7.5

1. May 12, 2011
    What happened?!? How did this go so wrong??? I was so unbelievably excited about this game, and I thought for the first 5 minutes that it would be as great as I had always hoped... and then it just wasn't. I can't particularly put my finger on an exact reason why... I'm going to blame GTA san andreas, which just set my hopes so high. Sure GTAIV has a great story line, interestingWhat happened?!? How did this go so wrong??? I was so unbelievably excited about this game, and I thought for the first 5 minutes that it would be as great as I had always hoped... and then it just wasn't. I can't particularly put my finger on an exact reason why... I'm going to blame GTA san andreas, which just set my hopes so high. Sure GTAIV has a great story line, interesting characters (If a little stereotypical and annoying) and sometimes fun gameplay... but I've seen it all before and I didn't get sucked into the world in the same way I have in previous iterations. No customisation, a bland city with such a small amount of variety....... How did it go downhill so much from SA??? Overall I think this is a fun game, but one of the most over-rated of all time. Expand
  2. Oct 2, 2010
    After playing GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas it was hard to imagine being swept away again by another GTA game but man does this game deliver. The story, the characters, the setting and the game world are so well crafted and put together it's nice to see some developers still take time to prepare their works and not just milk a franchise with yearly releases.
  3. SamL.
    Aug 12, 2008
    Over hyped. A plain game pagued with framerate issues and bad gore effects. Ohh.
  4. Haroldoldman
    Oct 17, 2008
    If you enjoyed previous GTAs, avoid this game at all costs. Its the complete OPPOSITE of previous GTAs, good graphics, boring storyline, dull characters, no variety in the gameplay,ect.

I am extremely dissapointed with rockstar, the only reason it scored so high with the critics was because it happened to be the first next-gen sandbox game on the market, GTA4 has failed miserably.
  5. ENOUGH!!
    Jan 16, 2009
    It's GTA with shiny new graphics, hilarious ragdoll physics (Crash your car at sixty miles per hour on the free way towards oncoming traffic; priceless), and a gripping new storyline filled with the usual GTA nutjobs and ingenious voice acting. That, and the radio stations are as sarcastic and satirical as ever. Go buy it; it has tons of mileage for your money.
  6. May 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GAMEPLAY:

Grand Theft Auto is renowned for having a sandbox, complete with a plethora of distractions like socializing and dating, going to clubs, bars, strip-clubs and just having a good time in game. You will definitely find a hard time getting bored in Liberty City, which is a whole different story. The city itself is huge, and at any glance no matter what burrow looks like Rockstar’s imagining of NYC but in their own GTA world.
    Combat at first glance may seem to be tricky but eventually you will get a handle on the combat system. The melee system consists of several different attacks that when used in different combinations can prove to be effective against the opponent. Gunfights can be a little boring but when in a large skirmish with the cops or online against waves of enemies will make lasting memories.

Perhaps the finest points of combat in the game though is in the cars. There is nothing in the game that compares to doing a drive-by shooting or firing at the cops during a high-speed chase. Vehicular combat was fine-tuned perfectly that allows the player(s) to engage in awesome shoot outs on the road, no matter what the vehicle is... from a moped to an armored truck.
    Driving is easy, with basic controls for ALL vehicles though it may be hard to grasp the comfort of driving boats and aircraft. Perhaps the hardest vehicle to drive though are the motorcycles, they have a very high speed, horrible handling, and will pretty much launch you if you hit ANYTHING at a high velocity. Just another taste of reality but don’t expect to be a pro motorcyclist or pilot right off.

SOUND/MUSIC:

The game’s radio soundtrack is very unique and a lot of the songs fit well in not just the game but the story. Players can choose from an array of music like rock, hip-hop, rap, techno, and even talk shows. The citizens of liberty city all have very different personalities, and voices, Rockstar did a good job making the non-essential NPC’s seem unique.
    Other than the radio stations in the cars in the game, the game doesn’t have an “epic score” or an everlasting soundtrack that will have you streaming the web to listen to. But overall the sound quality of the guns, the people, the cars, and even the ambience really polish this game up and show how Rockstar games tried to make this game as realistic as possible.

STORY:
    You play as Niko Bellic an eastern-european (it is never really made clear where Nikos is from) who just moved from his homeland to Liberty City. The game takes off with you joining your cousin Roman who has made himself a nice little taxi business that he calls the beginning of the “american dream”. Over the course of the game Niko has to fight bikers, russians, gangsters, and cops... when suddenly his past catches up with him.
    The plot spans from Niko going “from the streets of Liberty City to the skyline of wealth”. As the player helps different factions and crime lords, Niko himself finds out that America is no different than the very war and the troubling past he has suffered.

ENGINE:

Grand Theft Auto 4’s engine isn’t special by “today’s standards”. There are few bugs, but even the ones in game can turn out to be quite funny or amusing. Online gameplay is really great, and unique. Until Grand Theft Auto 5 comes out, Grand Theft Auto 4’s engine alongside Red Dead Redemption HAVE TO BE Rockstar’s finest works.
  7. Jul 27, 2013
    +first few missions are fun +its fun to drive, even with the horrible vehiclecontrol -Horrible Vehiclecontrol -Horrible Shootingmechanics -Bad graphics, even for 2008 -Boring Story -Only Hacker/Cheater in Multiplayer -Multiplayer is very bad designed. You need like 10 minutes to get in a game -Bad Police/Crimesystem: Police will come after you, even if they never saw you doing the crime+first few missions are fun +its fun to drive, even with the horrible vehiclecontrol -Horrible Vehiclecontrol -Horrible Shootingmechanics -Bad graphics, even for 2008 -Boring Story -Only Hacker/Cheater in Multiplayer -Multiplayer is very bad designed. You need like 10 minutes to get in a game -Bad Police/Crimesystem: Police will come after you, even if they never saw you doing the crime
    -No other environment than the City.

