7.9

1. Apr 16, 2013
    For starters, i'm not a huge fan of fighting games or comics. The most i know about superheroes come from movies or from other videogames. Although i never really got into fighting games, Mortal Kombat (2011) was one of the best fighting games i've played in a while. So when i heard that Netherrealms was working on a fighting game with some of the most popular superheroes, some that i've heard of and others that i haven't, i was excited. I picked up the game a few days ago and can say that it's a great fighting game!

First thing i played was the single player. I didn't really think about the storyline very much as i was awaiting the game, but when i played it i was surprised at how good it was. It asks a very intriguing question, What would happen if the superheroes that needed to protect us, became our enemies? Even worse considering that one of the superheroes is superman. I don't want to spoil the game, so i'll keep most of it a surprise.
    The only issues that i've found with the story line is that it's pretty short. I was able to finish it in 5 hours. And that's after dying several times. Another issue, and it's really not that big of an issue but some might be annoyed, is that the cutscenes don't look very good. It's weird to see a game in which the actually gameplay and fighting has better graphics than the cutscenes.

The fighting is pretty smooth. If you like the fighting of MK (2011), then this will be very similar. The long crazy combos are possible, but one will have to put a lot of time and effort into practicing. What i did was pick my favorite character and just spent the entire time getting better with them. The reason that picking one character is best is cause each character is completely different. All 24 are broken up to into power and gadget characters. The names are self explanatory. The power characters are slow, but powerful. The gadget characters are quicker and rely on longer range fighting. Although there are two types of fighters, each fighter in one of the groups is different than one another. Flash, a gadget character is very different than joker. Superman is much different than Lex Luthor. Each character also has a "special power". These are unique, although some are similar, and make fighting very exciting. Bane's super power is that he absorbs more Venom into his system, making him temporarily more powerful. Flash has a power in which he slows down time for a short time. So it's easy to see how game play will change depending on who you're fighting.
    Another interesting addition are the supermoves and clashes. When you fill a bar up you have the ability to do a powerful and very violent move that severely damages your opponent. Although some are a bit underwhelming, most are really satisfying. Clashes are pretty simple too. Both you and your enemy wages energy from your bar and whoever wins gains some health and the loser loses health. These change the gameplay up very well. One moment you could have a good lead on you enemy, and the next you're in trouble. This may sound cheap and annoying, but it actually works very well.

One cool addition is the leveling system. You can level up as you fight. Experience points are gained after every fight. From online, to story. As you level up unlock tokens that unlock many different things. From costumes to music. This keeps the life of the game even longer. Which leads to the next thing, STAR labs. These are a set of 250 mini games. These contain many different kinds of games. Some easy, some pretty hard. I spend a pretty good amount of time on some some of them. So far i've only accomplished 40 three stars accomplishments and i've played for the past day. So you can imagine how much time will be put into the rest of them.

In the end i'm really glad i bought the game. I see me playing with friends and strangers online for a long time. Also adding the fact that there aren't many other competing fighting games releasing this year makes Injustice my "go to fighting game". Anybody who buys the game will also be waiting on the 4 DLC characters being released in the next few months.
  2. Apr 17, 2013
    As a gamer who has very seldom played any fighting-style game, I didn't expect much for Injustice: Gods Among Us. However, it delivered both surprisingly fun game-play, and an engaging storyline with characters that comic book fans have come love. Even if you don't know much about DC lore, the story stands alone from the rest of the DC universe and it isn't hard to keep up, especially when a battle is just around the corner from a cut-scene. It keeps the gamer on the edge of their seat wondering "what super-human am I going to be matched up with next?". If you're a fan of the DC universe, or comics in general, the story-mode is a satisfying breath of fresh air that goes to show that the industry still aims to please it's fans, and can still deliver.

When it comes to the game-play, each fight is satisfying and enjoyable. Each character has it's own strengths and weaknesses, and it's fun to find all of them out. I really liked how each character has it's own animations and voice. It makes it feel like you're in control of the individual, instead of having the same animations and grunts that take away individuality, whether it be with Superman's laser beams or The Joker's laughing gas. I find the controls somewhat clunky and also too challenging for a beginner. Precision is key to landing moves and combos which leads to frustration when I'm trying to land a devastating combo and it doesn't work out. These issues, however, are easily overlooked. When a combo is landed and a chunk is taken out of an enemy's health bar, it is very satisfying.

