7.5

1. Jun 12, 2014
    It may not be the best gta game but it is one of the best games I have ever played. Its got great graphics, great voice acting, so many memorable characters, good sound track, good realistic driving physics and one of the best stories I have ever seen in a videogame.
    But that doesn't mean the game doesn't have problems. Sometimes the framerate drops when the action gets too explosive, so many nice features from San Andreas and other previous gta games have been removed, its smaller than San Andreas and once you have finished the game there aren't a lot of fun activities to do but once you are in this situation you can always have fun with your friends using online multiplayer(just check out KYR Speedy's videos on youtube).
    My verdict is that even though its different from previous gta games its still a great game for current gen because of its graphics and physics but don't go into this game expecting it to find features from other gta games just play to experience the thrill of playing a gta game on a new gen of consoles.
  2. Mar 31, 2014
    Although GTA IV has nothing to do in the massive world, but its missions, story, planning for heists, these stuffs to do combine the fragments that builds up GTA IV from nothing to everything. To be more than really satisfied playing this game, "Don't put it in your mind, that I want every single store to be available" that wish tries to threaten your whole experience. Amazing, I see.
  3. Mar 17, 2014
    Grand Theft Auto is a series that is hard to review, simply because there's just as much wrong as there is right. However, this game is one that revives the old series. San Andreas became an instant classic, but there's no point in playing it anymore, and there wasn't another GTA game until this. GTA V is superior in every way, but when this released, Rockstar proved that they were capableGrand Theft Auto is a series that is hard to review, simply because there's just as much wrong as there is right. However, this game is one that revives the old series. San Andreas became an instant classic, but there's no point in playing it anymore, and there wasn't another GTA game until this. GTA V is superior in every way, but when this released, Rockstar proved that they were capable of making incredible games unlike any others. This game isn't perfect, but it was what Rockstar needed, and what fans wanted.
    Pros: -Story (this game actually has a decently involving and deep story, with some emotional and intense scenes)
    - Voice acting (Niko Bellic's voice actor did a stellar job in creating a Russian immigrant)
    - Open World (This game has a massive world, and every square inch can be explored)
    - Content (from races to sports, from collectibles to online mode, this game is a completionists dream come true)
    - Gameplay (Running into things to propel yourself out the window has never been so fun, as well as some great shooting controls)
    Cons: -Repetitive (The story and Side missions become repetitive, and trying to do them all becomes a chore. The majority of the quests involve killing a bunch of people, chasing someone down, or picking up an item and delivering it. They're manageable at first, but they become very bland)
    -Too much to do (seems like a pro, but is actually a con. There's too much stuff to keep on top of, from maintaining relationships with irritating characters to having to check emails at a coffee shop)
    - Glitches/bugs (The game is littered with glitches that hinder the experience, and even some major freezing issues that occurred more than once during my play time)
    Overall, the game was, and is, a fun adventure. However, it quickly becomes bland and irritating, and you're likely to move on to another game in a few weeks.
  4. May 4, 2014
    No game is perfect but this game is as close as it gets. At the same time this game is not without flaws. Gameplay: no checkpoints during missions whatsoever. Sound: in-car dialogues are kinda inaudible (good thing there are subtitles), also most radio stations are uninteresting. Graphics: low framerate, and actually one issue of this game is that it's literally too dark. Navigating atNo game is perfect but this game is as close as it gets. At the same time this game is not without flaws. Gameplay: no checkpoints during missions whatsoever. Sound: in-car dialogues are kinda inaudible (good thing there are subtitles), also most radio stations are uninteresting. Graphics: low framerate, and actually one issue of this game is that it's literally too dark. Navigating at night is pretty hard sometimes even at the highest brightness setting. Yet this game is the best PS3 game I've ever played (if not the best game overall) and is much superior to GTA V. Don't believe the negative reviews on this site. Unless your favourite game is Crazy Taxi you're gonna love driving in GTA IV compared to driving in GTA 5. This game is probably the best game I've ever played and it's well worth its fame. Expand
  5. Mar 29, 2014
    Grand Theft Auto IV ticks all the right boxes to be a great game, and it is still a great game even that GTA V came out less than a year ago. The story is brilliant, the voice actors and the characters.
