• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 24, 2010
7.5

1. Nov 26, 2010
    A solid racing game, but not worth 6 years waiting and all the hype. Some tracks and all the standard cars look awful, the models look like direct rip from gt4. I wonder where did the producer spent the money and time on. GT should be a game that set new standards for the industry, but this game doesn't deliver.
  2. Nov 24, 2010
    I was anxiously waiting for this game and, somehow, it let me down. The front-end menus are terribly cumbersome, loading times are bad enough, online gaming is limited and there are not enough options to customize the lobbies.

Having standard and premium cars together is atrocious, simply put. You can not drive from the interior camera on the standard cars, and there are 700 of them. Only premium cars offer **** views (around 300 or so). Both can race together and it gets ridiculous, since standard cars are lower res, jagged and with inferior lighting and shadows.

The driving itself is really really good, specially with the premium cars and their unbelievable graphics, but everything else screams "dated" to me - options, menus, online, progression. It's a shame.
  3. Nov 24, 2010
    Ignore most of the other reviews people. 10's and 0's are obviously coming from fanboys.

If you're considering getting the game consider this: 1) Generally the visuals aren't better than Forza 3. There are special moments, but there are also moments that don't look good at all. 2) The damage system is very poorly implemented. You can crash into a wall at 200km/h and you'll be fine. 3) The

If you're considering getting the game consider this:
    3) The single player mode isn't a cohesive experience.
    4) Porsche is not in GT5. Polyphony didn't think it was necessary to create a single RUF model from the last decade - a license that they have from a manufacturer of Porsche clones.
    5) Steering with an analog stick is hell.
    6) Playing online with your friends is a bit of a chore.
    7) The main menu is really slow.
    8) The standard models don't look that bad.
    9) The music is uniformly bad.
    10) Customisation options are very limited.
    11) A bunch of your favourite cars and tracks are probably not in this game

IGN said it best when they said it's a 10/10 sim wrapped up in a 5/10 game. Decide which of those figures has the most meaning to you.
  4. Nov 26, 2010
    Firstly I'll set my stall out - I'm no X-box fan never owned one or played on one, but I've played on all versions of the GT series. Most gripes have been covered already, the menus are cumbersome, the in-game music is shocking (thankfully you can turn it off!) and the 'standard' cars are annoyingly sub-standard. The premiums are so nicely rendered with care that it feels such a let downFirstly I'll set my stall out - I'm no X-box fan never owned one or played on one, but I've played on all versions of the GT series. Most gripes have been covered already, the menus are cumbersome, the in-game music is shocking (thankfully you can turn it off!) and the 'standard' cars are annoyingly sub-standard. The premiums are so nicely rendered with care that it feels such a let down with the rest. Then the 'premiums' - why, oh why, do we need a Suzuki Cappuccino '05 AND an '07 version?? They are exactly the same, even the trim is identical! Not sure how many other duplicate 'premiums' are about (no doubt the usual glut of skylines). Now, I suppose we should know what to expect from this series, going through licenses and repeating the Sunday cup until you have enough for a decent motor but come on its the 5th main installment and its lacking the excitement of recent next gen games, such as nfs shift. Not saying that was perfect but I had great fun playing that, and playing GT5 just feels stale in comparison. This just doesn't sit right with me (especially as i forked out on the signature edition!). Why does a game 6yr or so in development feel incomplete, rushed and so disjointed? It even has one of my most annoying bugbears - trophy design... couldn't they show some imagination and design individual icons? Not asking for much there surely, in all that time. Its double standards - saying they wanted the perfect sim, going into so much detail, yet so many things are not. I still have my doubts the physics are that realistic too, it drives well for the most part but some challenges (mainly on the top gear events) seem unnatural. I'm hoping a bit more time and perseverance will open up more challenging and exciting racing but at the moment I feel a bit let down. Expand
  5. Nov 24, 2010
    While it is easy for developers to create a game surrounded around sex and violence simply to cash out on a quick buck, Polyphony Digital does the exact opposite. They spend 5 years making one single game that does not involve anything the current videogame industry is obsessed with (zombies, apocalyptic environments, open world gameplay, first-person shooters, etc...) and it does isWhile it is easy for developers to create a game surrounded around sex and violence simply to cash out on a quick buck, Polyphony Digital does the exact opposite. They spend 5 years making one single game that does not involve anything the current videogame industry is obsessed with (zombies, apocalyptic environments, open world gameplay, first-person shooters, etc...) and it does is executed in an extremely classy way. Gran Turismo 5 couldn't feel more refreshing to the gaming-enthusiast, especially when a market is saturated with macho-men titles. Yes it is a blockbuster sequel, but that does not make it feel any less awesome. Expand
  6. Nov 24, 2010
    I've been playing the game for roughly 11 hours now and it's officially a let down. For a console simulation the game has taken the genre to new levels however PC simulation still rules. While I feel an increase in overall communication with my cars it also has this arcade aspect to it.. The lack of modifications & premium models really ruined the replayability of this title for me. TheI've been playing the game for roughly 11 hours now and it's officially a let down. For a console simulation the game has taken the genre to new levels however PC simulation still rules. While I feel an increase in overall communication with my cars it also has this arcade aspect to it.. The lack of modifications & premium models really ruined the replayability of this title for me. The fact that most of our favorite cars are either not in the game (2006+) or older standard models PD was too lazy to allow mods on. I mean we can't even change the wheels on standard cars. PD and Kaz clearly were in the bubble too long drinking the Koolaid to notice the genre passing them by. The game smelt of moth balls last release, unfortunately this one was no different.

Sony fanboys are some of the worst and GT fanboys are the cream of the crop.. I imagine they are in disbelief right now even as they play this game for themselves. It's hard to believe how a game almost six years in production could feel rushed. The game is a 7.8-8.2 just out of respect for PD.. I however would like to give it a 6.. I chose a 7 as a happy medium.
  7. Dec 8, 2010
    I have fond memories of past games in the series. While I enjoy GT5 somewhat, it is without a doubt a huge disappointmnet. I guess I was expecting a thoroughly refined and perfected gaming experience with challenging races by good AI and a sleek overall presentation. GT5 amazingly fails on most fronts. This game should have been a masterpiece. I can only think the design team locked awayI have fond memories of past games in the series. While I enjoy GT5 somewhat, it is without a doubt a huge disappointmnet. I guess I was expecting a thoroughly refined and perfected gaming experience with challenging races by good AI and a sleek overall presentation. GT5 amazingly fails on most fronts. This game should have been a masterpiece. I can only think the design team locked away in their bubble of self confidence ignored the changing times and advacements made in racing games and games in general. To call this a 10 is to be in immense denial. The single player "campaign" is out dated in it's presentation and just plain dull as a racer. The beauty of driving can't be denied but as for the racing experience. I just find it dull. Expand
  8. Nov 22, 2011
    Sadly, after 5000 years in development, it wasn't worth the wait.
  9. Nov 24, 2010
    First of all, let me state that I'm a pretty avid racing simulation fan. Currently, I'm playing rFactor, but I've also, played GTR, GTR Evolution and a little bit of iRacing. Those are all true racing simulations. So I can say that, without any doubt, GT5 is not a "real" racing sim. The visual aspect is purely amazing at times. Even with the standard cars looking a bit sub-par, along withFirst of all, let me state that I'm a pretty avid racing simulation fan. Currently, I'm playing rFactor, but I've also, played GTR, GTR Evolution and a little bit of iRacing. Those are all true racing simulations. So I can say that, without any doubt, GT5 is not a "real" racing sim. The visual aspect is purely amazing at times. Even with the standard cars looking a bit sub-par, along with a few of the courses I tried, there is no other racing game out there that looks as good as this one. The sound is not perfect, but definitely solid. The physics...well...here comes the problem. I've noticed a great improvement to the feel of weight, and body roll to the car, but every single car still seems as if it's riding along on a set of rails. I find myself panicking when I slam on the brakes and send the car into a seemingly endless slide only to realize that the car can simply pull back into the turn as if it had never happened. There is no sense of oversteer in cars which clearly should have it(I got my hands on a Dodge Charger), while understeer seems to be present in every car. And while Polyphony has a done a great job with the braking aspect, I can't help but to see glimpses of the horrid physics in GT4 shining through. Along with the clustered mess of the menu and the mundane career mode, a game that had so many years of work put into it, is well...disappointing. Even so, this game can be fun, and gives you plenty of variety including night, weather, and online races supporting up to 16 players. However, the lack of consistency in the physics leaves a lot to be desired. Expand
  10. Dec 1, 2010
    So I had high hopes for this game. Loved 2,3 and 4 and the PS3 has been missing this game for the two Forza releases the 360 got bestowed. It's a massive disappointment. Deeply flawed, stuck in the last decade and early 2000 at that. This game was rushed to release somehow after spending 5+ years developing it. The menu is inhibitive, clunky and soul destroying. There is no real direction,So I had high hopes for this game. Loved 2,3 and 4 and the PS3 has been missing this game for the two Forza releases the 360 got bestowed. It's a massive disappointment. Deeply flawed, stuck in the last decade and early 2000 at that. This game was rushed to release somehow after spending 5+ years developing it. The menu is inhibitive, clunky and soul destroying. There is no real direction, the special stages feel like they're tacked on because the a-spec is not enough. I have no idea what they were thinking when they created the b-spec, it just doesn't make sense as a game - especially as they seem to make you do (watch) more laps than the a-spec.
    The one thing that drags this game out of 4 score territory, is when you get to race some decent cars against decent opponents. It's a real trill. The Ferrari 430 Scuderia special was immense.
    However this game screams of the the fact Yamauchi has no idea what modern games are and no respect for gamers. When you get a new car - you have to manually accept it and then get subjected to all the loading screens, etc to see the car drive up to you on screen, then loading screens back to the main menu. It might make sense if you got a nice motor, a Koenigsegg or something. But to have to do that to everything, Lupos and Yaris alike is insane.
    Colour me disappointed.
  11. Nov 30, 2010
    Simple The game is visually stunning cars look amazing, but the menus, the slow load time, the poor damage system, the A.I., and the sound track! all work to knock the Score way down for me. when there are so many racing games out there right now that handle all these things so much. for example I went off the rally track and hit some string and sticks on the side of the road and bouncedSimple The game is visually stunning cars look amazing, but the menus, the slow load time, the poor damage system, the A.I., and the sound track! all work to knock the Score way down for me. when there are so many racing games out there right now that handle all these things so much. for example I went off the rally track and hit some string and sticks on the side of the road and bounced back on to the track This is not what I want after 5 years of waiting, its perfect line nerf racing. This is the same GT youâ Expand
  12. Nov 28, 2010
    I'm a car guy that grew up in the NES days with only a handful racing games, and none were even close to being a sim. The GT series came out and quickly became my favorite series. After GT4 released other devellopers stepped up and improved on the formula. With six year of devellopment, I got to play a Gran Trismo with rehashed AI (yes, even the unlocked 'smarter' AI is quite terrible),I'm a car guy that grew up in the NES days with only a handful racing games, and none were even close to being a sim. The GT series came out and quickly became my favorite series. After GT4 released other devellopers stepped up and improved on the formula. With six year of devellopment, I got to play a Gran Trismo with rehashed AI (yes, even the unlocked 'smarter' AI is quite terrible), rehashed wobbly physics and 800 rehashed GT4 cars. Even the premium models aren't as consistent as the fanboys imagine, but that's just a small part of the game.

