• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Mar 12, 2013
7.5

1. Mar 16, 2013
    As an avid God of War fan I per-ordered this months ago. This was a day one purchase for me and I am very happy that I picked it up. This game is about the same length as all of the other God of War games(about 5-10 hours, can be longer if you are on Titan) and has a very solid combat system. There are some new improvements in the game play and it makes everything more streamlined andAs an avid God of War fan I per-ordered this months ago. This was a day one purchase for me and I am very happy that I picked it up. This game is about the same length as all of the other God of War games(about 5-10 hours, can be longer if you are on Titan) and has a very solid combat system. There are some new improvements in the game play and it makes everything more streamlined and feels more intuitive. The story is not as good as God of War III, but it is an amazing story nonetheless. The difficulty does ramp up from time to time and it does get very difficult at times, but that is what God of War is built upon. The multi player is a fun addition that is very well done. It is something that is very unique and has a lot of opportunity for continued play in the future, there is no doubt that I will continue to play the multi player over the upcoming months. Overall I give this game a 9/10 it would get a 10, however with it following up on God of War III, it would be pretty difficult to get a 10 when compared to that. Expand
  2. Mar 31, 2013
    Still a good God of War entry, but I felt that Ascension will never be Game of the Year. The commercial was alright, not that much with no gameplay on it. The reason why I'm almost disappointed at the game is that I'd wished it was God of War IV, but the prequel is sorta like a storytelling reboot of the original God of War where Kratos starts to raise hell and kick the living crap out ofStill a good God of War entry, but I felt that Ascension will never be Game of the Year. The commercial was alright, not that much with no gameplay on it. The reason why I'm almost disappointed at the game is that I'd wished it was God of War IV, but the prequel is sorta like a storytelling reboot of the original God of War where Kratos starts to raise hell and kick the living crap out of Zeus. But the rest of the story just not gonna cut it in Ascension. God of War fans doesn't need multiplayer. If it weren't for the game itself, they should've announced it for the Playstation 4 this holiday season. I like it in single--player campaigns because I've already beaten Chains of Olympus and Ghosts of Sparta. I'm almost beat God of War III with a whole stack of trophies that I've collected (I'm now on the Hard difficulty, as usual). I wonder if the new God of War still has some new sex scenes. I would love to see them in action (hot damn, I love naked lesbians). I'd say Ascension is a bit average, not the best in the series. But it's a good game and I think I'll rent it on Redbox. Expand
  3. Mar 21, 2013
    The game innovated in all aspects, has great graphics, great soundtrack, a fantastic story, which makes you hold every second, has an amazing replay factor, a multiplayer to be played for about 5 years straight, a game that deserves the crown of best game of all time!
  4. Apr 7, 2013
    When judged as a game on it's own, i'd give this game a 9, but since this comes after more than 3 other GOW games it really falls short.

The graphics and environments are magnificent as always, perhaps better than any other GOW game, and fortunately there is little backtracking. The Story line jumps around quite a bit, with little explanation for the first few hours. Once it is

The Story line jumps around quite a bit, with little explanation for the first few hours. Once it is explained it all falls into place and gives the game more meaning and enjoyment.

If you are a GOW veteran, you will immediately notice that this game feels different. Firstly I noticed how quiet the game is, with hardly any background music in combat except for boss battles. Combat is very 'samey' as opposed to other GOW games, as your only weapons are the blades of chaos which do get elemental upgrades, but these hardly change combat. The rage system is fatally flawed, with you slowly gaining rage during combat, but if you get hit once or twice it resets almost to zero which makes fights painfully long, as does the fact that most enemies seem to have an extremely massive amount of health.

The upgrades are not at all exciting, with each element adding almost the same combos to your blades, just with a different color. The elements don't do much at all, except when your rage bar is full, or when you use magic, in which the spell is determined by the element currently equipped.

There are quite a few extremely annoying sections wherein Kratos is in the back of the scene, so small you can hardly see but still in battle, and quick-time sections that are extremely unforgiving which takes much trial and error to see the tiny quick-time indicators that flicker away in less than a second. For example all of the sliding sections could be removed completely as these were extremely frustrating.

Most of the puzzles are well executed, with only a few moments of confusion which actually made the puzzles more enjoyable. There was only one puzzle that made little sense and after half an hour of trial and error I resulted in looking up an online guide.

Enemy variety was a bit lacking, with enemy types seeming to be random in most locations. Most other GOW games, the enemies fit the area, but here in many places it seemed like any enemy would be randomly thrown into battle. Many battles were painfully long, with wave after wave of enemies joining the fight before the previous wave had been defeated.

After finishing the single player, and playing the multi-player tutorial, it became clear why the combat in single player is so limited (and boring). Multi-player includes various weapons that are sadly lacking from single player, which add much needed variety and complexity to combat.

If the multiplayer weapons were added to the single-player campaign, more music was added throughout, and less godlike enemies with more more enemy variety, this game would be 10/10.
  5. Apr 30, 2013
    The God of War series has always had epic gameplay and stunning graphics. Plus if you like the testosterone driven badass type of hero... well, Kratos is the king Kobra Kai.

While the story is not as strong as in the other console GOW games, the combat has really added a bunch of new dimensions. I really had a blast with all the new moves and strategies... and without a doubt I became a more badass GOW player then ever before. I'm lassoing enemies, freezing them, throwing them, and then ripping their heads off. It just feels so satisfying when you get Kratos in the zone, he's just so epic and the graphics look stunning at full-fight intensity.

Oh and every single boss battle is unique and gnarly fun.
  6. May 26, 2013
    GOW Ascension is a return too form for the god of war series feeling and playing great. ascension feels like a step in the right direction to continue to take the series forward. While the previous game Gow 3 was good overall it felt like a movie in places a mistake a lot of games have made this generation. But while Ascension still has QTEs in boss battles these are so well done it justGOW Ascension is a return too form for the god of war series feeling and playing great. ascension feels like a step in the right direction to continue to take the series forward. While the previous game Gow 3 was good overall it felt like a movie in places a mistake a lot of games have made this generation. But while Ascension still has QTEs in boss battles these are so well done it just feels a smooth part of the combat mechanics. The combat overall is solid although i preferred the old variation of blades spears and golden rams fists. these have been replaced by elemental blades each adding its own moves and specials some work best on different enemies. The story is good and not weak like some reviewers said. its one hell of a ride and can be very challenging even on normal which is what fans of the series expect a true challenge collectables for use in game+ and ultra hard Titan mode can be found within the levels. All this before the truely very good multi-player which sony santa monica seemed to have nailed even from beta its always fun constantly being rebalanced and issues are quickly fixed. update ver 1.07 is now live that takes the level cap from 30 to 40 adds two new maps some ultimate power finishers and a few new dlc weapons. There is one on one battles team battles capture the flag and a collect favor mode which is my overall favorite. Congrats Sony Santa Monica on a great addition to the series a labor of love for the team who work hard in maintaining a quality multiplayer. 8.5 for those yet to try god of war Ascension is a great starting point. Expand
  7. Mar 17, 2013
    If this is your first God of War game, don't buy it. The story assumes that you know about Kratos' back story so newcomers to the series may find it hard to understand the story. The story in itself is simple but awesome: you've broken the oath with Ares and the Furies are now coming for you. You get to see the human side of Kratos which is something new and interesting. He still hasn'tIf this is your first God of War game, don't buy it. The story assumes that you know about Kratos' back story so newcomers to the series may find it hard to understand the story. The story in itself is simple but awesome: you've broken the oath with Ares and the Furies are now coming for you. You get to see the human side of Kratos which is something new and interesting. He still hasn't quite recovered from the loss of his family and you can see and feel it. I don't know about you but I like it.
    The combat is the same old thing that we all know and love but with a few tweaks. A major change is that your only weapons are the Blades of Chaos. In the previous titles, you could just play through the game only upgrading and using the Blades and just forgetting the other weapons. The devs have noticed this and removed all the other weapons. In their place you get elemental powers. Your Blades will either do Fire, Ice, Lightning or Soul damage. Fire does extra damage, Ice freezes enemies, Lightning attacks are quick and Soul attacks summon souls. Each element also yields different kinds of orbs. It is a clever way of keeping the familiar attacks and combos of the Blades and still adding new unique melee and magic attacks. Also, they've changed the way the Rage meter works. If you chain attacks without getting your streak stopped by an enemy, you will activate Rage mode where you do more damage and access new abilities and combos. It's not much but it's enough to make the combat feel that much different and unique.
    The one thing I dislike is that the levels feel stretched and the fact that you make little progress in the plot over the course of the game. Towards the end of the game it doesn't feel as stretched but in the beginning I was starting to get bored because there was almost no story at all. The campaign mode basically only has three or four different environments and that's it. The single player campaign is shorter than in the previous games but every minute of it is still worth it.
    There's a lot of puzzles and platforming in Ascension. You will find yourself climbing and jumping almost as much as you're killing enemies. I found myself actually thinking about the puzzles which is something new and good. The platforming may seem a bit awkward at times but when you finally come down to it, it's good.
    Another bad thing is that there aren't many boss fights. Basically there's just the opening boss, final boss, two other small boss fight and then the mini-bosses. Story-wise it's understandable that Kratos can't just go around and kill gods and huge monsters yet. Instead, you fight hordes of regular foes. It may not sound very exciting but it's not that bad really.
    Finally I'll talk about the multiplayer. It was unneccessary. God of War in its essence is a single player game. You didn't need multiplayer. The developers have clearly said that this is the main reason they made Ascension and it's 100% unneccessary. It's the reason why the single player mode is so short and not as amazing as in previous titles. Now that I've said that, I'll say that the multiplayer is good. Not amazing, not horrible, not mediocre; good. There's not much to tell about it, it's basically GoW with other players against each other in different game modes. Simple as that.
    I'm not going to say much about the graphics and the sounds because they don't matter as much as gameplay. They're both amazing, especially the visuals. They're a huge leap from God of War III.
  8. Apr 21, 2013
    It's a fun game but the storyline is so weak. I wish they had done a different ending to GOW 3 if they really felt like making another game. That way we wouldn't get numerous prequels that keep having less and less story in them. Its still worth playing, but is story-wise, is not even close to the level of Gow 2 and 3 (or even the first one).
  9. Mar 21, 2013
    God of War: Ascension is redefines and improves upon krato's already Blockbuster series.. The combat alone in this game will leave you coming back to grab the controller and feel, like a warrior and spartan several times over. The Multiplayer seems polish with no latency at least non that i have noticed. Sony Santa Monica studios has done it again hats off to the combat designer and theGod of War: Ascension is redefines and improves upon krato's already Blockbuster series.. The combat alone in this game will leave you coming back to grab the controller and feel, like a warrior and spartan several times over. The Multiplayer seems polish with no latency at least non that i have noticed. Sony Santa Monica studios has done it again hats off to the combat designer and the whole God of War team. Thanks Sony. Expand
  10. May 4, 2013
    Interesting game. I'll say for people that has played gow before this is an 8, but is easily a 9 for GOW virgins. I liked how just when you thought you've seen everything a video game has to offer, there are parts of this game that makes you go "wow". Obviously this game isnt as epic as the last gow, but it's still enjoyable. The downside is that near the end of the game you realize theInteresting game. I'll say for people that has played gow before this is an 8, but is easily a 9 for GOW virgins. I liked how just when you thought you've seen everything a video game has to offer, there are parts of this game that makes you go "wow". Obviously this game isnt as epic as the last gow, but it's still enjoyable. The downside is that near the end of the game you realize the enemies get repititive and is more annoying than a challenge to fight. But overall I think this is a good game and an 85 to be more specific. GOW fans might want to wait for the price to drop if considering this game, I will say. Expand
  11. Mar 19, 2013
    Loved it!.
    Best looking game to date.
    Yes it's not going to have all the weapons and epic moments like god of war 3 but its a prequel. People need to understand this. God of war ascension is as brutal as ever and by god it does it well. Multiplayer is also brilliant!. Many reviews say how weak it is but actual people playing it tell a different story. Maybe these reviewers are just
    Loved it!.
    Best looking game to date.
    God of war ascension is as brutal as ever and by god it does it well.

