7.5

1. May 12, 2011
    What happened?!? How did this go so wrong??? I was so unbelievably excited about this game, and I thought for the first 5 minutes that it would be as great as I had always hoped... and then it just wasn't. I can't particularly put my finger on an exact reason why... I'm going to blame GTA san andreas, which just set my hopes so high. Sure GTAIV has a great story line, interestingWhat happened?!? How did this go so wrong??? I was so unbelievably excited about this game, and I thought for the first 5 minutes that it would be as great as I had always hoped... and then it just wasn't. I can't particularly put my finger on an exact reason why... I'm going to blame GTA san andreas, which just set my hopes so high. Sure GTAIV has a great story line, interesting characters (If a little stereotypical and annoying) and sometimes fun gameplay... but I've seen it all before and I didn't get sucked into the world in the same way I have in previous iterations. No customisation, a bland city with such a small amount of variety....... How did it go downhill so much from SA??? Overall I think this is a fun game, but one of the most over-rated of all time. Expand
  2. Oct 2, 2010
    After playing GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas it was hard to imagine being swept away again by another GTA game but man does this game deliver. The story, the characters, the setting and the game world are so well crafted and put together it's nice to see some developers still take time to prepare their works and not just milk a franchise with yearly releases.
  3. May 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GAMEPLAY:

Grand Theft Auto is renowned for having a sandbox, complete with a plethora of distractions like socializing and dating, going to clubs, bars, strip-clubs and just having a good time in game. You will definitely find a hard time getting bored in Liberty City, which is a whole different story. The city itself is huge, and at any glance no matter what burrow looks like Rockstar’s imagining of NYC but in their own GTA world.
    Combat at first glance may seem to be tricky but eventually you will get a handle on the combat system. The melee system consists of several different attacks that when used in different combinations can prove to be effective against the opponent. Gunfights can be a little boring but when in a large skirmish with the cops or online against waves of enemies will make lasting memories.

Perhaps the finest points of combat in the game though is in the cars. There is nothing in the game that compares to doing a drive-by shooting or firing at the cops during a high-speed chase. Vehicular combat was fine-tuned perfectly that allows the player(s) to engage in awesome shoot outs on the road, no matter what the vehicle is... from a moped to an armored truck.
    Driving is easy, with basic controls for ALL vehicles though it may be hard to grasp the comfort of driving boats and aircraft. Perhaps the hardest vehicle to drive though are the motorcycles, they have a very high speed, horrible handling, and will pretty much launch you if you hit ANYTHING at a high velocity. Just another taste of reality but don’t expect to be a pro motorcyclist or pilot right off.

SOUND/MUSIC:

The game’s radio soundtrack is very unique and a lot of the songs fit well in not just the game but the story. Players can choose from an array of music like rock, hip-hop, rap, techno, and even talk shows. The citizens of liberty city all have very different personalities, and voices, Rockstar did a good job making the non-essential NPC’s seem unique.
    Other than the radio stations in the cars in the game, the game doesn’t have an “epic score” or an everlasting soundtrack that will have you streaming the web to listen to. But overall the sound quality of the guns, the people, the cars, and even the ambience really polish this game up and show how Rockstar games tried to make this game as realistic as possible.

STORY:
    You play as Niko Bellic an eastern-european (it is never really made clear where Nikos is from) who just moved from his homeland to Liberty City. The game takes off with you joining your cousin Roman who has made himself a nice little taxi business that he calls the beginning of the “american dream”. Over the course of the game Niko has to fight bikers, russians, gangsters, and cops... when suddenly his past catches up with him.
    The plot spans from Niko going “from the streets of Liberty City to the skyline of wealth”. As the player helps different factions and crime lords, Niko himself finds out that America is no different than the very war and the troubling past he has suffered.

ENGINE:

Grand Theft Auto 4’s engine isn’t special by “today’s standards”. There are few bugs, but even the ones in game can turn out to be quite funny or amusing. Online gameplay is really great, and unique. Until Grand Theft Auto 5 comes out, Grand Theft Auto 4’s engine alongside Red Dead Redemption HAVE TO BE Rockstar’s finest works.
  4. Jul 27, 2013
    +first few missions are fun +its fun to drive, even with the horrible vehiclecontrol -Horrible Vehiclecontrol -Horrible Shootingmechanics -Bad graphics, even for 2008 -Boring Story -Only Hacker/Cheater in Multiplayer -Multiplayer is very bad designed. You need like 10 minutes to get in a game -Bad Police/Crimesystem: Police will come after you, even if they never saw you doing the crime+first few missions are fun +its fun to drive, even with the horrible vehiclecontrol -Horrible Vehiclecontrol -Horrible Shootingmechanics -Bad graphics, even for 2008 -Boring Story -Only Hacker/Cheater in Multiplayer -Multiplayer is very bad designed. You need like 10 minutes to get in a game -Bad Police/Crimesystem: Police will come after you, even if they never saw you doing the crime
    -No other environment than the City.

Sorry, but 98 is just ridicolous. Im a huge GTA fan, but this GTA is not good in my opinion
  5. Nov 10, 2010
    This game is the most overrated ever, the gun sounds sound fake, they swear all the time, the game seems a bit goofy, you can hardly enter any buildings and there just isnt much to do. What a bore
  6. Jul 19, 2011
    This game is one of the best sandbox games ever. Not the best, but one of the best. Grand Theft Auto IV is fun. Just fun. Pure fun. Though sometimes you may get bored, there still is a billion things to do. The city is so alive and the graphics are great, the car damage is one of the best in any sandbox video game. The handling of the cars, I admit, is not so great. They're just so hard toThis game is one of the best sandbox games ever. Not the best, but one of the best. Grand Theft Auto IV is fun. Just fun. Pure fun. Though sometimes you may get bored, there still is a billion things to do. The city is so alive and the graphics are great, the car damage is one of the best in any sandbox video game. The handling of the cars, I admit, is not so great. They're just so hard to control, they sway left and right and it sometimes it's incredibly frustrating. The other vehicles besides motorbikes are fine, the main problem is the cars and bikes. The characters and kooky and the is a lot of vulgar language but the story and characters are very interesting. The game is flawed, it isn't perfect but there is tonnes of fun to be had in Liberty City. Expand
  7. Nov 27, 2011
    Despite its reputation as a controversial yet excellent game, this game has a good and a bad side. The good side of GTA IV is: (1) the improved graphics from the previous GTA games, (2) its addition of realism, (3) the goofy yet awkward reactions from Liberty City people and the LCPD, (4) The rampages and massacres in LC add the fun to the game, (5) GTA IV has a story with multiple endingsDespite its reputation as a controversial yet excellent game, this game has a good and a bad side. The good side of GTA IV is: (1) the improved graphics from the previous GTA games, (2) its addition of realism, (3) the goofy yet awkward reactions from Liberty City people and the LCPD, (4) The rampages and massacres in LC add the fun to the game, (5) GTA IV has a story with multiple endings and plot twists, and (6), Playing as an immigrant from Yugoslavia is quite unique in the GTA games. However, there is a bad side to GTA IV, and they are: (1) Less weapons unlike in San Andreas, (2) Less appealing automobiles and more mediocre cars, (3) The friend system with the cell phone can get annoying at times, especially when friends abruptly call you while you are still busy orchestrating an epic massacre in LC, (4) Survivng and escaping feuds against police is too easy when compared to previous GTA games, (5) Less accessible buildings than what players had expected, (6) the camera focusing on the player can get awkward sometimes, and (7), the most important drawback to GTA IV is that the campaign missions are repetitive and can get boring as you play the campaign again. This is evidenced by lack of mission uniqueness and missions virtually involve driving to the specific place then kill person A. Despite the drawbacks of the game, I still find GTA IV as fun and decent unlike the previous GTA games. Expand
  8. Oct 13, 2012
    GTA IV is more than a game. It's an experience that goes way beyond button bashing your controller. The story is magnificent but no surprises here. Everyone knows that Rockstar usually nails in this department. Technically the game is flawless for the common gamer (if there's any glitch didn't see it). Not a fan of the Multiplayer though. Other than this GTA IV will remain in gamersGTA IV is more than a game. It's an experience that goes way beyond button bashing your controller. The story is magnificent but no surprises here. Everyone knows that Rockstar usually nails in this department. Technically the game is flawless for the common gamer (if there's any glitch didn't see it). Not a fan of the Multiplayer though. Other than this GTA IV will remain in gamers memory as a reference and it will be benchmarked by everyone. Expand
  9. May 4, 2013
    An average story, with actually not that good characters, the graphics are decent, the gameplay is good with a lot of guns and the normal stuff on a GTA game but unfortunately not much else. It's average GTA game, not the best but not the worst either.
  10. Jul 13, 2013
    It's a great game overall. Maybe it's a little bit too realistic. I wanted to see a little bit of unrealism in it. I also think that the game is overrated. Like I said, it's a great game, but previous GTA games were better in some ways. So, 8/10
  11. Aug 28, 2013
    Rockstar has been making the exact same game ever since GTA3 came out on PS2. Why are people acting like GTA4 is something different? It’s not, except for two things: it’s on a new generation of consoles and is actually worse than GTA3.