The environments, what I actually look at from inside my car in a race, don't match the cars at all. While the new city based tracks are gorgeous for the most part, they don't capture detail like Project Gotham Racing 4, which is three years old. The real tracks like Laguna Seca, Suzuka and Curcuit de la Sarthe are not only hard to look at but in some cases don't even resemble the actual location beyond basic layout..

Tuning and customization are next to non-existant. In the years since GT4, other devellopers have introduced high levels of tuneability and modification. I'm not just referring to the ability to toss a Ghostbusters logo on a car either. Other titles in the genre let me change everything from wheels/tires, to aero parts, cam profiles, to the fuel system used. It's all just a change in numbers to the physcs equation, but the point is if I want to drive a modded VW Golf in a race against a Z06, I now have that option. GT5 removes these option, essentially moving backwards in a genre GT created on consoles.

The visuals are terrible. To clarify, indeed they are at times gorgeous, the photo mode turns out fantastic shots and the dedicated bullshot generator (photo travel) means I will never have to buy another car magazine, at least not for pictures of the 200 cars it allows me to take pictures of. The environments I went over, but the smoke effects, weather effects, and general cobbled-together look of this game is absolutely terrible at times. Never have I seen such a pretty game look so ugly 5 seconds later. The worst offender is the frame rate and screen tearing, which actually affects the gameplay (London) The AI drivers are all idiots. I kept hearing "oh but they get smarter when you level up!" I'm not seeing it. I did notice one AI car swerve to avoid me after I clipped a wall, but the next 6 all piled into me and each other. They just kind of sat there pushing me into the wall (litterally, my car was partially in the wall) while the other cars continued the race. Sadly this isn't an isolated case in my game. I also noticed I'm still allowed to plow into AI cars and use them as a guardrail at will with no consequence.

Physics and control. This to me is the absolute most important part of any 'simulator' above everything else. These are not new physics, these are still a step below what we had in GT3 before it was dumbed down for GT4 to make room for all the extra visuals. With such a supposedly impressive physics engine running, where is my telemetry data? I get to watch my tires turn red or green, that's about it. I can't read tire pressure/temps/wear/friction etc like in other games not to mention look at what part on my car is taking wear. This information is important so I can tune it to fix those issues before my next race... Oh that's right it would be useless to me anyways since I can't actually do anything to change my car's handling. This genre and the physics engines driving them have evolved since GT4, but apparently Polyphony has been too busy flying around the world playing with cars on Sony's dime to bother making a video game. Granted this is a console 'sim' like Forza and thus I do not expect infinite points of customization, but I would at least expect the game to offer a fraction of what Forza 3 brought to the table(or even Forza 1 for that matter) What an absolute shame.

The extras destroy the game. Kart racing is both watered-down and the tracks created for them are among the worst looking things I've seen on the PS3. The weather effects could have been great (like in PGR4 again) but they offer no real substance and frankly look just rotten. The track editor is not worth typing about, and finally the damage modeling. We have different variations in the game, some have to be unlocked for some reason. The cars aren't actually damaged though, they simply deform or have parts fall off. No downshifting early and blowing the motor, no failing brakes, etc.

I really want to give this game a 5 as I truly believe it is just that, completely average. I gave it a 6 just for all the content and the fact that there is a somewhat solid game under the garbage that got dumped on it at the last second before they shovelled it out onto store shelves before Xmas. This game was a mistake that took Polyphony SIX years to make. I'll always remember GT fondly, up until this release.
  13. Dec 3, 2010
    Same game. Different system. The graphics are beautiful, as we knew they would be, but it's the same thing that Gran Turismo has been doing since the beginning. Buy a car, win some races make some money, buy more cars, win more races, rinse and repeat.

There is absolutely nothing here that warrants shelling out $60 to buy this game unless you are simply a Gran Turismo fanatic. Rent it just to take a look at the great visuals but don't waste money on a purchase if you have ever played a Gran Turismo game before. Because you've played this game already.
  14. Jan 31, 2011
    Have had the game since Christmas and have finished nearly 90% according to my user profile. I'm not sure if I truly like much about the game besides being compelled to complete as much as I can before shelving it for good. It feels that everything I've done to this point has been done 4 times before, but with different quality of graphics. Same tuning options as the last fourHave had the game since Christmas and have finished nearly 90% according to my user profile. I'm not sure if I truly like much about the game besides being compelled to complete as much as I can before shelving it for good. It feels that everything I've done to this point has been done 4 times before, but with different quality of graphics. Same tuning options as the last four iterations, similar progression, many of the same cars from GT4 and very few new cars. Only a couple cars from the last 2-3 years have made it in so forget about something like an S4/S5 Audi, newer BMWs and Mercs, no CTS-V and lets not forget the lack of Porsche. After such a long wait, I very disappointed at the lack of depth, poor interface and anything innovative. Hopefully the next version of Forza will give us something new. Expand
  15. Dec 6, 2010
    First, a bit of background information. I have a PS3 and an XBox 360, I've owned every single Forza and all Gran Turismo's from 3 until now. Well, where to start with this game. I wanted so badly for this game to be a new gold standard, but alas it has fallen short. Six years of development time meant that nothing short of perfection would be enough for a good score, and GT5 fallsFirst, a bit of background information. I have a PS3 and an XBox 360, I've owned every single Forza and all Gran Turismo's from 3 until now. Well, where to start with this game. I wanted so badly for this game to be a new gold standard, but alas it has fallen short. Six years of development time meant that nothing short of perfection would be enough for a good score, and GT5 falls significantly short of simply "good". Turn 10 has been very confrontational with their fan-base, and I was convinced that the only way for them to turn it around was for GT5 to be astounding. However, after playing it for a week, I can state that this is not the case. The game lacks the polish so often associated with Polyphony Digital. The whole standard vs. premium car thing really sets me back and comes of as tremendously half-assed. The graphics of some of the standard cars are laughable, PS1 era graphics, and the textures belong in Duke Nukem 3D. The Anti-Aliasing is terrible with the shadows and smoke, leaving your car looking like a stair-case every time you venture off course or do a rally. The shadows run at about 5 frames per second, just take a look at the shadow's movement during a replay, you'll be very saddened. The menu system is so convoluted, I have to resort to internet boards to figure out how to a fix the correct tires for a race. And to top it all off, the driving physics feel like they took the GT4 engine where every car felt like a Front Wheel Drive Civic, and made it have uncontrollable, snap, oversteer. The physics do not feel like real life, and I challenge anyone who believes me wrong to take an M3 out on a road-course and see what I mean.

However, it does do a number of things very well. The photography section is amazing, although I'm a little put off by the fact that I have to unlock certain photo locals by doing impossible challenges. I love taking photos in the game, but there are places I'm not good enough to ever unlock. Disappointing, to say the least.

The Premium cars are astonishing, although like the Standard cars, not all Premiums are alike. Some look like slightly dressed up Standards, while others look like real life. However, who's idea was it to have a Premium Prius and a standard M3 CSL? There are some cars that are cool, and some that are not. PD seems to be confused by this.

Overall, it's a decent, playable game, and I hope it improves significantly with updates. But for me, it will be a simple play until I've beaten it, then it will go back on my shelf, next to NFS: Shift and Grid. Not a terrible amount of replay value for me. Back to Forza 3 I'm sure.