  6. Jul 5, 2014
    Mind Blowing, even for today's standards. Rockstar gave us such a refined and detailed game with realistic characters and a vicious gameplay. And what's more exciting about GTA IV is running from the police, do you know what's like to have dozen of police cars and police choppers chasing you? Shooting at the police cars, while driving a car (or a motocycle), with an AK-47 or a 9mm? It'sMind Blowing, even for today's standards. Rockstar gave us such a refined and detailed game with realistic characters and a vicious gameplay. And what's more exciting about GTA IV is running from the police, do you know what's like to have dozen of police cars and police choppers chasing you? Shooting at the police cars, while driving a car (or a motocycle), with an AK-47 or a 9mm? It's f*cking exciting! The only small problem I had with this game is that after finishing the story, there's not much to do and it becomes boring. Expand
  7. May 1, 2014
    This game was great. But I would honestly rate it a 7.85
    1.I loved the driving even though it was boaty.
    2. The shootouts were intense. 3. The story line was tough. 4. The map... since I'm form new york, I would rate it 7.25 5. The annoying calls from roman I didn't like. 6. The graphics were great, for it's time. 7. The online was good at first, but it got so boring. 8.The fact
    This game was great. But I would honestly rate it a 7.85
    1.I loved the driving even though it was boaty.
    2. The shootouts were intense.
    3. The story line was tough.
    4. The map... since I'm form new york, I would rate it 7.25
    5. The annoying calls from roman I didn't like.
    6. The graphics were great, for it's time.
    7. The online was good at first, but it got so boring.
    8.The fact that I needed to buy the DLC's to use more things did get on my nerves.
    9. The ending was great.
    10 The overall single player when the missions were done was boring.

This is a great GTA. But is it better than GTA V or GTA SA no.
  8. Oct 28, 2014
    while there is nothing really wrong with the game from a technical point and its fun to shoot things and drive around it doesn't stop the 30 hour campaign from being absolutely boring and this has to be the blandest looking game i have seen for a while its definitely the blandest gta ever i would highly recommend the Ballard of gay tony over this or gta v of course because both of thosewhile there is nothing really wrong with the game from a technical point and its fun to shoot things and drive around it doesn't stop the 30 hour campaign from being absolutely boring and this has to be the blandest looking game i have seen for a while its definitely the blandest gta ever i would highly recommend the Ballard of gay tony over this or gta v of course because both of those provide a pretty good story with humor with gta IV has non of. Expand
  9. May 26, 2014
    It's really nice story and that car driving in game is so realistic, but graphic is not great, it's like "black and white" sometime...that's the only reason why i don't like GTA IV
  10. Jul 28, 2014
    2014, I played this on 360 upon release. PS3, my 3rd playthrough and this is still one of the best games of last generation consoles. Yes its clunky, the cars handle like ocean liners, the bikes are neigh on impossible to steer and Niko moves like he is wading hip deep through a Florida swamp. But all those little niggles cannot take away from on of my all time favourite games. I love2014, I played this on 360 upon release. PS3, my 3rd playthrough and this is still one of the best games of last generation consoles. Yes its clunky, the cars handle like ocean liners, the bikes are neigh on impossible to steer and Niko moves like he is wading hip deep through a Florida swamp. But all those little niggles cannot take away from on of my all time favourite games. I love the story, the double crosses, the playing for all sides, the characters. I love the grittiness, how they've captured Liberty City in is post 9/11 paranoia. The satire, how RockStar took trends current to the time and predicted what a farce the media, cell-phone culture and political correctness would get in the years since. After playing GTA 5 I can honestly same that GTA 4 is just as good for different reasons. Love it 10/10 Expand
  11. Jun 3, 2014
    Good game, but highly overrated in my opinion. Niko Bellic is an interesting character at first, but seems very monotonous and bland after some time. Other characters are forgettable due to no discernable trait. Driving is very frustrating and rage inducing during car chase sequences. Liberty City is very nice, but noticeably " copy and paste " after some time in the city. Controls areGood game, but highly overrated in my opinion. Niko Bellic is an interesting character at first, but seems very monotonous and bland after some time. Other characters are forgettable due to no discernable trait. Driving is very frustrating and rage inducing during car chase sequences. Liberty City is very nice, but noticeably " copy and paste " after some time in the city. Controls are sub-par and animations could have polished some more. In hindsight, the only redeeming quality is the DLC, both are very well done and offer much more than the base game. The game's problems with controls and driving wouldn't be noticeable if there was any form of checkpoint system in missions, instead you have to start from the beginning and painstakingly drive back to the area you died at. I think it doesn't deserves a 98, but it does deserve to be experienced at least once if you want to experience it for yourself.

Time did not do this game any favors, especially with how much Red Dead Redemption and GTA V have raised the standard expected of Rockstar games.
