• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Mar 13, 2012
8.7

1. Nov 13, 2014
    I hate calling games an experience. It's basically a buzzword at this point. Games should be about gameplay, about challenge and overcoming obstacles. This game took my prejudices and slapped them into my face.
    Journey makes you feel. It talks to you without talking. It tells a story without telling. It's simple, and that makes it great.
  2. Nov 6, 2014
    Очень скучная игра. Не понимаю, как в такое можно играть и для кого она сделана. Провал
  3. Oct 21, 2014
    I will give this game the credit it is due: It is utterly gorgeous. I have yet to see more impressive visuals (that aren't pre-rendered cut scenes.) I truly understand why so many people seem to be gob-smacked by this game. The play style is also a breath of fresh air, so different from many other titles out there and not afraid to be a bit different.

With that said, it took me a while
    to figure out what the heck was going on. There is no spoken or text narration. The game is narrated by the visuals (would have been nice if that was more obvious from the start.) At first the game feels a little directionless with little point to it just allot of "Ooooo, pretty colors" moments. But as you scurry along you realize that you are involuntarily following a predetermined path. It felt pretty cool at first as the game does mask its linearity pretty well, but once you notice it, you notice it (only a spoiler if you're a complete moron.)

If anything, Journey is nothing more than an interactive visual tech demo in a sort of storybook-ish format.

Overall:
    I do have to say that this game is highly overrated for what it is when looked at as a game. But still, it is gorgeous and does deserve recognition for that alone, it's just a real shame that there isn't more to it.
  4. Oct 13, 2014
    "Journey" was full of surprises for me. Somehow I thought the whole game would take place in the desert, and because I don't like deserts, I was somewhat hesitant at first. But I was proven wrong by "thatgamecompany" in terms of limited environment and climate.

It has beautiful graphics. Especially the lighting is outstanding. The environment responds to your movements and actions, and
    the interaction with the NPC is really fluid. The soundtracks are fitting, though some felt rather dull. The partner based multiplayer is well implemented, and it feels really great to go through the whole journey with the same partner. At times you teach each other, show hidden paths to symbols and glyphs.

What really makes "Journey" such a jaw-dropping experience must be the pacing. In my opinion, the progression of the events makes the game truly similar to "real life". The game doesn't hold your hand, even though there's no complex puzzles whatsoever, you have to figure out what you have to do on your on if a partner does not guide you, which makes it a joy to explore and observe.

Recommended for: People looking for a relaxing, enlightening and peaceful experience.
  5. Aug 27, 2014
    It was a damn shame this game was so short because when it comes to experiences, this was a beautiful one and, despite it's length, you can tell the developers put as much effort into creating one of the most visually stunning games of the year.
  6. Aug 23, 2014
    This game is by far one of the most unique and beautiful gaming experiences I have ever had. The controls flow seamlessly, the story is wonderful, and the visual eclectic appeal of the game is absolutely mind-blowing. It is hands down one of the most gorgeous and important games ever made and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
  7. Aug 4, 2014
    Another fantastic project by the brilliant Jenova Chen and his talented team at thatgamecompany.
    This game was simply a joy and a privilege to experience. The music, art styles, aesthetics, minimalist yet emotional gameplay/interactions all came together perfectly.
  8. Aug 1, 2014
    Right up there with Flower, this is one of my favorite PS3 games out there. There are no words but the story is told through fantastic visuals and wonderful music that pulls at the heartstrings. You go through your character's life passage and (should you play online) their intersections with others as you grow and learn and change.

You wake up in the beginning alone and surrounded by
    miles of burning, sprawling desert, and soon discover the looming mountain top which is your goal. Ahead of you there are endless sand dunes, ancient ruins, caves and howling winds, and eventually the stinging cold and snow. Your passage will not be an easy one. And although the goal is to get to the mountaintop, you have almost infinite room to explore and wander the endless beauty of the desert either alone or with a stranger you meet along the way as you soar above ruins and glide across sands while discovering the secrets of a forgotten civilization through murals and sit downs with statues that show you their story and how you fit in....your purpose, who you are.

Each player may take something different from the game but I felt it told the story of life and it has wonderful replay value as not only can you get different trophies you'll continuously find new things and eventually get the white robe to don yourself. This also makes good use of the 6-axis control on the PS3 remote and continues to be a breathtaking experience each time I play. GREAT game...
  9. Jul 30, 2014
    Never expected his, but Journey is a truly wonderful adventure. Yes, you can finish it in 2 hours, but in these 2 hours, Journey provides much stronger experience and impact than many other titles are not able to achieve even in tens of hours. Even online element have been used in a very clever way, doesn't distract you at all and further strengthens the emotional response. Must-play for all PS3 owners. 9/10 Expand
  10. Jul 18, 2014
    This is the stuff that annoys me. The game didn't impede take up much of my time so it's only mild annoyance. I do hesitate to call it a game though. It's more of an movie where you have to hold the remote the whole time. I acknowledge that I clearly share the same passions over the game's message.

I knew nothing about this game going into it. Sitting at a friend's house and he throws
    me a controller and says I have to play Journey. Naturally I think this is a waste of time because my file will be at his house and I'll never finish before I leave so I admit I went into it not wanting to play. So I sit there chatting with a few people while looking at the tv and moving around the game for about an hour and a half and then it's over.

Based on gameplay I think it's terrible and it annoys me greatly to see it so highly rated. Based on artistic value it's great (probably, I don't art well). But I don't play games for their art merits. I play for gameplay immersion, mechanics, and story. I saw the pretty pictures, moved the character around, and was given the philosophical message. Didn't care one bit about the traveler or her journey. If this is a game you have to play then play a friend's copy. Don't buy, don't rent (not ever sure if you can).
  11. Jul 16, 2014
    Let me start off by saying this game is my game of the year for 2012. But it's not for everyone.

Journey is a unique, beautiful and wondrous tale through its amazing and peaceful score. You play as robed being in the middle of the desert and your objective is clear. Reach the top of a mountain in the very distant background. There is absolutely no voice acting or violence in the game.
    But, that doesn't take the charm and beauty away from this game.

As you slide down the gorgeous sand dunes listening to the amazing score, others players will simultaneously join you on your adventure. The only way you can communicate with the other player is pressing circle which makes a very unique and peasant sound.

The only negative thing I can say about this game is that it's only an hour and half, two hours max.

Journey is a unique, beautiful and innovative. This game shows that video games don't need violence or voice acting to be a fantastic game. This game is one of the best I've ever played.
  12. Jul 13, 2014
    I think the best way to describe this game is to say that the person who referred me to it, and insisted it was amazing, was a huge stoner. Like, "I want to go through a car wash high to see what it's like, dude!" stoner.

Journey is very, very pretty. And it's a story. Just a story. This is not a game; there is very little actual game play (lots of walking, though!) and literally no
    difficulty or challenge in completing the game. The story itself is amazingly simple -- as in, I could literally tell you it in a 140 character blurb.

