Homefront PlayStation 3

5.7

1. Mar 15, 2011
    This game is pretty cool, I have a lot of mixed feelings about it. The A.I. is absolutely horrible. Your teammates are completely worthless, (they are super slow, and seem to always be in the way). The game is super short. No complaints there though, it ended when it started to get repetitive. The multiplayer is actually the best part of the game. I just feel that the campaign had anThis game is pretty cool, I have a lot of mixed feelings about it. The A.I. is absolutely horrible. Your teammates are completely worthless, (they are super slow, and seem to always be in the way). The game is super short. No complaints there though, it ended when it started to get repetitive. The multiplayer is actually the best part of the game. I just feel that the campaign had an enormous amount of potential. Oh and the weapons are cool too. But I suggest renting before buying. Overall a good game, perfect for a game to rent and beat. Expand
  2. Aug 24, 2011
    Let's get straight to the point, Homefront is not a "0" game. Any reviewer who has awarded this game a "0" is clearly under the influence every FPS title should be Battlefield, COD or Killzone. However, if you paid the full RRP price for Homefront then its perfectly understandable for you to be feeling robbed, espeically if you purchased the game for its single player because there's notLet's get straight to the point, Homefront is not a "0" game. Any reviewer who has awarded this game a "0" is clearly under the influence every FPS title should be Battlefield, COD or Killzone. However, if you paid the full RRP price for Homefront then its perfectly understandable for you to be feeling robbed, espeically if you purchased the game for its single player because there's not much of it! That's not to say it's a bad game. I got this game for a relatively cheap price and even then I still wanted more from the game, in a single player sense as there really should be more game time, put it this way if you think COD MW/MW2 are short then your in for a rude awakening here. The idea behind Homefront is very brave but kind of genius! It's a breathe of fresh air from certain other FPS, its the year 2027, America has fallen and is now controlled by a the two unified Korean nations who have established themselves as the most dominant superpower in the world. Join the resistance and fight for freedom as "home is where the war is." And after all the big build up and hype you will be left with the thinking, really? Thats it? The game stops just s its seemingly get started and its hugely frustrating because you will find yourself engaged in Homefront as it is really immersive. The concept is wonderful its just the execution that is lacking like many have said however the atmosphere that KAOS have managed to create is gritty, heartfelt and shocking right from the beginning from when your passing by innocents being executed in the streets and hearing a child break their hearts afterwards it was a bold move but it pays off as you get the sense of how horrific times are. The history/back story shown at the beginning of the game is also fantastic giving you an insight into the rise of Korea. That aside, its far from the most attractive game. Sure there are some great locations to play through but the graphics department is lacking. Importantly because of how short it is, its enjoyable while it lasts. It plays a treat like most other shooters its solid enough and sticks to tried and trusted formula. The shooting system is simple and engages you from the off, so there can't really be any major complaints regarding gameplay other than the lifespan, one mission see's you controlling a plane overseeing an important task which brings variety, whilst a couple of missions see you take control of Goliath, a semi-autonomous attack vehicle. Its far from boring, aside from the few cliches thrown in with characters (the patriotic, egotistic Connor) although the only complaint I have is it that it takes to long for you to really get a connection with the characters, i.e very near the end! Fortunately multiplayer is the opposite. It's superb! Hugely engaging it will have you entertained for hours on end it really is some truely excellent stuff. Again, there are no significant modes added however Homefront does have its own individual innovation with a battle points system which is rewarding as you can purchase new weapons and vehicles by taking on objectives and getting kills. You really can't go wrong online with Homefront it pushes itself up their with the very best and is a worthy competitor. Overall, i'm not disappointed with what Homefront had to offer in single player but just offended really by how short it turns out to be because the potential is there for a solid game and just when you really start to get going it ends, from nowhere! That being said its a good alternative and something refreshing, if THQ can learn from the mistakes and a sequel is made, they could very much be on to a winner because the online side is solid and spectacular. To put it simply if you crave a FPS for its storymode then Homefront isn't your answer, rent it if you must because its worth a look however if its multiplayer that wets your appetite then dive in because you can't go wrong here. Expand