I think my friend summed it up the best when he said "Gran Turismo is beautiful to look at, then you try driving and it's like driving a Buick through butter-cream."
  16. Dec 8, 2010
    GT5 disappointed me. I've played GT, GT2 and GT4 and I was expecting no more than what they said. I felt like replaying GT4 with slightly new improvements. However for the bad side the good things that normally a GT has, diminished considerably. I feel that the cars are more artificially and heavy, affecting all the game experience. The best thing is: graphics. Yet not so relevant when theGT5 disappointed me. I've played GT, GT2 and GT4 and I was expecting no more than what they said. I felt like replaying GT4 with slightly new improvements. However for the bad side the good things that normally a GT has, diminished considerably. I feel that the cars are more artificially and heavy, affecting all the game experience. The best thing is: graphics. Yet not so relevant when the gameplay is bad. Expand
  17. Apr 17, 2011
    This is by far the easiest racing game I've ever played - I won at least 80% of the "races" in the career mode on my first try. I put the word "races" in quotes because after playing this for two months I never once felt as if I'd been in a race, just navigated through a moving obstacle course of mindless computer programs that were utterly oblivious to my presence on the track. With noThis is by far the easiest racing game I've ever played - I won at least 80% of the "races" in the career mode on my first try. I put the word "races" in quotes because after playing this for two months I never once felt as if I'd been in a race, just navigated through a moving obstacle course of mindless computer programs that were utterly oblivious to my presence on the track. With no actual racing taking place in this game, it's quite a failure as a racing game. But that's not all - if you played GT4 and GT5 Prologue, there's almost nothing new in this game. It offers the EXACT same gameplay experience as GT4 - except GT4 had a long and deep career mode. GT5 has a short and utterly disappointing one. Before long you find yourself doing nothing but repeating the same races over and over and over just to earn money to buy cars. And it's twice as boring because there are almost no new tracks in this game. And you're just winning every race every time. This is the most overhyped and disappointing game of this generation. Six years to make this?!?! Any other developer could have finished this up in 18 months. Expand
  18. Oct 13, 2011
    My main issue with GT5 is that for all the Simulation goodness it might do, it's not really a very interesting or exciting game. Racing is terrifyingly boring; the sounds are kinda muffled and the graphics leave to be desired, to be honest.The fact that you have to unlock damage and physical features by leveling up is beyond ridiculous...
    If you have spent more then your house's worth on
    If you have spent more then your house's worth on racing apparel you probably own it to yourself to play it, but if you are looking to an exciting racing game with realistic feel, to have fun, look elsewhere.

I don't own an Xbox 360, so I have never played Forza, and can't really say how it stands next to GT5. If I had to point at a replacement, Shift 2: Unleashed (Need for Speed's simulation -ish branch) is where it's at for me, as a gamer, not as a driving simulator enthusiast.
  19. Nov 30, 2010
    Gran Turismo has always been, for me, the premiere and class leading realistic driving game. Being involved in the automotive industry and media for most of my professional career, expectations for Gran Turismo 5 were very high. GT5 was suppose to be the be-all end-all of driving games. So how did it do?

GT5 definitely nails the driving simulation aspects. The driving physics are

GT5 definitely nails the driving simulation aspects. The driving physics are absolutely great and completely unforgiving. Extreme precision is needed to move your car down a track quickly and I really like that. The premium vehicle models and tracks look amazing. The vehicle selection is plentiful. If you're a car nut, GT5 gives you a lot to love, but the game as a whole goes rapidly downhill from there.

The menu system is confusing, inconsistent, and generally a complete mess. The damage model is almost entirely invisible and doesn't affect the performance of your vehicle. The progression system is outdated and uninspiring. About 800 of the 1000 vehicles in the game are low quality models carried over from previous games and look terrible. The vehicle upgrade and customization systems have little to no depth.

Just when you think nothing else could go wrong, something of epic proportions does. When I'm really driving, whether it's competitively or casually, the one thing I always feel is the passion, excitement, and ownership of every action I perform and every situation I experience. It's an event that truly moves my soul. Some could argue you could never get that feedback from any game and they have a point, but there are games that somehow show this is possible. Forza Motorsports 3 makes you feel connected on an emotional level to your vehicle because you have to build a relationship with it through Forza's extensive upgrade and customization system in order to perform optimally. When you get it right, you feel that connection.

And there in lies the biggest problem of all. Yes, GT5 drives accurately. Yes, GT5 looks amazing. Yes, GT5 has so many cars and tracks that it makes your head spin. But at the end of the day, what you have here is a technical marvel that's entirely soulless and simply lacks the fun you should be having. Not only are you disconnected from the game, you get the sense the developers are completely disconnected from what the gamer wants. They spent so much time making this thing driving perfection, that they completely forgot about the emotion. I wanted to love it so much, but Gran Turismo 5 turned out to be one of the most disappointing games I have ever played.
  20. Nov 26, 2010
    I was underwhelmed with the racing experience on GT5. Sure, the graphics are pure eye candy but that alone does not make a great game. Arcade Mode on Professional provides miserly challenge .. that more often than not, you can win by a country mile by the time you cross the checkered flag.

The challenge on FM3 is far better - if i could pin it down, it would be that the racing is much closer, the challenge that much harder and there is always the excitement of taking defensive / offensive lines. On GT5 its all very sterile .. you can even bump into the AI to slow you down into corners and get away with it. FM3 is less forgiving and you would be spinning your way off or damaging your gearbox or engine. Don't get me wrong, I use the Force GT steering and i thoroughly enjoy the steering and force feedback when you aquaplane or losing grip on GT5. It's enjoyable as a tech demo to show off the game's graphical prowess as you navigate around the circuit .. great graphics .. good handling etc. It is definitely a competent game. A superly great game for a lot of folks I reckon. But it wasn't for me. But after being spoiled by FM3, GT5 comes around as rather tame. And I really had high hopes that the bar would be raised. But it hasn't - except maybe in the visuals department. And I confess that I am disappointed.
  21. Nov 29, 2010
    The claims that the bad reviews are rom 360 fanboys are silly. I have all PS3, 360, and Wii, and each is great. Gran Turismo 5 however, is not. All you have to do in order to realize this is watch Gamespot's interview with one of the game developers! The entire hour he is demoing the game he is pointing out flaws. Lowered graphics on the majority of the cars (even the shadows have horribleThe claims that the bad reviews are rom 360 fanboys are silly. I have all PS3, 360, and Wii, and each is great. Gran Turismo 5 however, is not. All you have to do in order to realize this is watch Gamespot's interview with one of the game developers! The entire hour he is demoing the game he is pointing out flaws. Lowered graphics on the majority of the cars (even the shadows have horrible aliasing on the "premium models"), no real damage of any kind, no interior views except "premium" cars. The load times are long, a lot of environmental textures just look like flat images that pass by, and the AI is completely unaware of your presence on the track. The "upgrade" options are laughable, being as generic as paying for an "engine upgrade" that doesn't even tell you how it will change the specs of your car. That's pretty much your main performance upgrade. If you're looking for a really detailed sim racer with lots of upgrade and customization options, Forza is far and away the better game.

That being said, sometimes the game does look beautiful, and with the sheer number of cars and the detail that goes into their handling, you have to give them some credit. It is probably the most realistic racing sim out there (yes, I own Forza 3 as well), and I will definitely play this game through, but the whole time I'm doing so I will be wishing that Polyphony made better on a lot of their promises.

My rating does not detract for "clunky menus" or "bad music" (the music is actually a nice change from your standard racer, although I guess not for everyone), because honestly, they don't affect the game at all.

So far I've only completed all of the "Beginner" racing events, so perhaps things will get more exciting as I go on, but I'm not expecting much except for things to go faster.
  22. Nov 26, 2010
    As IGN said, it's a 10/10 simulator in a 5/10 game... but to me that doesn't somehow add up to an 85% score. In fact, it's not even a 10/10 simulator, as the collision physics (whether with a wall or with other cars) are terrible. That wouldn't be so bad if collisions were rare, but the AI is unaware of your presence and will run into you over and over again. So much of the game isAs IGN said, it's a 10/10 simulator in a 5/10 game... but to me that doesn't somehow add up to an 85% score. In fact, it's not even a 10/10 simulator, as the collision physics (whether with a wall or with other cars) are terrible. That wouldn't be so bad if collisions were rare, but the AI is unaware of your presence and will run into you over and over again. So much of the game is unpolished that it is difficult to see where the 6 years went- surely not just on the graphics of photo mode and the premium cars?

Oh, and if you only have a controller and not a wheel, seriously do not bother. Without feedback there's no feel in the driving at all.

Disappointment of the year.
  23. Nov 29, 2010
    Ok, so as to not rehash everything written about the game from bad menu's, THE DAMAGE....oh come on where are you, the total lack of mechanical faults and wear and tear on the cars, or the rubbish AI.

It is a reasonable driving game non the less. Does it live up to expectations and the HYPE not even close, and i mean they are not even in the same race which is where the blame should rest. With so long in the making everyone expected big things with improvement thats would blow your mind, and if you pay homage to that then of course you could give the game nothing more than a ZERO and im sure so many of the reviews come from that view point.

