7.5

1. MattWix
    May 2, 2008
    Absolutely the best game this year, last year, pretty much the last miilenium. Some kind of Holy Being will have to craft the perfect game out of his own frozen brilliance to even come close to the quality of this epic masterpiece. The gra[hics are brilliant, the gameplay damn near perfect and the immersion total. Miss tihs game at your peril, for you will surely die of your own stupidity.Absolutely the best game this year, last year, pretty much the last miilenium. Some kind of Holy Being will have to craft the perfect game out of his own frozen brilliance to even come close to the quality of this epic masterpiece. The gra[hics are brilliant, the gameplay damn near perfect and the immersion total. Miss tihs game at your peril, for you will surely die of your own stupidity. Frankly, it's quality surpasses the level that your brain can comprehend, and in 10000 years we'll have evolved and we'll go 'Wow!' all over again... Expand
  2. oranges
    Oct 1, 2008
    How can the critics give a 10 to a game like this? the shooting is a joke, u might as well throw rocks at the enemys - all it is driving around your gay cousin or somthing so he doesnt get killed - complete wast of money and time for this game.
  3. MaximusA.
    Jan 26, 2009
    This game is simply not fun. In fact i'd go so far as to say it's disgrace to the GTA series. I am a massive GTA fan and I was beyond disappointed to find out they traded in all the quirky, fun aspects of the previous games for realism. Personally, I much enjoyed being able to hop on a car and snipe people while the driver drove around in a panicked frenzy. But now as soon as This game is simply not fun. In fact i'd go so far as to say it's disgrace to the GTA series. I am a massive GTA fan and I was beyond disappointed to find out they traded in all the quirky, fun aspects of the previous games for realism. Personally, I much enjoyed being able to hop on a car and snipe people while the driver drove around in a panicked frenzy. But now as soon as the car starts moving, Niko falls off, as he most likely would in the real world, and I sigh as another one of my once numerous tiny joys in the GTA world dies. By applying realistic driving physics Rockstar has taken away one of the best aspects of the game, the unrealistic but insanely awesome driving. No more property to buy means the money you earn is essentially useless. Buying property was one of the best aspects of Vice City and San Andreas because you felt like you were taking over the city. Once upon a time our characters wanted to do something with their lives, become something, take over. Instead we're given nihilistic Niko, who we have absolutely no attachment to to begin with. In fact his history is purposely presented as a mystery, leaving us with this sarcastic ghost of a character. The missions are menotenous and boring. The relationships are the worst thing to ever happen to the GTA series. It is NOT fun having to go on stupid dates with your cousin, especially after the 5th or 6th time. It's like this. I get home from work and I want to escape to an awesome world of freedom and adventure. Instead I have an annoying cast of fools badgering me to go to a cabaret show and if I don't feel like going they get offended, and take away their taxi service. Not fun. At all. Expand
  4. JoeR.
    Aug 16, 2008
    Horrendously boring.
  5. May 18, 2011
    Why is this game rated the best PS3 game ever? Are you serious? This game deserves max 3, but I give it 0 to counter all those pointless 10's. I do not reccomned this game at all, unless you need some sandbox game to drive around and screw some stuff, if you want a story, it's not a good game.
  6. FredC.
    Apr 27, 2008
    This game has poor graphics for a PS3 game and poor taste. It appeals to little teenagers though.
  7. Mar 6, 2012
    A boring game-as-art experience. It's an accomplishment to create such a giant city, but a shame not to build a functioning game. All forms of gameplay are poor and clunky, inferior to the champions of each genre. Driving doesn't feel as good as a racing game, bowling doesn't feel as good as a bowling game, etc. Every experience offered in GTA IV can be found elsewhere, and in FUN form.A boring game-as-art experience. It's an accomplishment to create such a giant city, but a shame not to build a functioning game. All forms of gameplay are poor and clunky, inferior to the champions of each genre. Driving doesn't feel as good as a racing game, bowling doesn't feel as good as a bowling game, etc. Every experience offered in GTA IV can be found elsewhere, and in FUN form. Strip it down and it's a compilation of half-ass mini-games separated by a gigantic, but hollow, hub world. Expand
  8. CParkin
    Oct 22, 2008
    By far the most over hyped and overrated game i personally have ever seen. GTA has lost its soul in this game and is not San Andreas or even Vice City. The game has many flaws with its substandard online modes and its poor driving sections, definitely not what the critics made it out to be
  9. Dec 11, 2011
    This game is not impressive. I was pumped when this game came out, but when i played it I simply did not enjoy playing it. Got tired of it very quickly. They took too much of what i loved about san andreas out of this installment.