Even if you aren't a fan of fighting games or comics, the story for Injustice: Gods Among Us is engaging and fun to follow and the characters are charismatic and easy to fall in love with. I wish I could master every single one. Although the controls are challenging and tough to get used to if you're a beginner, they are easy to work around with everything else the game has to offer. I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who is a fan of comic books and fighting games. If you're not, this is the game that could definitely get you into both.
  3. Apr 17, 2013
    This game is straight up fan service, boasting an impressive roster of popular as well as lesser known characters from the DC Universe. The good? If you're looking for a fighting game with a comic book bent this year, look no further this is your game. The bad? Well, there are quite a few. The fighting system is fun and accessible, but doesn't feel very deep and I think that in about a week the interest in this title will wane. Second, my biggest gripe about this game is the explanation it gives for how Superman and Batman are able to fight each other fairly. It's absolutely ridiculous. And it's not like this is the first time NetherRealm's had to address it they did an awesome job explaining it away in MK vs DCU by saying that "magic" had levelled the playing field a plot device that had been used before in the comics many times as well. The explanation this time around in Injustice is absurd and doesn't do anything to explain how a guard's bullets can't hurt the joker while Harlequin's, for example, can. If they had used the "magic" explanation this time around, no one would have batted and eye and we could have all gone on our merry way to playing the game and not caring. It's messy and weird. The cinematics in the Story Mode, as well, are also poor both technically and in terms of story telling. They're just hard to watch and it's jarring to see the transition from lower res, lower framerate cinematics to the crisp presentation of the in-game graphics. Almost all of the characters in the game are represented well except for, surprisingly, Superman himself who just kind of looks weird. These are some gaffes that are detracting from the title's quality and definitely a step down from NetherRealm's superb 2011 Mortal Kombat a game that seems to be running on all pistons in practically every department. There's definitely some fun to be had here, but not 60 dollars worth of fun. If you're hell bent on picking up a fighting game this season and don't already have them, check out Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition and 2011's Mortal Kombat. And if you already have them, consider picking up their DLC. If you have THOSE, then wait until the summer time to pick up Injustice, but try to find out if anyone is still playing by then it before you do. Expand
  4. Apr 16, 2013
    This is one of the first fighting games that I have picked up in a while and boy is it something. Everything about this game is extremely well polished. combat is responsive and fluid (and not to mention fun). The game is much akin to that of the new Mortal Kombat (after all it is made by the same team) but with less blood and lost limbs. Story mode is a blast and really engaging. you will not be lost for content either as there is the main story, 240 challenge games and many unlockables. I have yet to play online, but if it plays anything like the main game, it should be a hoot. Definitely worth checking out Expand
  5. Apr 20, 2013
    Singleplayer game is very good Better or comparable to the other mortal kombat games But online play has issues I always get "game session no longer available" error message as with other nethearrealm games. Online gaming is very ping sensitive.
  6. Apr 21, 2013
    This game is amazing. You don't have to be a huge fan of the DC comics or of fighting games to enjoy this title. It has astonishing visuals, a deep combat system, and to top it all off, a great story that you'll love for sure.
  7. Apr 16, 2013
    I'm a huge comic book fan and this game is exactly what I've been waiting for. I own MK vs DC and this is head and shoulders above that. I've never "pre-bought" a game but I'm soooo glad I did for this one.
  8. Apr 17, 2013
    MK remade beautifully to compliment the Heroes of DC Universe, the story was arguably better then MK and that is no easy goal. I would recomend this game to anyone who loves fighters, DC Comics, and thrilling action
  9. Apr 17, 2013
    INJUSTICE is one of the best fighting games ever! The team at Netherealms really outdid themselves with this one, there are so many cool concepts and systems that really help innovate and refine the fighting genre. I could go on but the Battles in this game feel and play epically and the online will keep you playing for a very long time.

My favourite character is Superman. Can't wait to
    throw down with Lobo once his DLC comes out! Expand
  10. May 4, 2013
    Injustice is a very cool game. It's not the best in the genre, nor the most original, but it delivers it. I must say I was expecting more, though. I mean, the cast of characters is great and it does have a surprisingly interesting (although a bit crazy) story and a lot of fun to be had either solo or with friend(s). The gameplay is pretty basic, somewhat similar to Mortal Kombat (but simpler), the graphics are ok and I do love the soundtrack and effects. It misses something, though. I just don't know what it is. Being a DC heroes/villains brawler it could be... I don't know, more epic. After a while you just realize it's just another fighting game. But a good one, very good one, nevertheless. Expand
  11. May 4, 2013
    Amazing fighter, same as MK9 the combo system is pretty acomplished and challenging, as it leaves a lot of room for improvisation and style. Gameplay is a little more robust compared to MK9, the clash mechanic is genious, combos can be canceled to downward strikes and level transitions, arenas are interactive and the context is really over the top. Same as MK9 it offers a lot of sidemissions and unlockables to keep you busy, the only The only thing I really frown upon is the need for an online pass, still that shouldn't be detrimental to your experience as it's still great fun Expand
  12. Apr 16, 2013
    Injustice is Super Smash Bros combined with Mortal Kombat!