If you put all that aside and just look at it from the merit of the game it is then, it has some crisp graphics, moments of a great racing game and feeling of competition but it is so often clouded with the feeling of an imcomplete game that after all this time is still buggy, unpolished and not on par with other games in the genre. All things considered, the sound is the biggest let down by far, with dynamic crashes sounding like nothing more than a plastic coke bottle hit you in the hit, engines that resemble cards stuck on the spokes of your bike ( ah chlld hood memories ) and a sound track that is just a resume for people to find there place in the job que down at the local supermarket.

I feel disappointed and robbed of the expierence that should have been a great game, but after the hype and constant delays should we have really expected that this would result in something great, as I cant remember a time where something game, movie, tv show, anything was delayed and the final product was worth the extra wait.
  24. Dec 2, 2010
    When you hear 1000 cars youfirst think about 5 years in the making but when you see that 800 of those are of "rushed" quality then that figure starts to look more realistic. The game looks good and plays good but not enough content to justify full retail price. If you played the other GT AND you are an absolut carnut *with posters of cars on your walls and diecast models) then this game isWhen you hear 1000 cars youfirst think about 5 years in the making but when you see that 800 of those are of "rushed" quality then that figure starts to look more realistic. The game looks good and plays good but not enough content to justify full retail price. If you played the other GT AND you are an absolut carnut *with posters of cars on your walls and diecast models) then this game is for you. If you only play car game for fun better skip this and get midnight club or Need for Speed. Expand
  25. Nov 27, 2010
    This game is more like Gran Turismo 4.5, not much better than the last GT, which definitely hurts this game. I own both xbox and PS3, and I can for sure tell you that Forza 3 is way better than GT5; From the sounds in Forza, to the modeling of the cars, to the easiness of menus. WTF were the developers doing for the last 5 years, are you kidding me, you couldn't get the sounds for the carsThis game is more like Gran Turismo 4.5, not much better than the last GT, which definitely hurts this game. I own both xbox and PS3, and I can for sure tell you that Forza 3 is way better than GT5; From the sounds in Forza, to the modeling of the cars, to the easiness of menus. WTF were the developers doing for the last 5 years, are you kidding me, you couldn't get the sounds for the cars in all that time..... I do how ever like the driving physics of this game, they are very realistic, and that the only thing that saved this game for me. I would buy this game to own and play, it definitely came of the pedestal for me and was replaced by Forza. Expand
  26. Nov 25, 2010
    I am not a `hardcore' racing game fan but I suspect the majority of people thinking about buying this game are not either so perhaps these impressions will be useful to a few who read this. I confess that much of the sophistication of GT5's driving probably goes over my head, and I may be more likely to notice presentation before the difference between good and great driving physics.

I

I think that a player's enjoyment of the game will depend really on their preparedness to look for the positive aspects of the game and `block out' some of the less positive ones. At the moment I'm actually puzzled at some of the stuff I'm seeing. Upon starting the game one is greeted by an extremely classy introduction to the game. All seems good! Proceeding then to the GT mode, which has traditionally been the main part of Gran Turismo games, one would think that the first race a player would enter would be an impressive showcase for the game. This is not the case though! It is on the track Autumn Ring, which in my view looks dreadful- a track surrounded by what seem to be carboard cutouts of trees, set against a harsh lighting which only seems to exacerbate the impression. All the while, the player may be driving around this track in a car which looks as good as anything ever seen in a video game. For reasons I don't really understand, this side-by-side existence of the superb with the surprisingly bad seems to pervade how the game looks. I think I was not alone in expecting to see something incredible in the graphics department from this game. Surely the long development time was going to lead to this! There're `wow!' moments for sure, but also many things, like the track mentioned above (something else which comes to mind is zombie Jeff Gordon's inability to lip-sync with himself, I hope that never happens to me) which look a lot worse than things found in a game such as Dirt 2. Why the inconsistency? This inconsistency is not just present in the appearance of the tracks of course, as mentioned at length in other reviews. And so, even though I'm thoroughly enjoying most of this game, it is very difficult to avoid moments where things, for lack of a better word, look unfinished. Was this game rushed out? I'm really not sure. Still complaining about the tracks, I note that many of the odd graphical touches exist for tracks which are in both GT5 and GT5 Prologue. In the three years between the games, the developers clearly saw no need to fix what, to them, wasn't broken. It seems then that if you're able to think more like Polyphony Digital do about games, then this game is more likely to be an incredible experience. If though you would like a polished, consistently visually impressive showcase like Uncharted 2 is for its genre, be prepared to be disappointed.
  27. Nov 26, 2010
    I could't help thinking to myself last night whilst playing, Six years, 60 million dollars, what the **** have they been doing with the time and money. At the moment I would have to say it's a huge disappointment. The graphics engine has not been improved one bit from the one used in Prologue (still screen tearing when in **** view) and that game is around 2 years old. The 800 non premiumI could't help thinking to myself last night whilst playing, Six years, 60 million dollars, what the **** have they been doing with the time and money. At the moment I would have to say it's a huge disappointment. The graphics engine has not been improved one bit from the one used in Prologue (still screen tearing when in **** view) and that game is around 2 years old. The 800 non premium cars look awful (PS2 GT4 graphics), and many of the original tracks are very bland. The menus are ok but some of the loading times are terrible. Handling is good (but is it that important if your playing on a pad to have a handling system that is apparently brilliant), damage engine is poor. Forza 4 can take a breather, you won't have to aim very high to beat this. In fact Forza 3 is a better game than GT5. I would also like to point out that I am not a Sony fanboy idiot or a 360 fanboy idiot. Expand
  28. Nov 25, 2010
    Truly disappointing, definately not worth the wait. The graphics have the same flaws the prologue had 3yrs ago; flickering shadows with jaggy edges, aliasing issues on backgrounds. The graphics are inferior to Codemasters GRID in every way and that's 2yrs old! The Arcade mode has a very poor selection of cars and tracks; no San Fransisco, no El Capitano, very few of the original tracksTruly disappointing, definately not worth the wait. The graphics have the same flaws the prologue had 3yrs ago; flickering shadows with jaggy edges, aliasing issues on backgrounds. The graphics are inferior to Codemasters GRID in every way and that's 2yrs old! The Arcade mode has a very poor selection of cars and tracks; no San Fransisco, no El Capitano, very few of the original tracks that made the previous games, very few American Muscle cars. In GT Mode you can't even buy the cars fratured in the pre-release videos. I wanted to drive the 1969 MkII Dodge Charger that I saw in the videos, but I can't find it anywhere. The GT Mode sees the return of "Manager Mode" (now called Spec B) no-one ever used it! It's hard to see what PD have been doing for the last 3yrs. Add to all this the Japanese obsession with ritual (buy a car then unpack it from the delivery truck just so it shows up in your car list) and this game really is a fail. It's just too dated and of too poor a quality to be taken seriously! Expand
  29. Nov 27, 2010
    Ok, where do I start? ... Alot of things just let this game down, 800 Cars with bland textures that (and I'm not joking) look like a PS2 game, a menu system that can confuse the best of them ( I wanted a Japanese classic car for a race and could not find one anywhere) and AI that sticks to there racing line NO MATER WHAT! Apart from that lot ^ this game HAS kept me up night after nightOk, where do I start? ... Alot of things just let this game down, 800 Cars with bland textures that (and I'm not joking) look like a PS2 game, a menu system that can confuse the best of them ( I wanted a Japanese classic car for a race and could not find one anywhere) and AI that sticks to there racing line NO MATER WHAT! Apart from that lot ^ this game HAS kept me up night after night for a few good reasons. 1: The photo mode creates outstanding realistic photos (But, only if the car is premium) 2: Top Gear Test track 3: Video Replays... for those of you who "live" racing games this game satisfies, but... it lacks the polish...every time I play I just keep thinking PGR4 did this same thing if not better, and that was a few years ago. In the end its a mixed bag for me, great this, bad that (I think if they (PD) had of just made the 800 "standard" cars more detailed I would have lived with the rest and given it a higher score :) Expand
  30. Nov 25, 2010
    Best looking racer...but lacking the fun part!

Best looking racer...but lacking the fun part!

This is a gorgeous game no doubt, but there is one big problem that makes this a rental. The fun stops quite quick. There is a reason that games do not get too realistic, its just not fun. And that is this games biggest problem. It does hold your attention for a while. But with a lackluster sense of speed it becomes crazy boring. If you like sim racing more then arcade then you will love this game. The options and car selection are insane. But if spending more time tinkering in menus then playing the game doesn't float your boat stay away. But at least give it a rental, you never know.
  31. Mar 22, 2011
    I was once an amateur street racer and sometimes autocrosser. The problem with racing games is that they're too realistic and not forgiving enough. When I'm on the street I can hear my tires squealing when they're reaching the limit, I can feel my back end getting loose in the corner which encourages me to mash the gas. Without the car telling me these things I feel blind, but theI was once an amateur street racer and sometimes autocrosser. The problem with racing games is that they're too realistic and not forgiving enough. When I'm on the street I can hear my tires squealing when they're reaching the limit, I can feel my back end getting loose in the corner which encourages me to mash the gas. Without the car telling me these things I feel blind, but the excellent physics of the game demands I respond to this information that, if it's giving it to me, I don't understand. The tires squeal all the time, I can't ever look into turns to see where I'm going, and the mod prices and custom options are ridiculous - the same for every car. If you want a good racing game there is still no game better than Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed. If you have a panoramic TV a racing simulation pod, this is probably one of the better racing games on the planet . . . if you don't it's merely a fairly interesting romp through flash cars and bad ass tracks. Expand
  32. Dec 15, 2010
    They've put so much effort to make it the best driving simulator that they forgot everything else.
    The Up parts are the majority of cars, the driving, the detail level, the sound and everything that has to do with driving experience.
    The down parts are extensive loading times, lack of features that all previous GT had (for example 1000 meter test, Apricot Hill circuit, change rims in all cars and so on), not many manufactures to buy new car, plus that they left many models only in used cars... and for some reason it feels like they rushed it out, maybe is cause they did rushed it out and that is why already we got 2 updates.

