7.1

1. Aug 28, 2013
    One of the best MMOs out there.

The Good:
    Story.
    Lore.

Only downside:
    Targeting system.
    Map.
  2. Aug 27, 2013
    A marvelous game. As someone new to MMOs, I expected to be overwhelmed by features and interface elements. Thankfully the tutorial was helpful and clear; I felt comfortable using the different features.

Gameplay is not difficult but battles are enjoyable. Monster models, true to the series, offer entertaining art styles and names. Graphics are superb. This is simply an astoundingly

Graphics are superb. This is simply an astoundingly beautiful game. I find myself stopping regularly to take screenshots of the landscape.

The crafting system is intuitive and fun yet deep and useful. It's certainly more involved and richer than in any console RPG that I've played. You have so many opportunities to craft what you want and to approach it from so many different classes.

The user interface can be a bit clunky at times, but it offers a good amount of information through various menus.

I'm incredibly satisfied with the game and have enjoyed my time in Eorzea. I hope you will take a spin too.
  3. Oct 17, 2013
    I find myself wanting to return every time to the world of eorzea, the game has very good visuals for a mmorpg, great story and most important... THERE IS A LOT OF ENDGAME STUFF TO DO!!!!

Game mechanics and battle mechanics are simple yet very funny to play, and the job/cross class skills is a welcome addition. Great game if u like mmorpg and final fantasy. Not the WOW killer but

Great game if u like mmorpg and final fantasy.

Not the WOW killer but a serious threat to the "King"
  4. Apr 7, 2014
    This game blew me away i wasn't sure what to expect from it going in and i was kinda unsure of buying it but it was amazing i really enjoyed it. I'm not sure what it is that makes me like it so much, i can't tell if it's the amazing atmosphere, wonderful gameplay and mechanics, that beautiful OST, the amazing graphics and art style, or the wonderful story. I wasn't sure about playing anThis game blew me away i wasn't sure what to expect from it going in and i was kinda unsure of buying it but it was amazing i really enjoyed it. I'm not sure what it is that makes me like it so much, i can't tell if it's the amazing atmosphere, wonderful gameplay and mechanics, that beautiful OST, the amazing graphics and art style, or the wonderful story. I wasn't sure about playing an mmo with a controller but it was very nice. I would recommend having a keyboard plugged in for chat though. unfortunately all i could play was the 30 day trial but once it comes out for ps4 i'll be getting it and paying for the subscription. Expand
  5. Jan 11, 2014
    Only getting the game now down to the negative response from servers etc... Took me an hour to install game, patches and updates, definitely worth the wait had no problem with servers at all :) graphics aren't as good as PC, but still very good in comparison with ps3 game graphics, over all feel of the game is fantastic, This game makes me glad to be a FF fan, and the neg response isOnly getting the game now down to the negative response from servers etc... Took me an hour to install game, patches and updates, definitely worth the wait had no problem with servers at all :) graphics aren't as good as PC, but still very good in comparison with ps3 game graphics, over all feel of the game is fantastic, This game makes me glad to be a FF fan, and the neg response is because people have no patience :) Expand
  6. Sep 2, 2013
    Great game, some teething problem with servers but don't let something temporary reflect on an otherwise top class game. Casual play is great but still has plenty of depth for those that need more. Great for all the FF fans as it covers alot of the franchises history.
  7. Aug 29, 2013
    WOW! This is a great MMO game! At first I was not expecting much due to the bad rep this game got for it's initial version which I ended up not playing. However, after having played some more Final Fantasy games and learning that Square Enix intended to release a much improved version of the game I decided to give it a chance. Lo and behold this MMO has turned out to be one of the bestWOW! This is a great MMO game! At first I was not expecting much due to the bad rep this game got for it's initial version which I ended up not playing. However, after having played some more Final Fantasy games and learning that Square Enix intended to release a much improved version of the game I decided to give it a chance. Lo and behold this MMO has turned out to be one of the best games I've played in a while. Amazing interface and easy to pick up with so much to do! Superb narrative and art-style which is very much in line with traditional Final Fantasy. I'm so glad I purchased this I recommend everyone especially fans of older Final Fantasy games to give it a go! I know I'll be playing this for a long time! Expand
  8. Aug 28, 2013
    Best Mmorpg presently some login issue because the game is to popular. Square will repair this next weeks. Lack the feeling to be a team like v1 because everything seem solo or duty finder with stranger.
  9. Sep 4, 2013
    All the 0 reviews are laughable. None of them have valid information on the game. It's all "SERVERS WON'T LAUNCH LOL BAD." Or "LOL I DON'T LIKE THE UI SO THAT MAKES IT BAD." Get a grip. Have none of you ever played MMOs before? Diablo 3 on pc launch was worse than this and people are praising the crap out of this game...were you around at WoW launch? That was a freaking ordeal. JustAll the 0 reviews are laughable. None of them have valid information on the game. It's all "SERVERS WON'T LAUNCH LOL BAD." Or "LOL I DON'T LIKE THE UI SO THAT MAKES IT BAD." Get a grip. Have none of you ever played MMOs before? Diablo 3 on pc launch was worse than this and people are praising the crap out of this game...were you around at WoW launch? That was a freaking ordeal. Just shut up and wait to play like everyone else. They're giving you the week you lost free time. And BTW you could log on I've been on every day since launch. You fools have no idea what you're talking about.