Multiplayer is also brilliant!.
    Many reviews say how weak it is but actual people playing it tell a different story. Maybe these reviewers are just crap at this game?.
    I and from my research on the feedback on gowa multiplayer has all been extremely positive. Fun and addictive is the most used words when it comes to multiplayer, I totally agree. this game gets a full 10 from me.
  12. Jun 2, 2013
    Ascension, predictably, doesn't keep up with the grandeur of GOW 3. The story is bland and largely unnecessary for the series. As for the gameplay, the combat is nicely tuned, but the mix of the enemies you fight is often more irritating than challenging. Singleplayer campaign lacks the drive of its predecessor the bigger part of the game consists of beautifully made, but largelyAscension, predictably, doesn't keep up with the grandeur of GOW 3. The story is bland and largely unnecessary for the series. As for the gameplay, the combat is nicely tuned, but the mix of the enemies you fight is often more irritating than challenging. Singleplayer campaign lacks the drive of its predecessor the bigger part of the game consists of beautifully made, but largely unremarkable locations requiring you to solve some kind of a puzzle. Multiplayer is a new addition to the series, and it fits surprisingly well, offering a unique brawler experience that will probably take up some of your evenings. To sum up, the singleplayer campaign itself is the same old formula we've seen 5 times already. It alone is hardly worth a 7, but the neat multiplayer mode gets it up to 8 in my opinion. If Sony aims to continue the franchise on PS4, it's going to need a reboot a different mythology, maybe? Expand
  13. Mar 26, 2013
    This was a rather enjoyable addition to the series. The battle is a little bit more evolved, the graphics are a little bit better, the QTE finishes are a little bit more involved, and there are plenty of new characters and elements to go along with what is generally the same story.

The game has the feel of some of the earlier games in the series in some senses, but with the look and gameplay of the most recent games (really this and GoW3). The pacing was a bit slower than God of War 3, but it was still a fun pace full of good and creative environments.

As a whole I had a fun time playing this. It's not the best in the series, but it's still a good game.
  14. Mar 18, 2013
    Eh, an alright entry into the series. The single player is actually pretty fun, but then again, you cant go wrong with god of war atleast on the single player front. It's more of the same gameplay, so if you were looking for something different, dont bother with this game. The only problem lies with the multiplayer. The problem is that the multiplayer isnt fun after a few hours of playingEh, an alright entry into the series. The single player is actually pretty fun, but then again, you cant go wrong with god of war atleast on the single player front. It's more of the same gameplay, so if you were looking for something different, dont bother with this game. The only problem lies with the multiplayer. The problem is that the multiplayer isnt fun after a few hours of playing it, all it is is mashing buttons against other people, and whoever mashes buttons the fastest wins. True, you do have to use SOME strategy, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to play this game, that's not to say the multiplayer is bad, what does say it's bad is that it's BORING. Expand
  15. Mar 20, 2013
    God of War: Ascension takes a well established formula and continues it to the highest pedigree of its predecessors. There is no doubt the game feels familiar and if you were never a GOW fan this game will not when you over, however if you do enjoy the GOW series this game is MUST OWN. The graphics and production values are once again best in class and some of the best boss fights inGod of War: Ascension takes a well established formula and continues it to the highest pedigree of its predecessors. There is no doubt the game feels familiar and if you were never a GOW fan this game will not when you over, however if you do enjoy the GOW series this game is MUST OWN. The graphics and production values are once again best in class and some of the best boss fights in the business are back yet again. It also features a new online multiplayer mode that feels very familiar with a classic Dreamcast game known as" Power Stone". The MP mode can get a little chaotic at times but once you pick it up there is much fun to be had and it is a unique multiplayer experience that has not been seen in a while. So for fans of GOW or great action adventure games in general, I recommend this game. Expand
  16. Mar 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well for me the game is just super amazing. I totally don't understand people saying that this game isn't as epic as GoW3. Damn, Ascension just cannot be as epic as 3rd part of kratos journey because it's a prologue. Personally I think the game is just crazy good. It got everything in it. The story is good and matches to one smooth piece. There is less action in some moments and more platform jumping,climbing etc etc which I think is actually really good becouse I always like the enviromental aspects of the game. All the swings,jumps,climbs are even more fun that before. Puzzles,well they never been hard in any part of GoW and its no different now. I hate people that says there are no reall EPIC boss fights in Ascension. Sure we aint got bosses on such a enourmusly huge scale like it was in other GoW parts bit personally I think that bosses we face in Ascension are ripping your ass right under your neck. Serously. Fighting with Infected 100-hand man or the sisters themselfs and the final battle with the Queen,all that gives absolutley huge fun and satisfaction. About combat, some moroons said that combat is bad,complicated etc etc that parrying doesnt make any sense yada yada. People who says so just can't play the game and are just weak in it. Me as old veteran of the series had no problems to get use to twixed combat system. You can change the blade of chaos with 4 diffrent attunements right when you are doing combos. Some1 said that you cant make any combos as you are bounded to the Rage meter. That a piece of crap. you just can't play like a puss and smach all buttons and launch heaviest combo.You must mix attacks with succesfull parries ,dodges and R1 grabs and then you press R3+L3 and in meantime you change attunement and lounch special magic attack. However for people that are just bad at GoW games they will moan about screwd combat system which for me is just freshed,intuicional and feel like good old Kratos in action with few upgrades and possibilities to make the combat more spectacular. I finished the game on titan mode which was a nice and hard challange in some moments. After that I was complitely sucked in by multiplayer where I unleash my bloodthirst upon reall players All in all its a MUST HAVE for all GoW fans and those that are starting their adventure with Kratos will get the chance to know how it all started,know Kratos more from the human side etc etc Just brilliant game Expand
  17. Mar 17, 2013
    So, this game is hard for me to review. I mean, it is a great game, worthy of a great score, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it's one I will play through more than once. It feels like something is missing even though, the combat is smooth like you would expect, the visuals are amazing, the puzzles actually had me puzzled, a few times. Kratos just doesn't seem himself. They try andSo, this game is hard for me to review. I mean, it is a great game, worthy of a great score, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it's one I will play through more than once. It feels like something is missing even though, the combat is smooth like you would expect, the visuals are amazing, the puzzles actually had me puzzled, a few times. Kratos just doesn't seem himself. They try and give him some humanity and at this point your not sure if he should be the most angry he has ever been or if it's more justified later in your conflict with the gods of Olympus. The multilayer is like putting Kratos against Kratos and it is fun in game play and customization. I am not sure how long it will be played before you move on. All in all a great game like I said just feels different not as connected to Kratos. Expand
  18. Mar 17, 2013
    Good points:
    -Great combat options
    -Amazing graphics -Best boss fights ever -Epic intro and ending -Great grabbing options -Medium-high enemies difficulty -Great multiplayer -Interaction with scenery weapons -Best soundtrack ever Bad points: -No secondary weapons (seriously!? where the hell are our secondary weapons!?) -Weakest story of the saga -Repetitive -"Why am I doing
    Good points:
    -Great multiplayer
    -Interaction with scenery weapons
    -Best soundtrack ever

