional preorder sales), but perhaps that same pedigree has hurt it. People had high expectations, and when those expectations were not met they responded with (disproportionate) anger, and the backlash has been amusingly ferocious in intensity. You will likely find something to enjoy in this game if you REALLY enjoy the Dragon Age setting and would like to visit again (being more interested in a good story than a great game), or if you are a casual fan of RPGs. I find it has a fair amount of replay value. I would not recommend paying full price for it if you do not belong to one of these two groups. Wait for it to go on sale, keep your expectations reasonable and you may enjoy it. I did. Or you may not. If these reviews are anything to go by most people probably make up their mind well before they sit down to play.
  2. Mar 16, 2011
    this game has it's good and bad. 1st the bad, i don't like that i have to have anders in every party. he's designed to be the healer, unless your MC, is a mage then you can make him the healer. that's really weak, i don't want to be a healer i wanna destroy the enemy as a mage. not all mages can learn the same abilities, weak. aveline is designed to be the tank, well i don't like herthis game has it's good and bad. 1st the bad, i don't like that i have to have anders in every party. he's designed to be the healer, unless your MC, is a mage then you can make him the healer. that's really weak, i don't want to be a healer i wanna destroy the enemy as a mage. not all mages can learn the same abilities, weak. aveline is designed to be the tank, well i don't like her character she's what sten was in the DA:O, never used. i don't like the fact that when i'm at the estate, which is like party camp in DA:O, i don't have access to all of my party members. IMHO it feels like enemies don't drop enough coin. have you seen the prices of some of the gear? ridiculous! oh and the same map for every dungeon, warehouse, and mansion come on really?! now for the good, i really like the covo wheel. the party members have some really interesting things to say while running around. the story i think is great. combat system is awesome and yes i button mash until i have to micromanage, hate if you want. the graphics are better. i like that i don't have to micromanage everyones armor just their weapons unless it's bianca, dirty minx. i haven't beat the game yet and i have over 45 hrs. in the game. i've only heard that the cap level is 50, i haven't confirmed it though. DA:O cap was 20 something w/o the DLC, that's lame. don't listen to all the critics and user reviews. instead read them and decide if it's for you or not. you're the only person who can say, for you, that this or any other game is fun, great or horrible. i am enjoying it. Expand
  3. Mar 12, 2011
    I will be the first to admit that when Dragon Age: Origins release, I lost friends.....and almost my wife. I cant put into words the love I had, and still have for that game. When I heard about Dragon Age 2, you can imagine my excitement. Now its been almost a week since its release, and while I do actually like this game a lot, I wish I felt about it the same way I did Origins. DA2 isI will be the first to admit that when Dragon Age: Origins release, I lost friends.....and almost my wife. I cant put into words the love I had, and still have for that game. When I heard about Dragon Age 2, you can imagine my excitement. Now its been almost a week since its release, and while I do actually like this game a lot, I wish I felt about it the same way I did Origins. DA2 is not a bad game.....far from it. The game has been what Bioware would like to call: "Overhauled" The graphics do look a lot better, the combat has been re-worked, and conversations use the Mass Effect style wheel. The epicness seemed to have been lost in the fire, and while I like to new approach to combat....It feels a little too fast or arcadey for my taste. I would still recommend this game to any rpg fan, but as I a die hard Dragon Age fan, I would be lying if I said I wasnt let down only a little. Expand
  4. Mar 12, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 in my opinion is a much better game than DA:Origins. I never finished Origins because of the horrible combat system. And i'm plenty pleased about the armor situation. How many hours do u want to spend fiddling with your companions outfits! Jeeze! The bad reviews say much more about the reviewer than the game. Get a life! Get outside your parents basement and get someDragon Age 2 in my opinion is a much better game than DA:Origins. I never finished Origins because of the horrible combat system. And i'm plenty pleased about the armor situation. How many hours do u want to spend fiddling with your companions outfits! Jeeze! The bad reviews say much more about the reviewer than the game. Get a life! Get outside your parents basement and get some fresh air. Might clear up your clouded heads. While not a great game, its definitely bettter than the first. Expand
  5. Mar 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Summary: poor dialogue choices, no multiple endings, feels like the same level repeated with slight variations and worst of all an involvement in an unimportant conflict.
    No more 4-6 dialogue choices, this has been reduced to 3. The first is diplomatic; you will use this often but find that fact annoying. The second is funny/diamond, funny is useless nothing like joking about how your inheritance was lost or a family members death. Third, aggressive 100% useful if you WANT to turn your party members against you (Maybe it makes Fenris like you.). Then thereâ
  6. Mar 13, 2011
    Very disappointing. A complete step backwards from DA:O in every respect-- graphics, gameplay, characters and storytelling. This was a rush job, and it shows.

I'm very sad that apparently BioWare thinks so little of their customers as to foist this off on them as being worthy of $60 and the additional cost of the Day One DLC. I want to feel angry about this but I mostly just feel very,

I want to feel angry about this but I mostly just feel very, very sad.
  7. Mar 22, 2011
    I borrowed a copy of this on a whim to see if it was better on the PS3 than on the PC (version that I purchased). It seems that the many things about DA2 that don't work, don't work on every platform. So, I guess they can at least say that it was a sucessful port.
  8. Mar 17, 2011
    This not the game we expected. Bioware has a history of making RPGs for RPG gamers like BG, BG2, NWN,KotOR, and DaO. This isn't even a distant relative of the titles that make up Bioware's legacy. As an action RPG, it's mediocre. Measured against what's come before it, it's even less. Button mashing kung-fu fights with preposterously overlength two handed swords? Characters moving likeThis not the game we expected. Bioware has a history of making RPGs for RPG gamers like BG, BG2, NWN,KotOR, and DaO. This isn't even a distant relative of the titles that make up Bioware's legacy. As an action RPG, it's mediocre. Measured against what's come before it, it's even less. Button mashing kung-fu fights with preposterously overlength two handed swords? Characters moving like circus acrobats? Opponents turning into giant exploding blood bags when defeated? Continuity breaking finishing move cut scenes? No thanks...and that's just the combat. I could go on, but there are better things to do with my time--and way better games to spend your money on. Expand
  9. Mar 17, 2011
    Ok I am supporter of Bioware who has been the best company for RPG. But this is a disappointment and waiste of my money. I don't think it's their fault I feel its been rushed and ruined by EA.

:( Bioware still love you tho
  10. Mar 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What sucks is all the hype around this for a lackluster game. "Oh DA2 is da best game ever!" Then once you play it, you trade it in and say "I can't believe I gave into hype." I can't believe the words "hype", "improvement", and better yet, "critics." Improvment. What? I thought this was the first game. Hype. Yeah, hype over nothing. Critics. They're just jumping on the "big name" bandwagon that critics jump in. They give alot of positive reviews to crappy games. Just because it's a big name. Do yourself a favor, and avoid. Rental at best. Score 4.0 Expand
  11. Mar 10, 2011
    Fans of RPGs will find this a huge disappointment. It's falsely-advertised and very dumbed down in order to appeal to a younger audience.

There's little good to be said. And there's a lot of bad things to known. Sadly, truth hurts. The most noticeable change lies in combat. It's faster, grittier, more responsive and... not very tactical. I kept using the very same tactic throughout the

The most noticeable change lies in combat. It's faster, grittier, more responsive and... not very tactical. I kept using the very same tactic throughout the game the whole. 'Cause it was the fastest way to slay my foes. It involved having one melee unit (in this case a warrior specialized in two-handed combat) and 3 ranged units (one, preferably a healer). It's simple. I would let the A.I. control the warrior, he jumped into the fray and did whatever he wanted - Gathering the attention of my enemies. At the same time I would have all my 3 units selected at all times. And order to them to focus fire on the same target and when it dies, move onto the next target. Most often combat lasted less than a minute using this method - It was very dull.

But what about the story? I can tell you it's great, though disappointing. It's a lot like the one in Mass Effect 2. Dragon Age 2 lacks a real [visible] plot. Instead you'll follow Hawke and company for years in the city of Kirkwall. While playing, it will feel like a giant side quest, that contains side quests. It's not too bad, as there's a lot of good moments in the game, some that comes completely unexpected, depending on your relationship to your companions. The ending is however very disappointing and makes the game seem like a pro-logue.

The visuals are mostly dull. There's very little to be seen and the animation is stiff and awkward, which is strange seeing how we've had, and it still is, outstanding animation in games that was released in the early 2000s. And there's a total of 3-4 dungeons in the game that you will be visiting, over and over and over again (in side quests). AND THE BLOOD IS STILL AWKWARDLY APPLIED TO YOUR CHARACTERS FACES.

To summarize the whole game. It traded in the strategic and tactical thinking that Dragon Age: Origins had for a hack'n KITE and some slash game. Story is hidden and it will feel like a side quest, but you'll go "ah" when it's all revealed and probably disappointed. The interactions between you and your companions are better than ever. But even that won't save the game from it's flaws.

5/10. Bioware made the same mistakes in Mass Effect 2. Which you'd think they learned anything from. But it couldn't be further from truth. They are forsaking the RPG players tactical play, characters customization and much more in order to appeal to none-RPG players.
  12. Mar 10, 2011
    DA2 is misdirected.

DA2 is misdirected.

DA:Origin generates so much hype before it's release was due wholly to BioWare's legacy of the Baldur's Gate series. To dump this all down into a sanitized, mass effect like non-RPG is just doing a disservice to it's fanbase. I am the very few that hated the Mass Effect series. Hated the sanitized look and feel, hated the linear progression, hated the radial based conversation option.

Here it's just Mass Effect: Fantasy. Combat is unengaging, strategy is non existance, graphic is not as impressive as ME and for all it's marketing effort to label this as a RPG. It is not even close. It shouldn't even be categorized as an RPG. A more apt category is a fairly competent Diablo clone. A hack and slash.

So if you love DA:Origin you would hate this. If you love Baldur's Gate, you will deplore this and banish it to the attic while you wait on Witcher 2. And never believe for a second that BIOWARE would come back to it's glory days of D&D type RPG or for all the hype they would generate for another so-so hack & slash.

Seriously, what are all these critic's smoking?
  13. Mar 12, 2011
    I think it is a very good game, has a fantastic characterization and the rpg system has been streamlined to only the armor of the characters in the party for the rest of the gameplay mechanics are like the first, especially if played hard difficulty, it also has a fantastic plotI think it is a very good game, has a fantastic characterization and the rpg system has been stre
  14. Mar 16, 2011
    I really can't believe the negative user reviews on this game. As a veteran of Dragon Age: Origins, no, DA2 is not what I had hoped for in a true numbered sequel, but its still a brilliant albeit smaller work, and more than worthy of a purchase if you liked the original. DA2 ditches DAO's lame offline World of Warcraft combat with a much more responsive system. The story is very intimate,I really can't believe the negative user reviews on this game. As a veteran of Dragon Age: Origins, no, DA2 is not what I had hoped for in a true numbered sequel, but its still a brilliant albeit smaller work, and more than worthy of a purchase if you liked the original. DA2 ditches DAO's lame offline World of Warcraft combat with a much more responsive system. The story is very intimate, has 2 or 3 TRUE emotional punches in the gut, a very cool new protagonist and set of villains beyond the lumbering mindless Darkspawn. In all honestly, the only legitimate complaint that could be leveled against the game is its artstyle, which is up to personal preference, and the very narrow scope of the world in the game. Kirkwall is indeed your prison. All told, the game looks great, plays great, tells a great story, and is worth your money. Don't let the PC elitists bitter over a "consolized" sequel damper your hopes for it, Bioware delivers again, just not in the grand scope and sweeping epic of the original. Expand
  15. Mar 17, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 is a good game bordering on greatness that suffers a few missteps. Characters are good. Story is good. Combat is good. The reuse of dungeons is problematic but considering the accelerated development cycle it is understandable; While every texture will not be unique they compensate by a very large number of secondary and side quests that flesh out the lore of both Kirkwall,Dragon Age 2 is a good game bordering on greatness that suffers a few missteps. Characters are good. Story is good. Combat is good. The reuse of dungeons is problematic but considering the accelerated development cycle it is understandable; While every texture will not be unique they compensate by a very large number of secondary and side quests that flesh out the lore of both Kirkwall, your Party Members, and the Dragon Age Universe in general. The critic rating is appropriate, please ignore the vast majority of the user reviews. Despite their outrage this game is NOT worse than Superman 64. It does NOT have PS2 quality graphics. Expand
  16. Apr 4, 2011
    Worst Bioware game ever. Rushed and pandering to the lowest common denominator. Feels like they just dialed it in and tried to dress it up with lots of frills but no substance. I worry for Mass Effect 3 and The Old Republic.
  17. Mar 9, 2011
    There are more than enough depressing things about the world - sociopathic societal elites; rampaging corporations; climate change; ignorance everywhere you look (to name but a few); did Bioware really need to add Dragon Age II to the list?

