4.7

1. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke is awesome. That's it.
    Of course with all the hype that's being going on and the blindeness of the reviewers (some of them) contributes for an overall thinking that this game is bad.
    This game is not crysis is not COD is not Halo, neither it is Uncharted or even any other shooter out there. It may be different for the iGNorant reviewers but for me it's a piece of art that I will
    always keep standing by in my brain.
    Sure it isn't the sequel that the fans have been anticipating but it's fun and it's good.Awesome.
    (written by a guy who likes COD)
  2. Jun 17, 2011
    Totally undeserving of such low scores, especially with so many uninventive and tedious sequels getting 9's or higher. Honestly, more varied and fun, though perhaps not as polished as most AAA shooters of this generation.
  3. Jun 15, 2011
    The game really was everything what i expected and even more. Gameplay is good, maps are good and characters are good. I thought that only 2 guns with you would be weird in Duke but actually i didn't even notice that when playing because the shooting was so fun and worked so well. Beer, steroids, monster, puzzles, "little duke", etc worked well and was fun. Those who want graphics or just multiplayer can eat bubblegum but those who want good singleplayer first time in years: it's time to kick ass! Expand
  4. Jun 15, 2011
    I really enjoyed it... isn't that what its all about (probably not these days). there is plenty to enjoy, like the small and simple distractions that break up the game nicely and prevent it from being just another mindless shooter. yeah ok the graphics suck big time...BIG TIME (hence the 9) but just as i enjoyed things like portal, crysis 2 and COD... i enjoyed this too. I look forward to the sequel....

To all the haters (not the ones who gave it a fair shot and honestly don't like it) "if i wanted to listen to an **** hole, i would have farted" (duke quote haha)
  5. Jun 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers. Duke seems to me very successful. Lots of mini-games, riding in different vehicles, the old weapons and much more. Graphics are like me, although it's not Crysis, but I can not say that it was ugly. The whole fun of this game comes out the hero of all heroes in the lead role with his witty message. Collapse
  6. Jun 15, 2011
    I've got to admit first that I followed this game for it's entire 14 years of development. However I'd like to point out that I'm also aware that this Build of the game didn't take 14 years to make, it took 5. Remember that DNF was scrapped several times until it's final attempt to make it.

That said, I went on to play the game for the first time with really high expectations, the highest
    possible. And yes, the game didn't meet them, of course. Nothing can meet such hype and expectation built for over a decade.

Still the game managed to keep me entertained throughout it's entirety and even had me rolling on the floor laughing. The game IS fun. You only need to know that this isn't supposed to be the second coming of Christ. It's a funny enjoyable game.

It has it's flaws, yes. Like the linearity, sometimes empty rooms, and so on. Still, for me, the good out weighed the bad. I'm one of the lucky people that had fun with the game and didn't finish it in disappointment. I'd like to say thank you to everyone that made this game possible. I sure had a blast playing it and I know I'll keep on trying to find more secrets and references. Get the game! Don't let the bad reviews discourage you. It's cool to talk trash about Duke Forever on every review, but you don't have to be like that. You have a mind of your own. Try the game, and then make up your own opinion about it. HAVE FUN!
  7. Jun 17, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever was such a fun game, I really don't get why many reviewers decided to hate on it. There are a few problems, make no mistake - mainly the 2007-2008 level graphics, the fact that Duke can, for some reason, carry only 2 guns, regenerating health instead of health packs. Everything else, though, is excellent, ESPECIALLY if you enjoy Duke Nukem humour. If you do, this game is a true feast. The jokes are second to none, the game just keeps a smile on your face for extended periods of time.

There's a LOT of attention to detail (pretty entertaining Duke Nukem burger cartons in one of the stages, for instance). The game offers great variety, it's not all shooting, there are puzzles, there's some first-person platforming (nothing too difficult), a lot of things are covered. The stages are quite varied, both in terms of design and in terms of what you have to do - there are driving stages, water stages, stages where you are small and have to fight your ways through rats or even big aliens, a stage set like a Western movie, etc. There are plenty of entertaining mini-games like pool, weight lifting, pinball, etc. The boss battles are quite epic and intense.

