7.8

1. Feb 28, 2012
    I have to admit, I didn't enjoy the first Hyperdimension Neptunia much. I liked the characters and the setting, but the game mechanics were just terrible. So it was with great trepidation that I bought Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, hoping that it would just be a LITTLE better than the first game. My expectations were too low, Mk2 completely scraps the old mechanics of the first game and remakes them from the ground up, creating remarkably enjoyable gameplay to go along with the characters and setting we all love. Battles are much more dynamic; characters can roam the battlefield based on their movement stat and set up positional attacks, or block enemy movement. Everything feels much smoother, you won't be jamming L2 to skip attacks all the time like you probably did in the first game. Enemy encounters are also no longer random battles; enemies roam the map and you can choose whether to engage them or not. Random healing has also been done away with, items can be used at any time provided the character has enough AP.

The new characters are all fairly likable, and there's plenty of time given to the old characters as well. The Lily System is a teasingly pseudo-lesbian meter of how much the other characters like the protagonist, Nepgear. It can be raised by fighting alongside characters as well as viewing events in towns. The system allows you to pair two characters together, with the back-row character providing passive bonuses to the character in front. Combo attacks are also available between certain paired characters if their Lily Rank is high enough. Lily Rank (along with character levels, items and money) carries over to New Game+, so if you don't want to worry about it too much in your first playthrough; you can always just see everything you missed in your second.

There are a large number of possible endings, 7 in total, with 2 of them being significantly different from the others and one of them being a non-canon hidden ending that is surprisingly serious and dark in an otherwise cheerful game, no doubt one of the reasons this game received an 'M' rating (that, and a particularly perverse slimeball of a boss). Overall, my only complaint would be that the game is on the easy side overall, with the exception of the optional S-Rank Colosseum fights in New Game+. Those will really push your characters to their limits.

If you liked the first game there's no way in hell that you won't like the sequel, it's an improvement in every way. If you didn't like the first game because of the gameplay but you enjoyed the characters, you may want to consider giving this one another chance.
  2. Feb 28, 2012
    I'm sure that like the previous entry in the series, this game will be reviled by critics. However, you shouldn't let their prejudices sway your opinion. Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2 is leaps above its predecessor. Many of the more annoying or cumbersome mechanics have been fixed, and the game is a joy to play. Is it perfect? No, but it's still immense fun. My only complaint is that the battle system, while being quite excellent compared to the phlegmatically-paced bore that was the first game could still stand to be sped up a little. Expand
  3. May 17, 2012
    Fun story and a great new combat system. A really big improvement over first part. The only reason to not buy is having an allergy on anything anime-like.
  4. Nov 26, 2012
    This game is just awesome in every way!

The Story, the Gameplay, the characters.

I was even lucky to get one of the last limited Editions, just incredible =)
  5. Jun 25, 2012
    I really wish I could read what I'm writing but metacritic blows so the text asking to spoiler endings and all that won't go away making what I've written in the first line entirely unreadable. Any ways hyperdimension neptunia mk2 is a good light hearted title. With interesting combat, tons of story content and a decent variety of maps I like it. Yes you should play this game in secret and never tell your friends, but I'd certainly give it a try if the opportunity arises Expand
  6. Mar 31, 2012
    I went in to Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 with low expectations because of my experience with the first title. What I found was a vastly superior sequel. It seems the developers took the customers input into suggestion and revamped many features in the game( such as a completely new combat system.) The story is little wacky but very enjoyable to follow with multiple ending giving you a reason to NG+. The characters each have their own little background ( idol star, nurse, hero etc.) and can each be expanded upon from chirper events. The combat is turned base with a feature of moving adding in, adding a fun twist to the old age jrpg formula. I've found some characters are better then others in combat but even those characters you don't use can be "partnered" up with one of your active members to give them different bonuses. Some of the side quests can be repetitive but you will complete a lot of them from just grinding or collecting item materials. Also I found the difficulty to be a bit low. Overall this is a huge improvement over the first and is definitely worth a shot for the niche Jrpg fan Expand
  7. Nov 18, 2012
    Gameplay - 10/10. Graphics - 9/10. Sound - 8/10. Overall - 9/10. This was a major improvement in just about every way over the first game. Even though I didn
  8. Jul 8, 2014
    In comparison to the first game, I really can't tell where this game stands.
    The game play is improved, but some of the story and setting things were retconned a bit, it's not a bad change but in my opinion it's not the most intelligent changes, I didn't like that they scrapped the whole goddess worship thing, having that made the character seem more like goddesses, but that may be
    entirely personal opinion.

Either way it's a decent sequel and if you didn't enjoy the first game because of the dungeons or combat i'd say give this a try. (the remake Rebirth 2 doesn't nearly have as many upgrades as Rebirth 1 has over the first game but it's still gonna be out sometime for Vita if you can wait)

1. May 24, 2012
    It would be easy to not recommend Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 since it's so repetitive and not very pretty, and players spend a lot of time reading scripted events. That said, I love the women-one of the villains included-and these weaknesses are part of the game's charm for me.
  2. A sequel nobody asked for, and it knows it. Hugely unnecessary. [May 2012, p78]
  3. Mar 31, 2012
    Combined with technical aspects that feel like it doesn't use its resources well enough, and you have a title that'll only reach RPG fans who want a little fan service on the side. Still, for those people, it's at least worth a rental if you want something other than the big RPG releases from the last few months.