• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Mar 12, 2013
7.5

1. Mar 15, 2013
    God of War: Ascension has the best graphics in this generation and kratos looks like next gen(most detailed character ever.....even better than in gow III).......gameplay is awesome with refined combat than ever.......sure the story didn't impress me as much as in previous entries as well as the boss fights but the multiplayer makes up for that.......
  2. Mar 15, 2013
    bought it for the mp. never played anything so unbalanced, chaotic and frustrating like this game... hope they will bring up some patches. actually, its just nice for a few rounds/evenings, but at some point you recognize its less depending on skill than it looks. it depends mostly on your weapons "L1+square" & "L1+triangle" skills, and a little bit of luck (at some point enemys are donebought it for the mp. never played anything so unbalanced, chaotic and frustrating like this game... hope they will bring up some patches. actually, its just nice for a few rounds/evenings, but at some point you recognize its less depending on skill than it looks. it depends mostly on your weapons "L1+square" & "L1+triangle" skills, and a little bit of luck (at some point enemys are done with less than 2 combos)...you will get kicked out, one-shoted, seeing others getting your kill, getting no kill cos of animationbugs, or getting a kill without doing anything, or things like unblockable light attacks, etc pp. resumee: unless some patching mp is nothing serious Expand
  3. Apr 17, 2013
    You know when you're trying to add another game in a video game saga that's amazing as phuck, it's hard to outdo yourself. It's a solid game. The story is nowhere near as interesting but with all that, it's a good game. A game that's worthy to buy when it's 20 bucks.
  4. Mar 12, 2013
    This version noticeably has an arcade like polish to it, sort of like a Japanese style. However epic isn't the word. The first 30 minutes of this smashes GOW3. It's a must for fans and even better for newcomers.
  5. Apr 11, 2013
    I was against this release as i was tired of GOW i loved all of them but had enuff i platinumed all of them on ps3. So this was a no purchase so a friend bought it and said it was really good so i borrowed it and credit were credit is due its really good. an 8.5 from me. Why i rate it so highly number one Kratos is as brutal as ever this game is the most violent yet (not that i am a sheerI was against this release as i was tired of GOW i loved all of them but had enuff i platinumed all of them on ps3. So this was a no purchase so a friend bought it and said it was really good so i borrowed it and credit were credit is due its really good. an 8.5 from me. Why i rate it so highly number one Kratos is as brutal as ever this game is the most violent yet (not that i am a sheer fan of brutality per SE but when its done right and its kratos then its perfect. The graphics are extremely good i have seen better but definitely nothing to complain about. It looses marks story wise its no where near GOW 3's epic story telling. I must note that enemy design is best in series. I am sorry santa monica i owe u a purchase. You rekindled my love for GOW and if you are ever to release it on ps4 i ll buy!! Expand
  6. Mar 21, 2013
    8.5 out of 10. God of War is my favorite gaming franchise and I expect the best from Sony Santa Monica. Ascension is a gorgeous game that retains the great combat the series is known for and plenty of mythological creatures are present for disemboweling. While the game is not as high on spectacle as III (honestly, how could it be?) the single player campaign is holds its own in comparison8.5 out of 10. God of War is my favorite gaming franchise and I expect the best from Sony Santa Monica. Ascension is a gorgeous game that retains the great combat the series is known for and plenty of mythological creatures are present for disemboweling. While the game is not as high on spectacle as III (honestly, how could it be?) the single player campaign is holds its own in comparison to the previous titles. The story is just as mediocre as earlier games, but its odd pacing in the beginning is a hindrance and hurts the experience. It is also a shorter length, more or less the same as III depending on difficulty and skill level. The multiplayer is a blast and all alignments seem to be pretty balanced, however, the new parry system that works well online serves to hamper single player defense. All in all, it's definitely a worthy title and I look forward to what's in store for the franchise next gen. One can only hope for a new mythology and a new protagonist to tear it down. Expand
  7. Mar 15, 2013
    Comprehensive review of the single player (haven't even tried multiplayer yet and single player is why I play this series) from an oldschool gamer (for those who care to read a review that's probably way too long lol)

Been in love with this series since the first game. I've been gaming since the early 90's, and mostly I prefer old school games. But something about the GOW series really stands out to me- the combination of outrageous graphics, epic soundtrack and bosses, the combat, story, etc. Playing these games on hard or titan difficulty results in a huge adrenaline rush, after going through the same fight 15 times, only to finally win with just a sliver of life remaining. The combat and controls are always so tight that when you die, you really feel like it's your own fault and not the game's cheapness. Despite some of the reviews floating around, for me this game is no different in that regard. The changes in combat do make the game feel a bit different than previous ones, but after playing through 6 god of war games multiple times, I welcome some variety. If it had been identical to previous ones, I can GUARANTEE that people would rip it apart for being too similar. At least they tried something a little different, in terms of the parry system and move list. This is a prequel, so Kratos should be weaker than in GoW 3. This is well represented by the game being slightly more challenging, and by throwing more enemies at you. The claims that it is cheap in its difficulty are exaggerated though; I never have to do a fight more than a few times to continue.

GRAPHICS- the best the series has seen. Amazing setpieces, lighting, animations, depth of field effects, motion blur. Probably the best looking console game I've EVER seen.
    AUDIO- epic soundtrack as always. Noticed a few audio glitches, but I heard they will be patched, and it's nothing too serious, unless you're a whiny who likes to complain about every minor detail.
    GAMEPLAY- some of the finest, most intense combat the series has seen. I do prefer the old parry system, but I appreciate that they tried to change it up, to translate Kratos' early period/relative weakness into a gameplay mechanic. I also think this game has by far the most interesting puzzles in the entire series.
    STORY- here is where the game takes a bit of a hit compared to previous games. Definitely the weakest in the entire series in terms of story. I mean, GoW 3 has you killing the king of the gods, as well as his entire crew...how can you possibly come close to matching that. The first 5-6 hours has a story that is paper thin, and had me trying to remember what was the plot and why was I fighting? But the fact is this is already the third prequel they have made for this series, and therefore a lot of backstory has already been explored. It's not that the story is bad, more like nonexistent. Eventually things do pick up in terms of plot progression, but really the first half of the game felt like pure GoW minus any plot. Definitely feels a bit weird. Ultimately though, the gameplay, graphics, soundtrack, and overall epicness of the setpieces, and brutality of the action add up to make an excellent game. Even IF this is the worst in the series in terms of story, it still DESTROYS most other games out there, and as a prequel I think it is still a very entertaining and well made game. No other game gets me to actually scream and bug out as I play, from the excitement it generates. This game is no different. The biggest downside besides the lack of a truly compelling story, is the fact that now I have to wait 3 or more years to play GoW 4 on the ps4. I really don't want to wait that long. Oh well, the multiplayer should hopefully keep me busy until then
  8. Mar 24, 2013
    This game is absolutely great! The graphics are unbelievably pretty, the gameplay is smoother and better than ever, the sound is beautiful and the story is great. The new multiplayer component is absolutely brilliant! I haven't had so much fun multiplayer/co-op is years! This is a great game for any fans of the series or genre. God of War: Ascension is a must buy!
  9. Mar 18, 2013
    One of the stupidest comments I've ever heard this generation is people complaining that this is too much of the same God of War. The has only been ONE console GoW realease this ENTIRE GENERATION! If it was released ever christmas like other franchises and it was always the same then of course it would be annoying. But who cares if it's similiar to it's ONE console sequel this generation.One of the stupidest comments I've ever heard this generation is people complaining that this is too much of the same God of War. The has only been ONE console GoW realease this ENTIRE GENERATION! If it was released ever christmas like other franchises and it was always the same then of course it would be annoying. But who cares if it's similiar to it's ONE console sequel this generation. Not only that, but to make their comments even more stupid... it's NOT the same! There are numerous gameplay differences. Not to mention GoW3 is one of the best games ever. And this game lives up to that game. C'mon gamers, use your brains. Expand
  10. Jan 1, 2014
    As someone who was unimpressed with GOW 3, but was blown away by all the other GOW games, I was a little worried that this game would disappoint me in the same way the third GOW did. Thankfully "Ascension" lives up to the high standards I hold this series to. Everything about it makes for another high-quality action game that puts most of it's competition to shame.

Ascension is another

Ascension is another title that really shows off what the PS3 can do graphically. Everything looks super realistic and has a high attention to detail. These improved graphics make the gorier kills in this game even more delightfully disgusting and graphic, and there are some truly spectacular sights to behold in this game. The soundtrack is, as always, fantastic. I do feel that the story could have used a little more work, because it can get a little disorientating to jump back and forth through time. It all comes together in the end, but this is one of my least favorite GOW plots.

As far as gameplay goes everything is in tip-top shape. The amazing spectacle, brutal kills, and tight combat system make this an experience that you'll find hard to put down. Whether you're tackling an outrageously huge boss or just average enemy fodder, it's hard not to have a blast while doing so. This is the tightest the combat system has ever been. In a first for the series there's even multiplayer this time around. It's really fun and incredibly satisfying to kill an opponent, but I don't feel like it has the most staying power, at least not for me. Still, it's a nice addition and the only real complaint I have with it is related to the fact that if you buy it used or rent it you have to shell out $10 for the online pass. Seriously guys even EA learned that this isn't cool, why can't you?