So I could go on, but this game doesn't warrant it. It's not that exciting, it's not complex, it's just eye catching, and that has it's place, but it's strange to view this as a ground breaking game experience when it'd be better suited to most any other form of media.
  13. Jul 12, 2014
    who made this game? i want to kiss him hahaha, i have been played videogames since atari 2600 and all i have to say is this is one of the best games i ever played in my life is beautifull is smart, make you feel awesome is one f the best games ever, everybody in the world have to play this game, this game is ART love it, the game have a meaning is all about evolution about to find the light the peace the maximun expresio of your soul thats abut journey thats the meaning that i found, if you dont understand this game sorry youre dumb Expand
  14. Jul 7, 2014
    Very good game.

The good - really good game. It's one of those things that you have to experience for yourself, words don't even do it justice. Think of it as a really good art film - which means no overt violence or sexualized characters. Great for gamers with kids in the household too.

The bad - the game is very short - 3 hours-ish short. Even when you shoot for all the trophies
    (which I don't usually go for), it's still over too soon. Expand
  15. Jul 5, 2014
    Maybe my favorite game of all times.
    Poetic, visually gorgeous, incredible soundtrack, innovative coop play, simple and just gameplay... A game that every video-game detractor should see.
  16. Jun 26, 2014
    An amazing game, like nothing I've played before. I knew nothing about this game until I experienced it. It's beautiful looking, beautiful sounding and one of the most emotive and fascinating games I've ever played. On my second play-through I had the luck of playing through the game with a partner and the way the multiplayer works is terriffic. I don't care how hardcore a gamer you are you really need to sit down for 2 hours of your life and play through Journey. 10/10 Expand
  17. Jun 25, 2014
    I guess I just don't get it, no matter which way you cut it. As a game I rate it a 2, as there is zero challenge or fun involved in any way shape or form. As a story or "experience", I give it a 5. I can see that maybe it's trying say something deep and meaningful, but honestly, I wish I would've known how little I would have given a **** what it is or may be before trudging through this pointless "game". What a waste of time. The "pro" reviewers I expected great reviews from, but you user reviewers really let me down on this one. You owe me $15. Expand
  18. Jun 16, 2014
    This game is beautiful and an amazing Journey that I loved. The game is a piece of art, but it will be dull to some, if you only fokus on the gameplay. This game is not played but explored and experienced. the details like the sand and the snow are so cool and pretty and the game had me wondering, cheering, laughing, and much more. In the game you Can play online (you don't have to) and you meet Luther players where you have an interesting connection between the two of you and it is awesome and different.
    I loved the game so much I gave an applause and I have never done that before. Everybody should try This game
  19. Jun 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This takes place across the remains of a long, lost planet. You find yourself in the most peculiar places - from scavenging a-top the highly reflective grains of golden sand, through the arctic winds of a snowy and desolate land to soaring whimsically above the clouds and into the butt-cheeks of the sky. With rare encounters along the way, you search for answers and discover that a force has existed so great above these very clouds, mysteriously uncovering the means of providing everlasting power to the land, and your origin below. The true story lies within your inquisitions during this adventure.

This is a journey - there is no destination...
  20. May 31, 2014
    "Journey" is not only a game, it's an emotional adventure. With animations that are just stunning and a game play that keeps you invested, without saying any words. This game is just beautiful and will have you thinking about it after you finish playing.
  21. Apr 29, 2014
    To me, Journey is bad art.

Art, by its nature, should challenge the viewer. It should invite subjectivity, speculation, and wonder. This doesn't have to be positive, as it can also provoke fear and paranoia, but in some way, a good piece of art will challenge its audience.

If all a piece of supposed art does is tell a story, then that's not art as I perceive it. If all it does is
    push an agendda, then that's not art either, that's propaganda. No matter how much you gussy up these things, you're not actually making art unless you're intellectually and/or emotionally challenging your audience. Journey is, quite essentially, a popular appeal to the masses dressed up as art. It provides three very mainstream tenets for people to relate to, so that they can have their values reaffirmed whilst being convinced that this experience was enriching for them. That's not at all different to how propaganda works. Creationism: To worship the one above is important, as they created all, and to seek any other than to do their work is an abhorrent sin. We were created, and as such, we obey our creator. It is through their glory that we will achieve; Rapture cometh, and with it, ascendancy. Uniformity: Individualism is a sickness external to the herd, it's an insightful thought which comes from inside, rather than outside. The introvert provides a new query to the crowd which breaks the flow, and introduces chaos. This dissonance is sickness, and must be fought. Neo-Luddism: Anything that existed before I was born is natural, anything that existed within my youth is new and exciting, and anything that exists after is an abomination. Our sciences will be the downfall of us all, we should return to a time when we churned our own milk and fought our wars with swords. They were better times. These are commonly held beliefs. I can't say I agree with them because: 1.) Evolution. 2.) That's the borg. 3.) What about all those plagues? But that's what Journey eschewed, plaintively, and without any shame. The white cloths were always presented with a godlike aesthetic similar to mainstream theologies such as Christian or Muslim beliefs. There were the glowing 'god beams' of light from on high, the domineering and divine omniscient presence, sharing its wisdom, and so on. Fairly obvious. And then there was the fallen technology and the story of how it brought about the end of their civilisation. In this story, you're unable to challenge this notion, you can't challenge the god, nor can you try to get the machines up and running again. It is, essentially, 'push forward to understand how you should be thinking.' There's nothing challenging about it. It's regressive propaganda, plain and simple. And, to a lot of the mainstream (very commonly amongst less intelligent people), this is romanticised. Especially the downfall of technology. All of those evil nuclear reactors. The average person is a bit peculiar and precious about that, really. I mean, they want power, but not the nuclear plants. They want chemicals, but not the chemical industry. They want meat, but not the animal farms or slaughter houses. And this is what Journey panders to -- follow the ways of your godbeing and they'll take care of all that. Leading right up to the ending with iconography designed to be reminiscent of the Rapture and Rebirth (as part of the herd, no less), since those things are apparently inspiring. I was bored by Journey. I've witnessed art in games, definitely, plenty of times. I love art. But Journey seems to be a cathartic experience, propaganda for those who want it, to coo softly into their ears and tell them that their beliefs are okay because Art agrees with them. It's faux art, it's a snake-oil salesman with an 'Art' stand of kitsch, contemporary artefacts, ready to sell to whatever gullible schmoes happen to stop by his stand. It's for the mundane thinker who watches too much television, who's likely never visited an art gallery in their life, hasn't read too many books, et cetera. I have seen ART now, I am enriched. Except it isn't art, is it? It's a crock of bull, it's propaganda, but it's not art. It has this essence of the Emperor's New Clothes about it, where the developer told people it was art. And the common person believed it, not wanting to look stupid. They never analysed it, questioned it, or stopped to think about whether it actually qualified as art. And the rest of it? Exploring a desert with ancient ruins? Hardly original. Singing magicks? I've seen that before, even entire cultures based around DMT. It's not particularly new or clever. So there's no appeal there, either. And it isn't a game, either, so that doesn't save it. It's just fake art for simple people. Expand
  22. Apr 28, 2014
    This isn't so much a game as an experience. This stands alone in stark contrast to every game being made now. A beautiful, profound, and emotional experience, this is worth every dollar of its price despite its short completion time.
  23. Apr 11, 2014
    Absolutely breathtaking. In this current generation of gaming, where dominance, victory and violence seems to be the accepted way to "connect" with other players, Journey by thatgamecompany sheds new perspective with its unique multiplayer experience.