The game itself is beautiful. Amazing. The quests in the beginning, while tailored to extreme newbies, lay out the plot for a great story down the line all the while offering a tutorial of the game's UI which, by the way translates on to ps3 amazingly. I can do things almost as fluidly as if with a keyboard and mouse (and I haven't even gotten the complete hang of it yet!) the fact that you can switch jobs later as well as combine classes to make more advanced classes is just awesome. Don't see that in too many MMOs these days.

The score OMG. Amazing. I could listen to the music for days. Really. Get on this.
    Combat is fun and the main story lines only get better as you go on.

I suggest picking this game up now that server issues have been alleviated and we can actually play.
    Do it.
  10. Aug 29, 2013
    I am also writing this review to offset the invalidity of the negative reviews. This game is amazing. I have been a Final Fantasy fan for over 22 years and have played all of them BUT Final Fantasy XI--this game FEELS like a Final Fantasy. I haven't felt like this since Final Fantasy X. I was very disappointed that I was not able to be a part of the franchises first experience with an mmo.I am also writing this review to offset the invalidity of the negative reviews. This game is amazing. I have been a Final Fantasy fan for over 22 years and have played all of them BUT Final Fantasy XI--this game FEELS like a Final Fantasy. I haven't felt like this since Final Fantasy X. I was very disappointed that I was not able to be a part of the franchises first experience with an mmo. I also did not buy it the first time around. So my views have never truly been tarnished regarding this game. When I played the Beta-I was hooked. I was so sad when it was over and tried to go back to Skyrim... but it paled in comparison (particularly for a FF fan). I wanted MORE! True, there were a few issues getting things going, but they game itself is so much fun. My husband put it best, "I know this game is good, because you can't stop smiling." I would only deduct the 1 point for the annoyances of trying to get in servers/the overload/etc. The music is in my head right now at work... (thanks to the genius Nobuo Uematsu) and all I want to do is play Final Fantasy. If you are a Final Fantasy fan (particularly old school), GET.THIS.GAME! Expand
  11. Sep 3, 2013
    Log in issues aside, hopefully being fixed with the 24 hour downtime coming up in a few hours, this is a fantastic game so far. I'm about halfway through and the story is great (slow start but it picks up), music is fantastic. Graphics are excellent for ps3 (PC version on max settings is awesome). Gameplay is a lot of fun, I've played quite a few mmo's but this one has really sucked me inLog in issues aside, hopefully being fixed with the 24 hour downtime coming up in a few hours, this is a fantastic game so far. I'm about halfway through and the story is great (slow start but it picks up), music is fantastic. Graphics are excellent for ps3 (PC version on max settings is awesome). Gameplay is a lot of fun, I've played quite a few mmo's but this one has really sucked me in early on. I will be playing this one for months to come! Expand
  12. Jan 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent. Fun combat, exploration and random bosses are a blast. Just dont expect much social integration early on. Graphics are nice (even with the tone down to reduce lag) and the character models are stunning with great looks. Expand
  13. Aug 28, 2013
