Dragon's Dogma PlayStation 3

8.3

1. Mar 21, 2017
    One of my favourite PS3 gen games. The only inadequacy was really poor framerate and some textures. The other things was at least good or excelent. Its like mix of Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, Shadow of the Colossus, Berserk and Lord of the Rings made into open world rpg. Combat is one of the best, while Sorcerer class and their spells outclased everything was made. Story was fine, musisOne of my favourite PS3 gen games. The only inadequacy was really poor framerate and some textures. The other things was at least good or excelent. Its like mix of Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, Shadow of the Colossus, Berserk and Lord of the Rings made into open world rpg. Combat is one of the best, while Sorcerer class and their spells outclased everything was made. Story was fine, musis memorable, graphics very nice overall (except thing i mentioned eariel). Game has very intresting mechanics rare or lack in other games like weight and height of character affect gameplay (fat characters cannot be raised by harpies, tall characters cannot enter goblins holes etc), roottening food in inventory if keept outside special cointainers, lantern required oil and drains by water fall and many others. Very detailed character creator also need some patience. Expand
  2. Oct 1, 2016
    Let's get the obligatory Skyrim comparisons out the way first. I'm a huge Skyrim fan- when it came out I declared it the greatest game of this current generation. Sure, it's glitchy to the point of being oft unplayable, but with a game on such a huge scale it was never going to be as polished as a 5hr game like Modern Warfare! It simply was a great playing experience. Unfortunately for allLet's get the obligatory Skyrim comparisons out the way first. I'm a huge Skyrim fan- when it came out I declared it the greatest game of this current generation. Sure, it's glitchy to the point of being oft unplayable, but with a game on such a huge scale it was never going to be as polished as a 5hr game like Modern Warfare! It simply was a great playing experience. Unfortunately for all other RPG's it is now the game to match, or if possible, beat. It set the bar incredibly high and comparisons WILL be inevitable.

So, a few hours into DD how does it compare? I've got to say it compares VERY well indeed, and in many ways actually surpasses it. Skyrim has a better story, soundtrack, and sense of tangible history. It's bigger and everyone bought it on the day it come out, so it became an event- for a good month it was all every gamer was talking about. But... apart from the obvious glitches aside, I was disappointed at how easy dragons were to slay, how small they seemed and how every identikit dungeon was well lit- there was no fear of the unknown. When I imagine stepping into dungeons I think about what's lurking in the shadows beyond my torchlight; having a sustained feel of dread at what lies ahead, and coming across monsters which are so formidable I wonder how on earth it's possible to ever win.

And this is where DD surpasses the mighty Skyrim. Most monsters are a serious challenge. Smaller ones often hunt in packs and take you down, and the big ones are truly epic battles on par with Shadow of the Collolus. Your first encounter with a giant hydra is by and away the most spectacular piece of gaming I have enjoyed so far, and you really feel like you are tackling truly formidable foes (as opposed to taking down dragons with a few hits in Skyrim). It is very easy to die in this game and it truly adds a sense of trepidation to the game.

I must mention the use of lighting in this game- it's incredible! Night time is dark. Really dark. And the dungeons pitch black. You really need a torch, and the sense of the unknown before you as your torch lights up ten foot in front of you is amazing (plus it simply looks amazing). Hearing the groans of the undead before you can see them really adds to the excitement.

And then the piece de resistance: the pawns. Not only are they incredibly helpful, giving you advice they are also very proactive. Sure, a companion in Skyrim will wade into battle for you, and also follow a couple of commands, but here they find hidden objects comment on different places and if they have previous experience of a foe they will advise you how to take it down. They grab hold of smaller foes so you can run in and kill them, they try and distract them so you won't get attacked and best of all you can customize your main one and share him/her with other players online. This is the future of RPG gaming!

Talking of customization- this is the best in any game I have seen. So many other games let you customize faces and clothes, but Saints Row aside, never their physique. If you want to play a 7' fatty you can, or a tiny waif and anything inbetween. Methinks there are going to be some very funny looking pawns online very soon!

Overall the graphics are fantastic. The character models are a tad simplistic, but the environment, lighting and monsters are superb. You really get a feel that you exploring a strange land inhabited by the most fearsome baddies around.