Excellent fighting game! Great story that pulls you in! Awesome graphics! Well worth $60! I wish it had 3D like MK, but some people are not into 3D. Every character is fun to play with! The single player has ALOT of content and modes!!
  13. Apr 17, 2013
    I was pleasantly surprised with the game's story mode. I couldn't put it down and had to complete it before exploring additional parts of the game. The characters were robust. It wasn't just the same main 5 DC characters. NetherRealm was the best choice to develop this game. It's not just a MK remake. It's a great game.
  14. May 3, 2013
    "On paper" Injustice looks insanely fun: all this destructible arenas, superheroes with super-moves, story-mode... But in fact it's a pure combo-nerdness. Game is good, but I am afraid that if it will be someone's first fighting-game experience that man will stay away from this genre for a long time. There is good tutorial, animation frames info and other stuff, but gameplay feels unrewarding and lacks of fun. Expand
  15. Apr 18, 2013
    This game is a BLAST! While waiting for this game I expected a MK clone wrapped in superheroes but that isnt even close to what this is. The mechanics are much better, not to metion how well the game looks. All the controls are responsive and all the Superheroes and Villians are a hoot to play. As an avid fighting game guru and somebody who read comics as a youngster, this thing is a must have. Even if you dont like fighting games much this is so much fun to play it is a must have. its really neato. Expand
  16. May 4, 2013
    In a nutshell Injustice does its job to an amazing standard. As once you master one of the superhero/villain characters you'll feel as powerful as you'd imagine they would. The first thing I do want to mention though is the story. While its passable, I actually found the prequel comics plot much stronger and enjoyable then the finished game. Not only this, but the game resorts to cliches to keep it going which is annoying. The actual fighting is solid. If you liked mortal kombat or dead or alive 5, you'll love this. It feels responsive and powerful(although the environment transitions where better in DoA5). In particular, the sound immerses you in. It creates more impact then the visuals. Which is saying something, as the visuals are also great. My only issue with the combat was the power buttons. Some of these made certain character almost way overpowered, such as Lex Luther, Doomsday, Bane, Black Adam. Notice a trend? Yep. All villains. The amount of modes here is enough to keep you interested for a long time, although I would recommend DoA5 more. Expand
  17. Oct 13, 2013
    While it is really fun, like most fighting games it'll get pretty repetitive after a while. Still seeing the joker get punched through a building never gets old and you don't have to be a DC fan to enjoy it. Some of the characters on the roster seem like strange choices (Killer Frost? Shazam?) and the fact that Scorpion is the only good character on the season pass is a little frustrating. All in all though a really good fighting game. Expand
  18. Apr 17, 2013
    Fighting games don't have such a big crowd anymore, and clearly not that many people understand the technical side of this game as it's nearly perfect. The different moves, combos, systems and strategies in this game puts even giants like Street Fighter to shame.
    Other than that, the sound is great, because most of the voice actors have voiced the characters before (Batman, Harley Quinn)
    and the music is epic and fitting.
    The graphics are OK, some textures are bad, some cutscene animations are awkward, but in mid fight, they're actually pretty good.
    This game has a lot of content (S.T.A.R. Labs are a blast, good online support) and the only flaws are small. The story's good, the fighting's good, a strong 8.0 and probably my fighting game of the year.
    - Naked_Cake
  19. Apr 19, 2013
    I think this videogame defines the term "snack videogame".Or in another words not the main meal.At first glance who wouldn't give a chance to play with their favorite childhood DC characters like Superman ,Batman,Green Latern,The Joker and so on.But the price is sometimes to high to bear with:Could Night Wing beat up Superman????Or futhermore Doomsday?????[for the ones who're not familiar with DC universe, Doomsday killed Superman] now replace Nightwing with Aquaman,WTF????
    If this situation wasn't obnoxious enough,I can't say how much I hate the Minerva suit,like the people so much hated the one from the movie that was never released.Gameplay is exactly like Mortal Kombat and somethimes feels like deja vu ,you know because doesn't have fatalities,that in any case would be more absurd to imagine,more than is nowadays,fortunately enough they removed Mortal Kombat characters that made things very absurd before.The stages are cool but I can't say the same about the graphics.
    Those who already played,Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkahm City know what I mean.
    But oh well those two were a pair of aces meanwhile this game could be as near as a single seven.The history is just very cliche but what you can expect from a snack videogame?
    And finally I can say that Fighting games don't have a high replay value but this injustice is even less, which is the exact term for a "snack videogame",and like the snacks between meals, just leave you waiting for the real thing,that could be the most anticipated games of the year or in a distant future: Mortal Kombat 2 maybe?Or a new Batman Rocksteady videogame?Or street fighter vs Capcom?Well only get it if you have the money to spare,rent it first and if you doubt just wait for a real meal.
  20. Jul 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Since playing mortal kombat at a young age i loved fighting games. Injustice bring us our fravourite DC characters all round the good, the bad and lobo ahhahhahaah. A great plot in the story seeing a possible world where superman ruled. A awesome list of moves providing enough combos to knock any one out. Expand
  21. Apr 16, 2013
    I have only put 30 or 40 minutes into this game and really enjoyed it so far. I can honestly say the fighting doesn't feel cheap or rushed. You get multiple health bars to knock down before winning a fight. The fighting moves and controls are good blocking is hit or miss due to timing but not impossible. I only wish they gave us more to play with like create a superhero of your own to fight with and build up skills through challenges. I still give this game a solid 9/10 so far the story is engaging and the fighting is epic. I would give it a 10 if we cool bones breaking crazy like mk gave us but understand dc would not allow that. Expand
  22. Jun 25, 2013
    This is amazing. I am seriously impressed that Warner Bros finally made a great fighting game, especially for DC universe, and no, Warner Bros was never into the fighting (nor any violent) genre. Great job!
  23. Dec 7, 2013
    The best fightning game on the PC market at the moment, period.

