Journey PlayStation 3

8.8

1. Apr 10, 2012
    I made an account here just to review this game. I have never been so emotionally invested in any game I've ever played, there isn't any way I can describe it. Honestly if you own a PS3 then this game is a must have. Just go buy it now.
  2. Apr 14, 2012
    If there is something that transcends the definition of game that something is Journey.
    Call the Journey game is something wrong simply because he surpasses himself.
    Getting something so incredible for a game downloaded itself deserves 10, but I would not be disappointed if this game was physical, thus give you a nice round 10.
  3. Aug 23, 2012
    Journey isn't so much a game, as an experience. The fact that it explains NOTHING to you, and gives you no background, is part of the charm. You get into this world, and you don't know why, but you HAVE to get to that mountain. Graphically it blows everything out of the water. Not to mention the multiplayer element is pure genius. You can run into anyone in this world and you don't knowJourney isn't so much a game, as an experience. The fact that it explains NOTHING to you, and gives you no background, is part of the charm. You get into this world, and you don't know why, but you HAVE to get to that mountain. Graphically it blows everything out of the water. Not to mention the multiplayer element is pure genius. You can run into anyone in this world and you don't know who they are, but you have to work together. For all you know, you could be playing with a Nazi, but you feel an emotional connection to them that I haven't felt in a game since Morrowind. Then at the ending (not gonna spoil it) I actually cried. Journey deserves what it gets, and what it gets is a solid 10! Expand
  4. May 14, 2013
    Unusually Journey is a game that lives up to the tremendous hype behind it. The game is astonishingly beautiful not only in the graphics but in the heart felt nature of it's word-less story. While interaction is limited, it never feels lacking like the game has just everything it needs in the right quantity. With enough variation in the places you visit to make you feel like you truly haveUnusually Journey is a game that lives up to the tremendous hype behind it. The game is astonishingly beautiful not only in the graphics but in the heart felt nature of it's word-less story. While interaction is limited, it never feels lacking like the game has just everything it needs in the right quantity. With enough variation in the places you visit to make you feel like you truly have been travelling a long way to get to your destination. It also manages to do something I never thought possible, get online gamers to work together without bickering and fighting. I will never forget the people I travelled with, even if I don't really know them. Expand
  5. Nov 24, 2013
    Nothing to talk, just buy it. Definitely the best indie game ever made, and it is a title that you should buy on PlayStation. Thatgamecompany really has potential, and I love their games.
  6. Jul 13, 2014
    I think the best way to describe this game is to say that the person who referred me to it, and insisted it was amazing, was a huge stoner. Like, "I want to go through a car wash high to see what it's like, dude!" stoner.

Journey is very, very pretty. And it's a story. Just a story. This is not a game; there is very little actual game play (lots of walking, though!) and literally no difficulty or challenge in completing the game. The story itself is amazingly simple -- as in, I could literally tell you it in a 140 character blurb.

So I could go on, but this game doesn't warrant it. It's not that exciting, it's not complex, it's just eye catching, and that has it's place, but it's strange to view this as a ground breaking game experience when it'd be better suited to most any other form of media.
  7. Jul 18, 2014
    This is the stuff that annoys me. The game didn't impede take up much of my time so it's only mild annoyance. I do hesitate to call it a game though. It's more of an movie where you have to hold the remote the whole time. I acknowledge that I clearly share the same passions over the game's message.

I knew nothing about this game going into it. Sitting at a friend's house and he throws me a controller and says I have to play Journey. Naturally I think this is a waste of time because my file will be at his house and I'll never finish before I leave so I admit I went into it not wanting to play. So I sit there chatting with a few people while looking at the tv and moving around the game for about an hour and a half and then it's over.