Ascension manages to provide a new GOW experience while simultaneously managing to keep up to the series high expectations. In both the single player and multiplayer experiences there is an unbelievable, yet expected, high level of quality. It's not the best GOW but it is still a fantastic experience that any fan of the series should play.
  11. Mar 20, 2013
    I think GOW Ascension is a great game. The reason people rate it low is because they compare it to its predecessors. But when you look at Ascension without comparing it to any other game you will find that it is an amazing game done on a console that developers have squeezed every ounce of power to get it running. The graphics is the best, multiplayer is fun and game play is also amazing.I think GOW Ascension is a great game. The reason people rate it low is because they compare it to its predecessors. But when you look at Ascension without comparing it to any other game you will find that it is an amazing game done on a console that developers have squeezed every ounce of power to get it running. The graphics is the best, multiplayer is fun and game play is also amazing. Overall Ascension is a great game that no one will regret playing. Expand
  12. Mar 15, 2013
    Got game on launch day, and I am loving it. The combat is fluid and much more refined than in the previous entries, the elemental magic implementation in the blade attacks, as well as the rage meter and the secondary weapons really freshen up what I felt was a tiresome and repetitive combat system. Platforming is also vastly improved, there is a level in the game at the top of a mountainGot game on launch day, and I am loving it. The combat is fluid and much more refined than in the previous entries, the elemental magic implementation in the blade attacks, as well as the rage meter and the secondary weapons really freshen up what I felt was a tiresome and repetitive combat system. Platforming is also vastly improved, there is a level in the game at the top of a mountain with some of the best platforming sections I have played in a long time. Puzzles are also abundant and imho represent the highlight of the series in this aspect. Boss battles are limited but epic nonetheless. Level design is top notch, the top of the mountain one, is arguably the best I have seen in a GOW game. GOWA is a COMPLETELY different game than GOW3, it is hands down the entry with the most variety, while remaining true to the series roots. The problem with many of the reviews I read is that they read too much like a GOWA- GOW3 comparison, rather than a review of the game itself. Expand
  13. Mar 17, 2013
    Game's great, you guys giving it a 0 are stupid. It has the scale of 2, graphics of 3, and epic battles. I'm gonna give it a 10 just to balance this score back out.
  14. Aug 11, 2013
    Finished God of War: Ascension in Hard difficulty. Not only it is the worst God of War game by far, but also the buggiest game I played from Sony. First of all the not all the patches don't install, preventing me from playing the multiplayer mode. Then the game threw a horrific design choice towards the end which I thought I won't be able to finish, but luckily I did. Then the gameFinished God of War: Ascension in Hard difficulty. Not only it is the worst God of War game by far, but also the buggiest game I played from Sony. First of all the not all the patches don't install, preventing me from playing the multiplayer mode. Then the game threw a horrific design choice towards the end which I thought I won't be able to finish, but luckily I did. Then the game broke...I was so angry. I tried resetting checkpoint but didn't work. Deleted the patch, then it worked... :

Final boss battle was terribly easy as well. The game tried to make me feel bad for Kratos, it only managed to piss me off to the point I don't wanna play another GOW game ever again. Santa Monica, God of War 3 was the pinnacle of the series, it is time to move on.
  15. Mar 12, 2013
    For starters. The game seems just unfinished. The audio is quite flat for 5.1 surround. I honestly had to keep checking my sound system display to make sure it was outputting to all the channels. The graphics are, of course, over-the-top for vistas and cutscenes, but for the platforming and combat there is something just off about everything. Kratos moves in such a wooden manner thatFor starters. The game seems just unfinished. The audio is quite flat for 5.1 surround. I honestly had to keep checking my sound system display to make sure it was outputting to all the channels. The graphics are, of course, over-the-top for vistas and cutscenes, but for the platforming and combat there is something just off about everything. Kratos moves in such a wooden manner that [evade] is pointless. Likewise, [double jump] is completely broken. Don't expect much reliability, accuracy or timing with that one in a boss battle. Don't expect precision from either if you are being swarmed.

And that leads me to my main issue with the game: the difficulty settings are astronomically skewed. If you initially select Hard, be prepared to do a lot of the same stuff repeatedly until you just happen to luck your way past a fight. Why? Because of the above issues meet an egregiously reprehensible respawn implementation in the game. Apparently, the developers are so in love with their sweeping set pieces that they want us to experience them over and over and over and over ad nauseam et infinitum. Their idea of scaled difficulty is to overwhelm Kratos in a small area with defective defenses against a multitude of leveled-up enemies who cannot be avoided vertically And laterally. Death is quick and often. Restart is also brilliantly without full health and often before a long intro (to an even minor battle) that is not skippable! And some of these "cutscenes" you have to actively trudge through for no reason just to get back to the point of inevitable reset.

I am all for a challenging experience but it has to be well-designed. And it cannot impede progress in the narrative. Easy Level typically means an all-offense approach will get you through. Normal Level requires some avoidance and some defensive tactics. Hard more defense, combos, wise upgrades. Insane hard plus precise timing, stealth, wait-and-see strategy. And all of those are fine if the gameplay mechanics of the release function and do so with balance to the enemy AI. Seriously, Santa Monica should have spent the wasted time of a multiplayer into polishing the interactive campaign portions which actually feel like a bad stiff multiplayer. One of the worst sins of game-making is undue repetitious gameplay in story mode; in multiplayer it is expected. But in this campaign, it causes a player to walk away from the console.

Plus, even if it were working, it is just the same old familiar GOW you've done five games before. And in this latest one, you'll be repeating enough as it is.
  16. Mar 12, 2013
    This game is everything I have expected for it to be; Brutal and Spectacular! This is the most refined GOW game yet (YES EVEN BETTER THAN GOW3), with great combat additions, great variaty on the scenery, nice puzzles and great pacing. I know that it is not as Epic as GOW3, but that is because of it being a prequel, so Kratos cant fight a Titan or other things like that, but still it isThis game is everything I have expected for it to be; Brutal and Spectacular! This is the most refined GOW game yet (YES EVEN BETTER THAN GOW3), with great combat additions, great variaty on the scenery, nice puzzles and great pacing. I know that it is not as Epic as GOW3, but that is because of it being a prequel, so Kratos cant fight a Titan or other things like that, but still it is freaking epic and ultra fun to play. The weapons system in Ascension is better than in GOW3, because of instead getting different kinds of the same blades (that are not as useful as the original), you alter the original blades with elemental power and thus enabling you to some really crazy stuff, and also you have the ability of using weapons dropped in the stage an complement your combos with lots of great stuff, or if you dont feel like picking them up, there is a new melee system that is also really sweet. You can also use some gadgets in combat and stop time. really really sweet!!

17. Mar 16, 2013
    As an avid God of War fan I per-ordered this months ago. This was a day one purchase for me and I am very happy that I picked it up. This game is about the same length as all of the other God of War games(about 5-10 hours, can be longer if you are on Titan) and has a very solid combat system. There are some new improvements in the game play and it makes everything more streamlined andAs an avid God of War fan I per-ordered this months ago. This was a day one purchase for me and I am very happy that I picked it up. This game is about the same length as all of the other God of War games(about 5-10 hours, can be longer if you are on Titan) and has a very solid combat system. There are some new improvements in the game play and it makes everything more streamlined and feels more intuitive. The story is not as good as God of War III, but it is an amazing story nonetheless. The difficulty does ramp up from time to time and it does get very difficult at times, but that is what God of War is built upon. The multi player is a fun addition that is very well done. It is something that is very unique and has a lot of opportunity for continued play in the future, there is no doubt that I will continue to play the multi player over the upcoming months. Overall I give this game a 9/10 it would get a 10, however with it following up on God of War III, it would be pretty difficult to get a 10 when compared to that. Expand
  18. Mar 23, 2013
    Although this may seem abstract, God of War Ascension seems more like a 3rd part expansion pack than a full retail game. There are countless character re-skins of recycled enemies, situations and events leaving you with a sense of deja vu. The new throw mechanic would be a fresh installment if it wasnt so under-defined and so long as you are throwing an enemy you are invincible. TheAlthough this may seem abstract, God of War Ascension seems more like a 3rd part expansion pack than a full retail game. There are countless character re-skins of recycled enemies, situations and events leaving you with a sense of deja vu. The new throw mechanic would be a fresh installment if it wasnt so under-defined and so long as you are throwing an enemy you are invincible. The gameplay itself is there! its just lacking compared to previous installments. To clarify in my honest opinion, God of War 1-3 are Half Life and God of War Ascension is Blue Shift. Expand
  19. Mar 20, 2013
    I have to be honest. I was disappointed with this game. I am a huge GoW fan I have played them all (even the obscure PSP ones and both the original and HD revamps of the PS2 classics), so I can honestly say that I know what I am talking about. Does this mean Ascension is bad? No, absolutely no. It is a good game, but nothing more than that. It misses the sparkle, the wow-factor that is aI have to be honest. I was disappointed with this game. I am a huge GoW fan I have played them all (even the obscure PSP ones and both the original and HD revamps of the PS2 classics), so I can honestly say that I know what I am talking about. Does this mean Ascension is bad? No, absolutely no. It is a good game, but nothing more than that. It misses the sparkle, the wow-factor that is a trademark of this franchise. The graphics are amazing, as usual, the sound effects, the gameplay, the agressive hero we all love, all the elements are there, like following a formula. But the game, as a whole, is very mundane, very uninspired. First of all it's very, VERY short (it took me only 6 hours to beat it) and has the weakest plot in the series, to a way that, for the first time, I didn't bother to worry I just wanted to get through with it. The enemies are repetitive and even the scenarios look similar. I don't want to use this word but, I am sorry, there it is: Ascension is [kind of] boring. It looks like a B-project, as if the main team was focusing on something else (GoW 4 for the PS4 anyone?) and left this one a side thing for a smaller developer most certainly using materials that were not originally used in GoW 3. And I am not going to talk about the Multiplayer because, honestly, I couldn't care less. I am not a MP player and GoW does not need to have this option. This is a good game and deserves to be played especially by its fans just don't get your hopes high, though. Expand
  20. Jun 16, 2013
    Lost count of how many times I've seen this. A developer makes an amazing game that many people buy and reviewers all agree is great. Then after a few iterations the devs decide that the game needs a multiplayer mode or the core gameplay needs a shakeup. I realise some people like this game but for me it's unplayable. I love God of War 1, 2, 3, Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta. Ascension is
  21. Mar 12, 2013
    Sem duvidas um dos melhores jogos dessa geração,multiplayer viciante,se você fã ou gosta do genero,compre sem pensar duas vezes.God of War Asecension grandioso como todo GoW já lançado até hoje.
  22. Mar 13, 2013
    Reviews are just opinions from guys that think that they know more about games than you. Because it is their JOB, they lost their passion many times, many of them are tired of games, they play a lot, more than they want. Try this for yourself gamers.