Sorry, but 98 is just ridicolous. Im a huge GTA fan, but this GTA is not good in my opinion
  8. mikes
    Apr 25, 2009
    I'm seeing a lot of dumb comments about people claiming to know "the truth" about gta4...because obviously this is just some big conspiracy by all the game reviewers to trick you into buying a bad game! no, artards gta4 is a great game and you are just incapable of seeing it. even worse though is your attitude that the reviews, all 64 reviews from different magazines websites and I'm seeing a lot of dumb comments about people claiming to know "the truth" about gta4...because obviously this is just some big conspiracy by all the game reviewers to trick you into buying a bad game! no, artards gta4 is a great game and you are just incapable of seeing it. even worse though is your attitude that the reviews, all 64 reviews from different magazines websites and newspapers, are somehow rigged. Maybe they all got together and thought as a laugh they would give gta4 great ratings to trick you into buying it. idiots, this game got great ratings cause it deserved it. GTA4 is an amazing game, don't listen to those noobs who downrated it cause they sucked to hard to beat the campaign. Expand
  9. E.K.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Huge interactive world, with tons of content. Superb audio, but not so great looking (on a HD screen). A pitty the story line and atmosphere is such a negative, no even depressing experience.
  10. JoelS.
    Apr 30, 2008
    The game is amazing...Initially I was just playing it story wise until my friend got over to my place. He just likes jacking cars and running down people and getting into fights with the police. Did find some cool stuff out about the game from the three hours he did that. Cars take realistic damage when you hit things. When I say realistic I mean it and it is specific to the area hit. Not The game is amazing...Initially I was just playing it story wise until my friend got over to my place. He just likes jacking cars and running down people and getting into fights with the police. Did find some cool stuff out about the game from the three hours he did that. Cars take realistic damage when you hit things. When I say realistic I mean it and it is specific to the area hit. Not just something that says "you got into an accident and the front end of the car was damaged so lets make the front end damaged." I mean more like if you hit a stationary post it will crease the car right where you hit it. Another cool thing is bullet holes stay where bullet holes are made and say you are driving the car and get shot, there will be a blood splatter pattern made on the inside of the windshield. The city is more "alive" than any other game I have ever played. More people walking the streets. More people having random conversations. Once my friend took off finally at 10 I got a good three hours of story mode in. Cinematics and voice acting are top notch. Story keeps you wanting to play the missions. There's only been one downside to the game and I've only experienced it when driving around killing people and running from the cops. Every so often you will get the game to "hang" for a few seconds. I don't know if it is a loading issue or a too many artifacts on the screen and the processor is having a hard time keeping up issue. I do know from what I have heard that the PS3 version of the game runs a lot smoother than the XBox 360 version. Apparently that version has frame rate drops and the whole nine yards. This was noted by video game magazine and online site reviews by actual reviewers and not just fanboys of the PS3. Might be the reason that Microsoft spent 50 some odd million getting it so the 360 version was the only one with downloadable content for a year or so...I'm sure eventually the downloadable content will reach the PS3 version. There was a rumor started by who I am guessing is a PS3 fanboy that said something different though. That the only reason the 360 version had downloadable content was because they couldn't fit all of the game onto one disc like they could for the PS3 thanks to the blu-ray discs having more storage space. Like I said though, probably started by some fanboy for the PS3...Seems like there are always going to be people that choose one system over the other. If I had the extra money laying around I'd probably pick up a 360 but I have better things to put my money towards. Oh, forgot to mention that one of the new features with Grand Theft Auto 4 that I don't really care for is the GPS in the game. Kinda takes away the fun when all you have to do is go to the map and place a marker where you want to go and and all you have to do after that is follow the green line on the little circular map on the screen to get to your destination. I do like the addition of the cell phone except for the fact that you will sometimes pop it up when you're trying to switch weapons but I am guessing that will go away once I learn all of the functions of the controller and where everything is located. And just like with the other Grand Theft Auto games you can only access certain areas and if you try to go over a bridge that takes you to a new part of the city you will come across a line of cop cars and cops with their guns pulled ready to fire on you. They at least gave it a better reason why this time around. They went with the more recent war on terror aspect. Something we all know. The area is blocked thanks to a terror alert. They did incorporate the six axis controller into the game fairly effectively but frustratingly as well. Using the six axis to reload weapons, drive motorcycles, drive boats...That's all good and dandy but just wait until you try controlling a helicopter with the six axis controller. Talk about a pain in the behind. After playing the game for awhile you unlock the Six Axis Tutorial which you can access from your cell phone. I tried it like four or five times and when it gets to the point where you're supposed to land the helicopter I fail miserably. I'm sure with a few more tries I'll be able to get it down but if you want to try it out you better have a steady hand. I'm going to be stubborn with this one as well and keep the six axis ability turned on. Of course you can do all the things the six axis does using just the analog sticks but I want to get the six axis function down better so it helps in other games. Overall I would like to be able to give this game a 10 because it's as close to perfection as they come but thanks to the game freezing a few times (it does recover after a few seconds) I can only give it a 9. Graphics = 10 Gameplay = 9 Sound = 10 Cinematics = 10 Over-all fun factor = 10. Expand
  11. Rol
    May 4, 2008
    Great story but overall given the reviews it doesn't live up to the hype. Too many small flaws and the graphics are just quite good. Loads of technical issues. And the missions (they do get much better) are very familiar if you played GTA3 before. Good game but really nowhere near as good as people make out.
  12. ThomasH.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Nice game with a lot of opportunities. but, but, but.... it got framrate drops, and the graphics are not amazing. Then 10/10 can´t e reached, but 9/10 is also a high rating.
  13. TheMan
    Jun 26, 2009
    The best game game of all time, missions are a blast, the story is extremely confounding and the characters bring a strong sense of nostalgia towards the gaming Industry. It really is hard to believe that gta is over 10 years old and this game sets the gold standard for any competitor willing to follow.
  14. RhienS.
    Dec 5, 2008
    An amazing game, and despite all theese users going against the grain, its a must buy! It utilises the power of all the next gen consoles and looks fantastic graphic wise. The gameplay it self is like being kissed by an angel, and in that i mean there is nothing bad about it (other than a few frame rate issues). The gameplay mechanics are amazing, it has a fantastic storyline and is by An amazing game, and despite all theese users going against the grain, its a must buy! It utilises the power of all the next gen consoles and looks fantastic graphic wise. The gameplay it self is like being kissed by an angel, and in that i mean there is nothing bad about it (other than a few frame rate issues). The gameplay mechanics are amazing, it has a fantastic storyline and is by far hands down the best game i have played on a next gen console. I would suggest you listen to the critics, and go out and buy this game. Expand
  15. Nov 10, 2010
    This game is the most overrated ever, the gun sounds sound fake, they swear all the time, the game seems a bit goofy, you can hardly enter any buildings and there just isnt much to do. What a bore
  16. Jul 19, 2011
    This game is one of the best sandbox games ever. Not the best, but one of the best. Grand Theft Auto IV is fun. Just fun. Pure fun. Though sometimes you may get bored, there still is a billion things to do. The city is so alive and the graphics are great, the car damage is one of the best in any sandbox video game. The handling of the cars, I admit, is not so great. They're just so hard toThis game is one of the best sandbox games ever. Not the best, but one of the best. Grand Theft Auto IV is fun. Just fun. Pure fun. Though sometimes you may get bored, there still is a billion things to do. The city is so alive and the graphics are great, the car damage is one of the best in any sandbox video game. The handling of the cars, I admit, is not so great. They're just so hard to control, they sway left and right and it sometimes it's incredibly frustrating. The other vehicles besides motorbikes are fine, the main problem is the cars and bikes. The characters and kooky and the is a lot of vulgar language but the story and characters are very interesting. The game is flawed, it isn't perfect but there is tonnes of fun to be had in Liberty City. Expand
  17. Nov 27, 2011
    Despite its reputation as a controversial yet excellent game, this game has a good and a bad side. The good side of GTA IV is: (1) the improved graphics from the previous GTA games, (2) its addition of realism, (3) the goofy yet awkward reactions from Liberty City people and the LCPD, (4) The rampages and massacres in LC add the fun to the game, (5) GTA IV has a story with multiple endingsDespite its reputation as a controversial yet excellent game, this game has a good and a bad side. The good side of GTA IV is: (1) the improved graphics from the previous GTA games, (2) its addition of realism, (3) the goofy yet awkward reactions from Liberty City people and the LCPD, (4) The rampages and massacres in LC add the fun to the game, (5) GTA IV has a story with multiple endings and plot twists, and (6), Playing as an immigrant from Yugoslavia is quite unique in the GTA games. However, there is a bad side to GTA IV, and they are: (1) Less weapons unlike in San Andreas, (2) Less appealing automobiles and more mediocre cars, (3) The friend system with the cell phone can get annoying at times, especially when friends abruptly call you while you are still busy orchestrating an epic massacre in LC, (4) Survivng and escaping feuds against police is too easy when compared to previous GTA games, (5) Less accessible buildings than what players had expected, (6) the camera focusing on the player can get awkward sometimes, and (7), the most important drawback to GTA IV is that the campaign missions are repetitive and can get boring as you play the campaign again. This is evidenced by lack of mission uniqueness and missions virtually involve driving to the specific place then kill person A. Despite the drawbacks of the game, I still find GTA IV as fun and decent unlike the previous GTA games. Expand
  18. Oct 13, 2012
    GTA IV is more than a game. It's an experience that goes way beyond button bashing your controller. The story is magnificent but no surprises here. Everyone knows that Rockstar usually nails in this department. Technically the game is flawless for the common gamer (if there's any glitch didn't see it). Not a fan of the Multiplayer though. Other than this GTA IV will remain in gamersGTA IV is more than a game. It's an experience that goes way beyond button bashing your controller. The story is magnificent but no surprises here. Everyone knows that Rockstar usually nails in this department. Technically the game is flawless for the common gamer (if there's any glitch didn't see it). Not a fan of the Multiplayer though. Other than this GTA IV will remain in gamers memory as a reference and it will be benchmarked by everyone. Expand
  19. May 4, 2013
    An average story, with actually not that good characters, the graphics are decent, the gameplay is good with a lot of guns and the normal stuff on a GTA game but unfortunately not much else. It's average GTA game, not the best but not the worst either.
  20. Jul 13, 2013
    It's a great game overall. Maybe it's a little bit too realistic. I wanted to see a little bit of unrealism in it. I also think that the game is overrated. Like I said, it's a great game, but previous GTA games were better in some ways. So, 8/10
  21. Aug 28, 2013
    Rockstar has been making the exact same game ever since GTA3 came out on PS2. Why are people acting like GTA4 is something different? It’s not, except for two things: it’s on a new generation of consoles and is actually worse than GTA3.