DAII stinks. It didn't remotely live up to the billing and attention it received in the wake of its release announcement. I've thrown away several perfectly good hours on this steaming turd and I will not waste a moment more. Sunk costs be damned.

Don't waste your time or money. It's not an RPG it's a button masher. Total disappointment. I'm sure Bioware is thrilled to see that people who can spell dislike the game; that means their target audience for this turd, an audience that I suspect consists of your very average 12 year old, will probably like it. Doubt I'll be buying Mass Effect 3.
  18. Mar 9, 2011
    a piece of chicken > dragon age 2
    (Preferably with sauce) Dragon Age: Origins is superior in ever possible way - Unfortunately I wasted my $65 crack money on this piece of garbage, and wasn't able to get a full refund - craigslist here I come.
  19. Mar 11, 2011
    This is one of the best RPG in the world. Unlike the first part of the game is 10 hours and she's fun and interesting. I do not understand people who put her 0 and 1. You even played in it?? Why spoil a game rating? Do nothing else or what?
  20. Mar 15, 2011
    Don't get sucked in by the negativity surrounding this game, it is in many ways inferior to the original but there are more then enough improvements to make it an enjoyable experience. There are a number of risks taken especially with the story and setting, but I think they work and are worthwhile.
  21. Mar 16, 2011
    Why would they do this? What was so broken that it needed such drastic actions? I don't understand anything...of the user complaints. Dragon Age 2 has been criticized for being too easy, dumbed down and bland. I will discuss the gameplay first, then talk a bit about the setting and story. DA2 is not easy. Yes, if you pick normal in DA2 it's easier then in DA:O, but you can go up inWhy would they do this? What was so broken that it needed such drastic actions? I don't understand anything...of the user complaints. Dragon Age 2 has been criticized for being too easy, dumbed down and bland. I will discuss the gameplay first, then talk a bit about the setting and story. DA2 is not easy. Yes, if you pick normal in DA2 it's easier then in DA:O, but you can go up in difficulty if you want a better challenge. Personally, I'm playing hard, and have met quite some interesting challenges. It's even nice that you can play the game pretty easily on normal, so that everyone can enjoy the game without the but-you-played-on-easy-shame. Just pick the difficulty that fits you, and the too easy problem is fixed. I guess it's just too hard to switch to another difficulty. I seriously don't get what's the problem with dumbed down. The skills are well distributed and tons of combinations are possible. While finishing my first game as a two-handed-weapon fighter, I was already thinking how I would make my new two-handed-weapon fighter play different. I've also been moving my characters around a lot more then in DA:O, and not just because I needed to clear the way for a mages fireball. Friendly fire has been disabled, which I applaud since that does not belong in a realtime team-based RPG. Moving all the characters in DA:O before casting AoE was just annoying imo, and I'm glad its gone. The isometric top view is gone, which makes it a little harder to move around the characters or casting AoE spells, but its nothing that hindered me from having fun. The tactics work pretty good, and the AI is very decent. I still paused the game a lot in difficult situations, which is good. Potions and healing have a much bigger cooldown, so health is a valuable resource again. The only problem I have with combat is that it's easy to kite an opponent, buying time until you can drink a new potion. It almost feels like cheating, especially if there are no ranged enemies nearby. Other then that, the combat is fun and quick while being tactical whenever you want it to be due to difficulty settings. It certainly made the game more enjoyable for me. Wrapping up gameplay, it has been one of the best for RPG's, surpassing DA:O.
    The story and setting have a hard time to hit off, but once it does, it sticks pretty well. I'm very happy with the character design and like everyone of the party. I have no idea why people would say it's so much worse then DA:O. However, getting to know a character better and finding out their likes has become somewhat more difficult. The friendship between the characters must develop over the whole game, which sometimes gives an odd feeling. Why can't I talk about an issue now? What do you even like? I don't want to wait 3 years to develop something! Because of these obvious secrets, the characters grow enigmatic, even though they're not meant to be like that. Another thing that is a bit annoying about the story is that because everything is spit into acts, your character only develops significantly at the end of each act. This feels a bit unrewarding. I'd liked to see Hawke gain a normal job, rising in ranks, rising it stature etc. not only at the end of each act. One thing that is annoying in my eyes, is the derailing of the story which is almost mandatory. The game plays in different acts, and every act has 4 to 5 main quests to proceed the story. All other 30 or so quests are sidequests. It's nice to have sidequests to know the city better, but I think they slightly overdone it. The game can be played as a collection of sidequests if you don't know where you're heading, especially in Act 1. This underlines the unrewarding feeling of character development. The sidequests can also be hard to find sometimes, leaving you with the " did I miss something?" feeling a bit to much. I have mixed feelings about the environment. Kirkwall is a great city, but "propped" down a lot. Most people seem static, and if it wasn't for the sidequests, the city might feel dead. The other environments are also pretty grey, like the bonepit and sundermount. This leaves the game in a grey tint, never being refreshing like the forests in DA:O. The graphics look pretty good, but certain animations are still to clunky. especially when two characters are interacting, the suspension of disbelief breaks immediately. The game could do with a little more ambiance. The moral choices you have to make are again suburb, and the dialog wheel, even though it influences your choices to much for my taste (I want to say A, but I don't want to break my character who mostly says B), it gives Hawke some character. THANK GOD they did not made the important choices be influenced by the wheel!
    Wrapping it up together, I enjoyed DA2 alot, and I'll keep playing it to explore different situations and tactics. It certainly has some setting problems, but it's still a lot of fun.
  22. Mar 17, 2011
    With the reputation that Bioware built in the past years, I really wonder whether Bioware is actually satisfied with the performance they delivered and if they would ever be honest about it. Its not about the combat, which in some ways I found satisfying and enjoying despite its less tactical. Its not about the simplification of the RPG system. The worst thing in my opinion is theWith the reputation that Bioware built in the past years, I really wonder whether Bioware is actually satisfied with the performance they delivered and if they would ever be honest about it. Its not about the combat, which in some ways I found satisfying and enjoying despite its less tactical. Its not about the simplification of the RPG system. The worst thing in my opinion is the lifelessness of the story, the characters, the environments. Bioware games stood for epic and immersive storylines, atmosferic environments, deep and evolving charachters and overall...choice. That is gone with DA2. No epic beginning of the story that leaves you wondering where this is all going. The first 8 hours you spend time to try to 'get into the city' jumping from the same locations to the same locations and worse, a lot of 'different' environments are exactly the same. Not just in textures or anything, but EXACTLY the same map with the only difference is that sometimes certain areas of the map are not accessible by a locked door. Compared to ME 1&2, DA:O, KOTOR etc, Bioware should be ashamed of themselves. If this is the new direction Bioware is taking, I am already worried about their future games. I already bought this one blindly like everyone else being negative about the game, but their next game I will consider with greater care. Expand
  23. Mar 9, 2011
    1. Rogue Archer is useless. The NPC dude is much better and it's almost impossible to run from mobs with two rogues and one mage. I had to cheese every single engagement. I hope you get a warrior if you keep playing because ****
    The worst thing: The difficulty on insane is not from tactical depth. All you need is luck and button-mashing (and running around in circles, if your party sucks).

At least I can spec the Dwarf to be melee if I want my character to be ranged.
    Oh wait I can't. That's right, **** your RPG-ism. You play like we want.

2. The gameplay has nothing to do with tactical RPG. Your only real option is when to press the ability buttons.
    Tactical placement of characters, stealth, backstab etc. doesn't mean **** All you need to do is press the button since _everything_ is an ability now.
    I don't even see what I could be doing differently. There are a few battles where you can chokepoint enemies in doorframes, otherwise there is little to do tactically.
    It feels like half of the elements of BG2 combat are missing. In BG2 I usually ended up planning hard engagements, leading different enemies into traps I set earlier, buying specific items and buffs just for that engagement. DA2 is so far away from that complexity. DA:O wasn't perfect, but it was at least a bit closer.
    Rogue used to be about using a few things like stealing, positioning and stealth. Now it's just like beeing a mage - a Rogue mage.

Also, I hate the amount of enemies. The screen is littered with em and any amount of tacticality that remained is pretty much an efford in futility. Most mobs should have been about the size of your party, but with interesting foes. I don't even particulary analyze what enemies I am fighting, I am doing the same charade over and over again.
    Miles and miles away from previous RPGs.

3. You never get to plan ahead anyway, since ALL enemies just drop on you literally. This is the worst thing ever and I can't grasp how they thought this would be a good idea.
    It's almost like Mass Effect 2 now. "Oh look an empty room. Welp, ambush. How surprising"
    Preparation doesn't get you any further. I also haven't used any potions or buffs yet previous to engagements. Maybe it was too early in the game for that though.

4. Camera angle.. whatever. Isometric view wouldn't have salvaged the gameplay.

5. Everything feels so restricting. You have almost no choice in what your character does and how he looks etc. Inventory has become more or less obsolete. It doesn't even feel like an RPG in that sense.
    For some reason the character creation process and the initial RPG immersiveness has - for me- never felt so disappointing in any PC RPG.
    It feels like a movie.
    Everytime. Cutscene. Go somewhere, enemies appear out of thin air, second wave, cutscene. Repeat. Every.. single .. time.
    Immersion level is very low. If you care about those things.

6. Graphics are fine, voice acting is nice etc.

7. Art style is ****ed. The ****ing Dalish elves look like cartoon characters. This has bothered me the most. It's like an anime. I expect this will be even worse later on. Not that the gameworld is completely unattractive. It just feels like EVERY SINGLE THING they changed is worse than in DA:O.
    I HAVE to use that dwarf with the cyberpunk Machine gun in an high fantasy RPG? Yeah thanks, totally works for me. **** you.

8. You can interact even less with the gameworld. In the spirit of dumbing it down this is not too surprising. But there is so little loot, so little to pick up or see or get.
    You just don't get the feeling the enemies are actually carrying weapons or whatever.
    It feels like you get a generic reward, instead of actually "going through their stuff for useful ****".
    Feels wrong.

9. The interface is **** I don't even know why, but it annoys me hugely. Probably because back in the day the interface symbolized a backback or inventory or a spellbook or whatever. Now it's literally a list of computer buttons. Just like the loot is not actual loot, but a computer-given reward. Also feels wrong.