RE6 hated by everyone? All people played the demo before decide to buy and the game sold 4 millions copies on its first week, 5 until now. People dont buy what they hate. This is what really matter, not the Metacritic user score that is a place to haters hate.
  23. Mar 12, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece! The critics bashing of the game isn't justified, their only complaint is that it's too similar to God of War III which is the most acclaimed bestselling game in the genre EVER so how is that a negative?! God of War: Ascension is amazing in every way and the multiplayer is a brilliant addition to the series.
  24. Mar 13, 2013
    Disappointed. I went in with low expectations knowing that as this was a prequel, there was no way it could live up to the precedent set by the trilogy that came before it. And even then i managed to walk away from the story mode disappointed. The problem with the story is that there is none. You go through like 75% of the game before finding out exactly what purpose the furies serve. YouDisappointed. I went in with low expectations knowing that as this was a prequel, there was no way it could live up to the precedent set by the trilogy that came before it. And even then i managed to walk away from the story mode disappointed. The problem with the story is that there is none. You go through like 75% of the game before finding out exactly what purpose the furies serve. You dont even get a good reason for why Kratos wants to kill them. There's no story buildup and because of this, i just couldnt care for the villains. I didn't root for Kratos to topple the furies as i did against Ares in the first game or Zeus in the 3rd one. Not to mention after seeing what happens in 3, the furies just didn't seem like a threat. They felt like a much less intimidating sisters of fate. Outside of the lacking story, some changes were made to the actual gameplay. While some are welcome additions (the item usage) others are not. The new rage bar is annoying. Basically, your more powerful combos and more exciting moves that were always accessible in previous GoW (provided you input the correct buttons) are now only accessible by basically button maching your way to fill up your rage bar. Rage bar isn't full? No combos for you my friend. I hope the rage bar is something they do away with, or at least fix it. In its current state, its broken and turns the game into a button mash fest. The game is absolutely gorgeous. Its amazing how impressive a game can look on 7 year old hardware. And for a game to look this good with non existant load times is even better. Seriously, this is probably the best looking game of this gen. The music is also great. It's your typical god of war goodness. The soundtrack isnt as varied as past games, but its still enjoyable and tends to fit the mood. And lastly, the most important thing... The boss fights. My biggest issue with the game is actually the boss fights. While all fun, they lack that god of war feel. I guess it's not fair to compare it to the boss fights in GoW 3, but seriously, they dont even compare to early GoWs. Not a single boss in the game feels threatening, and thats because there is 0 development with any of these villains. If the game would have actually developed the plot instead of taking us from set piece to set piece some of these fights could have been truly memorable. At least the first fight against the furies is cool. Probably the best fight in the game due to the fact that you are fighting 3 things at once. Multiplayer is fun. It's a lot better than you'd expect from a game that never had multiplayer prior. The combat system works and the god allegiance thing is cool. FFA is the best mode by far though. Even with all the missteps, i still found the game to be fun. It definitely is God of War, but it's not what many of us were hoping for. Hopefully the good people at Santa Monica can give us a truly remarkable experience with the next game. If you liked previous entries in the series, you'll like this game but likely will be a bit disappointed as i was. If you've never played a god of war game before, i'm sure you'll find this game to be above and beyond what you expected. Expand
  25. Mar 31, 2013
    Still a good God of War entry, but I felt that Ascension will never be Game of the Year. The commercial was alright, not that much with no gameplay on it. The reason why I'm almost disappointed at the game is that I'd wished it was God of War IV, but the prequel is sorta like a storytelling reboot of the original God of War where Kratos starts to raise hell and kick the living crap out ofStill a good God of War entry, but I felt that Ascension will never be Game of the Year. The commercial was alright, not that much with no gameplay on it. The reason why I'm almost disappointed at the game is that I'd wished it was God of War IV, but the prequel is sorta like a storytelling reboot of the original God of War where Kratos starts to raise hell and kick the living crap out of Zeus. But the rest of the story just not gonna cut it in Ascension. God of War fans doesn't need multiplayer. If it weren't for the game itself, they should've announced it for the Playstation 4 this holiday season. I like it in single--player campaigns because I've already beaten Chains of Olympus and Ghosts of Sparta. I'm almost beat God of War III with a whole stack of trophies that I've collected (I'm now on the Hard difficulty, as usual). I wonder if the new God of War still has some new sex scenes. I would love to see them in action (hot damn, I love naked lesbians). I'd say Ascension is a bit average, not the best in the series. But it's a good game and I think I'll rent it on Redbox. Expand
  26. Mar 14, 2013
    Was looking forward to this so much,I'm completely disappointed in this,the others were so much better!!I'm a huge God of War fan,but this game just seems rushed,the worst of the series!!
  27. Oct 22, 2014
    GoW: Ascension does little to separate itself from the original GoW trilogy, it is an unnecessary addition to the franchise that doesn't develop the story or game play in any interesting ways. Nevertheless, it looks great and is very fun to play.

The multiplayer is the biggest innovation this time around and while I found the different modes on offer interesting, I simply could not get into the competition. I'm also very disappointed that there was NO local multiplayer of any kind, not even the simple co-op survival mode.
  28. Mar 14, 2013
    God of War: Ascension is not a filler, but a good chapter that every fan of the series to play. Kratos is brought to relive events that do not yet know each other and the team at Santa Monica Studio been able to offer a gameplay fresh and renewed. The visual quality excels at any time without leaving a trace in any snagging. From the technical point of view, the title is definitely theGod of War: Ascension is not a filler, but a good chapter that every fan of the series to play. Kratos is brought to relive events that do not yet know each other and the team at Santa Monica Studio been able to offer a gameplay fresh and renewed. The visual quality excels at any time without leaving a trace in any snagging. From the technical point of view, the title is definitely the killer app for the Playstation 3, so that PS4 can wait. Only a narrative epic and less carefully than the rest of the production and the duration shorter than the main chapters, do not allow them to reach a very high longevity, however worthily filled by a brand new multiplayer mode that captivates from the first minute, varied and well-matched Ultimately, this prequel is a "must buy" for every owner of PS3, even more so if fans of the series. Kratos is back to lay down the law!
  29. Mar 12, 2013
    The game has the best story, best gameplay, best graphics (for any console game) and the most human Kratos in the entire GOW series. That's all I need to say. To match, and then surpass the peaks set by previous GOW games is no small feat, and Sony Santa Monica did it, AGAIN.
  30. Mar 26, 2013
    Frustrating would be the word to best describe GoWA. Kratos should have remained in infamy by walking off into the black at the end of GoW3. Some things need to die just for the sake of dying. Others have said it much better (and far kinder) than I could even try. The only thing I will retain as I walk away from this game is carpal tunnel syndrome from the stupid and relentlessFrustrating would be the word to best describe GoWA. Kratos should have remained in infamy by walking off into the black at the end of GoW3. Some things need to die just for the sake of dying. Others have said it much better (and far kinder) than I could even try. The only thing I will retain as I walk away from this game is carpal tunnel syndrome from the stupid and relentless button mashing required to kill something.

I don't envision finishing the game.
  31. Mar 21, 2013
    The game innovated in all aspects, has great graphics, great soundtrack, a fantastic story, which makes you hold every second, has an amazing replay factor, a multiplayer to be played for about 5 years straight, a game that deserves the crown of best game of all time!
  32. Mar 14, 2013
    While Ascension is fun, it is nowhere near to Gow3. A weaker story and less satisfying combat. On hard mode, enemies are too much making it sometimes a chore to clear out all the spawns.
  33. Apr 7, 2013
    When judged as a game on it's own, i'd give this game a 9, but since this comes after more than 3 other GOW games it really falls short.

The graphics and environments are magnificent as always, perhaps better than any other GOW game, and fortunately there is little backtracking. The Story line jumps around quite a bit, with little explanation for the first few hours. Once it is

The Story line jumps around quite a bit, with little explanation for the first few hours. Once it is explained it all falls into place and gives the game more meaning and enjoyment.

If you are a GOW veteran, you will immediately notice that this game feels different. Firstly I noticed how quiet the game is, with hardly any background music in combat except for boss battles. Combat is very 'samey' as opposed to other GOW games, as your only weapons are the blades of chaos which do get elemental upgrades, but these hardly change combat. The rage system is fatally flawed, with you slowly gaining rage during combat, but if you get hit once or twice it resets almost to zero which makes fights painfully long, as does the fact that most enemies seem to have an extremely massive amount of health.

The upgrades are not at all exciting, with each element adding almost the same combos to your blades, just with a different color. The elements don't do much at all, except when your rage bar is full, or when you use magic, in which the spell is determined by the element currently equipped.

There are quite a few extremely annoying sections wherein Kratos is in the back of the scene, so small you can hardly see but still in battle, and quick-time sections that are extremely unforgiving which takes much trial and error to see the tiny quick-time indicators that flicker away in less than a second. For example all of the sliding sections could be removed completely as these were extremely frustrating.

Most of the puzzles are well executed, with only a few moments of confusion which actually made the puzzles more enjoyable. There was only one puzzle that made little sense and after half an hour of trial and error I resulted in looking up an online guide.

Enemy variety was a bit lacking, with enemy types seeming to be random in most locations. Most other GOW games, the enemies fit the area, but here in many places it seemed like any enemy would be randomly thrown into battle. Many battles were painfully long, with wave after wave of enemies joining the fight before the previous wave had been defeated.

After finishing the single player, and playing the multi-player tutorial, it became clear why the combat in single player is so limited (and boring). Multi-player includes various weapons that are sadly lacking from single player, which add much needed variety and complexity to combat.

If the multiplayer weapons were added to the single-player campaign, more music was added throughout, and less godlike enemies with more more enemy variety, this game would be 10/10.
  34. Apr 30, 2013
    The God of War series has always had epic gameplay and stunning graphics. Plus if you like the testosterone driven badass type of hero... well, Kratos is the king Kobra Kai.

While the story is not as strong as in the other console GOW games, the combat has really added a bunch of new dimensions. I really had a blast with all the new moves and strategies... and without a doubt I became a more badass GOW player then ever before. I'm lassoing enemies, freezing them, throwing them, and then ripping their heads off. It just feels so satisfying when you get Kratos in the zone, he's just so epic and the graphics look stunning at full-fight intensity.

