• Publisher: CCP
  • Release Date: May 14, 2013
6.1

1. May 14, 2013
    The game as a whole is great fun. Find a corp, run with a squad, this is where Dust 514 shines. Decisions and battles actually matter in this game.

Pros:
    Persistence
    Team Work Focused
    Real consequences for actions

Cons:
    Controls
  2. May 18, 2013
    DUST 514 is a mixed bag. On certain occasions, it will prove to be a fun and unique game on most occasions, it will feel like a chore to play. The game has it's enjoyable moments, but it's negative ones stand out far more. The balancing of much of the game's equipment helps cause this issue. Often times, you will feel like cannon fodder, who's sole purpose is for the enjoyment of DUST'sDUST 514 is a mixed bag. On certain occasions, it will prove to be a fun and unique game on most occasions, it will feel like a chore to play. The game has it's enjoyable moments, but it's negative ones stand out far more. The balancing of much of the game's equipment helps cause this issue. Often times, you will feel like cannon fodder, who's sole purpose is for the enjoyment of DUST's veteran players being helplessly slaughtered, with very little chance for resistance. Of course, the equipment isn't the sole reason for this imbalance. Older players have far more perks and skills, that can effortlessly beat a player with lower skill points, into brutal submission.

From my own personal experience, I started playing late into the closed beta. Very little has changed, in the balancing of the game. While many weapons have been weakened, in the process, several of the previously-weak weapons, have become overpowered. A perfect example of this is the Tactical Assault Rifle. The weapon quickly went from one of the least used weapons in the game, to one of the most common ones. It doesn't help, that only skilled players have access to it as well. Along with a grotesquely poor balancing, the game itself suffers from a myriad of technical issues; for example, character movement is often impeded by invisible 'bumps' in the terrain. That is only one of the many common glitches, found within the game.

For the most part, the game has solid mechanics, if not unconventional. Aiming is incredibly difficult at times, as it often feels wonky turning the camera. This is only made worse, through a hectic hail of gunfire and explosions. Hit detection is also another issue, as some shots quickly register, while others practically bounce off your opponent. Equipment is handled as an expendable kit. For every life you have, your equipment will be expended in your custom 'fit'. Customization of fits can become very deep, allowing for a high number of possible combinations. Unfortunately, as you lose your fit with every death, this can make certain matches unbelievably frustrating.

Spawning only to be killed repeatedly, without any chance for self-defense, can be very discouraging you not only lose your fit, but the value of your end-of-match reward becomes increasingly less; giving a poor amount of ISK (the games currency) and skill points. Because of poor match mechanics such as this, the game practically encourages the losing side to give up retreating into defensive sniping positions within their own spawn, as those who actually make an effort to try, are consistently penalized, by being camped by the enemy team.

Despite many of these glaring issues, DUST 514 is not objectively bad. The game itself is still under development, and will continue to do so, for at least ten more years. CCP, the developers of DUST, have acknowledged many of these issues, and are trying to collaborate with the community to fix them. This doesn't exactly excuse the quality of the launch-day product, but it certainly softens its negative condition. While the game may declare itself to be 'finished', DUST is still very much a game in beta. Many speculate the sole reason it was released officially, was so it could launched on day of 5/14/13. It wouldn't hard to argue that it was a petty-marketing stunt.

DUST happens to be integrated into another game, called EVE online. The two communities can only interact in a very limited form, at the moment. But that is subject to change, further into development. Regardless, this has helped to provide most of the game's hype. I myself was initially intrigued by this concept. DUST's current implementation of this integration is currently very rough, as much of the game is. Yet, as it stands, it has a decent base for it.

For many people, the game's steep learning curve, (for a shooter), along with it's imbalanced and unpolished gameplay, will drive them away. For the few who do stay, they will find a frustrating yet somewhat enjoyable experience. The game is free, so it wouldn't be too difficult to try it. With all of its issues, DUST is still an endearing game a pure and utter vexation of a game, that just so happens to have an incredible amount of potential.
  3. May 24, 2013
    Its free to play, it doesn't really require reviews. Get in and make up your own mind!. And ignore the crap about pay-to-win. Its not true.