Sure, when play through the game on your own, its makes for a satisfying experience, but with the second character coming in, it takes it
    to another level.

Excellent music by Austin Wintory. Worthy to be nominated for a Grammy award (It's a pity it didn't win).

Gameplay will probably be around 1-2 hrs, but you WILL have memories that will last you a lifetime. : )
  24. Mar 25, 2014
    I'm so glad I was introduced to this gorgeous game. The gameplay, artwork, and the soundtrack especially are all hauntingly beautiful. Journey doesn't strive to be a very difficult or long game. Instead, it's an immersive experience. It has the most interesting co-op experience by far that I gone through. It was just really touching knowing that I had a companion going through the same trials, even though I couldn't communicate to him/her with words. Expand
  25. Mar 17, 2014
    This was the first game I played on PS3 and I have to say, it's magnificent!

Pros:
    Stunning Visuals
    Excellent Soundtrack
    It provokes emotion
    Story well executed

Journey is one of the best games I have ever played and I won't ever forget it!
  26. Mar 17, 2014
    Un juego que te transporta a lo mas profundo de los sentimientos. Emotivo, bonito, precioso... un juego que sorprende a la vista y te deja llevar por un mundo minimalista y zen.
  27. Mar 6, 2014
    Este es un comentario largo, pero le aseguro al lector que no se va a arrepentir si lo atiende:
    Este juego es la alegoría perfecta del significado de viajar. Yo en lo personal he tenido mucha experiencia viajando por distintos sitios y me he conectado realmente con este juego. Tal como en la vida, que hay gente q conoces viajando, completos extraños que con el tiempo se pueden volver
    parte de ti o simplemente alejarse, pero q a fin de cuentas formaron parte de un momento en tu vida. Un viaje en el juego del cual no sabes claramente a donde vas o para que, simplemente con la promesa de un final, justo como en la vida. He leído criticas de otros usuarios, quienes comprueban con sus argumentos negativos su falta de experiencia en el mundo pues solo han conocido lo q hay a su alrededor, sin embargo, cuando abran sus alas y conozcan lo que hay afuera sabrán quizás que significa este juego. :) Expand
  28. Mar 5, 2014
    Its not much of a game and more move in a straight line and look at pretty colors world. Its saving grace is that it is extremely short and gets out of the way before it can get mind numbing and boring. There are much more exciting indie projects out there that are actually games. Like Trine, Braid, Limbo that all have gameplay to backup nice looking graphics.
  29. Mar 4, 2014
    Do you think this game is expensive for a 2-hour experience? Typically I'd agree with that view, but not in the case of this game, not at all! This is one of these rare games where replaying is more enjoyable than playing it for the first time. The first time you play it, you will say that it was gorgeous, that's sure. However, it will be much more intense in next games. Why? After you see the ending for the first time, you'll understand what it is all about, so the story will become really touching for you. Warning: if you are a sensitive person, you could cry at the ending (maybe you will not during your first game, but you could in some subsequent replay). Besides, even though you'll like the soundtrack the first time you hear it, you will absolutely love it from the second or third time you play, when you already know it. Third, playing online guarantees that the experience will never be exactly the same. Players have created a kind of in-game tradition where (most of) skillful players help noobs, so surely you will develop some kind of emotional link towards some of your game mates. Helping an online player is not the same as giving you a kidney, sure, but this kind of anonymous help makes you believe a little bit more in the humankind. Isn't it rare in videogames? Play Journey a few times and someday you will draw hearts on the snow. You don't understand me? You will. Expand
  30. Feb 28, 2014
    Journey is indie hipster tripe. For whatever reason, this game's gotten praised, yet it's not much of a game, nor is it much of an "experience." It's a repetitive, AHEM, Journey *wink wink nod nod*, that isn't worth your money, much less your time. Go outside, teach your kid to ride a bike, and you'll have a much more worthwhile emotion than this hipster garbage.
  31. Feb 23, 2014
    Probably the best Indie game I've ever played. It's emotional and moving, even though there isn't any dialogue or combat the entire game. The only weak point for me was the feeling of linearity. The game is called Journey but there are times when it feels like you have absolutely no control over yours.
  32. Jan 19, 2014
    iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
  33. Jan 16, 2014
    I'm not much into gaming. Actually I'm not into it at all. Maybe that's why I liked Journey, such a visual and silent adventure of which you can feel all the depth. You just wish it were longer.
  34. Jan 12, 2014
    For such a short game (roughly around 2 hours for a play through), it's incredibly rich, both in emotional depth, and graphical fidelity, it's a beautiful game, and It's all about immersion, much in the same way that Shadow of the Colossus was. When I initially sat down to play, I wasn't thinking about play time, and then before I knew it, it was over. It wasn't my intention to play through the entire game in one sitting, but when I got started, it was difficult to stop right in the middle. My first reaction was to go back and play it again though. Despite the fact that the game itself is fairly short, it's replay value is really high. Especially if you're the type of gamer who likes to accomplish trophies. Your first time through, you'll be lucky to achieve one or two trophies.

Amazingly, there isn't a single line of spoken dialog in the entire game, but there's a fairly deep and engaging story that unfolds (so long as you're paying attention).

I would recommend this game to anyone who is into puzzle games, platformers, or anyone who just wants something a little bit different to play.
  35. Dec 27, 2013
    Truly one the most memorable experiences I have had while playing a video game. Amazing experience that must be played to be appreciated. The imagery, the soundtrack, the story (or lack thereof) are all top notch. My only regret is that I didn't jump on this sooner.
  36. Dec 25, 2013
    Journey is an absolutely beautiful and well crafted game. It makes you feel like you are on a grand adventure and you forget you are really playing a video-game. A definite must have for any Playstation 3 owner.
  37. Dec 21, 2013
    This is a cool little game-- it is however OVERPRICED and OVERRATED. I felt a bit ripped off myself. I can see myself playing it twice but I wouldn't call THAT 'replay value'.
  38. Dec 11, 2013
    I loved flower so much! So I was so excited for this one. But I just didn't get into it. The experience never got to me. The world has almost no color to speak of, and I have no idea what I'm doing in this desert. It's hard to explain what makes a game like this good or bad. It just works for you or it doesn't. this did not work for me. Although there was some enjoyment here and there.
  39. Dec 8, 2013
    I did not like this game. I got it and it took about 2 hours to download and then another hour to process and after that it didn't even work. Ridiculous and not worth your time. Don't get it. Enough said.
  40. Nov 28, 2013
    The most beautiful game I've ever played. A unique experience that totally worth playing.
    The games put you in an wide desert with another player (you can't know who is he until the end) and tell you a brilliant a story. Although there is no different paths to follow, the game fells very personal, because of the ambiguous game story itself and the your relation with the another player.
    The soundtrack is as good as it could be and there is no voice acting in the game. The game duration is just right for finishing the game in one sitting (2-4 hours).
    Just sit down, relax and enjoy this journey.
  41. Nov 24, 2013
    Nothing to talk, just buy it. Definitely the best indie game ever made, and it is a title that you should buy on PlayStation. Thatgamecompany really has potential, and I love their games.
  42. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: The graphics are some of the best for an arcade title. Journey probably has the most realistic sand in a video game, and snow. 10.