Bad points:
    -No secondary weapons (seriously!? where the hell are our secondary weapons!?)
    -Weakest story of the saga
    -Repetitive
    -"Why am I doing this?" moments
    -No challenge puzzles
    -No sex time
    -Many DLCs coming
  19. Mar 20, 2013
    This game is extremely worse than the previous GOW, there aren't weapon variety, the plot is avarage at best and the game feels rushed as hell in some parts, the game is full of tht tedious moments that joins the camera moving from a ppoint to a point to show you what to do, mixed with a few cutscenes and QTE. Sure it has some ideas that could have made the game better, the pltforms feelThis game is extremely worse than the previous GOW, there aren't weapon variety, the plot is avarage at best and the game feels rushed as hell in some parts, the game is full of tht tedious moments that joins the camera moving from a ppoint to a point to show you what to do, mixed with a few cutscenes and QTE. Sure it has some ideas that could have made the game better, the pltforms feel more natural, the auto aim is very good for flying monsters, and the magic bar is better designed than in previous games, but it could have been much MUCH better, is impossible to recommend this game over GOW3 for example, also, the combat in this game is worse too, there is only one weapon, ONE! the rage meter sucks, because the animations in GOW always have made the enemies hard to read, and full meter almost always mean mash R3+L3, the QTE idea of evade and attack is a good base idea but it could have been better designed, so why the game is worse than the past GOWs? Simple, the multiplayer, this game does NOT need mp, is like launch Final Fantasy or Deus Ex with mp, stupid, I have played it and is a stupid mess, with random parrys, random mash, etc, it's is obvious that the sources that went to do the mp could have made the single player better, I hope that the next GOW doesn't add mp and focus on what GOW should be, an amazing single player experience, because this is only a dissapointment, I do NOT recommend its purchase. Expand
  20. Mar 24, 2013
    This game looks and plays great, but it really just feels like more God of War with a less interesting story than usual. If you're a longtime GoW fan, you'll still have plenty of fun with this game. If you're thinking about jumping into the series now, try the older games first.
  21. Mar 27, 2013
    Utter disappointment, though great game.
    New combat system is deeper, but less fluid. Elemental powers great idea, don't have the supposed effect. The combat system is not as well refined this time and this is probably because of the shift in focus towards the multiplayer. If this game came out on the Vita, it would be the best game for a portable device ever.
    If you play first GoW III
    Utter disappointment, though great game.
    If you play first GoW III and then Ascension, you can't help not being disappointed.

In each and every game of the series there's been an evolution in the combat system. Even in the PSP versions, the Thera Bane was somewhat different, but suitable. It made you feel more powerful. In Ascension, you feel less powerful, because you cannot combo anymore. Building up the rage meter should be easier, so that you could unleash your repertoir of moves. You cannot because staying untouchable isn't as easy as in the other games of the series. Even when your meter is full, you feel that it's more difficult than it should be. The arenas are crowded with enemies and they are more aggressive than ever. The parry system is destroyed sadly. The timing must be precise (not TOO precise), but the final blow is not worth the effort plus you're open to attacks. So, all you can do is evade and get 1-2 hits (not the square,square,triangle combo cause it's likely you'll get hit) and build up the rage meter so you can evade more and deal more damage in as less time as possible.

That's the thing with Ascension. You'll plan your each battle so that it takes as less time as possible. In previous GoW titles, I wanted to dissect each and every one of them. (I'm OK) In this one, because of the extended health bars of the enemies the combat seems to drag. You don't feel the brute force...

It has some great ideas, and the story (although useless) isn't half bad. The puzzles are there, the ideas and the items and the collectibles too. They also included more climbing, hanging and traversing time and tricks which is great (though the slides are more than they should).

At the end of the day, all I feel is that I wanted this game to be more. Story wise it was difficult. The decision to make a prequel brings problems. Some were solved, but some were not. All in all it's the most frustrating GoW game. And the others were not frustrating. That's why it's disappointing.

Next time, I expect Kratos to go back in time to face Titans. Please. Do that. I don' t know how. You' figure out something.

ps. The buttonless minigames and the new killing animations are in the right direction.
  22. Mar 19, 2013
    The best god of War series i`ve ever played!!! The Story Was good And The graphic.... the graphic is awesome!!! the gameplay was Same As other gow series. However because Of the new weapon system, it was fun! Also, the multiplayer is Awesome too. Beatiful graphic good story and new multiplayer made me to give this game 10 out of 10
  23. Mar 28, 2013
    Bottom Line: God of War Ascension is fun and it successfully continues to implement and expand on the puzzles and combat mechanics that have defined this franchise. However, the plot is the same repetitive story line line used in other installments of the franchises. If you are looking for something new to be adding to the God of War Mythos you won't find it in Ascension. The good: God ofBottom Line: God of War Ascension is fun and it successfully continues to implement and expand on the puzzles and combat mechanics that have defined this franchise. However, the plot is the same repetitive story line line used in other installments of the franchises. If you are looking for something new to be adding to the God of War Mythos you won't find it in Ascension. The good: God of war is addictive with his high paced action sequences and it pace changing puzzles that prevent the fighting action sequences from becoming stale. It is very easy to get immersed into the experience through the proper tone and easy flow the combat mechanics have. Nothing feels clunky or out of place and even the variety of artifacts Kratos picks up on the journey have their place in combat adding to the narrative without making it feel like a cheap gimmick. The bad: Unfortunately there is no new innovations when it comes to the plot. I obviously don't want to give away the ending, but Kratos for the longest time has been on a journey to free himself from his guilt and all this game does is continue the same plot points. You could probably replace the furies, the antagonists in this game, with Ares and you could reasonable argue that you have god of war clone. The entire plot of Ascension is pretty much the same as God of War chains of Olympus, where Kratos is told or promised that he can be free from his inner curse, but ultimately the promise falls flat. I for one was looking for a bit more. Outside of game play some puzzle are challenging not because you have to think but because you have Kratos standing in the wrong place. During my run through I came across a pinwheel puzzle and while I was able to figure out how to solve it in about 2 minutes it took me forever to figure out where I had to have Kratos stand so I could use his special artifact. Expand
  24. Mar 17, 2013
    This is my first God of War game and I gotta say it is really good. scenery and combat is outstanding as well as its other abilities and secondary weapons and combos. My complaints for this game are about the camera angle being too far for most of the game causing me to have a hard time seeing things and battling enemies. Plus there is a crap ton of mini bosses you see in the game, almostThis is my first God of War game and I gotta say it is really good. scenery and combat is outstanding as well as its other abilities and secondary weapons and combos. My complaints for this game are about the camera angle being too far for most of the game causing me to have a hard time seeing things and battling enemies. Plus there is a crap ton of mini bosses you see in the game, almost too much, but thats not necessarily bad. I like it and I think it was a good game for me to play for a change Expand
  25. Mar 15, 2013
    Jogo totalmente desnecessário, incluíram conteúdo que foi cortado de God of War 3 e acabaram inventando um jogo mediano que peca em história. Somente foi dado foco ao multiplayer. Parece que estou jogando um DLC de God of War. O game existe partes BEM CHATAS (SO BORING) que deixam o jogador desmotivado. Não digo difíceis, mas momentos de extrema apelação dos inimigos, principalmente noJogo totalmente desnecessário, incluíram conteúdo que foi cortado de God of War 3 e acabaram inventando um jogo mediano que peca em história. Somente foi dado foco ao multiplayer. Parece que estou jogando um DLC de God of War. O game existe partes BEM CHATAS (SO BORING) que deixam o jogador desmotivado. Não digo difíceis, mas momentos de extrema apelação dos inimigos, principalmente no modo hard. Expand
  26. Mar 18, 2013
    Once again critics seem to be biased. To expect the scale of what you do in GOW 3 in this game is unreasonable because there is nothing higher than the gods. Having said that this game is epic in its own right. In terms of graphics it is amazing. The music, gameplay, and replay value is also up through the roof. The game has no real flaws. Being more of the same cannot subtract 20 pointsOnce again critics seem to be biased. To expect the scale of what you do in GOW 3 in this game is unreasonable because there is nothing higher than the gods. Having said that this game is epic in its own right. In terms of graphics it is amazing. The music, gameplay, and replay value is also up through the roof. The game has no real flaws. Being more of the same cannot subtract 20 points from the game and so critics are very unreasonable and more passionate about what they would have liked in the game more than being objective and grading the game based on quality for which it doesn't fail. Proof of what I say is the 92 metacritic score of Uncharted 3, that game has less innovation than this GOW but they gave it a higher review. The truth of the matter is that GOW fans and new players alike will enjoy this game greatly and will likely replay the single player various times. As for the multiplayer, it is great and last time I looked there were very few melee type of online games so it should get more credit. People that like action games will love this game. Expand
  27. Apr 7, 2013
    Best God of War yet! Sure it doesn't have the scale of God of War II and one of the weakest storylines in the series however when it comes to gameplay, visuals and replay value (mostly due to the online component) Ascension really proves that it is the best one yet. The campaign is good if not great but this time the online mode really spices up things. It is easily one of the best onlineBest God of War yet! Sure it doesn't have the scale of God of War II and one of the weakest storylines in the series however when it comes to gameplay, visuals and replay value (mostly due to the online component) Ascension really proves that it is the best one yet. The campaign is good if not great but this time the online mode really spices up things. It is easily one of the best online modes I have ever seen in a game as it requires skill and fighting techniques rather than simply just seeing the enemy first. Overall the best game I've played this year.