Based on gameplay I think it's terrible and it annoys me greatly to see it so highly rated. Based on artistic value it's great (probably, I don't art well). But I don't play games for their art merits. I play for gameplay immersion, mechanics, and story. I saw the pretty pictures, moved the character around, and was given the philosophical message. Didn't care one bit about the traveler or her journey. If this is a game you have to play then play a friend's copy. Don't buy, don't rent (not ever sure if you can).
  8. Oct 11, 2015
    It's pretty and the music is great, but my god is it boring. I actually fell asleep 20 minutes in the first play through. My online friends gushed about the online co-op mode, but everyone who joined my game would just run around randomly.
  9. Mar 20, 2012
    Journey is beautiful and involving. I didn't find it moving, but it is fascinating.

I played online and had a companion for each chapter. I wasn't actually sure whether they were other players or a computer character, because they were integrated into the cut scenes too. It was thrilling. However for an experience this immersive it is over far too quickly. Less is more aesthetically, but

However for an experience this immersive it is over far too quickly. Less is more aesthetically, but I was still exploring after two hours, and was definitely not ready or expecting to have to wrap up so soon. A shame that in the end something so measured ends up feeling attenuated ... Regardless, the game is genuinely stunning, obviously made with love, and it tells a mythic story with a light hand, which I liked. I hope it's a success, as it suggests new directions for what's possible with setting and atmosphere in games.
  10. Mar 21, 2012
    I bought Journey on impulse after hearing all the buzz and praise it was receiving, and it's safe to say it did not disappoint! Journey is a short and exhilarating breath of fresh air to the gaming world. Throughout your 3 hour long adventure you'll be met with some of the most exquisite graphics and pulchritudinous landscapes you've every seen in a video game. Not to mention the seeminglyI bought Journey on impulse after hearing all the buzz and praise it was receiving, and it's safe to say it did not disappoint! Journey is a short and exhilarating breath of fresh air to the gaming world. Throughout your 3 hour long adventure you'll be met with some of the most exquisite graphics and pulchritudinous landscapes you've every seen in a video game. Not to mention the seemingly flawless online play, in which you are connected to other travellers at random and can traverse the landscapes as a duo. No names, no microphones, just co-operative gameplay as it should be. The controls are as fluid and smooth as the game, using only 4 buttons throughout which makes it easy to pick up and play as and when you please. So in summary, Journey is an incredibly enjoyable gaming experience and should not be missed, but it now! Expand
  11. Feb 24, 2013
    12,99 just to go for a walk for an hour? Graphics look good but everything else is just not there. How anyone can be so amazed about Journey is gonna stay a secret for me.
  12. Jul 11, 2012
    this game is VERY exaggerated. Graphics are AMAZING. Sounstracks are OUTSTANDING. But come on... NO DIALOUGE? CHARACTERS ARE UNKNOWN? The goal is unclear... They want to reach the mountain...really unclear! Yes there is some beauty, peace... for 2 hours? SERIOUSLY.
    Make a better, clearer, more interesting story...
    PROS: Amazing Graphics, Sensational Soundtracks CONS: Unclear story, Way
    Make a better, clearer, more interesting story...
    PROS: Amazing Graphics, Sensational Soundtracks
    CONS: Unclear story, Way too short, Unknown character?
    i am simply expressing my opinion. You have yours and i have mine.
  13. May 23, 2012
    Welcome to Journey, the next world religion if you read some of these reviews. I give it marks for some heart and successfully putting a concept on display. But that's all it is, a $15 demo that gives us all an idea of the fresh direction video games could go in the future. If it were anything more, the developers would have charged more. Simple as that. In and of itself, however, thisWelcome to Journey, the next world religion if you read some of these reviews. I give it marks for some heart and successfully putting a concept on display. But that's all it is, a $15 demo that gives us all an idea of the fresh direction video games could go in the future. If it were anything more, the developers would have charged more. Simple as that. In and of itself, however, this game isn't really a game. It's like watching a movie with a joystick. You're fooled into thinking it's not absolutely linear because your dude can jump around and climb hills to see views of, uh, more emptiness. It