So, back to the comparison: DD has much much better combat, better NPC's, better lighting, much tougher and formidable monsters, a better sense of adventure (no one-hit-and-they're-down frost trolls for example) and an online community with the pawns. It's more akin to a free-roaming Dragon Age and a slightly easier Demon's Souls than Skyrim to be fair. Skyrim is still the one to beat, but Bethesda could learn a lot from DD. If the next Elder Scrolls had the intensity of combat, the atmospheric and realistic lighting and similar pawn system of DD then it would be the greatest game of all time. In the meantime, DD serves to be a worthy adversary and a fantastic game in its own right.

Buy it people. You know you want to!
  3. Apr 11, 2016
    This game is epic in every sense of the word. HUGE open world,hundreds of deep & fulfilling quests,long complex & at times BRUTAL dungeons,a very deep customisation - in terms of both character creation & clothing/armor/weapons/spells etc. You could easily lose 200-300 hrs here if you search everywhere & do all side quests. Graphically its good but not great, but be honest who plays rpgsThis game is epic in every sense of the word. HUGE open world,hundreds of deep & fulfilling quests,long complex & at times BRUTAL dungeons,a very deep customisation - in terms of both character creation & clothing/armor/weapons/spells etc. You could easily lose 200-300 hrs here if you search everywhere & do all side quests. Graphically its good but not great, but be honest who plays rpgs for great graphics?? The enemies/bosses & combat are fast , fluid & relentless & quite honestly with just 20hrs played I can happily say the combat in DD is stand out in this genre , only rivalled by the Souls games. Expand
  4. Mar 30, 2016
    Dragon's Dogma is one of the most underrated games of all time. It was released about 6 months after Skyrim, and only 3 months after Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, so naturally very few people purchased it. The game has beautiful graphics, amazing lighting effects, and a giant open world. The sound design is top notch and the voice acting is decent. It has the most fluid and responsiveDragon's Dogma is one of the most underrated games of all time. It was released about 6 months after Skyrim, and only 3 months after Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, so naturally very few people purchased it. The game has beautiful graphics, amazing lighting effects, and a giant open world. The sound design is top notch and the voice acting is decent. It has the most fluid and responsive character animations and controls I have ever played (imagine The Witcher 3 if Geralt controlled much less like a drunk monkey). All action RPGs should take note of the nearly flawless 3rd person controls in this game. The weapons/armor customization/upgrades are incredibly addicting, and the enemies are varied, plentiful, and often very tough. The one major problem with the game is the weak generic story. The pawn system was innovative and awesome, but unfortunately the game is so old now that you will only really benefit from any online friends you have that are also still playing the game and can recruit your pawn. You MUST get the Dark Arisen version of the game, as it adds a gigantic difficult dungeon and most importantly fast travel beacons that can be placed anywhere in the world. Expand
  5. Mar 3, 2016
    Great game indeed it shows clearly that they tried hard to make this good game and that what it is. Large area with lots of quest to do theres not easily going to end things to do. Scary part is that there can always come monsters no matter what. You just walk on a road and then theres you get ambushed. Boss battles arent too hard but they are not too easy either.
  6. Feb 19, 2016
    It was an amazing game. The story was great and original. You progressed slowly, their is no weapon that will make you the godlike killing machine (well if you wanna waste your time farming exp... maybe you can become godlike). Most of our abilities were very down to earth. There was maybe a bit too much traveling on foot from one end of the map to the other. If they would have createdIt was an amazing game. The story was great and original. You progressed slowly, their is no weapon that will make you the godlike killing machine (well if you wanna waste your time farming exp... maybe you can become godlike). Most of our abilities were very down to earth. There was maybe a bit too much traveling on foot from one end of the map to the other. If they would have created a traveling system, that would have helped. Depending on the path you choose, there will be a different ending. I chose the path of the righteous and my ending was heartbreaking. I would suggest this game to everyone =D Expand
  7. Jan 23, 2016
    Pros:
    +Una jugabilidad excelente
    +Combates rápidos y emocionante
    +Rol bastante decente
    +Sistema de Peones muy adictivo
    +Los enfrentamientos con los jefes, simplemente épicos