First off: anyone praising the graphics is blind or has never played a video game before this one. Textures are muddled, colors are drab, environments are bland, all of which combines to make it difficult to see where you are and where you’re going.

Second: they jacked up the driving physics of the game so now it feels like everything is moving underwater. Turns that used to be simple now send you sliding into walls, which gets frustrating given the large number of slow, crappy cars you seem to be forced to drive in this game.

Third: the stale mission-structured gameplay is exactly the same as it was over 10 years ago. It’s so tedious now. You get a mission giver, you have to drive across town to start the mission, then you have to drive to your mission destination, then back to your house if you want to keep your car. Fail the mission and you have to start the commute again. They have even added in “features” like toll booths now, which create traffic on bridges that honestly make you feel like you are commuting to work because if you charge through them you get an automatic wanted rating.

Oh, and did I mention something about keeping a car you want available? Well, in this game they decided to do away with garages for some reason. You know: the places you used to be able to store vehicles. Now your various pads with have one or two parallel parking spaces out in the middle of the AI-trafficked street and if you park a car there *perfectly* it will be saved. However, if it’s a big car or if the AI traffic knocks it slightly out of place, it will be gone when you reload.

Possibly the most annoying new “feature” of this series is the dating mini-games. You can hang out with certain people to increase their affection toward you, which reaps you certain benefits, but then ALL of them CONSTANTLY call you to hang out, even if you’re in the middle of a mission getting chased by the cops, or in the middle of commuting to do your next mission, or commuting home from your last mission. Whatever. And if you tell them no, even if it’s your own cousin asking you to go bowling again, though you just went bowling with him two days ago, he will get upset and you’ll lose affection. You can’t tell them no.

Also, Liberty City is big but incredibly empty. You will not be rewarded for exploring b/c there is simply not much out there. Instead of secret packages to collect, this time around you have to kill special pigeons, which are very frustrating to find even with the help of a guide. I got to about 20 or so before I asked myself why the hell I was doing it, because I wasn’t having any fun.

Finally, the “story” I keep seeing so many positive reviews refer to is stupid & nonsensical. You’re an illegal alien who begins a career as a professional criminal as soon as you step off the boat. Not much different from any other GTA protagonist aside from not already being a US citizen, right? Except now you’re Borat. AMAZING! There IS NO story! You’re a criminal who makes friends with other criminals throughout the game and then commits criminal acts. *spoiler*

Furthermore, while there may well be 20 hours’ worth of cutscenes (which tend to go on forever) & dialogue (which also never ends during your mission commutes with NPCs), it seems like it was all written by a 10-year old boy. Penis & fart jokes, characters needlessly dropping f-bombs twice a sentence to be “edgy” (I guess), and all-around lame humor in general that makes you roll your eyes and want to skip through every cutscene you come across. Unless you are a 10-year old boy, in which case I guess you’d be in heaven. Maybe that’s the targeted demographic now?

But Rockstar will keep making the same game as long as sheep keep buying it. Anyone who wants to see what an improvement in this genre looks like, I’d direct you toward Saints Row the Third. Not the best game ever, but one that is actually, you know, “fun” to play. Something Rockstar left out of GTA4.
  22. Oct 24, 2013
    How do you morons like this game. It is gloomy and the cars make walking become fun because they suckkkkkkkk. Give this game to someone obese and they will walk to return it.
  23. Dec 22, 2012
    When I first played Gta IV I was instantly hooked. The atmosphere in the game was amazing. Missions were addictive, story was nice. there were many memorable characters and funny laughs. I rented this at first and played it for 22 hour then re-rented it and played it for 24 more hours and beat the game. This game is my 2nd favourite sandbox of all time and this game is awesome. The flaws IWhen I first played Gta IV I was instantly hooked. The atmosphere in the game was amazing. Missions were addictive, story was nice. there were many memorable characters and funny laughs. I rented this at first and played it for 22 hour then re-rented it and played it for 24 more hours and beat the game. This game is my 2nd favourite sandbox of all time and this game is awesome. The flaws I had with the game were the predictable missions. But none the less, an awesome game 9/10 Expand
  24. Mar 31, 2012
    2011:
    2011:
    I loved GTA III, Vice City was one of my favs, I felt that san andreas was losing a little from its sights, and now GTA iv. Well, the game wasn't all that engaging actually after all is said and done. Sure there are some great moments, the story and characters are very well done as always, but for me the game was almost too overwelhming. Things like having a girlfriend, checking email, going out, tended to add to much, which luckily it is all optional, but it still feels like your missing out if not doing these things. The car physics were horrid, never could drive it. I miss the old GTA, especially vice city, remember the stolen car lists, the taxi, vigilante, ect. missions. These were the side missions that i thought were good and not a distraction like in Gta iv. I didn't walk away impressed with the game.
  25. JamieC
    Apr 29, 2008
    An epic videogame, surpassed by none so far. Rockstar has created the most sophisticated and entertaining masterpiece I've ever seen or played. A truly amazing experience; every gamer (of age) should have this game. From the opening mission, the game grips with its intriguing story and unrelenting action. An instant classic.
  26. DimaK.
    Apr 28, 2008
    Simply put, best game of the last 10 years.
  27. RobD.
    Oct 1, 2009
    One of the best games available on PS3 yet I will now contradict myself by saying that this is the most disappointing game I have ever purchased. They concentrated way too hard on the "environment" and forgot about the people who play the game. Driving is now rubbish, would be OK if the brakes worked, missions are all samey totally lacking in imagination, storyline weak and One of the best games available on PS3 yet I will now contradict myself by saying that this is the most disappointing game I have ever purchased. They concentrated way too hard on the "environment" and forgot about the people who play the game. Driving is now rubbish, would be OK if the brakes worked, missions are all samey totally lacking in imagination, storyline weak and anticlimatical, characters annoying rather than funny, radio stations boring and again not funny, music all rubbish, Lazlo as a loser doesn't work, combat improved but still dodgy, keeping your friends amused gets on your nerves and finally it all takes itself far too seriously which for me is everything that Rockstar used to stand against! I will still probably buy the next one but patience is wearing thin (especially with the episodic rubbish that us PS3ers can't get). Also this game's crying out to have multiple cities using the 55Gig capacity of the PS3 to "fly" between them in aeroplanes (like we used to have in the PS2 days) but bet they cop out on that one due to inferior capacity of XBox. Bigger concern is that it's a sign of the times. Manufacturers are all playing it safe and innovation is running dry. My PS1 and PS2 collections outnumber the PS3 stuff by about 5 to 1. Where are the innovative titles like Abe's Oddysee, Incredible Crisis, MGS 1 & 2, Silent Hill 1 & 2, TR 1? The other thing I don't get is how come all of "us" can give this an honest review yet all the "professional" reviewers have been duped by this game? Expand
  28. MikeH.
    Apr 27, 2008
    I've played both versions:ps3 and xbox360. The ps3 version edges out the 360 slightly, graphically speaking but gameplay wise, both are incredible games for this generations of hardware.
  29. Jun 7, 2013
    I hate giving 0's but theres something about this game. Its playability is minimal nevermind the concept of replayability. Graphically it's a treat, that aside, it's mediocre.
  30. JamesK.
  31. [anonymous]
    Apr 27, 2008
    One of the best games I ever played. Wow.
  32. MSteinsson
    Apr 28, 2008
    Never saw a game like this before!
  33. BekhanB.
    Apr 28, 2008
    The best game ever made in the PS consoles! Perfect!
  34. MarkK.
    Apr 28, 2008
    The game itself is phenomenal at best. Possibly, the best GTA game of the next gen.
  35. SydneyK.
    Apr 29, 2008
    What else can I say that hasn't already been said. Rockstar deserves a gold star for not having disappointed its loyal fan of the series. It lives up to my expectation and a whole lot more. The plot if funny, whimsical, bizarre, and genuinely Soprano-licious. Simply stated, the game to play on both the XBOX 360 and the PS3 consoles thus far! Bravo, Rockstar.
  36. ChristianG.
    Simply, amazing.
  37. ChrisB.
    Apr 29, 2008
    I was able to get my game at a local store on Monday afternoon. My only regret is having to go to work Tuesday morning to separate me from this epic masterpiece. This game is the future for the virtual reality medium. Every game developer that tries to create a living virtual world should only hope to capture half of what Rockstar has accomplished in this game. Truly, and unbelievably, I was able to get my game at a local store on Monday afternoon. My only regret is having to go to work Tuesday morning to separate me from this epic masterpiece. This game is the future for the virtual reality medium. Every game developer that tries to create a living virtual world should only hope to capture half of what Rockstar has accomplished in this game. Truly, and unbelievably, has lived up to the massive hype that was placed upon its shoulders. 10/10 and nothing less, nothing compares to this experiece. Cannot wait to get home this afternoon ). Expand
  38. Aug 15, 2013
    One of the few PS3 games I just couldn't finish. The storyline didn't grab me at all, and the characters were as dull as dishwater. But the *real* problem I had with this game, ironically enough, is that it was TOO realistic. Travelling from one mission to the next was a time-consuming chore, and one I had to repeat way too often if I failed a mission. Then the minutia of things likeOne of the few PS3 games I just couldn't finish. The storyline didn't grab me at all, and the characters were as dull as dishwater. But the *real* problem I had with this game, ironically enough, is that it was TOO realistic. Travelling from one mission to the next was a time-consuming chore, and one I had to repeat way too often if I failed a mission. Then the minutia of things like dating had me restless. I tried, thinking that it would eventually click for me, but while the environment was technically impressive, I found that the game wasn't the kind of escapist entertainment I play video games for. I even tried the DLC to see if those picked up the pace, and I just flat wasn't having fun.

