Grand Theft Auto IV PlayStation 3

7.5

1. Feb 9, 2014
    Great graphics and soundtrack but the driving aspect of the game is average to say the least and the less said the better about 3rd person shooter and melee side. I wouldn't have this down as the greatest game of all time and i think the professional reviewers just get taken over by the hype.
  2. Aug 25, 2011
    I played this game for a week and feel bad that I didn't give it a second chance or anything. But I kind of wanted to play through the game as like a good, good guy and thought that that was kind of difficult. Like I don't enjoy just going around crashing cars and stuff, which I know is the main appeal of this game for a lot of people. There's really not much to do in the city, or at leastI played this game for a week and feel bad that I didn't give it a second chance or anything. But I kind of wanted to play through the game as like a good, good guy and thought that that was kind of difficult. Like I don't enjoy just going around crashing cars and stuff, which I know is the main appeal of this game for a lot of people. There's really not much to do in the city, or at least the beginning. You can't understand a single word the Jamaican guy(s) say(s) so it's best to turn on subtitles for at least those parts. Driving controls kind of blow as in every. single. Rockstar. game. I did like the different camera options you had when driving. I also liked the cell phone, that was kind of cool. The characters were fairly interesting, I just wasn't really into the story being Niko running errands around for the big dogs. Expand
  3. Dec 31, 2012
    GTA4 has too many issues, too many repetitive missions, and too many downfalls to be considered anything else than over-hyped. The story could have been more addictive, and the missions are either too easy or way-too-hard. There are so few true innovations, and overall it feels like a step backwards, which is a huge disappointment, especially for such masters as Rockstar.
  4. Oct 6, 2011
    Although GTA IV makes its debut as a "next-gen" title for the PS3 and Xbox 360, it has fell short in terms of visuals and fun gameplay to introduce a more realistic approach to the series. At best, it can be described as a title in its respective series that improves upon the core elements of any sandbox title to a startling degree: story, firefights, driving/walking physics, open-worldAlthough GTA IV makes its debut as a "next-gen" title for the PS3 and Xbox 360, it has fell short in terms of visuals and fun gameplay to introduce a more realistic approach to the series. At best, it can be described as a title in its respective series that improves upon the core elements of any sandbox title to a startling degree: story, firefights, driving/walking physics, open-world level design, all of which feel more real and authentic. However the most important element in any sandbox title is replay value. So can you honestly tell me that you enjoy getting calls from your cousin to go bowling? It's not the worst game I've ever played but it's not very memorable either. Expand
  5. Dec 11, 2013
    Technically this game is very good. The story is good, the ending of the story is one off the most gripping moments ever. But, why is this game gta? Why has this game an open world? There is nothing do do in the open world, not like in the previous gta games. The gameplay has improved a lot over previous installments but if they focused on the story, made this exact game but more linearTechnically this game is very good. The story is good, the ending of the story is one off the most gripping moments ever. But, why is this game gta? Why has this game an open world? There is nothing do do in the open world, not like in the previous gta games. The gameplay has improved a lot over previous installments but if they focused on the story, made this exact game but more linear and focus more on the gameplay it could've been so much better. Such a big and beautiful world and nothing to do in it. It's a shame. Expand
  6. Nov 9, 2012
    The biggest problem with the game is the controls. Could they have made driving not feel like a chore? And because they put the cheat system in the phone, its very difficult to access. San Andreas is better because it had more weapons, better controls, and better cheats. San Andreas has a jetpack and flying cars cheats and other great ones. Does GTA 4 have any of this? No.
  7. Nov 8, 2011