Single player Mode: 9/10 (Story issues and it can get slightly repetitive although fantastic gameplay, stunning visuals and really fun boss battles but not as good as GOW III in this area)
    Online Mode: 10/10 (One of the best online modes ever!)
  28. Mar 15, 2013
    first ,the story is not clear and strong until I played the first few hours, unlike the god of war games in the other series.
    second, the audio of the game is very flat, some sound effects during the fight like muffled and very flat.
    finally, the combat of the game is much increased, and the graphics really amazing.
  29. Mar 18, 2013
    Ascension is not really a 10 game but I hate people give it a low mark. It´s a great game but slightly worst than the other GoW, only that.

I love this saga since its starting, so Ascension is not an exception.
  30. Mar 18, 2013
    Jogo incrivel!! Melhor God que ja saiu cenarios incriveis iluminação som. Peca apenas na dificuldade bem melhor do que muitos ja lancados neste ano.
  31. Mar 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't know why people vote negative this game, What do you want, guys? The gameplay: AWESOME, new moves, weapons, fights, puzzles... The graphics: Unbelievable! the blood, water, sparks, sweat, they're just outstanding! the history is no better than the last games, but it's not bad, IS A PREQUEL! WHAT ARE YOU EXPECTING!! Multiplayer is very fun and if you don't like it, is because you're a Call Of Duty Camper. GREAT GAME!! Expand
  32. Mar 22, 2013
    No, it's not as epic as GoW3 but then again it was never supposed to be, this is a prequel before the time when you became a God who could take on Gods and Titans. You're a human and so that obviously takes away some of the scale but does that make this a worse game? Hells no! This game is brilliant, it makes up for it's lack of wow factor with some fantastic puzzles (some of them areNo, it's not as epic as GoW3 but then again it was never supposed to be, this is a prequel before the time when you became a God who could take on Gods and Titans. You're a human and so that obviously takes away some of the scale but does that make this a worse game? Hells no! This game is brilliant, it makes up for it's lack of wow factor with some fantastic puzzles (some of them are ingenius), great sections of platforming, better visuals, in fact the best visuals on any console so far (until The Last of Us I bet) and a brilliant written story. The combat is also the best it's ever been. Ignore all the Xbox trolls on this site marking the game down, they're just butthurt the 360 gets one exclusive per year. Expand
  33. Mar 30, 2013
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it was ok. The story wasnt as awesome as the previous games but still worth playing. The fighting is great like usual and killing enemies in the most brutal way is still always a plus. It is missing one thing tho......no sex minigame! Whats up?!?! Would of gave a 9 if it did. If you played the others, you should play this one just to know how kratos' rageAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it was ok. The story wasnt as awesome as the previous games but still worth playing. The fighting is great like usual and killing enemies in the most brutal way is still always a plus. It is missing one thing tho......no sex minigame! Whats up?!?! Would of gave a 9 if it did. If you played the others, you should play this one just to know how kratos' rage made its amazing appearance. Expand
  34. Apr 6, 2013
    If you like god of war get this. If you've never played any then go for it. I hate to say it but there is not much new here. Monsters are the same and the boss fights are just as intense. But nothing really new here. Kratos reinvented the action scene but with the games releasing in the last year or so times are changing. From DmC combat to Metal gear rising non stop action it just seemsIf you like god of war get this. If you've never played any then go for it. I hate to say it but there is not much new here. Monsters are the same and the boss fights are just as intense. But nothing really new here. Kratos reinvented the action scene but with the games releasing in the last year or so times are changing. From DmC combat to Metal gear rising non stop action it just seems GoW should have released sooner. Expand
  35. Apr 26, 2013
    Over all. NOT impressed.

I know its bad to judge a game based off of its predecessors but, This is no where near GoW1-3.. Its a step back. WEAK story & Combat never changes.

GoW: Ascension gets a 4 simply cause of Multiplayer. Multiplayer is very satisfying and fun for me. & the only reason Im actually happy I bought GoW: Ascension.
  36. Jul 20, 2013
    Hello everyone. I play value per hard difficulty as to the single-player campaign. This is the first sound stutters often and even non-existent. Secondly, the combat system is terrible, the opponents are attacking chaotic. Attacks can be blocked only in part, the opponents can easily kratosowi stop almost any attack, and Kratos can only stop these attacks simply an enemy and only if thereHello everyone. I play value per hard difficulty as to the single-player campaign. This is the first sound stutters often and even non-existent. Secondly, the combat system is terrible, the opponents are attacking chaotic. Attacks can be blocked only in part, the opponents can easily kratosowi stop almost any attack, and Kratos can only stop these attacks simply an enemy and only if there are six or less. Cutscenes feature crazy character models disappear from the screen. Overall, the game is a piece of junk. Gow 3 when the game is a masterpiece! Do not buy God of War: Ascension. Expand
  37. Jul 11, 2013
    GoW:A -aka -How to destroy a good merchandise with a crappy and unfinished product.
    The game has nothing new to show, but in the meanwhile, it makes worse what was good in GoW 3. Enemies are just or boring or totally overpowered, fight mechanism is so bad programmed that evasion and block are both useless with weak and strong opponents. (There's a late patch to solve a dramatically hard (and boring) level...did the tester tried this game before its release?!)
    And, please, please, STOP with the damned Deadly-QTA. Really. QTA were ok when used to show some cool moves against huge opponents. They can't be used in the middle of nothing just to give you some cheap deaths and make the game play a little longer. It just sucks. Plus, the story is a nonsense, cut-scene are boring and without the well-known GoW epicness; characters other than Kratos are horrbile. (Kratos' wife seems to be copypasted from GoW 2)
  38. Jan 1, 2014
    As someone who was unimpressed with GOW 3, but was blown away by all the other GOW games, I was a little worried that this game would disappoint me in the same way the third GOW did. Thankfully "Ascension" lives up to the high standards I hold this series to. Everything about it makes for another high-quality action game that puts most of it's competition to shame.

Ascension is another

Ascension is another title that really shows off what the PS3 can do graphically. Everything looks super realistic and has a high attention to detail. These improved graphics make the gorier kills in this game even more delightfully disgusting and graphic, and there are some truly spectacular sights to behold in this game. The soundtrack is, as always, fantastic. I do feel that the story could have used a little more work, because it can get a little disorientating to jump back and forth through time. It all comes together in the end, but this is one of my least favorite GOW plots.

As far as gameplay goes everything is in tip-top shape. The amazing spectacle, brutal kills, and tight combat system make this an experience that you'll find hard to put down. Whether you're tackling an outrageously huge boss or just average enemy fodder, it's hard not to have a blast while doing so. This is the tightest the combat system has ever been. In a first for the series there's even multiplayer this time around. It's really fun and incredibly satisfying to kill an opponent, but I don't feel like it has the most staying power, at least not for me. Still, it's a nice addition and the only real complaint I have with it is related to the fact that if you buy it used or rent it you have to shell out $10 for the online pass. Seriously guys even EA learned that this isn't cool, why can't you?

Ascension manages to provide a new GOW experience while simultaneously managing to keep up to the series high expectations. In both the single player and multiplayer experiences there is an unbelievable, yet expected, high level of quality. It's not the best GOW but it is still a fantastic experience that any fan of the series should play.
  39. Aug 11, 2013
    Finished God of War: Ascension in Hard difficulty. Not only it is the worst God of War game by far, but also the buggiest game I played from Sony. First of all the not all the patches don't install, preventing me from playing the multiplayer mode. Then the game threw a horrific design choice towards the end which I thought I won't be able to finish, but luckily I did. Then the gameFinished God of War: Ascension in Hard difficulty. Not only it is the worst God of War game by far, but also the buggiest game I played from Sony. First of all the not all the patches don't install, preventing me from playing the multiplayer mode. Then the game threw a horrific design choice towards the end which I thought I won't be able to finish, but luckily I did. Then the game broke...I was so angry. I tried resetting checkpoint but didn't work. Deleted the patch, then it worked... :

Final boss battle was terribly easy as well. The game tried to make me feel bad for Kratos, it only managed to piss me off to the point I don't wanna play another GOW game ever again. Santa Monica, God of War 3 was the pinnacle of the series, it is time to move on.
  40. Oct 22, 2014
    GoW: Ascension does little to separate itself from the original GoW trilogy, it is an unnecessary addition to the franchise that doesn't develop the story or game play in any interesting ways. Nevertheless, it looks great and is very fun to play.