Thats being said heres my opinion: A potentially great game mired by the developer mismanaging expectations and playing it safe CCP are trying to appeal to too many people at once and as a result appealing to a very small minority of eve nutters

Thats being said heres my opinion:

A potentially great game mired by the developer mismanaging expectations and playing it safe CCP are trying to appeal to too many people at once and as a result appealing to a very small minority of eve nutters with PS3s and MAG refugees. CCP also seems content to fiddle with small details rather than finishing thier obviously half done game (and as a result often break more than they fix). CCP has also poorly managed the PR behind its microtransaction model, allowing misinformation and rumour to penetrate even official reviews.

The Cons

Dust 514 also lacks immersion and an open world feel that Eve does so well. Despite the gorgeous mercenary quarter environment, as a player you are inexplicably teleported to and from battlefields with little explanation about how you get there. It all feels half assed and lazy. The game as it stands is a increadibly cut down shooter, with very little to do beyond fight on the same four to six small maps and theorycraft "killer fits". The games modes are lack luster and unexciting. Even the new planetary conquest mode is just more fighting on the same battlefields with ownership of those same maps being ascribed on a database somewere.

The Pros.

The light at the end of the tunnel with this title is that it is free to play (why not spend a few hours playing it, ignore the reviews and give it a try!). Development has been promised to continue for 10 years of free expannsions! Eve when it started 10 years ago was a heap of rubbish too. Now its actually a fun game to play. The gun play, when not being destroyed by development is actually rather good. You do often feel though that the aiming and controls need work.

To enjoy this game your going to have to be future thinking, and focus on what this game could be. Rather than what it is now. That being said as it stands this game is a 6/7 at best.
  4. Apr 21, 2015
    A lot of potential - little to show for it. The truth is the game is undercooked. Graphics resemble those of Unreal Tournament 2004. 2004! The game does use Unreal Engine but it utilises it very poorly. Those big-looking maps designed for 16 vs 16 battles feel like your average shooter dressed in a lot of shiny metal from the future. The character models (dropsuits) and weapons have a niceA lot of potential - little to show for it. The truth is the game is undercooked. Graphics resemble those of Unreal Tournament 2004. 2004! The game does use Unreal Engine but it utilises it very poorly. Those big-looking maps designed for 16 vs 16 battles feel like your average shooter dressed in a lot of shiny metal from the future. The character models (dropsuits) and weapons have a nice touch, but when it comes down to effects even aliens won't be able to graps what they've done - granade explosions and... any other explosions for that matter look like a better version of the CS 1.6 granade explosion. Controls feel clunky especially when it comes to vehicles. The coolest thing about the game is when you jump off of the dropship and you can really feel the pressure of being deployed right at the front lines... only to find out that the few seconds in the air were the best thing the game has to offer. Expand
  5. May 15, 2013
    This game, just like anything CCP will ever make, has great promise. Unfortunately, it was released way too soon (even after having been announced on August 18, 2009). I don't know what CCP was doing with the nearly four intervening years, but they certainly weren't playtesting their own game on anything but their RAM-equipped developer hardware. The game is all but unplayable using eitherThis game, just like anything CCP will ever make, has great promise. Unfortunately, it was released way too soon (even after having been announced on August 18, 2009). I don't know what CCP was doing with the nearly four intervening years, but they certainly weren't playtesting their own game on anything but their RAM-equipped developer hardware. The game is all but unplayable using either controller or mouse, and this is before you consider the unspeakably bad framerate you experience whenever you commit the sin of merely look towards an empty battlefield. Worse than this is how obvious it is that they are already upscaling the game's resolution from something pitiful.