doesn't require skill, the music provides all the emotion, and there is more danger lurking in the first level of Super Mario Brothers than in this entire game. I mean, even Luigi jumping on a flagpole thinks Journey is too easy. The game is a "yeah life is hard, but it's worth it/have hope/enjoy the journey/etc." symbol. So if you just broke up with a significant other or your parents got divorced or whatever, you're going read way too much into this thing and be like, "Yeah, that's me, pushing against the cold wind, hiding from monsters. That is SO just like my life." Well, guess what. That's everyone's life. Way less replay value than people claim. One and done. Heartwarming. Momentarily fun. Innovative. Whimsical. Boring. Nice. Beautiful. Short. Intriguing. Overrated. Save yourself the money and just watch someone else play it on YouTube. Don't tell me you need to personally be the one holding the stick forward for two hours to get what this game is about. Expand
  14. Apr 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am not going to make a lot of friends with this one but here we go. To me this just isn't worth $15 dollars. I played it once and two of my friends played it once. I would guess we got a total of 3 hours of gameplay out of it and I will most likely never touch it again. Is the music great and touching, yes. Are the graphics beautiful and moving, yes. But I don't understand how you put an orchestral soundtrack running in the background of your game and everyone thinks the story is deep and meaningful (I am looking at your Halo), when the truth is, It isn't. It's about life, it's about death, it's about rebirth. No, it's actually about how if against all logic you decide to chase a shiny object on a hill and believe that it might be a good idea to walk 5 miles in the snow only wearing a burka (which is clearly made for the desert, and misogyny) everything will be ok because the tall white gods in the sky will take you to heaven where you and any idiot that followed you will be burned to death in a golden glowing light. You can say I just didn't get it, but my guess is you didn't get it either and you decided to find meaning in your misunderstanding. I am not saying this game is crap. It is a beautiful piece of interactive art but I want all the people giving this game 10's to ask themselves if Journey is really what the pinnacle of game is. Or if they are just so jaded that a game essentially has to trick them like the emperor and is new clothes that they are the only one who doesn't get it. Expand
  15. Apr 2, 2012
    Journey is a pretty but shallow game. Right from the start you notice that Journey is completely linear and basically on-rails. The collectables make your scarf longer but ultimately aren't worth getting. The only reward you get for doing so are trophies; there's nothing in-game to make it worthwhile. The game was over before I knew it (under 2 hours), and because of the game's painfullyJourney is a pretty but shallow game. Right from the start you notice that Journey is completely linear and basically on-rails. The collectables make your scarf longer but ultimately aren't worth getting. The only reward you get for doing so are trophies; there's nothing in-game to make it worthwhile. The game was over before I knew it (under 2 hours), and because of the game's painfully short length, there was no time to form any kind of emotional relationship with other players. Replay value is extremely low, since the entire game follows the exact same path. There's no challenge either; the entire game is extremely easy. There's a couple puzzles here and there, but for most of the game you're just sitting there holding the control stick forward. If you're the type of person who likes games that are mildly interactive experiences emphasizing the visuals, then Journey will definitely be for you. Otherwise, you'll quickly find out that the constant high praise is completely unfounded and end up disappointed like me. Expand
  16. Feb 28, 2014
    Journey is indie hipster tripe. For whatever reason, this game's gotten praised, yet it's not much of a game, nor is it much of an "experience." It's a repetitive, AHEM, Journey *wink wink nod nod*, that isn't worth your money, much less your time. Go outside, teach your kid to ride a bike, and you'll have a much more worthwhile emotion than this hipster garbage.
  17. Apr 29, 2014
    To me, Journey is bad art.

Art, by its nature, should challenge the viewer. It should invite subjectivity, speculation, and wonder. This doesn't have to be positive, as it can also provoke fear and paranoia, but in some way, a good piece of art will challenge its audience. If all a piece of supposed art does is tell a story, then that's not art as I perceive it. If all it does is
    To me, Journey is bad art.