With a decent story I could see myself buying this for 10â
  24. Mar 16, 2011
    DA:2 is a fun game. It has some good parts, some bad parts, and some buggy parts -- like any other game-- but overall, a decent enough title. The problem I and many of the other reviewers of this game have is that it does not feel like it was a sequel, but more of an offshoot game. More action, less RPG and story, to be honest. "Dragon Age: Champion's Quest" instead of "Dragon Age 2". ItDA:2 is a fun game. It has some good parts, some bad parts, and some buggy parts -- like any other game-- but overall, a decent enough title. The problem I and many of the other reviewers of this game have is that it does not feel like it was a sequel, but more of an offshoot game. More action, less RPG and story, to be honest. "Dragon Age: Champion's Quest" instead of "Dragon Age 2". It could be saved with much more substantial DLC (nudge nudge, free "we are sorry" DLC couldn't hurt) or expansions, but they will need to regain a lot of ground with their core audience, this reviewer included, in order to do so in my book. Expand
  25. Mar 9, 2011
    This game was a poor attempt at an Rpg even for an action Rpg it's dated graphics and poor gameplay let this title down, when compared to the original dragon age origins it is indeed seen as being an inferior sequel.
  26. Mar 9, 2011
    Bioware has created what could go down as the worst "RPG" ever made. Of course, I have to say RPG in quotations, because all RPG elements have been stripped. It is a "role playing" game I guess, but that role is a very strict one laid down by Bethesda. There are no choices to make now, as has become a Bethesda trademark, and very few dialogue trees. The dialogue now is just a linearBioware has created what could go down as the worst "RPG" ever made. Of course, I have to say RPG in quotations, because all RPG elements have been stripped. It is a "role playing" game I guess, but that role is a very strict one laid down by Bethesda. There are no choices to make now, as has become a Bethesda trademark, and very few dialogue trees. The dialogue now is just a linear rambling between two bored sounding cookie cutter people, and the instead of influencing the conversation, you are only allowed to select whether the character will do the conversation angry, soft, or sarcastic.

Gone is any hint of stategy of depth to combat. The game is a click fest, a poor mans devil may cry, that requires no skill to beat on hard or lower difficulties. On nightmare, a mode they obviously ran out of time on balancing, is just frustratingly impossible, not because it provides a good challenge, but because instead of balancing it, they just added 10000hp to every enemy and said "done".

The graphics represent and huge step back not only from Dragon Age origins, but for the whole generation. This looks like something you'd find on the Playstation 2. The game lacks any art direction, and any sense for colors other than brown.

Dragon Age 2 is not only a huge step back for the series, but a huge step back for video games in general. The dumbing down of the series marks the biggest leap in what has become a trend in video game design. I can only hope that Bioware listens to the fans after this outing and, pun intended, return to their origins as RPG designers in their next outing.
  27. Mar 9, 2011
    Very bad. Sony has terrible sauce with stuff that makes everybody sad, and they cry because they think it's supposed to be good. TL;DR: very very bad, do not
  28. Mar 10, 2011
    i liked the story of dragon age 1 despite the mediocre graphics. what i really dont liked, was the straight forward level design its the same with mass effect which is exactly taken just "dragon age in space"

after playing da1 i really felt like it was roleplaying for dummies. roleplaying for me ist always something like oblivion (or baldurs gate) or fallout (every part of it) different paths a open world linked with decision making and character development with different impacts.

but what are the changes in dragon age 2? they try to make it easier and more simple to meet the casual gamers wishes. are you serious? show me one person who quit dragon age, cause it was too hard and too confusing...

i hope this works out for EA its good that nobody is forced to buy this game. life is too short for another "run of the mill hack and slay" game
  29. Mar 9, 2011
    Perfect for the knucklehead console gamer. Great for mashing buttons and smashing beer cans on your forehead. Console trash at its finest. Wait for the bargain bin or BUY THIS USED if you are thinking of purchasing this game.
  30. Mar 9, 2011
    Game is insanely glitch for the PS3, with freezing occuring every 5-10 minutes. Have been unable to get past the customization screen - and that's if I get lucky and manage to get past the "new game" loading screen from the main menu.

The PC version works fine and is fun, though dumbed down. If this game WORKED I am sure it would get at least a 7 out of 10 from me but the reality is I was shipped a bug-plauged signature edition that is poorly dev'd. A shame.
  31. Mar 9, 2011
    I cannot believe what Bioware did.. they $#!^ on the entire community. This game screams "WE WANT MONEY". This game had little to no effort put into it, it feels like you are playing the role of an inbred retard who needs your help. Yes, your help. You need to help him stop repeatedly punching himself in the face, because he is so damn stupid. The visuals are also terrible, the repeatedI cannot believe what Bioware did.. they $#!^ on the entire community. This game screams "WE WANT MONEY". This game had little to no effort put into it, it feels like you are playing the role of an inbred retard who needs your help. Yes, your help. You need to help him stop repeatedly punching himself in the face, because he is so damn stupid. The visuals are also terrible, the repeated textures and horrible emotions shown on the slapped on character faces remind me of 9/11. Bioware, you should feel ashamed, this is not a game, this is a joke. Expand
  32. Mar 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Terrible decepción. Se ha consolidado el juego en PC. ¿Ha esto ha quedado reducido el legado de Baldur´s gate?
    Graficos desfasados, falta la visión cenital.
    Parche con texturas de casi 1GB tras su venta.
  33. Mar 10, 2011
    Its hard to make a game worse than this nowadays. Any decision-maker who played this and approved it for release has either the wrong job or was under heavy pressure, or maybe he had a moment of silly or was on drugs, or both. Maybe they just wanted to deliberately piss off their user-base and destroy their image, forever.
  34. Mar 12, 2011
    I wrote a detailed review about all the things wrong with the game earlier, and gave it a score of three. This is a revision to balance out the bioware employees and shills giving it 10s.
  35. Mar 14, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 is an incredible game. The story is engaging and the action is very fast-paced. I was a fan of Dragon Age: Origins. I played through that game about 5 times already since it's released. These playthroughs include the Expansion and all the DLC for each playthrough. Suffice to say, I adored Dragon Age: Origins. I feel like Dragon Age 2 expands and improves on everything DragonDragon Age 2 is an incredible game. The story is engaging and the action is very fast-paced. I was a fan of Dragon Age: Origins. I played through that game about 5 times already since it's released. These playthroughs include the Expansion and all the DLC for each playthrough. Suffice to say, I adored Dragon Age: Origins. I feel like Dragon Age 2 expands and improves on everything Dragon Age: Origins did. The story-telling, the graphics, the action, the characters, and the villains. All were improvements on the first game and this time the story is a more personal one as opposed to a sweeping epic like the first one. While there are games coming out in 2011 that I'm expecting to usurp it, at this moment I can say that Dragon Age 2 is my favorite game to date in the 30+ years I've been playing games. Expand
  36. Mar 12, 2011
    This game is Very good but still has a few Flaws that I was hoping Bioware could of fixed,like the story is for the most part was Lacking and the game has a few Glitches and bugs that need to be ironed out but besides that Dragon age 2 is cool.
  37. Mar 11, 2011
    Though I wasn't a major fan of Dragon Age 1, I still enjoyed it and appreciated its much needed return to old-school role-playing. So I thought: hey, let's check out the sequel! While I was skeptic, the demo seemed fun enough so I bought the game. After playing it to the fullest however, I must say the game is just one big slap in the face of BioWare fans. Everything - from characterThough I wasn't a major fan of Dragon Age 1, I still enjoyed it and appreciated its much needed return to old-school role-playing. So I thought: hey, let's check out the sequel! While I was skeptic, the demo seemed fun enough so I bought the game. After playing it to the fullest however, I must say the game is just one big slap in the face of BioWare fans. Everything - from character creation to dialogue to combat - has been dumbed down like there's no tomorrow. The main quest is far-fetched and fails to make the player feel attached, and the side quests are boring and repetitive. When the graphics aren't overdoing it, making the screen look like a fight in an old cartoon, they're doing the opposite, being almost insultingly crappy and bland. And that's just the game itself: the abhorrent amount of day one DLC, that in no way can be attributed to spare time between going gold and release, brings the score down to 0.

With that said, if you don't really care about consistent graphics, an actually engaging story or a combat system that is more than "PRESS BUTTON REPEATEDLY TO WIN", I guess you'll enjoy Dragon Age II, but then you could just as well watch a Michael Bay movie. Feel free to insert your own laugh track here.
  38. Mar 12, 2011
    First part of DA was translated to polish but 2 has only subtitles. Game is insanely glitch for the PS3, with freezing occuring every 10 minutes. Part 2 it's only money machine for EA.
  39. Mar 12, 2011
    Everything is great in this game!!!Meet the Best Rpg for teen years Dragon age 2!!! I love this game!! I complete the game already and i want more play it.i want more adventures,i want more dlc which tell us about Hawke s fate)))dont listen people who give negative review its all flashmob
  40. Mar 12, 2011
    What is going on with these reviews? It's odd- the game is pretty good. Yes, it's different. Yes it has faster paced combat. No it is not too easy for experienced players if they use the correct difficulty settings. It is certainly easier for a wider audience, the kind of people who don't want to spend 30 attempts on one battle, because they have things to do. Why should we few masochistsWhat is going on with these reviews? It's odd- the game is pretty good. Yes, it's different. Yes it has faster paced combat. No it is not too easy for experienced players if they use the correct difficulty settings. It is certainly easier for a wider audience, the kind of people who don't want to spend 30 attempts on one battle, because they have things to do. Why should we few masochists who actually enjoy the tedium of X-Com, Jagged Alliance, or Baldur's Gate, expect the same kind of insanity from people who have relationships and career goals? Sure, it is not tedious for us, but we're special. Let's stop freaking out about the reasonable expectations of the other people in the world, shall we?

Either there are a lot of crazy people who are obsessed with Dragon Age, and have nothing better to do than be enraged about a few compromises that were made for the sake of sharing some of the greatness of "hardcore" games with the rest of the culture, or all this negativity is some sort of cheap marketing ruse from a competing company. The latter idea is a bit conspiracy theorist, but I really don't want to believe that the video gaming community is really this goofy. But perhaps it is. There was that embarrassing Roger Ebert situation, when thousands of illiterate video gamers flooded his blog to type Caps Locked obscenities at the poor guy for making an argument based on his personal, and reasonably misinformed, opinion.

I'm not much for writing anything publicly on this wilderness we call the internet, but I do occasionally feel obligated to stand up for things that are bullied by the disturbed masses. So here's my defense for anyone considering buying this game:

Dragon Age 2 actually is a good game, with some really striking art design, charming characters, good writing, and an interestingly slow, yet engaging pace. "Slow, yet engaging" is certainly a complex combination of elements for story pacing, and not surprisingly it seems to fly over many gamers' heads. The Hawke character is much different than I expected; I was expecting more of a tough guy a la Shepard, but the charming British guy with a sense of humor is starting to grow on me. And I will admit the dialog wheel feels a little more clumsy than in Mass Effect.

But my gripes are minor ones, as they should be for most other people writing reviews here, who seem to be ignoring everything other than the changes for which they have such a narrow vision.

In short, if you are not crazy, you will enjoy it. It's not mind-blowing, it's warm and inviting, enveloping, and an interesting view into the Dragon Age world from a different perspective.
  41. Mar 13, 2011
    This game make me fill insulted by the game creators. They dont respect players. They think that players is dumb and would buy only super simple things. And WE are not... anymore. STOP ruining games. Stop make **** only for money. I felt terrible when i played this game... i would rate this -100 if i can. If this is the way games would be... than its over for me. Shame to BW and EA
  42. Mar 15, 2011
    I was very disapointed with this game, while it was touted at the next big thing, it plays like a single origin story from the first game. Held on it's own the game is fun enough, but compaired to DA:O it is a sore reminder what might have been, I LOVED the first game and have the Platinium Trophy easily putting in 100+ hours, I have had DA2 for all of 5 days and I am considering tradingI was very disapointed with this game, while it was touted at the next big thing, it plays like a single origin story from the first game. Held on it's own the game is fun enough, but compaired to DA:O it is a sore reminder what might have been, I LOVED the first game and have the Platinium Trophy easily putting in 100+ hours, I have had DA2 for all of 5 days and I am considering trading it in to get my money back. a big disappointment. Expand
  43. Mar 18, 2011
    10.0

Simply the best RPG of the last 10 years, together with Dragon Age Origins.

Incredible plot
    Incredible OST
    Incredible gameplay
    Incredible storytelling

Bioware learns how to create games, as always.