These criticisms aside, I would go so far as to say this game is important to the industry. I am not aware of another game that attempts to merge two games from the same universe in such a way that adds such depth to both. Having the fortune of being a CCP customer in the past, I am completely confident that CCP will iterate the hell out of this game (and for free, no less) while continuously working to fix what needs improvement. 9/10 for CCP, 5/10 for releasing this late-stage beta as a supposed "AAA title".
  6. Jul 7, 2013
    I like sitting down to play a multiplayer FPS and shoot people from around the world, and Dust 514 let's me do that for free. The MMO elements are nice, the shooting is tight, and it can be a lot of fun. The main problem with the game is that it's just another multiplayer FPS. Yeah it let's you create a character that suits your own play style and let's you approach any situation as youI like sitting down to play a multiplayer FPS and shoot people from around the world, and Dust 514 let's me do that for free. The MMO elements are nice, the shooting is tight, and it can be a lot of fun. The main problem with the game is that it's just another multiplayer FPS. Yeah it let's you create a character that suits your own play style and let's you approach any situation as you see fit, but the problem is the gameplay is about as generic as it gets. It's fun to play and has some nice maps, but the graphics are dated and the action familiar. I appreciate that this isn't a pay to win kind of game. If this weren't free to play I'm not sure I could've recommended it, but it is free to play. So if you're looking for something to scratch that multiplayer itch give Dust 514 a look. The fact that it's fun and only costs you $0.00 to get makes it worth a look. Expand
  7. May 15, 2013
    Such wasted potential. A lack of maps and game-modes, horrible controls, blurry graphics, and terrible weapon balance. Will the game eventually get better? Of course, but the game is now out of beta and in full release so there is no point holding back anymore. Everyone should download this game and give it a shot (it is free after all), but CCP blew it on this release.

All that being

All that being said, the game is somewhat fun if played in a squad. The gameplay is full of hiccups but for the most part it's polished. I am only giving this game as high a rating as I am because of it's "potential" for future growth, which right now seems pretty bleak considering that this last patch was a downgrade in terms of gameplay and weapon balance.
  8. Jul 29, 2013
    This is a pretty good game. The controls feel a bit awkward at times and it is not a 10/10 game, but it is a good way to kill some time and it is free so if you hate it, It's not like you lose anything.
  9. Jun 25, 2014
    Dust 514 is very hard game to review, the game tries hard to balance Unpaying Players from Item-Buying Players but at the same time it tries to compesate the Item-Buying Player because they spend money on this Tier 2 or 3 weapon or this modified Tank, Dust 514 was advertised as an MMOFPS (ala Planetside) but because of the PS3 hardware, the game just became somewhat BattlefieldDust 514 is very hard game to review, the game tries hard to balance Unpaying Players from Item-Buying Players but at the same time it tries to compesate the Item-Buying Player because they spend money on this Tier 2 or 3 weapon or this modified Tank, Dust 514 was advertised as an MMOFPS (ala Planetside) but because of the PS3 hardware, the game just became somewhat Battlefield like-Free-to-Play where you are going from battle to battle gaining Credits and XP, The main point of the game is/was the connectivity within DUST 514 and EVE Online as you are a Mercenary working for the Players of EVE Online, however, this connectivity is only possible if you have friends playing EVE since you need to be contacted by a EVE player to get major EVE contracts for you or your Guild, if not, you will spend most of your time on Generic Quick Skirmishes or Factional Battles in which your victory or defeat doenst affect the EVE Universe at all.

The Gameplay is a mix bag, i spend more than 30 hours into the game and for every battle my team won, i lose three because of balance issues the game have, in the game you have two types of currency, AUR (Real Money) and ISK (virtual Money), the reason why the developers said that this game was not a "Pay to Win" was because with AUR you can only brought different skinned Tier 2 and 3 weapons and vehicles sets (The Vehicle,His Gun and different Skin), however. with AUR you can also buy temporal XP and ISK Boosters that multipliers the amount of Money and XP you gain after a battle.

The Game has a Skill tree system that you upgrades with XP, however, you need ISK to unlock most of the Upgrades, the Skill Tree is very specific in what you want to upgrade, it can be from your general stats to the damages certain type of weapons can cause and his Magazine limit, is very specific but annoying since the upgrades can get very expensive to unlock or to upgrade, you will find yourself saving XP and Money to get the ability to use Tier 2 and 3 weapons and later Dropsuits.

But even after all, you will find some entertaiment in DUST 514, plus if you have friends or a Guild you can have a lot of fun playing this PS3 Free-to-Play.
  10. May 15, 2013
    This game is average at best. It is a free to play but pay to win type of game. Avoid it unless you want to be paying $60-$200 in order to survive. It is free to download though so I say give it a try. Who knows, you may just love it.
  11. May 16, 2013
    I am a huge fan of PlanetSide 2. I can't see a way that Dust is better than PS2, but it is a great F2P game that will worth your time.
    Pros:
    1.Team Work
    2. sound
    3. Not Pay2Win
    4. Fun gameplay

cons:
    1. Too complicated
    2. Controls
  12. May 24, 2013
    I had very high hopes for this game, having followed it since it was annoucement way back in 2009 as I feel the PS3 really needs an FPS like this. Unfortunately this is not the game that many people are hoping for and there are two main reasons for that.