I know some folks love it, and that's great. It just wasn't the right game for me.
  39. May 27, 2013
    So, another boring turd wrapped in pretty graphics. Gone are the fun, arcady driving mechanics, replaced by cars that handle like horizontal freezers on wheels. Gone are the mini-games that provides hours of fun distractions. The fun content in previous incarnations has been replaced by a boring dating sim, and predominately boring shooting missions. The characters are flat outSo, another boring turd wrapped in pretty graphics. Gone are the fun, arcady driving mechanics, replaced by cars that handle like horizontal freezers on wheels. Gone are the mini-games that provides hours of fun distractions. The fun content in previous incarnations has been replaced by a boring dating sim, and predominately boring shooting missions. The characters are flat out obnoxious in my opinion. Tommy Vercetti was friggin' cool, Bellic is a pansy by comparison.
    It's great as a tech demo. I can't fault Rockstar for getting the detail of the city down, but it just feels there's less to do. It's a crazily detailed city, but hell you can't even Vigilante in this one.
    I hope GTA V isn't just another tech demo like this one was.
  40. Feb 7, 2014
    Despite the public opinion about violence in the GTA series, one can say this game is worthy of many praises. Firstly, it does not show a power-hungry as the protagonist, but a troubled man, disillusioned by corruption in society, despite his involvement in it. This makes the game much deeper and emotionally involving than the previous installment, GTA San Andreas. Although the designs ofDespite the public opinion about violence in the GTA series, one can say this game is worthy of many praises. Firstly, it does not show a power-hungry as the protagonist, but a troubled man, disillusioned by corruption in society, despite his involvement in it. This makes the game much deeper and emotionally involving than the previous installment, GTA San Andreas. Although the designs of the buildings and vehicles are lackluster and mundane, the personalities of the characters fill the void left by the lack of any creative design in the game. The character-driven plot of this installment is a gem among all of the other installments in the GTA series. Expand
  41. AllanM.
    Apr 28, 2008
    Quite simply,.... Rockstar have done it again. Just as they did when GTAIII first came onto the scene for the PlayStation 2 to re-invent the sandbox videogame genre, GTA 4 sets the bar up once again as to what videogame excellence is represents! From the totally believable characters, to the absolutely magnificent graphics, o the improvement to practically every single aspect of the GTA Quite simply,.... Rockstar have done it again. Just as they did when GTAIII first came onto the scene for the PlayStation 2 to re-invent the sandbox videogame genre, GTA 4 sets the bar up once again as to what videogame excellence is represents! From the totally believable characters, to the absolutely magnificent graphics, o the improvement to practically every single aspect of the GTA formula that we all love.... This is simply breathtaking entertainment! 11 out of 10!! Expand
  42. Oct 18, 2012
    The first time I played GTA was at the age of seven when GTA was released back in 1997. In my humble opinion GTA IV is a huge step forward, but in another view, a step back.

+ More mature and interesting storyline + Drastically improved driving physics and vehicle damage + A living, breathing city + Huge city - Repetitive and sometimes uninspired mission design (Go to A, shoot 10

+ More mature and interesting storyline
    + Drastically improved driving physics and vehicle damage
    + A living, breathing city
    + Huge city

- Repetitive and sometimes uninspired mission design (Go to A, shoot 10 people, go to B)
    - To much blur and an awfull blue tint
    - Lack of interesting features outside of the storyline (clubs, barbershops, car dealerships etc.)
    - Lack of safehouses