The multiplayer is the biggest innovation this time around and while I found the different modes on offer interesting, I simply could not get into the competition. I'm also very disappointed that there was NO local multiplayer of any kind, not even the simple co-op survival mode.
  41. Aug 14, 2013
    After playing all the other God Of Wars (except the portable versions) this game was horrible.
    It felt like a cash in of Call Of Duty where nothing changes. Granted not a lot of the God Of Wars change much but the story was so boring. Countless times playingthe game i started dozzing off in my chair and had to turn off the game. The eemies took 30sec to 1 min. each to kill on normal difficulty and there was nothing engaging about the story or character to continue through like the other games. I got 5 hours in and took the game back to gamestop. I felt so horrible doing this but i felt like i was forcing myself to complete this game instead of enjoying the experience. This is the worst God Of War in my opinion.
    Nice graphics boring gamplay horrid story
  42. Aug 21, 2013
    This version is a disappointment GOW 3 was good and the old versions but this was kind of ok release. It is ok to play just one time not good for play again and again. online feature is good by the way.
  43. Jul 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a first time GoW player. This game is fun and has an ok story. This game did a really good job at scaling the really big bosses and environments really good. It gave me slight vertigo during the scenes with huge objects. Now I would have given this game an 8 or 9 but did not realize the severity of the Trials of Achilles. I could not finish the game due to point mis management. Be warned don't max magic out. Max your main sword, artifacts, magic and health or you will not pass the trials. Expand
  44. Mar 23, 2014
    I don't understand how they cripple the greatest things that the god of war series had because of the multiplayer: the controls. They were responding instantly on other god of war games but not this one. Also the magic system has been dumbed down by giving you fixed number of casts and the moveset requires you to not get hit to be able to do the best attacks so most of the time, you willI don't understand how they cripple the greatest things that the god of war series had because of the multiplayer: the controls. They were responding instantly on other god of war games but not this one. Also the magic system has been dumbed down by giving you fixed number of casts and the moveset requires you to not get hit to be able to do the best attacks so most of the time, you will be stuck with all the starting attacks (since the controls aren't as responsive, you get hit more easily than on the other games).

The story was good, the boss fights were awesome as ever but the controls and changes on the skill/magics system are killing it for me.

I sold back the game while i kept all the others. What a waste... :(
  45. Apr 19, 2013
    after playing GOW 3 i buy the collector edition of this one and i was really disappointed because is the same as GOW 3 with a bad story and same moves even inferior than the ones in GOW 3, is a good game, but fans will know this is just Santa Monica trying to make money for their next project.
  46. Jan 24, 2014
    A huge step up from God of War 3. Ascension brings us back to the good old days of God of War. No more over talkative preachy Kratos. In God of War 3 there were too many characters with too many lines... which made for some really bad voice acting and cringe worthy/corny lines. In ascension, you feel like you're playing a real God of War game. If you're somebody who doesn't care aboutA huge step up from God of War 3. Ascension brings us back to the good old days of God of War. No more over talkative preachy Kratos. In God of War 3 there were too many characters with too many lines... which made for some really bad voice acting and cringe worthy/corny lines. In ascension, you feel like you're playing a real God of War game. If you're somebody who doesn't care about story/atmosphere/voice acting/music..... and the only thing you care about is gameplay, then this game is just like all the other god of war games. The gameplay is the same (of course)... but everything else is a great improvement from God of War 3. God of War 1 is still my favorite in the series, but Ascension has definitely moved into 2nd place. And yes, I have played all the gow game (including both PSP games). I actually have not played that mobile gow game though. Expand
  47. Apr 20, 2013
    Great game, story is very good, graphics is awesome, blood every where, epic ending. This is a great prequel and you will have a great time. The multiplayer is fun, you will keep playing this game for month
  48. Sep 1, 2013
    God of War: Ascension does not move Kratos' story along but tells a prequel story of how Kratos broke his oath with Ares. The story of Ascension is bare bones, it gives you all the details but nothing more. The characters are also uninteresting as no Gods show up in this one. The game play is a whole different story. It seems faster and smoother than any other game in the series. You onlyGod of War: Ascension does not move Kratos' story along but tells a prequel story of how Kratos broke his oath with Ares. The story of Ascension is bare bones, it gives you all the details but nothing more. The characters are also uninteresting as no Gods show up in this one. The game play is a whole different story. It seems faster and smoother than any other game in the series. You only have one weapon in Ascension, the Blades of Chaos, but that does not mean you do not have other options. Each God gives you a different power for your blades that you can upgrade. There are also other trinkets that help you in battles and puzzles. Some of the enemies are new and there death scenes are pretty brutal. The graphics are gorgeous but do not look any different from God of War 3. The multiplayer has a neat premise but in the end it just comes down to a button mash fest. God of Ascension does not break any new ground but refines what the series does best. Expand
  49. May 8, 2013
    Todd Papy is no Stig Asmussen. Gameplay is muddled by an obnoxious overuse of camera movement, excessive special effects. I shouldn't have to keep trying to figure out where Kratos is on the screen. Dodge move feels laggy. Audio seems strangely flat. Some cutscenes are unfinished. Even without the comparison to GOW3, this is the weakest in the GOW series. Disappointed. Graphics are prettyTodd Papy is no Stig Asmussen. Gameplay is muddled by an obnoxious overuse of camera movement, excessive special effects. I shouldn't have to keep trying to figure out where Kratos is on the screen. Dodge move feels laggy. Audio seems strangely flat. Some cutscenes are unfinished. Even without the comparison to GOW3, this is the weakest in the GOW series. Disappointed. Graphics are pretty amazing though. Expand
  50. Apr 26, 2013
    This is a very good game, but it is a major letdown compare to GoW 3. The gameplay is as good as ever, with new combos, powers and items. The multiplayer is a refreshing fun addition that kept me playing for hours trying to unlock new weapons. But the story struggles, because sometimes you ask yourself why we're you there, and then you remember why the point of the story was, which didn'tThis is a very good game, but it is a major letdown compare to GoW 3. The gameplay is as good as ever, with new combos, powers and items. The multiplayer is a refreshing fun addition that kept me playing for hours trying to unlock new weapons. But the story struggles, because sometimes you ask yourself why we're you there, and then you remember why the point of the story was, which didn't happened with previous GoW. Furthermore if you are a GoW fan you will love this game, if not even with issues the game is still awesome. Expand
  51. May 1, 2013
    Ascension brought multiplayer to one of the best franchises. You see Kratos smile in the game.. a genuine smile crosses his face; if that's not enough for fans out there then I don't know what is.
  52. Aug 31, 2013
    God of War Ascension is a disappointing game, but at the same time, a very good game. My exceptancys were very high, but the plot is very bad. Obviously, the game contain all the good mechanics, graphics and brutal violence of the previous games and this saves the game and makes it worth playing
  53. Apr 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A needless addition to the god of war series, I beat the game on normal in 7 hours with nothing to interest me into playing it a second time. The story wasn't there and them trying to "humanize" Kratos was something I personally didn't like. The same combat system is fine, it's always a joy to cut open an elephant's skull exposing his brain. The system works just the same as before with different powers (focusing on the chaos blades) tossed into the mixed, there's nothing wrong with more hack n slash bloody goodness. The graphics as always for god of war are gorgeous, it's certainly another pretty game to look at. There were at times some awkward camera angles and for me, Kratos would even fall off the map and I would die. This happened on the mechanical snake part and the final boss battle on the boat. Additionally the Trial of Archimedes, which was supposedly so hard for some people that the developers were releasing a patch to make it easier, was extremely easy. I beat it on my first try, the difference in that part is, you have to spend your mana wisely and maybe actually block a few times. Multi-player is just bleh. It's just kind of there in all it's button mashing glory. It really doesn't add anything to the experience and I wish they just focused more on the single player as GOW should remain a single player focus I think. As I stated above this really did not need to exist. I'm pretty upset I ended up paying $60 for this prequel and got a measly 7 hours out of it, without a really engaging story or memorable moments. Expand
  54. Mar 16, 2013
    God war Ascension I give this game about 8.9.

Sure every game and ign gotten stale on reviewers need the old ones.

But anyways the game graphics I give that 9

The Controls about 7 they were alright need some tweaking.

Camera Views about 7 as well not the best at times but I liked them.