10.0
  44. Mar 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sin duda alguna, una entrega muy inferior en relación a Origins, con muchos puntos flojos.
    Su único punto fuerte es que los combates contra bosses siguen teniendo "algo de estrategia", y otras pequeñas cosas sin mucha importancia. Esta entrega ha sido especialmente enfocada a todos los públicos, dejando de banda a los fieles seguidores del rol. Personajes poco complejos, historia confusa, simplificaciones... un despropósito en si.
    BioWare solo tenía mejorar un poco Origins para hacer un gran juego.
  45. Mar 15, 2011
    This hyped up **** is a betrayal towards the fans. BioWare has indeed sold their soul to EA and left their roots to rotten. It's basically a dumbed down version of DA:O with poor story, poor combat, poor depths and absolutely zero replayability. The graphic and sounds are only mediocre as well and the animations + gore is just way to much.
    On top of this the game is rushed! If BioWare have
    On top of this the game is rushed! If BioWare have had time to fix some aspects they could avoided some of the slaughter. Don't waste your money on this as I did. I will NEVER preorder from BioWare/EA again.
  46. Mar 13, 2011
  47. Mar 14, 2011
    Wow whats with the ratings below, an anti-bioware fan club on the prowl? lame. DA2 may not be DA1 but the Art direction is much improved, ldetails have more clarity, scenic views are more darmatic and colorful. Combat looksgreat with spells lighting up the screen, you may have to up the difficulty more than normal to up the challenge.
  48. Mar 14, 2011
    In a strict game play sense Dragon age 2 far surpasses Dragon age : Origins as being faster paced and less clunky. The game is much cleaner and more visually striking than the first, also the protagonist not being silent does a lot to make conversations flow. The story is downright boring however and so far (20 hours in) hasn't gotten me excited one bit.
  49. Mar 15, 2011
    Is DA2 a bad game? No.
    Is DA2 a bad game by Bioware standards? Definitely.
    Is DA2 a bad game? No.
    Is DA2 a bad game by Bioware standards? Definitely.

Currently Bioware seems to become a true EA Games drone, by wanting to release a game every year at the cost of quality. It is mostly the Bioware fans that are seriously pissed off at them, and are giving all the bad scores. People who don't care much about RPG's but much rather prefer action-oriented games like Call of Duty are the ones giving the high scores.

Lets focus on the good parts first. The combat *looks* great, the companions are interesting, the graphics are pretty decent, the lore is still awesome to read, and the story while less epic than in DA:O, is still written very well. By industry standards, this is a very decent game.

Sadly, there are also bad parts I need to mention. Like previously mentioned, the combat *looks* great, but when looking deeper at it, you'll notice it's actually pretty bland. Almost each encounter has waves of enemies (kill first group, 2nd group spawns, etc), and while interesting at first, it's overused.
    Speaking of overusing, if you have seen one cave / villa / sewer, you've seen them all. This is the biggest evidence of Bioware focussing on quantity over quality. They don't even give you a different minimap, certain passages are just blocked off.
    They've also reduced a lot of customization, with the excuse of 'streamlining' it. You can't even change your companions' outfit. But here's a newsflash Bioware: RPG fans LOVE customization. Sure, our companions may not always look great then, but this makes upgrading their outfits to more powerful ones even more satisfying.
    The biggest part of the quests you'll do are simple find and drop off quests, without even specific dialogue. You won't feel much of a connection to anyone or anything but some of your companions. Dialogue shouldn't feel like a bother, hence you should have the ability to skip it. But a total lack of it only makes us feel less involved. This goes so far that you don't even buy wares from merchants themselves, but from boxes next to them. BANG, and the immersion's gone.

In conclusion: DA2 isn't bad, hell it's sometimes pretty good even. For the industry standard. But it's far, far away from the Bioware standard.
  50. Mar 18, 2011
    It's rather unfortunate how this game turned out. The combat is no longer tactical, it simply requires you to hit your abilities as the cooldowns refresh. The story is bland, and makes it difficult to press on, nothing "hooks" you. If this game had been released as a stand-alone title not under the Dragon Age name, it wouldn't have been nearly as disappointing. Also, 27 different DLC's atIt's rather unfortunate how this game turned out. The combat is no longer tactical, it simply requires you to hit your abilities as the cooldowns refresh. The story is bland, and makes it difficult to press on, nothing "hooks" you. If this game had been released as a stand-alone title not under the Dragon Age name, it wouldn't have been nearly as disappointing. Also, 27 different DLC's at launch is rather excessive and a terrible trend to follow. I'm all for DLC, but I want game expansion that couldn't have been included on the disc. Expand
  51. Mar 18, 2011
    i cant believe what bio did with this game. they take the name of a good rpg and put it on a hack and slash dungeon crawler for consoles. the name of the game reminds of dragon age origins and the theme. nothing else. everything is made with consoles in mind. i don't want to destroy my keyboard and mouse after all. graphics are a joke and the hi res texture pack for pc is nonsense. manyi cant believe what bio did with this game. they take the name of a good rpg and put it on a hack and slash dungeon crawler for consoles. the name of the game reminds of dragon age origins and the theme. nothing else. everything is made with consoles in mind. i don't want to destroy my keyboard and mouse after all. graphics are a joke and the hi res texture pack for pc is nonsense. many say that a good rpg doesn't need good visuals but no one plays text based adventures anymore. we live in 2011.
    the only good thing about the game is that with its lunch dao ultimate edition sells for 18 euros for pc.
  52. Apr 2, 2011
    I'd imagine that the main reason that people are paying to play this is because its main character on the poster looks like Gordon Freeman.

The game looked very promising- but this was anything but fun. The fact that this game was allowed to advance past the "script writing" stage is beyond me.
  53. Mar 16, 2011
    i got this and i sorta liked it. the talking is cool because every dicision you make matters. but the characters you talk to suck and aren't fun or important to talk to. so it feels empty with the bad AI. the button masher i actually like but i like rpg style better. the graphics are fairly good. but the blood is overdone. the adventure is gone and is replaced by combat :(!!! i like thei got this and i sorta liked it. the talking is cool because every dicision you make matters. but the characters you talk to suck and aren't fun or important to talk to. so it feels empty with the bad AI. the button masher i actually like but i like rpg style better. the graphics are fairly good. but the blood is overdone. the adventure is gone and is replaced by combat :(!!! i like the new map but it isn't enough because you go to the same places over and over! i feel a little betrayed becuase the first one was so good. there is nothing new about this game either most thing are just a polished version of the first one and it lacks in so many other areas that polish dont do **** it is fun but disapointing. just like so many great series they go out with a bad half assed games like jak lost frontier. it's fun but just doesn't cut it. do i sugest buying... not really until the price drops. Expand
  54. Apr 5, 2011
    I wrote a review for the 360 version (wasn't paying attention when I did it) but I have the PS3 version. May as well post my thoughts here. I won't give this game a ridiculous rating of 0, but I'm not going to artificially inflate the score either with a completely undeserving 9 or 10 in some nerd rage fueled attempt at "justice". The game falls short of many expectations, and it shouldI wrote a review for the 360 version (wasn't paying attention when I did it) but I have the PS3 version. May as well post my thoughts here. I won't give this game a ridiculous rating of 0, but I'm not going to artificially inflate the score either with a completely undeserving 9 or 10 in some nerd rage fueled attempt at "justice". The game falls short of many expectations, and it should being as people DID have expectations. Let's not forget this was a sequel folks. To think many people didn't expect DA:O with a new story and gameplay improvements is pretty naive. When people loved Mario Kart, Nintendo didn't turn around for the sequel and remove half the weapons, turn it into a strategy game and focus on just Mario driving around his house (see what I did there?) they built on the strengths and offered more of what the FANS loved. I'm not gonna say this game is horrible, but after playing through it once and starting 2 more characters just to pick up some remaining trophies, I can say it's boring. The feeling of boredom started less than halfway through my initial playthrough and hasn't stopped. The same boring flood of enemies pour in from every nook and cranny or just poof into existance every battle. The same environments are rehashed nonstop and in a completely ridiculous manner, like the Bone Pit mines where one minute there a stone door blocking access (completely unexplained) and when it's time for the "story" it's suddenly open, but then shut again once you're beyond that point in the game. The "quests" are ridiculous as well. I'm sorry, but it's not a quest if I find someones perfume bottle in a barrel in lowtown and they throw a sovereign at me when I randomly talk to them, that's called lazy programming. I don't want to hear anything about time constraints either. Bioware are adults and their time limit isn't part of some self help "attain that goal by 'x' date", it's part of a cash in attempt on success of a former game. Kill, rinse, repeat, same map, rinse repeat, pointless item for a sovereign and some xp, rinse repeat. That sums up DA2. Stripping down character interactions and relationship building was stupid as well. The instances where you actually get to interact are extremely limited. Also, just as in DA:O half the time I chose one path in the dialogue, the outcome and resulting companion reaction made no sense. Lastly, the decision to take away my freedom of gearing my companions was stupid. I haven't spoken to anyone nor read any reviews where anyone was happy with that design choice. Bioware can b.s. and say it was because they wanted to companions to retain a personal look, but at the end of the day, you make the game for your fans, not yourselves and we hated the restriction. Actually to add one more gripe, I'm pretty sure the stats mean absolutely nothing. Bumping my stats didn't seem to have any affect whatsoever, but that's possibly because of the poor design choice to have the gear "degrade" as you level or the fact that the enemies grow stronger with you. No matter how you slice it, there were a ridiculous amount of bad decisions made when developing this game. The only positives are the excellent casting of the voices and the somewhat improved combat, although mashing the x button repeatedly is pretty damn tedious. There is some decent game here, but all in all this was a huge disappointment. Expand
  55. Mar 12, 2011
    Choices, story and dialogue sacrificed for sound, voice acting and cinematics...shame. The developers forgot that storytelling is best told in written form. They destroyed the classic RPG silent protagonist where you had to use your own imagination as the character's voice, and replaced it with limited icons and Mass Effect imitation.
  56. Mar 17, 2011
    I don't really know where to go with this because problem is I truly enjoyed the first game to the point where I bought DLC for the first time! DA:O was such a great game with amazing customization and unique characters and storytelling, and that's what really solidified the game as a fan favorite. The storytelling and unique in depth characters. sad to say this is exactly what DA2 wasI don't really know where to go with this because problem is I truly enjoyed the first game to the point where I bought DLC for the first time! DA:O was such a great game with amazing customization and unique characters and storytelling, and that's what really solidified the game as a fan favorite. The storytelling and unique in depth characters. sad to say this is exactly what DA2 was lacking in. The game play I will admit was just an amazing improvement in DA2 for console gaming and it made the player really get into the combat, making the new combat this games one saving feature. That's the good. . . .yeah I know its not much but please take me seriously, I also think a rating of six is a little harsh but I cant put down 6.5 or something (the site wants full numbers) the game really wasn't all bad its simply that DA2 has one good step forward as a sequel from the original, but too many steps back. I'll start off slow with the little things, to begin the graphics in this game where honestly just bad in comparison to the first and in comparison to many other games with similar art styles, don't ask why but for some reason "Tension the Void" comes to mind. I understand that this new environment is supposed to give you a certain feeling of solitude and just an overall suffocating feel like the many mage inhabitants of Kirkwall (The city where the whole game takes place) feel; but there's no detail in this game it all just looks so bland and well . . . brown. You can notice this lack of detail everywhere in the game! Also the new character designs are not all bad aside from the Elves which where ruined in my opinion (on a different note the Quinari now look amazing!) and the lack of female Dwarves in this game. Moving on I'll begin going over some of the sounds, voices, and music in this game. Now not too many complaints for the sounds in this game because honestly the only negative thing I can quickly think of is the sound of buzzing flies. That sound is literally everywhere! I heard it in the dirty and clean parts of the city and the flies also followed me down to the coasts! But you learn to ignore it when you become more focused with the game play. Now music nothing really wrong here except the load title music I found to be really boring and overall just bad. Voices here we go! this was another step back please take more consideration into the main characters voice actor! the Male Hawk's voice just seems so forced! Only the male though Keep your female voice actress because she did an amazing job! also what happened to the elves!? there voices honestly just pierce my ears and ruin the illusion in this setting. It ruined Merril and I just couldn't take the other Elven character Fenris seriously cause his voice was just so terrible and forced. It was honestly a traumatizing experience seeing my favorite race being reduced to rip offs of the Navi from "Avatar" gone Irish. Now lets go a bit into character customizing and in game options which again, was serious unfortunate step back. One of the things DA:O executed almost perfectly was Character customization which was simply incredible you could choose you characters sex, race, and background which you actually got to participate in! It was amazing! Sadly all that is gone IN DA2 you get a human and only get to choose class and sex and some limited facial customization so its just not all there. At the very least they could have imported the facial building program from Origins. As for in game options my only two complaints here are the fact that your companions cant equip any different or unique armors but can only upgrade their own! instantly making about 60% of in game armor and weapons useless (except u can use it to sell and make some extra coin in game) seeing as your character can only equip armor and weapons limited to his class! (you could change his attributes using the DLC and an item to reset your attributes so you could wear the armor but that kind of defeats the purpose of class specialization) Finally I want to go into what ultimately made me be so stern with this game. I'll give the game points because the overall story was good it kept me interested and playing through it entirety but its the decisions in game which truly disappoint. IN DA:O your character could be more evil and malicious than The Blight itself! Or a true kind soul and inspiring hero! and it would all affect the outcome of the game giving many different outcomes and ends. In DA2 your characters decisions and actions only truly affect what your companions think of you and slightly twitch the story here and there. And sometimes your actions and words don't do anything at all, it just moves the story forward. Also passing you old save file does hardly anything. Its sad but the one thing DA2 did right, was it made me appreciate DA:O. But still this game makes for a solid good rental. Expand
  57. Apr 19, 2011
    I enjoyed how fast the action seemed to be in this game - it was a massive improvement as a person who frequently plays a two-handed warrior. I really enjoyed the new Elf and Qunari designs - because no longer did the Qunari look like muscular tanned guys with white hair. But that was almost ALL I enjoyed. I still can't buy the change in Anders' character, and a lot of the story justI enjoyed how fast the action seemed to be in this game - it was a massive improvement as a person who frequently plays a two-handed warrior. I really enjoyed the new Elf and Qunari designs - because no longer did the Qunari look like muscular tanned guys with white hair. But that was almost ALL I enjoyed. I still can't buy the change in Anders' character, and a lot of the story just seemed silly. The dialog just got stupid at times. It's an alright game, but I'd definitely recommend to anyone to wait till it is 30 dollars or less. Especially since there are only a handful of unique maps, which are just recycled over and over. By the time you're at Act II, it becomes painfully apparent. With a lot of the negative out of the way (which basically comes down to bad writing), I really did like some of the party dialog. Expand
  58. Oct 12, 2011
    The re-use of the same maps over and over was a disgrace, but the gameplay, combat, and story was engaging. While the story was weaker than the DA:O, it was still interesting and drove me to play the game to the end, not to mention the obvious lead in to DA3 which I am excited about because of this game. This game is very much worth a used purchase ($20 or less) or a rental. However, ifThe re-use of the same maps over and over was a disgrace, but the gameplay, combat, and story was engaging. While the story was weaker than the DA:O, it was still interesting and drove me to play the game to the end, not to mention the obvious lead in to DA3 which I am excited about because of this game. This game is very much worth a used purchase ($20 or less) or a rental. However, if DA3 does not provide actual level design, I will throw this series away. Expand
  59. Nov 8, 2011
    A colossal let down. Dragon Age: Origins was a lot of fun and really captured the brilliance of KOTOR in it's own way (the two are quite similar but not so much so that it's a rip off or something). The characters in DA2 are just bland and, usually, unlikeable. The quests make you wonder why you're even doing anything, I understand the story, why the characters are there, but the questsA colossal let down. Dragon Age: Origins was a lot of fun and really captured the brilliance of KOTOR in it's own way (the two are quite similar but not so much so that it's a rip off or something). The characters in DA2 are just bland and, usually, unlikeable. The quests make you wonder why you're even doing anything, I understand the story, why the characters are there, but the quests pile on so much that you're running so much at a time that it just becomes banal questing. Just a really poor quality sequel. Expand
  60. May 24, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 is an R.P.G because: It's [R] = Recycled, has [P] = Poor graphics, and story-wise is a [G] = Gasbag. You can make Neverwinter Nights once, twice but the fifth time is just BORING.

