Dynasty Warriors 7 PlayStation 3

7.3

1. Aug 5, 2011
    Dynasty warriors 7 basically offers most of the same stuff as its predecessors, hack and slash with a compelling narration loosely based on the Chinese novel 'Romance of the Three Kingdoms'. Unlike previous games in the series, there is no musou mode, instead you're given a story mode where you will be playing a number of set characters throughout the campaign. You control 4Dynasty warriors 7 basically offers most of the same stuff as its predecessors, hack and slash with a compelling narration loosely based on the Chinese novel 'Romance of the Three Kingdoms'. Unlike previous games in the series, there is no musou mode, instead you're given a story mode where you will be playing a number of set characters throughout the campaign. You control 4 factions/kingdoms: Shu, Wu, Wei, and the newly introduced Jin, journeying through the events during the Three Kingdoms period from the lens of each faction. The story telling is much stronger and serious this time around, be prepared to feel sad during some scenes. Another addition to DW7 is the introduction of Conquest Mode, replacing Free Mode. It works pretty much the same but you won't be playing stages featured in Story mode, instead you'll be playing all new stages (most of them not as big as stages in Story mode) and you can unlock new stages, characters, weapons and level up your characters as you go along. You'll be spending most part of the game in Conquest mode as there are tons of stages and you can even play them with your friend through online multiplayer (even though the synching is terrible). There are over 60 playable characters each with their individual special attacks and musou attacks. You can even swap weapons during gameplay and equip whichever weapon you prefer.
    Of course, this game has its flaws. While the graphics is a definite improvement since DW6, it is still dated for current-gen consoles. The water looks bad, and the texture of buildings and landscape are poor. Another thing is the horseriding animation, it is just awful and still doesn't feel natural. Lastly, you still don't need to be smart to play this game because you dont need tactics or strategies. All you'll be doing is figthing off the hordes of enemy soldiers and officers until you reach the enemy's commander. It gets repetitive real quick. Anyway, play this game for the strong storyline and the amount of content it has to offer. You'd certainly get your money's worth for the hours of gameplay you'll be getting (I spent about over a hundred hours on this).
  2. Sep 21, 2012
    Great game with great flaws.
    While the game has beautiful graphics, it has the old Ps2 problem of dissappearing soldiers and officers.
    Great game with great flaws.
    While having more officers to choose from, the cloned moves and retarded allied AI shadows it. While the Story mode is Bright as the sun and great, the conquest mode is completely unninteresting and bland, plus Story mode can only be played in single player mode, no splitscreen.

It seems that tis game stays just like DW6;
    It could've be Awesome! but is not.
  3. Mar 30, 2011
    Although I have not played Dynasty Warriors 6, but I can tell you the jump between 7 and 4/5/5 Empires from the PS2 generation.

Overall, the game has improved greatly on the graphics department. Although you might find the frame rate might drop a bit when there's a lot of enemies, it is still playable. The story follows the same old one they had since day 1, except they expanded it to

The story follows the same old one they had since day 1, except they expanded it to make it a tad bit more interesting. Game play is LONG, unlike DW4 where you can finish a faction within 2-3 hours, this actually takes time. I have played for more than 6 hours on Wei, and it's STILL NOT FINISHED (Just beaten The Battle of Chibi stage). Now for the cons of this game:

Voice acting - I despise English dubs when they are not done in a very good way, in this case, it wasn't. For those that played Warriors Orochi 2 on the PSP, you would know that the added bonus for the NA market was Japanese voices. Why not do that? Weapons/Skills system - 1 word to describe this thing: Confusing. DW4 sported a weapon level-up and officer level-up system through points. These points are generated from which officer you killed, how many infantry, etc. to rack up the points. I don't get why this has to be done MANUALLY now. Oh, and the weapons store is quite useless in my opinion. Morale - They are insane - You can kill at least 90% of the enemy, and your commander can still die after several brief warnings from messengers saying "our commander is under attack, please assist at once". This system brings in stupidity compared to the old morale bar which was simple to read. Choice - Personally, I don't blame Koei for trying to get us to try at least most of the characters on Story mode...but the fact that I can't choose my own character and stick with it for the rest of the story kind of sucks in my opinion. It cuts down A BIT of repetitiveness, but it's something I would miss. Overall, this game has impressed me more than enough. I like this game too much to care about the cons (well...except for the voices which I cannot avoid). I definitely DID NOT regret buying this, and I am looking forward to seeing the next installment.

1. May 30, 2011
    This new chapter in the Dynasty Warriors saga introduces some interesting changes on gameplay. The new story mode is fascinating, and the introduction of the 2 weapons really interesting. The gameplay and the graphics are similar to the previous chapter, so the fans will like it, while the others find the game repetitive and boring.
  2. May 19, 2011
    For casual hack 'n' slash fans then Dynasty Warriors 7 could be a bit too labour intensive and time consuming for your liking. You really need to have a genuine interest in the subject matter on display to get the most out of the game.
  3. May 18, 2011
    Possibly the best Dynasty Warriors game yet. The combat system is a ton of fun and lets you change weapons on the fly as you beat your lowly enemies into pulp in a mesmerizing display of flying bodies and bright color.