While some of these missing features was added i TBoGT many of them should have been in the game in the first place. I like the serious tone GTA IV story has, but the problem is, that outside of the story, the game often becomes repetetive and dull. There is simply not enough features; clubs, more races, drug deals, golf etc. Mission design is quite poor and the creativity (not talking about over-the-top action in TbOGT) is somehow diluted, and the game almost have the same mission design as in GTA III: Go there, kill a few people, go back.
  43. M.Caparelli
    Apr 29, 2008
    After buying this game last night, I truly agree with the critics - its the best game so far this year(and even the best PS3 game ever!). The graphics are stunning, where facial expressions are reflected. Dialogue is great, very original with classic quotes. Gameplay is very realistic - with the new cover system, it makes shooting much easier and realistic. Multiplayer I played briefly, After buying this game last night, I truly agree with the critics - its the best game so far this year(and even the best PS3 game ever!). The graphics are stunning, where facial expressions are reflected. Dialogue is great, very original with classic quotes. Gameplay is very realistic - with the new cover system, it makes shooting much easier and realistic. Multiplayer I played briefly, very addictive. Expand
  44. JamesFrank
    Apr 28, 2008
    The best game I have ever played in my life.
  45. AronS.
    Apr 29, 2008
    Wow! I can't stop playing this game I will probably call in sick tomorrow. This is my life now!
  46. Nov 9, 2011
    Overrated. I can't believe how high of score this gets, this is the worst GTA game. The world may be huge, but it's uninspired. The characters are dull. The controls are horrible. Even though you can get this for cheap, just pick up San Andreas on PS2 instead.
  47. Mark
    Jun 20, 2008
    This is game is a jump backward when compared to previous GTA games. I'm really disappointed with the repetitive missions, uninteresting relationship system, broken multiplayer and controls. Driving in this game is impossible, you always crash into something. At least it looks better than other GTA games, but glitches found in this game are unacceptable. Definitely not worth 60 dollars.
  48. Apr 6, 2013
    This game is too over rated.
    98? No... This game, as a GTA, is disappointing. And very much. This game is basic. Yeah, it may have be liked by critics because it was sandbox, but, yeah, nothing more. It has a good amount of bugs and lags, and all the things you can do are bugged. At least on PS3 and PC. I don't know on XBOX360.
    I'm sorry... but as I love GTA:SA, I hate GTA:IV. It is
    This game is too over rated.

I'm sorry... but as I love GTA:SA, I hate GTA:IV. It is not GTA. Do we want to talk about the story? It is definitely one of the most boring and lame stories in videogames history. IMO.