  3. Apr 1, 2011
    I have to say I am totally shocked about the review I have been reading. I broke down and bought it despite all the horrible review and I was so glad I did. Not one issue can I complain about except that it was pretty short but not as short as I was expecting. No problems when it came to the frame rate, hit detection was on point and guns had a nice sound to them. I can honestly say II have to say I am totally shocked about the review I have been reading. I broke down and bought it despite all the horrible review and I was so glad I did. Not one issue can I complain about except that it was pretty short but not as short as I was expecting. No problems when it came to the frame rate, hit detection was on point and guns had a nice sound to them. I can honestly say I did not have any glitches that made me want to write about it. No it didnt implement any new ideas but to see Amercia in such a devastating and ridiculous situation was very enjoyable. I would say its your typical FPS with unique story and without a doubt, worth a run though at least once. Expand
  4. Jul 23, 2011
    I don't understand why there are so many negative reviews here, I like this game. Yeah, the single player campaigns quite short, but at least there was a unique storyline. How often in games are Koreans the bad guys?! Although the ending was poor, I was sat there saying to myself 'was that it?'.
    Multiplayer saves the single player really, good level design and a good mix of vehicle and hand to hand combat make it a pleasant experience. Ground control can be a little unfair as the team who gets the first round win pretty much always wins overall. The 'battle points' system rather than killstreak rewards is also another good feature as it rewards team players more for their actions, such as kill assists and aiding the capture of a control point. A good job I'd say.
  5. Dec 31, 2011
    The story is really cool. Graphics are bad and controls are wonky but you can assimilate to them easily. The multiplayer has some nice touches but for me don't match up with the BF's and CoD's. Solid game, just not the next blockbuster they were hoping for
  6. Apr 18, 2012
    Homefront is an enjoyable fps with a good story, but there are a few problems with it. The campaign is short like almost all the new fps games. This is disappointing because the plot is interesting. However the campaign has a lot of memorable moments. Gameplay-wise the game is fun just don't expect anything different from other fps games except the story. Same with the graphics, it looksHomefront is an enjoyable fps with a good story, but there are a few problems with it. The campaign is short like almost all the new fps games. This is disappointing because the plot is interesting. However the campaign has a lot of memorable moments. Gameplay-wise the game is fun just don't expect anything different from other fps games except the story. Same with the graphics, it looks good but it isn't revolutionary. Expand
  7. Apr 27, 2012
    They should've made the story longer. 3 hours makes it a little off and updated graphics. Honestly it looks like Fallout and Oblivion and those are already showing their age. Well since it is a 32 player game I guess that they had to cut down the quality in order to have the 32 cap work I guess but there is lag issues still but they are some what fixed.
  8. Dec 19, 2014
    Very short but also enjoyable. The story is alright but nothing special, just the cliche good and bad, black and white blablabla with quiet forgettable characters. The gameplay is solid but also nothing special, just a average experience. If you have some hours to kill, you should give this one a try.
  9. Mar 17, 2011
    First of All, I'm really tired of seeing people rating a game "0" when CLEARLY, it does NOT deserve it. Just because you can't open the doors, or the length of the game is short, or you just personally don't like the story, doesn't mean the game is a serious "0". All aspects of the game need to be taken into consideration. This is NOT the best FPS out there. its "O.K."! The graphics areFirst of All, I'm really tired of seeing people rating a game "0" when CLEARLY, it does NOT deserve it. Just because you can't open the doors, or the length of the game is short, or you just personally don't like the story, doesn't mean the game is a serious "0". All aspects of the game need to be taken into consideration. This is NOT the best FPS out there. its "O.K."! The graphics are mediocre. The sound is 'alright'. The story has a good concept, but it doesn't quite catch my attention (personally). Online is Actually pretty good! I can see a lot of hours being spent online because the variety is great. GOTY? Negative! ....But definitely worth some time if your looking for a FPS to play. Expand
  10. Mar 21, 2011
    Its time to push the hype to the side of the plate like some cold vegetables and get stuck into the roast beef that is Homefront the Game! You know what I mean :o)