  12. Jun 20, 2014
    This game was and is far ahead of its time, it requires subtlety, patience and an attention to detail unlike any other game. First of all, I've put in well over 1500 hours into gta 4 and its two dlc's, so there are few if any gamers with as much experience in Liberty City as me. It's the first game that I played that the mature rating on the back dident just represent that there was bloodThis game was and is far ahead of its time, it requires subtlety, patience and an attention to detail unlike any other game. First of all, I've put in well over 1500 hours into gta 4 and its two dlc's, so there are few if any gamers with as much experience in Liberty City as me. It's the first game that I played that the mature rating on the back dident just represent that there was blood and fowl language, but rather that this form of media is best appriciated by mature individuals. Clearly a large number of you were not ready for a true mature experience based on the 7.5 user score, rather they wanted a San Andreas sequel. If you wanted a San Andreas sequel, PLAY SAINTS ROW, OR SLEEPING DOGS, they were created to occupy the cavity that San Andreas left in the gaming market! Sigh...
    Im a huge driving sim fan, and this is easily my favorite game to drive a car or moterbike in, the driving physics are impeccable. Ive owned every GT(Gran Turismo) and Forza game to date, so I have some experience. WAY too many people complain about the driving physics, saying its "too hard" or "too much body roll", if you drove your car at 100mph in oncoming traffic or around a hairpin turn in real life, you would most likely crash, so WHY should it be any different in a game thats attempting to simulate life as realistically as possible? Try driving at a reasonable speed, if you dont want to because thats "boring" then you should know that your attention span does not meet the required limit of this game, and that should tell you something about yourself, not this game.
    So after complaint after complaint after complaint , Rockstar felt they needed to cut almost every thing that differentiated GTA4 from San Andreas, Sleeping Dogs, and Saints Row. In GTA 5 The driving physics were completely scrapped for an arcade style that you can master in less than a day, catching any air in any vehicle is beyond comical, I literly laughed out loud when I saw that there is a moon gravity cheat, maybe my game is just stuck on moon gravity. The fighting Physics are GONE, ive never experienced a more unenjoyable fighting element in any game, (you square up, then throw right hand haymakers that glitch across 10 feet of open ground and KO the peson in 1 to 2 hits...and the AI can throw the same scripted punch that can glitch across 10 feet). They called it GTA 5(which I beleve it should have been callled San Andreas 2 because GTA 3 brought a major change in the form of 3d graphics, GTA 4 brought a major change in that it was the first on PS3, Xbox 360, and greatly stepped up the graphics from San Andreas. What exactly was the major change GTA5 brought? An ability to switch between 3 protagonists? Graphically speaking it looks great, but the jump from San Andreas to GTA4 was far greater. It seems like Rockstar was saving the numbers for truly ground breaking titles, then got lazy, and now im sure the next GTA will me named GTA 6). I remember arguing with my parent about the negative perception of the grand theft auto games, GTA 4 was the first time I felt I had a valid argument that GTA wasent only about sex, drugs, and ultra violence. You could enjoy the many physics systems interacting with eachother in perfect harmony(at least I could). I can no longer defend the GTA series, because now it seems like the game includes profanity and violence just for the sake of profanity and violence, I mean Niko was an interesting, deep character, while Trevor is just a psycopath who rapes any and everything that moves. My favorite thing about GTA 5 is that its motto or message is "the pursuit of the almighty dollar" its the ultimate joke at the consumes expence, its Rockstar who is pursuing your money, get it?
    In conclusion GTA 4 is the greatst media I have ever experienced, and was so great that I was convinced GTA 5 was going to be the greatest thing ever, I WAS WRONG.
    ps- I GLADLY welcome somebody with opposing beliefs to challenge any of the points I made, (as long as you coherently state your points in a non confrontational manner).