Sound: Soundtrack is amazing and emotional. It can also put you to sleep. 10.

Gameplay: The game consists of exploration, and at times you’ll meet up with another fellow journey player. You work together to get through the journey. While
    there is no main goal, the game is linear at the start, and after you finish the game, you may return to previous areas. Again, no main goal, but you are pointed towards this mountain that you head towards throughout the game. You can fly around as long as you get energy from certain scarfs, or if you continuously communicate with another player. Communication is a simple sound (sounds like a music note), it can be charged up to reveal or charge up objects. Further in the game you begin to fly around and the game becomes faster paced, there are some stealth parts in the game, but the punishment for getting caught isn’t much. You cannot die in the game, but if you do get hit by enemies your scarf decreases. The game is more of an interactive art rather than your average game. It is enjoyable but I can see this type of game having a lot more enjoyment, rather than a game where you’re constantly walking from point A to B. This game should have more punishment like death for failing. Platforming can be more intense, give a reason to make sure you don’t mess up besides having to climb back up. Boss fights? This game had the potential to be some much bigger, even on a Shadow of the Colloseus level, but instead again it’s more of an interactive art. 7.

Story: I didn’t understand it, most of the cutscenes showed what seemed to be a leader of all the scarfed people, but I can’t really say. Either way it was uninteresting, or besides looking artistic, it was bland and boring. 5.

Lasting Appeal/Value: I beat the game in a little over 2 hours; this game is on the market for $15 which is an unreasonable price. While I did enjoy the experience, this game definitely should have been cheaper. As for other websites giving this game the game of the year, and praising/hyping it, it really doesn’t deserve it. Flower was more interesting than Journey. I will say though that the meeting of another player where no real communication happens yet you work so well together is indeed an amazing experience. 8.

Overall Score: 8 out of 10.
  43. Nov 10, 2013
    Short but oh so sweet. Journey is an adventure platformer that is less about utilizing an array of different game mechanics to overcome a set goal, and more about simply experiencing and sometimes exploring the wondrous setting and adventure the game presents to you. That is not to say interactivity is non existent, but it is light and amounts to little more then traversing the scenes, but what joyous traversal it can be at times. Climbing up a drop in the bucket sand dune while the horizon of sandy needle-points slowly reveal themselves and then whimsically surfing down the other side as you decide to uncover the mysteries behind the next. The visual design and effects do a lot of the legwork in making the game's scenes a visual euphoria, with not only large scale variety like open deserts, pseudo underwater sections, and frosty cliffs, but also little effects that delight such as the High Dynamic Range lighting that sets the sun ablaze, the subtly sparking sand that at certain angles reflects gushes of sunlight, the wind blowing plumes of sand past your feet, and the way the sand shifts and parts when coming in contact with the player or other creatures. Enhancing the game's breathtaking sets to great effect is the soundtrack that amplifies the game's magic and emotional impact. A charming and for some, thought provoking tale with little to show you but so much for you to see, Journey is for people who don't mind simple mechanics and could use some unadulterated wonder. Expand
  44. Nov 4, 2013
    This game was incredible. One of the best games I've ever played. Using no dialogue, it is able to invoke emotions, and fosters a cooperative spirit that will have you in a deep bromance before it's over. It doesn't matter what kind of experience you're looking for, this is a must-play game for anyone living on planet earth.
  45. Oct 30, 2013
    I simply cannot find any reason to give this game anything less than a full score here.

The visuals are simply gorgeous, the gameplay is deceptively simple and yet it's very engrossing and the music and sound are as close to perfect as mortal hands could make to the point where it's a very engaging experience and more times than not will leave you with the feeling that you've played
    something that doesn't come around very often.

That said, it IS an odd-duck and for gamers that are more used to the usual games on offer, this might make them be less impressed. But, if you can step outside of your usual game expectations and just let it take you in, you may find yourself with an experience that will likely leave a lasting impression on you.

Sure, it's a short game... you can beat it in 2 hours on average... However, in the "Quality vs Quantity" argument, it wins the "Quality" award many times over.

That said, if you're a gamer that prefers your games to be intense in action and with a fast-paced feel to them, this might not be your cup of joe... the game is (I hate to say it because it will sound incredibly poncy) more a work of art and if you simply cannot stand a game that likes to take it's time you might not find this game as enjoyable as other games you may have in your library.

Still, if you are willing to give it a chance and are okay letting yourself get swept up in a truly immersive experience then this might be a game that will give you memories that you'll carry with you for a long, long time.
  46. ALB
    Oct 23, 2013
    Journey is an adventurous game with scenic visuals to represent the aesthetic criteria. The story line is sweet and simple. The controls are simple and the gameplay is smooth.

The most recognized con(s) of Journey is the fact that one can simply finish the entire game within an hour or less. Although Journey consists of several trophies to encourage the player to keep on playing, the
    entire game can still be easily finished. In fact, all the trophies (except for one trophy: Return) can be obtained in a single run for the first time if you follow a walkthrough or you're being guided by a player who's experienced.

Therefore, it is better to play Journey solo without any companion for the first time. That way, you can solve the puzzles on your own, which aren't difficult, for the game tends to guide you when playing solo. Thus, it is better to discover the many hidden symbols on your own than to follow a walkthrough or be guided by an experienced player. It better to play the game solo for the first time.