I guess the game is a bit on the easy side on Normal difficulty, but then again, you're Duke Nukem, it's natural that you kick epic amounts of ass. The story is nothing special, of course, but the game is all about the humour. Duke Nukem is better than ever, I'd say Jon St. John's voice is even more badass 15 years later!
  8. Jun 16, 2011
    the game has an odd low-fi look, which suits the gameplay perfectly. piles of offensive jokes, funniest game ive played in a long time. multi-player feels like the stuff i liked so much 10 years ago prior to mainstream gaming, and single-player reminds me of the confused wandering looking for switches to open doors, while blasting brainless baddies with pig heads and such. this game is completely stuck in time. cant think of any game that's delivered such an entirely dated, hilarious and enjoyable experience. love it, gearbox and pitchford forever! Expand
  9. Jun 16, 2011
    To the Post from SgtFlip: Your posting in PS3 about your XBOX Experience. Ur and idiot. Im a critic and have the game on all three Systems.

One of the best games ever. Yes the long load times makes me want to play it on pc but after a few updates the game will be fixed. You people need to go bash games worth bashing or at least before you right a review play the game and beat it then
    wait a week before bashing it. If you dont like it then dont review it. Hail to the King Baby Expand
  10. Jun 16, 2011
    I really think a lot of the negative reviews with this game stem from the development of the game taking "14 years". In reality Gearbox has had the game rights for a couple years and I think the time they had with it they did a phenomenal job. This game pays homage to how gaming was back in the day and adds a fresh layer polish. The games graphics look nice, not the best of this generation but definitely better than some. Haze comes to mind a crappier game than this one I enjoyed playing this game from start to finish as Duke shoots aliens along with his one liners. My favorite one liner comes from Duke Nukem and this game brings back all those memories. I think all the reviewers are to used to all the Modern Warfares and what not to really kick back and enjoy this game. This game is a fresh blast from the past and definitely a welcome break from the shovelware that developers are kicking out now from year to year. Give the Duke a chance and to be honest Duke is the first alien ass kicker on the scene way before Master Chief or Isaac Clarke. So go out and pick up a copy because its time to kick ass and chew bubble gum and I'm fresh out of bubble gum. Expand
  11. Jun 18, 2011
    Jinak lidi co minou Dukena delaj velkou chybu. Tu hru by minout nikdo nemel, protoze uz dlouho jsem se u FPS takhle skvele nebavil. Ta hra je vazne promakana. Pokud vahate tak do nej jdete, litovat nebudete.

Je to jako pest do oka mezi tim mainstreamem co dnes vychazí. Grafika neni spatna, hratelnost je skvela, variabilita misí a prostredi neuveritelna. Hra snad
    neobsahuje zadny hluchy nudny misto a Duke furt na neco hlásí. A kolikrat se pristihnete, ze se uprimne smejete. Hra obsahuje celkem slusny mnozstvi miniher a ruznyho odreagaovaní jako hledani ego veci apod... V kolika hrach si sednete na kopírku a nechate si oskenovat prdel nebo si ho nechate vykourit skrz prepazku na zachodech (ala bloodhoud gang :D) atd, atd (tehle veci je tam vazne mooooc)...

Netusim proc tu hru vsichni topi. Ja rikam uprimne a s nadhledem nekolik dni po dohrani, ze ta hra je proste skvela, a obsahuje spoutu bonusu. Takze Já sem dostal vic než sem kdy vůbec Ä
  12. Jul 30, 2011
    This game is fantastic, but with a warning to any who may consider buying it; Please realize this game was developed using old development techniques. Seriously, this game is a very good throwback, and it's humor and pop culture references make up for it's limited gameplay.
  13. Jul 1, 2011
    First of all, load time are not bad!!! Sure their a little bit long, but unless your dying repeatedly the game only has to load after every main stage. And besides, when it does load the screen shows you very important/humorous text info about the game that you otherwise wouldn't know, such as "Avoid being shot to stay alive"... Ok, that's one of the useless ones : } Anyways, even though the shooting is not comparable with games like COD or BFBC, top notch shooting was obviously not the primary focus of the creators. Instead, what you do see in Duke Nukem Forever is a very creative and entertaining story-line which features a wide variety of boss battles, Duke lines, environments, and babes. Honestly, for the average gamer that loves online shooters and playin' with their pals, Duke Nukem Forever should be purchased for around 25-30 bucks if possible. However, for true Duke Nukem fans that enjoy taking a stroll down memory lane with the original Duke voice and Weaponry (Freeze ray took me way back) then dropping 60 smackers is no problemo. Now go get some! Expand
  14. Jun 19, 2011
    Well I guess we 're all here to voice our opinions. To me Duke Nukem even in the era in which he was born into 3D, was a B-Movie Character. The Machette of his generation. A SuperFly machismo stereo type born to do one thing. Say one liners and kick alien ass. In my mind he was always a hodge podge of different genre's thrown together. So in a way it seems appropriate and inevitable that any game designed for him would be more of the same. His comical edge than some seriously involving storyline. His sarcastic one liners, borderline humor and offensiveness are what made him who he was. And without it frankly the Duke Nukem 3D was just another doom rip off. The only technical achievements that duke offered originally to the FPS was the humor, Jetpacks, Holodukes, pipe bombs and video screens which made for some great Multiplayer fun.