Contras:
    -Banda sonora muy simplona, a excepción de algunos combates.
    -La historia tiene muchos altibajos.
    -Pocas ciudades (Solamente Gran Soren, es la más grande del juego)
  8. Nov 27, 2015
    This game is brilliant, I bought this game and did not expect much out of it, but I can definitely say this is one of my favorite RPGs, I gave it a 10 but I´d really go for a 9.5 but I rounded it up. The gameplay, story and graphics are great, this feels so much like an online RPG with the pawn system, battles are done with a party, I love how monsters are not hampered according to yourThis game is brilliant, I bought this game and did not expect much out of it, but I can definitely say this is one of my favorite RPGs, I gave it a 10 but I´d really go for a 9.5 but I rounded it up. The gameplay, story and graphics are great, this feels so much like an online RPG with the pawn system, battles are done with a party, I love how monsters are not hampered according to your level, that means that at first exploring is quite dangerous, and later on its a walk in the park (depending where you explore obviously). This game in my opinion is a MUST have, better than diablo 3 and skyrim in my opinion, if you have not tryed it yet, get it before you get a ps4. Expand
  9. Jul 31, 2015
    Dragon's Dogma is an underrated game which appeals to RPG fans in a special way. With ideas such as the pawn system, in which you recruit Pawns (companions with special skills whom accompany you around the world.), the feature side of the game is solid.

A vast open world, a sound combat system and an interesting story makes for a game that is definitely worth playing.
  10. Dec 22, 2014
    Its one of the best games i played. It have some very specific mechanics which take some time to get used to. For example, you have to read description of every single new item you acquire. This way you can see how its used in crafting or otherwise useable and decide, should you take this type of items in future ar not. Or maybe you shall take it for sale. If you take everything, you willIts one of the best games i played. It have some very specific mechanics which take some time to get used to. For example, you have to read description of every single new item you acquire. This way you can see how its used in crafting or otherwise useable and decide, should you take this type of items in future ar not. Or maybe you shall take it for sale. If you take everything, you will be over encumbered very fast. If you take nothing, you will lack many cool possibilities and will be underpowered. Apart from items game is truly brilliant. Its much more fun than Skyrim. Assimetric multiplayer (pawns system) makes it even better. You never had so fun and intelligent ai-driven companions. This game is underrated. I made metacritic account especially to rate this game 10. Capcom should make sequel. And if you will decide to buy it, buy it with expansion Dark Arisen. Expand
  11. Oct 22, 2014
    Dragon's Dogma

Game-play:It is great the combat in very well made every class feels unique and even let you change class when ever you want it is a difficult game from time to time so you have to play more strategic than other RPG games ,the game have 9 classes to choose and the big hit in this game is the boss battles this game have the best boss battles i have ever played.
    Dragon's Dogma

Story:The story is ok and some times it can be great,and the game let you replay the story as many time as you like with your character progress.

Graphics:The graphics are the biggest let down of the game only the dragons look nice.

