7.6

1. Oct 19, 2010
    I love everything about fallout 3 but this game does not get a free pass to a high rating. The fact of the matter is this game has so many bugs it does not score more than four. Nice try, but a name similar to another game isn't how ratings work. Fix the bugs and it gets a higher score. My vote is not for the genre or the franchise but this game as a single entity. I personally give this game a four, a very low score because simply put I find the game broken. My personality type has no patience to replay an area over again until it works. Its mystical the first time and I only want to experience it once. Bugs or glitches that require a reload ruin the game to the point that I'm not interested in it at all. With 3 systems and at least 500 games on each there are regretfully better choices and Fallout New Vegas is close enough to Fallout 3 you may as well just stay put with Fallout 3 and spare yourself the headaches of wishing Fallout New Vegas didn't have the problems it has. As I mentioned nice try, I like the Fallout franchise but as with anything in life you have to earn a reputation and a game full of bugs and problems is a game full of bugs and problems even if it is Fallout 3 based Expand
  2. Nov 1, 2010
    The first hours of Fallout New Vegas was like walking on clouds. I loved everything about it, the atmosphere, the astethics and the gameplay. But as I ventured out in the gigantic wastelands the glitches appeared and a freezing hell started.

After 20 hours of gameplay I'm now stuck becuase the game keeps freezing my PS3. My question is how the hell could a game that is so broken get released?
  3. Nov 15, 2010
    I want to start by saying I loved Fallout 3; I played the heck out of it, and loved every minute of it. By no means am I one of the "Fallout was so much better before it was an FPS" crowd. That said, this game is terrible.
    It really functions more like an expansion to Fallout 3 than a new title. There is little to any innovation, and while the idea of having different factions and a
    social standing with each is interesting, it's poorly executed. Standings with factions increase and decrease at strange and sometimes arbitrary amounts, interaction with factions outside of fighting or neutral standings is somewhat pointless, and if you're like me, you'll eventually just stop caring about it entirely. The Karma system is also completely broken by this. For example, you can kill everyone of an enemy faction in an enemy stronghold, get a ton of good karma for it, but still lose karma for picking up items that are laying around. Because that would be stealing, and stealing is wrong... Of course, karma doesn't matter anymore anyway so go nuts. Gone are the days of Talon Company or the Regulators, and in their place you end up with bumbling "assassins" that are more often than not simply walking resupply stations.
    The plot is also a broken mess, and by the time I reached Novac (for those who played it), I stopped caring about it as well. The quests you need to complete to get people to give you scraps of information are merely busy work, and become increasingly complex and convoluted as time drags on. Example: By the time I was about four hours in to the game I had only made it to said town and level 7. In that town and in order to find out who the man that shot me was traveling with (not even who he was, just who he was traveling with) I had to clear the ghouls out of a factory. Simple enough. To do that I had to clear invisible nightkin out of a basement. Then I found I had to help find radioactive fuel for rockets, which was an entire new quest in a new dangerous area, or 85 caps for a quick fix (if you figured it out). Then you have to find ignition control modules from t- screw it you get the point. I got so tired of these increasingly more complicated chains of events that I finally just struck out for New Vegas for a change of pace. I made it there on the first shot, and talked to Mr. House who flat out told me who shot me and why. Granted he was probably holding something back, but I had found more information in 30 seconds than I did in four hours. I didn't even have to try to find him, he frigging sends a messenger for you. Mystery solved. I'll kill him later. Thanks. You could make the argument that I still don't know all there is to know, but the point is that this game is so monotonous and repetitive that at this point I simply didn't care anymore. It all defies the laws of simplicity; when you break something down into its core components it's supposed to become -for lack of a better word- simpler. Not more and more intricate. As a result New Vegas has merely become a screwing around sort of sandbox for me. A point I normally don't reach until beating a game a couple times. Oh yeah, and at level eight I activated Helios One, pick-pocketed the c-finder, and have access to an orbital strike. It was so easy I don't even feel like I earned it.
    I really want to wrap this up though, so I'll end with this. New Vegas itself is the epitome and personification of what a let down this game is. It's made out to be this glitzy city of lights, chaos, debauchery and adventure, but all I was greeted by were deserted casinos with all of ten patrons, and tiny sections of streets walled off with loading screens. Remember how Rivet "City" had about seven people on it in fallout three? Toss in a blackjack table and it's more or less New Vegas. Download a blackjack app for your phone instead, you'll be happier.
  4. Nov 12, 2010
    I have plunked about 50 hours into this game so far. I've played through every ending and have 1 trophy from platinum so I've put a decent amount of effort into this game. I think it's a disgusting disgrace to the consumer that this game was released in this buggy state. Out of the 50 hours, I've hard locked 40+ times, quit to the XMB menu several times, and encountered so many quest breaking bugs it boggles the mind. Out of 50 hours, I think 40 hours was actual progress as the other 10 hours was repeating my lost progress.

I figured it was my PS3 at first, but after visiting the Bethesda forums it's widespread. I doubt patches will fix this broken game as it seems to be engine issues (aside from the broken quests). It has the same engine woes that were seen in Oblivion and every recent Fallout to date, but multiplied by 10 for some reason. Single digit framerates are completely unacceptable, even though they are only on occasion.