Overall, Journey certainly represents beautiful visuals that's eye-catching. The controls are fluidly smooth. The story line is short, but satisfying enough to give off an impression of completion on your journey towards the main goal. Although Journey does not have much to do after completing and achieving everything within the game, it is worth playing for those who are looking for a fresh, new, simple game. Although the price may be considered 'overpriced' to many (I strongly agree to this con), the price may go down sometime in the future.
  47. Oct 14, 2013
    A very unique game. I loved the flow, the feeling of a mystical middle eastern land where the background music put me in a very serene frame of mind. It should be noted that I normally love FPS and dislike most RPG's but the music and motion flow in the demo caught me and I bought the game. Yes it was a tad short and for those expecting a big boss fight or massive sparks-flying end it may have been a bit of a downer but some experiences are not about blowing up a giant bad guy... it's the JOURNEY. Expand
  48. Oct 8, 2013
    Sinceramente não sei o que as pessoas viram nesse jogo. Ir de um lado para outro, sem nada mais o que fazer.... Gráficos bonitinhos, e nada além disso. Um lixo, não compre!
  49. Oct 6, 2013
    This game is simply inspiring, as Flower was. A must to play, alone and in company. Remarkable BSO. Waiting for more works from this crew. Congratulations.
  50. Oct 3, 2013
    Journey is an odd game. It's essentially three to three and a half hours of gameplay, and has no real objectives besides get to the mountain. It isn't really a game in the sense of the word. It's an experience. A lot of the things you will see in journey provoke ambiguous response. Not a single word is said throughout the game, but there is a better story here than in any huge budget triple-A title I have ever played. It's beautiful, and is drop dead gorgeous at points. The soundtrack is serene and fitting. My time with journey left my jaw hanging quite literally. Journey is a game anyone with a ps3 needs to play. Expand
  51. Sep 20, 2013
    Great soundtrack, great atmosphere, great ending just a great game and one of my top 5 games of all time. It wasn't that hard but one of my most memorable games.
  52. Sep 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This one is very different from what we are used to & is a truly unique experience I will always remember.
    Journey proves that we don't always need weapons, blood or fights to have a good time. I personally loved the non dialogue approach, which has absolutely no negative impact on the story. It feels very relaxing, just like a spiritual meditation session, lost in a desert, guided buy the wind, with the help of magic carpets.

The intensity of silence & music, will reveal in you a sense of goodness, hope & achievement. The refinement & artistry of the visuals transport you to a world where you are secure, in peace, no matter what obstacle you encounter. Graphics, while always important, here more than ever, help you to appreciate & enjoy the game even more. The main character looks simple, its minimalist design is a perfect example that less is more. Even the sand is very shiny & quite impressive on its own.

If you are a sensitive person, it should get through your emotions in a way that it is touching. Though usually not a fan of online gaming, I have to admit that having a companion along the way was comforting.
    The ending, we walk through a sanctuary of light, our minds free with the certitude that we accomplished everything when passing away. It's true that the game is not so challenging, but if you understood well, it obviously was not the main goal. Thanks for introducing an outstanding concept & gameplay, maybe showing the path to a new gaming style era? All I can say is that I hope there will be a second & ''longer'' JOURNEY, this idea deserves further exploration, we want more!

Unfortunately, the game is way too short but that is the only bad thing to mention. If developers took the time to make such a memorable piece of art, they should have also taken the time to make it last longer.
    Of course nothing lasts forever but one thing is for sure, we don't want this Journey to end after only 2 or 3 hours. For that reason, I'm forced to lower the rating to 7 on 10, even if I thought it was amazing.
  53. Sep 12, 2013
    Great game, great story, great atmosphere, I enjoyed the handling, and the sensation of speed at certain points in the game. What I didn't like were one lengthy part of the game that I found dragged on needlessly long, this is why its a 9/10 for me.
  54. Sep 11, 2013
    Art in video games has always been a wild topic of discussion, however games like Journey just limits itself to one of the most complex forms of expression, while keeping the own integrity of the usual game mechanics.

Journey it's a vast experience that no one should miss, while keeping a really simplistic concept, the game manages to be unique and beautiful, all of this while you
    interact with it.
    Something that amazes me about Journey, it's the way that the game manages to handle each thing, that you would usually consider something minor in modern games, in a completely special and unique way, all of this being done by the incredible, but simplistic, visuals.
    While the music, visual and controls in "Journey" are Incredible, the thing that really stood up the most, was the interaction with one and other, it always manage to flow, and maintain almost a cinematic experience without loosing the game integrity.

Throughout the game you begin to feel a general connection with character itself, (even if he never talks nor has any facial expression), that's the really special thing about "Journey" it always feels like a Journey, the different experiences that you have each time that you start a new game are incomparable to the last ones that you have.
    The game storyline manages to be quite tricky to figure out what it really it's all about, and even then you may be wrong, but it doesn't matter, because in Journey it's not about winning or loosing or maintaining a "record", it all lies beneath the superficiality of those concepts and go much further than that, "Journey", it's all about the experience. After all, it's that what art it's all about?
  55. Sep 1, 2013
    Though there may not be explosions and fighting don't miss out on Journey. It is a great experience and has one of if not the very best soundtracks a game has ever had.
  56. Aug 19, 2013
    Journey affects you a different way unlike any other video game. Its open to different interpretations on how you see the game itself. Some call it art, some an emotional experience, others hate it for lack of "gameplay" while others love it for the same reason.
    I myself found it to be a really inspiring game to play. It really is a hardcore gamers' game which is ironic.
    All I can say
    is if you let this game pass you by then you're missing the whole point of what video games are all about and why. Expand
  57. Jul 30, 2013
    This was a nice divergence from your typical AAA game. I took one point away because of the price, though...I don't think it's worth $15, $5-10 is more appropriate.
  58. Jul 29, 2013
    This is a beautiful videogame, an spiritual experience that changes my view of videogames is an art videogame the graphics, the celestial music all is perfect. A masterpiece
  59. Jul 27, 2013
    As so many have already said, this isn't a game, it's an experience. The visuals are stunning, and the score masterfully blends with what is going on in the game. The drop in, drop out multiplayer experience is unique and adds an entire new layer to the game, $15 dollars well spent.
  60. Jul 17, 2013
    Journey is a great game. Too bad that many players don't seem to understand it. It's basically the opposite of all those FPS games out there. First, the graphics and art direction simply look great, especially the lightning and reflections which helps the atmosphere much. Otherwise, Journey isn't a traditionally game and is more meant to play on your heartstrings. The desert you travel through for the most time is very open but also empty and lonely. Basically, I started to feel lonely after three "rooms" (the sections are seperated by a silent spirit, thats all I can say without spoiler, that leads you through the story of the game, which are shown in animated "paintings" which you have to interpret).

When you play online, you meet other random players on your journey. I actually felt happy to finally see something else but the empty desert, which was obviously intentional by the developers. It's really satisfying when a player actually joins you and it's also kinda depressing when you lose that player, which might happen. You manage to distinguish between players just by watching their behaviour. It's brilliantly executed and something completely different.

The gameplay is slow and relaxing at first; you need some patience. You might know that from the game Flower. But it also has some fast and spectacular moments and yes, there are enemies, too.
    It's less about the gaming experience, but more about the emotional impact on the player many games aren't even attempting that and are forgettable. Once you try to meet with another player via trial and error, this game will stick in your mind. It's interesting what some players do, making sounds in a certain rythm or attempting to write messages in the sand and snow by floating over it.