Oh and every single boss battle is unique and gnarly fun.
  35. Mar 14, 2013
    Avaliar um jogo como God of War Ascension complicado, pois sempre vai haver comparações com God of War 3 e eu acho um pouco injusto as notas que o jogo está recebendo de alguns sites, pois eu acho que ele deveria ser avaliado como um jogo separado e não por comparação. O jogo espetacular, intenso e extremamente violento. Se você está na dúvida se compra esse jogo ou não, vai por mim, GodAvaliar um jogo como God of War Ascension complicado, pois sempre vai haver comparações com God of War 3 e eu acho um pouco injusto as notas que o jogo está recebendo de alguns sites, pois eu acho que ele deveria ser avaliado como um jogo separado e não por comparação. O jogo espetacular, intenso e extremamente violento. Se você está na dúvida se compra esse jogo ou não, vai por mim, God of War Ascension pode não ser o melhor da série, mais tirando seus antecessores, de longe o melhor hack'n slash da geração. Abraço e fiquem com Deus! Expand
  36. May 26, 2013
    GOW Ascension is a return too form for the god of war series feeling and playing great. ascension feels like a step in the right direction to continue to take the series forward. While the previous game Gow 3 was good overall it felt like a movie in places a mistake a lot of games have made this generation. But while Ascension still has QTEs in boss battles these are so well done it justGOW Ascension is a return too form for the god of war series feeling and playing great. ascension feels like a step in the right direction to continue to take the series forward. While the previous game Gow 3 was good overall it felt like a movie in places a mistake a lot of games have made this generation. But while Ascension still has QTEs in boss battles these are so well done it just feels a smooth part of the combat mechanics. The combat overall is solid although i preferred the old variation of blades spears and golden rams fists. these have been replaced by elemental blades each adding its own moves and specials some work best on different enemies. The story is good and not weak like some reviewers said. its one hell of a ride and can be very challenging even on normal which is what fans of the series expect a true challenge collectables for use in game+ and ultra hard Titan mode can be found within the levels. All this before the truely very good multi-player which sony santa monica seemed to have nailed even from beta its always fun constantly being rebalanced and issues are quickly fixed. update ver 1.07 is now live that takes the level cap from 30 to 40 adds two new maps some ultimate power finishers and a few new dlc weapons. There is one on one battles team battles capture the flag and a collect favor mode which is my overall favorite. Congrats Sony Santa Monica on a great addition to the series a labor of love for the team who work hard in maintaining a quality multiplayer. 8.5 for those yet to try god of war Ascension is a great starting point. Expand
  37. Mar 17, 2013
    If this is your first God of War game, don't buy it. The story assumes that you know about Kratos' back story so newcomers to the series may find it hard to understand the story. The story in itself is simple but awesome: you've broken the oath with Ares and the Furies are now coming for you. You get to see the human side of Kratos which is something new and interesting. He still hasn'tIf this is your first God of War game, don't buy it. The story assumes that you know about Kratos' back story so newcomers to the series may find it hard to understand the story. The story in itself is simple but awesome: you've broken the oath with Ares and the Furies are now coming for you. You get to see the human side of Kratos which is something new and interesting. He still hasn't quite recovered from the loss of his family and you can see and feel it. I don't know about you but I like it.
    The combat is the same old thing that we all know and love but with a few tweaks. A major change is that your only weapons are the Blades of Chaos. In the previous titles, you could just play through the game only upgrading and using the Blades and just forgetting the other weapons. The devs have noticed this and removed all the other weapons. In their place you get elemental powers. Your Blades will either do Fire, Ice, Lightning or Soul damage. Fire does extra damage, Ice freezes enemies, Lightning attacks are quick and Soul attacks summon souls. Each element also yields different kinds of orbs. It is a clever way of keeping the familiar attacks and combos of the Blades and still adding new unique melee and magic attacks. Also, they've changed the way the Rage meter works. If you chain attacks without getting your streak stopped by an enemy, you will activate Rage mode where you do more damage and access new abilities and combos. It's not much but it's enough to make the combat feel that much different and unique.
    The one thing I dislike is that the levels feel stretched and the fact that you make little progress in the plot over the course of the game. Towards the end of the game it doesn't feel as stretched but in the beginning I was starting to get bored because there was almost no story at all. The campaign mode basically only has three or four different environments and that's it. The single player campaign is shorter than in the previous games but every minute of it is still worth it.
    There's a lot of puzzles and platforming in Ascension. You will find yourself climbing and jumping almost as much as you're killing enemies. I found myself actually thinking about the puzzles which is something new and good. The platforming may seem a bit awkward at times but when you finally come down to it, it's good.
    Another bad thing is that there aren't many boss fights. Basically there's just the opening boss, final boss, two other small boss fight and then the mini-bosses. Story-wise it's understandable that Kratos can't just go around and kill gods and huge monsters yet. Instead, you fight hordes of regular foes. It may not sound very exciting but it's not that bad really.
    Finally I'll talk about the multiplayer. It was unneccessary. God of War in its essence is a single player game. You didn't need multiplayer. The developers have clearly said that this is the main reason they made Ascension and it's 100% unneccessary. It's the reason why the single player mode is so short and not as amazing as in previous titles. Now that I've said that, I'll say that the multiplayer is good. Not amazing, not horrible, not mediocre; good. There's not much to tell about it, it's basically GoW with other players against each other in different game modes. Simple as that.
    I'm not going to say much about the graphics and the sounds because they don't matter as much as gameplay. They're both amazing, especially the visuals. They're a huge leap from God of War III.
  38. Aug 14, 2013
    After playing all the other God Of Wars (except the portable versions) this game was horrible.
    It felt like a cash in of Call Of Duty where nothing changes. Granted not a lot of the God Of Wars change much but the story was so boring. Countless times playingthe game i started dozzing off in my chair and had to turn off the game. The eemies took 30sec to 1 min. each to kill on normal difficulty and there was nothing engaging about the story or character to continue through like the other games. I got 5 hours in and took the game back to gamestop. I felt so horrible doing this but i felt like i was forcing myself to complete this game instead of enjoying the experience. This is the worst God Of War in my opinion.
    Nice graphics boring gamplay horrid story
  39. Apr 21, 2013
    It's a fun game but the storyline is so weak. I wish they had done a different ending to GOW 3 if they really felt like making another game. That way we wouldn't get numerous prequels that keep having less and less story in them. Its still worth playing, but is story-wise, is not even close to the level of Gow 2 and 3 (or even the first one).
  40. Mar 19, 2013
    The plot was not as compelling as previous titles, despite the fact that an obvious attempt to humanize Kratos was clearly made. The graphics are excellent. The standard gruesome, visceral gameplay returns as the driving force behind this story's campaign. However, with an emphasis on abilities trumping that of new or secondary weapons, the game very easily devolves into button-mashingThe plot was not as compelling as previous titles, despite the fact that an obvious attempt to humanize Kratos was clearly made. The graphics are excellent. The standard gruesome, visceral gameplay returns as the driving force behind this story's campaign. However, with an emphasis on abilities trumping that of new or secondary weapons, the game very easily devolves into button-mashing through the campaign with only one weapon, creating a very uniform and lackluster experience. The sheer epic scale of previous God of War titles has been scaled back, and the in-game camera can be unreliable and often times oddly placed, leaving the player helpless and at the mercy of this poor gaming design. The Trial of Archimedes, before the patch, that launched with the game was clearly frustrating and was completely out of tune with the rest of the game's difficulty, format, and style. It broke the flow of the story, and only served as an impediment to reaching the game's conclusion rather than as a challenge to overcome. The multiplayer is a nice addition, but nothing that really stands out. It definitely won't keep large crowds playing the game in the long run. Overall, God of War Ascension was a decent game with a few flaws and a multiplayer addition that doesn't offer anything new to the table because it's a button-mashing and repetitive experience with little to no strategy involved. Expand
  41. Mar 20, 2013
    não vejo graça nesse game, ele tá morto e a sony não vê!
    caralho, vamos lá, queremos novos ips, sony fala tanto de jogos exclusivos
    Esse kratos já está morto!
  42. Mar 16, 2013
    Look, the game isn't perfect but it exceeded my expectations. I thought it was going to be average since it seemd they were focusing on MP this time, but boy was I wrong, this game's singleplayer is amazing, not perfect like my score indicated but I only gave it a 10 because so many butthurt trolls are giving it 0s.
  43. Mar 26, 2013
    Wow! finally another God of War game which is my favorite video game saga ever! This game is great, especially if you like any of the God of War games. The graphics are beautiful, the sound is ok but cuts out at times in some places. The story is pretty good but not the best in the series and not as many boss battles as i would have liked. The bosses you do encounter are pretty sweet andWow! finally another God of War game which is my favorite video game saga ever! This game is great, especially if you like any of the God of War games. The graphics are beautiful, the sound is ok but cuts out at times in some places. The story is pretty good but not the best in the series and not as many boss battles as i would have liked. The bosses you do encounter are pretty sweet and the brutality is there and better than ever! Multiplayer is pretty fun and i like it alot better than i thought. The reason this game is not a solid 10 from me is because of a few glitches that are annoying throughout the game, hopefully a simple patch will fix them. Great game!! Highly recommend! Expand
  44. Mar 14, 2013
    This is God of war 3.5 It`s obvious they never should have made a multiplayer because i noticed through the whole game how many shortcuts and copy paste job they did in this game.
    The story is really not that interesting and the weapons you get are just the blades of chaos with different elements to them. Combat is frustrating when there is to much happening on the screen.
    But its not a
    But its not a bad game really even with all the faults it has, you will still enjoy playing it and it is a must for any god of war fan. It`s just shame they made multiplayer for this as it would be fine without and its obvious the singe player was affected by it.
    I haven't tried multiplayer yet and im not sure if im even going to bother playing it.
    Great game but as a God of war game it`s disappointing..
  45. Mar 18, 2013
    another rush-for-money game.
    sony is going to be another "EA".
    i like sony at past but at this generations they are "all copy-followers".
    "gow 1-2" were great in "story and gamplay",they showed us the strength of "ps2".
    "gow3" was good and cool,but this,,,,this "illegal son of "gow"" is aweful and poor.
    i am sorry for money i paid for this.
  46. Mar 13, 2013
    The enviorments are awesome; the challenges can be tough but not frustrating; the story is a bit weak since it is a prequel made to justify what has yet to come in the GOW franchise: but it is worth your time and your money since the game is great fun. You can tell that the PS3 console has been pushed to the its limits to deliver the graphics/gameplay.. If nothing else, you shuold playThe enviorments are awesome; the challenges can be tough but not frustrating; the story is a bit weak since it is a prequel made to justify what has yet to come in the GOW franchise: but it is worth your time and your money since the game is great fun. You can tell that the PS3 console has been pushed to the its limits to deliver the graphics/gameplay.. If nothing else, you shuold play this game as a final full gaming experience that is the advent to the PS4. I only played the single player experience. Wonderful!! Expand
  47. Mar 21, 2013
    God of War: Ascension is redefines and improves upon krato's already Blockbuster series.. The combat alone in this game will leave you coming back to grab the controller and feel, like a warrior and spartan several times over. The Multiplayer seems polish with no latency at least non that i have noticed. Sony Santa Monica studios has done it again hats off to the combat designer and theGod of War: Ascension is redefines and improves upon krato's already Blockbuster series.. The combat alone in this game will leave you coming back to grab the controller and feel, like a warrior and spartan several times over. The Multiplayer seems polish with no latency at least non that i have noticed. Sony Santa Monica studios has done it again hats off to the combat designer and the whole God of War team. Thanks Sony. Expand
  48. May 26, 2013
    can't change the difficulty, this really sucks to much to continue the game when you are stuck somewhere. now im no more interrested to complete the game.
  49. May 4, 2013
    Interesting game. I'll say for people that has played gow before this is an 8, but is easily a 9 for GOW virgins. I liked how just when you thought you've seen everything a video game has to offer, there are parts of this game that makes you go "wow". Obviously this game isnt as epic as the last gow, but it's still enjoyable. The downside is that near the end of the game you realize theInteresting game. I'll say for people that has played gow before this is an 8, but is easily a 9 for GOW virgins. I liked how just when you thought you've seen everything a video game has to offer, there are parts of this game that makes you go "wow". Obviously this game isnt as epic as the last gow, but it's still enjoyable. The downside is that near the end of the game you realize the enemies get repititive and is more annoying than a challenge to fight. But overall I think this is a good game and an 85 to be more specific. GOW fans might want to wait for the price to drop if considering this game, I will say. Expand
  50. Mar 19, 2013
    Loved it!.
    Best looking game to date.
    Yes it's not going to have all the weapons and epic moments like god of war 3 but its a prequel. People need to understand this. God of war ascension is as brutal as ever and by god it does it well. Multiplayer is also brilliant!. Many reviews say how weak it is but actual people playing it tell a different story. Maybe these reviewers are just
    Loved it!.
    Best looking game to date.
    God of war ascension is as brutal as ever and by god it does it well.