So it has voice-acting. And that sums it up. What is the your [R] Role ?, what about the [P] Play ?, how about the [G] Gaming feeling ? Everything is overly-scripted, and your choices are like a few options to say towards the same outcome.

So it's like 40 hours long. But those are boring hours. Fighting never got beyond the turn-based phase. It is not suppose to be like a J-RPG where everyone is some kind of girl waiting for the next combo while you read a block of text with the story...

So it's mature because it has blood. Not because the story is mature, not because the caracters are mature. There are romantic quests... yes while trying to keep the below mature rating, even kids will be bored.
  61. Jan 14, 2012
    Dragon Age 2 is more than just rushed. It is openly contemptuous of the player. It's lazy. It's sexist. It's written by a team whose idea of high literature is a selection of "for teens" Buffy novels. There's nothing here of merit. The combat is completely bereft of anything resembling depth, and the endless waves of reinforcements that spawn from nowhere serve only to remind you howDragon Age 2 is more than just rushed. It is openly contemptuous of the player. It's lazy. It's sexist. It's written by a team whose idea of high literature is a selection of "for teens" Buffy novels. There's nothing here of merit. The combat is completely bereft of anything resembling depth, and the endless waves of reinforcements that spawn from nowhere serve only to remind you how little the developers think of you and what they believe it takes to keep you entertained. The story railroads the player and renders all their decisions irrelevant, without actually achieving anything while doing so, as most linear games will at least attempt to do. Don't trust the sycophantic paid-for reviews: Dragon Age 2 is not worth your time or your money. Expand
  62. Dec 28, 2011
    Horrible betrayal of their fans and just plain stupid business decision. This games adds nothing new of note and changes much of what was loved by fans. Without a story to propel you through the dungeons, there is no reason to be excited by the game play.
  63. Sep 7, 2013
    This game had potential to be much better than it was. There is a series of problems within the game, one of them being you can't continue playing once you've played the story to completion, a story where the ending doesn't make sense and repetitive combat which gets boring after the tenth fight you've had. The disappointing of dragons in the game and the lack of customization of yourThis game had potential to be much better than it was. There is a series of problems within the game, one of them being you can't continue playing once you've played the story to completion, a story where the ending doesn't make sense and repetitive combat which gets boring after the tenth fight you've had. The disappointing of dragons in the game and the lack of customization of your party. The game has no memorable moments and has no replay ability, the environment feels stale and lacking. There's no open world movement if you want to travel its just another loading screen, quests were difficult to find and when you completed one there was no sense of accomplishment. Overall this game is shallow and dull with an uninteresting story and could hardly be called a role-playing game as it was more similar to a hack n slash games. Expand
  64. Nov 24, 2014
    Oh no! You'd have to pay me to play this game again! This is what I'm supposed to review next, to deem whither it's buy-able or should be destroyed. Well I say **** the review! My experience was so bad that I don't need to relieve these nightmarish memories. So instead of a review: you're all going to get an angry rant! **** this game!

Right off the bat, it breaks it's Dragon Age

Right off the bat, it breaks it's Dragon Age formula by cloning Mass Effect's conversation wheel into the game, and revealing the results of your options through icons. It even displays what the icons are in the official manual of Dragon Age II; leaving no mystery or excitement through any of the conversation options you pick. But it get's worse.. the torture continues to grow when you learned that even a monkey with brain damage could complete the game. All you have to do is mash a button, and you win! That's it! There's no strategy or tactics for survival. There's no fear in combat when you go against a giant ogre! What's the point of having a tactics menu when you don't need to implore them? Scratch that -- What's the point of this game???

Let's see what else went wrong here...
    - You're in the same ******* city the entire game!
    - There is no exploration! You see this big island, and you wanna go look around, but you only get to visit a few of the areas! And the areas given to you are small, and often blocked off with invisible walls!! What's worse is you visit the same locations 5 or 6 times the entire game, sometimes 10! And that's not even the dungeons...
    - Many dungeons in this game are a copy/paste. You visit the same areas the entire game, and Bioware has the nerve to give each dungeon a separate name.
    - Hawke is constantly babysitting their family, their friends, and catering to people they've only known for 10 seconds! You will feel less & less involved in the story as it progresses, and almost all characters have no personality and are otherwise boring!
    - The graphics have gotten worse!
    - The soundtrack has no memorable tunes!
    - The weapon & armor customization is teasing you! You can design your own attire, but can't design the rest of your party's attire.
    - Romance serves no purpose in this game.
    - The voice cast sucks!
    - The entire game is one big chore to play!
    - Importing has little impact from the decisions you made from the previous game.
    - Story battles that are supposed to be epic are hyped in the wrong proportion.

I hate this game! And I wish Bioware never published it! They really messed it up this time! And I have no idea what else to say without revealing spoilers. -Sigh- Does it do anything right? Hardly! All they did was make it playable for everyone, which also is a fault in itself. The entire game just feels rushed because of a deadline. You'll feel like it should be so much more, but it's just going to crash your dreams. This game should just be avoided entirely, or used as a future example for gaming companies on what you should not do in an rpg game. The positives in this game are over-encumbered by the negatives, and it's just not worth it. I won't waste any more time with this flopped game. Buy it if you want, but I guarantee it's going to sour your experience.
  65. Jun 15, 2015
    This is one of the worst games I've played. Repeated dungeons/landscapes that made me question whether I'd already played the quest before, cliche characters, a story arc containing you to a predetermined outcome, weak, Twlight-ish dialogue that sounds like it's straight from Creative writing Beginners class, and you can't even customize characters' armour, other than for Hawke. I stoppedThis is one of the worst games I've played. Repeated dungeons/landscapes that made me question whether I'd already played the quest before, cliche characters, a story arc containing you to a predetermined outcome, weak, Twlight-ish dialogue that sounds like it's straight from Creative writing Beginners class, and you can't even customize characters' armour, other than for Hawke. I stopped half way and uninstalled it. Dragon Age Origins is superior in every way. Expand
  66. Mar 10, 2011
    Another sequel that didn't quite live up to the original. Dragon Age 2 doesn't really improve anything from the first as many have said but it's still pretty fun. I actually rented the first Dragon Age and I liked it so much that I had to go out and buy it just because I knew I could put hours end into it as I did had the same situation came out for Dragon Age 2 I probably would not haveAnother sequel that didn't quite live up to the original. Dragon Age 2 doesn't really improve anything from the first as many have said but it's still pretty fun. I actually rented the first Dragon Age and I liked it so much that I had to go out and buy it just because I knew I could put hours end into it as I did had the same situation came out for Dragon Age 2 I probably would not have gone out and bought it. Combat I don't mind it is pretty much the same except instead of being lazy you now have to mash the attack and throw in a few skills. Graphics are pretty much the same nothing better or worse. Voice acting is just as well as every other bioware game. I would have liked to see the story told differently. I find the whole scenario of a whole other person telling the story of a hero a complete turn off. I was definitely disappointed by that because in this way the story is not told well in Dragon Age 2. The one positive thing I could put is the hero rising through the ranks from living as a peasant to becoming a noble I think that idea was a good base, unfortunately it was clouded by bad ideas. Only having one major city is a let down as well. The areas and dungeons are mostly recycled so it gets kind of bland after a while. The big question is does this game live up to Dragon Age 1? Not really, it doesn't. By itself it is still an enjoyable 7. Expand
  67. Mar 24, 2011
    Is it a weak RPG game? Is it a weak action game? It's both!! Bioware took a great game like Dragon Age and made it into an average game with it's sequel. The lackluster artwork is a step back to two dimensional caricature, the combat is a button mashing experience for more than half the game until you level up, and frankly they're are much better action games out there withoutIs it a weak RPG game? Is it a weak action game? It's both!! Bioware took a great game like Dragon Age and made it into an average game with it's sequel. The lackluster artwork is a step back to two dimensional caricature, the combat is a button mashing experience for more than half the game until you level up, and frankly they're are much better action games out there without continously pushing one button (ACreed!), you can only talk to your compains when it's time to do their quests, and the disjointed stories that add up to nothing more than just a bunch of dlc wrap around in a forgettable flashback narrative. The game is full of bugs and the importing of your Origin game doesn't work, so I'm going to have to wait for months until Bioware patches this? I can't believe I got burned by pre-ording a Bioware game. This game has Highlander II all over it. Expand
  68. Mar 12, 2011
    I really enjoyed the first dragon age game. It was one of my favorite game of all time. But I did not enjoy this second installment. The history is bland, the role-playing elements has been dumbed down. You cannot pick your race, talk to your companions during missions. The dialogs are boring and the characters forgettable. A note to Bioware: graphics and combat are not the onlyI really enjoyed the first dragon age game. It was one of my favorite game of all time. But I did not enjoy this second installment. The history is bland, the role-playing elements has been dumbed down. You cannot pick your race, talk to your companions during missions. The dialogs are boring and the characters forgettable. A note to Bioware: graphics and combat are not the only things that I enjoy in a game! Expand
  69. Mar 11, 2011
    The first game was a true work of art. But ... this game is a real **** I could not play more than 2 hours, is the worst game I've played a long time.
  70. Mar 11, 2011
    I loved the original game and I have thoroughly enjoyed this one as well. That being said, I think DA2 falls short in a lot of ways. Many of the RPG aspects I enjoyed about the first game have been inexplicably dumbed down for seemingly no reason. The storyline is also not nearly as epic or involving. Still, the game is very fun and I have had a blast playing it. I would have given theI loved the original game and I have thoroughly enjoyed this one as well. That being said, I think DA2 falls short in a lot of ways. Many of the RPG aspects I enjoyed about the first game have been inexplicably dumbed down for seemingly no reason. The storyline is also not nearly as epic or involving. Still, the game is very fun and I have had a blast playing it. I would have given the first game a 10, but this one I will only give an 8.