And no the ending isn't as it was described here before. You just have to understand it to fully appreciate it. And if you are open to something different and artsy, you should play it.
  61. Jun 23, 2013
    Journey is a very impressive platform adventure game. It uses the mysterious cloaked characters slight body language with a compelling musical score to set the tone for this ethereal quest across seemingly endless desert sands, deep dark oceans, and scaling a large unforgiving mountain to reach the Summit and complete his goal. Anyone with a ps3 should take this epic journey.
  62. Jun 22, 2013
    I decied to give this a try after all the praise it was receiving and it's easy to see why. Immediately when you start the game you are taken in by the beautiful art style and graphics. Your nameless character then gets up and you move towards the mountain in the distance. Movement in this game is so fluid, your character flows and glides over every sand dune. Thingts get even better when you meet another player though. You will join into a match unknowingly and seamlessly and not being able to communicate with a player except with pings from your character is an interesting multiplayer mechanic that I would love to see more of. The game probably is a bit short though which us one of my only criticisms. The best way to play the game is in one uninterupted sitting, just open your mind and absorb yourself in the visuals and the game and take away your own interpretation of the story. Expand
  63. Jun 18, 2013
    It may only last a couple two hours and, aside from a few simple puzzles, there is little actual gameplay but there is no other experience in gaming like playing Journey. Anyone that doubts video games can be an art form must surely change their minds after playing this.
  64. Jun 10, 2013
    I've just purchased the European version of Journey Collector's Edition hence why I'm late coming to the party.

I used to be an avid gamer but now I'm in my mid-30s now I don't get as much time (growing up is rubbish!). So I now when I play a game I aim to find something special... Journey did not disappoint!

I was a beautifully crafted masterpiece. The aesthetic, score and
    emotional content is on a par with ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. I actually feel sorry for people who don't "get it". My only guess is that those people are dead inside (or only tend to like FPSs or sports sims).

Many people have spoken how short the game is, but for me it was epic. I've only completed it once, but I intend to play in again... and again... and again.

I've not yet had a chance to play online but I will be doing as soon as I can find the time.
  65. Jun 7, 2013
    my favourite PS3 experience of a game from 2012, I'm only really putting reviews in meta-critic for games that have really blown me away, journey is the antithesis of an FPS games and nearly everything else that is out there, if you need relief from every standard game mechanic killing things etc and want to play a game that at no point stresses you and can be fit in into an hour or two in the evening then journey is for you, journey is a breath of fresh air, it does not explain itself nor does it need to, its a gentle exploration game that turns into a journey and by the end of it. the Mystery of what is going and your characters interactions just add to the game and your attachment to your character and by the end of the journey if you have a heart you will be touched by its quiet dreamlike grace. Expand
  66. Jun 6, 2013
    Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular!
  67. May 18, 2013
    Journey is a game that is not for everyone. There's no words, no explosions, no gunfire, just great music and a beautiful atmosphere. From the music to the graphics to the controls to the physics, this game is great! Very relaxing and fluid to play through. The game is not very long as you can get through it in a couple of hours, but it's well worth your time and money. I like the way they did the online/multiplayer feature where you meet random people on your journey and can travel together with them. You can't talk to each other which makes the emotion of it better to me. I highly recommend this great game! Expand
  68. May 14, 2013
    Unusually Journey is a game that lives up to the tremendous hype behind it. The game is astonishingly beautiful not only in the graphics but in the heart felt nature of it's word-less story. While interaction is limited, it never feels lacking like the game has just everything it needs in the right quantity. With enough variation in the places you visit to make you feel like you truly have been travelling a long way to get to your destination. It also manages to do something I never thought possible, get online gamers to work together without bickering and fighting. I will never forget the people I travelled with, even if I don't really know them. Expand
  69. May 10, 2013
    This is without a doubt, one of the best game I've ever played. The audio is amazing, visuals are stunning, and gameplay is almost flawless. The fact that they tell an entire story without using a single word in the actual game is amazing. Definitely needs to be on your To-Play list if you haven't checked it out already.
  70. May 3, 2013
    I was blown away by this game. With that said, I did come into it with minimal expectations. It is exciting to see a publisher take a chance for a change. The game's simplicity brings me back to my old days of playing NES. It's definitely not the best game ever, and I hope that they don't make a sequel. I believe that it is as good as it can be. I don't need to play it again, and I don't need to play another game like it. It was an interesting experience that was very enjoyable for me. Some critiques people will probably have with this game are that it is too short, too simple, and too vague. While it is short, simple, and vague it still delivers. I can't think of another game that would have been able to pull this off. Expand
  71. Apr 24, 2013
    Beautiful game. Quite the experience! I'm glad I got to play this game, it is unique and charming. My only complaint is it took only an hour to beat.
  72. Apr 23, 2013
    Mark my words, Journey will go on to be one of the most influential games in history. It’s proved that a game doesn’t need dialogue to tell a beautiful story, and that a game doesn’t have to be long to be impact a gamer forever, and that it doesn’t need to come in a box to do this. The developer thatgamecompany has set an incredibly high bar and simultaneously lowered it. Without the need of a huge budget or luxuries AAA titles are given, they have proven that games indeed are art.
    Thomas Merton once said, “Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.” Journey made people drown in creativity and be lost within a painting. We wondered what was next, we became attached to this cloaked figure that we knew nothing about and more we learned his story with him the closer we got to him. This journey, set in the most beautiful world in gaming I’ve ever seen, heard or felt, is what gaming is all about; living the experience.
  73. Apr 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Journey, in my opinion, is a milestone in recent gaming. The introduction, navigation and how your character operates within this pseudo-open world is magnificent. While a shorter game, it works perfectly for what it presents and allows itself for multiple playthroughs.

Not being able to communicate (other than singing) with the companions that you meet is a splendid feature. The non-verbal communication reminded me of Fumito Ueda's games, and traveling through certain points felt reminiscent of Shadow of the Colossus. Having this world, prone to exploration, with a narrative open to interpretation is something I am certainly a fan of.