Well, I think that I'm generous giving it a 3.
  49. JosephM.Stewart
    Jun 23, 2008
    A must buy. Period. It's fun. It's really fun, and stays that way for a long time. You'll want to play it more than you have too. It will take up a lot your time. Most annoying parts (such as outing calls) can be skipped with little negative consequences. Though cars drive very realistically (no more on-a-dime turns at 80mph) it actually is pretty cool, and it doesn'tA must buy. Period. It's fun. It's really fun, and stays that way for a long time. You'll want to play it more than you have too. It will take up a lot your time. Most annoying parts (such as outing calls) can be skipped with little negative consequences. Though cars drive very realistically (no more on-a-dime turns at 80mph) it actually is pretty cool, and it doesn't take much to get used to. Hitting people on the side of the road... priceless. Physics are a pluss and will have you murdering many rude drivers who don't respect pedestrians. Graphics are crazy good for a GTA game, and the cities skyline and bridges look amazing, especially at night. Fun Fact: you can shimmy. Sadly, no airplanes, though the helicopter... yea, it's fun, especially online. Which is fun, in a sort of "Oh no he di'int!" kind of way. Heres a piece advise from me: IGNORE all scores, just buy the game. Yes, it is not perfect, but what game will ever be perfect. This game is perfect enough that if you do not buy it, you better be playing it at your friends house. One of the few new release games that is worth its price. System Wise: I have it on PS3, and my friends have it on XBOX; Both kick butt (except I get free internet XD) If you have a XBOX360, buy it for Xbox, and if PS3, get PS3 version. Seriously, just buy it, you will totally be like, "That guy Joseph was totally right, I wish I could give him a high five." Expand
  50. JoeH.
    Mar 8, 2009
    Quite simply one of the best games ever made. The driving is REALISTIC, and the combat is incredibly refined. If you don't drive like a madman then you won't be smashing into stuff, although that can be pretty fun too. And as for the storyline, it's the most engaging plot I have ever seen in a game. I cared about the characters, and the plot twists really caught me offQuite simply one of the best games ever made. The driving is REALISTIC, and the combat is incredibly refined. If you don't drive like a madman then you won't be smashing into stuff, although that can be pretty fun too. And as for the storyline, it's the most engaging plot I have ever seen in a game. I cared about the characters, and the plot twists really caught me off guard. The decisions you make are also brilliant, because you don't really know which way is the right way to go. They leave it up to you. Just a truly fantastic game overall. Expand
  51. RobB
    Sep 1, 2009
    this is the best game ever.being a gamer since the days of the bbc electron and owning almost every platform released on the market trust me when i say it is that good.to the kids that complain it is to serious this is a mature game for a mature audience if you want to do purile things like spray a trailer park with waste go play saints row 2 (i own,its ok,but no gta4)gameplay 10 graphicsthis is the best game ever.being a gamer since the days of the bbc electron and owning almost every platform released on the market trust me when i say it is that good.to the kids that complain it is to serious this is a mature game for a mature audience if you want to do purile things like spray a trailer park with waste go play saints row 2 (i own,its ok,but no gta4)gameplay 10 graphics 10 lifespan 10 whole packagen 10.buy this work of art you wont regret it!!! Expand
  52. AlexM.
    May 16, 2008
    One of the best games of the genre, it really manages to improve on many issues that plagued the series for quite some time. The story and characters are compelling and interesting, the graphics are very good (but not perfect) and the sound effects and soundtrack are top notch. The new gunplay mechanic works well to make gunfights more interesting and less of a chore, while the realisticOne of the best games of the genre, it really manages to improve on many issues that plagued the series for quite some time. The story and characters are compelling and interesting, the graphics are very good (but not perfect) and the sound effects and soundtrack are top notch. The new gunplay mechanic works well to make gunfights more interesting and less of a chore, while the realistic physics and the phenomenal Euphoria engine give a new like to vehicles and pedestrians alike. The city is probably the best thing about this game, full of details and amazing environmental effects - it truly is the best virtual world ever created for a videogame. GTA IV still has the satire and hilarity that are trademarks of this series, but it tries to get rid of some of the more "arcadey" elements of the past, giving us a grittier story and even eliciting some emotional response from the player. It is not perfect, but it is the best game of this generation so far. Expand
  53. Hans
    Jul 16, 2009
    Probably the best game i've played. Seems a lot of people come with some silly excuses and vote a 0 because they want to feel special and go against the hype. Most gamers aren't capable of being subjective, and that's clearly why metacritic doesn't involve user ratings in the metascore. This game has some of the best graphics, physics and story of any PS3 game, which Probably the best game i've played. Seems a lot of people come with some silly excuses and vote a 0 because they want to feel special and go against the hype. Most gamers aren't capable of being subjective, and that's clearly why metacritic doesn't involve user ratings in the metascore. This game has some of the best graphics, physics and story of any PS3 game, which all deserves a 10. Only negative thing i can think of is that the framerate sometimes goes down quite a bit, which can be annoying. I found the missions quite entertaining, but the majority of the missions follow the "drive to a destination and kill people" formula. Despite the negative things, I'd still give it a 10, partly because the multiplayer is so fun, and the overall entertainment level i got from the game was immense. Expand
  54. alecf
    Sep 29, 2009
    i agree with steve m. this game is truly great. all the little kids that played gta san andreas might be upset because its not as crazy and stupid. this is a mature title with a mature story and characters that are actually interesting. the realism is what makes this game great, if your not looking for realism play saints row 2. however i dont believe it is the best game ever made andi agree with steve m. this game is truly great. all the little kids that played gta san andreas might be upset because its not as crazy and stupid. this is a mature title with a mature story and characters that are actually interesting. the realism is what makes this game great, if your not looking for realism play saints row 2. however i dont believe it is the best game ever made and people going into it expecting it to be might be dissapointed. seriously though if you are mature enough for this title pick it up, you wont be sorry Expand
  55. Chris
    Apr 27, 2008
    I couldn't believe my luck when my copy of GTA IV Special Edition turned up on Saturday morning - 3 days early!! I've been playing it pretty much non-stop since then, and words can't describe how awesome it is. I really AM Niko, I feel for him, and care about what he does, the people he meets and the cops he inevitably has to shoot. I've never been so immersed in a I couldn't believe my luck when my copy of GTA IV Special Edition turned up on Saturday morning - 3 days early!! I've been playing it pretty much non-stop since then, and words can't describe how awesome it is. I really AM Niko, I feel for him, and care about what he does, the people he meets and the cops he inevitably has to shoot. I've never been so immersed in a game before, and I wonder if I ever will again... at least until GTA V. Believe the hype! Expand
  56. SethR.
    Jun 27, 2008
    Anyone who thinks this game sucks, has bad graphics, or is too realistic, must take dick up their anal cavity. Expecially Smq....How could you possibly tihnk a game is too realistic? Thats the whole point of the game you flying fag. Best game ver, bar none OUT!
  57. VictorD.
    May 5, 2008
    It's a good game, but the media reviews are totally over blown, it has plenty of flaws, and the aiming mechanics are sloppy. Funnier still is how everyone points this out yet still gives it a perfect score, it's pathetic.
  58. Nov 30, 2011
    This is the most over rated game ever. REALLY 98? User score tells more about this game... This is like every other GTA, boring after few days. Rockstar has paid for those 100 metascore givers.
  59. JohnS.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Graphics could be better. Appeals to children with the need for porn and violence. Appeals to teenagers with the need for porn, violence and cars. Appeals to adults with the need for porn and violence. Grow up.
  60. ArsenKovalevskiy
    Apr 6, 2009
    People who have a negative value to this game, compare it with the big games for consoles, graphics, worse, New York is like, the mission did not like ... Dear, this is DS, and this is the best game on the DS! And the gameplay here because of the more arcade where varied and interesting. Score 10 out of 10.
  61. CarlosV.
    Oct 2, 2008
    This game does not deserve a 10/10 and shame on the critics who have done so. This game is not revolutionary, original, or even attractive visually to me in the LEAST! I
  62. JamesK.
    Apr 17, 2008
  63. EricPousard
    Apr 26, 2008
    I can't see why this game has a low score when it is not even out yet. I have played every GTA game since number one, and they have all been great. So for all those little girls that give it a bad score, go and play your stupid wii with your grandmother.
  64. jakejohns
    May 6, 2008
    i love all the grand theft auto games, i got all the grand theft auto games for sony systems and i pesonaly think sony should get all gta games as eclusives, but gta4 is the most beautiful, and most impressive i have ever played, and i think rocstar games for that masterpiece of a game
  65. HelloDer
    Apr 22, 2008
    Gotta love the 62 (now 63) people that have scored the game before it has even been released. No way they have gotten their hands on it. I'll give it a 10 just to counter-balance the low scores that people are giving it before they have even played the game.
  66. JamesK.
  67. David
    May 1, 2008
    Perfection of the earlier games. Nothing more. Nothing else needed. Not a 10.
  68. GuybrushT.
    Jun 12, 2008
    Way too hyped, and too bugged at launch.
  69. JamesK.
  70. Richard
    Apr 28, 2008
    Simply the best game I have EVER played!
  71. AndyJ.
    Apr 29, 2008
    Ooo look at Fred and Joel trying to be controversial - a '4' and a '1'?! Talk about attention seeking! Anyways for the rest of you, for once in your life, listen to the hype. No game will ever be perfect, but this game comes pretty damn close.
  72. conailldoherty
    May 21, 2008
    what is all the fuss ,i mean come on.It's just the same thing again exept this time the controls are bad.Everythings bean done before.they copyed the lock and aim from 007 everything or nothing,smathing threw car windows from flatout,cars from driver and most of the missions have been done before in other gtas.It's a great game but completly overrated and fails to deliver
  73. KorwynC.
    Jun 21, 2008
    I'm surprised of how people think of this game. Such a piece of trash. The worst in game driving I've ever played. If it was a game that driving is just a tiny part of it, that would be kinda forgivable. But driving in this game is a big part. The most stupid AI for this gen system I've ever seen. I run the red light in front of a cop and nothing happens. But if I park on a I'm surprised of how people think of this game. Such a piece of trash. The worst in game driving I've ever played. If it was a game that driving is just a tiny part of it, that would be kinda forgivable. But driving in this game is a big part. The most stupid AI for this gen system I've ever seen. I run the red light in front of a cop and nothing happens. But if I park on a side walk the cop will run out and start shooting at me. other drivers drive like they should not pass the driving test at the DMV. Some story line makes no sense at all, people don't forget how to speak their language for living in the US for only 10 years. In fact it's impossible to forget their native language when they still have an accent that strong speaking English. I wish this game was XboX exclusive really, coz this game really fit with their exclusive trash collections. Expand
  74. Ryencoke
    Jul 8, 2008
    Over-rated garbage. The game was appealing for about a week. The game is very linear, and lack extra activities. This is the worst GTA in the series. Also, Seth R. You're a damn moron for your comments.
  75. johnbarros
    Jul 12, 2009
    the MOST OVERHYPED OBJECT EVER ON THE FACE OF THIS PLANET. I cant believe all the reviews, im starting to think rockstar paid off every critic. My fave game of all time is gta vice followed by san andreas so you can only imagine my dissapointment after playing this piece of shit. Way too realistic which ruins the all the fun, no real side missions, repetive missions, retarded dating,the MOST OVERHYPED OBJECT EVER ON THE FACE OF THIS PLANET. I cant believe all the reviews, im starting to think rockstar paid off every critic. My fave game of all time is gta vice followed by san andreas so you can only imagine my dissapointment after playing this piece of shit. Way too realistic which ruins the all the fun, no real side missions, repetive missions, retarded dating, boring storyline, uninteresting main charachter, nothing to unlock, no goals to reach, no properties to buy and the list goes on. If the future gta series are like this then theyve lost a fan. its too bad cuz they could have made this game amazing had they not spent 98% of their time on the graphics Expand
  76. CrestonO.
    Apr 26, 2008
    Flawless Good all Around gameplay great storyline and multiplayer.