    I like me some GTA. And this is like... next gen GTA. But that's where the fun stops. I dislike this game the more I play it. Niko is unlikeable. He's too shy, never wants to talk about the plot. Someone will say "Hey, Niko! Why did you come to America?" And he'll respond something like, "I don't want to talk about it." Well, **** Now I'm curious. So the story sucks, theI like me some GTA. And this is like... next gen GTA. But that's where the fun stops. I dislike this game the more I play it. Niko is unlikeable. He's too shy, never wants to talk about the plot. Someone will say "Hey, Niko! Why did you come to America?" And he'll respond something like, "I don't want to talk about it." Well, **** Now I'm curious. So the story sucks, the characters are entirely annoying. My favorite was the in-your-face bro, because at least i expected him to be annoying. The NPCs are always bothering you, calling you, talking about stupid stuff. They want to go play mini-games that aren't fun. I don't understand. The gameplay seems to have gone downhill as well. Like, there's a little green line that shows you where to go on the mini-map. It's really helpful if you're, you know, stupid or lazy. I guess people like this one because it has "modern graphics" but I'm not even sure it looks so hot. Motion blur sucks, that's not an opinion. It has a weird grainy quality to it, not a film grain, more like a blurry this-is-the-best-we-could-do quality. Niko leans when he turns, this was the deal breaker for me. Do people tilt back and forth when they walk around corners? I never noticed it before. Seems minor, but you literally have to look at this animation constantly while playing. I'm tired of thinking about this game. Expand
  8. Dec 28, 2011
    The Graphics and the fact the GTA 4 is massive is fantastic. However GTA 4 is let down big time on the gameplay. It baffles me that critics can give it such a good score while being aware of this. The story isn't very interesting nor is the character very likeable. The mission are very very repetative, and it's usually the duller ones that are the most frustrating. Wondering aroundThe Graphics and the fact the GTA 4 is massive is fantastic. However GTA 4 is let down big time on the gameplay. It baffles me that critics can give it such a good score while being aware of this. The story isn't very interesting nor is the character very likeable. The mission are very very repetative, and it's usually the duller ones that are the most frustrating. Wondering around the game doing your own thing is the most fun you'll get out of this game, as the makers don't seem to understand what variation means. It's generally just Drive from A to B, Kill everyone, Drive to C. Expand
  9. Apr 14, 2015
    It's 2015, maybe I tried this game too late, but it feel it very outdated from every aspect: graphics, controls, driving model, etc. Maybe GTA V will be way better on PC.
  10. Aug 9, 2012
    This game is far from perfect, there is nothing innovative, the characters are not likable, the story is unoriginal, and the game just consist of stealing cars, killing innocent people,. and boring side quests. This game is not anywhere near as good as some of these people say. I liked GTA 3 better, and i don't like GTA that much period.
  11. Oct 23, 2012
    Nothing to do apart from drive around and kill people. Fighting system is completely 100% awful, controls / game play / movement on foot is clunky, unresponsive and slow. No activities to take part in, for example muggings, robberies, burgulary, import / export, arena sports etc. They stripped the game bare and made it boring as ****
  12. Aug 23, 2014
    I can understand the "pros" 98% but I fell sorry when some users give a 10 to a boring and repetitive game like this. The multiplayer can be fun and the story aspect of the game is great but the gameplay is absolute trash. Really disappointed with this one Rockstar.
  13. Mar 26, 2013
    The story was boring. Gameplay was boring. However it did have significantly better graphics, just a step down in everything else after gta san andreas. I 'm so glad the next gta isn't in NY.
  14. Feb 1, 2013
    GTA 4 is a slight downgrade from the previous games in the series, it is missing many of the elements that made the previous installments of the series amazing games but at the same time adds some cool new stuff also. The biggest negative this game has is it's story missions and side missions, these felt like a repetitive bore rather than a supposed amazing experience that they wereGTA 4 is a slight downgrade from the previous games in the series, it is missing many of the elements that made the previous installments of the series amazing games but at the same time adds some cool new stuff also. The biggest negative this game has is it's story missions and side missions, these felt like a repetitive bore rather than a supposed amazing experience that they were promised to be. Most characters in the game felt boring and uninteresting even the main character of newly settled Liberty city resident Niko Belic, who just acts like a angry and unfunny stereotypical Russian thought the entire game along with his funny and more interesting cousin Roman Belic.