    Engaging, inspired, complex, gorgeous. So, so many adjectives to describe A Realm Reborn. I am new to the MMO genre basically, I was drawn to FFXIV just because I am a huge fan of the series and have been playing the games since the NES. So I won't get into the mechanics but I am confident it follows a lot of conventional MMO standards, in terms of roles, dungeons PVP/PVE etc. This gameEngaging, inspired, complex, gorgeous. So, so many adjectives to describe A Realm Reborn. I am new to the MMO genre basically, I was drawn to FFXIV just because I am a huge fan of the series and have been playing the games since the NES. So I won't get into the mechanics but I am confident it follows a lot of conventional MMO standards, in terms of roles, dungeons PVP/PVE etc. This game is UNBELIEVABLY ADDICTIVE. I've been playing since Beta3 and it just got better and better and more consistent. There is just so much to do... it's overwhelming. From the moment you start making your character to the time you start taking on quests, looting, making friends, joining companies, discovering places etc., you are immediately captivated by the game. This is just so good even with all the flaws that come with the launch you won't feel like putting it down. It's a beautiful, unquestionable product of love. And I am CONFIDENT it'll please MMO hardcore players, FF enthusiasts and complete newcomers. A Realm Reborn literally was born out of a failed product and it's easy to say it's here to stay. Eorzea appears to be a place I will not leave any time soon. Expand
  14. Aug 29, 2013
    The game does everything right that an MMO, should do right, it's quests are fun and creative, the story is epic, and makes you feel like a hero, it has tons of things to do, so you can play for a really long time and never get bored. Yoshi and his team really put their heart into this game, and it shows.
  15. Sep 11, 2013
    Final Fantasy XIV: ARR is a very polished mmo. The game takes great lengths to allow you to customize your character as much as possible. I appreciate being able to name your own Chocobo and being able to fully customize the look and name of your retainer. The main story does a great job of making you feel like a badass hero. While the dungeons in the game are very fun, I can't help butFinal Fantasy XIV: ARR is a very polished mmo. The game takes great lengths to allow you to customize your character as much as possible. I appreciate being able to name your own Chocobo and being able to fully customize the look and name of your retainer. The main story does a great job of making you feel like a badass hero. While the dungeons in the game are very fun, I can't help but feel that making some dungeons mandatory for the main quest was bothersome. This is not much of a problem for tanks and healers, but dps players currently face very long wait times. Nevertheless, when it finally happens dungeons in FFXIV: ARR are some of the most fun I've had in any mmo.

Simply put, this is an amazing mmo. Both Final Fantasy fans and mmo players will find much to love.
  16. Sep 7, 2013
    A positive improvement over 1.0. While opening week had server issues SE worked constantly to get issues fixed and in control. Just as they promised in the first week they fixed connection issues and people could log in easier. Since the first week had soo many issues they gave everyone back a week of free play. Graphics are hardly muddy and actually very sharp and clear.. it dependsA positive improvement over 1.0. While opening week had server issues SE worked constantly to get issues fixed and in control. Just as they promised in the first week they fixed connection issues and people could log in easier. Since the first week had soo many issues they gave everyone back a week of free play. Graphics are hardly muddy and actually very sharp and clear.. it depends on your PC abilities on how the graphics look... so its sad when people use graphics on PC as a complaint.

Alot of the negative complaints come from people who did not bother to actually follow with the facebook, twitter and constant communication Square did with the user base... they always kept everyone informed and in the loop on what they were doing to fix things.

Most of the negative comments on the quest system are stupid because the system can be compared to WoW's and that is where most of these negative posters come from.