First off: anyone praising the graphics is blind or has never played a video game before this one. Textures are muddled, colors are drab, environments are bland, all of which combines to make it difficult to see where you are and where you’re going.

Second: they jacked up the driving physics of the game so now it feels like everything is moving underwater. Turns that used to be simple now send you sliding into walls, which gets frustrating given the large number of slow, crappy cars you seem to be forced to drive in this game.

Third: the stale mission-structured gameplay is exactly the same as it was over 10 years ago. It’s so tedious now. You get a mission giver, you have to drive across town to start the mission, then you have to drive to your mission destination, then back to your house if you want to keep your car. Fail the mission and you have to start the commute again. They have even added in “features” like toll booths now, which create traffic on bridges that honestly make you feel like you are commuting to work because if you charge through them you get an automatic wanted rating.

Oh, and did I mention something about keeping a car you want available? Well, in this game they decided to do away with garages for some reason. You know: the places you used to be able to store vehicles. Now your various pads with have one or two parallel parking spaces out in the middle of the AI-trafficked street and if you park a car there *perfectly* it will be saved. However, if it’s a big car or if the AI traffic knocks it slightly out of place, it will be gone when you reload.

Possibly the most annoying new “feature” of this series is the dating mini-games. You can hang out with certain people to increase their affection toward you, which reaps you certain benefits, but then ALL of them CONSTANTLY call you to hang out, even if you’re in the middle of a mission getting chased by the cops, or in the middle of commuting to do your next mission, or commuting home from your last mission. Whatever. And if you tell them no, even if it’s your own cousin asking you to go bowling again, though you just went bowling with him two days ago, he will get upset and you’ll lose affection. You can’t tell them no.

Also, Liberty City is big but incredibly empty. You will not be rewarded for exploring b/c there is simply not much out there. Instead of secret packages to collect, this time around you have to kill special pigeons, which are very frustrating to find even with the help of a guide. I got to about 20 or so before I asked myself why the hell I was doing it, because I wasn’t having any fun.

Finally, the “story” I keep seeing so many positive reviews refer to is stupid & nonsensical. You’re an illegal alien who begins a career as a professional criminal as soon as you step off the boat. Not much different from any other GTA protagonist aside from not already being a US citizen, right? Except now you’re Borat. AMAZING! There IS NO story! You’re a criminal who makes friends with other criminals throughout the game and then commits criminal acts. *spoiler*

Furthermore, while there may well be 20 hours’ worth of cutscenes (which tend to go on forever) & dialogue (which also never ends during your mission commutes with NPCs), it seems like it was all written by a 10-year old boy. Penis & fart jokes, characters needlessly dropping f-bombs twice a sentence to be “edgy” (I guess), and all-around lame humor in general that makes you roll your eyes and want to skip through every cutscene you come across. Unless you are a 10-year old boy, in which case I guess you’d be in heaven. Maybe that’s the targeted demographic now?

But Rockstar will keep making the same game as long as sheep keep buying it. Anyone who wants to see what an improvement in this genre looks like, I’d direct you toward Saints Row the Third. Not the best game ever, but one that is actually, you know, “fun” to play. Something Rockstar left out of GTA4.
  12. Oct 24, 2013
    How do you morons like this game. It is gloomy and the cars make walking become fun because they suckkkkkkkk. Give this game to someone obese and they will walk to return it.
  13. Dec 22, 2012
    When I first played Gta IV I was instantly hooked. The atmosphere in the game was amazing. Missions were addictive, story was nice. there were many memorable characters and funny laughs. I rented this at first and played it for 22 hour then re-rented it and played it for 24 more hours and beat the game. This game is my 2nd favourite sandbox of all time and this game is awesome. The flaws IWhen I first played Gta IV I was instantly hooked. The atmosphere in the game was amazing. Missions were addictive, story was nice. there were many memorable characters and funny laughs. I rented this at first and played it for 22 hour then re-rented it and played it for 24 more hours and beat the game. This game is my 2nd favourite sandbox of all time and this game is awesome. The flaws I had with the game were the predictable missions. But none the less, an awesome game 9/10 Expand
  14. Mar 31, 2012
    2011:
    2011:
    I loved GTA III, Vice City was one of my favs, I felt that san andreas was losing a little from its sights, and now GTA iv. Well, the game wasn't all that engaging actually after all is said and done. Sure there are some great moments, the story and characters are very well done as always, but for me the game was almost too overwelhming. Things like having a girlfriend, checking email, going out, tended to add to much, which luckily it is all optional, but it still feels like your missing out if not doing these things. The car physics were horrid, never could drive it. I miss the old GTA, especially vice city, remember the stolen car lists, the taxi, vigilante, ect. missions. These were the side missions that i thought were good and not a distraction like in Gta iv. I didn't walk away impressed with the game.
  15. Jun 7, 2013
    I hate giving 0's but theres something about this game. Its playability is minimal nevermind the concept of replayability. Graphically it's a treat, that aside, it's mediocre.
  16. Aug 15, 2013
    One of the few PS3 games I just couldn't finish. The storyline didn't grab me at all, and the characters were as dull as dishwater. But the *real* problem I had with this game, ironically enough, is that it was TOO realistic. Travelling from one mission to the next was a time-consuming chore, and one I had to repeat way too often if I failed a mission. Then the minutia of things likeOne of the few PS3 games I just couldn't finish. The storyline didn't grab me at all, and the characters were as dull as dishwater. But the *real* problem I had with this game, ironically enough, is that it was TOO realistic. Travelling from one mission to the next was a time-consuming chore, and one I had to repeat way too often if I failed a mission. Then the minutia of things like dating had me restless. I tried, thinking that it would eventually click for me, but while the environment was technically impressive, I found that the game wasn't the kind of escapist entertainment I play video games for. I even tried the DLC to see if those picked up the pace, and I just flat wasn't having fun.

I know some folks love it, and that's great. It just wasn't the right game for me.
  17. May 27, 2013
    So, another boring turd wrapped in pretty graphics. Gone are the fun, arcady driving mechanics, replaced by cars that handle like horizontal freezers on wheels. Gone are the mini-games that provides hours of fun distractions. The fun content in previous incarnations has been replaced by a boring dating sim, and predominately boring shooting missions. The characters are flat outSo, another boring turd wrapped in pretty graphics. Gone are the fun, arcady driving mechanics, replaced by cars that handle like horizontal freezers on wheels. Gone are the mini-games that provides hours of fun distractions. The fun content in previous incarnations has been replaced by a boring dating sim, and predominately boring shooting missions. The characters are flat out obnoxious in my opinion. Tommy Vercetti was friggin' cool, Bellic is a pansy by comparison.
    It's great as a tech demo. I can't fault Rockstar for getting the detail of the city down, but it just feels there's less to do. It's a crazily detailed city, but hell you can't even Vigilante in this one.
    I hope GTA V isn't just another tech demo like this one was.
  18. Feb 7, 2014
    Despite the public opinion about violence in the GTA series, one can say this game is worthy of many praises. Firstly, it does not show a power-hungry as the protagonist, but a troubled man, disillusioned by corruption in society, despite his involvement in it. This makes the game much deeper and emotionally involving than the previous installment, GTA San Andreas. Although the designs ofDespite the public opinion about violence in the GTA series, one can say this game is worthy of many praises. Firstly, it does not show a power-hungry as the protagonist, but a troubled man, disillusioned by corruption in society, despite his involvement in it. This makes the game much deeper and emotionally involving than the previous installment, GTA San Andreas. Although the designs of the buildings and vehicles are lackluster and mundane, the personalities of the characters fill the void left by the lack of any creative design in the game. The character-driven plot of this installment is a gem among all of the other installments in the GTA series. Expand
  19. Oct 18, 2012
    The first time I played GTA was at the age of seven when GTA was released back in 1997. In my humble opinion GTA IV is a huge step forward, but in another view, a step back.

+ More mature and interesting storyline + Drastically improved driving physics and vehicle damage + A living, breathing city + Huge city - Repetitive and sometimes uninspired mission design (Go to A, shoot 10

+ More mature and interesting storyline
    + Drastically improved driving physics and vehicle damage
    + A living, breathing city
    + Huge city

- Repetitive and sometimes uninspired mission design (Go to A, shoot 10 people, go to B)
    - To much blur and an awfull blue tint
    - Lack of interesting features outside of the storyline (clubs, barbershops, car dealerships etc.)
    - Lack of safehouses

While some of these missing features was added i TBoGT many of them should have been in the game in the first place. I like the serious tone GTA IV story has, but the problem is, that outside of the story, the game often becomes repetetive and dull. There is simply not enough features; clubs, more races, drug deals, golf etc. Mission design is quite poor and the creativity (not talking about over-the-top action in TbOGT) is somehow diluted, and the game almost have the same mission design as in GTA III: Go there, kill a few people, go back.
  20. Nov 9, 2011
    Overrated. I can't believe how high of score this gets, this is the worst GTA game. The world may be huge, but it's uninspired. The characters are dull. The controls are horrible. Even though you can get this for cheap, just pick up San Andreas on PS2 instead.
  21. Apr 6, 2013
    This game is too over rated.
    98? No... This game, as a GTA, is disappointing. And very much. This game is basic. Yeah, it may have be liked by critics because it was sandbox, but, yeah, nothing more. It has a good amount of bugs and lags, and all the things you can do are bugged. At least on PS3 and PC. I don't know on XBOX360.
    I'm sorry... but as I love GTA:SA, I hate GTA:IV. It is
    This game is too over rated.