  77. JosephM.
    Apr 27, 2008
    This is the only game that I ever play, period. This is the only reason I bought a PlayStation 3.
  78. WesleyR.
    Apr 27, 2008
    A gripping, polished, beautiful game from start to finish.
  79. AdolfoP.
    Apr 28, 2008
    GTA IV is the best action game ever. The game has beautiful details, nice situations, extraordinary gameplay, sharp humor and great graphics. There are certainly a few minor negatives about the game, but the positive points are just too much. We have one piece of advice: Buy!
  80. FredC.
    May 24, 2008
    This game has poor graphics for a PS3 game and poor taste. It appeals to little teenagers though.
  81. JohnF
    Oct 19, 2009
    GRAPHICS: For the sheer size of the game, the graphics are very impressive and set a great backdrop for the story. However, the orange-tint common in contemporary games is also here. It's a shame that such a pretty game is bogged down with such an ordinary after-effect. GAMEPLAY: You can do a lot, and most of the controls are very good. Though in the end, controlling Niko feels more GRAPHICS: For the sheer size of the game, the graphics are very impressive and set a great backdrop for the story. However, the orange-tint common in contemporary games is also here. It's a shame that such a pretty game is bogged down with such an ordinary after-effect. GAMEPLAY: You can do a lot, and most of the controls are very good. Though in the end, controlling Niko feels more like work than work. PRESENTATION: High production values are here, though the pacing of the story, the sometimes-awkward controls and abundance of tedious missions makes progressing through the game feel like a chore. The self-aware sense of humor with the PS2 GTA games feels absent here. If you've got 50+ hours to spend on a game and are suffering from OCD, this game is right down your alley. There's no arguing-- this game has a lot crammed into it, but in the end, it's just not very fun. Expand
  82. Mar 17, 2012
    I really don't see why this game has gotten so many perfect scores, it's a great game but it is definitely not perfect. I thought the story was really good, Nico is a really interesting character but there are too many characters. Throughout the game you meet so many people and it makes it hard to follow the story sometimes, however most of these characters are pretty cool. The gameplayI really don't see why this game has gotten so many perfect scores, it's a great game but it is definitely not perfect. I thought the story was really good, Nico is a really interesting character but there are too many characters. Throughout the game you meet so many people and it makes it hard to follow the story sometimes, however most of these characters are pretty cool. The gameplay has been improved but it's still far from perfect, the cover system gets really awkward in tight spaces so its easy to end up dying because of it and the driving, while very enjoyable for the most part, has its problems when you have to chase someone. These flaws could easily be forgiven if there were checkpoints in the missions but for some reason Rockstar have decided that it would be better to have to restart the entire mission every time you fail! When you throw in the flaws with the controls it can get very frustrating! Its not all bad though, if you just want to travel round the city and have fun stealing cars and beating people up, you'll have a great time, the free roam aspect of this game is nailed brilliantly and the amount of things that there are today boggles the mind. The multiplayer, while not extremely addictive, is pretty good as long as you're playing with plenty of people. This game shows its problems when you're trying to play the story line, don't get me wrong its not a bad game, i enjoyed quite alot of it, but there are many problems that I can not over look. Expand
  83. Apr 6, 2013
    GTA IV is such an utter disappointment i was just sad as a long time fan of GTA since PS2 days the series is really messed up now just like Metal Gear Solid the only way to fix these problems is to stop making games first of all im really shocked about how it got so many 10/10's for such a sh**ty game rockstar must have bribed these greedy a*****es for these reviews
  84. JaredS.
    Dec 4, 2008
    There is a reason why critics give this game an average of a 9.8 and the gamers gave it around an 8, and it's the same reason the movies that win Academy awards don't always gross the highest. This game is a triumph of entertainment on every level, not just an introduction of newer and better game mechanics and minigames. The story and characters surpass anything the GTA series There is a reason why critics give this game an average of a 9.8 and the gamers gave it around an 8, and it's the same reason the movies that win Academy awards don't always gross the highest. This game is a triumph of entertainment on every level, not just an introduction of newer and better game mechanics and minigames. The story and characters surpass anything the GTA series has to offer, and stands among other masterpieces of video game storytelling such as Final Fantasy X. But, some gamers just want "bigger, faster, better, more" and the fact that the number of weapons and other gameplay options has been peeled back in favor of a more immersive and cohesive experience leave these fans wanting more. That doesn't mean that GTA: San Andreas is a better game - it's not - but there are more game-y things to do in it. The GTA series has finally come into its own as a game made specifically for adults, both in the maturity of its content and in the depth of character and storytelling. Kids looking for cheap thrills will find more entertainment elsewhere. Expand
  85. BryanS.
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm loving the gameplay, the story, and the amazing "feel" of the city. They hit this one out of the park!
  86. AndrewS
    May 1, 2008
    Textures much rougher than in 360 version, and with the lighting everything looks somewhat yellow, unlike 360 where it looks more natural. Not the version to get.
  87. artist5280lucas38
    May 1, 2008
    I am a 42 year old father of three and this game is definitely not for the kiddies! That said, Grand Theft Auto IV will have its detractors; it wouldn
  88. D.B.
    May 7, 2008
    More of the same, except many things about San A. that were fun were taken out of this build. All sorts of glitches which make this game far from perfect. And honestly, if you've played the other versions of GTA, it's the same old same old with very little changed other than graphics... which have framerate dips. I know 4 is harsh, but i feel like I have to make it that low to More of the same, except many things about San A. that were fun were taken out of this build. All sorts of glitches which make this game far from perfect. And honestly, if you've played the other versions of GTA, it's the same old same old with very little changed other than graphics... which have framerate dips. I know 4 is harsh, but i feel like I have to make it that low to show these reviewers that gamers are smarter than this to give this game a solid 10. If you are one of those guys who says "360 is the best system eva!" while only owning about 3 games for it, then yes, this is the "best game eva" for you. But anyone who's honestly played games their whole life can think of dozens of games that were more entertaining and more diverse than GTA IV if you are honest with yourself. Expand
  89. PrinceofNessus
    Jun 2, 2008
    The most underwhelming game of the year. Graphically superior to it's predecessors, but in every other category a step backwards. The main storyline is awkwardly shoehorned into the game with spotty voice acting. The phone is a constant annoyance, as it rings at least every 5 minutes. The city is monotonous and boring. The relationship aspect of the game is a time consuming The most underwhelming game of the year. Graphically superior to it's predecessors, but in every other category a step backwards. The main storyline is awkwardly shoehorned into the game with spotty voice acting. The phone is a constant annoyance, as it rings at least every 5 minutes. The city is monotonous and boring. The relationship aspect of the game is a time consuming rewardless waste of time reminescient of a sisyphian task. The combat system is flawed, locking on to targets halfway across the building while ignoring the shotgun toting bad guy who is shooting you in the head. Lastly all the fun and quirky minigames have been taken out. Do you want to collect packages for rewards, buy property or maybe go on a paramedic mission? Too bad 'cause Rockstar decided they have no place in GTA IV. Expand
  90. HGaroldP.
    Aug 12, 2008
    Nothing special with a dissapointing lack of fun features. They tried to make the storyline gritty and it kinda didn't work. Still, at least the critics are pleased.
  91. SalvadorR.
    Feb 16, 2009
    This game is terrible dont let the media confuse you into believing it is that good u will be disappointed when i 1st got this game i was 2 exited that i didn't relize that i wasn't haveing that much fun. I had a way better time playing gta san andraes. once i finished the game i play the crap multiplayer and traded it in for only $15 they said " we have plenty of these used" This game is terrible dont let the media confuse you into believing it is that good u will be disappointed when i 1st got this game i was 2 exited that i didn't relize that i wasn't haveing that much fun. I had a way better time playing gta san andraes. once i finished the game i play the crap multiplayer and traded it in for only $15 they said " we have plenty of these used" and I traded it only a month after it came out alot of people know the TRUTH.! Expand
  92. Aug 27, 2011
    Completely overrated. I stopped playing after two hours because every mission was a variation of "follow me while i talk to and then kill some people I don't like". Also, the game mechanics are crap, because every time I want to shoot someone, the crosshair is automatically pointed at and locked on the nearest person's torso, making headshots and other things impossible to make. InCompletely overrated. I stopped playing after two hours because every mission was a variation of "follow me while i talk to and then kill some people I don't like". Also, the game mechanics are crap, because every time I want to shoot someone, the crosshair is automatically pointed at and locked on the nearest person's torso, making headshots and other things impossible to make. In addition, the story is never fleshed out. Niko is here to find some person, but that is never pursued, and he seems to be trying to be legit, but that never happens. GTA 4 is imbalanced and boring, and is easily one of the worst games I have every played. Expand
  93. Dec 19, 2012
    The foundations for a next-gen GTA are there. Unfortunately, the content simply isn't anywhere near enough in the single player to class this as an open-world action-adventure. It's more of a linear shooter. The biggest failure in GTA history, but not a bad game in itself. Quality is high in all departments. What's there is really top notch - the cars, driving physics, combat system,The foundations for a next-gen GTA are there. Unfortunately, the content simply isn't anywhere near enough in the single player to class this as an open-world action-adventure. It's more of a linear shooter. The biggest failure in GTA history, but not a bad game in itself. Quality is high in all departments. What's there is really top notch - the cars, driving physics, combat system, facial detail, lighting... I could go on. My issue is with the things that are missing - which is variety, side missions, RPG elements, fun factor. I can see why this game has sold well- if you've never played a video game then this is the best place to start. Otherwise it's so repetitive, simple and mundane that you don't really appreciate the frightening attention to detail. All the little things have been rigourosly worked on, but this game has almost no ambition at all. It's basically a generation upgrade from GTA III, nothing more, nothing less. Expand
  94. Sep 17, 2012
    A departure from the series. Everything that made GTA memorable was lost, and I mean everything; from the dark, quirky humour, to the popular culture references, to the things we have come to associate with GTA... **** as weapons, jetpacks, miniguns, flamethrowers, gangs, planes, prostitutes, storming mansions. All gone, and in its place we have a very serious, stern and boring experienceA departure from the series. Everything that made GTA memorable was lost, and I mean everything; from the dark, quirky humour, to the popular culture references, to the things we have come to associate with GTA... **** as weapons, jetpacks, miniguns, flamethrowers, gangs, planes, prostitutes, storming mansions. All gone, and in its place we have a very serious, stern and boring experience that tries to prop itself up with good graphics and driving mechanics. This game is not fun. No nostalgia whatsoever. I do not associate this game with Vice City or San Andreas. Niko is the most forgettable video game character of all time. Nothing on Tommy Vercetti. Expand
  95. Apr 7, 2013
    I love this game is perfect everything is just awesome in every department the story the graphics, the gameplay is just perfect the general vibe that the game ends up giving you all together with the freedom it deserves a ten cause it's perfect
  96. Jul 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here is a summary for those who don’t want to read the whole review (the review contains spoilers).
    +Very Strong Opening
    + (At the time it was released) Good Graphics, but that is not worth shouting about as graphics quickly become out of date.
    +Mini games (e.g. bowling) are well pulled off.
    -Very repetitive missions, with next to no variety making the game boring, as you go to a location kill someone/or collect something, 50 times.
    -Virtually no customisation, which makes your character feel no different from start to finish, reducing the level of fun.
    -Very annoying aspects like terrible driving.
    -Boring combat
    -Very average story, with limited variety.