First of all the very heart of the game, the shooting, is bland and soulless. It lacks any identity of its own, hovering awkwardly somewhere between the fast paced Call of Duty and the more deliberate Killzone 3. Most FPS's can hold my attention for a short while but within three days of joining the early beta I was completely bored. I returned to the game more recently hoping that the constant stream of updates would have made a difference but I could honestly see little improvement.

The second major issue I had with Dust is with the equipment system. I consider myself to be more than competant with an FPS but I frequently found myself in situations where I could not triumph over opponents simply because they had better weaponry than me. Skill became irrelevant as I was repeatedly obliterated by players who either had a lot of time on their hands to earn XP or simply bought all of their weapons. This is a real shame as the equipment system is deep and holds a lot of promise for those willing to invest their time

In my opinion this game does not deserve any amount of long term loyalty, however the game is free to play so if you are still interested you should give it a go, just be aware that you will need to invest money in your equipment to have a rewarding experience.

It is also worth noting that the graphics of the game do not even approach the levels seen in any of the teaser trailers, but are at least functional.
  13. May 14, 2013
    Its a very nice game a very nice improvement from the Beta

Its a very nice game a very nice improvement from the Beta

but some weapons dont have a good aim and also there's alot of bugs and lack of maps dont know about EVE Online has those maps but yeah) it almost everything are microtransactions and the weapons are consumables like the dropsuits, but hey its free and if u like games like Battlefield and Planetside 2, then u should totally try out this game especially since it can go up to 16 vs 16. But this game is almost Pay to Win because the advanced/mid items and consumables involves Aurums, which u can get more in real cash.
    Overall this game has a lot of potential and since i heard that all their expansions will be free then i see this game can even be better then the Planetside series
  14. May 15, 2013
    DUST 514 is schizophrenic. It has awoken, nominally, on May 14th, not knowing who or what it is supposed to be, and as a result, is an unfortunately mediocre experience. Before I get into the meat of the discussion, let me give the following disclaimer:

I want to love this game, and I want to see it succeed. The PS3 was, in my opinion, one of the worst decisions. Not because I

I want to love this game, and I want to see it succeed.

The PS3 was, in my opinion, one of the worst decisions. Not because I dislike the console, or Sony, or because I prefer other platforms. It is at the end of its development cycle and lifespan, with the PS4 on the near horizon. More importantly, the core audience of people who would be receptive to a game like DUST don't own a PS3, or weren't willing to purchase one on the hope they would like one free to play game. I think it is fair to state that a hardcore, complexity-craving, long term audience is most likely to be found on the PC platform, a platform which is incidentally the most receptive to a FPS game.

The game on the PS3, with controller or KB and mouse just does not handle well. The movement is not visceral, the gunplay is stiff, and you feel as though you're struggling against the controls rather than the opponent you're fighting.

The game is set out to be a sort of a hybrid of MMO and FPS, and it excels at neither. Character progression in an FPS doesn't work in an MMO styled system, and it shows in DUST. Your starting mercenary will scantly be able to spec into a worthwhile build with the 500,000 SP that you are granted. You can specialize into a decent weapon or suit; not both simultaneously. This as been somewhat addressed with the introduction of the instant battle academy,a special match making queue for "new" players, but the problem runs deeper. Being objectively weak compared to older players is fine in say, EVE Online, because you don't contend with those players until you're ready, and EVE functions on an asymmetrical basis, where a dedicated swarm of new pilots could easily topple a more established player or players. That doesn't work in a 32 v 32 setting, simply put. If the other team has an SP advantage, they are objectively better suited to victory than you, something which does not sit well in the palate of an FPS player, where skill, tactics, and reflex should determine the winner.