For sure GT5 (as every GT) will be the benchmark for every racing game till GT6.
    To sum it up, as a simulator is an 11/10, as a GT sequel is a 6/10, as a current console generation game is a 9/10.
    But as a GT fan from PSX and by being sure that Yamauchi via updates will complete he's work, I'll give a 10.
  33. Dec 20, 2010
    I'm on both platforms with no preferences for either. I'm not on the payroll! Real quick...
    The good: Some of the cars look great, some have great looking interiors. The physics are great but no more that the competition.
    The bad: You can't play interiors, in other words...way to much time was spent on the interior stitching while 1000 cars where just imported from GT4 and look absolutely horrible! I mean I feel like I'm back in 1998 or something. The menu system...what the?! The online play is a huge mess and not worth a dime. No way to save car tuning. No replay controls?! No way to actually have statistics for tuning, all done by feel! What a mess. Look, I purchased a Playstation 3 for this game, I got screwed! Sony is asleep with it's face in the rice bowl, while Xbox runs away with the online gaming. Sad to say (I'm not a Turn 10 fan) but if Forza 4 is anything close to Forza 3, Gran Turismo is done for! My grand children will laugh when GT 6 comes out.
    To resume: Wait for Forza 4. Sorry to say (as a fan of the series) Grand Turismo is dead!
  34. Jan 16, 2011
    GT5 is typical Gran Turismo and then some. The graphics are incredible (standard cars don't look bad at all). The driving physics are fantastic besides damage, but if they really did damage realistically, plenty of people would hate GT5. Every car has a unique feel and sound that I don't think any other game matches. I don't know if they had such elaborate descriptions of every car inGT5 is typical Gran Turismo and then some. The graphics are incredible (standard cars don't look bad at all). The driving physics are fantastic besides damage, but if they really did damage realistically, plenty of people would hate GT5. Every car has a unique feel and sound that I don't think any other game matches. I don't know if they had such elaborate descriptions of every car in previous versions, but I love reading about the history of the cars before I buy them. There are some songs I really like on the soundtrack, and some I really don't like (I wish I could customize a playlist...). As others have said, single player mode is a bit I haven't made an account online yet, so I can't comment on online play. I think the number one thing I dislike about this game is load time. I probably spend just as much time waiting for the game to load as I do racing, even after taking 50 mins to install to the hard drive. But that's the price you pay. Overall, it's a great racing simulator. If you love cars and racing, get GT5. If you want an exciting game, go for something else, like Mario Kart. Expand
  35. Dec 4, 2010
    My love for this game has quickly ebbed the more I have played it. At first, I was gaga for gran turismo 5, but as I played it more, the menus and load times began to overwhelm me. I am a person who has little time for games and gran turismo 5 gives you litte play time for the amount of wait time you have to put into it. Granted, when racing, gran turismo 5 is eye candy. I mean fantasticMy love for this game has quickly ebbed the more I have played it. At first, I was gaga for gran turismo 5, but as I played it more, the menus and load times began to overwhelm me. I am a person who has little time for games and gran turismo 5 gives you litte play time for the amount of wait time you have to put into it. Granted, when racing, gran turismo 5 is eye candy. I mean fantastic graphics, and I am a sucker for good graphics. Some other reviewers mentioned that this game is easy and the AI is terrible. I would agree with both of those assessments. Winning the races is all about upgrading your car and crashing your way through the crowd. Real Driving Simulator? My ____. Since when does putting a new air filter on your car give you 10 more horsepower? Or a catalytic converter that gives you 5? Expand
  36. Dec 3, 2010
    EDIT: For all of my wordiness and blabbering I forgot to actually give the game my rating. Apologies for the double post.

I'll be straightforward by saying that I've owned an Xbox since 2007 and have both Forza games for that system while I only recently bought the PS3 for the purpose of playing GT5. My honest opinion is that GT5 is a solid racing game with plenty of cars to choose from. As a fan of muscle cars I was delighted to see the '64 pontiac GTO, Dodge Superbee, and of course the '69 Camaro SS as well as several great late model cars. While I could list my issues with the game I think it all boils down the the fact that GT5, with it's long development and budget, did not in my opinion put out a superior product. There are things it does better than Forza 3 and vice versa. However, I think I can say that any fan of racing games that does not own a PS3 can get an equally satisfying experience from Forza 3. In the same regard, if I owned a PS3 but not an Xbox I would definitely say that there was no need to buy an Xbox to go racing since GT5 will satisfy. Bottom line: GT5 is a great game but it hasn't set itself apart as the superior racer. As far as I'm concerned, GT5 and Forza 3 are on equal playing fields.
  37. Dec 8, 2010
    the driving mechanics are awesome and i really enjoy the pure racing sim experience. unfortunately nearly everything else in the game lacks polish. there are many stupid design decisions that remove from the fun. forza is a better game in nearly all departments.
  38. Nov 13, 2011
    It is a racing sim. And nothing more. PD has painstakingly made this game from idea, to paper, to blueprint, to computer, to alpha, to beta, to Gold Master. While it has it's faults and dinks (or lack of) it continues to suceed in polish and commitment. For that reason alone, it is higher than 5, for that reason alone, it can't get over 7.
  39. Nov 26, 2010
    Massive disappointment. It's not a bad game, but it could have been so much better. Riddled with bugs and weird design flaws, you have to wonder what they spent 5 years on.
  40. Nov 25, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Finalmente, dopo tanto tempo, GT5 diventa realtà. Purtroppo, come spesso accade la realtà non è bella come la fantasia e quello che doveva essere il gioco di corse si rivela un gioco di corse.
    Tanta, tantissima carne al fuoco, forse troppa con il risultato di bruciare una buona parte. Rimane un gioco da avere se appassionati di auto e corse, personalmente lo valuterei con un 7,5.
  41. Nov 24, 2010
    Percent waited five years to have no part in the outstanding quality it said. The time change, and specifications are quite unfortunately halfway weather change. This long period of time to waste, I would suspect eyes were doing. GT GT believer like I'm doing is more meaningful if there is no other game, but particularly adhered to buy. I collected the car and painful word.
  42. Oct 14, 2011
    So many bugs on release of this game that they have a huge list on the PS3 forums,. very disopinting for a game that took so long and is nothing like the previous PS2 quality releases, how any review could of give this game 100 is just a joke, how did they not see the bugs, the terrible sounds(not even any tunnel echo and screen tearing etc ?..