Another major negative about this game is the decreased map size and lack of vehicles in the game. What made the previous GTA games great is the pure and utter stupidity of them, with over the top vehicles like the hover car or the jet pack and the massive map size with unique and interesting locations to explore like military bases. But GTA 4 falters massively in these categories. It's map size is smaller than previous GTA games like San Andreas and at the same time more uninteresting to explore, with shooting pigeons and playing darts the only to really do. The vehicles in the game are also much more uninspired than previous games, instead of running people down in tanks or causing some chaos in jets, you instead can grab a ride in a taxi and explore the bland area of Liberty city for the insane price of $20 in game dollars. However GTA 4 delivers really well on some features. The multiplayer is a prime example of this, with 14 excellent game modes and a massive 8 players party mode the bland Liberty City can become a hectic and thrilling place. Although there are still some lag and connection problems in the multiplayer. Also worth noting is the visuals of GTA 4 as they are nothing short of amazing and really help make you feel that you are walking around in Liberty city.

Overall GTA 4 is a great game with many flaws, major and minor, but still delivers well on multiplayer and just overall fun. I recommend anybody should go out and buy this game as it offers much enjoyment and epicness. 7/10-Great.
  15. Feb 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After playing the outstanding PS2 GTAs I thought that on the PS3, the game would be fantastic.
    When I started the game, I thought it was pretty good, but soon after, I found it wasn't as fun as I had hoped.
    Graphically, the game is great, seeing as it was released in 2008.
    Liberty City is a great setting, the city has great detail and has some cool easter eggs. However, compared to the huge San Andreas, this feels really small and I found myself driving from the airport to the other side in no time.
    The characters are kind of a mixed back, I feel alienated by Nikos views on violence. Many a time would I hear things like "Blah blah I did terrible things at the war, cousin, blah blah." Right after he shot an employer (of sorts) in the head for having an affair with his cousins girlfriend. I do enjoy his random quotes after getting hit by cars or failing a mission.
    The other main characters are ok for the most part. Except for cousin Roman. He is the most annoying
    person in any video game ever. Brucie is kind of annoying but kind of funny. I like Jacob for some reason.

I can't stand the tone of the game. On the internet, you find news stories that may be related to your actions in the storyline, they're funny but you may not even see them. Mostly the game is all dull and dreary, with a grey feel to everything.

The gameplay is decent, I love the car control sometimes, but in missions when chasing people (as you will be with the very few unique missions in the game, mostly you just have to hunt someone, chase someone or intercept a drug deal) it gets so annoying. Cars control like a man in dress shoes on an ice rink. Shooting is quite alright.
    The pastimes are so tedious though, quite often you get a call from Roman or one of your other friends asking if you want to go bowling, I think you can disable these but if you do go bowling or whatever, its quite boring and tedious.

This game had alot of good features and alot of bad ones, neither outweigh eachother.
  16. May 7, 2013
    GTA IV is a good game. I enjoy the open-world and non-linear game designs in GTA IV. You are free to jack any vehicle you like and kill anyone you dislike. You are free to complete the missions in any order you want.

It is a good game. Graphics(7/10), audio(9/10), storyline(8/10) and gameplay(8/10).
  17. Jan 12, 2015
    While GTA IV had more of a dark story, the overall 'everything' for this game is quite disappointing.

7 years later, GTA IV is still boring after story completion, and there isn't anything to do afterwards, unless you like killing pigeons across LC. For this game to get a 98, and for GTA V to get a 97 is quite ridiculous. When I played the game in 2008, I still had the same

For this game to get a 98, and for GTA V to get a 97 is quite ridiculous.

When I played the game in 2008, I still had the same opinion I have now.

I give this game a 6.5/10, because the story is the only thing that had me on this game for more.
  18. Nov 1, 2013
    I regret to say I was swept up in the moment. Jumped on the bandwagon. Became a sheep to the games industry... and I regret it. Looking back now I realise just how austere GTA IV was. Once you had completed the game there was nothing more to do but tedious side missions. the campaign was only just better but the ending was a let down. This game was a large step back from its predecessorI regret to say I was swept up in the moment. Jumped on the bandwagon. Became a sheep to the games industry... and I regret it. Looking back now I realise just how austere GTA IV was. Once you had completed the game there was nothing more to do but tedious side missions. the campaign was only just better but the ending was a let down. This game was a large step back from its predecessor and dare I say it............................... Overrated. I do hate that word.)

Perhaps I am being to harsh, after all it was an old game on a brand new console back then. No one had played a game like it before on an Xbox or Ps3. however as games got better, you start to realise the flaws in a game you once thought the world of.
    To start of with the story is a bit cliché. some missions are a bit hit and miss. the cover mechanics are clunky and un-polished but the shooting is much like the others so no problems there. Driving is quite a nuisance because all the vehicles are massively heavy and cannot swerve without crashing. Speaking of crashing though, the explosions looked amazing back then and still hold up now. Despite the name of the game you wont want to commit any crimes though. The police apparently see everything and know exactly where you are when hiding. this angers me as it pretty much messes up an iconic part of GTA. exploring the city can be fun at times but I would take a helicopter.( the cheat is 359-555-0100 on Nikos phone).