Additionally, weapons have vertical progression. The militia variant is outclassed by standard, standard outclassed by advanced, and advanced outclassed by prototype. The seeming variety in the weapon and skill trees than is little more than flat upgrades with two possible "side" upgrades, usually an assault or tactical variant.

With the release of the game and the addition of Scrambler rifles, Flaylocks, and a few other toys, the weapon diversity has improved, but it is still the case that a the assault rifles rule supreme. They offer more versatility and damage than any other weapon class, and this imbalance stifles the unique and innovative weapon categories that CCP built, developed, deployed, and then decidedly handicapped.

Though the game doesn't have a class system, it does have specializations you as a player will move into, basically: Light, Medium, or Heavy, with sub groupings, such as Scout, Logistics, and Assault. Simply put, it's a long long road to end up into any reasonable specialization, which would be okay if you wouldn't be fighting players in these roles in the more meaningful factional warfare and planetary conquest game modes (which don't offer disparate gameplay from instant action, I might add).

Vehicles are present, though the ceiling to access them is quite high, except for a light scout vehicle which every player may employ for free. It is a testament to the poor fundamental gunplay that in public matches, it is often more effective to ram opponents to death with a free car than shoot them with the gun you've spent 500k SP to get to a playable level. Tanks have received a much needed buff, but along with the consistently nonperforming dropships, are basically only playable as luxury items a single HAV or Dropship loss can cost as much as 10 matches worth of rewards to replace.

I would continue, but am rapidly approaching the limit for this review. I will finish by stating the following:

DUST 514 tries to be an MMO with the depth and complexity of EVE, as well as a tactical "battlefield" shooter such as BF3 or Planetside, and in doing so excels at neither.

The gunplay will leave you wont to hop onto a more polished game, and MMO aspect is still shallow compared to EVE.

The reason I give this game a very very generous score of 7 is because of the promise. It is my hope that a lukewarm reception will for CCP to look long and hard at this game, and create a new niche that thrives on both the hardcore nature of their player base, buthas rewarding, enjoyable, and meaningful core gameplay.

Thanks for your time, and I hope this guides your decision before deciding to reward CCP with your hard-earned money.
  15. Jun 24, 2014
    I really wanted to love this game, to get immersed - take a persona to a sci-fi battlefield and have fun, but like Eve the reality is that I might as well be banging my head against a wall. For all its excellent visual design and promise, the game amounts to PvP deathmatch monotony with the added kick to the nads of robbing you of your equipment on death. Several months after closed betaI really wanted to love this game, to get immersed - take a persona to a sci-fi battlefield and have fun, but like Eve the reality is that I might as well be banging my head against a wall. For all its excellent visual design and promise, the game amounts to PvP deathmatch monotony with the added kick to the nads of robbing you of your equipment on death. Several months after closed beta (a frustrating exercise that allowed me to do very little except get sniped by some jackass every 5 seconds) the Academy arrived, allowing me briefly to enjoy some smaller, manageable battles. Soon after, I was thrown back into the main game, where the snipers had gone, and was constantly being run over by some **** in an armoured car. Uninstalled, gladly. Will give Project Legion a go if/when it appears. Expand
  16. Jun 17, 2013
    This game is ok. It offers no new experiences in online competition, but does offer some fun gameplay. My main issue is how under-powered you are at the start of the game compared to those who pour money into the game. No doubt the guns are bad and take a bunch of bullets to drop and enemy. For an action, future shooter, the gameplay is slow and lacks much progression.

There is a clear

There is a clear lack of game-modes and limited amounts of variety. I do not think this is a generally good game, decent at most. Free-to-play is not an excuse for bad quality. Unfortunately, that's what this game is. Bad quality and rushed.
  17. Jun 17, 2013
    not familiar with the eve universe, but dust 514 is a good starting ground for even more potential, although I found the interface and customization a but messy and some maps very plain the gameplay and toned graphic's make dust 514 a playable fun fps free to play game, which has alot of potential to evolve
  18. May 16, 2013
    The games fps mechanics are really bad in combination with the lag and bad hit detection. CCP has sooo much on their plate just in terms of fixes, that I am not sure they can pull it off in the next year or whenever they make the game good again.

There is so much positive but too much negative that after playing the beta for a year I am now (after release) not playing anymore, im just sitting in the mcc gaining free sp untill it gets good again.