I'm sorry... but as I love GTA:SA, I hate GTA:IV. It is not GTA. Do we want to talk about the story? It is definitely one of the most boring and lame stories in videogames history. IMO.

Well, I think that I'm generous giving it a 3.
  22. Nov 30, 2011
    This is the most over rated game ever. REALLY 98? User score tells more about this game... This is like every other GTA, boring after few days. Rockstar has paid for those 100 metascore givers.
  23. Mar 17, 2012
    I really don't see why this game has gotten so many perfect scores, it's a great game but it is definitely not perfect. I thought the story was really good, Nico is a really interesting character but there are too many characters. Throughout the game you meet so many people and it makes it hard to follow the story sometimes, however most of these characters are pretty cool. The gameplayI really don't see why this game has gotten so many perfect scores, it's a great game but it is definitely not perfect. I thought the story was really good, Nico is a really interesting character but there are too many characters. Throughout the game you meet so many people and it makes it hard to follow the story sometimes, however most of these characters are pretty cool. The gameplay has been improved but it's still far from perfect, the cover system gets really awkward in tight spaces so its easy to end up dying because of it and the driving, while very enjoyable for the most part, has its problems when you have to chase someone. These flaws could easily be forgiven if there were checkpoints in the missions but for some reason Rockstar have decided that it would be better to have to restart the entire mission every time you fail! When you throw in the flaws with the controls it can get very frustrating! Its not all bad though, if you just want to travel round the city and have fun stealing cars and beating people up, you'll have a great time, the free roam aspect of this game is nailed brilliantly and the amount of things that there are today boggles the mind. The multiplayer, while not extremely addictive, is pretty good as long as you're playing with plenty of people. This game shows its problems when you're trying to play the story line, don't get me wrong its not a bad game, i enjoyed quite alot of it, but there are many problems that I can not over look. Expand
  24. Apr 6, 2013
    GTA IV is such an utter disappointment i was just sad as a long time fan of GTA since PS2 days the series is really messed up now just like Metal Gear Solid the only way to fix these problems is to stop making games first of all im really shocked about how it got so many 10/10's for such a sh**ty game rockstar must have bribed these greedy a*****es for these reviews
  25. Aug 27, 2011
    Completely overrated. I stopped playing after two hours because every mission was a variation of "follow me while i talk to and then kill some people I don't like". Also, the game mechanics are crap, because every time I want to shoot someone, the crosshair is automatically pointed at and locked on the nearest person's torso, making headshots and other things impossible to make. InCompletely overrated. I stopped playing after two hours because every mission was a variation of "follow me while i talk to and then kill some people I don't like". Also, the game mechanics are crap, because every time I want to shoot someone, the crosshair is automatically pointed at and locked on the nearest person's torso, making headshots and other things impossible to make. In addition, the story is never fleshed out. Niko is here to find some person, but that is never pursued, and he seems to be trying to be legit, but that never happens. GTA 4 is imbalanced and boring, and is easily one of the worst games I have every played. Expand
  26. Dec 19, 2012
    The foundations for a next-gen GTA are there. Unfortunately, the content simply isn't anywhere near enough in the single player to class this as an open-world action-adventure. It's more of a linear shooter. The biggest failure in GTA history, but not a bad game in itself. Quality is high in all departments. What's there is really top notch - the cars, driving physics, combat system,The foundations for a next-gen GTA are there. Unfortunately, the content simply isn't anywhere near enough in the single player to class this as an open-world action-adventure. It's more of a linear shooter. The biggest failure in GTA history, but not a bad game in itself. Quality is high in all departments. What's there is really top notch - the cars, driving physics, combat system, facial detail, lighting... I could go on. My issue is with the things that are missing - which is variety, side missions, RPG elements, fun factor. I can see why this game has sold well- if you've never played a video game then this is the best place to start. Otherwise it's so repetitive, simple and mundane that you don't really appreciate the frightening attention to detail. All the little things have been rigourosly worked on, but this game has almost no ambition at all. It's basically a generation upgrade from GTA III, nothing more, nothing less. Expand
  27. Sep 17, 2012
    A departure from the series. Everything that made GTA memorable was lost, and I mean everything; from the dark, quirky humour, to the popular culture references, to the things we have come to associate with GTA... **** as weapons, jetpacks, miniguns, flamethrowers, gangs, planes, prostitutes, storming mansions. All gone, and in its place we have a very serious, stern and boring experienceA departure from the series. Everything that made GTA memorable was lost, and I mean everything; from the dark, quirky humour, to the popular culture references, to the things we have come to associate with GTA... **** as weapons, jetpacks, miniguns, flamethrowers, gangs, planes, prostitutes, storming mansions. All gone, and in its place we have a very serious, stern and boring experience that tries to prop itself up with good graphics and driving mechanics. This game is not fun. No nostalgia whatsoever. I do not associate this game with Vice City or San Andreas. Niko is the most forgettable video game character of all time. Nothing on Tommy Vercetti. Expand
  28. Apr 7, 2013
    I love this game is perfect everything is just awesome in every department the story the graphics, the gameplay is just perfect the general vibe that the game ends up giving you all together with the freedom it deserves a ten cause it's perfect
  29. Jul 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here is a summary for those who don’t want to read the whole review (the review contains spoilers).
    +Very Strong Opening
    + (At the time it was released) Good Graphics, but that is not worth shouting about as graphics quickly become out of date.
    +Mini games (e.g. bowling) are well pulled off.
    -Very repetitive missions, with next to no variety making the game boring, as you go to a location kill someone/or collect something, 50 times.
    -Virtually no customisation, which makes your character feel no different from start to finish, reducing the level of fun.
    -Very annoying aspects like terrible driving.
    -Boring combat
    -Very average story, with limited variety.

In short buy Saints Row 2, Sleeping Dogs or even Gta San Andreas, these games are far superior, and are more fun. Gta 4 is worth a rental at most.

Full Review
    The start of the game is very strong, as you become immersed in wanting to find out about Niko Bellic and how he struggles to find the “American Dream”. The graphics (at the time it was released) were of good quality, giving the game the look of a next generation grand theft auto game.

However you quickly realise that the game falls flat on nearly every level.

One of the annoyances of the game you will notice very quickly is the driving, which while fun at first, proves to be a dump on your front door step. This is because all vehicles feel very similar and under steer like or if you apply too much throttle over steer like they were on ice. The use of toll gates and crashing every five seconds resulting in you falling out the windscreen, only serve as the bits of sweet corn in the dump on your door step. Such a terrible driving system, further serves as a reminder of how much Rockstar have removed from San Andreas, because the driving in that was insane and FUN.

Another annoyance is how there is nothing to spend your money making it pointless. Unlike in previous games where you could buy property and businesses making you feel like a bad ass overlord, in Gta 4, you can buy clothes, a few guns (less than you could get in Gta San Andreas) and food. This is something you will notice as it adds to the lack of depth in Niko, as his primary motive is money, yet he can’t spend it on anything so what is the point, in him risking his arse every 5 seconds.

Another of the many annoyances is the character interaction. Your uncle (Roman) is one the most annoying characters in gaming history, constantly being a little Jacob is a walking, talking serotype as is Packie, (and his whole family). However the worst character (unfortunately) is the one you play as (Niko). He is basically a black stale, and while Rockstar tried to add depth to his character by revealing his story of being a former army solider gradually, ultimately it amounts to nothing of interest, demonstrating a lack of depth to his character.

With regards to the story, there is nothing ground breaking here, as it is your standard revenge story, nothing as gripping as Sleeping Dogs which was predictable was still enjoyable. The only really noticeable moment of the story is the choice at the end (Spoiler alert) where you get to choice if Roman dies or Kate dies by undergoing one of two missions prior to the event. However it falls flat, as you want to kill off Roman, but if you do Kate disappeared, making it better to keep the annoying prick (Roman) alive over the only decent character in the story (Kate). Furthermore the choice has no impact on the actually ending, making it rather pointless. I can see where they were going, trying to make it a dark and quite depressing story, but honestly with all the annoyances of Niko, I couldn’t care less about what happens to him. This ultimately means that the story, like the game on the whole, falls flat.