Multiplayer is also brilliant!.
    Many reviews say how weak it is but actual people playing it tell a different story. Maybe these reviewers are just crap at this game?.
    I and from my research on the feedback on gowa multiplayer has all been extremely positive. Fun and addictive is the most used words when it comes to multiplayer, I totally agree. this game gets a full 10 from me.
  51. Mar 13, 2013
    I love GOW. I bought my PS3 way back when just because I knew GOW 3 would be coming out on that platform even though it was released 4 years later. Every GOW game that i have played felt like a GOW game. It felt bad ass. The amazing set pieces, beautiful scenery's and I loved i when boss emerged, it was epic!! Playing GOW Ascension though brought back none of these feelings. At parts theI love GOW. I bought my PS3 way back when just because I knew GOW 3 would be coming out on that platform even though it was released 4 years later. Every GOW game that i have played felt like a GOW game. It felt bad ass. The amazing set pieces, beautiful scenery's and I loved i when boss emerged, it was epic!! Playing GOW Ascension though brought back none of these feelings. At parts the game felt as though i was playing Heavenly sword. It's something to do with the set pieces, the way the camera shifts while facing a boss. It just doesn't feel like a GOW game. As for the combat mechanics all I have to say is why fix something that wasn't broken. If anything the combat system of GOW defines the game. Changing it changes the whole feel of the game and as this is basically the sixth instalment of the game, if you count the PSP versions, the change in the way you have to play this game does not come naturally. Come on if you've been playing a game a certain way for so many years how should you feel when somebody comes along and decides to change it. Personally I am not Happy. I Like change but any change that is implemented on an already well established franchise should feel natural when executed. The culprit to blame? Multiplayer! Sure all of the combat changes made do make the multiplayer work but this is GOW, I DON'T CARE ABOUT MULTIPLAYER!!. Honestly GOW multiplayer is not good enough to last the initial curiosity. I hate that feeling I get that after playing a game...that I have wasted my money. Expand
  52. Mar 30, 2013
    A completely unnecessary difficulty spike in the last stage of the game makes this game total sh!t. It was mediocre before, and got unplayable by the final level. Boring combat, uninteresting story, overall not a good game like previous GOW titles.
  53. Jun 2, 2013
    Ascension, predictably, doesn't keep up with the grandeur of GOW 3. The story is bland and largely unnecessary for the series. As for the gameplay, the combat is nicely tuned, but the mix of the enemies you fight is often more irritating than challenging. Singleplayer campaign lacks the drive of its predecessor the bigger part of the game consists of beautifully made, but largelyAscension, predictably, doesn't keep up with the grandeur of GOW 3. The story is bland and largely unnecessary for the series. As for the gameplay, the combat is nicely tuned, but the mix of the enemies you fight is often more irritating than challenging. Singleplayer campaign lacks the drive of its predecessor the bigger part of the game consists of beautifully made, but largely unremarkable locations requiring you to solve some kind of a puzzle. Multiplayer is a new addition to the series, and it fits surprisingly well, offering a unique brawler experience that will probably take up some of your evenings. To sum up, the singleplayer campaign itself is the same old formula we've seen 5 times already. It alone is hardly worth a 7, but the neat multiplayer mode gets it up to 8 in my opinion. If Sony aims to continue the franchise on PS4, it's going to need a reboot a different mythology, maybe? Expand
  54. Mar 26, 2013
    This was a rather enjoyable addition to the series. The battle is a little bit more evolved, the graphics are a little bit better, the QTE finishes are a little bit more involved, and there are plenty of new characters and elements to go along with what is generally the same story.

The game has the feel of some of the earlier games in the series in some senses, but with the look and gameplay of the most recent games (really this and GoW3). The pacing was a bit slower than God of War 3, but it was still a fun pace full of good and creative environments.

As a whole I had a fun time playing this. It's not the best in the series, but it's still a good game.
  55. Aug 21, 2013
    This version is a disappointment GOW 3 was good and the old versions but this was kind of ok release. It is ok to play just one time not good for play again and again. online feature is good by the way.
  56. Mar 18, 2013
    Eh, an alright entry into the series. The single player is actually pretty fun, but then again, you cant go wrong with god of war atleast on the single player front. It's more of the same gameplay, so if you were looking for something different, dont bother with this game. The only problem lies with the multiplayer. The problem is that the multiplayer isnt fun after a few hours of playingEh, an alright entry into the series. The single player is actually pretty fun, but then again, you cant go wrong with god of war atleast on the single player front. It's more of the same gameplay, so if you were looking for something different, dont bother with this game. The only problem lies with the multiplayer. The problem is that the multiplayer isnt fun after a few hours of playing it, all it is is mashing buttons against other people, and whoever mashes buttons the fastest wins. True, you do have to use SOME strategy, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to play this game, that's not to say the multiplayer is bad, what does say it's bad is that it's BORING. Expand
  57. Mar 20, 2013
    God of War: Ascension takes a well established formula and continues it to the highest pedigree of its predecessors. There is no doubt the game feels familiar and if you were never a GOW fan this game will not when you over, however if you do enjoy the GOW series this game is MUST OWN. The graphics and production values are once again best in class and some of the best boss fights inGod of War: Ascension takes a well established formula and continues it to the highest pedigree of its predecessors. There is no doubt the game feels familiar and if you were never a GOW fan this game will not when you over, however if you do enjoy the GOW series this game is MUST OWN. The graphics and production values are once again best in class and some of the best boss fights in the business are back yet again. It also features a new online multiplayer mode that feels very familiar with a classic Dreamcast game known as" Power Stone". The MP mode can get a little chaotic at times but once you pick it up there is much fun to be had and it is a unique multiplayer experience that has not been seen in a while. So for fans of GOW or great action adventure games in general, I recommend this game. Expand
  58. Jul 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a first time GoW player. This game is fun and has an ok story. This game did a really good job at scaling the really big bosses and environments really good. It gave me slight vertigo during the scenes with huge objects. Now I would have given this game an 8 or 9 but did not realize the severity of the Trials of Achilles. I could not finish the game due to point mis management. Be warned don't max magic out. Max your main sword, artifacts, magic and health or you will not pass the trials. Expand
  59. Mar 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well for me the game is just super amazing. I totally don't understand people saying that this game isn't as epic as GoW3. Damn, Ascension just cannot be as epic as 3rd part of kratos journey because it's a prologue. Personally I think the game is just crazy good. It got everything in it. The story is good and matches to one smooth piece. There is less action in some moments and more platform jumping,climbing etc etc which I think is actually really good becouse I always like the enviromental aspects of the game. All the swings,jumps,climbs are even more fun that before. Puzzles,well they never been hard in any part of GoW and its no different now. I hate people that says there are no reall EPIC boss fights in Ascension. Sure we aint got bosses on such a enourmusly huge scale like it was in other GoW parts bit personally I think that bosses we face in Ascension are ripping your ass right under your neck. Serously. Fighting with Infected 100-hand man or the sisters themselfs and the final battle with the Queen,all that gives absolutley huge fun and satisfaction. About combat, some moroons said that combat is bad,complicated etc etc that parrying doesnt make any sense yada yada. People who says so just can't play the game and are just weak in it. Me as old veteran of the series had no problems to get use to twixed combat system. You can change the blade of chaos with 4 diffrent attunements right when you are doing combos. Some1 said that you cant make any combos as you are bounded to the Rage meter. That a piece of crap. you just can't play like a puss and smach all buttons and launch heaviest combo.You must mix attacks with succesfull parries ,dodges and R1 grabs and then you press R3+L3 and in meantime you change attunement and lounch special magic attack. However for people that are just bad at GoW games they will moan about screwd combat system which for me is just freshed,intuicional and feel like good old Kratos in action with few upgrades and possibilities to make the combat more spectacular. I finished the game on titan mode which was a nice and hard challange in some moments. After that I was complitely sucked in by multiplayer where I unleash my bloodthirst upon reall players All in all its a MUST HAVE for all GoW fans and those that are starting their adventure with Kratos will get the chance to know how it all started,know Kratos more from the human side etc etc Just brilliant game Expand
  60. Mar 13, 2013
    God of war: ascension in one word: Boring! The combat is slow and unresponsive and 4 hours into the game i still had no idea what was going on or what i was supposed to accomplish. The story is weak and poorly paced, by far the worst god of war game imo. I have not tried the multiplayer so that might make me want to play the game again... But i will probably never bother to complete theGod of war: ascension in one word: Boring! The combat is slow and unresponsive and 4 hours into the game i still had no idea what was going on or what i was supposed to accomplish. The story is weak and poorly paced, by far the worst god of war game imo. I have not tried the multiplayer so that might make me want to play the game again... But i will probably never bother to complete the single player part of the game, just not worth it. Expand
  61. Mar 12, 2013
    Krato's is back in full form, some say not as angry but he has thirst for blood is still unquenchable. Santa Monica has delivered another eye pleasing, adrenaline pumping adventure with the character many have come to know as the misunderstood God of War. Join Kratos as we go back in time to when it all began.

This is another masterpiece and a must have
  62. Mar 28, 2013
    The new block parry move is totally and that is all I can really say about this game. the PSP games were better than this. Its just so fricking boring.
  63. Mar 27, 2013
    Brutal. I loved every single minute of it. The graphics were a vast improvement from the last installment; God of War 3. Not only the graphics but the sheer brutality that God of War fans are so use to. Some people FAIL to realize that this wasn't a continuation of God of War 3, or any of the God of War games for that matter. This was a prequel. And like all prequels, it takes some gettingBrutal. I loved every single minute of it. The graphics were a vast improvement from the last installment; God of War 3. Not only the graphics but the sheer brutality that God of War fans are so use to. Some people FAIL to realize that this wasn't a continuation of God of War 3, or any of the God of War games for that matter. This was a prequel. And like all prequels, it takes some getting use to. The only problems I had with the game is that at some parts the game just felt a little too slow. The other problem I had was the story consistently going back and forth between "Present Day" and 3 or 2 weeks earlier and a majority of the game just felt like filler and once you returned to "Present Day" you realized the game basically took place in 1 day the back and forth was too much to keep up with it felt like. But, other than the minor problems, this game is my early favorite for Game of the Year 2013. I highly recommend it for God of War fans on the fence. Expand
  64. Mar 12, 2013
    God Of War: Ascension is for the most part the good old GOW we've come to know and love which in this case is the most disappointing part. It's GOW 3 with that extra bit of gloss and minor game mechanic tweaks. The single player campaign is short but sweet, however with lesser boss fights. The most redeeming part of the whole package is the multiplayer, fast paced and fun. Overall i foundGod Of War: Ascension is for the most part the good old GOW we've come to know and love which in this case is the most disappointing part. It's GOW 3 with that extra bit of gloss and minor game mechanic tweaks. The single player campaign is short but sweet, however with lesser boss fights. The most redeeming part of the whole package is the multiplayer, fast paced and fun. Overall i found GOW: Ascension a minor disappointment. Expand
  65. Mar 23, 2014
    I don't understand how they cripple the greatest things that the god of war series had because of the multiplayer: the controls. They were responding instantly on other god of war games but not this one. Also the magic system has been dumbed down by giving you fixed number of casts and the moveset requires you to not get hit to be able to do the best attacks so most of the time, you willI don't understand how they cripple the greatest things that the god of war series had because of the multiplayer: the controls. They were responding instantly on other god of war games but not this one. Also the magic system has been dumbed down by giving you fixed number of casts and the moveset requires you to not get hit to be able to do the best attacks so most of the time, you will be stuck with all the starting attacks (since the controls aren't as responsive, you get hit more easily than on the other games).