Mechanics are flawless, thanks to Ed Boon, the co-creator of Mortal Kombat series, since 1992. The guys is one of the masters of this genre. The fights are so fluid, attractive, full of non-stop action; it includes all features a good arcade game needs. A ten outta ten. 10/10

Music and sound acting? Another strong aspect
    of this game. The cast has Troy Baker, which is the harbinger of exceptional work. Soundtrack job is done by Dean Grinsfelder, known for his achievements on some other Marvel cartoons; like X-Men, Hulk, and some good documentary stuff. Nice melodies and bashing effects to our ears. 9/10.

The visual art and the quality of graphics are just awesome. There's no FIGHTNING game looks better than this title at the market right now. So, 9/10 again.

The roster for playable characters are below my expectations honestly. Ed Boons states that, this is because of the effort for creating balanced chars with logical attributes that fits to their comic book nature. I can understand that. Your favorite DC Comics heroes are still there; Sups, Bats, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Joker, General Zod, Solomon Grundy and vice versa. 8/10 anyway.

Last, but not least, the multiplayer gameplay is above the standarts of Mortal Kombat 9, the previous title of Netherrealms. There are games out there, with better lag management than Injustice, but this game is at zenit in its category of fightning games. And the guys at Warner Bros are constantly watching the forums on Steam and their official board, taking the feedback from players at a serious level, and releasing patches nearly every week, to get the online action at the best level possible. The biggest visible problem was the empty rooms of lobbies, which was because of regional lock. Now they fixed it with the latest patch. This of effort of theirs, and the current status of the multiplayer deserves a 7,5/10.

As my last appeal, Injustice is the best fightning game on PC, and one of the best of its genre including all platforms like XBOX, PS. It's in the same league with Street Fighter 4, Tekken 6; trust me.

My final score in this critic for IGAUUE is 8.7/10. But I'm giving it a 10 here, to make sure that it gets closer to the point it deserves.
  24. Apr 17, 2013
    Do you dislike fighters? Then maybe not for you? Do you hate Mortal Kombat? Then possibly not for you!

Do you like fighters 'or' Mortal Kombat? If your answer is 'yes' then you will LOVE this game! The story mode is short, which in some senses is a let down, but it 'did' feel complete. The story short as it, is a masterpiece. The entire story I was excited and there is never a boring
    moment!

The games graphics are quite impressive, not the best, but not game breaking that's for sure! The characters look crisp and unique even in comparison to their original designs (in a good way).

The layout of the interface personally I feel they have made it too simple, and "WHERE IS THE RANDOM BUTTON!?" Perhaps I have just not noticed it, but I have tried everything for a random battle[s].

Also if you're into unlocking characters like myself, unfortunately you can not unlock the actual characters, but you do unlock skins. In some cases make the characters completely different in appearance! In a way I prefer this, people can start using any character they want against their friends, but if they want to have the different style of characters, then you will need to unlock them.