However possible the main problem with the game is how there is NO variety in anything. This can be seen by how in the following areas GTA 4, has limited variety, Missions (in Gta4 you virtual go from location to location killing people, with minimal challenge as the Enemy A.I have a tendency to just peek out of cover exposing their heads making for easy head shots or suicide charge; and no build up. In San Andreas there while Enemy A.I is retarded the variety of missions make up for it), Customisation (in San Andreas and Saints Row 2 you could get tattoos, haircuts, and tons of clothes; in Gta4 you can only buy a limited number of clothes), Vehicles (in San Andreas and Saints Row 2 you had tons of vehicles and planes, in Gta4 there is only like 3 helis and no planes). This lack of variety makes it so it feels that Rockstar removed all of what made San Andreas so great, and replaced it with mediocrity dullness.

All these mind-numbing elements ultimately make the game annoying without enough irritations to make you turn it off. This, from a studio that gave us games like Max Payne 3, Bully etc., amounts to a great disappointment.
  30. Apr 3, 2011
  31. May 18, 2011
    Why is this game rated the best PS3 game ever? Are you serious? This game deserves max 3, but I give it 0 to counter all those pointless 10's. I do not reccomned this game at all, unless you need some sandbox game to drive around and screw some stuff, if you want a story, it's not a good game.
  32. Mar 6, 2012
    A boring game-as-art experience. It's an accomplishment to create such a giant city, but a shame not to build a functioning game. All forms of gameplay are poor and clunky, inferior to the champions of each genre. Driving doesn't feel as good as a racing game, bowling doesn't feel as good as a bowling game, etc. Every experience offered in GTA IV can be found elsewhere, and in FUN form.A boring game-as-art experience. It's an accomplishment to create such a giant city, but a shame not to build a functioning game. All forms of gameplay are poor and clunky, inferior to the champions of each genre. Driving doesn't feel as good as a racing game, bowling doesn't feel as good as a bowling game, etc. Every experience offered in GTA IV can be found elsewhere, and in FUN form. Strip it down and it's a compilation of half-ass mini-games separated by a gigantic, but hollow, hub world. Expand
  33. Dec 11, 2011
    This game is not impressive. I was pumped when this game came out, but when i played it I simply did not enjoy playing it. Got tired of it very quickly. They took too much of what i loved about san andreas out of this installment.
  34. Oct 15, 2011
    an amazing game which highlights the superiority of the GTA series against other mediocre sandbox games. It improves upon previous GTA'S in every aspect and is a must own.
  35. Jan 13, 2012
    I've been playing this game on and off right since I got it in early 2011. This has the best controls I've ever used for driving in an action game. The lock-on shooting mechanics work surprisingly well and result in quick, satisfying shoot-outs, and the story, though hard to follow for twenty hours, is unbelievably good for a video game. A point off for some uneven texture sharpness.I've been playing this game on and off right since I got it in early 2011. This has the best controls I've ever used for driving in an action game. The lock-on shooting mechanics work surprisingly well and result in quick, satisfying shoot-outs, and the story, though hard to follow for twenty hours, is unbelievably good for a video game. A point off for some uneven texture sharpness. In cutscenes, it's very noticeable when the foreground is rather sharp and well animated, but the background settings seem so soft that they look like they're being viewed through wax paper. There's some pretty bad aliasing too (jagged edges that should be curved), and it's a pain to have to tap X or A to run. However, those gripes aside, this is consistently the most fun game I've ever played. Expand
  36. Dec 29, 2012
    Don't get the hype, there is nothing "revolutionary" about this game. All I experienced was an extremely dull game with often repetitive missions and monotonous combat.
  37. Feb 18, 2012
    Cheesy and boring characters with the same patheitc moral struggles as San Andreas. Mowing down hundreds of pedestrians does not fit with that kind of crap. I need to be mute or a psychopath. Features that got added in every increment since GTA1 have been chopped and you have this barebones gameplay where you can't fly, heavily modify your character, buy properties everywhere etc. etc.Cheesy and boring characters with the same patheitc moral struggles as San Andreas. Mowing down hundreds of pedestrians does not fit with that kind of crap. I need to be mute or a psychopath. Features that got added in every increment since GTA1 have been chopped and you have this barebones gameplay where you can't fly, heavily modify your character, buy properties everywhere etc. etc. Obviously they are setting up the sequels to include these in the hope that it will have the same impact as your first helicopter ride in Vice City. It's an admission that they can't come up with anything new or fresh to add. The cops are way too difficult to shake if you get beyong 3 stars, which is part of the realism but again limits the amount of mass murder you can commit, and makes it more like real life. The cars are not fun to drive, performance is affected too much by crashes and in fact the physics seem less realistic than older games. It feels like tweaking has been done to the handling itself rather than the actual physics to give it an appearance of realism. So do you go for driving simulator or arcade style fun handling? Please pick one and don't half do either style. The music sucks. The story is utterly forgettable, I mean I really didn't care the whole way through. Roman is incredibly annoying, and not funny. Not very much in this game is funny actually. Or fun. Or interesting. Gets 6/10 because it is huge, and better than the alternatives in the same genre. But compared to its predecessors it is way off being a great game. Expand
  38. Mar 25, 2013
    This game is not bad, but certainly it isn't a masterpiece i don't know how this is the best game in all metacritic history, i mean San Andreas was a lot better than GTA4 i hope Rockstar make an awesome GTA with the next one.
  39. May 8, 2012
    GTA4 is just more GTA and if that's what ya like more power to ya. Myself on the other hand was looking for maybe something new. I will say that it's better than San andres but still not as good as liberty city. Basically this game was just a big disappointment all the way around.
  40. Aug 17, 2013
    10 out of 10.

Excellent story. Unbelievable variation. Hilarious ragdoll physics. Incredible design. Amazing graphics. What else can I say? Grand Theft Auto IV surpasses any hype and brings on more of that open-world chaos that we love and hold dearly about the Grand Theft Auto series. But I do have some complaints... Firstly, some missions can feel repetitive. It's constantly about
    10 out of 10.

But I do have some complaints... Firstly, some missions can feel repetitive. It's constantly about stealing things, killing targets and escaping whoever is chasing you. Of course it's fun, but it's bit too much a times. Also, in many missions, you are told to kill the person you're chasing, but you cant because you have to reach a cutscene or a certain point before they can actually take damage. That is misleading, quite annoying and just a waste of bullets.