I picked up Fallout 3 well past it's release date and thought it was brilliant. I didn't have 1/4 as many issues as I've had with New Vegas. The storyline is somewhat bland and not very interesting in New Vegas. Fallout 3's campaign kept me on edge and wanting to play more. New Vegas has that to some extent, but there is something missing.

I like the crafting aspect that was put into the game. It made it feel more like an RPG. The addition of the factions also adds another aspect to the game, although it is quite broken with sides attacking you for no reason even though they love you. I cannot however forgive the technical flaws, and that is why it scores such a low score on my scale.

I'm a huge fan of the series, but I will not give it a free pass "just because".
  5. Dec 19, 2010
    This is Vegas, take a gamble... but remember the cardinal rule: the house always wins. As in you lost $60 on a broken game. If you have a good PC, DO NOT buy the PS3 version of this game. Simply put, you'll get sick of the constant crashing and hard-resetting (as in get up and go hold down the power button) long before you get to the end of the main quest. Don't even think about it. There is no patch coming to fix it because it can't be fixed, it's a problem of the game engine being unsuitable for the PS3, as already proven in Fallout 3. I can't believe and at the same time am not surprised that they didn't revamp it for New Vegas. I rate this game an 8 on PC but a 3 on the PS3, because I and many other users can only play for... hmm, what will it be this time? 1 hour? 5 minutes? Spin the crash-wheel, who knows!? Enjoy the sucking frustration! Expand
  6. Nov 24, 2010
    This game would have been great if they had taken the Fallout 3 graphics and physics engine and re-used them with the new environment, despite the older technology. I played until I got to new vegas and a little past. The glitchy graphics were annoying but tolerable. But the constant crashing was just unacceptable. I mean once a night on average, half of the time completely locking up my PS3. Otherwise the game would have earned a solid 8 or 9. Expand
  7. May 26, 2011
    Okay, fallout was a great game. It answered to a lot of fallout fans and newbies alike. But New Vegas? I have to ask why it wasn't just another DLC. Fun idea and lots of content, EXCEPT ever y new location is a one room dungeon. HELLO, I NOTICED Bethesda. We are all not retarded. So if you didn't get enough DLC for FO3, then play NV. If you were hoping for a new game you will be disappointed.
  8. Jun 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game until you come to find that the game doesn't end as Fallout 3 with the DLCs, where you could continue playing the same player after you finish the main game. I really don't get this from the developers, it's just lazy and ridiculous. If you want to play any DLC you have to load a previous save file as if you have never finished the game. Freaking stupid. Expand
  9. Nov 17, 2011
    for what was a very creative and fun game series, fallout NV and 3 set an all time low. Sure, fallout 3 and NV pulled the series to 3d and open, and i admit it was kind of fun, but that fun was ruined by the major bugs, freezes, glitches and crashes i experienced on my copy. it happened on my PC,ps3 and 360 copies so its not my system. This is a very crap game that does not deserve a sequel. If 4 gets made, it must not be developed by obsidian and not use that crap gamebryo engine. I cant even tell you how bad the DLC makes it. Its unplayable after 3 hours gameplay. its like it purposly freezes to tick you off! Expand
  10. Nov 18, 2011
    I own this game and i can barely play it without it crashing. I have unfinished missions where the objectives dissapear. If this game was playable it would be awesome.
  11. May 12, 2012
    When I first played FNV, I was filled with euphoria and as I progress to the middle of the game, I was even addicted to the game that I ditched homework just to play it. The reason for this was the good parts of the game such as making your own story, choices and factions which greatly affects the gameplay, and an immersive world full of amazing weapons. However, despite the amazing features of the game, I was disappointed with FNV when I reached my second playthrough. I realised that there are massive amounts of bugs and crashes, the quests, locations are bland and all the same, the enemies are mediocre, the loading screens are too many and long, and travelling through the Mojave is tiring. Fallout 3 is a LOT better than New Vegas. Thanks a lot, Bethesda! :| Collapse
  12. Dec 29, 2011
    This was literally the worst game I have ever played in the history of Playstation Games. It froze up my PS3 because of lag, the graphics were hokey, the story line was weak and I entered the game knowing nothing of what to do..no weapons, no tutorial..just some weird honkey tonk talking robot that told me how he found me through the rubble. Worst game ever. Refrain from buying this game.
  13. Jun 27, 2013
    Didn't I already play this game? Wasn't it called Fallout 3? Too much rehashing and recycling in New Vegas. And while it's a huge environment, I feel like it's the same game just with a different setting. No thanks.
  14. May 12, 2012

1. A wild ride, and worth the price of admission, but you've been on this one before. [December 2010 p71]
  2. Jan 16, 2011
    The technology of the newest part of the fallout series is over aged and besides the hardcore mode and the reputation-system, the new features of New Vegas are manageable. But altogether, New Vegas is a successful new part and not just an add-on, with more than 100 hours of gaming, an interesting story and a new setting to explore.
  3. Jan 15, 2011
    If you are looking for a universe full of adventures and challenges, Fallout: New Vegas is your game, and for many more months.