But I could forgive that all if it wasn't for your cousin ringing you up every fifteen minutes to do dull activities with him. If you don't then his bond declines with you. Its punishment either way. At least let us say no.
    At the end of the game you have all your money so what do you spend it on... all. There is only a few things you can spend money on. Weapons which you will find anyway and clothes which there is very little choice of.

My verdict is that this game is not as good as the gleaming glistening reviews it got. But I understand why they gave it those perfect reviews and that's because we all did. Everyone who bought the game at one point, loved it. But time rots everything and surely enough when you want to replay years from now... you will sigh a breath of boredom when dear old cousin rings you up
  19. Feb 1, 2014
    Not Going to lie that i had some fun playing this game,dating,blowing stuff up,hang out with friends BUT they removed some of the fun sides of gta san andreas like hairstyle,Not really that big city.They only focused it on the graphics and stuff.But still it has a great storyline
  20. Nov 12, 2014
    Full disclosure: I haven't really been a GTA fan since the first game. I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe it's how easy the games are. Like it's incredibly dumbed down so everyone can skate by with ease.

GTA IV is no different. They really need a difficulty level option or something. This particular GTA I found somewhat boring. The variety of things you can do is nice, but each

This particular GTA I found somewhat boring. The variety of things you can do is nice, but each mini-game is even more boring than the main game, which at least has some interesting aspects to it. I find the protagonist bland, and most of the supporting characters highly annoying. The story is lackluster, at least as much of it as I saw. I only got about 10 hours in before I gave up on the game.

Here's hoping GTA V will hold my interest when it comes out on PC this January!
  21. Jun 12, 2014
    It may not be the best gta game but it is one of the best games I have ever played. Its got great graphics, great voice acting, so many memorable characters, good sound track, good realistic driving physics and one of the best stories I have ever seen in a videogame.
    But that doesn't mean the game doesn't have problems. Sometimes the framerate drops when the action gets too explosive, so many nice features from San Andreas and other previous gta games have been removed, its smaller than San Andreas and once you have finished the game there aren't a lot of fun activities to do but once you are in this situation you can always have fun with your friends using online multiplayer(just check out KYR Speedy's videos on youtube).
    My verdict is that even though its different from previous gta games its still a great game for current gen because of its graphics and physics but don't go into this game expecting it to find features from other gta games just play to experience the thrill of playing a gta game on a new gen of consoles.
  22. May 26, 2014
    It's really nice story and that car driving in game is so realistic, but graphic is not great, it's like "black and white" sometime...that's the only reason why i don't like GTA IV
  23. Jun 3, 2014
    Good game, but highly overrated in my opinion. Niko Bellic is an interesting character at first, but seems very monotonous and bland after some time. Other characters are forgettable due to no discernable trait. Driving is very frustrating and rage inducing during car chase sequences. Liberty City is very nice, but noticeably " copy and paste " after some time in the city. Controls areGood game, but highly overrated in my opinion. Niko Bellic is an interesting character at first, but seems very monotonous and bland after some time. Other characters are forgettable due to no discernable trait. Driving is very frustrating and rage inducing during car chase sequences. Liberty City is very nice, but noticeably " copy and paste " after some time in the city. Controls are sub-par and animations could have polished some more. In hindsight, the only redeeming quality is the DLC, both are very well done and offer much more than the base game. The game's problems with controls and driving wouldn't be noticeable if there was any form of checkpoint system in missions, instead you have to start from the beginning and painstakingly drive back to the area you died at. I think it doesn't deserves a 98, but it does deserve to be experienced at least once if you want to experience it for yourself.