But over-all, such small gripes are, of course, nothing that can pull down this game from a perfect 10 out of 10 score, thanks to the things mentioned on the first row.
  41. Dec 8, 2012
    My honest opinion is that this game is overrated. Everything you expect from GTA is here; guns, police, violence, explosions, cars, gangs. Its good, but no where near as good as Batman Arkham City...
  42. Mar 27, 2011
    At first, the game is fun and the story gets pretty simple. But when you get further, it gets boring, the characters get annoying, and the story is so difficult. When you lose and have to start over everytime, you'll be hitting your head against the wall, turn it off, and break it in half. The driving controlls suck, it feels like it has a mind of it own that I will be flying out of theAt first, the game is fun and the story gets pretty simple. But when you get further, it gets boring, the characters get annoying, and the story is so difficult. When you lose and have to start over everytime, you'll be hitting your head against the wall, turn it off, and break it in half. The driving controlls suck, it feels like it has a mind of it own that I will be flying out of the windshield again and again. I really hate the characters, they think their cool and badass, but MY GOD their so annoying I mute the TV. The multiplayer is boring, I turn it off and play "Uncharted 2". I have know idea why so many people love this game so much, they say "Its so amazing, its Grand Theft Auto!" I now know why they love and defnd it. They defend it because it has "Grand Theft Auto" written on the cover, and they think any game that is titled "Grand Theft Auto" means its a great game. Its a horrible game and I want my money back! Expand
  43. Mar 12, 2012
    As with previous GTA games, this one is packed with hours of action adventure fun in a sandbox that you can call yours. Shoot an old lady, blow up a helicopter, have complete fun causing a mini apocalypse. Make sure you buy the add ons for even more fun. Lost and damned and Ballads of gay tony. This game is yes, a step back from GTA SA, like no planes, no realistic clothing changing, noAs with previous GTA games, this one is packed with hours of action adventure fun in a sandbox that you can call yours. Shoot an old lady, blow up a helicopter, have complete fun causing a mini apocalypse. Make sure you buy the add ons for even more fun. Lost and damned and Ballads of gay tony. This game is yes, a step back from GTA SA, like no planes, no realistic clothing changing, no getting fat, no swimming underwater, etc, but its uber fun. Do you play online? This game is online and is SUPER fun. Wreck havoc on complete random strangers. Got a PSN? Add me: ccrogers15 Expand
  44. Apr 2, 2012
    Didnt like it. It was good at first, but playing other Huge title games, it didnt stand out to me, they are focused on too much graphics! Bring San Andreas back!!
  45. Oct 29, 2011
    This game is a piece of **** I bet all of the reviewers were paid to give GTA 4 a 10. "Overrated. Annoying characters, clunky gameplay (did the developers ever try driving a real car?!), did I say annoying characters? So glad I got it second hand and cheap--still a waste of money." I AGREE WITH YOU http://www.metacritic.com/user/ElectricPhase "This game is too repetitive. You go and talkThis game is a piece of **** I bet all of the reviewers were paid to give GTA 4 a 10. "Overrated. Annoying characters, clunky gameplay (did the developers ever try driving a real car?!), did I say annoying characters? So glad I got it second hand and cheap--still a waste of money." I AGREE WITH YOU http://www.metacritic.com/user/ElectricPhase "This game is too repetitive. You go and talk with one man, he want to kill someone. You kill the guy, and ok it's done. The game is always this. Graphics aren't the best, playstation have better graphics to offer. Some crashes around the game made me put this game away, I sold it 5$. Really bad game". ALSO AGREE WITH Horrendously boring. It was fun for like 5 minutes! Just like the rest of the GTA games. The story i found boring and the online is terrible! Worst online expierience ive ever had. Worst 40 quid I have ever spent. Wish I gave this one a pass and just bought MGS4 on its own instead Expand
  46. Jun 25, 2012
    Spectacular game. One of my favorite games in this generation. The amount of freedom in this game is simply astounding...you can literally go anywhere and do anything you can think of. Almost every game has some major limitation that prevents you from doing something, but this game has almost no limitation. You can drive cars, drive motorcycles, drive boats, drive helicopters, jump youSpectacular game. One of my favorite games in this generation. The amount of freedom in this game is simply astounding...you can literally go anywhere and do anything you can think of. Almost every game has some major limitation that prevents you from doing something, but this game has almost no limitation. You can drive cars, drive motorcycles, drive boats, drive helicopters, jump you car off of ramps, run around on foot, shoot whatever you want, and blow up whatever you want...the fact that you can do all of these things in the same game is very impressive. No other game has so much going on in it, and yet Rockstar made all of these things fun and executed them well. Some games struggle to get one of these things right, yet Rockstar does them all well. Not to mention the city is interesting and full of variety, which makes it a great playground to drive around in...I love that the city has a lot of hills and uneven areas - this allows you to gleefully make your car spin out, jump, roll over, or whatever else you want to do with it...and the awesome car physics give your car a great sense of weight, which makes it so satisfying to watch your car soar through the air and come slamming down as the body wobbles from the impact. The car physics alone make this game worth playing. I actually think GTA's driving feels better and actual racing games. After experiencing this game, I can't see how any other game can be placed in the same league - the sheer amount of stuff crammed into this game just can't be matched. Expand
  47. Aug 15, 2010
    Grand Theft Auto 4 is a great game however, it does have its flaws.For example, missions can get repetitive, the online mode does not have a well paced leveling system, and it also makes it very easy for people to spawn camp, although this mainly only happens when the spawn distance is set to near i think that the developers should have made the game so that it can sense when this may beGrand Theft Auto 4 is a great game however, it does have its flaws.For example, missions can get repetitive, the online mode does not have a well paced leveling system, and it also makes it very easy for people to spawn camp, although this mainly only happens when the spawn distance is set to near i think that the developers should have made the game so that it can sense when this may be happening and spawn you somewhere else automatically. So to wrap it all up very little is wrong with this game and only has minor problems. Expand
  48. Oct 28, 2010
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game right from the day i got it and to this day i still enjoy playing it. The story is very well written and does its best to give players the freedom of choice from time to time. The multi player is good it has a lot of variety to it which makes it very enjoyable for players
  49. Aug 20, 2010
    Despite all the hype, GTA is not the best game released in 2008, nor is it the best Grand Theft Auto available. San Andreas is still much better than IV. GTA IV is still a very good game, but vastly overrated. I had fun with this, but the game got so boring so fast after the storyline is finished, it's not even funny. There's only so many times when you can go to a comedy club and watchDespite all the hype, GTA is not the best game released in 2008, nor is it the best Grand Theft Auto available. San Andreas is still much better than IV. GTA IV is still a very good game, but vastly overrated. I had fun with this, but the game got so boring so fast after the storyline is finished, it's not even funny. There's only so many times when you can go to a comedy club and watch Ricky Gervais or Katt Williams recycle the same three acts and over and over again.

The graphics are fantastic, the cars handle realistically, which I like. Sure, I wrecked the car the first couple of times I tried to drive, but the driving gets easy real fast.

The shooting is okay, not bad, but not CoD-level. I hate auto-aim in this game, it's just so terrible.

Overall, this is a really good game, just not as good as the mainstream reviews said it was.
  50. Oct 6, 2010
    Technically, GTAIV triumphs. The engine is strong and Liberty City is rich, diverse and alive. However, it's a step down from the previous generation of GTAs in terms of story, gameplay and, most importantly, fun. Niko Bellic bored me; I didn't care about him, I didn't care about his friends, and I didn't care about his enemies. GTAIV suffers from that prevalent yet unworthy trend amongTechnically, GTAIV triumphs. The engine is strong and Liberty City is rich, diverse and alive. However, it's a step down from the previous generation of GTAs in terms of story, gameplay and, most importantly, fun. Niko Bellic bored me; I didn't care about him, I didn't care about his friends, and I didn't care about his enemies. GTAIV suffers from that prevalent yet unworthy trend among games - the quest for realism. Perhaps the physics, story and [most of] the missions are more 'realistic', but parachuting on top of gang leaders and stealing fighter jets is fun, and visually Liberty City appears as though viewed through a scratched, dirty pair of sunglasses. It lacks the cartoonish colour and vibrancy of previous GTA games. Sometimes - in fact, often - realism does not make for a better game. GTAIV is the first in the series that I left half-way through and returned to at a later date. I didn't think much of it at the time, but in hindsight the game obviously didn't pull me in and entertain me.