Anyone Comparing this to Forza 4 would not

Anyone Comparing this to Forza 4 would not be being fair on as Forza 4 is so much of a better game it's in a different class to this. I recommend Forza 4 as the better game if you have both consoles.
  43. Jan 24, 2011
    If this wasn't the latest instalment of the Gran Turismo series, I would probably hail it as a masterpiece, period. Perhaps I would be more inclined to do so even if, at least, the wait for it wouldn't have been at long. Unfortunately, as hard as I try I really see no reason why this game should have been in development for so long. Nothing in the game engine, physics, game modes orIf this wasn't the latest instalment of the Gran Turismo series, I would probably hail it as a masterpiece, period. Perhaps I would be more inclined to do so even if, at least, the wait for it wouldn't have been at long. Unfortunately, as hard as I try I really see no reason why this game should have been in development for so long. Nothing in the game engine, physics, game modes or anything justifies that: this is so dangerously close to GT5 Prologue that it should have come out one year later at most.
    Furthermore, the whole fuss about Gran Turismo finally sporting actual car damage turns out as a flat out hoax: a twelve year old toying around with Photoshop for five minutes would have come up with pretty much the same bumper deformations players can "enjoy" in GT5. Not to mention the ridiculous crash physics and sounds..
    This said, to virgin eyes GT5 can still be little short of amazing. The variety of cars and tracks can keep you going for a long while, even in the absence of credible AI competition and notwithstanding some minor (and some not so minor) graphical glitches. If you're happy just driving about comparing different makes and models and touring the car dealerships, GT5 will be no disappointment.
    All in all, I would rate this a very good game if it was called anything but GT5: however, this being the case, I can only rate it mediocre. Such a long wait and so many dedicated gamers deserved much, much more.
  44. Mar 23, 2012
    I'm honestly not much of a race fan and was hoping to find one great race game. I'm really quite disappointed at all the race games I've tried and this one is no exception. It seems no game has evolved much from the ps2 days except maybe in the graphics department. I recently bought the logitech driving force GT wheel and must say that this wheel greatly improves this game if you put theI'm honestly not much of a race fan and was hoping to find one great race game. I'm really quite disappointed at all the race games I've tried and this one is no exception. It seems no game has evolved much from the ps2 days except maybe in the graphics department. I recently bought the logitech driving force GT wheel and must say that this wheel greatly improves this game if you put the wheel on simulation mode. What really disappoints me about this game is that I really want a race game that is called a similator to actually be a similator. The sound in this game for me is the largest remaining turnoff. Sure, it is ok and so is a McDonalds restaurant too. I want something higher end. The sound should sound like the roar you hear off your TV when watching real racing. You can really hear the power of the cars and that is translated from audio pickup from a telecaster then translated to your home. This game, like many others still sounds like we are content with audio from the ps2 days. It seems to me Need for Speed Shift, heaven forbid i give EA a compliment seems to be the only game that put any effort into making the sound better. Anyway, other issues i have are lack of a good penalty system as in F1 2010. I love the flags and the cautions and that really adds to the immersion of the racing there....Further, how about little things like horns. Honestly, every car with the same horn and so feeble. Why bother. This is the attention to detail I need. I would guess many of these cars probably don't even have horns in real life. I don't know but the fact all these cars have so much replication and similarities really kills the simulation effect for me. What i do love about this game is they seemed to really nail the gameplay feel of the weight of each car, especially going around corners. This game is in its own category when it comes to proper technique. You can really nail the brakes before the turns, lower the front end, corner with precision and hit the gas. This is true technique unlike many other games. I just wish they tried to keep true to a better similation with the other important stuff like the penalty system and sound as mentioned before. This leaves me with judging this title as more arcarde then similation, which is what the game was adverstised as. This is still a very decent game, but unfortunately I personally still find it rather incomplete to my tastes, and still lots of the features seem last generation as if they cut and pasted a lot of A-spec and just updated some of the easier things to change and called it a day. This is pretty bad considering the work and time to make the game. Expand
  45. Dec 13, 2010
    IF this game had come out back when the PS3 was first launched then it would have been hailed as perfection and the 10/10 game scores would have been fair and worthy, BUT its four years after that and the world has moved on, but not in Polyphony digital land.
    The main criticisms with GT5 are the things that made it special in the first place, its huge car list and amazing graphics (the latter seemingly ported over directly from the PS2) the game spends too long trying to squeeze fun from driving decrepit old cars in slow silly races around tracks that have no place in the modern console gaming world, pop up is everywhere and some tracks look like they have been on the shelf for a good ten years, the vast majority of cars are direct PS2 ports and look terrible. handling is suspect and considering it is meant to be "the real driving simulator" some thing seems to be wrong.
    I own every GT game made and have even resorted to the competition in the long wilderness waiting years for GT5, sorry but Forza 3 beat GT5 to the goal and has actually beat it, GT6 is in the works according to Kazunori Yamauchi but on these results maybe he shouldn't bother.
    Loading times are a joke, cars crashing sound like someone playing football with a Tupperware box, graphics are average at best, handling is worse than in GT4 and it took 4 years to get this out?! what were you guys doing?
  46. Dec 16, 2010
    It's an alright title, I assumed the 5 years they were spending in development would involve improving the graphics but it looks an awful lot like Prologue, so while the cars themselves are done very nicely the tracks look awful and the shadows are horrendous. Also, why are there continuing commercials boasting realistic damage physics when there are absolutely none in the game? Just likeIt's an alright title, I assumed the 5 years they were spending in development would involve improving the graphics but it looks an awful lot like Prologue, so while the cars themselves are done very nicely the tracks look awful and the shadows are horrendous. Also, why are there continuing commercials boasting realistic damage physics when there are absolutely none in the game? Just like the last 4, the fastest way to get around a track is to drive as recklessly as you can. There is some cosmetic damage, but it does not affect your car's performance and is barely noticeable, and disappears after a race is over. The AI is poor, like many racing games your opponents seem to follow a set path around the track, ramming anything in their way. There are a number of dealerships that are missing in GT5, including Cadillac, Porsche, Buick, Hyundai, and MG. The only way to get cars made by these manufacturers is to luck out and find one in the used car shop. I had much higher hopes for the fifth installment in this classic Playstation series.

The Good:
    -Realistic driving
    -Massive variety of cars and tracks
    -Licenses are no longer required for later races (good for new GT players who want to race supercars)
    -Not as steep of a learning curve as previous GT games
    -Jeff Gordon looks like a muppet

The Bad:
    -Ambient detail is hideous
    -No realistic damage
    -Missing dealerships
    -Bad AI
    -Only select cars get the boasted new 'interior' view, drastically cutting down on immersion if you don't drive one of these cars

Rent first
  47. Jan 8, 2011
    Disappointing;
    Half the cars you can't buy new
    Damage is a waste of time
    But the biggest one for me is that you don't need driving skill, if you have the best car in that class, your going to win, if you don't your not gonna win
  48. Jan 24, 2011
    It's well presented and there is plenty of content to keep you busy. Graphics are amazing in some parts and horrible in others. Sense of speed and G-foreces could have been better. Engine noises are mostly accurate and beefy (provided you equip an exhaust mod)

While the career mode and tournaments feel disjointed and lack intamacy it's the core element - the actual racing and driving feels at times underdone and somewhat lifeless. Especially compared to games like Forza which feel a bit more exciting. If there were no cars to collect and no upgrades to spend credits on it would likely become quite boring. In saying that there is great satisfaction in getting into a nice rythm and shaving time off your laps with good driving and tuning. An inconsistant racing experience in the end but still a worthwhile one.
  49. Apr 24, 2011
    I write this review as a 360 & PS3 owner,So i've played all the Gran Turismo,& all the Forza games.I have to say,on the whole,I've enjoyed all the titles of both franchises quite alot.Both have ideas that should be in the other game though.But as a GT5 review,i'm going to focus on that game.The best word i could use to describe this game,would be 'Inconsistent'.By that i mean theres timesI write this review as a 360 & PS3 owner,So i've played all the Gran Turismo,& all the Forza games.I have to say,on the whole,I've enjoyed all the titles of both franchises quite alot.Both have ideas that should be in the other game though.But as a GT5 review,i'm going to focus on that game.The best word i could use to describe this game,would be 'Inconsistent'.By that i mean theres times its exciting,times its a bit dull,times the physics are good & feels like it plays really well & times it all feels dated.theres times the graphics are stunning for a racing game,& times they look almost like a last gen game.. I dont think i've EVER in all my years of gaming played such an inconsistent game .Again,the Premuim cars look beautiful,but the other cars look quite messy by camparison,& dont offer **** view(something i personally like to use).I understand they're converting more cars to premium cars,but at the expense of precious Hard Drive Space.With the time it took to make this game,& the space available on a Blu Ray,& as an exclusive,not being tied down with compromises,it should've had many more premium cars on the disk itself.The game itself does play very well,but there are flaws elswhere with the game.. Tuning seems to have been toned down ALOT.Theres so much you cant do now,that you could do in previous titles.Also there isnt a great deal of choice when it comes to events to race in(I end up looking for races that allow me to race the cars i want to race,& there just arnt many to race them in),forcing you to race cars you really dont want to,just to progress.. There should've been many,many more events available,but there just isnt.. Its very limiting.. The Multiplayer is pretty good,in the fact that it simply has it,& racing is fun,but its very hard to sat up balanced races,with the cars not having a 'performance index'(a rating of total performance)as the Forza games have,putting them into very specific classes.Instead your struggling to get races that work,& give people a decent choice of cars at the same time.Setting up races is awquard too,as you cant set up your race,rles,restrictions etc 'before' opening your lobby.you can only do it after you open it,making everyone wait while you do it all,frustrating them,& making them quit the lobby in bordom while nothings happening for them.Maybe this can be fixed,as maybe the absence of a performance index,we'll have to see.Another positive thing i can say about the game though,is the way it lets you use a custom playlist off your Hard Drive.Even allowing you to randomise the songs,which is more of a big deal than it sounds.Its a shame Forza doesnt offer this..But one thing Forza does offer,is the ability to have CPU controlled cars in split screen races.even allowing you to make teams,but all that GT5 offers,is a rather dull 'Player 1 Vs Player 2'.REALLY? in this day & age?.. Ah well.. Overall,Its a game worth getting if you like circuit racing games like this,but it does have its flaws,which as i said,you wouldn't expect from a game this long in the making.. Expand
  50. Jun 13, 2013
    Few would deny that Gran Turismo 5 provides as accurate a simulation of driving as any game available on consoles but it’s just not particularly fun to play. Having not played any of the games in the series since Gran Turismo 2 on the PSone it was disappointing to see that very little has changed. Of course the graphics are vastly superior but there is still no vehicle damage, theFew would deny that Gran Turismo 5 provides as accurate a simulation of driving as any game available on consoles but it’s just not particularly fun to play. Having not played any of the games in the series since Gran Turismo 2 on the PSone it was disappointing to see that very little has changed. Of course the graphics are vastly superior but there is still no vehicle damage, the customization options are woeful compared to Forza Motorsport 4 and the license tests are almost identical.