The story was good, the boss fights were awesome as ever but the controls and changes on the skill/magics system are killing it for me.

I sold back the game while i kept all the others. What a waste... :(
  66. Mar 13, 2013
    In short, if you are a God of War fan or an action fan, you will love the hell out of this game. Graphics Amazingly Beautiful. Game play- The same old hack/slash but with more intuitive controls and control during quick time event sequences. BRUTALLITY!!! I mean really brutal. Story A more understanding story like God of War 1 and Ghost of Sparta. It's not like we haven't seen a humanoidIn short, if you are a God of War fan or an action fan, you will love the hell out of this game. Graphics Amazingly Beautiful. Game play- The same old hack/slash but with more intuitive controls and control during quick time event sequences. BRUTALLITY!!! I mean really brutal. Story A more understanding story like God of War 1 and Ghost of Sparta. It's not like we haven't seen a humanoid Kratos but it gives us more a understanding to his motivations why he just hates gods overall. Pacing is an issue though with some difficulty spikes that will agitate the hell out of you. I'd say if they didn't spread the health chest around then this would have been the hardest God of War game I played and I played 3 on Titan Mode. No Multiplayer Part I'm not regreting my 60 bucks. Expand
  67. Mar 14, 2013
    A great addition to the God of War saga, certainly not the best regarding the story since we've have already experienced the most epic parts of Kratos' journey but still pretty compelling and exciting! Also adds a pretty cool multiplayer and of course stunning visuals and great gameplay. A must buy for the fans of the series and a game that other gamers not very fond of the series shouldA great addition to the God of War saga, certainly not the best regarding the story since we've have already experienced the most epic parts of Kratos' journey but still pretty compelling and exciting! Also adds a pretty cool multiplayer and of course stunning visuals and great gameplay. A must buy for the fans of the series and a game that other gamers not very fond of the series should definitely check out! Expand
  68. Apr 19, 2013
    after playing GOW 3 i buy the collector edition of this one and i was really disappointed because is the same as GOW 3 with a bad story and same moves even inferior than the ones in GOW 3, is a good game, but fans will know this is just Santa Monica trying to make money for their next project.
  69. Mar 17, 2013
    So, this game is hard for me to review. I mean, it is a great game, worthy of a great score, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it's one I will play through more than once. It feels like something is missing even though, the combat is smooth like you would expect, the visuals are amazing, the puzzles actually had me puzzled, a few times. Kratos just doesn't seem himself. They try andSo, this game is hard for me to review. I mean, it is a great game, worthy of a great score, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it's one I will play through more than once. It feels like something is missing even though, the combat is smooth like you would expect, the visuals are amazing, the puzzles actually had me puzzled, a few times. Kratos just doesn't seem himself. They try and give him some humanity and at this point your not sure if he should be the most angry he has ever been or if it's more justified later in your conflict with the gods of Olympus. The multilayer is like putting Kratos against Kratos and it is fun in game play and customization. I am not sure how long it will be played before you move on. All in all a great game like I said just feels different not as connected to Kratos. Expand
  70. Mar 17, 2013
    Good points:
    -Great combat options
    -Amazing graphics -Best boss fights ever -Epic intro and ending -Great grabbing options -Medium-high enemies difficulty -Great multiplayer -Interaction with scenery weapons -Best soundtrack ever Bad points: -No secondary weapons (seriously!? where the hell are our secondary weapons!?) -Weakest story of the saga -Repetitive -"Why am I doing
    Good points:
    -Great multiplayer
    -Interaction with scenery weapons
    -Best soundtrack ever

Bad points:
    -No secondary weapons (seriously!? where the hell are our secondary weapons!?)
    -Weakest story of the saga
    -Repetitive
    -"Why am I doing this?" moments
    -No challenge puzzles
    -No sex time
    -Many DLCs coming
  71. Mar 16, 2013
    Pretty much the same game as the previous GOWs, with the addition of the multiplayer and some little details here and there. The campaign is very good (epic, fun and with sweet graphics) and the multiplayer, even being a bit confusing in the start, it's fun. However, the game has some negative points. First, the story of this game is lame. Simply because it isn't powerful or engaging, atPretty much the same game as the previous GOWs, with the addition of the multiplayer and some little details here and there. The campaign is very good (epic, fun and with sweet graphics) and the multiplayer, even being a bit confusing in the start, it's fun. However, the game has some negative points. First, the story of this game is lame. Simply because it isn't powerful or engaging, at least not anymore. The whole plot of the series already reached the high climax in GOW 3. When i played GOW Ascension i enjoyed the plot but i didn't get excited with it in the same way i did with GOW 1,2 and 3. Second, the great things of the GOW series, in this game, aren't impressive like they used to be. The barbarian soundtrack, sweet combat system, QTEs, level design, all that feels like "commonplace" at this point of the saga. Overall, a good game but it's disappointing for me to realize that i'm playing, essencially, the same game i played in 2007. Expand
  72. Jun 16, 2013
    With this game the story of God of War just got bigger and some things where explained. In therms of story this game made well but the thing i disliked was the camera that trolls you in some moments and you can barely see Kratos and the enemies, but apart of that the music and the graphics look very good and the gameplay is ok in comparision with God of War 3 that sometimes get annoying. IWith this game the story of God of War just got bigger and some things where explained. In therms of story this game made well but the thing i disliked was the camera that trolls you in some moments and you can barely see Kratos and the enemies, but apart of that the music and the graphics look very good and the gameplay is ok in comparision with God of War 3 that sometimes get annoying. I played a while the multiplayer and i enjoyed it. I would give it a 8 but with the multiplayer i give it a 9. Expand
  73. Mar 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. sure it does not have the scale of god of war 3,but it adds on so much to the franchise that it gives me hope for a sequel,i never cared this much about kratos as much as i do now,he is not the same anymore,he is not a merciless killing machine,here he is a warrior who had suffered beyond measure from his torture to the death of his family you could still sense his human side,he still is going destroy anyone in his way as long as he gets in his way for he is tired of the furies,of his unfair oath.
    combat is even better than the previous instalments of the franchise and take it to a whole new level from magic,to rage,to the secondary weapons,it all feels so good and satisfying.the visuals are even better than god of war 3 which surprised me!every drop of blood,sweat or water,every muscle in kratos' body is detailed beyond any game i have played on ps3.not to forget the surprisingly good multiplayer!this game has everything,try it out.
  74. Mar 13, 2013
    El Calvo is Back The Best Game ever made, SuperB Graphics and cinematics better than God of War 3, You must understand the story before writing a review, You can,t expect fight against Titans or Gods because the story starts almost 10 years before God of War 1 PS2 and six months after he sacrifices his family to Ares. You will find a epics battles, the human side of Kratos, new brutalEl Calvo is Back The Best Game ever made, SuperB Graphics and cinematics better than God of War 3, You must understand the story before writing a review, You can,t expect fight against Titans or Gods because the story starts almost 10 years before God of War 1 PS2 and six months after he sacrifices his family to Ares. You will find a epics battles, the human side of Kratos, new brutal and bloody combat design better than GOW3, unparallel and beautiful stages design, Incredible music and sound track, Santa Monica is preparing us to God of War 4 on PS4. Compi hicimos honor con este review el Bichh! Expand
  75. Mar 20, 2013
    This game is extremely worse than the previous GOW, there aren't weapon variety, the plot is avarage at best and the game feels rushed as hell in some parts, the game is full of tht tedious moments that joins the camera moving from a ppoint to a point to show you what to do, mixed with a few cutscenes and QTE. Sure it has some ideas that could have made the game better, the pltforms feelThis game is extremely worse than the previous GOW, there aren't weapon variety, the plot is avarage at best and the game feels rushed as hell in some parts, the game is full of tht tedious moments that joins the camera moving from a ppoint to a point to show you what to do, mixed with a few cutscenes and QTE. Sure it has some ideas that could have made the game better, the pltforms feel more natural, the auto aim is very good for flying monsters, and the magic bar is better designed than in previous games, but it could have been much MUCH better, is impossible to recommend this game over GOW3 for example, also, the combat in this game is worse too, there is only one weapon, ONE! the rage meter sucks, because the animations in GOW always have made the enemies hard to read, and full meter almost always mean mash R3+L3, the QTE idea of evade and attack is a good base idea but it could have been better designed, so why the game is worse than the past GOWs? Simple, the multiplayer, this game does NOT need mp, is like launch Final Fantasy or Deus Ex with mp, stupid, I have played it and is a stupid mess, with random parrys, random mash, etc, it's is obvious that the sources that went to do the mp could have made the single player better, I hope that the next GOW doesn't add mp and focus on what GOW should be, an amazing single player experience, because this is only a dissapointment, I do NOT recommend its purchase. Expand
  76. Mar 12, 2013
    I will make it simple. This game continues the epicness of this franchise. It may not be like his predecessors, but it is a lovely game to play that will satisfy your needs to kick ass!
  77. Mar 17, 2013
    This is the most disappointed sequel in the whole series of "God of War" that I have played. In short terms, I can list some points to explain why the "God of War: Ascension" can't not reach the level of what a "God of War" series should have.

1. The bad camera: In some battle scene, you can see the camera is zooming out farther and farther from the position of Kratos; I think the designer want use this zoom-out trick to show how great and magnificent the landscape is, but in a red-hot fighting with lots of powerful monsters who want kill you immediately, who care the landscape? In this situation, our hero Kratos was mixed into lots of monsters, like an ant fight to ants, you always don't know which monster is the murderer who kill you, because all of them looks mixed together (with unrecognized HERO).

2. Failure checkpoint: After countless trial and errors, you almost complete a serial hard-fighting, at the last wave, an unexpected attack kills you. Congratulations! you must fight from the very first wave of these serial-fighting, WITHOUT the red orbs you got in the last battle!

3. Block is not immediately active and Invincible time of dodge is too short: Two terrible failures in a action game, there is no need to explain why...