All in all if you like Final Fantasy and played FFXI then this game wont disappoint.
  17. Dec 19, 2013
    this the first MMO i have ever played and i love this game. i loved final fantasy games since i was child. its beautiful game and challenging game. good story.
  18. Aug 27, 2013
    This is my first time playing an MMORPG and i really do think it was the perfect game to start with. the lighting and the over all gameplay are miles ahead of the original XIV.
  19. Aug 28, 2013
    This review is to counteract the negative reviews slamming the game for its server issues. Yes, SE did a horrendous job handling customer service, but the game itself does not deserve to suffer as a result. I have not played Version 1.0, so I have no bases of comparison, but I have played Final Fantasy XI for a few years. What I've played of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn so far hasThis review is to counteract the negative reviews slamming the game for its server issues. Yes, SE did a horrendous job handling customer service, but the game itself does not deserve to suffer as a result. I have not played Version 1.0, so I have no bases of comparison, but I have played Final Fantasy XI for a few years. What I've played of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn so far has been phenomenal. The improved quest system, the fast and frenetic dungeon raids, the exciting combat. There's nothing about the game that makes you bored. If you're bored from the game, you just aren't that creative with how you're playing it.

Keep an open mind. Have patience. Put up with the log in and character creation restrictions because a beautiful and fun game awaits you.
  20. Aug 29, 2013
    You stupid A-holes need to quit giving 0's because of the server issues. Remember when halo 3 used to crash all the time because of a glitch from installing it? Anyway, this game, once you are in is amazing. It hits that sweet spot between hardcore and casual perfectly. It is the most fun ive had with an mmo since I first played Everquest in 2003.
  21. Sep 16, 2013
    being the first mmo i've ever played i don't have anything i can compare it to, but i love this game. while initially confusing, i eventually understood the quest system, as well as how to fight get new weapons, and about fates which randomly appear in the world and offer rewards for completing them. the graphics look amazing and combat starts of slow and simple, but later gets morebeing the first mmo i've ever played i don't have anything i can compare it to, but i love this game. while initially confusing, i eventually understood the quest system, as well as how to fight get new weapons, and about fates which randomly appear in the world and offer rewards for completing them. the graphics look amazing and combat starts of slow and simple, but later gets more complex. the only problems i have are some framerate slow-down when there's a lot on the screen at once, and the targeting system, which feels slightly awkward to use, especially if you're trying to pick out an enemy from several others. Expand
  22. Aug 31, 2013
    Best MMO i played for a REALLY long time and i played A LOT of MMO's
    it's a MUST to try out this game words are not worthy of describing such a masterpiece

Don't pay attention to the red reviews because they are Ignorant kids.
  23. Sep 5, 2013
    Game is great few log in difficulties but nothing to get your panties in a twist over all better on console feels more personal.Graphics obviously not as great but ho cares game still looks awesome ,what makes it great it's the only game on PS3 like this.
  24. Sep 24, 2013
    I'm really impress with how good this game is. The single player Final Fantasy(13) maybe crap, but if Square-Enix keep making MMO like Final Fantasy 14 ARR, i will always be first in line to buy the game. Great Job Square
  25. Sep 22, 2013
    Amazing game, quests get a bit ridiculous sometimes, but overall pretty nice, job/class system amazing (probably my favorite part). The move combinations, limit breaks, dungeons, boss fights. All amazing. Please get rid of the Gold "gil" sellers on this game who spam advertisements constantly though.
  26. Sep 15, 2013
    Now that the server issues are resolved, I can say I truly enjoy this game wholeheartedly. You're able to switch between classes with just one character, they offer plenty of quest opportunities, the live FATE events are something I always run to, and it just looks darn pretty. If I have a gripe, I suppose it's the difficulty curve running solo tends to steepen and flatten throughout, butNow that the server issues are resolved, I can say I truly enjoy this game wholeheartedly. You're able to switch between classes with just one character, they offer plenty of quest opportunities, the live FATE events are something I always run to, and it just looks darn pretty. If I have a gripe, I suppose it's the difficulty curve running solo tends to steepen and flatten throughout, but you can manage. Especially with this being on PS3, I'm really impressed with this game. A must play, even if you typically don't go after MMO's. It does come with a trial period, so you don't have to pay monthly right away. Give it a try! Expand
  27. Sep 11, 2013
    I will start off saying, everybody who gave this game a 0 in rage due to servers crashing first few days... That has happened in every MMO I can remember...well...that anybody played.

I am what you would call a "casual mmo gamer" now. I have a wife and 4 children, I work 40+ hrs a week, I don't have time to grind out 50 hrs a week ingame. I play to have fun, I play for content, I play so I can play an rpg with other people. Well, this game has more than I could ever hope for. I Have been playing mmo's since EQ, and, this one has taken the best of all worlds and mashed it up into a wonderful game. You can read any professional review and they will give you a good breakdown of what the pros and cons are of each aspect of it.