--- Spoilers and my experience below ---
    My first playthrough consisted of me meeting a companion early on and going with them throughout the world. They seemingly didn't know how to go in certain areas and followed me everywhere... which made me feel like the "older brother guide" esque person or protector as, I had no idea where I was going myself. After spending 2 hours with this individual, they left and with the accompanying 'leaving animation'... felt saddened. A GAME MADE ME FEEL SAD! In a later playthrough, someone who had unlocked certain things was showing me around and the role reversal was another remarkable feeling. I didn't know where the unlockables were, and they did... finishing the game with them was fun and our interactions were truly something to note, on a personal level. I can't reccomend Journey enough and for only $15 (US) is a remarkable deal. 9 /10
  74. Mar 26, 2013
    Journey looks good. But when it cones to play there is non but walking. they could make it better. the co-op sucks. hate it when you meet unkown others that add nothing to the game value but walking too. it is messing something to make it great. its damn beautifule and its only you and your thought since yoy do not need your brain or snything but one finger to press forword. it is no great and its overhyped. its relaxing though and meaningless like flower and flow. Expand
  75. Mar 23, 2013
    Now I know this as loads of acclaim and stuff but it's way overrated with some awards for multiplayer and STORY. First there's no story just a random cloaked faceless thing that walks across across a desert for a bit then you get to the top of the mountain and a pointless ending £/$15 is a rip-off don't buy it NEVER
  76. Mar 18, 2013
    Disappointed, bored and anti-climatic are all word I would use to describe this game. I got into it a bit and was truly scared, wowed and what-not, but I felt like the whole time I was just waiting for something magical to happen. I understand the point of the game is to underline the importance of a journey and not just the destination, but I was wanting to be done with the game and at the same time hoping something worthwhile was going to happen at the end. There are a few parts that are fun and engaging, but mostly this game is just boring. The graphics are good, but nothing amazing compared to other games. This game gets compared to Unfinished Swan. That game is high quality, this game is blah. Unfinished Swan has a real ending and leaves you feeling complete and successful. Journey does neither. I really don't want to play thru Journey again, but when you finish a game and only get 1 trophy, you're left to just wonder what you were supposed to do to get more trophies and think maybe I played the game the wrong way? I liked meeting other players, but found that aspect very confusing. Generally playing a game in a way that the developers wanted you to play gets you the most trophies, but I'm just confused. I can appreciate that this game is language and culture diagnostic, but it gives up all identity with it. There's reason to care about the traveler, but there's little understanding on where you going and why. This game is too short, too bland, too boring and I'm sad that I paid double for this than I paid for Unfinished Swan. Different experiences on playstation keep things fresh, but this is just underwhelming. If there wasn't so much hype, I would have enjoyed the game more. The hype kinda destroyed it, because I wanted an award winning experience. Telling me that this game is better than Unfinished Swan, Batman, Sound Shapes, Uncharted 3, Ghost Recon, Max Payne and the like is just false. Expand
  77. Mar 7, 2013
    Journey is the best example of how most simple of a game can be it opens up an endless amount of stories to be told and experience!
    I beg to differ on how someone said it's a short game well,the concept of journey is the meaning of life itself.
    The truth is life IS short but are you going to make it a good journey till' the end?
    The concept behind Journey cannot be beat you start off on
    the Journey of your life you meet people,some just comes and go some are there to guide you or helping get past all the obstacles in the end you know that you are never a loner.
    It's the game that cannot be describe by words just play it and if you feel warm deep inside after the credits roll you know it's QUITE a Journey. No numbers can properly rate this "game" just the way the meaning of life is,it cannot be measured!
  78. Mar 7, 2013
    I played Journey for the first time in early 2013. I've owned it since its launch back in March, 2012; but due to varying circumstances, I was never able to sit down and enjoy it. Since its release, I'd never heard anything but positive things about the game; but I was still a little nervous maybe it wouldn't hold up as well as I thought, maybe no-one would be playing and I wouldn't experience its unique online experience, maybe my expectations had been set too high.

I played through the game with two of my friends watching, and all of us were completely silent and enraptured by the end. Journey is beautiful, Journey is unique, and Journey is amazing. It is by far the best online experience I have ever had with a game, it has some of the most strikingly beautiful scenes I have ever seen in a game (they will stay with me for years), and I adore everything about what Thatgamecompany has done. Nothing I can say will be able to convince you to play it, but I urge you to listen to the overwhelmingly positive response to this game it is NOT overrated. An easy 10/10 (sure it's short, but who cares when the experience is this amazing?)
  79. Mar 6, 2013
    Journey is a game that is unlike any other in recent times, perhaps except for thatgamecompany's other offerings. Without releasing too many details, which I promise is 9/10ths of the whole of this game, I can comment that the beautiful art design, breathtaking music, and short, approachable play style are the perfect tools to deliver what I have found to be one of the most authentically memorable gaming experiences. Cannot recommend enough, but make sure you set aside the time to finish in one go. 2-3 hours should do the trick. You'll thank me later. Expand
  80. Mar 3, 2013
    Journey is one of the most memorable games ever made. The goal of the game is very simple: you start at point A and work towards reaching point B. You will do some light platforming and puzzle solving along the way to unravel a mysterious story. The controls are equally simple as you move with the joystick and then use two action buttons, one to jump and the other to communicate. You will likely meet others along the way and this is where the game shows its true power as you learn to communicate and work with your ally (I won't say anymore-- it'll ruin the experience). It's really hard to describe Journey... it is an "artsy" game but one that I think everyone should try. Journey's minimalist concept, simple gameplay, beautiful visuals and tranquil soundtrack create an experience unlike any other. The short adventure, which only lasts about 2 hours, left me with many different thoughts and feelings... but it was an adventure I'll never forget. Expand
  81. Mar 2, 2013
    I'm going to start off this review by saying, if you haven't picked up Journey, stop reading this and go download it now. If you completely ignored that last part and are still reading this, Journey is a work of art. It's a gem, but you probably already knew that didn't you? I bet you did. In a world coated with "super hyper realistic 50 shades of brown" cookie cutter games, we've lost sight of what gaming is. Gaming is supposed to take us to far away lands and places you could never go and put us in situations that could never happen. It's supposed to bring us together and share a beautiful adventure with us. Journey does that. Within the first five minutes of Journey I was racing through beautifully artistic sand dunes as my silent nameless protagonist. Not soon after that I was paired with a companion. Me and this companion never shared a word but an experience. We built a bond taking this journey together, the whole way through. This is a game realizes what gaming is, and captures it expertly.
    My journey may have only lasted an hour and a half, but I will remember it for a lifetime.
  82. Feb 24, 2013
    12,99 just to go for a walk for an hour? Graphics look good but everything else is just not there. How anyone can be so amazed about Journey is gonna stay a secret for me.
  83. Feb 21, 2013
    Journey, assim como Flower, Shadow of The Colossus, possui uma grande profundidade artistica, e são poucas pessoas que não enxergam isso, e essas pessoas que dão notas ruins e não possuem sensibilidade artística. Eu não possuo essa capacidade ainda, mas reconheço quando um jogo busca profundidade ao invés de jogatina. Journey um jogo para aqueles que buscam um jogo diferente do padrão, não apenas para jogar, mas algo filosófico. Expand
  84. Feb 8, 2013
    Okay, I really don't understand this one. Being a gamer for the past 25 years, I don't understand people telling this game is perfect or close to perfect... Okay it's beautiful and emotive by moments, but no real story, no voice acting, no combat, nothing happens, reaaaaaally slow...
  85. Feb 5, 2013
    This isnt even a game its 90 minutes long and its $15 horrible deal there is almost no gameplay and no story if you gave this goty then you are a idiot
  86. Jan 31, 2013
    Journey.....oh dios mio Journey LEJOS lo mejor que he jugado en mucho pero mucho tiempo. Es para aplaudír a la pantalla.

