Homefront PlayStation 3

5.7

1. Mar 15, 2011
    i am really enjoying playing a good game that isnt COD!!!! i like the larger maps and vehicles, im new to it because ive never played battlefield or anything like that. the campaign is short but i look at it as more of a tutorial for the multiplayer, and honestly i actually like shorter campaigns.
  2. Mar 15, 2011
    The single player is a bit short, but that is not what I purchased the game for. I got it for the multiplayer experience and must say I am quite pleased with it. Looking forward to many hours of fun to come!
  3. Mar 15, 2011
    Great, bold storyline. Eventhough the campign is short, I think it's just the right duration since multiplayer compensate the lifespan of the game. Hope THQ makes a sequel for it. Keep it coming!
  4. Mar 15, 2011
    Homefront is a fine game if you give it a chance. The graphics and sound,( voice acting in particular) are poor compared to bombs like BFBC2 or KZ3, and the capaign is shockingly short. I find the excellent multiplayer makes up for this though - once the controls sink in and you begin to adapt to the shoddy graphics there is a lot of fun to be had here. And no, its nothing like COD.Homefront is a fine game if you give it a chance. The graphics and sound,( voice acting in particular) are poor compared to bombs like BFBC2 or KZ3, and the capaign is shockingly short. I find the excellent multiplayer makes up for this though - once the controls sink in and you begin to adapt to the shoddy graphics there is a lot of fun to be had here. And no, its nothing like COD. Comparing games like BFBC2 and Homefront to COD is akin to comparing Gran Tourismo to Ridge Racer...HF is a squad based game, if you run around by yourself like a headless chicken hunting for kills you will be dead continuosly. Over HF does a great job in recreating large scale battles in a (somewhat) fresh environment, 32 players on a map is something we dont see too much of on console, vehicular combat, drones etc are easy to control and offer a satisfying experience regardless of skill level. Expand
  5. Mar 16, 2011
    First time writing a review on metacritic so please bear with me a little and take the time to read the review.

Homefront. Yes, it is another First Person Shooter. Yes it is made put out by THQ and not by the likes of EA or Activision. I have a feeling if it had been people would be praising it more than they are. In a world dominated by first person shooters like Call of Duty, Killzone, Medal of Honor, and that Halo franchise on the other console, it's hard for most people to not be going into a game expecting those other games. I give Homefront some major props for being slightly different and focusing on the single player story even though it is essentially a five hour campaign. It has what all the other COD games lack. Heart. A lot of what I am hearing people complain about are the graphics, the short single player, the sound...Since when do video games have to have such a high level of gloss to them to be good? Doesn't anyone remember the Pac Man era. It wasn't about graphics it was about how much fun you had playing the game. And that is where Homefront stood out for me. The gameplay is very familiar to anyone that has ever played a first person shooter so picking it up and playing it out of the box was simple. The thing that it has going for it though is the fact that it's actually fun to play. Even though the single player is short I was still enjoying every second of it. Then there's the multi player. The best way to describe it is by saying COD, Medal of Honor, and Battlefield had a child together. The only thing I was disappointed with was the fact that they didn't include destructible environments like those from Battlefield. This is my final comment. To gamers out there that feel their games need high levels of polish, go screw yourselves. You obviously don't understand that it isn't the graphics that make a game. It's the playability of the game. Black Ops is broken on so many levels yet people were hailing it as the best COD game to date. I am sorry, it's the worst COD game to date if you ask me. Homefront is a nice addition to the world of First Person Shooters and I hope they do make a second one and work out some of the minor flaws the first one has.
  6. Mar 15, 2011
    I must applaud to THQ for creating a game that's risky yet touches emotions. Never thought anyone would recreate the classic gameplay of Half-Life and give it a new twist. Despite the graphics not being competitive with Battlefield and COD, it was the least of my concerns since the campaign was so unique and inspiring with multiplayer features topping recent FPS games.
  7. Mar 15, 2011
    Wow! This game is brilliant! I love the graphics eventhough they are not the best I have seen, they are definitly atmospheric and also the story is very exciting. The characters are very well chosen and they make this game feel "real" and dramatic. It's like a movie you cannout stop to watch. It reminds me a bit of the TV series Jericho.