This game is easily worth my money! Unlockables, decent graphics, enjoyable story mode and a smooth yet fast fighter!
  25. May 30, 2013
    This game is an absolute love letter to nerds like me. The MK-style fighting works well and characters and backgrounds look great. The story isn't very long, maybe 5 hours or so, but it's silly, comic book-ish fun and there is plenty to keep you going after the story is done. If you enjoy fighting games or superheroes, I have to imagine you'll have some fun with this game.
  26. Apr 16, 2013
    First and foremost, I've never been very good at hardcore fighting games, which Injustice is not. I'm also no avid comic book reader. However, I've loved Mortal Kombat since SNES, and picked this game up based off of NetherRealm's involvement and my interest in superhero lore alone. Fortunately, what I found in Injustice is an incredibly rich fighting game with loads of polish, and to my surprise; a very enjoyable story with decent to sometimes outstanding writing. I even found myself chuckling at the one liners here, as opposed to the usual cringe. The gameplay is responsive and tight, with loads of personality bursting from each character. The bonus material and multiplayer leave massive amounts of re-playability as well. And at the end of the day, it's a blast proving to your friends that your hero (or villain) can beat up theirs. This is the kind of game I always want in my collection. Expand
  27. Nov 9, 2013
    Injustice: Gods Among Us is from the same creative team that brought us the 2011 version of Mortal Kombat, but will it be just as good? Just like Mortal Kombat, Injustice has a full fledged campaign where you play a certain amount of battles as one character than switch to another. The story is actually really fun in that comic book way, they manage to put all these DC superheroes in one cohesive story. The game play keeps all the great things from Mortal Kombat but adds new stuff to keep the formula fresh. Each fighter has their own unique special move, also there are stage transitions and the player can interact with objects in the background. Online battles run smoothly and their are enough game types to keep you interested for awhile. The cutscenes in the story are a bit sloppy but the graphics during battles are pretty and good looking. In the end, Injustice might not be as good as Mortal Kombat, but is still a great fighting game for any DC Comics fan. Expand
  28. Apr 26, 2013
    The game has a great story mode and single player content. Gameplay feels unlike and easy to learn, since I don't like fighting games that much. But when I go online some issues are visible, like some lag I experienced and sessions being ended. Best way to avoid this was to play with people with good connection which sometimes finding a good host may be hard. However, this issues weren't that big to ruin the awesome characters and deep and easy-to-learn fighting system. Expand
  29. May 25, 2014
    Very slow; - Bad balance; -Poor combos; - One animation intro morning, furious; - Super-boring beats boring; + Frame-date in the game; + Arena higher quality than in the MK;
    + Lots of bonuses (but why would they need if fighting disastrous?).
  30. Apr 26, 2013
    I've never been a fan of superheroes, comics, or any of that stuff. I'm still not. However this game is incredible. Since it was created by NetherRealm, it feels and plays a lot like Mortal Kombat. Batman's grappling hook reminds me of Scorpion, Raven reminds me of Ermac, and there is more but I won't go into all of that.
    The interactive environments play very well into the game and
    are fun to use. It's also fun to knock the opposing combatant out of the stage and into a new part of it. That never gets old lol. Even though there isn't really a "Finish him/her" type of moment, the game is well made and there are a lot of little things in it that just make you not really care if it's there or not.
    The only reason I didn't give this a 10 is because of the ai difficulty when playing the arcade type of mode. Every fighting game seems to have this flaw. No matter what difficulty you put the game at, it gets ridiculously hard at the end. The difficulty just seems to jump to maximum, even if you were to have it on easy. Kind of hard to judge how good you are when easy jumps to insane difficulty.
    Playing on single fight however, the difficulty is well balanced. If you play on Medium, it is actually a decent challenge. If you play on anything lower it's pretty easy. I don't play on hard or higher because I can't react to attacks in the blink of an eye as it seems impossible to do on purpose for me XD.
    So overall the game is amazing. Definitely one of the best fighting games I have ever played.

1. A promising story mode gets smothered under a heap of weighty confrontations mired with incredibly melodramatic dialogues. DC Comics has always had a thing for brooding heroes, but some light at the end of the tunnel would have been fun. [May 2013, p.70]
  2. May 31, 2013
    Being a NetherRealm Studios production, it has a tendency to flirt with the superfluous, but there’s tasty meat to be found in the core combat even if not all of its mechanics mesh perfectly together.
  3. May 27, 2013
    A wonderful treat for comic book fans and a pretty decent fighting game to boot. [Issue#231, p.70]