Sound 9 soundtrack and music always the best outta every god of war.
  55. Apr 14, 2013
    this is the game you should have it ,the graphic is awesome,the gameplay improved and the story is not bad,ascension is harder than god of war 3 so you should play it
  56. Mar 17, 2013
    As many others, I am a huge fan of the GoW series. I have been eagerly waiting for the new God of War: Ascension. The game has great graphics, great effects, really good battles. There are several pluses for this game. But I was utterly disappointed after I started playing the game. This game lacked the story and intensity other GoW games had. I am really surprised that theAs many others, I am a huge fan of the GoW series. I have been eagerly waiting for the new God of War: Ascension. The game has great graphics, great effects, really good battles. There are several pluses for this game. But I was utterly disappointed after I started playing the game. This game lacked the story and intensity other GoW games had. I am really surprised that the developers called it Gow IV! They should have considered this with Ghost of Sparta and Chains of Olympus- of course with better graphics. If I wasn't such a huge fan and a desire to own all the GoW games, I would have certainly sent it back and asked for my money back. Expand
  57. Mar 19, 2013
    God Of War Ascension: Is in my opinion the best in the series. The graphics are amazing and the story is great. Well worth £40,The only moan I have is the camera can switch, which can be annoying.
  58. Mar 19, 2013
    What I love: improvements to the fighting mechanics. I absolutely love the tethering, the rage meter and accompanied increased blade speed, the angled aerial fighting (hitting opponents in the air while kratos is still on the ground), and the kicky and punchy you can add to combos. These add to the most satisfying combat the series has seen, for me anyways. I also loved that they broughtWhat I love: improvements to the fighting mechanics. I absolutely love the tethering, the rage meter and accompanied increased blade speed, the angled aerial fighting (hitting opponents in the air while kratos is still on the ground), and the kicky and punchy you can add to combos. These add to the most satisfying combat the series has seen, for me anyways. I also loved that they brought back the "adventure feel" to this game that was similar to gow 1 and 2 but was missing in 3. The promptless mini games were an upgrade as well. The story was confusing the first time through flashing back 3 and then 2 weeks but it did so in similar fashion to gow 1 which gave some nostalgia. But id say leave the non linear narrative to tarantino. I aslo feel this games score is the strongest in the series. And for me that makes a big difference. i hope they get bates to do the next game. All in all I had an absolute blast playing this game. Really worth picking up Expand
  59. Mar 19, 2013
    The most amazing new thing about Ascension is the battle mini-games, where you no longer use Quick Time Events, but something new, like well you do a finish move a on enemy the camera changes you movement gets limited and you can attack and evade only, do this right for some time and the brutal kill happens, this is better than boring Quick Time Events. The multiplayer is one of the bestThe most amazing new thing about Ascension is the battle mini-games, where you no longer use Quick Time Events, but something new, like well you do a finish move a on enemy the camera changes you movement gets limited and you can attack and evade only, do this right for some time and the brutal kill happens, this is better than boring Quick Time Events. The multiplayer is one of the best parts of the game, each map is unique, so when you play Desert of The lost Souls you can kill the Cyclops but on other map you can take control of a Giant Medusa, each weapon has 2 magic attacks with more than 20 weapons makes more than 50 different magic attacks. And a Human kratos is waiting for you on the single player. They even make you fight 2 bosses at the same time. The trial of arquimedes that some reviewers complain is the hardest part of the game, but i got pass this and only died there two times.

Pros: Amazing graphics, amazing soundtrack, amazing multiplayer, you get to know kratos better.

Cons:Some bugs.
  60. Mar 22, 2013
    Excellent addition to the series so much more compelling than GoW3. I really had so much fun throughout the entire game and almost finished my second play through. A breath of fresh air to the series and a must play Ps3 title.
  61. Mar 23, 2013
    It is not GOW 4. think about it as a fun addition to the franchise.

The locations and visuals are amazing, the combat is great and the main antagonists are alot of fun.

9/10 for me.
  62. Mar 24, 2013
    In God of War: Ascension, you play as Kratos, the ghost of sparta, who has broken a bloodoak with Ares, Kratos is locked up and tortured by the furies, the keepers of justice. When Kratos Escapes from their prison, he begins his quest for the eyes of truth, to kill the furies. And then break the bond with Ares, to finish him off. The story in god of war: ascension’s is great, as you get aIn God of War: Ascension, you play as Kratos, the ghost of sparta, who has broken a bloodoak with Ares, Kratos is locked up and tortured by the furies, the keepers of justice. When Kratos Escapes from their prison, he begins his quest for the eyes of truth, to kill the furies. And then break the bond with Ares, to finish him off. The story in god of war: ascension’s is great, as you get a look into his earlier life, and how he became who he is. As for gameplay wise, the combat is super smooth, and looks incredible as always. In the previous games, you could buy new weapons and so on, but in ascension, you cannot buy new weapons. You can upgrade them though, which really makes a different. God of War, has always been known for the Quick-Time events, usually, I am not a big fan of them, but in Ascension, they add to the experience in a good way, being able to completely destroy a creature in an incredible brutal way, looks awesome, and feels very rewarding.

The God of War fixed camera, both makes and breaks the experience. It really does make you enjoy the environment and the beautiful game that this is. But, sometimes it is just taken too far, it will at some battle moments zoom way too far away, so that it is almost impossible to see yourself, and the fight, other than the slight moments of zooming away, the locked camera works really good. Just like the graphics in this game, the creatures are both terrifying, and stunning at the same time, there are a load of different creatures and bosses, which makes it even more interesting.

A thing that the God of War games have been criticised before with, is that it is repetitive, in Ascension, it is not as repetitive as the earlier ones, they have really worked to make it non repetitive, with new puzzles and exciting areas.

A new addition to the God of War series, is the multiplayer, this is phenomenal and is a great addition to the franchise! In the multiplayer you can play up to 8 people, in 4 modes, there is the usual “FFA” “Team Deathmatch” and so on, but with a God of War twitch, for example. In the map: The Desert of the Lost Souls, you play two teams of four in a deathmatch type area, but in the background, we have Titan Cyclops Polyphemus, who is attacking the player while you are fighting around, this really adds to the experience.

God of War Ascension, is a game that both old and newcomers to the series will enjoy, it is about 8 hours long on the normal difficulty, and the multiplayer adds a lot of extra hours if you are interested in that, the only downside is the slight overuse of quicktime events, and the fixed camera sometimes move too far away. We give Ascension a 9/10. For more gaming news and reviews, head over to BetaLoot.com
  63. Apr 8, 2013
    This game feels hollow. While visually impressive and tight in combat, everything feels old and dated. The story is pointless and not interesting, it doesn't add depth to Kratos or make his story more interesting, it just feels empty. That being said it is still god of war and slaughtering foes is still fun. If a major improvement isn't made for the inevitable next entry into the seriesThis game feels hollow. While visually impressive and tight in combat, everything feels old and dated. The story is pointless and not interesting, it doesn't add depth to Kratos or make his story more interesting, it just feels empty. That being said it is still god of war and slaughtering foes is still fun. If a major improvement isn't made for the inevitable next entry into the series people may begin to loose interest. Expand
  64. Apr 8, 2013
    This game dosent hold a candle to the other god of wars. There were more riddles and climbing that actual fighting but it was still enjoyable enough to play through the entire campaign. Multiplayer was fun and i still play it but God of War 3 was much more better and intense.
  65. Apr 11, 2013
    Sony needs to take a break from the God of War series, as it is apparent they have wandered off the path of leading the charge of making the #1 action-adventure game.

Very strange advancing in story, flow of gameplay is awkward, you cannot backtrack when you want to, but do backtrack in odd ways later on, unable to reach secrets you may have missed. The combat doesn't feel as perfected as God of War 3. It's also much harder to avoid getting hit, stunned, and interrupted. Some skills cannot be used in a number of fights due to being interrupted and stunned constantly, that includes most area-of-effect moves. I dislike the weapon "elements" system, I find myself missing alternate weapons which all previous God of War games had. I dislike using weapons you find lying around, as most feel inferior (not the hammer, though, lack of moves still). Puzzles are also a bit "off," in this game compared to the others. The world in some places also feel hollow, such as in the "water wheel" area. And also, strange sudden difficulty spikes.

I hope future God of War titles don't trend in the same vein as this game. Please return to the God of War 3 feeling. It doesn't have to be as..."epic," but the feeling experienced throughout the GoW 3 is what Sony should aim for, in consistency.
  66. Apr 14, 2013
    Ascension is a Great and Awesome game with Improved combat system but the storyline is great but it didn't explain much of kratos origins but its a great game that many GOW fans will enjoy
  67. Jun 14, 2013
    Yup this game is God of War that is for sure, but this game is not the same caliber as GOW3, this game feels lazy in comparison. The story isn't that great and its just the same old same old. I found this game to be pretty boring. Graphics were good but meh..
  68. Apr 24, 2013
    Absolutely brutal. This game has almost everything a good God Of War game should have, minus an amazing story. While the story is still great, it falls a bit short compared to other GoW titles. The gameplay is still loveable, ESPECIALLY the online play.
  69. Jun 11, 2013
    God of War Ascension is the prequel to the God of war series, before the very first God of War.

As a big God of War fan, the first significant difference I noticed in Ascension is the game play and the improved graphics. There are a lot of improvements in the graphics as mention before, when you brutally slice and dice a cyclops stomach open, you can see the guts and other insides spewing right out. Kratos now get covered in blood when fighting enemies. LIKE!

Gameplay, however was changed significantly. Instead of possessing different kinds of big weapons taken from various Boss enemies, Kratos is limited to his "blades of Chaos', his default weapons. However, he can carry one additional weapon found in the world, or fallen enemies such as swords, javelins or even clubs and use it towards his advantage. The traditional "God powers" gained in the game are "elemental" powers from corresponding Gods. For example, one power is gained from Zeus which allows you to coat your blades of chaos with lightning, and unlocking more special combos. Because of these powers, it makes combat feel very repetitive as you constantly using the same weapon with a different element attached to it.

Initially in combat, Kratos cannot use all his combos and powers. Kratos now has a 'rage' meter, displayed at the bottom right of the screen whenever he engages in combat. In order to use his fighting combos more effectively, the meter has to be filled out completely, and sometimes if unlocked, you have the ability to perform a 'special' move depending on which corresponding power you have equipped. It is a massive chore to fill the meter up, because if you get hit, the meter decreases, and it delays you to use the good powers.

Another good thing is the fact that there are numerous amounts of new enemies to be battled! Each new enemy now has a unique fighting style, significantly more different than from the previous God of War games. You will almost never fight the same enemy constantly in this game, as there are new ones coming in constantly, which require you to come up with new tactics in order to defeat them.

A annoyance i discovered in the game is the difficulty system affecting gameplay. Instead of enemies killing you easier as you increase the difficulty, the enemies become harder to kill, which can be such a chore as it will sometimes take forever just to kill your basic enemy.