I'm sure there will be some driving game enthusiasts that will sink hour after hour into GT5 but if you’re after something that's a little more enjoyable there are better options available to you.
  51. Jun 14, 2011
    I'd say Gran Turismo 5 is a decent game. This game is not for everybody. Some of the cars looks nice and the interior is just amazing. I enjoyed the game as much as I could but of course, when there are pros, there are cons. They mentioned 1000 cars which honestly got me excited, but based on experience... they do have 1000 cars... but probably 100-200 cars are only made for ps3, the otherI'd say Gran Turismo 5 is a decent game. This game is not for everybody. Some of the cars looks nice and the interior is just amazing. I enjoyed the game as much as I could but of course, when there are pros, there are cons. They mentioned 1000 cars which honestly got me excited, but based on experience... they do have 1000 cars... but probably 100-200 cars are only made for ps3, the other 800 looks like they were ported from the ps2 game. Not all cars can be bought in the dealership instead, most of the cars can be randomly seen in the used dealership. You need to wait one in-game day for new cars to show up in the used dealership. I tried online and i cant barely go back for the second time. I didn't find the online user interface ( user interface in general for the whole game) to be friendly. So much options are crammed into the screen and it's such a big game that loading times were still long even if i installed the game.

The AI of this game is really dumb. I got through the game without any problem. This game is so easy for new and specially advance players.

All in all, this game plays well, but it is a disappointment for me. They could have done it better and hopefully Gran Turismo 6 will be what Gran Turismo 5 should have been.
  52. Jul 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very good game to play, and the attention to detail is stunning (but it's not perfect). It is almost a perfect simulator if you want to get as close to the real thing as possible. But one thing that disappoints me (and, I'm sure others) is how the 800 of those 1,000 cars are standard cars (standard cars do not have interiors that can be viewed while driving, and the attention to detail isn't entirely there). It also bothers me how some of today's cars (the Bugatti Veyron, shockingly) are the standard cars. Also, most of those 800 cars were ripped straight out of GT4. Very lazy, and downright disappointing for five years in the works. The AI is also quite laughable. If you are all racing a Ferrari F10, it's not a challenge at all. It's almost UN-realistic racing against them. I can pull off a Lewis Hamilton on them better than Lewis HIMSELF can. Expand
  53. Aug 9, 2011
    Gran Turismo 5 just isn't what it needs to be considering its time in development. Right when you start the game up it gives you option of installing it to hard drive or to just play. Fight the urge to just play. This shouldn't even be an option. With the game installed on the hard drive the loading times are still atrocious. Loading from just one menu to the next can be upwards of 45Gran Turismo 5 just isn't what it needs to be considering its time in development. Right when you start the game up it gives you option of installing it to hard drive or to just play. Fight the urge to just play. This shouldn't even be an option. With the game installed on the hard drive the loading times are still atrocious. Loading from just one menu to the next can be upwards of 45 seconds. And the menu design itself is horrendous. When you finally get to the driving it is as good as you'd expect from a Gran Turismo game. So it has that going for it, which is the most important part. I can't say it makes up for its flaws though. The AI is depressingly bad. You can sit at a dead stop in the middle of a straight away and the AI will run right into you. Graphically the game is both good and bad. The Premium cars are really stunning, but there are very few of them. And the ones that are premium seems arbitrarily chosen. You have cars like the Volkswagon Schwimmwagon which is premium, but a car like the Veyron isn't. I'll never understand that. The sound in the game is another gripe. The cars really sound uninspired as well. The game is a good racer, but really leaves a lot to be desired in virtually every other area. Expand
  54. Aug 25, 2011
    I would have given a 10 as the game play is superb. Steering wheel/pedals is a must! The loading times and menu layout is horrible. In all honesty if i were to play for 5 hours and in that time i wanted to play online as well as tournaments, licenses etc i would probably get about 3.5 hrs of game play the rest of the time I'm sitting around waiting for it to load and wasting many minutesI would have given a 10 as the game play is superb. Steering wheel/pedals is a must! The loading times and menu layout is horrible. In all honesty if i were to play for 5 hours and in that time i wanted to play online as well as tournaments, licenses etc i would probably get about 3.5 hrs of game play the rest of the time I'm sitting around waiting for it to load and wasting many minutes navigating the menu screens which could have been set out better to save time. Very bad development there - seems as though the game developers are trying to make life difficult. I will also point out that maintenance of your cars cost too many credits, and once you have repaired damages - you have have to spend the same amount of credits after the next race. This game needs a massive investment of your time - and at the end of the day its just a game! i would rather spend that time Go karting in real life! not in my bedroom!!. You wouldn't be able to enjoy this game playing it part time its more like a full time job. Expand
  55. Nov 23, 2011
    Realistic graphics with a giant selection of cars, a drawback being that even at such a large selection, it still felt lacking (how many EVOs are there again???). The racing is fairly intuitive and the track selection is amazing, but it still feels like something is missing. They developed for so long that my expectation was through the roof and even though I thoroughly enjoyed it, itRealistic graphics with a giant selection of cars, a drawback being that even at such a large selection, it still felt lacking (how many EVOs are there again???). The racing is fairly intuitive and the track selection is amazing, but it still feels like something is missing. They developed for so long that my expectation was through the roof and even though I thoroughly enjoyed it, it feels as though not enough innovation was done to make this truly feel like a new game, rather than an upgraded one. By no means is this a bad game and for anyone new to the series, well, prepare to be immersed in quite a learning curve, but at the same time for any fan of the series, I think we can all agree that there was a special piece of innovation missing from Polyphony this time around. Expand
  56. Mar 13, 2012
    Years of development, a record breaking budget, unprecedented amounts of hype and a vote of confidence from a World Champion F1 driver. It just couldn't have gone wrong for Gran Turismo 5, and yet it did. What happened to those realistic damage effect? Absent. The state of the art game mechanics? Absent. The thrill of the most accurate racing simulator ever created? Present, I suppose. ItsYears of development, a record breaking budget, unprecedented amounts of hype and a vote of confidence from a World Champion F1 driver. It just couldn't have gone wrong for Gran Turismo 5, and yet it did. What happened to those realistic damage effect? Absent. The state of the art game mechanics? Absent. The thrill of the most accurate racing simulator ever created? Present, I suppose. Its realistic visuals and game play don't make for an enjoyable game. Its enthusiasm for its topic is admirable, but as a game Gran Turismo is just a very expensive encyclopaedia with a very good simulator tacked on to demonstrate the topic of choice. Then there was the menus, great god in heave the menus, that would navigate at snail pace and demand most of your play time. I'm going to stop here, I've made my point already. Gran Turismo is not nearly as great as I hoped it to be, but at least the car nuts among us will love it. Expand
  57. Apr 4, 2012
    Initiated in 2008 with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, the turn of Gran Turismo HD appropriately ends with a somewhat chaotic GT5 ultimately disappointing in many respects, proof that Polyphony Digital has not really been able to challenge. Through its stuck in another age (AI fails, the management of damage to existing sentence, the bumps) and sealed by a few aberrations (Premium and StandardInitiated in 2008 with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, the turn of Gran Turismo HD appropriately ends with a somewhat chaotic GT5 ultimately disappointing in many respects, proof that Polyphony Digital has not really been able to challenge. Through its stuck in another age (AI fails, the management of damage to existing sentence, the bumps) and sealed by a few aberrations (Premium and Standard models in mind), the saga of Kazunori Yamauchi barely even sometimes regain its former levels with some graphics and a patchy solo career certainly dense and varied, but not as gargantuan as before. Poorly integrated, the multiplayer will not change much, not to mention the B-Spec and the track editor. Expand
  58. May 5, 2012
    I have fond memories of playing the previous GT titles but this one was the first to disappoint. I game generally takes 3 years to develop unless it is an annual sports title, and for this title, which began as a tech demo at E3 in 2005, took 5yrs to release with prologue titles released to the public somewhere in between. 5yrs of development and focus on giving players the largest garageI have fond memories of playing the previous GT titles but this one was the first to disappoint. I game generally takes 3 years to develop unless it is an annual sports title, and for this title, which began as a tech demo at E3 in 2005, took 5yrs to release with prologue titles released to the public somewhere in between. 5yrs of development and focus on giving players the largest garage possible brought hopes to everyone that it was going to be a very well polished game. But trying to fit over 1000 cars, with the same level of detail, seemed to feel a bit challenging; and it was. To compensate time and money Polyphony did something I was not expecting in this current generation of video gaming. They ported cars from the PS2 title, GT4, into their new PS3 title, GT5. Not only that, but they only "polished" up about 200-250 cars they labeled as "premium." Premium cars had higher levels of detail and offered in-car features such as fully functioning interiors specific to make and model. The other 800 or so cars did not have interior view options and had lower quality graphics and poor shading (i.e. shadow quality) and poor light reflection on the glass. To top it all off, polyphony is not ashamed to praise the japanese automotive industry and, once again, offer about 1/4 of their line-up to the JDM makers. A flaw to this, as you could guess, is that several premium cars are in fact duplicates of each other. But anyone who has played the GT series knows that it is just something to deal with because this is a japanese game that gives tribute to the automobile and what better way than to give toast to your native car. My personal issue with this individual GT title is the lack of customization. GT4 offered some interesting features to this by adding in nitrous and spoilers. GT5 tries to enhance these features by offering some minor body mods but they're limited. Microsoft's Turn10 studio has been producing the xbox equivalent, Forza Motorsports, for several years now and they are up to their 4th title. Since the very begining they have offered players a feature that still to this day GT does not have, painting. Because of this feature Forza's 600-800 car garage turns into about 4,000, while GT5 is limited to it's stock 1000+. however, I will praise polyphony for continuing to make "LM" versions of various cars (which some can now be found in DLC). If body was not the only issue it is the sound. If there are two things about cars that make this so addictive it is the look and the sound. So is so important to a car junkie and this game, once again, fails as it. But that is an understandable draw back when you, as I mentioned before, try to fit 1000+ cars into a game. I cannot even begin to describe the horror that my ears are forced to listen too when playing around with some of the cars. There is no excuse to this level of failure anymore. In the end the game is still a solid racing sim, but no matter how beautiful it looks on the outside, or how flawed it sounds when the cars come roaring passed the replay camera, it is still the same game I have been playing since 1999. Fanboys will hate me for this review but remember, I was one too. GT4 used to fill up my afternoon time after school every day and the hopes of a GT5 was all I cared about. Forza 2 & 3 were my "fix" until its release. But that has all changed now and I cannot see myself going back to the GT series unless they fix what they have always tried to deliver... perfection. Expand
  59. Aug 22, 2012
    This game is hype over hype. The graphics are good with the correct gars, driving is good, with the correct cars, but those correct cars are to few near to the 1.000 models, there are just about 100 that have quality, the rest is just like, white papers in the middle off a report so it would look bigger. Sound is abysmal. They said they worked on this game 6 years, I can not see this to beThis game is hype over hype. The graphics are good with the correct gars, driving is good, with the correct cars, but those correct cars are to few near to the 1.000 models, there are just about 100 that have quality, the rest is just like, white papers in the middle off a report so it would look bigger. Sound is abysmal. They said they worked on this game 6 years, I can not see this to be true, this game was made in less than 2 years for sure. Expand
  60. Dec 5, 2013
    this game is not bad but it becomes a bit boring there issn't really much fun in it either just racing winning buying cars and that's it
    well lucky for the online lobby there is something fun to do you can play with other drivers and do what you want really drag races cops and robers but when that are all things that the gamers have made none of the polyphony studio has done that and if you look at the game it's just a waste of time afterwards i mean racing 24 hours for a single race come one that's just b**sh**t and then not even winning that's frustrating
    sure it's realistic but even then i mean game's aren't ment to be a part of your live the time you stick in this game is imense and the game itzelf is actualy a boring
  61. Jan 20, 2013
    Its a very good game hindered by far too many flaws. The divide between premium and standard cars is a letdown, along with the shoddy damage physics. For a game that was in development for so long, it often seems half-finished. But if you get past all of its drawbacks, you'll find a game with a very good car list (aside from the amount of nissans) Driving physics that are great once youIts a very good game hindered by far too many flaws. The divide between premium and standard cars is a letdown, along with the shoddy damage physics. For a game that was in development for so long, it often seems half-finished. But if you get past all of its drawbacks, you'll find a game with a very good car list (aside from the amount of nissans) Driving physics that are great once you get past a steep learning curve, and a sense of class that is virtually nonexistent in almost all other video games, including main rival Forza Motorsport. If you can get past its many issues, and its emphasis on "simulator" over "game," its a very enjoyable product, but keep in mind that dealing with its flaws takes effort, unless you're a die-hard GT fan. Expand
  62. Feb 26, 2013
    7 out of 10, I was expecting so much from this game. There's something missing here, I can't quite put my finger on it. But it's like the developer is making us play the game HE wants to play and not the game, we all want..... (cough Forza) I don't own an Xbox, but I know what Forza is about. Now if those two games could get together and have a baby, I think it would be what we are all7 out of 10, I was expecting so much from this game. There's something missing here, I can't quite put my finger on it. But it's like the developer is making us play the game HE wants to play and not the game, we all want..... (cough Forza) I don't own an Xbox, but I know what Forza is about. Now if those two games could get together and have a baby, I think it would be what we are all looking for. Lots of cars, great graphics, but the tuning seems so simplified, the customization is totally lacking, the races are boring, it all seems to be a bit of a grind. I am hoping GT6 and GT7 will be much better. Or a new series comes along to take the PS3 racing crown. Expand
  63. Mar 6, 2013
    I`m playing it in 2013, that may be why I feel so disappointed. Honestly I can`t find anything different from the old ones, the mistake are all there. It`s a good gameplay, great graphics, but they could evolve, and the didn`t. I was hoping for new challenges, new ways to get the cars, and nothing. It`s the good old GT, nothing else.
  64. May 22, 2013
    After being a huge fan of GT4 I was excited for this when I first got it. However after playing for about two hours I realised that I was becoming more and more bored with the game. I don't even know what exactly made it boring, it was just not as good as the previous installments. The one saving grace is the graphical quality of GT5, especially if your PS3 is set up in 720p. OverallAfter being a huge fan of GT4 I was excited for this when I first got it. However after playing for about two hours I realised that I was becoming more and more bored with the game. I don't even know what exactly made it boring, it was just not as good as the previous installments. The one saving grace is the graphical quality of GT5, especially if your PS3 is set up in 720p. Overall though, GT5 just seems so boring compared to the others in the series. Expand
  65. Jul 27, 2013
    Let me start by saying that the Gran Turismo series is my favorite gaming franchise of all time. I absolutely love these games, so it does pain me to give this a 6/10--but I think this title truly deserves it.
    The actual driving aspect gets a whole-hearted 10/10. It's the best, most realistic racing experience you can find in the virtual world (even if an aggressive driver can squash the AI with little difficulty). However, three things make this the worst title in the series in my opinion.
    1. The game is short; there are a very limited number of actual races in career mode, and a distinct lacking in races against actual race cars. The developers seemed to notice this, and if you connect online, you can participate in numerous "seasonal events", which are essentially additional career races with tight restrictions and huge payouts. You can technically double the number of races with the new B-Spec mode, but that just involves coaching a moronic AI through the same races you've already completed.
    2. The level system. This game introduces a driver level that actually means something (unlike the one in GT4). You cannot drive or purchase a car above your level. This initially seemed like a decent idea to me, since the learning curve on this game is relatively high, forcing novices to drive slow cars for a while to learn the ropes isn't a bad thing. The problem arises when the levels increase slower than your progress in the game, and you can't buy the cars you need for the races. The other downside (as in my case) involves people who come into the game with a considerable skill level and are reduced to driving 1990's Japanese compacts for a few hours to level up.
    3. The developers were lazy. The Gran Turismo series is also known for being the prettiest racing game available, not just the most realistic. But in this title, many car models were reused from previous releases with little to no graphical upgrading. It seems like only the cars making their debut in GT5 are rendered fresh for the PS3. This means that nearly every car returning from GT3 and GT4 has a car model with PS2 quality graphics. Frankly, this is unacceptable given the amount of time this game was in development.
    Of course, there are lots of positives to this game (it finally has a decent online community), but as a lover of the franchise, all I really saw was how much this game paled in comparison to its predecessors. It's still worth buying, because no other game offers quite the same experience. Just don't expect it to be as breathtaking or engaging as it should be..
  66. Dec 8, 2013
    Gran Turismo 5 is a game that tries to do too much and in the process doesn't really do anything well.