My main purpose for creating a metacritic account and writing a review of this game is to offset the horde of obvious Bioware-haters who are obviously trying to trash this game. No fair and un-biased review of this game would give it a rating of 0-4, yet the majority of reviewers here have done so? And nearly all of those are brand new accounts. Something is fishy...
  71. Mar 11, 2011
    If you play more than 6-8 hours it is good, if you play more than 12-15 hours it is really good, and if you play 35-40 hours are you finished :( Its a nice game, down play the demo and say it sucks ore play 2 hours and say it sucks...after a while it gets really exciting and tactical more than DA:O.
    PS: I not kidding you i have played each RPG the last 20 years, Dragon age 2 is good!
  72. Mar 17, 2011
    now im a little confused as to whats going on here. for one there is a bunch of idiots on here rating this game over and over with zero's..for one there is no such thing as a game that can rightfully be rated a zero, so if you rated a zero you are a moron, just saying. my next issue is that so many people complained about dragon age origins? and now that bioware did what you wanted yournow im a little confused as to whats going on here. for one there is a bunch of idiots on here rating this game over and over with zero's..for one there is no such thing as a game that can rightfully be rated a zero, so if you rated a zero you are a moron, just saying. my next issue is that so many people complained about dragon age origins? and now that bioware did what you wanted your against them? if you have a problem with a company who does things for the consumer....then your either a troll, or someone who should quit playing video games. now for the review! this is a fantastic game, based on the story of Hawke. hawke is said to be the single most important character in the dragon age lore, and you get to play his story and live his struggles and triumphs. the story is really good and the combat is excellent, the combat is super smooth and very satisfying. most of the characters are really good. there was one that i hated but that just added to my enjoyment of the game. its not as long as origins, and its not on as grand of a scale as origins either, which is a shame cause i was really looking forward to exploring orlaise and some other places. the only thing i didnt like was the recycled dungeons and side quest maps, but these are small complaints for such a vastly improved game. i cant wait for some more dlc and some expansions. i look forward to what bioware will bring me next in the dragon age saga Expand
  73. Mar 14, 2011
    Don't trust the spam-reviews, this game is solid.Bioware really improved DA:O to make one of the best RPG with a story that builds well and good character development if you get past the first 5 hours. Contrary to the apparent bulk of reviewers, you cannot beat the game in 10 hours even if you rush the main quest. I took the day off of work yesterday and played for 21 hours and haven'tDon't trust the spam-reviews, this game is solid.Bioware really improved DA:O to make one of the best RPG with a story that builds well and good character development if you get past the first 5 hours. Contrary to the apparent bulk of reviewers, you cannot beat the game in 10 hours even if you rush the main quest. I took the day off of work yesterday and played for 21 hours and haven't even gotten past the initial town. Dragon age 2 is definitly one of the best rpg of this year and a MUST HAVE. i recommend this game to anyone and v can't do anything about it. Expand
  74. Mar 15, 2011
    I am utterly enamored by this game. While I have a tremendous amount to love for Origins, DA2 improves on the formula by reining in on much of the wasted ambition of the original. Gone is the cliched save the world plot that we see in every fantasy RPG, replaced with a more intimate exploration of a city and it's inhabitants. Gone is the sterile and lifeless combat of Origins, instead weI am utterly enamored by this game. While I have a tremendous amount to love for Origins, DA2 improves on the formula by reining in on much of the wasted ambition of the original. Gone is the cliched save the world plot that we see in every fantasy RPG, replaced with a more intimate exploration of a city and it's inhabitants. Gone is the sterile and lifeless combat of Origins, instead we get a fast paced, highly strategic, endlessly fun re-invigoration. Exploring the cross class combos was one the most satisfying game experiences I've had this year. Also, for all streamlining and simplification people are complaining about, all it's really done is cut down on time wasted. Yes, DA2 is a shorter game than Origins, because you're not wasting half your time in menus with tasks that are better off automated. Tie that in with a colorful and memorable cast of characters, actually difficult choices, jokes that are legitimately funny, and a complex involving plot, you're looking at a fantastic game. I ran into a few bugs, two that prevented me from completing quests, but I can only assume these will be patched out sooner or later. I'd give it a 9, but hopefully a 10 will better balance out the damage the haters have caused. Expand
  75. Mar 16, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 would be one of the best rpg games of all time if it wasn't for its story-line. i wouldn't call it a weak story-line, its just doesn't have anywhere the appeal the original did. origins gripped you from the very beginning with Duncan's speach about the blight. i'll start with the improvements from origins, the fighting is massively improved, i loved origins fighting but it wasDragon Age 2 would be one of the best rpg games of all time if it wasn't for its story-line. i wouldn't call it a weak story-line, its just doesn't have anywhere the appeal the original did. origins gripped you from the very beginning with Duncan's speach about the blight. i'll start with the improvements from origins, the fighting is massively improved, i loved origins fighting but it was way to slow, the rouge class has been vastly improved, i only had a rouge in the party in origins to open locks, but now my hawke is a rouge, its great fun, i also like the fact that if your a ranged fighter and an enemy gets into close range you can the use your weapon to do close range damage as well, like e.g with the mage they'll attack with they're staff or with an archer with an arrow, which is a nice touch, but it also makes sense, unlike in origins if an enemy is at point blank rage and your an archer you'd still try and fire arrows at the enemy. The graphics are better than the origins, the dialogue wheel is better, though from other review i've read regarding this game some people aren't fussed on it, i like the fact that i choose what i'm going to say (which is obviously in origins) but it also tells me how i'm going to be saying it, which i think is a good addition, i like the fact they've overhauled the race designs, i think the kunari look a lot better in this game, as apposed to just being slightly bigger humans, i prefer the crafting element to the original, i would agree with alot of others who say it's been simplified, but i like the fact the you find sources of different ingredients as apposed to having to find individual ingredients which would irritate me in origins,
    the problem with the game is the fact the storyline just isn;t as gripping as origins. Its also seems lazy how the reuse the same maps over and over again. The game just seems to be a watered down version of origins (fighting system not included with that last statement) and i know i've mention alot more pluses than i have minors, mainly because overall i would still say its a good enjoyable game, but the downfalls are big ones, the story is the most important part of an rpg.
    in conclusion the game is an enjoyable one, but seems rushed.
  76. Mar 9, 2011
    I am extremely disappointed by Dragon Age 2 as a RPG game style, but if you can cast away the nostalgia of Baldur's gate, you'll find a good game nevertheless. Too bad this series have to continue like that, since the previous system was so much better... Why did they want to butcher the combat system like that ? They should have tried to improve it, not drastically change it ! On hardI am extremely disappointed by Dragon Age 2 as a RPG game style, but if you can cast away the nostalgia of Baldur's gate, you'll find a good game nevertheless. Too bad this series have to continue like that, since the previous system was so much better... Why did they want to butcher the combat system like that ? They should have tried to improve it, not drastically change it ! On hard difficulty, it feels like a hack'n slash ! But sadly, this is how developers tend to do their games... And sadly, it works beautifully. I won't say this game is stupidly bad, it's not. It's a good game, but far from being a real sequel to one of the best RPG of these last years, The Witcher included. I guess we'll have to wait for The Witcher 2. Expand
  77. Mar 14, 2011
    Don't believe the haters...this game is a lot of fun. It hasn't revolutioned the industry, and no, it's not the same as DA:Origins. Much like the differences between Mass Effect and ME2, Dragon Age II has decided to simplify things to attract a wider audience. Consider me attracted. I understand why some players might miss the need for pause and assign gameplay, but I do not. I highlyDon't believe the haters...this game is a lot of fun. It hasn't revolutioned the industry, and no, it's not the same as DA:Origins. Much like the differences between Mass Effect and ME2, Dragon Age II has decided to simplify things to attract a wider audience. Consider me attracted. I understand why some players might miss the need for pause and assign gameplay, but I do not. I highly recommend this game. Expand
  78. Mar 12, 2011
    This game in crap. No exploration, tons of bugs, tons of more bugs, awful difficulty calibration, crappy graphics. They made this game in few months just because EA command it!
    It's turned to a great rpg to a casual action rpg.
  79. Mar 12, 2011
    Wow... People here are overreacting. Does the game play slightly different than Origins: yes. Is the game an abysmal failure worthy of a 0 rating, absolutely not.

First, I just say that I loved origins. I played all of the great old school RPG: entire baldurs gate series, Icewind, Planescape, Fallout 1 and 2, etc. Loved all of them. Also loved origins for brining back the feel of the old infinity engine days.

The biggest difference that I experienced in Dragon Age 2 was a slight decrease in difficulty level. Normal played like easy hard played like normal, etc. Crank the difficulty up a notch from where you were at in Origins and you get a very similar tactical experience. Positioning is still key, when and where you target abilities is still key, etc. Second difference is that even on hard there is no friendly fire. Need to crank it up to nightmare to get that. Now I will admit that this does drain a little of the tactics away. You can now throw a fireball into a group without really worrying about it. I wish Bioware had included friendly fire as a separate option outside difficulty level. I don't want to have to wade through the ridiculously buffed enemies in nightmare, but wish hard and normal had friendly fire. So this is a complaint but a very minor one. Another difference is that the combat is faster paced, not necessarily bad, just different. On the positive side. Combat is not much more responsive. Its now meaningful to move your characters out of harms way if you see an enemy charging up an attack. All of this adds up to a tactical experience that is different from Origins, but perfectly acceptable. Is it fun, absolutely.

Graphics. Some people have said the graphics are worse than Origins. These people are either blind or need to go back and play origins again. The graphics are much, much better. I'm playing on a lower end machine, so can't speak for the top of the line rigs, but on mine DAII looks gorgeous compared to DA:O.

Story, haven't finished it yet, but what I have gone through so far is great. I'm just happy that they didn't drag out the usually fantasy troupe of Giant evil out to destroy the world, orphan/exile loaner only one who can stop it. Its a different type of story. If you hate any type of variation from what you expect then this is bad. If your willing to roll with a few difference you'll find a fantastically engaging story that will really bring you into the world. Granted, the first act is a little slow, but other than that its great.