The story does not explain too much, but it fills in a few gaps about Kratos past and what happened before his pursue on Ares.

The game is still bloody good though, above average quality.

Summary:

Like:
    -Brand new enemies to be fought
    -Improved graphics
    -Fun gameplay

Dislike:
    -Gameplay can be quite repetitive at times.
    -No more badass powers that made God of War, God of War.
    -Difficulty setting makes enemies harder to kill, making combat a chore sometimes.
  70. Apr 25, 2013
    i really like this game i played the Ps3 version and it looks incredible, but in my opinion its almost the same in GOW 3 same kind of history nothing new only characters and the new multiplayer but still i recommend this game no doubt
  71. Apr 26, 2013
    I have to say that I wasnt looking forward to this game because it seemed to almost feel like a rushed prequel to get it out on the market before Gears of War. Now after playing it through fully and getting the best experiance possible with it, I am actually impressed. The classic challenging level puzzels are back and you want Kratos to seek and destroy all those who stand to oppose him.I have to say that I wasnt looking forward to this game because it seemed to almost feel like a rushed prequel to get it out on the market before Gears of War. Now after playing it through fully and getting the best experiance possible with it, I am actually impressed. The classic challenging level puzzels are back and you want Kratos to seek and destroy all those who stand to oppose him. This is going back to its GOW 1 and 2 roots. Story was interesting and kept your interest at times to see how it plays out. It is however better than GOW3 and its a must own for any fan of the series. Expand
  72. Apr 29, 2013
    God of War Ascension may not be as epic as God of War III, but this is a prequel, and it is an amazing game with satisfying combat and fun multiplayer.
  73. May 1, 2013
    Ascension is a good game no doubt but when I had finished it i was left feeling a bit unsatisfied. The graphics and combat are as good as ever but it misses that mark that God of War 3 reached. It feels just a bit less grander and epic then 3 did which is a bit disappointing but it is still good enough for your time. On the plus side however Kratos shows his more human side which is niceAscension is a good game no doubt but when I had finished it i was left feeling a bit unsatisfied. The graphics and combat are as good as ever but it misses that mark that God of War 3 reached. It feels just a bit less grander and epic then 3 did which is a bit disappointing but it is still good enough for your time. On the plus side however Kratos shows his more human side which is nice and the battle between the furies on the statue of apollo reminded me how awesome Kratos is. A good game but just missing that spark of brilliance 3 had. Expand
  74. May 4, 2013
    Sony at its finest.

Sony at its finest.

If you're a fan of the God of War Franchise it doesn't get any better than this. Graphics are breathtaking(The best art I've seen coming from Santa Monica), the combat system is a masterpiece in variety and simplicity (It never gets old and magic is more fun and powerful than ever) the platform and puzzle elements are back(some parts took me back to the PS2 debut) and the story gives us a badass Kratos and some very interesting characters and bosses.

The only sin of Ascension is coming after GOW3 and his unavoidable impact on the media and the fans.

Ascension, in my opinion, is the highest point in the history of everybody's favorite spartan.
  75. May 25, 2013
    This game is a step backwards in story and gameplay. The stories villains don't stand up well to the likes of Ares and Zeus. Kratos movement seems slower and less responsive but this could be a clever way to show you his skills are closer to a mortal in ascension. Overall I think combat and story sell this franchise and ascension is just not a grand enough story like we're used toThis game is a step backwards in story and gameplay. The stories villains don't stand up well to the likes of Ares and Zeus. Kratos movement seems slower and less responsive but this could be a clever way to show you his skills are closer to a mortal in ascension. Overall I think combat and story sell this franchise and ascension is just not a grand enough story like we're used to getting. It is still tons of fun. Also has online multiplayer that can be addictive. Expand
  76. May 25, 2013
    The story is not as good as claimed, Not as cool boss fights as GOW3. Most enemies can be conclusively grabbed then thrown away and the fighting is over all broken. I give it 5 cuz i like GOW2.
  77. Jun 2, 2013
    I was on the fence about Ascension, especially after the greatness that is God of War 3. I was pleasantly surprised once I played it. They put a lot of time into the game, and it looks great. Even the multi-player is fun. I was very skeptical at firs, but ended up loving it. I knocked it a little for being so short, and honestly, after 2 prequels (this being the third) I am ready forI was on the fence about Ascension, especially after the greatness that is God of War 3. I was pleasantly surprised once I played it. They put a lot of time into the game, and it looks great. Even the multi-player is fun. I was very skeptical at firs, but ended up loving it. I knocked it a little for being so short, and honestly, after 2 prequels (this being the third) I am ready for something that happens later (which we may get on the PS4). Expand
  78. Jun 7, 2013
    God of war acension is a prequel to the best selling and innovative series. Based before the original god of war you play as kratos as he tries to find a way to break his blood oath with Ares, the god of war.

The story focuses on kratos' struggle against the furies, 3 godlike sisters who are in control of kratos' bloodoath. While not as epic or interesting as the storyline from gow 3, this games story is still good enough to keep you interested and shows the player a more human side to kratos. He's still a badass who destroys everything in his way, but this earlier incarnation of kratos displays a bit more empathy and fragility than what we are used to.

The gameplay is pretty familiar with anyone who's played the other games in the series. It's a mixture of hack+slash game with platform and puzzle elements. There are a few new mechanics however. An elemental system is featured, where you can choose between lightning, ice, soul and fire attacks. Some enemies are more vunerable to a certain element, which adds a bit of strategy to the combat system. Also in this game is a grapple attack which is very similar to scorpians famous harpoon move from mortal kombat. About halfway through the game you aquire two items which grant you new abilities. The first has the power to either heal or decay your surroundings, which is essential in getting passed a few of the puzzles. This can also be used in battle, freezing enemies in time and leaving them open for attacks. The second item gives you the power to create a copy of yourself which can be used in combat to dish out extra punishment and is also needed to complete puzzles.

Graphically the game is very impressive. The detail on the environments and the bosses is awe inspiring. Santa Monica really pushed the ps3 to its limits with this title

To sum up this is a very enjoyable game and a worthy edition to the series. It's not quite as good as god of war 3 as the story doesn't suck you in as much and the gameplay ain't quite as epic, but its still one hell of a game.
  79. Jun 30, 2013
    This game is as God of War, as God of War can be. From the regular brutal slayings of mammoth sized to the sound of a titan hitting the ground. God of War Ascension ascends past all of its previous entries and in doing so stumbles in one major pitfall. One it created by it's own choosing might I add, the multiplayer. The multiplayer feels like a haphazard idea from the moment you wince atThis game is as God of War, as God of War can be. From the regular brutal slayings of mammoth sized to the sound of a titan hitting the ground. God of War Ascension ascends past all of its previous entries and in doing so stumbles in one major pitfall. One it created by it's own choosing might I add, the multiplayer. The multiplayer feels like a haphazard idea from the moment you wince at the sight of it being proudly displayed at the back of the box. God of War has become a goliath in a world of video game giants. Rivaling the likes of Half life, Halo, and Mario. Yet, for some reason, Sony Santa Monica doesn't feel as confident as they should with solely delivering the best single player experience possible. While multiplayer will undoubtedly become a cult favorite, the following it gather ultimately will never have been worth what could have been their swan song on the PS3.
    Conclusion: GoW is a great game. It has my favorite gameplay of the series despite an unusual choice for the parry system. It has the best graphics, the best sound design, a wonderful story, and a Kratos that could be considered the polar opposite of GoW 3's Kratos which is nice. Unfortunately with the multiplayer I will forever be left wonder what GoW Ascension could have been, instead relishing what it is.
  80. Jul 25, 2013
    I have finished the whole God of War games. This game doesn't invent anything new. Yes, if ain't broke don't fix it. But the year is 2013 now. The multiplayer is fun but it won't keep you busy so much. The story is a bit interested. But don't expect the epic boss fights in God of War 3. Still I think that it will worth a rent or a piece drop.
  81. Aug 3, 2013
    This game is a master peace it is the best looking game on the ps3 atm, a must buy for all gow fans and it is a great edition to the story. I love this so so very much a must buy if you own a ps3
  82. Aug 12, 2013
    As a big fan of GOW fan, I am totally disappointed. I mean, they did a great job, they added a completely different gameplay but still, single-player is not good enough. It's good, but not THAT good. Storyline is totally trash, enemies are the same and you can only use your main weapon (Blades Of Chaos)(There are 4 elements but they are not effective enough).
    To sum up, Ascension is made
    To sum up, Ascension is made for multiplayer.
  83. Aug 17, 2013
    I love GOW... But this one let me down... The camera was so far pulled back at times you couldn't even see Kratos... GOW 3 was so awesome and than this came out made me wanna cry.
  84. Jan 30, 2014
    God of War Ascension is a prequel to the original game. The GoW have become famous for insanely epic battles, gratuitous violence, and equally epic stories. Ascension continues this tradition, though, as a prequel, it naturally comes in somewhere below GoW 3.

Even from the first moments, you live out some of the epic scenes that this series embraces--fighting the enormous Hecatoncheries.

Gameplay:
    Many aspects of play have been fine-tuned and tweaked. Making the overall experience pretty smooth. There was only a single section that irritated me--a platforming piece that reminded me of the tower of blades in the original game. Not so much the context, which was completely different, but the ease with which you could instantly die. Combined with the fact that, after death, reloading takes several annoying seconds, this was enough to dampen my enjoyment of the game.