The review scores have been low mostly and the hype surrounding the subject matter has dominated the pre-release headlines - so is it any good? Well the answer is - sort of. The single player campaign is as gritty as the hype

The single player campaign is as gritty as the hype has suggested and the story does not pull its punches. Within the first hours of playing you witness executions and are introduced to a desperate group of resistance fighters who are rescuing you, Jacobs, some hot shot pilot who is the only man for a job that I haven't been told about yet.

The graphics are nothing special (Think BattleField Bad Company 1 and you are close) though the presentation is clear and I have had no problems with navigating around the various environments in the first few levels.

Gameplay is basic FPS formula, and the enemy is challenging enough but I don't think the AI is that intelligent. This feels more like Bad Company that COD in game play with some limited freedom as oppose to being herded down a tunnel of on coming gunfire.

The highlight so far is the Goliath - some sort of overgrown RC car that you can use to take out tanks and gun nests!

The multiplayer is buggy - lets get that straight - it took literally an hour for me to eventually get a game and even then the console froze forcing a reboot about half a dozen times. Lets assume this gets fixed and move on rapidly..

I only played the Team Death Match equivalent mode - so i could focus on getting used to the controls and various loadout options. The class / load out system is very good and works similarly to Call of Duty in that you can customise weapons with scopes and grenade launchers etc. You can also customise per load out your kill streak rewards. Though in HomeFront its not a killstreak reward - you collect BP Battle points which you can spend on perks, upgrades or other options such as spy drones air strikes etc. These points can be saved up throughout the game and you don't lose them when you die; so you can still benefit from and experience using these little extras even if you can't string 2 kills together.

It is early days yet but I think the game has a future in my console - once they fix the multiplayer bugs.
  11. Mar 21, 2011
    Well were to start. When i purchased this game on the PS3 i wasn't expecting a combination sort of product of COD and Battlefield. I was however expecting a game that changed the dynamic of FPS titles and set itself apart from other FPS titles out there. This game however did not do any of that in my eyes. Well were to start. When i purchased this game on the PS3 i wasn't expecting aWell were to start. When i purchased this game on the PS3 i wasn't expecting a combination sort of product of COD and Battlefield. I was however expecting a game that changed the dynamic of FPS titles and set itself apart from other FPS titles out there. This game however did not do any of that in my eyes. Well were to start. When i purchased this game on the PS3 i wasn't expecting a combination sort of product of COD and Battlefield. I was however expecting a game that changed the dynamic of FPS titles and set itself apart from other FPS titles out there. This game however did not do any of that in my eyes. I'll begin with the Single Player (SP): It was a drag campaign that felt more like a chore then any kind of experience, the AI element was a mixture of bad and good (mostly bad), the story progressed around you as if you were the only member of the Resistance fighting the KPA (Korean People's Army), there were many scripted battles that really became annoying and the dialogue sequences didn't really fit in well (NPC's talking to them self's while you were in another room), strangely as a major role in the Resistance movement your character never speaks a word. As one progresses through the story it becomes obvious that each new story mission is actually just a repeat of the last, you'll end up getting into a fight with KPA and they'll send masses of men and vehicles (in scripted form) against you and you'll repel them while having to run around the area looking for ammo from every dead opponent as ammo is incredibly sparse. Now to the aspect of this game that had me most intrigued the Multi-Player (MP). The MP is as basic as it gets, you have a standard and tired XP promotion system that awards points on your performance in-game, however the element that sets homefront apart form other FPS's is the Battle Points (BP) system, this system awards players in-game with points according to every action you perform (Kill, Assist, Capture etc). This points can be used then to purchase all manner of upgrades for you soldier such as Drones, UCAV's (Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicle), 4x4 Jeeps, APC, Tanks and Helicopters. This removes the Battlefield style rush for vehicles as every player can now have a vehicle if they can afford to buy it. However even with this new feature the MP gameplay is pretty bad (bad hit detection, camping for BP, minimal splash damage, no bullet penetration, Etc Etc) and the lack of MP game-modes regrettable, there are 5 playable game-modes: 1: Ground Control (GC) 2: Team Deathmatch (TDM). 3: Skirmish (GC and TDM with less players). And The Battle Commander Mode (BC) which is the above game modes with less players and an AI controlled commander issuing you Orders or Target Bounties on the Enemy Team. Well thats basically it. This game did not live up to the Hype THQ put around it and it certainly will not replace COD or Battlefield as the main FPS on the market, not if it contines like this anyway. Hopefully if a sequel is planned Kaos Studios will learn form their mistakes and get this game into the current generation of Platforms not the last generation.