Of course, this isn't to say it's not a very good game; rather, it suffers from over-hype and exaggerated critical appraisal which, in light of the accusations leveled at Rockstar over their Red Dead Redemption PR, leaves a fairly bitter taste. Very good game, but it is certainly not anywhere near perfection have some reviews would have you believe. The Saints Row games feel more â
  51. Sep 2, 2010
    Quite simply, the most engrossing Sandbox game available for consoles. It may have lost the hilarity of San Andreas and the style of Vice City, but as a story, it shoves both of the previous two games down a hill. Moving, emotional, funny, sad and with a bitter/sweet ending, this game is definately worth the 25+ hours you can sink into it.
  52. Sep 27, 2010
    Ahh, GTA IV....my personal favorite on my small library of games. I think the storyline is surprisingly interesting, with the plot twists and everything. I love the vast expanses of the newly rendered Liberty City. It looks much like NYC, so they have that down pat.
  53. Oct 15, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Grand Theft Auto Iv this game is very realistic but not that realistic i have got this and have played it twice nearly completed it for a second time but after a bit you do get bored of as you`v played it for long and you know everywhere but something still amaze me such as the quality`s of the cars and how fast they go this game does have very good graphics the graphics are amazing also from start to last the game does impress youv got alot of diffrent choices to choose from as which person to kill first and you get suprises from each of them .The first hand shooting on this game is actally quite amazing but the bad thing is when you aere going so fast in your car the tv will glitch adn freez the glitches on this are quite good as you can go online and you have to go to the secound islnd their is a swing there which if you keep hitting your car at it it flings you so far in the sky .This game would be my secound choice if i had it on a list even though it is good its not that good if you keep playing it and you get use to everything themusic on the game is quite intresting the radio i like is BEATS 87.2 this one has alot of rap on the radio.This game does amaze you some points as i bet you didnt know that you can give tramps money and also you have got alot of challeneges to complete in the game you have to shoot pigions to unlock something also you can ramp off ramps and fly and this will give you suprises i would appreiacte for looking Thanks for looking. Expand
  54. Nov 16, 2010
    Grab a beer and wonder at the city lights and skylines that ooze of atmosphere. Atmoshere for me is what sets GTA apart from it's wannabees and clones. Just to peruse the city in a taxi is a joy in itself. The virtual world laid out before you is staggering. If the game had no plot and was just a free sprawling city that would be enough for me. Not surprisingly there is a plot and aGrab a beer and wonder at the city lights and skylines that ooze of atmosphere. Atmoshere for me is what sets GTA apart from it's wannabees and clones. Just to peruse the city in a taxi is a joy in itself. The virtual world laid out before you is staggering. If the game had no plot and was just a free sprawling city that would be enough for me. Not surprisingly there is a plot and a damned good one. The game has few flaws in my book, the only flaw would be that previous incarnations may have taken a tiny amount of shine off this version , but even then not much. Great fun online and just as good chilling by yourself with a Scotch overlooking the statue of liberty. Expand
  55. Dec 20, 2010
    A perfect game. Liberty city is absolutely beautiful. The story is absorbing. I could not put the controller down. The missions are varied and fewer time limited missions, which was a frustrating factor in previous games is a welcome change. The addition of the other minigames, a friend system, girlfriend system, etc., all contribute to this masterpiece. There are so many good things forA perfect game. Liberty city is absolutely beautiful. The story is absorbing. I could not put the controller down. The missions are varied and fewer time limited missions, which was a frustrating factor in previous games is a welcome change. The addition of the other minigames, a friend system, girlfriend system, etc., all contribute to this masterpiece. There are so many good things for this I don't even know what to say. Just buy it and play for yourself. Expand
  56. Dec 7, 2010
    Ive been playing GTA IV for over 20 years now its amazing ive been able to jump off the empire state building only to slide down the pyramids and land in amsterdam there i smoked weed
  57. Dec 16, 2010
    THAT'S IT!THE BEST GTA EVER!Man this game is so good that is the best GTA game and best Xbox 360/PS3 game!This game is really good!No joke!The action BLAZES a lot!The perfect GTA game!
  58. Dec 31, 2010
    Truly the best game I have ever played by a mile.
  59. Feb 8, 2011
    Possibly the finest open world game ever created, and easily the best social satire ever concieved. A world were people live and breathe the lives of every one of us. From flipping open cell phones and chatting, going for coffee, having trouble parallel parking, hobo's at the bus stop, GTA4 is the single most immersive game world I have ever seen. Combine a lengthy campaign with aPossibly the finest open world game ever created, and easily the best social satire ever concieved. A world were people live and breathe the lives of every one of us. From flipping open cell phones and chatting, going for coffee, having trouble parallel parking, hobo's at the bus stop, GTA4 is the single most immersive game world I have ever seen. Combine a lengthy campaign with a fantastic story, brilliant dialogue, amazing graphics, great music, unthinkable scale (the buildings loom over you as drive through the downtown and its a beauty to behold), and hundreds of hours worth of stuff to do... oh and how about all of that WITH 8 players online? GTA4 is a modern masterpiece. When I first played it in 2008 my jaw was floored. Now in 2011 after playing it all again with the two (also incredible) DLC campaigns, I can say my stance is virtualy unaltered, if not improved. You are not allowed to claim to be a gammer without experiencing GTA4. In my top 3 games of all time. Expand
  60. Feb 22, 2011
    These games just get better and better. Captivating story, great graphics, fun gameplay and some humour. Quite simply the best game around. New York or should i say liberty city is brilliantly realised.
  61. Apr 15, 2011
    i think this is a pretty good game with obviously a few exceptions. first off the graphics are not all that great but when you look at the size of the city you play in and the fact that there are no loading pauses they are actually good and definatly better than past GTA games.the online is compleate garbage unless you have the game filled up with 15 other people but good luck findingi think this is a pretty good game with obviously a few exceptions. first off the graphics are not all that great but when you look at the size of the city you play in and the fact that there are no loading pauses they are actually good and definatly better than past GTA games.the online is compleate garbage unless you have the game filled up with 15 other people but good luck finding others to play with. the story is pretty good in my opinion and people may say it is boring and all you do is kill but there are a variety of missions (albiet not a very wide range) and you will have fun as long as you have a health cheat because some of the missions are just impossible to do if you dont have cheats enabled and you will just get frustrated. besides the story there is the obvious just go on killing rampages which always put a smile on my face but there are also added things that you could do like call up one of the in game friends and go bowling or see a show (the stand up comedy club is so funny it is just a shame that they did not have more to watch) and you can even go on dates although i am not sure what the point of adding that was. i wish they had kept the ambulance and taxi missions but this is still a great game and you should play it at least once especially since it is only $20 brand new and i dont see another GTA coming out in the near future Expand
  62. Sep 17, 2011
    compared to the other GTA games this is boring, dull, depressing, and just plain stupid. knowing that rockstar can make amazing games like LA noire, san andreass, and GTA 3 but they have hit rock bottom with this stinker. Rockstar, you dissapoint me.
  63. Oct 14, 2011
    This game does lots of things well, but I
  64. Mar 13, 2012
    Great game.. I think its the best one in the series since San Andreas, the graphics are amazing, the combat is geat , and the game is better than other open world games, i dont know about peole but think its an amazing game.

PS: i had to give this game a perfect 10 to counter all those trolls one the forums that said they will rate this game 0 , my real score is 9/10
  65. Jan 21, 2012
    Are you guys kidding me saying this is one of the best games ever for one the game is wayyyyy too dark and yes i have adjusted the settings I do not understand why everyone wants open world all the time yes i enjoy some open world games but this one blew i enjoyed saints row and dead island a thousand times more
  66. Mar 6, 2012
    One of the best games this gen! , I cant believe how some people gave this game such low scores! Its an AWESOME! game.. I recommend this game to every "REAL" gamer out there
  67. Jun 28, 2012
    I don't understand how this game is so high on gamerankings.com. Sure it's impressive visually and its got online modes. However, those are the only two good factors. This game is overrated. It feels like a beta. The controls a clunky and the character moves sluggishly. The storyline is decent and the voice acting is GTA quality. This isn't my favorite GTA. I have a feeling GTA5 willI don't understand how this game is so high on gamerankings.com. Sure it's impressive visually and its got online modes. However, those are the only two good factors. This game is overrated. It feels like a beta. The controls a clunky and the character moves sluggishly. The storyline is decent and the voice acting is GTA quality. This isn't my favorite GTA. I have a feeling GTA5 will improve a lot! Expand
  68. May 12, 2012
    Just ignore the trolls and naysayers this is the best game ever at this point you don't even need to do any missions since you would be wasting hours beating and pushing people off cliffs in other cars or train tracks.
  69. May 18, 2012
    probably the best open world action-adventure video game made to date. There is so much to do and explore, even after you're done with the 20+ hour amazing storyline. Everything is beautiful and realistic in this game. And the online is suprisingly entertaining, a place where I can mess around for fun.
  70. Jul 2, 2012
    The 2nd Best sandbox game, after GTA San Andreas. If only the adding some of the stuff CJ could with Niko Bellic. More custom mods for the cars and motor bikes. One item I miss, is the bmx bike, i hope they will put in the new GTA V game.
  71. Jul 20, 2012
    I Love GTA's, I started from GTA:London in childhood, i loved it! I skipped GTA 3 but then my uncle did show me Gta Vice:City I WAS AMAZED oh my god, cars breaking and stuff. GTA:SA was my absolute favorite + online was amazing but GTA IV, IT looked epic, graphics and all. but something was missing.. where was the awsome planes and country? :( Story was with good sense of humor andI Love GTA's, I started from GTA:London in childhood, i loved it! I skipped GTA 3 but then my uncle did show me Gta Vice:City I WAS AMAZED oh my god, cars breaking and stuff. GTA:SA was my absolute favorite + online was amazing but GTA IV, IT looked epic, graphics and all. but something was missing.. where was the awsome planes and country? :( Story was with good sense of humor and enjoyable. Good game! 9/10 Expand
  72. Jul 21, 2012
    A phenomenal game which is perhaps the best game to come out on the PS3 so far. I have played the other GTAs and I felt that GTA 3 and Vice City were the best of the series with San Andreas not quite delivering up to the standards that we expect from such a great gaming franchise. The developers at Rockstar must have had a similar thinking process as they stepped up their efforts toA phenomenal game which is perhaps the best game to come out on the PS3 so far. I have played the other GTAs and I felt that GTA 3 and Vice City were the best of the series with San Andreas not quite delivering up to the standards that we expect from such a great gaming franchise. The developers at Rockstar must have had a similar thinking process as they stepped up their efforts to produce a game which delivers in every aspect. Expand
  73. Jun 19, 2013
    First off, I am a HUGE Grand Theft Auto fan (GTA III, Vice City & San Andreas were all amazing). When it came to GTA IV, simply put the characters and story were lacking greatly. You were in a concrete jungle the entire time and could not even get into a helicopter or airplane. Graphics were great, controls were better than average. But not sure what went wrong, but this should haveFirst off, I am a HUGE Grand Theft Auto fan (GTA III, Vice City & San Andreas were all amazing). When it came to GTA IV, simply put the characters and story were lacking greatly. You were in a concrete jungle the entire time and could not even get into a helicopter or airplane. Graphics were great, controls were better than average. But not sure what went wrong, but this should have been so much better. Easily the worst GTA in the series. Thank goodness Rockstar made up for it with Red Dead Redemption. Expand
  74. Jan 5, 2013
    Uhh,really?This is the amazing sequence of the **** awesome game that was San Andreas,srsly,GTA is not a simulator,it's 100% arcade,jump from planes using a parachute falling in a car, destroy it and run with a boxer underwear over here...GTA IV makes you have to make annoying meeting with friends to have a good relationship,is difficult as **** hell and they DIDN'T PUT CHECKPOINTS!!!IUhh,really?This is the amazing sequence of the **** awesome game that was San Andreas,srsly,GTA is not a simulator,it's 100% arcade,jump from planes using a parachute falling in a car, destroy it and run with a boxer underwear over here...GTA IV makes you have to make annoying meeting with friends to have a good relationship,is difficult as **** hell and they DIDN'T PUT CHECKPOINTS!!!I have to retry (and when i say retry i say walk half town,ps - scenarios are **** is not a pretty city,i want rural,casinos,and this kind of things) everytime i lose in a difficult mission,30 hours to beat the game approximately,15 of walking half town.
    But i have to say,taking off the no checkpoints thing,GTA IV would be a great game,if it wasn't GTA,because it completely lose the focus fromthe others.
    And the story?4 parts it have:
    1/4 - You meet Roman,know he talked lies and **** him from Vlad and the mafias.
    2/4 - Get mixed in the mafia with faustin and dimitri,this part is ****
    3/4 - WORST ****G PART,occupates half of the storyline,you meet a bunch of characters that you make 3 or 4 missions with them,making you forget EVERY-DAMN-THING about the main story,and there are so many characters,that you don't even know what the **** are you doing for the guy you're makin a mission for
    4/4 - End of the game,PS - ****ty ending
  75. Jan 9, 2013
    most overrated game of all time san andreas is much better overall