At its best, it feels like a finely refined version of the classic formula. At its worst, it reminds me of some basic weaknesses in the franchise never really corrected--namely that it can occasionally step over the line between challenging and frustrating.

Graphics:
    Yeah, it's absolutely gorgeous. The monsters are beautifully crafted titanic abominations fought in great set piece battles. Sometimes, in fact, the game tries so hard to pull of the epic confrontations, it pulls the camera out farther than I'd have liked. If I'm fighting a pack of guys, I want to be able to clearly see where my character is. But this only happened a few times, so it was a minor gripe.

Story:
    The story follows Kratos's attempts to break his bond with Ares, before he sets out on the original quest to destroy the God of War. He is constantly haunted by the Furies. The story is told out of order, and initially is confusing--which fits well based on its theme of the Furies driving Kratos made for breaking his oath. It's really pretty good.

Overall, a solid entry that I'd have rated slightly higher if not for a few gripes (mentioned above) that detracted from the experience.
  85. Sep 22, 2013
    Not up to the expectations. Really poor work done!!! Its the worst. Its worse than GOW 2 & 3. Its almost same. Mostly all the same. Only a minority of new things are done. Giving it one over 10 for its storyline which is it only plus point in the game of all other aspects.
  86. Sep 27, 2013
    Ascension has breathtaking visuals, the gameplay for the most part has remained the same but is not better than GOW IIIs gameplay. The story is really good and their is some character development throughout the game, this game has one of the best boss battles i have ever seen. Overall this is a solid entry for the franchise.
  87. Sep 28, 2013
    God of War: Ascension respeta la temático y los movimientos clásicos de God of War. Un punto criticable serían los duros cambios en la jugabilidad del juego, pero lo compensa con sus complejos puzzles y peleas que son totalmente divertidas, además en el final del juego nos espera a todos una sorpresa, pero más que nada Santa Monica's Studio creó este juego para mostrar que no han perdidoGod of War: Ascension respeta la temático y los movimientos clásicos de God of War. Un punto criticable serían los duros cambios en la jugabilidad del juego, pero lo compensa con sus complejos puzzles y peleas que son totalmente divertidas, además en el final del juego nos espera a todos una sorpresa, pero más que nada Santa Monica's Studio creó este juego para mostrar que no han perdido el toque y siguen vigentes todavía. Expand
  88. Nov 21, 2013
    this is absolutely the most disapointing game released this year,there is only one good thing in this game wich is the graphics and nothing more,it's almost the same of the others god of war.
  89. Nov 14, 2013
    Sound: Nice soundtrack, great voice acting. 10.

Graphics: The best GOW graphics to date. 10. Gameplay: Hack and slash game like the previous title with a while lot of new features. There’s different god-like blades which add to the hack and slash mechanics. The game never feels like its repeating itself, Ascension does an amazing job of keeping just the right pace. The
    Sound: Nice soundtrack, great voice acting. 10.

Graphics: The best GOW graphics to date. 10.

Gameplay: Hack and slash game like the previous title with a while lot of new features. There’s different god-like blades which add to the hack and slash mechanics. The game never feels like its repeating itself, Ascension does an amazing job of keeping just the right pace. The puzzles are just perfect, not too challenging, but just the right challenge. The gameplay has a more focused camera angles which makes it feel more in your face realism. Multiplayer has been added and it’s not revolutionary but it is a great added bonus to an already superb title. 10.

Story: I enjoyed how the story is told in this game; past, present, past, present. The ending falls short compared to God of War 3. And it felt like it ended too quickly, and that the story’s pacing was a little rushed. Overall it was a great story, but not the best in the God of War series. 8.5.

Replay Value: I beat the game on normal in about 8 hours, plus the game has multiplayer. This isn’t last minute cash in and I’d definitely recommend this game. The gameplay is better at mixing things up when compared to God of War 3, but the story falls a little short. 10.

Overall Score: 9.7 out of 10.
  90. Jun 7, 2014
    I love the ancient Greek mythology, so all the elements and the environments inspired by this really wins all the positive points in my rating, but honestly, in it's core, this is basically very average console smasher that might entertain you for a couple hours, but that's it. In places it tries to be something more, by including some puzzles here and there, but they have been moreI love the ancient Greek mythology, so all the elements and the environments inspired by this really wins all the positive points in my rating, but honestly, in it's core, this is basically very average console smasher that might entertain you for a couple hours, but that's it. In places it tries to be something more, by including some puzzles here and there, but they have been more annoying than anything, only slowing the pace down. This was my first God Of War and I heard it's the worst piece in the series, so I might give the other ones a try, but if it's anything like this, I don't know what the fuss is about. 5/10 Expand
  91. Nov 22, 2013
    God of War: Ascension was a disappointment and it didn't live upto my expectation was hoping 3 was perfect the way it ended and it would had been the end of the franchise. i played 1, 2 and 3 and it was the best experience i had. the new combat system was really hard to learn and i died a lot of times which made the gameplay more frustrating and the game that is supposed to be solelyGod of War: Ascension was a disappointment and it didn't live upto my expectation was hoping 3 was perfect the way it ended and it would had been the end of the franchise. i played 1, 2 and 3 and it was the best experience i had. the new combat system was really hard to learn and i died a lot of times which made the gameplay more frustrating and the game that is supposed to be solely single player was made multiplayer. introducing multiplayer is the only for the game play biggest mistake ever and it did induce harm on the God Of series. hope the PS4 version is single player. would had rated 6 but for the combat system and for multiplayer -5 Expand
  92. Nov 24, 2013
    Another brilliant game to add to the series,combat remains the same ,if its not broke don't fix it ,the only problem now is where does the epic spartan warrior go from here
  93. Feb 2, 2014
    I was looking forward to this game, because I played God of War III and I really enjoyed it. GoW: Ascension did not disappoint my expectations. Fantastic graphics, breathtaking game scenes. Amazing gameplay. Plus a story. Unforgettable game.
  94. Jan 2, 2014
    Ascension is a good game, but should a God of War game really just be good? Compared to God of War 3, ascension is nothing! The multiplayer is pretty good but gets boring fast and the story is utter crap aside from the first boss battle. A good game but a very disappointing addition to the series.
  95. Feb 10, 2014
    While ascension is a fun game and the main mechanics are still satisfying it lacks the punch that god of war 3 had. The story is weak and lacks consequences of any form. The bossfights and new enemies are less memorable. In a desperate attempt to top the last game in the franchise its more violent than ever and at times some finishing moves feel like a snuff film directed by Zack Snyder.
  96. Mar 3, 2014
    A visual appealing game with some creative boss fights, suffers for a complete lack of gripping story, exploitation and repetitiveness.
    While graphically this game is amazing, i didn't see any purpose to the end goal.
    Climbing high buildings, running away from crumbing floors and fighting waves of enemy's is fun at first but quickly becomes repetitive and feels like a chore. The camera
    The camera angles are also something left to be desired, with your character sometimes getting lost mid fight in all the action.
  97. Feb 22, 2014
    I love the God of Series! This game is great...however not as good as God of War 3. I wish there was more boss battles in this game. I had doubts about the multiplayer but it turned out amazing! This game is about 8 hours long which is a good length for these kinds of games. The story was alittle weak but still good. The combat was pretty similar to the other games in the series. There isI love the God of Series! This game is great...however not as good as God of War 3. I wish there was more boss battles in this game. I had doubts about the multiplayer but it turned out amazing! This game is about 8 hours long which is a good length for these kinds of games. The story was alittle weak but still good. The combat was pretty similar to the other games in the series. There is a good amount of weapons and magic abilities to choose from. Overall, great job cant wait til God of War on PS4! Expand
  98. Mar 7, 2014
    Before picking up this game, I had never played a GoW game, or even a Ps3. I had always owned an Xbox.

I was floored by the graphics, the depth of the storyline, and the overall likeability of the game. I liked it so much I went and bought GoW 1-3, and I'm looking forward to the games that many are saying are better. Many of the complaints are legit, but I think, as a new fan, it is

Many of the complaints are legit, but I think, as a new fan, it is worth picking up.
  99. Mar 17, 2014
    I love god of war, the only thing that annoys me is that there is no room for anything alse but fight, fight, fight. Although i have nothing against blood and gore this is a bit too much and game is also too short i have finished it in 2 days :/
  100. Apr 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. این بازی مثه سری قبل فوق العاده بود و من خیلی دوستش داشتم .
    همه چیز در حد فوق العاده بود....

1. Jun 16, 2013
    God of War: Ascension does exactly what you would expect from a God of War title.The sheer amount of violence and tension is simply breathtaking, especially when taking place right on top of a giant creature. The entire experience is accompanied by stunning graphics and an impressive soundtrack. While the multiplayer is somewhat disappointing, it is apparent that Kratos is still this generation's most fearsome warrior.
  2. May 7, 2013
    You can point out that Ascension failed to make a real step forward. You can argue that the multiplayer mode is a foreign body, a strained attempt to find innovation in the wrong place. That’s true, but in my eyes the foundation built by the previous God of War games proved to be strong enough to sustain what I hope is just the calm before the storm that Kratos will unleash on PS4. And damn, Ascension looks unbelievable! [CD-Action 05/2013, p.64]
  3. Ascension shows a warrior who is miles away from being the ultimate and flawless killing machine we all know and love. He is more like an unguided projectile here, trying to cope with all the injustice delivered unto him. [April 2013, p.62]