For me one of the best singleplayergames since

For me one of the best singleplayergames since Half-Life. Or even better, due to the characters.
  8. Mar 16, 2011
    I give Homefront a generous 8. and i will start with the campaign. i am an avid fps shooter fan, i try to play them all, and with that said i beat homefront in just under 3 hours. if your good at shooters this is going to be one of the shortest games you have ever played. the graphics are really bad, the voice acting is ok, and the premisce of the story is awesome. unfortunately this storyI give Homefront a generous 8. and i will start with the campaign. i am an avid fps shooter fan, i try to play them all, and with that said i beat homefront in just under 3 hours. if your good at shooters this is going to be one of the shortest games you have ever played. the graphics are really bad, the voice acting is ok, and the premisce of the story is awesome. unfortunately this story needed to be one of the best, since it was written and inspired by red dawn and apocalypse now, my biggest problem is that i am so sick and tired of the silent protagonist! nothing rips you right out of the story like a mute emotionless doll, also there isnt a whole lot of dialog to this game to begin with which is unfortunate. the gameplay is solid. (you may have to tweak sensitivity) this game also has fairly realistic damage, it only takes a couple shots to kill someone. if you dont play multiplayer this game is easily a 5 at best. but onto the multiplayer. the multiplayer is great! im going to use comparisons to describe homefronts mp. take battlefield bad company 2's lvl design, mix in call of duties adictive class and leveling system, and throw in some new twists and you have yourself a really good online shooter. now the twists are things called battle points that you earn for doing things for your team, or racking up kills, you spend theses points in battle to buy rpg's,flak jackets, predator missiles, uavs, and so on which is pretty cool. they also have a game type where one of your team mates is the leader and they can issue squad commands and pair team mates off to go complete tasks. I really suggest renting this game, because its not for everyone, this really is a good game and if it sounds like your cup 'o' tea it might be worth a purchase. i bought it and I dont regret it one bit Expand
  9. Mar 16, 2011
    i picked the game up today & beat the SP Campaign with in 5 hours. for me this was disappointing because this game was hyped for it's story driven SP campaign mode. however, the story itself is really good, just a few hours too short. i really hope they do a really expansive DLC for the story mode. there will be sequels! i then played a few hours online multiplayer. like with any gamei picked the game up today & beat the SP Campaign with in 5 hours. for me this was disappointing because this game was hyped for it's story driven SP campaign mode. however, the story itself is really good, just a few hours too short. i really hope they do a really expansive DLC for the story mode. there will be sequels! i then played a few hours online multiplayer. like with any game it takes a little time to get used to it. overall i'm having fun with it. the maps are larger, more players on a map means that people can't camp out like in COD:BO. i like the fact that you can play in vehicles. one thing i don't like is that i have to spend BP=battle points to use my rocket launcher or drones, and etc. i like this game, can't say it's great and can't say it's horrible either. however, i can say it's fun. let's face it people HALO, COD, BF all had to start somewhere. just remember play the game and decide for yourselves if you like it or not, and there will always be people who have something positive and something negative to say about anything and everything. Expand
  10. Mar 16, 2011
    Bad: Alright the bad, its simple the story line is not the greatest in the world you dont open doors you don't interact in any way and you feel your just a camera with a gun and not a person, you dont feel the belonging and the satisfaction in what your doing. the story is great but its the little suttle things that break the single player. Good: Although the story line lacks in immersionBad: Alright the bad, its simple the story line is not the greatest in the world you dont open doors you don't interact in any way and you feel your just a camera with a gun and not a person, you dont feel the belonging and the satisfaction in what your doing. the story is great but its the little suttle things that break the single player. Good: Although the story line lacks in immersion and emotion there are some parts where i found my self going "woo!" even though it was very few times. The multiplayer is solid and fun,the new way kaos spun the whole fps style of game is a fresh change from the run shoot run shoot game of call of duty etc. etc. its satisfying to play and you can quickly lose time playing it. The map design is good, the maps let you have more then one way to approach your enemy and if your not smart you can get caught with your pants down quickly. As i see it the guns are balanced and there all fun to use. as you can see the multpiplayer is the reason to get this game.