  13. Jul 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best game ever!The best open-world game ever with good graphics quality,plot and city!You will be absolutely enjoy playing this game!Don't miss it! Expand
  14. Jul 15, 2014
    What can I say besides the fact that Grand Theft Auto is a great series of games. From the glamorous skirts of Vice city, to the wealthy city of individuals in San Andreas, too the concrete economy ridden streets of Liberty City, all the games made by Rockstar is just amazing. Grand Theft Auto 4 was one of the better games of the city. The game captures the struggling streets of LibertyWhat can I say besides the fact that Grand Theft Auto is a great series of games. From the glamorous skirts of Vice city, to the wealthy city of individuals in San Andreas, too the concrete economy ridden streets of Liberty City, all the games made by Rockstar is just amazing. Grand Theft Auto 4 was one of the better games of the city. The game captures the struggling streets of Liberty City as if it were right in front of me. The game takes place in modern 2008, which in my opinion, had the most unique and creative setting out of all the Grand Theft Auto games! Since I come from where the game takes place, I am able to better understand the struggles of main character Niko Bellic, and the hardships of other pedestrians, begging for spare change. Besides all this however, the game lacks in a few things. The NPC's AI is terrible, in many ways. From running into you, too driving their car furiously into your back bumper at a red light, all pedestrians take the "the city that doesn't sleep" phrase way too seriously. And speaking of cars, the driving mechanics in this game is flat out awful. It's as if your driving a monster truck on ice. A lot of uncalled frustration occurs from these driving mechanics. Also, the storyline sometimes became a major confusion, and often trailed away from my interest in it. But let's not nitpick here, Grand Theft Auto 4 has an enjoyable playlist of music, great characters, good graphics, awesome shooting mechanics... etc. Overall, I love this game, and you should too. Expand
  15. Sep 10, 2014
    This game is very good if not even excellent but not perfect. Few problems in game are the new physics (Not a big problem, and it is something new so we have to give the slack), and the voice actor. Maybe it is a bigger problem for me because I am from part of the world that the main character is, but I just don't find his "native" language to be good and for me it is an issue, but beyondThis game is very good if not even excellent but not perfect. Few problems in game are the new physics (Not a big problem, and it is something new so we have to give the slack), and the voice actor. Maybe it is a bigger problem for me because I am from part of the world that the main character is, but I just don't find his "native" language to be good and for me it is an issue, but beyond that it is a great game. Expand
  16. Aug 8, 2014
    Worst game in the Franchises history. I was having fun for about the first 12 hours and then I got bored. I had to force myself to pick it back up just to beat it. NOTHING to do after the story mode, ZERO replay value.
  17. Aug 23, 2014
    This game is big and full of glitches. I love GTA but this game is hard to play. The controls and camera angle make this game very frustrating. With a little more focus on the basic game play this game could have been great. Compared to GTA 5 this game sucks. Compared to previous and new GTA games this game is at the bottom. The story and Characters are fine but game play is horrible.
  18. Sep 20, 2014
    This game is overrated. Reasons? This game has done nothing new for the series as a whole, nor was it too interesting. GTA San Andreas was much better, brought a lot more to this game series and was actually pretty fun because it felt more immersive. I'm actually not sure what feeling of accomplishment or fun that I should be deriving from this game because all you are looking for isThis game is overrated. Reasons? This game has done nothing new for the series as a whole, nor was it too interesting. GTA San Andreas was much better, brought a lot more to this game series and was actually pretty fun because it felt more immersive. I'm actually not sure what feeling of accomplishment or fun that I should be deriving from this game because all you are looking for is either money, weapons, or cars. Not something that big of a deal considering all you are going to do with that is either kill for more money, weapons, or cars and the gameplay is not that great or fun enough to keep one's interest. The one thing that it did good on for the series was perhaps the story, but it wasn't really enough to continue to captivate my interest. Expand
  19. Oct 5, 2014
    I played this game after I had already beaten GTA V and I have to say that I was not disappointed. GTA IV had a great story (better than 5 in my opinion), and great gameplay and missions. Though I thought the graphics weren't the best, if I had played the game when it originally came out in 2008, I would have been very impressed. I only had a couple of issues with the game. One being thatI played this game after I had already beaten GTA V and I have to say that I was not disappointed. GTA IV had a great story (better than 5 in my opinion), and great gameplay and missions. Though I thought the graphics weren't the best, if I had played the game when it originally came out in 2008, I would have been very impressed. I only had a couple of issues with the game. One being that it was very dark in some missions and even when I adjusted the brightness, it was still hard to see what to do or where to go. Also, there were some glitches and bugs, but none of these issues took away from my overall experience with the game. I spent about 26 hours to beat the game and I would advise that anyone who likes open world, hilariously written, violent and vulgar games, should get this game. It is a masterpiece. Expand
  20. Oct 7, 2014
    Most overrated game of all time. How can this be highest rated game on PS3? This game sucks hard Grand Theft Auto San Andreas is 5 times batter the only improvement are graphics.