Here's some basic Pros and Cons:

Pros:
    - The Single Player (SP) Story is something new and fresh.
    - The Environment in which the SP takes place brings you into the mindset of the Resistance.

- The Multi-Player (MP) Battle Points (BP) system is entertaining.
    - Lots of Weapon Attachments and Camo's available.
    - MP Weapon Attachments are available after certain kill counts with weapons.
    - Vehicle Warfare however limited is fun.
    - Battle Commander Gives MP some extending play time.

Cons:
    - Single Player Story is too short and doesn't immerse you into the world of the Resistance.
    - Single Player AI is tired and stupid.

- MP gets boring and repetitive rather quickly.
    - Limited choice of weapons in MP.
    - No Epic Vehicular Warfare.
    - Camping and Excessive Sniping.
    - No Bullet Penetration.
    - Minimal Splash Damage from High-Caliber Weapons.
    - Terrible Hit Detection.
    - Horrible Weapon Damage System.
  12. Nov 18, 2012
    Generic, not so fun. The gameplay feels sluggish. Graphics are horrible. Its just not very fun. Story isn't too interesting either.
  13. Oct 21, 2016
    First let me say that this review concern only the campaign as the multiplayer is dead by now.
    Homefront was supposed to be the new big franchise in the FPS world and the savior of THQ. That obviously failed but let's see why.

Technically the game is severely bugged, and by the worst kind in my opinion : freeze, in the short time it took me to finish the game I froze 5 times, its unacceptable even more considering that the game looked pretty average for 2011 and there's no reason the hardware couldn't handle that.

The gameplay is classic FPS from this generation (corridor levels, auto healing, cinematic direction) every one will have its own opinion on it (personally I like it but still prefer the old school style) but what is certain is that the game doesn't had anything and is clearly attempting to copy Call of Duty. It is fun (and challenging in the hardest mode) but not as good as the original.

The story is certainly the most interesting part with a dystopian modern conflict where North Korea is the most powerful country in the world and has invaded the USA. Even if the story is of the most simple kind the setting is original and I personally love to play a rebel (like in the awesome Freedom Fighters on PS2). But don't expect to be a rebel for very long as you can finish the game under 5 hours, which is way too short, and if the game cost was higher than the 5 €/$ that you can find in stores it would kill all interest in the game.