Other notes: this game over all is a 9/10 in my book the multiplayer is simply just fair and caters to a lot of play styles. this game only has one downfall and its the single player and to the point of graphics im not even doing a review on them because in all honestly it does not hinder or help the gameplay and im ashamed of so called gamers that put in account that graphics ever counted in games. well there is my review that wont even matter. as a wise person once said haters gonna hate.
  11. Mar 16, 2011
    The story line is great, but the graphics arent up to date, however this was the same with cod black ops and other games so that is no problem at all (so people who still think its bad, shut the hell up ;) no really, dont say anything )The rest of the game is great as well, gameplay works good, multiplayer is great, perhaps even better than cod because of the vehicles. A sequel is wanted :D
  12. Mar 17, 2011
    I am loving this game. Sure the campaign is short and extremely scripted, but that doesn't make it any less fun (for me at least) to play while it lasts. It's not significantly shorter or more scripted than CodBlops and I care more about the story line and characters here than the garbage in Cod. Where the game really shines is in multiplayer. Launch week "Servers overloaded" growing painsI am loving this game. Sure the campaign is short and extremely scripted, but that doesn't make it any less fun (for me at least) to play while it lasts. It's not significantly shorter or more scripted than CodBlops and I care more about the story line and characters here than the garbage in Cod. Where the game really shines is in multiplayer. Launch week "Servers overloaded" growing pains aside, I've had no problems getting into games. The maps are huge, the in game battle points system is great and makes the matches very dynamic. As a side note - dear god people...turn off your friggin' headsets if you're not talking to other players on the team. I don't need to hear your wife yelling at you to turn of the console, or your kids screaming in the background...I certainly don't give a crap what music you're listening to while you play :( Expand
  13. Mar 17, 2011
    Avec une durée de vie dans la moyenne des FPS actuels, une histoire intéressante (et ça c'est relativement rare dans le genre), des doublages français réussis, Homefront ne pèche à mes yeux que par des graphismes un peu en retrait. En revanche les niveaux traversés sont vraiment sympa etAvec une durée de vie dans la moyenne des FPS actuels, une histoire intéressante (et ça c'est relativement rare dans le genre), des doublages français réussis, Homefront ne pèche à mes yeux que par des graphismes un peu en retrait. En revanche les niveaux traversés sont vraiment sympa et l'ambiance résistance est vraiment bien retranscrite. En définitive, je suis plus que satisfait de mon acquisition malgré les réserves des tests de "professionnels" Expand
  14. Mar 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am so glad I got this game. I had some doubts but..
    Single player _ i don't care, seems to be ok but I dont care about the story in shooters.

Multi- man it rocks.

Graphics are not that bad to be honest, I don't get the fuss about it.