Notes:If you are an RPG fun you have to buy this game the pawns are very annoying.This is a great game buy at full price.
  12. Sep 10, 2014
    Dragon’s Dogma amiguinhos! Esse foi um daqueles jogos que me chamou a atenção e tenho esperado desde o primeiro video que vi. Pra começo de conversa é o primeiro game depois de Shadow of the Colossus a implementar uma jogabilidade de “escale o monstro para mata-lo”. E destaque para o termo jogabilidade, pois você realmente joga essas partes, diferente de jogos onde escalar o monstroDragon’s Dogma amiguinhos! Esse foi um daqueles jogos que me chamou a atenção e tenho esperado desde o primeiro video que vi. Pra começo de conversa é o primeiro game depois de Shadow of the Colossus a implementar uma jogabilidade de “escale o monstro para mata-lo”. E destaque para o termo jogabilidade, pois você realmente joga essas partes, diferente de jogos onde escalar o monstro gigante se resume a QTEs como Godo of War e Castlevania Lords of Shadows. O jogo vai além de escalar monstro com uma jogabilidade complexa para toda a parte do combate, algo nunca visto antes em um RPG de mundo aberto.
    E esse é o grande destaque do jogo, a jogabilidade. Como sabem é o que mais prezo em um jogo. Quando peguei o controle pela primeira vez pra jogar o demo me senti compreendido! Foi paixão a primeira vista. Pois pra mim todo jogo decente tem que ter um mínimo de ações como pulo, esquiva, correr, agarrar e normalmente quando você joga um jogo o jogo opta por certas ações e te restringe não tendo outras. Como jogador a tanto tempo já até acostumei com isso. Mas Dragon’s Dogma não é assim. Nele você tem todas essas ações. O jogo já começa com muitas opções de ações e o mapeamento dos botões é perfeito, extremamente instintivo. E o combate, digno realmente dos desenvolvedores de Devil May Cry. Testei algo que experimentei pela primeira vez com DMC, apertar os botões de bater dando um intervalo, e isso resulta em um combo diferente. A profundidade e complexidade do combate é impressionante. O mapeamento das skills, perfeito. Sem falar que cada skill não tem apenas um efeito, elas tem cada uma sua física programada. quantos jogos você já jogou onde um arqueiro pode paralisar um inimigo com uma flecha? Agora quantos jogos você já jogou onde você precisa que o inimigo esteja perto de uma parede para finca-lo nela e assim paralisa-lo? Esse é Dragon’s Dogma. Toda skill, aliás todo o combate, todo o jogo tem uma física muito bem trabalhada nele. No modo como conecta os golpes, corre, pula, se agarra, escala, agarra os inimigos e por ai vai.
    Dentro do combate outro destaque é o agarrar. Você pode agarrar qualquer objeto pra arremessar e pode agarrar seus inimigos. A muito tempo penso nessa dinâmica de agarramento do Dragon’s Dogma e fico feliz que FINALMENTE algum jogo fez isso. O lance de você agarrar um inimigo se ele for pequeno e se agarrar a um inimigo para escala-lo se ele for grande. É uma ideia simples porém só agora realizada por um jogo.
    Dragon’s Dogma foi ousado. Além de ser um RPG, com quests, NPCs, em um mundo aberto, com um gameplay tão “de ação”, o jogo ainda dá direito a todas as dinâmicas encontradas em RPGs tradicionais, como: um complexo sistema de gethering e crafting para itens e armas, diversas classes de personagem e ainda outro sistema de companheiros de party.
    Agora entramos no que tem de ruim no jogo. Os Pawns, que são seus companheiros de party, eles tem uma AI péssima e você é muito limitado no modo de comanda-los. Eles são realmente limitados, por tanto eu pretendia jogar sem eles, porém é impossível! Pelo menos na dificuldade normal. O jogo não é difícil, é cruel!.. e difícil! Desnecessariamente. Inimigos medíocres logo no começo exigem uma quantidade imensa de golpes para morrer. E isso não vai melhorando muito com o tempo. É triste ver suas táticas de combate irem por água a baixo porque você tem que ficar dando 2 ou 3 combos num inimigo caído no chão pra ele morrer ao invés de já poder estar indo pra cima de outro.
    O grande problema para mim são os HPs muito altos, e esse problema se acentua se você estiver jogando com classes de arco e faca. E em situações onde surgem grupos de inimigos em mais de dez cabeças, isso fica ridículo. E o jogo é cruel por te enviar para lugares inóspitos cheios de inimigos de level mais alto que o seu, logo de começo! Se você não quer abaixar o nível de dificuldade do jogo, (o que estou começando a considerar em pró da diversão. Se jogar no easy se resumir a inimigos com menos HP.) ande com cautela por aí. Sempre atento. Morrer e ser mandado lá pra traz é frustrante, mas com o tempo você aprende a salvar com frequência.
    Por ser um RPG o jogo também exige que você perca muito tempo no micromenegement dos equipamentos itens, crafting e venda. Isso é meio chato pra mim, ainda mais se sua vida depender disso, de equipamentos melhores e itens de cura melhores. Outro ponto fraco é que o mundo aberto é um vasto mundo por onde você ANDA. São distâncias muito longas e os itens de fast travel só ficam acessíveis bem mais a frente. Então infelizmente você passará grande parte do jogo apenas andando e correndo. A história de Dragon’s Dogma a princípio também é bem fraquinha.
    Mas nada disso consegue estragar a experiência única do gameplay perfeito de Dragon’s Dogma. Na minha humilde opinião ele deixa Skyrim e Demon Souls no chinelo fácil! Pois são dois jogos com jogabilidades MERDAS! Pronto falei!
  13. Jun 11, 2014
    Im a player who just plays rpg games and please attention to my words:

Im a player who just plays rpg games and please attention to my words:

This is the best rpg i have ever played.Game itself contain a system called pawn.Pawns are not human but they are in human form and they will support arisen who is our character.You can command them during the game as well.Your group can be maximum 4 player,One of 3 pawn will be created by yourself and the others two will be other pawns created by other players around the world.