In conclusion Homefront was way over hyped, its technical weakness and lack of gameplay identity don't make its short campaign advisable to FPS players, unless the setting really attracts you and that you've already played most of the competition, don't buy it.
  14. Mar 21, 2011
    Overall concept is awesome, execution is not. I found that a real shame as now no one else can use this type of storyline to make a better game..
  15. Mar 18, 2011
    I have to agree with most, that the story is very original. I went into this game with high hopes, but from the first 15 min of gameplay I have to admit I was very let down. The graphics look like a game that should've been released during the second year of the current generation consoles. The audio is underwhelming for me as well. The gameplay was nothing new and the AI is absolutelyI have to agree with most, that the story is very original. I went into this game with high hopes, but from the first 15 min of gameplay I have to admit I was very let down. The graphics look like a game that should've been released during the second year of the current generation consoles. The audio is underwhelming for me as well. The gameplay was nothing new and the AI is absolutely ridiculous. Multiplayer is the only saving grace for this game and unfortunately it doesn't stack up to BFBC2 which is my game of choice. I can only recommend this game as a weekend rental. Expand
  16. Mar 16, 2011
    i didnt really enjoy this game the campaign is too short for my liking and the graphics arent the best but that would be forgivable if the online play was any good. i was looking forward to another shooter game that could rival CoD and Bad co but this is not going to be the game that changes how ppl feel about CoD and i hate to say it but stick to CoD and maybe just give this game a rental try
  17. Apr 10, 2011
    **READ THIS** Ok so this game has the shortest story mode I've ever played on a video game in my life. but i didn't really care because i like multi player better BUT when i played this game online it was a disaster. When you play online 80% of players go on roofs and camp with snipers. This game has way too many places to camp thats what ruins the multi player expirence if you are**READ THIS** Ok so this game has the shortest story mode I've ever played on a video game in my life. but i didn't really care because i like multi player better BUT when i played this game online it was a disaster. When you play online 80% of players go on roofs and camp with snipers. This game has way too many places to camp thats what ruins the multi player expirence if you are interested in this game because you hate campers on COD games this game is no different its like MW2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 had a bastard child.. i would stay away from this game unless you can deal with the anger of getting killed from 5 miles away by a sniper when you barely spawn. spawns on this game are WAY TOO PREDICTABLE this game is too easy to camp and also your constantly getting spawn trapped. Expand
  18. Aug 17, 2011
    People have told me that Homefront was a great game, even better than Call of Duty. Well, it's sure not. Homefront is probably one of the most horrible shooters I've ever played. I was very disappointed with the game, so I ended up trading it in. The Campaign is super unrealistic. It's about a resistance force that's fighting the KPA (Koreans People Army) who invaded the United States.People have told me that Homefront was a great game, even better than Call of Duty. Well, it's sure not. Homefront is probably one of the most horrible shooters I've ever played. I was very disappointed with the game, so I ended up trading it in. The Campaign is super unrealistic. It's about a resistance force that's fighting the KPA (Koreans People Army) who invaded the United States. Throughout, you will see that the United States is basically run down and the KPA is basically in charge of everything. You'll even see gas prices at $18 a gallon. The Campaign wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good. Even on the easiest difficulty, expect to get killed a lot. Sometimes it takes up to 20 shots to kill an enemy. Most of the missions were pretty boring. The game did have a ton of potential to be good, but the game was 100% flawed. The Multiplayer mode is another sad impersonation of Call of Duty. It's not even close to being as good as a Call of Duty title. I had many problems with Multiplayer. First, the lack of weapons. With only about 15 primary weapons and only 1 secondary weapon (a default M9 handgun), the game didn't have any variety, and the weapons would eventually get pretty boring. The only good thing about Multiplayer is the vehicles. I did like the way you could drive tanks, operate machine guns on tanks and humvee's, and even fly helicopters with machine guns attached. That is basically the only half-decent thing about the game. Another important part of a Multiplayer game is the maps. Although only a few, the maps offered in the game lack in detail and are rather small. The game also has only three basic game modes. To advance past level 5, a battle code is required, which comes in the box. Sometimes the Battle Codes don't work, and require you to purchase them from the PlayStation Store, which sucks for some. Homefront isn't even worth buying. It had a ton of potential, but it was flawed in many, many ways. If ever a second Homefront, let's sure hope that THQ learns how to make a good shooter game. I highly recommend playing a demo before buying, if you do ever consider it. Just a really bad game from start to end. Expand
  19. Nov 10, 2011
    Do not buy this game. Graphics are really bad, horrible character models, lighting effects, textures, and environments. Sound effects are quite awful as well. Vehicle combat is fun, and the multiplayer is balanced. However, it has alot of glitches and feels laggy most of the time. Playable, but easily forgettable campaign that has been overhyped to the max. A cheap call of duty knock offDo not buy this game. Graphics are really bad, horrible character models, lighting effects, textures, and environments. Sound effects are quite awful as well. Vehicle combat is fun, and the multiplayer is balanced. However, it has alot of glitches and feels laggy most of the time. Playable, but easily forgettable campaign that has been overhyped to the max. A cheap call of duty knock off with a touch of Battlefield (vehicles). Expand