  10. DiscoStu
    Sep 13, 2008
    The firsat hour or so is a ten out of ten. But after playing for a while you realise how many things are wrong with this game. Awful shooting--- they said it would be like uncharted or Gears of War, what we got was clumsy controls and mediocre gunplay. Repetitive--- Drive here, shoot this guy, drive back repeat x 50 ti win the game Frustrating--- Some missions were quite lenghty, having The firsat hour or so is a ten out of ten. But after playing for a while you realise how many things are wrong with this game. Awful shooting--- they said it would be like uncharted or Gears of War, what we got was clumsy controls and mediocre gunplay. Repetitive--- Drive here, shoot this guy, drive back repeat x 50 ti win the game Frustrating--- Some missions were quite lenghty, having many objectives and spanning avross multiple locations, however if you were to fail a mission halfway through or right near the end, you get no checkpionts, you have to start all over again, making this game dangerously unplayable Expand
  11. AndresFernando
    Sep 7, 2009
    I dont believe the way they destroyed this awesome franchise. Eventough the realism and superb graphics; it has nothing on GTA San Andreas. The story is way tooo repetitive, only go and shoot some guy. The submissions are enough to throw the game away; not like in predecessors where u could do a million different things.
    If San Andreas never had existed, GTA 4 would be a wonderful game;
    If San Andreas never had existed, GTA 4 would be a wonderful game; but they have to live up to the franchise and this game was a huuuuuge disappointment.

[Apologies 4 my english... Good luck from Argentina]
  12. ScottC
    Dec 26, 2008
    It was fun for like 5 minutes! Just like the rest of the GTA games. The story i found boring and the online is terrible! Worst online expierience ive ever had. Worst 40 quid I have ever spent. Wish I gave this one a pass and just bought MGS4 on its own instead.
  13. EAIsgay
    Apr 16, 2008
    omg uh if u play this game and dont like it please cut your hands off cause you never deserve to game again. ok jk but seriously this game is amazing. the story will be riviting, full of interesting characters, and this time the shooting mechanic wont disapoint. goty no question
  14. FredC.
    May 4, 2008
  15. StephenM
    Jan 25, 2009
    As soon as you load the tape into the Ps3, you know you have probably stumbled across the finest RPG since that Chinese dudes game:- Zone of Enders! The color, shadow arrays and costumes have to be seen to believed, words can't describe the emotional attatchmnent you will encouter with Zenny, the games main female protaganist. The only slight niggle I had with Killzone 2 (or THAT As soon as you load the tape into the Ps3, you know you have probably stumbled across the finest RPG since that Chinese dudes game:- Zone of Enders! The color, shadow arrays and costumes have to be seen to believed, words can't describe the emotional attatchmnent you will encouter with Zenny, the games main female protaganist. The only slight niggle I had with Killzone 2 (or THAT GAME as myself and my wife have come to call it) is its lack of fish, you never get to see any fish. I don't know if this is a deliberate choice made by the developers or an oversight. But be warned if you are looking for fish, you ain't gonna' find them here. All said and done - fantastic game, well done devs (developers). Expand
  16. AmigaGuruT.
    Jul 9, 2008
    How this game got so many 10's are beyond my imagination, seriously this is the worst GTA in years amd still it scores better than all of them??????? Biased reviews? , why did rockstar go for the realistic approach when that means there ain't anything to do?... also it was the unrealistic stuff that made the other GTA games fun.
  17. JamesK.
  18. DJM
    Apr 30, 2008
    Truly spectacular, haven't tried multiplayer yet, due to PSN's errors, but I'm sure it'll be as addictive as the whole single player campaign. Thanks for this game, Rockstar.