The point being that he was never high art. And he was never serious. He was fun. Outrageous and a sexist, macho stereotype.

It seems appropriate to me that he be a bit retro and the B movie star of this generation as well. And like all B-Movie's you either love the genre or you hate it. Like Japanime', Zombie movies or Exploitation films.

You love the genre because of it's underdog appeal. And it's low brow, common denominator mentality. I don't think anyone is wrong or right here. We are all entitled to our opinion. But I will say this. Not every game has to be high art. There is a place for Duke in all his cheeziness, jaggedness and absurdity. He fills a hole for me just as much now as he did then. He makes me laugh. Even as the Critics judge with high level expectations. That is exactly his purpose. To not take things seriously. I am blown out on dark, brooding games that take themselves way too seriously. I need a light hearted, over the top, in your face, less than graphically stellar experience to remind me that the gaming world has become too darn serious and depressing. In a generation where video game realism and killing enemies seems to be the norm. And technical achievement seems to be the benchmark. I just want to have my silly, absurd, fun. And for me this is the hole duke fills. With all his quirks. Extremes and genre overlaps. It's what I like about the thing. You can turn it on. Start playing all kinds of silliness.

Plus I get to play the Hollywood multiplayer level from the original. Which in and of itself is worth the price of admission for me. Brings back allot of great memories.

I think we need more Duke to bring a fresh outlook and lighten the arena. And if nothing else. For whatever game developers hate this game. I ask you to please show us how it's done right then. Create something that's just silly fun with adult B Humor. That can add some originality to the gaming world for us over 20's. Which has become way too serious and generic for my taste.
  15. Jun 26, 2011
    I thought the demo was fun, but the game is even better, something reminiscent of days gone by..full of action and wit. This is a clever production, thanks, people. Most stuff today is so boring, I rarely finish the productions. They end up sitting in my game rack collecting dust. This game is simple, gratifying and just kick-ass FUN. Yahoo again !!!!
  16. Jun 28, 2011
    The fact that this game received a 4.4 in user score ratings is what is wrong with the gaming world today. People are so uptight, and expect waaayyy too much from games when they don't even make them. Duke Nukem was very enjoyable to play and was what I expected because the point of Duke Nukem is to be "cheesy." Everyone needs to pull the stick out of their "you know whats" or stop playing games altogether and rid the world of their complaining! Expand
  17. Jul 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "This'll be interesting." was my first thought when putting the disc into the drive of my Xbox. This proved to be very true, although not in the way I had expected it to be. Duke Nukem Forever is a game that captures very much the essence of Duke Nukem 3D, it is indeed the same Duke we're about to meet. You really don't need more than a few minutes into the intro to Expand
  18. May 28, 2012
    fun gameplay,great variety,lots of personallity take it from someone who isnt judging it based on the previous game in my top 3 games of all time what annoys me most about the other reviews is that this game has a metascore equivalent to or lower than other games that are scored low simply because their mechanics as a whole dont work at all take the history channel civil war secret missions for example with a 52 a game that is accused of simply not working and at the very least this game playes well with little or no glitches Expand
  19. Jan 21, 2013
    Oh Duke, what have they done to you? Duke wouldn't waste his time playing with himself but I'm not Duke, I'm just an old gamer who remembers the former glory of the man who liked to kick ass and chew bubblegum but was sadly out of gum. Having said that there is still some real fun to be had here, but it's lost in a sparse world of bad programming and dated graphics... But.. I loved the Duke so I give the man a posthumous 10. The King is dead, Hail to the king baby. Expand
  20. Jun 14, 2011

1. It's true that there are plenty of superior overall shooters out there that'd murder for a character with a quarter of the charisma Duke Nukem oozes. He's a dinosaur; a two-dimensional mound of muscles with a gun. But that's the joke. Duke Nukem Forever really is a several-year old game masquerading as a new release. [August 2011 p67]
  2. Forever eschews any hope for a decent story or interesting gameplay in favor of shoving as many boobs in our face as possible. As a result, the game comes up short in every way possible.
  3. Jul 25, 2011
    Plain and simple, Duke Nukem Forever suffers from being passed around the development table for too long without any updates to its core.