5.8

1. Funkymonk
    Jan 26, 2009
    As a big fan of the classic original I can only express dissapointment at this update. The gamplay is repetitive, the fighting flawed and apart from a few of the characters it doesn't even have much in common with the original. Do not buy this. Not even at a bargin bin price and especially not if you have a soft spot for the old Golden Axe. You're the ones who would be most let down.
  2. RobertV
    Sep 3, 2009
    The game has the potential to be good but the execution is beyond terrible. The games is hard and unfair, making you watch all the cutscenes over and over when you die, and trust me you will die a lot. It gets insanely tedious. The balance in the game is a right mess as well, it seems completely random when you can evade/parry or not, or if your attacks will stun an enemy. I don't The game has the potential to be good but the execution is beyond terrible. The games is hard and unfair, making you watch all the cutscenes over and over when you die, and trust me you will die a lot. It gets insanely tedious. The balance in the game is a right mess as well, it seems completely random when you can evade/parry or not, or if your attacks will stun an enemy. I don't know how many times i've timed my button press just right only to get hit anyway, and subsequently get killed by a mob. I was hoping for some mindless hack and slash action with a hint of nostalgia with this game, but the only emotion this game conjured was utter frustration. Stay clear from this one, that's all i can say. Expand
  3. sfamsfam
    Dec 27, 2008
    If I had to describe this game in one word it would be "frustrating." The beasts can't be controlled well, the game LOVES to send incoherent respawn creatures to surround you in an enclosed area, the "necessary" defense stuff really is atrocious, and you get money that you never can use. Truly a waste of $$$
  4. Jan 1, 2013
    Golden Axe tries to bring back the memories but fails to deliver the same quality as the other Golden Axe games. You play as Tyris, there is also other characters that make guest appearances. The combat is just bland and uninteresting. The game just doesn't feel like it lives up to it's past. The game runs nice though and the graphics aren't that bad for a 2008 video game. The game is notGolden Axe tries to bring back the memories but fails to deliver the same quality as the other Golden Axe games. You play as Tyris, there is also other characters that make guest appearances. The combat is just bland and uninteresting. The game just doesn't feel like it lives up to it's past. The game runs nice though and the graphics aren't that bad for a 2008 video game. The game is not that bad it just doesn't feel like the same. Expand

1. Golden Axe: Beast Rider confuses the tribute to retro with the flat and boring gameplay. The new game of SEGA is mediocre in every aspect, and comes as a failure in its attempt to recover a legendary name and turn it into a worthy product of Next-Gen platforms.
    This is a game worth avoiding like the plague, even if the classic remains deep and warm within your heart.
  3. The graphics and sound are great, and the numerous challenges and arena modes offer some diversity. If you're up for a quick hack-and-slash game, rent it. If you want a game with depth, however, this Axe needs sharpening.