This pawn characters are very clever and they have memories.They will learn every move and weaknesses of the enemies and they will learn locations and dungeons to guide you during the game.

Dont lose any time and start to play this game.
  14. Apr 21, 2014
    Dragon's Dogma for me what we call "true rpg", reminding me a lot of Demon's Soul and Dark Soul saga.
    Dragon's Dogma is challenging, creative, serious and classic, armor and weapons that really ambientam called "medieval" and realistic movement of the characters, not like all asian RPG cliché, where EVERYTHING is exaggerated.
    If you REALLY are an admirer and fan of a true rpg true, then
    If you REALLY are an admirer and fan of a true rpg true, then Dragon's Dogma was done for us.
  15. Feb 20, 2014
    What a great game, it was far above my expectations. You can do so much in this game, a tons of great quests and huge continents with great graphics. This is definitely one of the best games I ever played.
  16. Jan 30, 2014
    I only need 2 words to summarize this game: Simply Incredible.

I only need 2 words to summarize this game: Simply Incredible.

This game is what I had expected of Skyrim - innovative, fun, and beautiful with a memorable story. The combat is open and extremely complex, a level of complexity I've not seen since. Gear progression is fluent and satisfying and the open world is very fluent. No framerate drops or other fails of the system. I really hope Capcom releases the next DD, as this was a great experience.
  17. Jan 27, 2014
    Dragon's Dogma is flawed the same way a fresh dug gem is flawed - it's missing some fine craftsmanship and polishing, but in spite of that, has a raw beauty that captivates you. At first, I was thrown off by the seemingly pop rock song at the title screen, which led to a facepalm and left me thinking, "Japan, what have you done NOW?" But as I played the game, it completely took me byDragon's Dogma is flawed the same way a fresh dug gem is flawed - it's missing some fine craftsmanship and polishing, but in spite of that, has a raw beauty that captivates you. At first, I was thrown off by the seemingly pop rock song at the title screen, which led to a facepalm and left me thinking, "Japan, what have you done NOW?" But as I played the game, it completely took me by surprise at the setting and, the factor that led me to buy this game, the GAMEPLAY! I had too much fun with this game and I've yet to set it down!

Breakdown on features (on scale of 1 to 10):

Graphics: 7. Detailed, but nothing to write home about. Runs around 20 to 30 frames per second.

Sound: 7. Every character has a voice over, and most of them are not annoying. You'll be amused at the trainer that yells "Enough!" by the way.

Gameplay: 10! THIS is where the game truly shines! The controls are simple, and yet the way its presented takes it to another level. You can jump and climb on enemies, and depending on what you grab (the legs will slow them down) or attack (hit an enemy's eyes and they'll stagger) will affect the battle in different ways. As for the smaller enemies, you can actually grab them and do a Sparta kick! It's like Shadow of the Colossus, but with a more vibrant world AND with companions! More on that below...

Features: 9! The Pawn system takes the companion feature to a new level: You can actually use companions from your friends! This will make combat and exploring considerably easier and more fulfilling. That's not to say there aren't any challenging foes, however, as there are monsters that will test your group composition. Character and pawn customization is surprisingly detailed and makes you feel distinguishable.

Multiplayer: N/A, no true multiplayer here, though one can't help but think of possibilities....

Any downsides to this game?: The camera angles and lack of zooming can be a bit disappointing. Also you'd think this game would've harnessed the power of the PS3 to give the frame rate a bit of a boost. I found the story a bit uninteresting but to each their own.