4. Failure weapon system: there are four elements of weapon can choose Fire, Ice, Lighting and Soul; actually, you can hard to say the difference of these elements, their biggest difference is that the COLOR, not the special effects. The only remarkable advantage is the online multiplayer mode, this is really a Innovative game play that can save the single player mode. According to these reasons, "God of War: Ascension" can get 6 score.
  78. Jan 24, 2014
    A huge step up from God of War 3. Ascension brings us back to the good old days of God of War. No more over talkative preachy Kratos. In God of War 3 there were too many characters with too many lines... which made for some really bad voice acting and cringe worthy/corny lines. In ascension, you feel like you're playing a real God of War game. If you're somebody who doesn't care aboutA huge step up from God of War 3. Ascension brings us back to the good old days of God of War. No more over talkative preachy Kratos. In God of War 3 there were too many characters with too many lines... which made for some really bad voice acting and cringe worthy/corny lines. In ascension, you feel like you're playing a real God of War game. If you're somebody who doesn't care about story/atmosphere/voice acting/music..... and the only thing you care about is gameplay, then this game is just like all the other god of war games. The gameplay is the same (of course)... but everything else is a great improvement from God of War 3. God of War 1 is still my favorite in the series, but Ascension has definitely moved into 2nd place. And yes, I have played all the gow game (including both PSP games). I actually have not played that mobile gow game though. Expand
  79. Apr 20, 2013
    Great game, story is very good, graphics is awesome, blood every where, epic ending. This is a great prequel and you will have a great time. The multiplayer is fun, you will keep playing this game for month
  80. Mar 24, 2013
    This game looks and plays great, but it really just feels like more God of War with a less interesting story than usual. If you're a longtime GoW fan, you'll still have plenty of fun with this game. If you're thinking about jumping into the series now, try the older games first.
  81. Mar 27, 2013
    Utter disappointment, though great game.
    New combat system is deeper, but less fluid. Elemental powers great idea, don't have the supposed effect. The combat system is not as well refined this time and this is probably because of the shift in focus towards the multiplayer. If this game came out on the Vita, it would be the best game for a portable device ever.
    If you play first GoW III
    Utter disappointment, though great game.
    If you play first GoW III and then Ascension, you can't help not being disappointed.

In each and every game of the series there's been an evolution in the combat system. Even in the PSP versions, the Thera Bane was somewhat different, but suitable. It made you feel more powerful. In Ascension, you feel less powerful, because you cannot combo anymore. Building up the rage meter should be easier, so that you could unleash your repertoir of moves. You cannot because staying untouchable isn't as easy as in the other games of the series. Even when your meter is full, you feel that it's more difficult than it should be. The arenas are crowded with enemies and they are more aggressive than ever. The parry system is destroyed sadly. The timing must be precise (not TOO precise), but the final blow is not worth the effort plus you're open to attacks. So, all you can do is evade and get 1-2 hits (not the square,square,triangle combo cause it's likely you'll get hit) and build up the rage meter so you can evade more and deal more damage in as less time as possible.

That's the thing with Ascension. You'll plan your each battle so that it takes as less time as possible. In previous GoW titles, I wanted to dissect each and every one of them. (I'm OK) In this one, because of the extended health bars of the enemies the combat seems to drag. You don't feel the brute force...

It has some great ideas, and the story (although useless) isn't half bad. The puzzles are there, the ideas and the items and the collectibles too. They also included more climbing, hanging and traversing time and tricks which is great (though the slides are more than they should).

At the end of the day, all I feel is that I wanted this game to be more. Story wise it was difficult. The decision to make a prequel brings problems. Some were solved, but some were not. All in all it's the most frustrating GoW game. And the others were not frustrating. That's why it's disappointing.

Next time, I expect Kratos to go back in time to face Titans. Please. Do that. I don' t know how. You' figure out something.

ps. The buttonless minigames and the new killing animations are in the right direction.
  82. Mar 19, 2013
    The best god of War series i`ve ever played!!! The Story Was good And The graphic.... the graphic is awesome!!! the gameplay was Same As other gow series. However because Of the new weapon system, it was fun! Also, the multiplayer is Awesome too. Beatiful graphic good story and new multiplayer made me to give this game 10 out of 10
  83. Mar 12, 2013
    AWESOME game,as always
    SantaMonica did it again
    I recomend to all
    Gameplay with litle diferences but as fun as always
    Flawless experience so far
    Kratos looks amazing and the world too
  84. Mar 12, 2013
    I was excited to see what new was there in the new GOW, sadly the game felt the same as the old one it was nothing but mash this, kill that, after all these years i expected the combat to change but it was the same more or less.

The game was slightly better than DmC but overall felt like a beat em up than hack & slash the chain blade weapon is slow this time around giving the illusion AI being challenging a bit, the sound effects are good,but i overall didn't like the too dramatic scripted boss battles, the world feels empty & hollow at times & i couldn't wait for the demo to end, sorry this is the truth, IMO after so many years of GOW sony could have improved the game

If you weren't into god of war before then you wont be now, with the Online MP said to be underwhelming, i don't find anything appealing about the game

In the end it's just another button masher & gore game for fans of such thing, which is a shame really since santa monica have developed quite the repute, mainstream gamers & GOW cult gamers will love it, not sure about people like me who want challenging grunt enemies, fun combat with loads of weapons, live surrounding which lets you soak the atmosphere & less brainless button mashing
  85. Mar 13, 2013
    It's true, God of War: Ascension takes a long time to pick up pace (in terms of story). Even though the combat is more solid than ever, and the scope in all of its masterful glory is what you've been waiting for, the absence of story compared to that of GOW3 makes the first portion of the game seem a bit slow. However, there have been tweaks made to the combat that ascend Ascension to aIt's true, God of War: Ascension takes a long time to pick up pace (in terms of story). Even though the combat is more solid than ever, and the scope in all of its masterful glory is what you've been waiting for, the absence of story compared to that of GOW3 makes the first portion of the game seem a bit slow. However, there have been tweaks made to the combat that ascend Ascension to a new high and the visuals are absolutely stunning. I haven't had a chance to delve into multiplayer fully, so I'll exclude that portion here. If Ascension would have used the first several hours of gameplay to really make the player feel the sorrow and insanity Kratos is facing, I think we could have seen the best entry in the franchise. At the end of the day, if you're a fan of God of War or action games in general, you're not going to find much (if anything) to complain about here. It's brutal, it's beautiful, and most of all, it's a blast. Expand
  86. Sep 1, 2013
    God of War: Ascension does not move Kratos' story along but tells a prequel story of how Kratos broke his oath with Ares. The story of Ascension is bare bones, it gives you all the details but nothing more. The characters are also uninteresting as no Gods show up in this one. The game play is a whole different story. It seems faster and smoother than any other game in the series. You onlyGod of War: Ascension does not move Kratos' story along but tells a prequel story of how Kratos broke his oath with Ares. The story of Ascension is bare bones, it gives you all the details but nothing more. The characters are also uninteresting as no Gods show up in this one. The game play is a whole different story. It seems faster and smoother than any other game in the series. You only have one weapon in Ascension, the Blades of Chaos, but that does not mean you do not have other options. Each God gives you a different power for your blades that you can upgrade. There are also other trinkets that help you in battles and puzzles. Some of the enemies are new and there death scenes are pretty brutal. The graphics are gorgeous but do not look any different from God of War 3. The multiplayer has a neat premise but in the end it just comes down to a button mash fest. God of Ascension does not break any new ground but refines what the series does best. Expand
  87. May 8, 2013
    Todd Papy is no Stig Asmussen. Gameplay is muddled by an obnoxious overuse of camera movement, excessive special effects. I shouldn't have to keep trying to figure out where Kratos is on the screen. Dodge move feels laggy. Audio seems strangely flat. Some cutscenes are unfinished. Even without the comparison to GOW3, this is the weakest in the GOW series. Disappointed. Graphics are prettyTodd Papy is no Stig Asmussen. Gameplay is muddled by an obnoxious overuse of camera movement, excessive special effects. I shouldn't have to keep trying to figure out where Kratos is on the screen. Dodge move feels laggy. Audio seems strangely flat. Some cutscenes are unfinished. Even without the comparison to GOW3, this is the weakest in the GOW series. Disappointed. Graphics are pretty amazing though. Expand
  88. Apr 26, 2013
    This is a very good game, but it is a major letdown compare to GoW 3. The gameplay is as good as ever, with new combos, powers and items. The multiplayer is a refreshing fun addition that kept me playing for hours trying to unlock new weapons. But the story struggles, because sometimes you ask yourself why we're you there, and then you remember why the point of the story was, which didn'tThis is a very good game, but it is a major letdown compare to GoW 3. The gameplay is as good as ever, with new combos, powers and items. The multiplayer is a refreshing fun addition that kept me playing for hours trying to unlock new weapons. But the story struggles, because sometimes you ask yourself why we're you there, and then you remember why the point of the story was, which didn't happened with previous GoW. Furthermore if you are a GoW fan you will love this game, if not even with issues the game is still awesome. Expand
  89. May 1, 2013
    Ascension brought multiplayer to one of the best franchises. You see Kratos smile in the game.. a genuine smile crosses his face; if that's not enough for fans out there then I don't know what is.
  90. Mar 28, 2013
    Bottom Line: God of War Ascension is fun and it successfully continues to implement and expand on the puzzles and combat mechanics that have defined this franchise. However, the plot is the same repetitive story line line used in other installments of the franchises. If you are looking for something new to be adding to the God of War Mythos you won't find it in Ascension. The good: God ofBottom Line: God of War Ascension is fun and it successfully continues to implement and expand on the puzzles and combat mechanics that have defined this franchise. However, the plot is the same repetitive story line line used in other installments of the franchises. If you are looking for something new to be adding to the God of War Mythos you won't find it in Ascension. The good: God of war is addictive with his high paced action sequences and it pace changing puzzles that prevent the fighting action sequences from becoming stale. It is very easy to get immersed into the experience through the proper tone and easy flow the combat mechanics have. Nothing feels clunky or out of place and even the variety of artifacts Kratos picks up on the journey have their place in combat adding to the narrative without making it feel like a cheap gimmick. The bad: Unfortunately there is no new innovations when it comes to the plot. I obviously don't want to give away the ending, but Kratos for the longest time has been on a journey to free himself from his guilt and all this game does is continue the same plot points. You could probably replace the furies, the antagonists in this game, with Ares and you could reasonable argue that you have god of war clone. The entire plot of Ascension is pretty much the same as God of War chains of Olympus, where Kratos is told or promised that he can be free from his inner curse, but ultimately the promise falls flat. I for one was looking for a bit more. Outside of game play some puzzle are challenging not because you have to think but because you have Kratos standing in the wrong place. During my run through I came across a pinwheel puzzle and while I was able to figure out how to solve it in about 2 minutes it took me forever to figure out where I had to have Kratos stand so I could use his special artifact. Expand
  91. Mar 12, 2013
    I am one hell of a GoW fan, and so it hurts me deeply to see such a disappointing, utterly unnecessary... thing.