Terrible menu navigation, long loading times, unnecessarily grinding career progression, fugly and awkward to obtain standard models, vacuum cleaner car sounds, no damage...the list seriously does go on. However, when the game gets it right, for example a premium modelled car on the

However, when the game gets it right, for example a premium modelled car on the Nurburgring in the rain with changing time the game is LIGHTYEARS ahead of anything out there. The only problem is that the best of Gran Turismo 5 does not come together often enough to make this game what it could be which is a shame.
  67. Jan 27, 2014
    Gt 5 follows the scheme the others gt, that is to say you play racing and game credits, with this credits you can buy other cars. The game have good graphics (but with serious errors like the cars no premiums), the gameplay is very good and every car have a behavior different, in the other hand b-aspect mode is boring and adds nothing to the game, the racing in general are boring becauseGt 5 follows the scheme the others gt, that is to say you play racing and game credits, with this credits you can buy other cars. The game have good graphics (but with serious errors like the cars no premiums), the gameplay is very good and every car have a behavior different, in the other hand b-aspect mode is boring and adds nothing to the game, the racing in general are boring because always wins with have a more powerful car, the damage in cars only are available in high levels. Gt should think in make a more direct game for the next gt. Expand
  68. Nov 20, 2014
    After many years of anticipation and patience, Gran Turismo 5 isn't the game it potentially could've been. Although the amount of content is incredible, the majority of this content is plagued by cars from the previous series back on the Playstation 2 console. In fact, some of the game looks very similar to the last generation. The game has improved much since its release through patches,After many years of anticipation and patience, Gran Turismo 5 isn't the game it potentially could've been. Although the amount of content is incredible, the majority of this content is plagued by cars from the previous series back on the Playstation 2 console. In fact, some of the game looks very similar to the last generation. The game has improved much since its release through patches, but after numerous delays, Polyphony Digital have produced a good racing game which could have offered much more from their capabilities Expand

1. Feb 18, 2011
    We love Gran Turismo dearly but it isn't the game we hoped it would be. [Feb 2011, p.72]
  2. An unusually complex driving game that demands real dedication and only fully reveals its true power once you've put the mileage in. [Jan 2011, p.108]
  3. Feb 7, 2011
    GT5 is pretty much exactly what everybody expected it to be. Overhyped maybe because of the unprecedented delay in its release, but spot on with its goals.