Overall: This game is at the very least worth checking out, and a definite buy if you like an engrossing single-player RPG with fantastic combat.
  18. Nov 22, 2013
    Strangely it's the post game of the game that truly makes Dragon's Dogma a story that makes you think, setting it's self apart from the by the names main campaign. Combat is fun with a shadow of the colossusmeets hack and slash feel but I can't help but wish the monsters were more diverse.
  19. Nov 5, 2013
    With an astounding battle system and a beautiful lore, Dragon''s Dogma it's a good choice of RPG, and, it's better than Skyrim in almost every aspect.
  20. Oct 17, 2013
    Graphically, I think this game needs improvement. The game play however is very solid. It's a game that takes a few hours of play to get to a point where the player can appreciate the work that went into it. I bring that up because I thought I made a mistake in my purchase the first couple of hours I played it. However, as you level up and get stronger, the world becomes more open to you,Graphically, I think this game needs improvement. The game play however is very solid. It's a game that takes a few hours of play to get to a point where the player can appreciate the work that went into it. I bring that up because I thought I made a mistake in my purchase the first couple of hours I played it. However, as you level up and get stronger, the world becomes more open to you, throwing in new challenges (mainly more monsters).
    I also enjoy the way you can stay as a particular class and gain specific permanent strengths to your character as that class that you can take with you when you switch classes.
  21. Sep 17, 2013
    I would love this game on the PC for two reasons. 1) the ability to zoom out and 2) graphical improvements. Other than that, DD is a very good game. It's not easy and takes serious strategy to play. It is also huge with tons to see. Sad part is there is no fast travel so journeys from one place to the next take time. This is good and bad. When it gets dark, bad things come out. If you setI would love this game on the PC for two reasons. 1) the ability to zoom out and 2) graphical improvements. Other than that, DD is a very good game. It's not easy and takes serious strategy to play. It is also huge with tons to see. Sad part is there is no fast travel so journeys from one place to the next take time. This is good and bad. When it gets dark, bad things come out. If you set out to say a castle way in the distance, if night falls you're in trouble. This sense of danger and urgency are unparalleled in any game I've played before. Combat is fast and action packed. It can be erratic with no sticky targeting system. Again, a good and bad thing. The UI isn't the best. It's poorly impletemented with multiple menus. I wish this could be patched. Exploration is excellent and the landscape varied. Not quite Skyrim but impressive all the same. Strangely, I'm enjoying DD more than Skyrim. Story and quests are standard stuff. Been done in every RPG since time began. The Pawn system is a standout feature and something I haven't seen before. Thoroughly enjoyed this aspect of the game. As a video game, DD is well worth investing in. It isn't a hand holding affair and I found myself in the dark for the first few hours. Give it time and it gets better and better. It really could have been a true great of the modern generation. It falls short because of minor technical issues. Watch videos and read reviews. Expand
  22. Jul 29, 2013
    Dragon's Dogma is far from perfect, but it's a heck of a lot of fun if you are an RPG fan. Perhaps the graphics don't look pretty enough or the map doesn't feel as big as say a Elder Scrolls game. The game can become easy after awhile, though it starts off challenging. Hmm..the lack of quick travel or pawns incessant talking can irk some people. These things are small deals. The big dealDragon's Dogma is far from perfect, but it's a heck of a lot of fun if you are an RPG fan. Perhaps the graphics don't look pretty enough or the map doesn't feel as big as say a Elder Scrolls game. The game can become easy after awhile, though it starts off challenging. Hmm..the lack of quick travel or pawns incessant talking can irk some people. These things are small deals. The big deal is that the game is enjoyable. This is a fast paced role playing game. With customization. Epic boss fights. Some of the best versions I've ever seen of some common fantasy monsters. It does feel like an adventure. I recommend it to any rpg fan. Expand
  23. Jul 14, 2013
    Amazing dark fantasy RPG, combat doesn't have the finesse of Demons/Dark souls, but the availability of skills allows you to design all kinds of crazy combos and interesting tactics. Contrary to Elder scrolls and the souls series, gameplay is restricted to the job you choose (mage, fighter, etc) but you can change such job anytime you want, and some of the abilities from the job levelingAmazing dark fantasy RPG, combat doesn't have the finesse of Demons/Dark souls, but the availability of skills allows you to design all kinds of crazy combos and interesting tactics. Contrary to Elder scrolls and the souls series, gameplay is restricted to the job you choose (mage, fighter, etc) but you can change such job anytime you want, and some of the abilities from the job leveling system (augment) remain available even if you change vocation. It's a very addictive system in which you keep leveling different vocations to gain the best augments for your particular playstyle. Similar to other current RPGs, you also get unbelievable battles against huge monsters, and in this department, I gotta say Dragon's Dogma pulled it off perfectly. These fights feel visceral, grand scale, and brutal, with the special mechanic being the fact that you can actually climb the beasts and hack at weak spots similar to Shadow of the collossuss. My only gripe is the restricted Fast traveling system, hell, you don't even get a mount; but it's a minor issue, and I have to say it really gives it this special flavour of being on a long journey. A must have for Medieval RPG fans, and easily gets a spot in the Dark Epic Fantasy nirvana along with Demon's souls, Dark souls, and the elder scrolls series. Expand
  24. Jul 5, 2013
    Mixes western and Japanese RPG sensibilities very well, fun and rewarding without resorting to penalising the player with pointless grinding or becoming a mindless dungeon-crawl.
  25. May 28, 2013
    What an epic game, you can be anyone you choose to be, you can side with all different types of characters, and have awesome duels in a land, this game really is epic, but a little short sighted on quests, but there will be tons of them to complete. Really a great game.
  26. May 28, 2013
    This game is unbelievable. As a lifelong Elder Scrolls fan, I can say that this game scratches the itch better than the newest Skyrim game. Yes the map is smaller in terms of land area, but it is much deeper. Where Skyrim has tons of cookie-cutter dungeons, each of the dungeons in this game are fairly unique and interesting to play through. The landscapes are much more fun to explore inThis game is unbelievable. As a lifelong Elder Scrolls fan, I can say that this game scratches the itch better than the newest Skyrim game. Yes the map is smaller in terms of land area, but it is much deeper. Where Skyrim has tons of cookie-cutter dungeons, each of the dungeons in this game are fairly unique and interesting to play through. The landscapes are much more fun to explore in this game as each area feels hand-crafted for exploration. I even spent hours in the main city once climbing up walls to areas I recently didn't think were accessible, only to find secret chests with very useful items. A friend of mine played a character with a double jump (which I did not have), and was thus able to access areas I didn't even know were in the game!