Hope this game gets gud before ps4 or it is a gonner.
  19. Jul 16, 2013
    Dust 514 has the potential to be a lot of fun. It's a free, well-made FPS, with a lot going on. Unfortunately, there's little incentive to play it for non-EVE players other than love of the genre. The graphics are decent, the controls are solid in my opinion, it's increasingly difficult to take someone down, but that seems to be a weird trend in shooters these days. My biggest issue isDust 514 has the potential to be a lot of fun. It's a free, well-made FPS, with a lot going on. Unfortunately, there's little incentive to play it for non-EVE players other than love of the genre. The graphics are decent, the controls are solid in my opinion, it's increasingly difficult to take someone down, but that seems to be a weird trend in shooters these days. My biggest issue is that, when deciding on what to play between this and most games, I'd rather just play something else. Expand
  20. Jul 21, 2013
    It's a solid RPG based shooter, but expect nothing more.

It's a solid RPG based shooter, but expect nothing more.

CCP has done an average job at converting the universe of EVE into a massive F2P shooter known as DUST 514. Core mechanics are present in the game: Strafing, grenade cooking, aiming down sights, and sprinting. This game also introduces an RPG like element in the game so players can spend Skill Points earned during battles into skills like Weaponry, which gives access to better handheld weapons like Assault Rifles or Mass Drivers (Grenade launchers.) Or maybe the player would like to start wrecking the battlefield in a more menacing way, speccing into tanks. Or maybe the player is one of those selfless kind and ops to spec into medical gear to revive and heal teammates. The skill system gives you a blank canvas and says, "well, how the hell do you wanna play this game? You wanna snipe while having an active scanner to find and call out enemies or do you wanna be in a Heavy Suit mowing down baddies? Well?" The choice the game gives you on how to play this game is...dare I say... astronomical.

It does not contort to class based shooting, i.e. medics, snipers, heavies, but rather, it conforms to more of a hybrid shooter. It all sounds good on paper... however the premise ultimately falls flat.

Skill Points is VERY hard to obtain in this game. Playing a game only nets you around 6 thousand skill points a game, assuming your on top of your game and the game lasts less than 15 minutes. Oh yeah, the matches here are very, very long. (but it wont be if your kicking ass) But being on top of your game means you would have to beat all the explosive BS and cheapness associated with this game along with the unfair matchmaking for new players. Yes thats right, oft times you will end up going against people 10x stronger than you and thats done of purpose, there is no custom search for equal skill level in this game. it just throws you into a random match and says welcome to New Eden.

Speaking of new Eden, the maps in this game are a fresh of breath air...at first. As you continually play this game (if your a masochist) you'll notice that maps are just recycled over and over with no real good chokepoint spots or memorable locations, it's just ultimately bland.

I wont even go over balance issues, you can go check out their forums for that.