  19. ConradS
    Apr 30, 2008
    There was a lot hype surrounding this game and I believe it was rightfully so. I received my copy today, went home during my lunch hour (I live close to my workplace), when I looked at my watch again 2 hours had passed and I got into a lot of trouble at work - it was worth it. I hope MGS4 is just as succesful as this game as I believe a lot of effort has gone into that as well.
  20. JeffY.
    Apr 30, 2008
    This is the first time I played a GTA game. I have tried the others before, but for some reason, they never appealed to me. GTA4 however, captured me like no game has ever captured me before in the recent years. It's very refreshing and I feel like a total bad ass in new york city. Helps that I live here I guess. This is up there with Zelda Windwaker and God of War as the 3 most This is the first time I played a GTA game. I have tried the others before, but for some reason, they never appealed to me. GTA4 however, captured me like no game has ever captured me before in the recent years. It's very refreshing and I feel like a total bad ass in new york city. Helps that I live here I guess. This is up there with Zelda Windwaker and God of War as the 3 most revolutionary and enjoyable (addictive) games I've played since the new millenium. Expand
  21. EdenH.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Best game of this decade and that's all there is to it.
  22. ClaudiaS.
    Apr 30, 2008
    My addiction level is at "The Weekend has Landed" and I can't put it down. This game blows everything that's come before it out of the water. It's like the culmination of the last 10 years of Rockstar's work. Everything is refined, everything works. Also, Niko Bellic is the best game protagonist in the history of gaming, just thought I'd mention that...
  23. ShaunC
    Apr 30, 2008
    By far, the best game for the PS3, and an aboslute joy to play....the flaws (there are few, as were mentioned in some of the reviews) are so small, few and far-between that GTA iv may be the best game ever made.
  24. MattW.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Ive been playing GTA ever since it was came out from the very start. GTA IV is truelly amazing. Yeah there is a few flaws but no game is totally perfect, but this is just amazing! The graphics, the animations everything it amazing!!!
  25. CraigP.
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's awesome ... literally awesome.
  26. Shadowdancer
    May 5, 2008
    An awesome game that simply everyone should play. The scale on which this game has been designed is simply marvelous. It can't be helped while playing to, at more than one point, give great respect to the creators for making such a pure diamond of a game.
  27. JamesK.
    Apr 20, 2008
  28. JamesK.
    Apr 27, 2008
  29. BronsonM.
    Apr 30, 2008
    How long it has been that I can truly say I've gotten every single penny's worth out of a game, especially an expensive PS3 game! The gameplay is huge, but never overwhelming. Kudos to R* for delivering the best GTA-game yet!
  30. KyleC
    May 7, 2008
    Stunning. Absolutely stunning. From the story, to the graphics, to the meticulous level of detail (go to sleep at night and go outside the next day to notice smudges of dirt that have gathered on your car from a rain storm that occurred earlier), to the often times hilarious voice acting, to the..well I could go on for a while...this game is superb from start to finish. Details you seldom Stunning. Absolutely stunning. From the story, to the graphics, to the meticulous level of detail (go to sleep at night and go outside the next day to notice smudges of dirt that have gathered on your car from a rain storm that occurred earlier), to the often times hilarious voice acting, to the..well I could go on for a while...this game is superb from start to finish. Details you seldom notice exist in real life have been captured by this game. Well done, Rockstar North. You have brought new meaning to next-generation gaming. A novel take on gaming that will be mimicked by other gaming companies for years to come. Expand

1. Grand Theft Auto IV is not a perfect game, but it is fantastic through and through, from start to finish and beyond. It is so massive, vast and impressive that it is almost mind-boggling to imagine how much work must have gone into the game to come up with so much detail.
  2. But GTA IV will never get old, or start repeating itself. It will always offer anyone who turns it on an experience to savour.
  3. GTA4 is a traditional crime story through and through, with a script that rarely strays from its purpose, a pitch-perfect supporting cast, and an expert combination of in-game storytelling and crafted cut-scenes. [June 2008, p.80]