BUY IT if you are after online exp.
  15. Mar 17, 2011
    I think this games story is trying to tell us something. For us (Americans) will take us for a ride of the unthinkable, a US invasion by the Korean Union or something. I find this story to be very interesting. I can only hope the game is as good as I imagine it. By the way this was a remake of the old 80's movie Red Dawn.
  16. Mar 18, 2011
    Homefront delivers on the Multiplayer game. That alone deserves a 10. The Single Player campaign was short, but poignant and in today's linear progression SP campaigns, was expected. Just, the MP game is so much fun. Addicted.
  17. Mar 29, 2011
    one of the best multiplayer games i haveone of the best multiplayer games i have played....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... Expand
  18. Jul 7, 2011
    I just picked up the game today and looking at some of these comments alot of these issues have fixed. So far the only glitch I have encountered are my stats getting reset randomly during online play. That is lame but you can fix it by backing up your game profile to a usb drive every now and then. Otherwise I have not froze once, enountered much lag or anything game breaking. HonestlyI just picked up the game today and looking at some of these comments alot of these issues have fixed. So far the only glitch I have encountered are my stats getting reset randomly during online play. That is lame but you can fix it by backing up your game profile to a usb drive every now and then. Otherwise I have not froze once, enountered much lag or anything game breaking. Honestly this game is for multiplayer gameplay as the singleplay is laughably short and stupid. So with that being said it is its fun experience and something new from the mega casual copy and pasted call of duty clones on the market. If you find this game on sale I recommend you pick it up right away as they are planning on patching the game further and are coming out with DLC soon! Expand
  19. Aug 1, 2011
    This game is very under rated. Yes, the campaign is short, but its really good, and story driven. But the real fun lies within the multiplayer. It is very fleshes out, lots of guns, perks, and customization on the guns. The only problems i have is the graphics could be a lot better, needs more maps, and its sometimes hard to find a match with enough people to play. But a very fun game.
  20. Aug 24, 2012
    I have to completely agree with the negative reviews submitted here, so much that i subscribed to metacritic in the hope to warn other gamers of this atrocity. Firstly, Single player campaign, to put bluntly, GASH, too short, poor graphics, dialogue, lack of originality, empty, cliche ridden characters, just poorly designed really.
  21. Jul 26, 2011
    very nice game, i have finished it for two days ago and want to do it again! about multiplayer? i havent words to describe it!
  22. Mar 19, 2011
    Single Player seems a bit generic but still quite fun, but mulitiplayer is where ith shines. Fast paced but balanced and quite tactical. I would put it somewhere between mw2 and bfbc2.
  23. Mar 31, 2011
    Well, the singe player is short ,and the graphics are not awesome,but they are OK. They have tried to do something different with the story and that's all for the better as **** boring doing the same stories over and over again, unlike many other well know FPS they have tried to bring some kind of emotion to it. E.G Seeing a kid cry, hanging corpses, a mass grave. Some say this is tooWell, the singe player is short ,and the graphics are not awesome,but they are OK. They have tried to do something different with the story and that's all for the better as **** boring doing the same stories over and over again, unlike many other well know FPS they have tried to bring some kind of emotion to it. E.G Seeing a kid cry, hanging corpses, a mass grave. Some say this is too much,but that's what happens in real war,but the polish could have been better. However, on the multiplayer after a few hiccups, i can say this is way better than Call of Duty.Yes it is bigger and better than CoD full stop! It borrows from BFBC2 and makes CoD better,what it lacks in one area, it is certainly made up for in the Multiplayer.
    If you are rubbish at FPS this is fine as you earn your perks just by taking part.No more running and gunning, although you can if you wish and It is pretty well balanced. If you like Vehicles, Tanks,Drones, Heiicopters, Bombs ,RPGs, Sniping, they are all within the players reach, unlike some other FPS where you have to get those kill streaks.pretty hard if youre not good at FPS
    This is Pretty good game,fun to boot and i think this is way better than CoD.
  24. Apr 19, 2011
    Mainly directed @ thegospel, i have never had that problem, i have never had invisible walls or my character freezing or having to use a whole clip on an enemy to kill them, i haven't really had anything at all that has gone wrong with yours so maybe you had a faulty disk. Sure the single-player is way too short and the graphics aren't the best but they have tried to make a differentMainly directed @ thegospel, i have never had that problem, i have never had invisible walls or my character freezing or having to use a whole clip on an enemy to kill them, i haven't really had anything at all that has gone wrong with yours so maybe you had a faulty disk. Sure the single-player is way too short and the graphics aren't the best but they have tried to make a different storyline to all the other main stream FPS'. On the other hand though the multiplayer is great, sure there were a lot of connection problems online and my ps3 did freeze a couple of times but THQ have just released a big update which i have found has sorted everything out online, for me anyway. I still think that its worth playing, maybe not as good as the other FPS' butfor its first try at mainstream FPS I think that THQ have had a good go at it and hopefully they will have fixed and polished out any faults that were found in this game Expand
  25. Oct 11, 2011
    Everyone Talks about Call Of Duty, Halo Or Medal Of Honor, but really what they should be thinking about is HOME FRONT, which in my eyes is the best FPS ever made
  26. Jan 2, 2012
    the story may be short. but the levels are awesome.. the controls are great and homefront has my favorite campain of any fps game. the multiplayer is just as good. despite almost no game modes if you just play team deathmatch youll be fine
  27. Mar 24, 2013
    10-Presentation; Well written story, amazing atmosphere, and well built characters with interesting dialogue and personality. The menu's are well laid out.
    7-Graphics; Nothing new or exciting. Looks dated.
    9-Sound; Amazing sound effects, great voice acting, and excellent music make this the best sounding shooter I've ever played. 9-Gameplay; Excellent levels and controls, and great AI
    7-Graphics; Nothing new or exciting. Looks dated.
    9-Gameplay; Excellent levels and controls, and great AI and mechanics.
    8-Lasting appeal; The single player is short, but the multiplayer will take months to unlock everything. And the hidden newspapers throughout the campaign add to the replay value.
    Overall-8.5/10

1. May 24, 2011
    The story is way too short and the multiplayer doesn't deliver the fun you know from the Call of Duty or Battlefield games.
  2. May 17, 2011
    I'll admit that I've played games that are technically worse than Homefront, but I have not played a game that irritated me as much as this in a very long time.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Apr 20, 2011
    There isn't really a climax. It just finishes, coitus interruptus-style. [May 2011, p.114]