Inventory and Armor. Can you choose which armor your companions wear? no you cant. Is this a huge issue? no, it isn't. I actually kind of like the change for an RP reason. In the story your companions are not part of a party traipsing around the world. Rather, you all live in the same city, are friends, and when one of you needs the rest of the group you get together and go on adventures. It would seem sort of silly if your friend was telling you what you could and couldn't wear. These people have their own lives and can dress themselves when they get out of bed in the morning, they don't want Hawke to tell them what to wear. I think the mistake bioware made was in restricting this, but then also keeping the vast array of armor still available. So what you end up with is similar to the first game, piles and piles on armor and robes, but this time with only one character to equip them on. When you have ten spare sets of plate mail, you sort of wish you could put a new one on Aveline. They should have drastically reduced the amount of Armor available so finding a new, great set for Hawke would be meaningful. Take a page out of the original Fallout book. In those worlds there were only a few sets of the crazy powered armor in the entire game. Made you extremely excited when you finally found a set them for you character. There are plenty of great RPGs where you only had one character to fully equip. Nothing wrong with this, its just different than origins. You can still hand out weapons and trinkets to your hearts content. Except for Varric, who has a crossbow that he loves. Once again I actually like this for RP reasons. It always irked me that once you found Stern's sword in DA:O that you could give him a different weapon. He called the friken thing a part of his soul. He's just been reunited with it. Now he's going to let some upstart little gray warden tell him to use a different weapon! Come on. He's going to hold onto that puppy until he dies. Varric doesn't have quite the same relationship with his crossbow, but its similar. He loves the thing. Its gotten him through a lot of scrapes. Hes not trading it in no matter how fancy the new bow you just found is. Overall, slightly worse in terms of options, but good for role playing reasons.
  80. Mar 14, 2011
    Designed by focus group. By trying to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, Bioware has created game that never really develops it's own personality. Utterly forgettable, DA2 tries in vain to be darker, edgier and sexier, but only succeeds in trying too hard. The violence is bloody, the "sexiness" is a bit blatant and ham-handed, all the while giving the impression that behind theDesigned by focus group. By trying to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, Bioware has created game that never really develops it's own personality. Utterly forgettable, DA2 tries in vain to be darker, edgier and sexier, but only succeeds in trying too hard. The violence is bloody, the "sexiness" is a bit blatant and ham-handed, all the while giving the impression that behind the scenes is a 40-something game director saying "this is what the kids want, right?" Rather than focus on making a solid, entertaining game, Bioware tried to include all things for all gamers. They have created a game with something for everyone, but not enough for any one group to enjoy the experience. Expand
  81. Mar 14, 2011
    the game is very disappointing. The graphics seem dated, the music is ok, the game-play is simplified and poses no challenge at all for experienced rpg gamers. LOTS of the recycled content. it is the same layout for all caverns, almost all houses, and almost everything has the same type of texture applied.
    But the City Hub system is the worse, i never seen so many loading screen in my
    But the City Hub system is the worse, i never seen so many loading screen in my life. initiate quest in district A , goto hub, Loading, do quest in district B, goto hub, Loading, finish quest in district A. This system makes the game a chore. just go play DAO this one is just plain boring.
  82. Mar 15, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 is a great game. It's not as large in scope as the first game. But it's a more personal story with your family and friends in the city of Kirkwall. Don't let a few low scores keep you from playing a great rpg.
  83. Mar 15, 2011
    This game had excellent, tactical combat. The overall story was lackluster in some areas, but tied together extremely well near the end and had more than a few instances of excellent writing (the whole Qunari Arishok exchange). Overall, one of my favorite games in the past couple of years.
  84. Mar 16, 2011
    Dragon Age II is even better than Origins. You feel no pressure because there is no immediate threat, the characters are believable and demons seem to be doing their job as they should. The battles aren't too easy nor too hard in the normal mode and you can feel a difference depending on the race you choose to defend. The only reason I can see why those teenagers are giving this gameDragon Age II is even better than Origins. You feel no pressure because there is no immediate threat, the characters are believable and demons seem to be doing their job as they should. The battles aren't too easy nor too hard in the normal mode and you can feel a difference depending on the race you choose to defend. The only reason I can see why those teenagers are giving this game and Bioware a hard time is because you can't be properly "surprised" in the brothel. Other than that, this game is fantastic. Expand
  85. Mar 16, 2011
    I personally play rpg mostly for the story and not so much for the combat, so i cant say much about the combat part. It does feel a bit repetitive, but overall it is not my biggest complaint.
    Problem is they have tried to make Dragon Age 2 into a cross between Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age Origins. Problem is its not close to being as good as either of these games. Its stuck in the murky middle somewhere. There is little to no immersion, and you are stuck in one city with a few variations the whole game through. Apart from more side quests, which i think is good, the whole game feels like your just doing errands around the city, and not much variation in environment. I felt i had no control over (Shepard)Hawk at all. His companions are not boring per se, but the little you actually talk to them makes them feel disjointed from you and each other. The ME dialog wheel can make you frustrated, because it seems you can never convey the right emotions at the right time. Also the romance side of this game seems meaningless as you cant really talk much to them, and you get little heart icons on the wheel to indicate when its flirting time...DA:O was not perfect but it was far from this silly.
    The disappointment for many is probably due to this being called a sequel. It just a completely sub-par and different game ( in a bad way). Its DA:O and ME light. They could have done better with this story. The writing seems good, but they did not have time it seems to implement it the right way. They had to get it out the door quickly , and it shows.
  86. Mar 16, 2011
    After enjoying Dragon Age: Origins and Awakening, I've been waiting for Dragon Age II with much excitement. I grabbed my hands on a copy of DA2 on release date, went home, unwrapped the foil from the box and put the disc in my PS3. After setting up the options to my personal liking I was ready to start the journey. Let's start playing.

I'm writing this review while I am 18 hours in to

I'm writing this review while I am 18 hours in to the game, somewhere in Act II I presume. The reason I play RPGs are to feel immersion, connected to the main character and it's companion, a interesting story, to explore the world and to find epic loot. Dragon Age 2 is lacking major in every department. Let me tell you why.

The characters feel too generic, except for Varric and Anders. Their personalities are boring, their stories are boring and the fact that BioWare doesn't give you an opportunity to feel connected with them makes it even worse.

The story is telling the tale of how you become the champion, but to be honest I don't see it going anywhere. You do some side quests to make money, go on an expedition and after that do some more side quests. In my 18 hours of play I still don't have the feeling I am doing something important or amazing. To end with a positive note on this subject I do like the way they are presenting the story.

Exploring the word in DA2 is just drama. 90% of the game is taking place in a not so appealing city to say the least. So there's not a lot to explore, but hey we still have dungeons, right? You can scrap that from your list. There are just a few layouts and they are, sadly, reused for every dungeon. So there goes all your of exploring the world. While killing some mobs, you mostly find some loot. It might contain something epic, but sadly you can't wear it because it's another class. So you'd say let's equip one of my companions with it. But some genius at BioWare decided no one cares about equipping their party members, instead we let the player buy upgrades of armor for their companions. Thanks for not taking the weapon and accessory slots away. To end on a positive note the improved combat system is something I enjoy. It's a lot more action based and a lot smoother. From time to time you just don't want to pause the game to play it like a strategy game, but just like a hack 'n slash game.

All of the things really break the immersion for me. I want to equip my characters, I want to have cool traveling bunch, I want to explore the world and I want to feel that I am in something big. Sadly DA2 doesn't do any of that.
  87. Mar 17, 2011
    Dragon Age II has come a long way from its predecessor Dragon Age. Having played Bioware games previously (such as Jade Empire and the Mass Effect Series), the original Dragon Age was somewhat lacking. The lack of emotions for the characters, the boring combat system, the less than gorgeous graphics name a few of the things I did not like about the original game. I had wished that theDragon Age II has come a long way from its predecessor Dragon Age. Having played Bioware games previously (such as Jade Empire and the Mass Effect Series), the original Dragon Age was somewhat lacking. The lack of emotions for the characters, the boring combat system, the less than gorgeous graphics name a few of the things I did not like about the original game. I had wished that the Dragon Age game could be more like Mass Effect where the characters have voice and emotions and the combat system and play was more than "Hit x and sit back to watch the fun".

Bioware really gave the Dragon Age saga a facelift in Dragon Age II. The most obvious change is the graphics, which have improved dramatically from the original game. They followed more of the Mass Effect style, where the character is generally called "Hawke", male or female, and has a voice to go along with the dialogue wheel and expressions and reactions that fit well with the words coming from the character's mouth. The combat system greatly improved, as well. Rather than following a first person view as seen in Bethesda's games (the Elder Scrolls series), Bioware made the combat akin to a button-mashing (but not quite) game like Dark Kingdom or Dynasty Warriors. Thankfully, more strategy is needed than "BUTTON MASH LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!!!!!" There is also the option to pause and organize the entire team's attacks and tactics, for those who do not like to jump into the fray flying by the seat of their pants. The graphics associated with the combat system are much smoother, as well. The character's movements are less awkward and the gratuitous amounts of bloody explosions certainly don't detract from the appeal. The story, as well, is much more engaging than was the original game. It is much easier to just jump into the plot in Dragon Age II than it was in the original. The characters are less stereotypical and plain, as well. In Dragon Age, there was Alistair, the Edward Cullen perfect-boy, Leliana, the goody-two-shoes chantry girl, Zevran, the bi-sexual slut, and Ogrhen, who was essentially just Gimley from LOTR. In Dragon Age II, the characters are more multifaceted. Their reactions to various decisions made by the character are less predictable, which makes game play more interesting. There is not the cut-and-dry, "If I behave badly, character A will want in my pants and character B will whine and moan."

Overall, Dragon Age II has the elements of a good role playing, action-adventure game. As a female gamer, I am partial to role playing games and certainly wish there were more of them. The original Dragon Age: Origins was a bit of a let-down for me, but I had high hopes and expectations for the second installment of the Dragon Age series. I am only too happy to say that the game did not disappoint.
  88. Mar 17, 2011
    Il make it short on the deal i like the game so far, it doesnt mean i dont think theres anything wrong with it either.
    So heres my pros and cons
    Cons - You cant give your party members (boots, gloves, helmet, chest) pieces and thus their appearance never changes. Alright i understand the fact that in origins some party members just looked stupid because the gear didnt fit them i for
    So heres my pros and cons

Cons
    Alright i understand the fact that in origins some party members just looked stupid because the gear didnt fit them i for example never changed morrigans main gear until i got the next armour that was styled in the same way. so im not really sure if this is a pro or a con. but what it sure does do is take away from the gear possibilities and thus theres less things you can affect stats wise in your comppanions giving you alot less control.

- rommance love scenes are done clothes on.. im an adult this game is rated 18.. what the hell is the problem? at least in the DA:O they had most of their clothes off and the scene looked sensual, now its just dry humping?

Pros

+ The gameplay is fastly paced and requires alot of tactical wits on the higher difficulty levels. sure its not as slow as DA:O was but hey i didnt want to play the same game again.

+ Import the history from old save data, even though the changes arent huge i love the small details

+ graphics and moves have been revamped to look absolutely amazing

+ interface is awesome and journal flags where definetly awesome extra now i dont miss any text entries

then the opinions that get neutral from me

+/- Voiced main character: i hate it and i love it. what can you say...

+/- Parts where you cant controll your characters behaviour, this takes away from the game but then again im getting a feeling this is a good thing, you are trying to tell a story and some things just have to happen for it to go further, there was the part of becoming a greywarden in DA:O and you couldnt affect it either so i really dont mind that much.