Time did not do this game any favors, especially with how much Red Dead Redemption and GTA V have raised the standard expected of Rockstar games.
  24. Aug 23, 2014
    This game is big and full of glitches. I love GTA but this game is hard to play. The controls and camera angle make this game very frustrating. With a little more focus on the basic game play this game could have been great. Compared to GTA 5 this game sucks. Compared to previous and new GTA games this game is at the bottom. The story and Characters are fine but game play is horrible.
  25. Sep 20, 2014
    This game is overrated. Reasons? This game has done nothing new for the series as a whole, nor was it too interesting. GTA San Andreas was much better, brought a lot more to this game series and was actually pretty fun because it felt more immersive. I'm actually not sure what feeling of accomplishment or fun that I should be deriving from this game because all you are looking for isThis game is overrated. Reasons? This game has done nothing new for the series as a whole, nor was it too interesting. GTA San Andreas was much better, brought a lot more to this game series and was actually pretty fun because it felt more immersive. I'm actually not sure what feeling of accomplishment or fun that I should be deriving from this game because all you are looking for is either money, weapons, or cars. Not something that big of a deal considering all you are going to do with that is either kill for more money, weapons, or cars and the gameplay is not that great or fun enough to keep one's interest. The one thing that it did good on for the series was perhaps the story, but it wasn't really enough to continue to captivate my interest. Expand
  26. Feb 5, 2015
    I played GTA:San Andreas for PS2 to death. That's why I'm disappointed with this game. I played it without the updates when I had no internet connection so maybe I'm talking about something that has been fixed (but I don't think so). I was strongly hoping that the amazing character that Rockstar created for this title was not going to fall into the same storyline plot of every GTA title.I played GTA:San Andreas for PS2 to death. That's why I'm disappointed with this game. I played it without the updates when I had no internet connection so maybe I'm talking about something that has been fixed (but I don't think so). I was strongly hoping that the amazing character that Rockstar created for this title was not going to fall into the same storyline plot of every GTA title. It wasn't the case. The plot was flat and it lacked thrilling elements. You can make some choices during the story but in no way you can alterate the flow of events, and, let's be honest, it's always the same criminal story featured in every GTA (but San Andreas, there was the "gang war" theme). There are still some fun features like the "get drunk" thing, or the mini games that you play in some locations (like bowling with Roman, you sure heard of that), but they removed all those things that really sticked me to the display for hours when playing San Andreas. Not a bad game after all, but it could have been made better, it's for games like this that people like me leaves a franchise, I have no interest in GTA5 and I will not buy it because of this game, try Sleeping Dogs instead! Expand
  27. Jan 16, 2015
    Después de Jugar a san andrea me parecio un poco malo.............................................................................................................................................
  28. Jan 6, 2016
    Whilst GTA IV had the recipe for one of the greatest games of all time, it couldn't really capture the magic a Grand Theft Auto game would truly need to excel. GTA IV was far too dark, the main character was one dimensional and the game simply lacked the vibrant world it had the potential to produce. Nevertheless, it provided a premise that could perhaps be fulfilled in later instalments.
  29. Oct 7, 2015
    GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas on the PS2 were some of the best games ever created. Beautiful graphics, excellent soundtrack, good gameplay...

GTA IV on the PS3 must be a huge step forward, right? Unfortunately that's wrong, GTA IV took almost all the fun out of previous instalments and replaced it with a boring game with bad controls. Especially the driving sucks big time (motorbikes!) and the shooting, which admittedly never was the strong point of GTA, is not much better.

The main character is uninteresting and the graphics are not colorful and rather bland. Everything looks kinda yellowish.

Luckily both DLC's (The Lost and Damned, and The Ballad of Gay Tony) are rumored to be much better than the main story of GTA IV.

But there is now an online feature, that will spice things up considerably, right? Not really, the online gameplay is not very good since the controls are so bad and you have to wait ages to get the game started.

With GTA IV Rockstar was trying to make their most popular game series more serious and realistic, but it ended up being just ugly and boring. Luckily GTA V (2013) put the series back on track, that game is beautiful and fun and in my opinion the best game on PS3 (although still with a lacking online game mode).

I rate GTA IV 6 out of 10.
  30. Feb 9, 2016
    GTA4 is nice game for xbox360 and ps3.
    Because pc version have gfwl and pc potting is awful.
    I can't save the game because focking gfwl.
    I played GTA4 with R9 270x, average frame is 55
    So,if you want to play GTA series, do another series

1. Grand Theft Auto IV is not a perfect game, but it is fantastic through and through, from start to finish and beyond. It is so massive, vast and impressive that it is almost mind-boggling to imagine how much work must have gone into the game to come up with so much detail.
  2. But GTA IV will never get old, or start repeating itself. It will always offer anyone who turns it on an experience to savour.
  3. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    GTA4 is a traditional crime story through and through, with a script that rarely strays from its purpose, a pitch-perfect supporting cast, and an expert combination of in-game storytelling and crafted cut-scenes. [June 2008, p.80]