Again, while this is free to play, there are a massive amount of bugs still present in this game. It's playable, but expect nothing more than just a RPG Shooter, cause thats exactly what it sounds like, nothing more, nothing less.
  21. May 21, 2013
    It's a typical FPS that tries to be different but flaws in one major area... bullet damage it's uneven it takes one to two shots for a sniper, yet about a full clip with the assault rifle. The game would be fun if they would have only evened out the weapons a bit.
  22. Oct 26, 2013
    ok i'm changing my review of this game from 10 to 6. why? well here's something i realised. it lacks content! i've been playing this game since closed beta and it's only turned out to be dissapointing. you know when the game got the uprising update and was officially released i was expecting all or at least MOST the content to be in the game. they promised many new weapons, dropsuits,ok i'm changing my review of this game from 10 to 6. why? well here's something i realised. it lacks content! i've been playing this game since closed beta and it's only turned out to be dissapointing. you know when the game got the uprising update and was officially released i was expecting all or at least MOST the content to be in the game. they promised many new weapons, dropsuits, vehicles like new assault rifles types which, oh god this game desperately needs. i think they only have one or two different assault rifles which is terrible! the devs have promised new content with patch updates, but so far there have been three updates with NOTHING. i've given up on this dissapointing game and i'm sure everyone else will soon. Expand
  23. May 6, 2014
    A persistent game with great customization. Easily one of the most ambitious titles ever on console. needs compartmentalized team communication, bigger battles, more game modes and slightly better framerate in close firefights but the foundation is solid. If you liked MAG this could be a worthy predecessor if it improves.
  24. May 25, 2013
    When I played this game's open beta, I was noticed a LOT of issues in the game. Now that the game is out, I notice some improvements to the game, but problems still exist. First of all, the update time is completely unacceptable. I don't know if its my internet or not, but it shouldn't take a game 5 hours to update! The guns in the game are under-powered and takes forever to kill anotherWhen I played this game's open beta, I was noticed a LOT of issues in the game. Now that the game is out, I notice some improvements to the game, but problems still exist. First of all, the update time is completely unacceptable. I don't know if its my internet or not, but it shouldn't take a game 5 hours to update! The guns in the game are under-powered and takes forever to kill another player even when their shields are down. I think this game would've been better as a PC exclusive instead of the PS3. Might not be the EVE game we were hoping for, but at least its something. Expand
  25. Dec 19, 2013
    Dust 514 has a problem. It tries to do too much at once. Being a good shooter and being free-to-play just doesn't work for this game. It's a shame, as it has so much potential.
  26. Feb 24, 2014
    this game has a lot to say about itself it is very ambitios and ah.............well mediocore experience really this game has 2 massive flaws
    1 is its lack of team balancing i found that alot of the times i was placed in a team of comlete newcomers going against dust veterans
    and 2 is the pay walls the best weapons are locked of by a seperate currency that you cant earn or if you can it would take years to earn enough for a isk booster
    this game has probably one of the most inovated battle mechaniques ever making it feel like a mix between killzone battlefield and planetside 2 and the graphics are amazing
    its key selling point was that the servers were linked up with EVES servers but really all it is is a excuse and backround for warbarge strikes and even then i rarely see those
    over all this game was very ambitious maybe with a team balancing feature more weapons for isk and remove the fact that you need 1million 599thousand isk just to setup a corperation and more game modes will bring this game up to scratch this game is good and the fact that its free to play means that its a good hour waster before a party or something
  27. Feb 24, 2015
    i had to make my rating a 5, i played the game months after it came out and then stopped it for a year. i played it this past weekend and it still has framrate issues and lag, which i just looked at a review from may 2013 stating the same thing. so 2 years and they still havent fixed the framrate or lag problems. i like this game and will still play it every so often but the only thingi had to make my rating a 5, i played the game months after it came out and then stopped it for a year. i played it this past weekend and it still has framrate issues and lag, which i just looked at a review from may 2013 stating the same thing. so 2 years and they still havent fixed the framrate or lag problems. i like this game and will still play it every so often but the only thing saving this game is that it is free to play. Expand
  28. Jun 8, 2013
    This is a pretty solid game, people who give a bad review either didn't play for more than a hour or just left bad reviews based off of other bad reviews, I have yet to encounter a problem, and just using the starter suits I'm always positive on my kills and score, maybe the bad reviews also didn't complete the tutorial and/or suck at the game? There's a lot of depth to this game, moreThis is a pretty solid game, people who give a bad review either didn't play for more than a hour or just left bad reviews based off of other bad reviews, I have yet to encounter a problem, and just using the starter suits I'm always positive on my kills and score, maybe the bad reviews also didn't complete the tutorial and/or suck at the game? There's a lot of depth to this game, more than your typical camp fest like call of duty and this game actually relies on team-work, I'm kinda glad the people that left reviews aren't playing this cause I'd hate to paired up on the same team with them! Collapse

1. Thankfully, navigating through the poorly designed menus is not the only thing Dust 514 has to offer. You can also shoot each other in a body region of choice on poorly designed multiplayer maps. Even with 31 other player joining the fray, you will have a hard time finding even a single adversary. [June 2013, p.86]
  2. Dust 514 is ropier than a Japanese adult movie marathon. Movement is clunky, combat feels archaic, and this war takes place on worlds so drab they look like a rip off of Futurama’s Neutral Planet. This is yet another paid DLC bear trap. [September 2013, p80]
  3. Jul 28, 2013
    Feels like it is in desperate need of a decade of evolution, to move out of the shadow of its peers. [Issue#137, p.114]