Here is my bottom line. MY WIFE started playing and LOVES it..... period. She doesn't really do games lol... typical girl, mario kart with kids..... stuff like that. She is further along than me lol.

I wasn't always a "Casual" gamer, lead a raiding guild in WoW for a year(lich king era). Lead a LS on FFXI for 8 years.

This is the game for anybody who loves to play. It doesn't matter if you play 2 hours a week or 120. You will have fun and since it's final fantasy world, people will behave or get banned, so, it will be more family friendly than WoW. I love this game, hope you do too. Good gaming to you all!
  28. Aug 29, 2013
    A fun game, like vanilla WOW a lot, but with better music, a better story, and jobs. Don't forget that its Final Fantasy, too. I enjoyed it very much.
  29. Sep 24, 2013
    This is the real Final Fantasy 14 every body wants. It's a big step in Console gaming, as a person who love the console gaming I appreciate the optimization of the game and all the problems and replicates of the game will fix with patches to me is a great game but a shame to pay for play
  30. Aug 29, 2013
    I liked too much, i can only resume that it´s an amazing game endeed it´s fun to play, even more than final fantasy xii and xiii, it confirms that maybe what final fantasy franchice needs it´s new blood on development staff, so, it´s time to fire Motomu Toriyama before he does another weird entry like xiii saga in the series
  31. Aug 21, 2014
    This Game is just great.
    This Game is just great.
    nope, its no WoW killer, nope, its no in dept MMORPG with endless ammount of instances and stuff. BUT(T) and thats a huge but, its a great final fantasy combined with a good MMO. if you love FF tactics job system, FF 12 combat and the story elements of the older final fantasies, you will LOVE this game. best damn thing about this game is by far the job system. you start off with one class and later you will swap it for an expert class. however, like in FF tactics, you need another class for that also. precisely: you need your first class on 30 and your second on 15 to get to the expert class. and guess what, you can use all many of your skills gathered on this way for your expert class also. that means a huge lot of skills. not as much as in WoW ofc, but quite alot more than in GW2 or any other final fantasy so far.

instances are fun, but very easy (atleast the story relevant ones)

one thing MMORPG veterans may not like: once you use a spell, you have a global cooldown, for each spell unique (on almost every skin) its final fantasy after all but it fits very well and makes fighting less confusing and a bit more tactical. i like it quite alot.

however, there are not only combat jobs, but ofc the classic crafting and collecting job. you may aswell craft FURNITURE for your very own room (yes indeed) or others rooms.

also alot of FF fan service in the quests, chocobos(ofc they r in there), mounts and little servants that follow you and help you out is provided. so after all i gone in with zero expectations and was overwelmed with the fun and FF feeling, aswell as finding a MMORPG with almost no real flaws. there are a few however:

leveling goes too fast in the beginning and then you will HATE to do the lv 1 2 3 quests without gathering exp anymore to get the bigger ones.... its just **** to beeing able to gind that fast with mobs and then the questing gets boring and useless till you finally get to play some better ones...

there are 3 huge cities in FF 14, however traviling between em isnt possible via porting from your current location, so you need to get in an airship every time and it sux... also depending on what city you started, only the refering jobs of the city are provided and you cant buy ANYTHING you need for a job that doenst exist in the city you are currently. which makes location indipendant leveing of your jobs impossible and takes time and nerves...

to sum it up: a great MMORPG with great FF feeling. a must try for fans. however it may be disappointing for diehard wow fanboys and MMORPG veterans aswell as theorycrafters looking for a big challange or PvP only- seekers.

1. Apr 25, 2014
    This is definitely a title that fans of MMOs and Final Fantasy should give a shot, just not on the Playstation 3.
  2. Nov 23, 2013
    A refreshing rarity. [Issue#237, p.76]
  3. Oct 25, 2013
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is the complete package. With a well-written story, characters you care about, a flexible class system, lovely visuals, and a grand soundtrack, this game offers about everything you could want, especially for fans of the Final Fantasy series.