GOOD:graphics r very nice and realistic andd detailed bad: the driving, the map is small, the missions, the characters

so if only they made the game with different missions and expanded the map this game couldve been the best ever still have ery high hopes for GTA V!
  76. Apr 18, 2013
    GTA IV is very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  77. Jan 4, 2014
    Its a great game but compare to previous GTA, its a huge setback despite the graphics. The story is great for a videogame but not movie standard, the gameplay is a hit or miss, the graphics is great for 2008 but the physic engine is stupid as hell, the driving is realistic but its so annoying and a pain in the ass to drive any vehicle and after you complete all the mission, you got nothingIts a great game but compare to previous GTA, its a huge setback despite the graphics. The story is great for a videogame but not movie standard, the gameplay is a hit or miss, the graphics is great for 2008 but the physic engine is stupid as hell, the driving is realistic but its so annoying and a pain in the ass to drive any vehicle and after you complete all the mission, you got nothing else to do with Singplayer campaign like in San Andreas. Expand
  78. May 28, 2013
    Highly stylized environments and characters can't make up for the fact that compared to its predecessor the gameplay is a little dull and unoriginal now. Niko Bellic, while as cool as toast, was not a character I could fall in love with and I found myself not giving a rats for him, his friends or adventures. This was not a bad game by any means, fun for a rampage here and there, butHighly stylized environments and characters can't make up for the fact that compared to its predecessor the gameplay is a little dull and unoriginal now. Niko Bellic, while as cool as toast, was not a character I could fall in love with and I found myself not giving a rats for him, his friends or adventures. This was not a bad game by any means, fun for a rampage here and there, but there's only so much of that that holds my attention before seeking a more immersive and emotive exerience that GTA4 just didn't offer me. Expand
  79. Jun 6, 2013
    VERY disappointing, glitches, bad art style/graphics, and lower frame rate on PS3 and Xbox 360 versions make this game a cliche'd crime story at best.
  80. Jun 13, 2013
    I don't find this entertaining and fun. I don't mind the ability to steal cars and stuff but I don't know why it got 98/100 that is just ridiculous. But a game to keep in mind is....................WATCH DOGS!!! you can steal cars and hack and control literally anything! The game isn't out yet but it is definantly going to be better than this!
  81. Oct 6, 2013
    GTA IV is quality. The expanded game world and other additional features enhance game-play, and its undeniably long storyline fails to become un-exciting, even after hours. The new Liberty City is memorable, and provides the perfect backdrop for GTA IV's story to take place.
  82. Jul 3, 2013
    I will not give a perfect score, because the graphics are amazing, the world is believable, the characters are perfect, but there are some problems with the game, such as driving, is a bit difficult to drive in this game, and once we got to the end of the game there are no activities to do. But the story is perfect, the voice acting is superb, and once again, rockstar made ​​a faithfulI will not give a perfect score, because the graphics are amazing, the world is believable, the characters are perfect, but there are some problems with the game, such as driving, is a bit difficult to drive in this game, and once we got to the end of the game there are no activities to do. But the story is perfect, the voice acting is superb, and once again, rockstar made ​​a faithful representation NY. I found no reason to play multiplayer because the single player did everything I was hoping for. Not the best game in the series, but it does many things right. Like the story, characters, graphics and an open world to explore. Expand
  83. Jul 5, 2013
    I will not give a perfect score, because the graphics are amazing, the world is believable, the characters are perfect, but there are some problems with the game, such as driving, is a bit difficult to drive in this game, and once we got to the end of the game there are no activities to do. But the story is perfect, the voice acting is superb, and once again, rockstar made a faithfulI will not give a perfect score, because the graphics are amazing, the world is believable, the characters are perfect, but there are some problems with the game, such as driving, is a bit difficult to drive in this game, and once we got to the end of the game there are no activities to do. But the story is perfect, the voice acting is superb, and once again, rockstar made a faithful representation of NY. I found no reason to play multiplayer because the single player did everything I was hoping for. Not the best game in the series, but it does many things right. Like the story, characters, graphics and an open world to explore. Expand
  84. Jul 6, 2013
    The review score for this game is an embarrassment and testament to what is happening to video gaming. The 10's given to this game by "professional" reviewers are clearly not just about the quality of the game. The reviewers have clearly been influenced by other factors. Gaming review scores in general have clearly become favors to the game developers, and this is an example of that takenThe review score for this game is an embarrassment and testament to what is happening to video gaming. The 10's given to this game by "professional" reviewers are clearly not just about the quality of the game. The reviewers have clearly been influenced by other factors. Gaming review scores in general have clearly become favors to the game developers, and this is an example of that taken to extremes.

Now, having said that, I am not saying this is a bad game. In fact, it is actually a very good game, but to call it perfect or near perfect is absurd. It's also very odd that a lot of "professional" reviewers are indicating that they are scoring the game higher because it is newer and has better graphics, etc. Since when did we start doing this? If this is how we are going to look at games then all of the new games are all better than older games. I guess "Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare" is way better than the original "Alone in the Dark" because it is so much newer and has graphics that are far more advanced. No, that can't be right because "Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare" was almost universally declared a piece of garbage, while "Alone in the Dark" is frequently listed as one of the best games of all time. (It's worth mentioning that the game developer for the newer game threatened reviewers with a lawsuit over their reviews of the game when it came out.)

Getting back to GTA IV, there are far too many flaws for it to be considered near perfect. This one is obviously subjective to some extent, but the music and radio is very disappointing when compared with previous versions. I'll allow this to not even count since it is so subjective, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. I quickly turned off the radio and left it off. I never did that in any of the previous versions. Still, this is one of the great features of the GTA series that makes it standout from other games that do not even have this feature so I won't count this.

This may also be subjective to some extent, but the story and characters are boring with a capital B. The characters look and sound boring. We went from actors like Ray Liotta as the main character in "GTA: Vice City" to the crap in GTA IV? I'm curious if anyone out there cares about Nikko and his cousin at all. Even the other hoods that give you your jobs are boring. While watching and listening to the video in the game for the first time I wanted to just skip over it. For me, the music, story, and characters alone make this game far less entertaining than all previous versions of the GTA series. This version of GTA is also too serious. I always thought some of the negative things (violence, sex, etc.) said about the GTA series in the media were a bit ridiculous because it was hard to see how anyone could take the games that seriously, but with this version I can see their point a little, (Just a little!) because it's too serious. One last thing, the game seems much less creative in it's content than previous iterations.

I am not going to go over the good or great facets of this game because that has been done to death. I just wanted to post a review to comment on how overrated the game is, even though it is still an excellent game.
  85. Oct 20, 2013
    'Grand Theft Auto IV' is, lets face it, a great game.

I found GTA IV to be so fulfilling, so deep, so interesting. The story based around Niko Bellic is a great one, possibly one of the best in the series. But, this great, beautiful game has a lot of drawbacks that for me lowered the score. The first; is that it isn't fun. Yes, GTA has always been fun, but, I feel that Rockstar
    'Grand Theft Auto IV' is, lets face it, a great game.

The first; is that it isn't fun. Yes, GTA has always been fun, but, I feel that Rockstar wanted to create a dramatic, serious film-like game where we just sit back and watch. I did mission after mission, because I couldn't find fun stuff to do in the spare time between missions.
    The atmosphere in Liberty City also makes the game seem boring, drab, and bland. Everything is colourless, grey, and just has an overall sad feel to it.

The second; is that your friends will constantly call you whilst you're doing something important. I can't count how many times I've heard Roman (Niko's Cousin) ask me if I wanted to go 'bowling' with him. This may not seem like a major issue, but, I warn you that it will get very annoying when your cousin constantly interrupts your daily shoot-out with the police, or a very important part of a mission.