Battles in Skyrim quickly devolve into "run forward while mashing R2," but battles in this game are epic and strategic. What other real-time RPG can you name where you can have party members simultaneous casting spells, shooting arrows into the eyes, climbing on the back to slash at the back of the neck, and holding the attention/agro of one of three huge ogres in the middle of an epic battle to take back a fortress?

No fast travel means you have to actually walk across the beautiful landscape, planning ahead for your journey to make sure you have enough supplies, leaving at dawn because enemies grow stronger and greater in number at night. This all adds to such a high amount of immersion that I haven't felt in a game since Morrowind for the original Xbox. The pawn system is just genius, giving incentive to create the best main pawn you can possibly create, because you get points when other players use your pawn online. These points can then be redeemed for you to use higher level pawns for your own journeys.

Overall this is one of the best American-style RPGs I have ever played. Yes the pawns' dialog can get annoying, yes battling the same enemies can get tedious, but I can overlook all of that when playing the most immersive, epic, strategic, and overall fun RPG I've played in years.
  27. May 4, 2013
    This game is visually sunning and has an amazing battle system. A huge open world, with incredible beast to fight and it's a LOT of fun to play even with the flaws. Unfortunately the flaws in the game are quite a few...there are a few glitches, the creatures always appear in the same area, no fast travel, the story is not that game and the characters and IA have a lot of glitches and flawsThis game is visually sunning and has an amazing battle system. A huge open world, with incredible beast to fight and it's a LOT of fun to play even with the flaws. Unfortunately the flaws in the game are quite a few...there are a few glitches, the creatures always appear in the same area, no fast travel, the story is not that game and the characters and IA have a lot of glitches and flaws especially when they speak and their mouth doesn't correspond to what you hear...but in the end is an amazing fun game. Expand
  28. May 2, 2013
    I have just started the Dark Arisen version, but since I have started the new game from scratch, it will take some time, before I'll be able to talk about its additions. So let me just go over some points of the original Dragon's Dogma, the best RPG game released in 2012, that I'd like to address.

Reason why DD never quite hit the mainstream is, I think, how incredibly dull the first few hours of the game are. I was looking out for DD pretty much since first videos. My guts were telling me this is going to be Demons Souls big and they were ultimately right, but the first day or two I was playing DD, it felt like money flushed down the toilet.

The game starts with short linear piece in shoes of another Arisen, who is predecessor to our own hero. Point of this piece is to get player familiar with compat controls, but they are simply too complex for that and ultimately your pawns will do most of the job on their own. Still you are likely to get the hang of it to some extent to enjoy the fight with the chimera at the end.