The game is poorly paced, thanks to a complete lack of any motivation getting you through pretty setpiece to underwhelming boss fight, with extra annoying monsters to pad the gaps. The bestiary is lacking (think Silent Hill: Downpour), and its limited assets keep swapping elements and/or color. The Blizzard School of Enemy Design, I see...

Music is good, though easily forgettable, and the sound, my God! the sound keeps getting cut during cutscenes, resulting in a audiovisual experience. Or the game bugs. That's a nice touch.

I don't know about multiplayer, because I certainly wouldn't touch the thing, but let me tell you that if it shows the same lack of polish the solo campaign does, well...

All in all, it should be noted that Ascension brings absolutely NOTHING new to the table. Everuthing it does, it was done better by previous GoW titles... Even by previous rip-offs. It is a cut and paste job straight from the GoW 3 Scrapyard, complete with a boring story and too few interesting sights to behold. I never thought I would see the day Chains of Olympus was going to be out-sucked. Todd Pappy should retire. That is all!
  92. Aug 31, 2013
    God of War Ascension is a disappointing game, but at the same time, a very good game. My exceptancys were very high, but the plot is very bad. Obviously, the game contain all the good mechanics, graphics and brutal violence of the previous games and this saves the game and makes it worth playing
  93. Apr 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A needless addition to the god of war series, I beat the game on normal in 7 hours with nothing to interest me into playing it a second time. The story wasn't there and them trying to "humanize" Kratos was something I personally didn't like. The same combat system is fine, it's always a joy to cut open an elephant's skull exposing his brain. The system works just the same as before with different powers (focusing on the chaos blades) tossed into the mixed, there's nothing wrong with more hack n slash bloody goodness. The graphics as always for god of war are gorgeous, it's certainly another pretty game to look at. There were at times some awkward camera angles and for me, Kratos would even fall off the map and I would die. This happened on the mechanical snake part and the final boss battle on the boat. Additionally the Trial of Archimedes, which was supposedly so hard for some people that the developers were releasing a patch to make it easier, was extremely easy. I beat it on my first try, the difference in that part is, you have to spend your mana wisely and maybe actually block a few times. Multi-player is just bleh. It's just kind of there in all it's button mashing glory. It really doesn't add anything to the experience and I wish they just focused more on the single player as GOW should remain a single player focus I think. As I stated above this really did not need to exist. I'm pretty upset I ended up paying $60 for this prequel and got a measly 7 hours out of it, without a really engaging story or memorable moments. Expand
  94. Mar 19, 2013
    Just finished the main campaign and i loved it! The graphics are probably the best ive seen on ps3, its insane. Im not forgetting snake riding any time soon. Battles are very dynamic and brutal, with some new mechanics like grappling or wall bouncing, its incredibly satisfying. The game is quite challenging at some points, in fact its so hard that there is a patch coming out that lowersJust finished the main campaign and i loved it! The graphics are probably the best ive seen on ps3, its insane. Im not forgetting snake riding any time soon. Battles are very dynamic and brutal, with some new mechanics like grappling or wall bouncing, its incredibly satisfying. The game is quite challenging at some points, in fact its so hard that there is a patch coming out that lowers the difficulty of Archimedes Trials, because many people cant pass it. GoW Ascension brought me lots of pleasure, im still yet to try the multiplayer, but little does it matter, im already completely amazed. Expand
  95. Mar 17, 2013
    This is my first God of War game and I gotta say it is really good. scenery and combat is outstanding as well as its other abilities and secondary weapons and combos. My complaints for this game are about the camera angle being too far for most of the game causing me to have a hard time seeing things and battling enemies. Plus there is a crap ton of mini bosses you see in the game, almostThis is my first God of War game and I gotta say it is really good. scenery and combat is outstanding as well as its other abilities and secondary weapons and combos. My complaints for this game are about the camera angle being too far for most of the game causing me to have a hard time seeing things and battling enemies. Plus there is a crap ton of mini bosses you see in the game, almost too much, but thats not necessarily bad. I like it and I think it was a good game for me to play for a change Expand
  96. Mar 13, 2013
    4 hours in and I got to say this is the saddest excuse for a GoW game...I'm not even going to finish the SP let alone give the MP mode a chance...If you've played ANY other GoW game (I've played all of them) you'd understand just how disappointing Ascension is...maybe (and hopefully) Santa Monica gets it right the next time around...
  97. Mar 15, 2013
    Jogo totalmente desnecessário, incluíram conteúdo que foi cortado de God of War 3 e acabaram inventando um jogo mediano que peca em história. Somente foi dado foco ao multiplayer. Parece que estou jogando um DLC de God of War. O game existe partes BEM CHATAS (SO BORING) que deixam o jogador desmotivado. Não digo difíceis, mas momentos de extrema apelação dos inimigos, principalmente noJogo totalmente desnecessário, incluíram conteúdo que foi cortado de God of War 3 e acabaram inventando um jogo mediano que peca em história. Somente foi dado foco ao multiplayer. Parece que estou jogando um DLC de God of War. O game existe partes BEM CHATAS (SO BORING) que deixam o jogador desmotivado. Não digo difíceis, mas momentos de extrema apelação dos inimigos, principalmente no modo hard. Expand
  98. Mar 18, 2013
    Here's yet another game for this generation that seems to have been made only as a cash-grab. The game is still God of War, and by now you know whether or not you like the series and if this is your type of game. I've been a fan of the 3 proper installments of the franchise (GoW 1,2 and 3), but never cared much for the side story/prequel games that were the PSP titles. Ascension to meHere's yet another game for this generation that seems to have been made only as a cash-grab. The game is still God of War, and by now you know whether or not you like the series and if this is your type of game. I've been a fan of the 3 proper installments of the franchise (GoW 1,2 and 3), but never cared much for the side story/prequel games that were the PSP titles. Ascension to me feels exactly like the PSP titles, stripped of all the bells and whistles of it's console brethren, only on a big system instead of a portable. Which is a shame, because the game looks great, and plays great, but the story is extremely weak (in fact, I never really knew what I was doing other than just out to kill stuff), the game has a major weapon and equipment setback (only the Blades of Fury, and now you no longer have Pegasus Wings or the Golden Fleece, or anything cool for that matter), and the biggest problem is the game just lacks that "epic" feel of the previous games. There are no Greek Gods to kill this time around, which is a letdown, and the bosses are all pretty hum-drum. Multiplayer is pretty ho-hum a well, and probably won't really keep you entertained for more than an hour before it will have run it's course. It's clearly an experiment, and lets just hope it stays on the cutting room floor for God of War 4. Save your money and either rent this game, or wait for a nice price drop! Expand
  99. Mar 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is everything I have expected for it to be; Brutal and Spectacular! This is the most refined GOW game yet (YES EVEN BETTER THAN GOW3), with great combat additions, great variaty on the scenery, nice puzzles and great pacing. I know that it is not as Epic as GOW3, but that is because of it being a prequel, so Kratos cant fight a Titan or other things like that, but still it is freaking epic and ultra fun to play. The weapons system in Ascension is better than in GOW3, because of instead getting different kinds of the same blades (that are not as useful as the original), you alter the original blades with elemental power and thus enabling you to some really crazy stuff, and also you have the ability of using weapons dropped in the stage an complement your combos with lots of great stuff, or if you dont feel like picking them up, there is a new melee system that is also really sweet. You can also use some gadgets in combat and stop time. really really sweet!! The grapple here is changed. Now you grab opponents with R1 instead of circle, and now you can do a lot more stuff while you have grabbed them. You can either hit the one you grabbed, throw him against other enemies, or even while grabbing him fight other dudes. The combat is freaking awesome as you may be already expecting. Another addition to combat is that when a monster is about to die, and you trigger the killing minigame, there are some enemies, that offer a QTE-less minigame, and now you are the one to dodge and hit him when having the chance. There are also the other minigames with QTEs, but they are done really good too, so they dont take the action out of the game The soundtrack is the best of any GOW game yet. Even though it has at times music featured in other GOW games, they have been changed and tweaked, making the experience even more epic. How the story unfolds, is really nice. You get a much deeper story experience than in any other previous GOW game. The acting the motion capture is top-notch!!!! I wont spoil the story for you so I will stop right there :D. The now features a new game plus option, which is really nice, because it adds even more replayability than before. If this game only had the single player portion it would be still the best GOW game out there, with a SP longer than GOW3!! BUT there is more in the package wohoo!! The multiplayer is really cool, I have not played much yet, because I also have some responsibilities, but so far it is really entertaining. I picked up ARES as the olympian I would fight for, so that I can also be some sort of Kratos in the MP lol XD. Each Olympian gives to his champions different abilities, so it is really cool to play against and with other people that have different kind of sets of moves, and looked in awe they great attacks even if they are killing you! :P The game is well balanced, and even though it is based on MP modes we have already played in other games, the fact that this is GOW, makes them really fun and visceral to play. As you already noticed I am having an spectacular, and fun time playing this. If you are a GOW fan, dont let you to be convinced by reviewers who have not even bothered in exploring all the things the developers have added in this game. This game is quite amazing if play and explore it just like you did the previous GOW games. And if you are not a fan, and you just want to play a great action adventure game, if you play this game, and let it flow you will have an amazing experience with it. For me, this is the best action/adventure/hack n slash game I have ever played. the action, the music, the story, the graphics, are amazing, and together bring to life an outstanding package you can not miss. Expand
  100. Mar 16, 2013
    Everyone compares this to GOW3 when it should be reviewed on its own since it's a PREQUEL.The game delivers what it must deliver:incredible graphics,better combat,over-the-top action and a fun multiplayer. Seriously,stop hating on this game,it may not be the best GOW, but as a a prequel, it gets its job done.

1. Jun 16, 2013
    God of War: Ascension does exactly what you would expect from a God of War title.The sheer amount of violence and tension is simply breathtaking, especially when taking place right on top of a giant creature. The entire experience is accompanied by stunning graphics and an impressive soundtrack. While the multiplayer is somewhat disappointing, it is apparent that Kratos is still this generation's most fearsome warrior.
  2. May 7, 2013
    You can point out that Ascension failed to make a real step forward. You can argue that the multiplayer mode is a foreign body, a strained attempt to find innovation in the wrong place. That’s true, but in my eyes the foundation built by the previous God of War games proved to be strong enough to sustain what I hope is just the calm before the storm that Kratos will unleash on PS4. And damn, Ascension looks unbelievable! [CD-Action 05/2013, p.64]
  3. Ascension shows a warrior who is miles away from being the ultimate and flawless killing machine we all know and love. He is more like an unguided projectile here, trying to cope with all the injustice delivered unto him. [April 2013, p.62]