In short buy Saints Row 2, Sleeping Dogs or even Gta San Andreas, these games are far superior, and are more fun. Gta 4 is worth a rental at most.

Full Review
    The start of the game is very strong, as you become immersed in wanting to find out about Niko Bellic and how he struggles to find the “American Dream”. The graphics (at the time it was released) were of good quality, giving the game the look of a next generation grand theft auto game.

However you quickly realise that the game falls flat on nearly every level.

One of the annoyances of the game you will notice very quickly is the driving, which while fun at first, proves to be a dump on your front door step. This is because all vehicles feel very similar and under steer like or if you apply too much throttle over steer like they were on ice. The use of toll gates and crashing every five seconds resulting in you falling out the windscreen, only serve as the bits of sweet corn in the dump on your door step. Such a terrible driving system, further serves as a reminder of how much Rockstar have removed from San Andreas, because the driving in that was insane and FUN.

Another annoyance is how there is nothing to spend your money making it pointless. Unlike in previous games where you could buy property and businesses making you feel like a bad ass overlord, in Gta 4, you can buy clothes, a few guns (less than you could get in Gta San Andreas) and food. This is something you will notice as it adds to the lack of depth in Niko, as his primary motive is money, yet he can’t spend it on anything so what is the point, in him risking his arse every 5 seconds.

Another of the many annoyances is the character interaction. Your uncle (Roman) is one the most annoying characters in gaming history, constantly being a little Jacob is a walking, talking serotype as is Packie, (and his whole family). However the worst character (unfortunately) is the one you play as (Niko). He is basically a black stale, and while Rockstar tried to add depth to his character by revealing his story of being a former army solider gradually, ultimately it amounts to nothing of interest, demonstrating a lack of depth to his character.

With regards to the story, there is nothing ground breaking here, as it is your standard revenge story, nothing as gripping as Sleeping Dogs which was predictable was still enjoyable. The only really noticeable moment of the story is the choice at the end (Spoiler alert) where you get to choice if Roman dies or Kate dies by undergoing one of two missions prior to the event. However it falls flat, as you want to kill off Roman, but if you do Kate disappeared, making it better to keep the annoying prick (Roman) alive over the only decent character in the story (Kate). Furthermore the choice has no impact on the actually ending, making it rather pointless. I can see where they were going, trying to make it a dark and quite depressing story, but honestly with all the annoyances of Niko, I couldn’t care less about what happens to him. This ultimately means that the story, like the game on the whole, falls flat.

However possible the main problem with the game is how there is NO variety in anything. This can be seen by how in the following areas GTA 4, has limited variety, Missions (in Gta4 you virtual go from location to location killing people, with minimal challenge as the Enemy A.I have a tendency to just peek out of cover exposing their heads making for easy head shots or suicide charge; and no build up. In San Andreas there while Enemy A.I is retarded the variety of missions make up for it), Customisation (in San Andreas and Saints Row 2 you could get tattoos, haircuts, and tons of clothes; in Gta4 you can only buy a limited number of clothes), Vehicles (in San Andreas and Saints Row 2 you had tons of vehicles and planes, in Gta4 there is only like 3 helis and no planes). This lack of variety makes it so it feels that Rockstar removed all of what made San Andreas so great, and replaced it with mediocrity dullness.

All these mind-numbing elements ultimately make the game annoying without enough irritations to make you turn it off. This, from a studio that gave us games like Max Payne 3, Bully etc., amounts to a great disappointment.
  97. MattD.
    Jun 1, 2008
    The mission structure and game mechanics are far too flawed for this to be enjoyable on any level. It's sooo monotonous.
  98. SteveM
    Jul 22, 2009
    This game is too repetitive. You go and talk with one man, he want to kill someone. You kill the guy, and ok it's done. The game is always this. Graphics aren't the best, playstation have better graphics to offer. Some crashes around the game made me put this game away, I sold it 5$. Really bad game.
  99. JamesK.
    Apr 3, 2008
  100. Apr 3, 2011
    Overrated. Annoying characters, clunky gameplay (did the developers ever try driving a real car?!), did I say annoying characters? So glad I got it second hand and cheap--still a waste of money.
  101. Aug 25, 2011
    I played this game for a week and feel bad that I didn't give it a second chance or anything. But I kind of wanted to play through the game as like a good, good guy and thought that that was kind of difficult. Like I don't enjoy just going around crashing cars and stuff, which I know is the main appeal of this game for a lot of people. There's really not much to do in the city, or at leastI played this game for a week and feel bad that I didn't give it a second chance or anything. But I kind of wanted to play through the game as like a good, good guy and thought that that was kind of difficult. Like I don't enjoy just going around crashing cars and stuff, which I know is the main appeal of this game for a lot of people. There's really not much to do in the city, or at least the beginning. You can't understand a single word the Jamaican guy(s) say(s) so it's best to turn on subtitles for at least those parts. Driving controls kind of blow as in every. single. Rockstar. game. I did like the different camera options you had when driving. I also liked the cell phone, that was kind of cool. The characters were fairly interesting, I just wasn't really into the story being Niko running errands around for the big dogs. Collapse

1. Grand Theft Auto IV is not a perfect game, but it is fantastic through and through, from start to finish and beyond. It is so massive, vast and impressive that it is almost mind-boggling to imagine how much work must have gone into the game to come up with so much detail.
  2. But GTA IV will never get old, or start repeating itself. It will always offer anyone who turns it on an experience to savour.
  3. GTA4 is a traditional crime story through and through, with a script that rarely strays from its purpose, a pitch-perfect supporting cast, and an expert combination of in-game storytelling and crafted cut-scenes. [June 2008, p.80]