Other than these issues, I found 'GTA IV' to be enjoyable. But, I have to say that I didn't enjoy it as much as I did its predecessors. Overall, I recommend 'IV' for a hardcore fan of the series, but, I must warn you that although 'IV' is similar to its predecessors, it lacks a lot of traits that made the previous installments so amazing!
  86. Jul 12, 2013
    I started playing GTA when it still was in 2D and I tried all GTA game. This one is a great one with still lot of freedom, lot of possibilities ,good story (the player have to take some choice)...a great game i had pleasure to finish 2 or 3 times!
  87. Jul 20, 2013
    this game is epic i'm excited for gta v for those who thing this isn't that great,gta v is gonna blow your mind away. People says it has bad framerate? its your computer that is the problem get a decent one and it would work flawlessly the storyline is great actually
  88. Sep 25, 2013
    EN: Grand Theft Auto IV doesn't only presents the player to the most charismatic protagonist of the whole series, but is emotionally deep, viscerally addictive and takes place at an amazingly built Liberty City. The handbreak is s*** and makes the car slide everywhere like a godd*** ski, and some missions like the pingeons one may be a pain in the a** for some, but overall, Grand TheftEN: Grand Theft Auto IV doesn't only presents the player to the most charismatic protagonist of the whole series, but is emotionally deep, viscerally addictive and takes place at an amazingly built Liberty City. The handbreak is s*** and makes the car slide everywhere like a godd*** ski, and some missions like the pingeons one may be a pain in the a** for some, but overall, Grand Theft Auto IV is a masterpiece.

PT-BR: Grand Theft Auto IV não só apresenta o jogador ao protagonista mais carismático de toda a série, mas emocionalmente profundo, visceralmente viciante e se passa em uma Liberty City incrivelmente construída. O handbreak não funciona e faz o carro deslizar em todos os lugares como um maldito ski, e algumas missões secundárias, como a dos pigeons, podem ser um pé no saco para alguns, mas no geral, Grand Theft Auto IV uma obra-prima.
  89. Aug 13, 2013
    The game is good I admit but its ower rated.. its not 10/10 game... you ahve a 4 city sandbox game with lot of things to do but the story line, the physics... They ruin stuff
  90. Jul 24, 2013
    Reviews for this are probably a little too high mainly, because this is one of the first few great games to come out on the ps3. Although this game will keep playing for due to its compelling storymode in single player with several side missions and its online multiplayer has many different modes to keep you glued to the game. Also in first person story mode you can still roam around doingReviews for this are probably a little too high mainly, because this is one of the first few great games to come out on the ps3. Although this game will keep playing for due to its compelling storymode in single player with several side missions and its online multiplayer has many different modes to keep you glued to the game. Also in first person story mode you can still roam around doing whatever you want but the wanted level is more realistic seems tougher. The game does have glitches and cops have tried catching me after they hit my back bumper like I did something... Plus I had my police sirens on and was trying to catch someone and th police cars wouldn't get out of the way and I hit them and my car exploded. The busses in multiplayer are also glitchy and sometimes you could trapped under the map. Other than that everything was fine in the game to me. The critics grade should be more like a 91. Expand
  91. Sep 16, 2013
    I guess for its time it was good but when other, better Rockstar Games release and they don't have a score close to this, you are going to have a problem. I don't really understand how this boring game got rated so high, games like Red Dead Redemption should have had this score. The DLC made this game 100 times better
  92. Sep 18, 2013
    Pay absolute no attention to the ignorant buffoons that gave this masterpiece of a video game a negative score. Crybabies that no nothing about what makes a game playable and fun. This game is just that: playable and fun. The story, albeit dark, is brilliantly told, (there is one mission in particular that is absolute genius) the set of characters are the more colorful and engaging of anyPay absolute no attention to the ignorant buffoons that gave this masterpiece of a video game a negative score. Crybabies that no nothing about what makes a game playable and fun. This game is just that: playable and fun. The story, albeit dark, is brilliantly told, (there is one mission in particular that is absolute genius) the set of characters are the more colorful and engaging of any GTA game so far and the gameplay is polished. Oh, and the graphics are not bad at all. The effect used to make a rainy day look bleak and depressing is phenomenal. Make no mistake. This game deserves the hype. Expand
  93. Sep 29, 2013
    No me maten, pero en mi opinión personal hubiera podido ser infinitamente mejor, pero cuando digo "infinitamente" significa que obviamente y conociendo a Rockstar hubieran podido hacer algo excesivamente mejor. Un mapa muy pequeño, gráficos que dejan mucho que desear, la jugabilidad es mala, no puedes hacer tanta variedad de cosas como en las anteriores entregas. Pero me diviertoNo me maten, pero en mi opinión personal hubiera podido ser infinitamente mejor, pero cuando digo "infinitamente" significa que obviamente y conociendo a Rockstar hubieran podido hacer algo excesivamente mejor. Un mapa muy pequeño, gráficos que dejan mucho que desear, la jugabilidad es mala, no puedes hacer tanta variedad de cosas como en las anteriores entregas. Pero me divierto atropellando peatones y tirándome desde los techos, pero me hace quedar como idiota, espero que se esfuercen con "Grand Theft Auto V". Expand
  94. Oct 11, 2013
    This game is completely and utterly terrible. Its boring and repetitive and ridiculously frustrating. The only thing I liked was the city. Liberty City breathes and feels real, That's the only thing I like about this game, other then that, it's simply terrible and a waste of money. Even the textures are terrible for its time.
  95. Feb 16, 2014
    I cannot understand how this game is universally acclaimed. For starters, it has way too many flaws. The story is good, but that's the point - the game's all story and no gameplay, to the point that you have to create the gameplay yourself by going and smashing stuff up, diverging from the plot. And as a story gamer, that is something I simply can't do - Early in the game it destroysI cannot understand how this game is universally acclaimed. For starters, it has way too many flaws. The story is good, but that's the point - the game's all story and no gameplay, to the point that you have to create the gameplay yourself by going and smashing stuff up, diverging from the plot. And as a story gamer, that is something I simply can't do - Early in the game it destroys Nico's character. In addition, the car controls are awful - it feels like I'm driving on a black-ice rink. The missions are boring too - it's just "go drive somewhere and wach a cutscene" or ""take this girl out on a date". In a game like GTA, I want ACTION, not boring stuff like this. I bought this game, expecting something amazing. But what I got was something very, very boring. Grand Theft Auto IV is thoroughly boring and hideously overrated. I might as well play Saints Row, it's the same gamee but done right! Expand
  96. Feb 25, 2014
    This the most over rated game to recent memory. I couldn't even finish the damn game it was so **** boring. I mean seriously wtf happened San Andreas and Vice City were so epic funny and awesome. Lets start with the Posatives. the world feels alive and realistic probably the most acurate adaptation of New York City. Plus it has that good American Dream story. Negatives. The Graphics areThis the most over rated game to recent memory. I couldn't even finish the damn game it was so **** boring. I mean seriously wtf happened San Andreas and Vice City were so epic funny and awesome. Lets start with the Posatives. the world feels alive and realistic probably the most acurate adaptation of New York City. Plus it has that good American Dream story. Negatives. The Graphics are awful Resident Evil 4 had better graphics and that was on the PS2. Niko is so **** boring Johnny Gat is a way more interesting and fun character. It has a terrible cover system and a god awful shooting mechanic. And last but not least these radio stations suck complete ass I mean wtf happened SA and VC had way better stations. Saints Row 2 has better stations too. As i began with this review this is the most over rated game to date. Expand
  97. Mar 21, 2014
    This game has the worst controls. I was terribly disappointed with the vehicle dynamics and controls. If any mission involves a vehicle chase, i just keep cursing the game controls and show a lot of misplaced anger towards my controller. Missions with bike chases are even more dreadful. I have given a 'three' rating for the exciting game-world with a lot happening around. The randomThis game has the worst controls. I was terribly disappointed with the vehicle dynamics and controls. If any mission involves a vehicle chase, i just keep cursing the game controls and show a lot of misplaced anger towards my controller. Missions with bike chases are even more dreadful. I have given a 'three' rating for the exciting game-world with a lot happening around. The random characters and side-missions are pretty good, even though i miss the taxi/ambulance/firefighting missions. The story-line is pretty bland and so are most of the characters. The nature of missions are also somewhat boring, repetitive and monotonous. This in no way comes close to the quality and excitement of vice city and san andreas missions. The 'Friendship' and 'Dating' activities were interesting at the start but became too irritating as we get more indulged with the missions. Expand
  98. Jun 2, 2014
    Genuine proof that Metacritic is bought and paid. How the hell did they earn this kind of rating for a GTA game? Not to mention this is undoubtedly the worst in a series that reached its peak with GTA 2.
  99. Feb 16, 2015
    Overrated piece of **** just like Ocarina of Time, worst GTA of them all....................................................................................................................

1. Grand Theft Auto IV is not a perfect game, but it is fantastic through and through, from start to finish and beyond. It is so massive, vast and impressive that it is almost mind-boggling to imagine how much work must have gone into the game to come up with so much detail.
  2. But GTA IV will never get old, or start repeating itself. It will always offer anyone who turns it on an experience to savour.
  3. GTA4 is a traditional crime story through and through, with a script that rarely strays from its purpose, a pitch-perfect supporting cast, and an expert combination of in-game storytelling and crafted cut-scenes. [June 2008, p.80]