The creation of our own hero follows and with all the options it is easy to kill an hour or two just with that. Then after a short fight and class selection you are thrown into the game in the small fisherman village of Cassardis (or something like that), which is about as dull as villages can get. Afternoon sun burns into everyones backs and who would really do anything in such weather. Short run around the beach will reveal another of DD's bigger flaws, which is overall level of detail of things, which is rather pathetic for 2012 game and the way props apper out of nowhere just a few meters in front of you is just sad. Thankfuly DD often manages to look strikingly beautiful anyways, mainly thanks to the suberb lightning.

All in all before you get to create your own pawn, several hours are gone and hardly anything happens by that time. And it takes about a dozen hours before you get to capital city, get familiar with vocation changing, weapon enhancing, etc. and start taking on quests that will lead you to yet unknown parts of the land, which is where DD is in its best. So, yeah, the start could have been better.

Exploration in Dragon's Dogma is a great thing you have to go places by foot and you can never be quite sure what kind of monsters you will encounter in those unknown lands. DD is not as hard as Souls series, but your survival in those encounters is nowhere near granted. Now if you are on your way to the fartherst regions of the map, you'll almost certainly not make it in before the night falls. And unlike in Skyrim, nights in DD are DARK. You won't see a thing unless you shine on it with something and lanterns give you just a few meters visibility. Nights are super dangerous with extra/tougher monsters being spawned and you just don't want to be out at night. I remember when I met my first Wywern it was in the middle of the night and boy were we screwed. There are actually small camps in the farther regions where you can get before sunset and spend the night in safety, but you have to find them first.

Fighting. Enemy lock would be kinda handy, but you can do well without it. Each class/vocation has its set of skills and you can change those classes at will in the capital city. Passive skills transfer between classes so it is good idea to try them all to make your unique build. Fighting skills are well varied and while the number of skills you can select for use in combat is fairly limited (3 for most weapon types), there are some powerful combinations to be found for many different playstyles. Skyrim has absolutely nothing on DD in terms of combat and its dragons look like a big joke next to drakes, wyrms, wyverns of DD. And you can climb the bigger bastards and those who can fly will often get aloft with you on their back a will try to get you fall. Combat is simply fun and downright epic when it comes to bigger enemies.

Crafting is an area of the game I am not quite happy with. All the equipment and enhancing are great, but there are literally tons of garbage lying just about everywhere and if you won't pick it up, your pawns likely will. It as annoying as it is useless since most of the stuff you can create you will never use. This area definitely needs a lot of cuts and streamlining.

And that's about it. Capcom should streamline the whole crafting side of things, level-up the graphics detail and get pawns more variety in dialogues (see Zero Punctuation). Music is great, so is combat and overal atmosphere. You just have to be patient with the begining, those who hurry into action will spend too much time getting to it to be happy with the game.

Dogma has a bunch of aforementioned loose ends, so it does not work as well as a whole as Dark Souls do, but if they take care of that with Deep Down (I am already pretty sure they didn't with Dark Arisen), the result is going to be pretty damn awesome.
  29. Apr 16, 2013
    Awesome game! GET IT!
    Good character creation. Little tough at first but gets easy. Combat system awesome! You dont go solo as you can get 3 followers to help and they are not dull with no talking as they do say helpful things to guide you if your new.
  30. Mar 19, 2013
    Hardcore action RPG. Brilliant game. Great combat mechanics. Brilliant Griffin/boss fights! Enigmatic plot. One game I bothered to complete and let's face it not so many games are worth the effort these days. Bout to man up for a second playthrough!

1. Aug 13, 2012
    This adventurer relished Dragon's Dogma's old-school sensibilities, which make it familiar territory that is expected on a PC instead of something from Capcom on the PS3. As players romp across a wide-open world filled with danger, titanic ruins and wonders, they'll realize that it's a rough, rewarding world, though its hardened edges may not be to everyone's cup of tea.
    Neither Monster Hunter nor Dark Souls--but a great combination of the two.
  3. Jul 9, 2012
    The graphics aren't state-of-the-art and the story isn't that well-told. That said, spectacular combat and a wonderful environment to wander around in save Dragon's Dogma from the purgatory of mediocrity.