+/- Only 3 playable classes and 1 race. this sure takes some element away from the game but what can you do ive accepted that the game isnt about you making a 100% custom hero but a story of a certaint hero from certaint linneage there are still alot of things i can choose which is enough for me.
  89. Mar 11, 2011
    The game is far better than a lot of commenters are implying, however the game is ruined somewhat by some bugs that seem to have made it into the final release. Some bugs that bear a remarkable resemblance to bugs in the PS3 version of ME2. It would appear that Bioware are now dependant on their users to beta test their games. The freezing bug in-particular is an astounding oversight onThe game is far better than a lot of commenters are implying, however the game is ruined somewhat by some bugs that seem to have made it into the final release. Some bugs that bear a remarkable resemblance to bugs in the PS3 version of ME2. It would appear that Bioware are now dependant on their users to beta test their games. The freezing bug in-particular is an astounding oversight on their part. The game itself is essentially Dragon Age with a dumbed down inventory system and unnecessary change to combat mechanics to appease console users. Still, the story is good, gameplay is good and graphics are a significant upgrade from the original. If they can sort the bugs quickly it would certainly help the reviews. Expand
  90. Mar 15, 2011
    The blood looks horrible as always, in fact it kind of looks like someone drew on the characters faces with a red sharpie. But it is kind of almost fun. I mean it's not a terrible game on its own but after the great game that was DA:O this is a major step back, kind of like a jump back, maybe even a fall. This game is not good enough to pay $60 for and I don't even think I would botherThe blood looks horrible as always, in fact it kind of looks like someone drew on the characters faces with a red sharpie. But it is kind of almost fun. I mean it's not a terrible game on its own but after the great game that was DA:O this is a major step back, kind of like a jump back, maybe even a fall. This game is not good enough to pay $60 for and I don't even think I would bother picking it up for $5 a year from now. I really hope Bioware does better with their next game. Also, really? What's with the critics? did you give them each a BJ?
    Much love Bioware
  91. Mar 16, 2011
    I love first one and I love second instalment too. Better graphic, faster game-play with new mechanics and excellent story as excepted! New control system suits consoles very well now.
  92. Mar 13, 2011
    Utter garbage inasmuch as it actually inspired me to signup in order to post my views. This is truly a shame, given the expectations built up with DA:O -- What is hilarious to note is all the major review companies noting `once you get past the..' OR `compare to DA:O this is much worse BUT' and awarding ~80, tbh these look like paid for reviews in order to drive sales. DA2 is awful c.f.Utter garbage inasmuch as it actually inspired me to signup in order to post my views. This is truly a shame, given the expectations built up with DA:O -- What is hilarious to note is all the major review companies noting `once you get past the..' OR `compare to DA:O this is much worse BUT' and awarding ~80, tbh these look like paid for reviews in order to drive sales. DA2 is awful c.f. DA:O.
    END OF LINE.
  93. Mar 14, 2011
    This games claims to be mature RPG from one of best RPG developers in the world, It simply is not true.
    Before i start with pros and cons, let me just say a thing or two about mature rpg:

1. It is not mature (yes there is sex and some quests are rather interesting), but flashy combat, quests that are so dumb (discover a item on floor and bring it to someone for reward is insult of intelligence). There is no real group dynamics, story so far is refreshment from usual rpg epic default, but i don't mention this as a necessary good thing - you are driven solely by making a name for your self in one rather small town. It is ok to have this, but you expect more at the end. This is just: ok, and that is it, what now?

2. RPG - where to start....it just doesn't feel like one. Inventory is a big part of rpg for me - i like to play around with items, have meaningful icons, distribute with my members, combine what is best and generally play around with crafting etc. Here they take most of it away. There are no icons, party customization is awful, if you get DLC armor & weapons, you will be using it alot because it is very powerful...crafting is just basically purchasing from a stand...no open world, feels very limited with location recycle... i just can't get into the character and into setting.

To be clear, haven't played game through...i started by single session of 8 hours, than 6, than 4, than 2.. yesterday i just chilled on couch, had absolutely no wish to turn it on (in DA:o it was quite opposite, my desire to play got bigger with progression). Not really sure if i will be able to finish it (difficultly is not an issue).. it just doesn't captivate and mesmerize like RPG should.

PRO: no bugs, some very interesting quests, combat can be fun sometimes, top notch voice acting
    CONS: inventory, party chars not very interesting, fight is not tactical at all, no open space, narrow corridors or walls most of game (don't mind dungeon crawl now and then, but this is nowhere near so far), dialog wheel (absolute rpg abomination) and yes for me - no epic struggle as culmination of all the efforts...

For me a big letdown, if you liked origins and enjoy classic RPG experience do not buy this game until it is not on some discount or used...don't think I'll ever play this more than once if i manage to get interested enough to complete.

P.S. If this is what RPG is going to be from now on - i must be getting too old and this simply is not for me.
  94. Mar 14, 2011
    After amazing Dragon Age I, the Dragon Age II is a big let down. It has thrown away everything that made Dragon Age I such an epic adventure. For example in Dragon Age II you never leave the Kirkwall which makes environment more and more boring when time passes. The combat is just bad and over used. It is dull when a group of bandits or spiders jump on you on every corner. Not to talkAfter amazing Dragon Age I, the Dragon Age II is a big let down. It has thrown away everything that made Dragon Age I such an epic adventure. For example in Dragon Age II you never leave the Kirkwall which makes environment more and more boring when time passes. The combat is just bad and over used. It is dull when a group of bandits or spiders jump on you on every corner. Not to talk about enemy reinforcements: seems like every gang in Kirkwall got a lot of men to spare. Reinforcement idea is also too heavily over used. I swear there wasn't a single battle without more enemies popping from ground.

Do not believe "professional" critics, the game is just bad and should never been released. User score speaks for the game quality.
  95. Mar 15, 2011
    What a disaster. This is not a "character-driven story". It is not that this is a departure from Origins which is the problem, it is that it is uncompelling in every way (save maybe for the revamped combat which was the only positive, and maybe the ability to have a decade long same-sex relationship with someone which, honestly, didn't have enough chemistry to really matter). That isWhat a disaster. This is not a "character-driven story". It is not that this is a departure from Origins which is the problem, it is that it is uncompelling in every way (save maybe for the revamped combat which was the only positive, and maybe the ability to have a decade long same-sex relationship with someone which, honestly, didn't have enough chemistry to really matter). That is the fundamental problem with this game. Other than that, there is no environmental changes, no different locations, the characters are all flat, and you can tell they tried to put all their eggs in one basket with Isabella which didn't work out well for them anyway. I'm a champion. Of what exactly? Or, what the hell is the end of that game about? Really? Feel like they ran out of time to work on this game, and tried to end it as quickly as possible. You know, like doing your final term paper the night before it's due. Crushing disappointment from a gay gamer who was such a fan of Origins. This was a simple ploy to make money. I feel cheated. Expand
  96. Mar 17, 2011
    What a shameful piece of garbage. Its like they took 2 years to deliver us an abortion of a game. The only improvement is the upgraded combat system, which by all means is nice, but id much rather have the old combat system if it came with a much deeper story that didnt limit me to 1 ugly, boring, empty city. I had no idea what the whole point of the game really was or who the mainWhat a shameful piece of garbage. Its like they took 2 years to deliver us an abortion of a game. The only improvement is the upgraded combat system, which by all means is nice, but id much rather have the old combat system if it came with a much deeper story that didnt limit me to 1 ugly, boring, empty city. I had no idea what the whole point of the game really was or who the main antagonist even was until almost literally at the end. This game is a massive let down without getting into a huge 100 page report on how poor it is. Try harder next time bioWare, and stop dulling your sequels down to garbage. Expand
  97. Mar 18, 2011
    Origins had a lot more epic and exciting story. Idea of putting story in one city, with 2-3 locations near it is really catastrophic. Combat is not that satisfying as it should be, inventory is awful. In Dragon Age Origins we didn't have so much restriction for armors and weapons like here. I was really surprised by that, but in the wrong way. Graphics, well, I can't complain too muchOrigins had a lot more epic and exciting story. Idea of putting story in one city, with 2-3 locations near it is really catastrophic. Combat is not that satisfying as it should be, inventory is awful. In Dragon Age Origins we didn't have so much restriction for armors and weapons like here. I was really surprised by that, but in the wrong way. Graphics, well, I can't complain too much about it. Characters...there's only one worth mentioning and that is Varric because it seems they only finished him and that the others were in work by the time game was out. Main character is finally voiced and it doesn't seem so dumb like in Origins, but I expected more. I really wanted to like this game, especially because it is from Bioware. But call of money and greed from EA made this game the biggest flop this year. I will give it a 2, only because it gave me 35 hours of gameplay. I really hope this won't happen again, this rushing and placing a half-finished product on the market with Mass Effect 3. Expand
  98. Mar 26, 2011
    I have enjoyed almost all the games Bioware has produced in the past. Hardly anyone can deny that games like Baldurs Gate II, Dragon Age Origins and Kotor provide tons of entertainment. They received high ratings from professional reviewers and the community was pleased.

What happened? How is it possible for a gaming company to take such a nosedive in one year? It would have been

It would have been UNFATHOMABLE to even consider that the average community score for a Dragon Age sequel would be less than 60/100 but here we are.

How is it that in almost every single installment before Dragon Age 2 we had the ability to impact the world around us and the ending of the game would change depending on our choices? But now it doesn't matter who you support, not one bit. One tragedy after another isn't the core problem here but that you can't do anything about it.

What's the replay value people? Really, what is it? What can I do differently? Have sex with Merrill instead of Isabela and change my tone of voice while speaking during pre-determined events?

And how is it that romances have devolved into *press heart symbol to have h0t s3x*

What happened to gameplay? What happened to stealing, creating potions, collecting resources and having a connection with the world around us?

Where is the possibility to lie, intimidate and charm during conversations? Isn't that what roleplaying has been all about in your previous releases? You dont even need to read your own lines in DA2 (nor can you). Just choose one option from *calm*, *joke* or *angry*. Talking yourself out from a bad spot isn't really an option if the game has already decided what is going to happen.

What happened to being able to choose your own race. What's the point of having racism towards elves if you cant even play one anymore?

Customizing the armor of your companions might not seem like a big deal to many people since we are forced to use the best armor sets anyway and sell all the junk. But it does look completely stupid to have some pirate woman in a prostitute uniform fighting against a high-dragon. This is something I expect to see from square and Final Fantasy, not Bioware.

And the worst thing is that after investing over 40 hours of gameplay, there is no real ending or closure. So what's the idea behind this? Rip us off with DLC's?

And people really need to stop being naive. I hardly doubt this is going to be a prequel to some epic tale. Why should I believe that a savegame import would matter now when it has never had a major impact in the past? It's just going to be another set of cameos, letters from the people you saved and a couple of mentions about what happened in the past.

This game does its job as a linear adventure hack'n'slasher but that's it.

Just one year ago Bioware put square on blast by stating that "Final Fantasy XIII is not an RPG yadayada". And here we are now....I hope CD Projekt stays silent and walks the walk with Witcher 2, because you guys need a reality check.

On a scale from 1 to pretzel, I'm mad salty lol. I guess it's time to go back to hyping the upcoming Mass Effect 2 DLC, because atleast you still have dev-teams that know what the hell they are doing.

Bioware, I am dissapoint :(
  99. Mar 16, 2011
    The immersion and combat of this game are unmatched! A truly moving and fun epic. Anything negative you'll see about this game is an overreaction of personal preference. For what it is, it is flawlessly executed and endlessly entertaining

1. Aug 3, 2011
    I'll give Bioware points for trying to do something different in their world, but they really did have it right the first time in terms of character building and the scope of the story.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    May 27, 2011
    Ultimately Dragon Age II feels like a one step past, and two steps back from Origins. It has been specced purely with us console gamers in mind and now has a low barrier of entry that will rally new fans to the Dragon Age banner. That's admirable, but fans who did get into Origins will lament the less masterful storytelling and the noticeably uneven visual presentation. [May 2011 p.78]
  3. May 16, 2011
    A smaller gameworld and recycled environments make Dragon Age II feel less expansive than Origins, but a number of console friendly game changes may make it more appealing to console gamers than its predecessor.