  20. Oct 11, 2012
    Essentially, the plot boils down to North Korea vs. USA. North Korea, in the near future, begins intensifying its nuclear arms management, and eventually threatens South Korea to the point of annexation and unification, leading to the formation of the Greater Korean Republic. This radical change of hands in the Far East goes unopposed as the rest of the world deals with severe problemEssentially, the plot boils down to North Korea vs. USA. North Korea, in the near future, begins intensifying its nuclear arms management, and eventually threatens South Korea to the point of annexation and unification, leading to the formation of the Greater Korean Republic. This radical change of hands in the Far East goes unopposed as the rest of the world deals with severe problem involving the global economy: peak oil is reached, forcing a surge in international gas prices. The United States and allies are forced to retreat from military actions in the Middle East, causing a surge of territorial clashes between middle-eastern governments, both over land, values, and oil. In the US, things become dire as gas prices rise and oil quantities dwindle, leaving the US military and government paralyzed to do anything but try to take care of itself via the National Guard. All the while, the Greater Korean Republic strengthens its totalitarian hold on East Asia, claiming territory on the mainland, then invading Japan unopposed by allied coalitions. Before long, the KPA invades the US mainland in its crippled state, dominating the western coast and heartland, irradiating the Mississippi River, and ousting the American government entirely. You play as... some guy. I honestly can't remember his name, but it's something underdramatic and anglo-saxon; you don't even have the opportunity to see your character in so much as a mirror, and your mute self has no definition whatsoever - quite boring, I must say. What is known is that you're a pilot in Montrose, Colorado, post-occupation, and caught up in a KPA roundup of American citizens for the war-effort. You're fortunately sprung my Resistance leaders, and then join in a clandestine effort to reclaim San Francisco from Korean hands in cahoots with a still active cell of the US Army. Gameplay is very much like a theme-park-rollercoaster-ride. Go here, get on this vehicle, oh now you're not there anymore, pick up that gun, look out bullets, oh geez a grenade, crawl here, shoot that, et. al. It's all very simplistic, and nothing you haven't encountered before in any FPS. And let it be said that the Guerrilla (or extra-hard) difficulty mode is the most frustrating thing you will ever play thru, as enemies only aim at you, and seem to have superhuman accuracy and damaging abilities (the game is best played on Normal or Hard). The graphics are lovely, but what game doesn't have lovely graphics these days? The sound is actually quite fascinating, and it felt like quite a bit of time was spent into some of its nuances. There's one scene in particular where you can look on as Montrose is gunned down and bombed out by Korean helicopters, and the explosions and gunfire in the distance is quite haunting. The real appeal to this game is definitively its campaign mode. With the same writer as the award winning films Apocalypse Now and Red Dawn, the plotline delivered is outstandingly well conceived, and is actually extremely eerie how plausible this Korean takeover is, if give the thought under the game's circumstances. A wealth of backstory is delivered through collectable news clippings, which is a bit of a downside. However, the game is extremely well conceived, written, acted, and delivered, with excellent use of juxtaposition, so the plentiful action throughout the game never seems too overwhelming. At times, the game pushes on modes of cliché a bit too strongly; however, these downsides are forgivable for the dense backstory and the relief in an FPS from the fusillade of space marines cluttering up the gaming market. One of my favourite features in the whole game was Goliath, an automated ATV with a mounted turret and RPG-launcher. You use it in several scenes, and it gives you a strong feeling of superiority whenever you're in control of such a wickedly cool piece of futuristic military hardware, given the option of controlling the rockets at whichever targets you choose. The only downside of the great campaign is its shortness. While this speedy game seems like an eternity on extra-hard difficulty, it's a mere breeze on any other mode. I enjoy how the game never really repeats itself and stays exciting throughout. But by the time it ends, you may feel a little put off by its length, and craving more. Although, I'm sure there are bound to be new incarnations of this game in the future... way to plan out those sequels, there, THQ. Expand
  21. May 31, 2013
    Homefront shows potential for competing with the Call of Duty or Battlefield series but falls short due to some major issues. The campaign is too short and unlike cod your enemies are not Russian ultra-nationalists. I was not able to get emotionally attached to the characters and the graphics don't compete with the latest games but overall i enjoyed every last bit of it.

1. May 24, 2011
    The story is way too short and the multiplayer doesn't deliver the fun you know from the Call of Duty or Battlefield games.
  2. May 17, 2011
    I'll admit that I've played games that are technically worse than Homefront, but I have not played a game that irritated me as much as this in a very long time.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Apr 20, 2011
    There isn't really a climax. It just finishes, coitus interruptus-style. [May 2011, p.114]