  21. Feb 5, 2015
    I played GTA:San Andreas for PS2 to death. That's why I'm disappointed with this game. I played it without the updates when I had no internet connection so maybe I'm talking about something that has been fixed (but I don't think so). I was strongly hoping that the amazing character that Rockstar created for this title was not going to fall into the same storyline plot of every GTA title.I played GTA:San Andreas for PS2 to death. That's why I'm disappointed with this game. I played it without the updates when I had no internet connection so maybe I'm talking about something that has been fixed (but I don't think so). I was strongly hoping that the amazing character that Rockstar created for this title was not going to fall into the same storyline plot of every GTA title. It wasn't the case. The plot was flat and it lacked thrilling elements. You can make some choices during the story but in no way you can alterate the flow of events, and, let's be honest, it's always the same criminal story featured in every GTA (but San Andreas, there was the "gang war" theme). There are still some fun features like the "get drunk" thing, or the mini games that you play in some locations (like bowling with Roman, you sure heard of that), but they removed all those things that really sticked me to the display for hours when playing San Andreas. Not a bad game after all, but it could have been made better, it's for games like this that people like me leaves a franchise, I have no interest in GTA5 and I will not buy it because of this game, try Sleeping Dogs instead! Expand
  22. Oct 19, 2014
    What does the American Dream mean today? For Niko Belic, fresh off the boat from Europe. It's the hope he can escape his past. For his cousin, Roman, it is the vision that together they can find fortune in Liberty City, gateway to the land of opportunity. As they slip into debt and are dragged into a criminal underworld by a series of shysters, thieves and sociopaths, they discover thatWhat does the American Dream mean today? For Niko Belic, fresh off the boat from Europe. It's the hope he can escape his past. For his cousin, Roman, it is the vision that together they can find fortune in Liberty City, gateway to the land of opportunity. As they slip into debt and are dragged into a criminal underworld by a series of shysters, thieves and sociopaths, they discover that the reality is very different from the dream in a city that worships money and status, and is heaven for those who have them an a living nightmare for those who don't. Expand
  23. Jan 16, 2015
    Despu├ęs de Jugar a san andrea me parecio un poco malo.............................................................................................................................................
  24. Jan 18, 2015
    First of all this is a great game in a great serie, no arguying there, but for me it did not feel as alive as some of the others, especially Vice City, which are my favourite. Some of the mission just did not feel that exciting to me, maybe because it is similar to the other gta games and It did not feel fresh anymore.
    I enjoyed it, but the story, the graphics and some of the mission
    I enjoyed it, but the story, the graphics and some of the mission where not top notch, so therefore I would give this game a 8/8.5.
  25. Jan 20, 2015
    I cannot believe the 98 meta score. Ridiculous. Probably the worst GTA there is. Boring repetitive missions, boring characters except maybe for brucie. Driving and getting around just feels tedious. Gameplay = clunky and unintutitive. might not be a bad game if all you want to do is run around shooting random people and crashing cars ignoring the characters, plot, missions etc. Even thenI cannot believe the 98 meta score. Ridiculous. Probably the worst GTA there is. Boring repetitive missions, boring characters except maybe for brucie. Driving and getting around just feels tedious. Gameplay = clunky and unintutitive. might not be a bad game if all you want to do is run around shooting random people and crashing cars ignoring the characters, plot, missions etc. Even then it's only mediocre and not much different than previous GTAs. Bad game, horribly overrated. Expand
  26. Feb 22, 2015
    I can't find the words to say how Grand Theft Auto IV is a great game. Brilliantly and beautifully.

"We're all looking for that special someone." (Niko Bellic)
  27. Mar 22, 2015
    I'll be the first to admit that I don't appreciate the use of drugs and/or sexual content found in the game but Grand Theft Auto IV does thankfully improve over III massively. The open world and narrative are amazing and it seems as though a lot of work was put into designing such an intricate game. Open world is always something I love in games with this one not disappointing one bit. TheI'll be the first to admit that I don't appreciate the use of drugs and/or sexual content found in the game but Grand Theft Auto IV does thankfully improve over III massively. The open world and narrative are amazing and it seems as though a lot of work was put into designing such an intricate game. Open world is always something I love in games with this one not disappointing one bit. The combat's a huge improvement with its fluidity and swift controls. This installment in the GTA franchise isn't to be missed. Expand

1. Grand Theft Auto IV is not a perfect game, but it is fantastic through and through, from start to finish and beyond. It is so massive, vast and impressive that it is almost mind-boggling to imagine how much work must have gone into the game to come up with so much detail.
  2. But GTA IV will never get old, or start repeating itself. It will always offer anyone who turns it on an experience to savour.
  3. GTA4 is a traditional crime story through and through, with a script that rarely strays from its purpose, a pitch-perfect supporting cast, and an expert combination of in-game storytelling and crafted cut-scenes. [June 2008, p.80]