Mas que por su arte o su musica, es por como las utiliza para la experiencia.
    Eres tu quien esta haciendo la travesia, tu estas superando los obstaculos que se te presentan, y tu estas haciendote de un amigo sin siquiera hablar con el con palabras por la
    seguridad que te brinda viajar con el.
    TODOS DEBERIAN VIVIR ESTA EXPERIENCIA.
  87. Jan 31, 2013
    Beautiful. That is the best way to describe this game. Whether the player had an emotional reaction or just an appreciation for the visual and audio art all comes down to preference. And that's what's so special about this game.
  88. Jan 26, 2013
    This game has a linear storyline and is beatable in just a few hours. It's amazing to look at and it has a great soundtrack. I thoroughly enjoyed playing it.
  89. Jan 25, 2013
    Let me begin by saying I was not looking forward or excited to even start playing this game. With in the first few minutes I was very negative and not liking how the game started and how slow it was. As time went on the game started to pick up in speed and become more interesting. Along the way you are accompanied with a companion from someone else playing online with you. You will feel deep thoughts and emotions when playing this game. The art work is breath taking and the music as well. Over all do not! come in to this game negative. Give it a chance like I have and you will be glad you did. The thought of this game will never leave my mind. This game changes your view on life. Thank you Expand
  90. Jan 19, 2013
    Before I get into the game, let me just say, it is a fine game on its own. The visuals are great, the Music is fantastic, and it controls fine. BUT. The game, on its own, is too short for its own good. All in all, even with light Searching and backtracking, the story really only lasts about 4 hours. Second, after you have gone through the story 2 or three times, there's almost nothing left to see. If you look hard enough, you can find most of the Light Pieces on your first or second playthrough, and its not very difficult to find the rest, save for the autoscrolling levels, where you CAN'T backtrack, as the game is constantly moving you forward. So, instead of giving more replayability to the game, its only value is looking for tiny pieces of light that you've missed. If you get the Collectors Edition, with flOw and Flower, there are some more hidden goodies in the desert, but it's still almost the same game. People praise this as a revolution in Platforming and multiplayer, while it is no such thing. The multiplayer is an interesting mechanic, but other than lack of communication, it doesnt bring much to the table. As for the Platforming aspect, its almost entirely the same as other games, save the flying ability once you gather enough scarf. The price tag of $15, or $30 with the Collectors edition, makes its cost too high for its delivery. Maybe move the price down to under $10, and it would be well worth it Expand
  91. Jan 18, 2013
    Journey proves that quality over quantity is indeed true.The amazing moments you experience in this game are much more significant than any other game moments before it. Masterpiece!
  92. Jan 15, 2013
    Amazing, Truly amazing. If the mysterious story can't keep you hooked then the sandy and beautiful environment will. Endless re playability and really nice drop in-drop out co-op system.
  93. Jan 12, 2013
    This is not just a game - it's a masterpiece game industry, developers should be commended .. I spit on Battlefield 3 and Crysis .. I think that you have the same opinion.
  94. Jan 6, 2013
    Actually more like a 9.5... If you are willing to pay $15 for an awesome two-hour movie, then cough up the money and download this two-hour game. It looks amazing and the soundtrack is perfect. I doubt everyone will feel exactly how I felt, but I can definitely say that it is really an experience.
  95. Jan 5, 2013
    This game moved me to tears. After having completed it, I feel like I've learned something, or gained something in my life. I have never, *never* experienced something that touched me like Journey did. The experience is brief and very subtle, so if you prefer being beaten over the head by an overwrought and emotionally bankrupt 12-hour FPS campaign, this is not the game for you. But if you're looking for an experience that is simple, pure, unique, and truly, truly beautiful, you owe it to yourself to experience Journey. Expand
  96. Jan 3, 2013
    Thank you to that game company for creating a game that is genuinely original and truly emotional if you find a the right buddy on your Journey. If they continue on this path they might just be the pixar of gaming.
  97. Dec 26, 2012
    This is a solid, decent game. The graphics are as good, if not better than anything the major studios put out. The soundtrack is amazing and the progression is straight forward. It is about two hours in length and costs around $10 - 15 bucks. Journey, however, feels a little over-hyped. Definitely a good game, but not game of the year material. It is cool the developers created a game different from the norm in an amazing way. Definitely worth a play through, but not much beyond that. Expand
  98. Dec 17, 2012
    Definitely not the best game ever created, but one of the most unique. I have never played a game with such fantastic multiplayer as this one. I found myself questioning whether it was an actual person or not many times throughout the game only to be stunned to see 5 people that I met along the way. I can't emphasize how good that multiplayer is, holy cow. The problem is, besides the multiplayer and beautiful look and feel to it, there isn't much to it. Realistically it would be a 5-6/10 game without this perfect coop play. Is it worth the price? I would say so. Expand
  99. Dec 11, 2012
    I truly wanted to love journey, and wished it was going to be the best game ever, but in the end although it was beautiful and had amazing graphics, it was an experience not much of a game, and a short one at that. I wish it was a bit longer, but that is the nature of things. still worth trying I enjoyed it, but couldn't help be disappointed by the length. Which is the main reason i haven't played the unfinished swan. Expand
  100. Dec 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Journey was one of the most inspirational and deep games I have ever played, and this is a tough order for a game that stands at roughly an hour and a half. You control an odd creature that falls from the sky as dust in the middle of a bright, orange desert, which itself is littered with grave stones. The aim of the game is to get to the top of the mountain, which looms in your path for the whole of the Journey. As you progress through the game, you come across a broken civilization, and a story is revealed to you as you go by what I thought were gods. The gods tell you a story of how your ancestors were born from the stars and lived in harmony with the cloth, which is this game's version of life. They then built cities that blocked the plants from living and created robotic type creatures that then turned against them. They are reborn to the skies and you are sent to be their redemption. This game for me was about passing through the remains of what your people had done, and going about the journey that they went through all all that time ago. The mountain is represented as heaven, and when you sacrifice yourself for yourself by walking into the white light as the beautiful music takes a sad note. Your spirit is protected into the sky and passes back over the landscape you traversed. You see others of your species. They seem to be coming back. Like I said, the music is sublime and easily takes the best soundtrack of the year award. The landscapes are fascinating and one particular scene where the light reflects off of the shining sand as the sun sets is breath taking. The multiplier is very discrete, and once you are paired with someone, you can never contact them apart from a series of beeps and bops. This gives you an odd sensation about the person you're playing with, and it is amazing for immersion playing with an entity who is not represent-able by anything that isn't from the game.

In all, Journey is a must play and is easily the best indie game I've ever seen.
  101. May 7, 2012
    Journey was exactly what I expected. Beautiful, elegant, and only takes bout 2 hours to play. To me this game hit me in a far more personal way than many of the games out today ever could. If ya think 2 hrs is too short, walk away from this game. If no voice acting bothers you, or no real general guide on what to do bothers you, again walk away. But if you are looking for that one game that actually dares to be different, pick this game up on the PSN. It truly was a treat and I cannot wait for thatgamecompany to put out another game. Collapse

1. Mar 22, 2013
    An ethereal, innovative, emotional cooperative experience, thatgamecompany’s Journey is one that any PlayStation 3 owner should take.
  2. Sep 20, 2012
    If there was ever a game deserving of the word beautiful in it's description, it's Journey. The game is stunning to look at, satisfying to play and oozes atmosphere from every angle of its dynamic story and immersive world. Sure it's short by regular game standards but Journey is not a regular game. If your ready for an experience that will surprise you, move you and stick with you for many years after its done, then maybe this is the Journey for you.
  3. May 14, 2012
    Clever, emotive, and easily the best downloadable game so far this year. [June 2012, p.58]