If all a piece of supposed art does is tell a story, then that's not art as I perceive it. If all it does is push an agendda, then that's not art either, that's propaganda. No matter how much you gussy up these things, you're not actually making art unless you're intellectually and/or emotionally challenging your audience.

Journey is, quite essentially, a popular appeal to the masses dressed up as art. It provides three very mainstream tenets for people to relate to, so that they can have their values reaffirmed whilst being convinced that this experience was enriching for them. That's not at all different to how propaganda works.

Creationism: To worship the one above is important, as they created all, and to seek any other than to do their work is an abhorrent sin. We were created, and as such, we obey our creator. It is through their glory that we will achieve; Rapture cometh, and with it, ascendancy.

Uniformity: Individualism is a sickness external to the herd, it's an insightful thought which comes from inside, rather than outside. The introvert provides a new query to the crowd which breaks the flow, and introduces chaos. This dissonance is sickness, and must be fought.

Neo-Luddism: Anything that existed before I was born is natural, anything that existed within my youth is new and exciting, and anything that exists after is an abomination. Our sciences will be the downfall of us all, we should return to a time when we churned our own milk and fought our wars with swords. They were better times.

These are commonly held beliefs. I can't say I agree with them because:

1.) Evolution.

2.) That's the borg.

3.) What about all those plagues?

But that's what Journey eschewed, plaintively, and without any shame. The white cloths were always presented with a godlike aesthetic similar to mainstream theologies such as Christian or Muslim beliefs. There were the glowing 'god beams' of light from on high, the domineering and divine omniscient presence, sharing its wisdom, and so on. Fairly obvious.

And then there was the fallen technology and the story of how it brought about the end of their civilisation. In this story, you're unable to challenge this notion, you can't challenge the god, nor can you try to get the machines up and running again. It is, essentially, 'push forward to understand how you should be thinking.'

There's nothing challenging about it. It's regressive propaganda, plain and simple. And, to a lot of the mainstream (very commonly amongst less intelligent people), this is romanticised. Especially the downfall of technology. All of those evil nuclear reactors. The average person is a bit peculiar and precious about that, really.

I mean, they want power, but not the nuclear plants. They want chemicals, but not the chemical industry. They want meat, but not the animal farms or slaughter houses. And this is what Journey panders to -- follow the ways of your godbeing and they'll take care of all that.

Leading right up to the ending with iconography designed to be reminiscent of the Rapture and Rebirth (as part of the herd, no less), since those things are apparently inspiring.

I was bored by Journey.

I've witnessed art in games, definitely, plenty of times. I love art. But Journey seems to be a cathartic experience, propaganda for those who want it, to coo softly into their ears and tell them that their beliefs are okay because Art agrees with them. It's faux art, it's a snake-oil salesman with an 'Art' stand of kitsch, contemporary artefacts, ready to sell to whatever gullible schmoes happen to stop by his stand.

It's for the mundane thinker who watches too much television, who's likely never visited an art gallery in their life, hasn't read too many books, et cetera.

I have seen ART now, I am enriched.

Except it isn't art, is it?

It's a crock of bull, it's propaganda, but it's not art.

It has this essence of the Emperor's New Clothes about it, where the developer told people it was art. And the common person believed it, not wanting to look stupid. They never analysed it, questioned it, or stopped to think about whether it actually qualified as art.

And the rest of it?

Exploring a desert with ancient ruins? Hardly original. Singing magicks? I've seen that before, even entire cultures based around DMT. It's not particularly new or clever. So there's no appeal there, either. And it isn't a game, either, so that doesn't save it.

It's just fake art for simple people.
  18. Aug 9, 2012
    Sony promised us so much and I am so disappointed with this title. Flow was ok but this one is not. There are some great games coming out around this time and you should spend your money on those instead of this letdown. Ok I like the arty style but I do not get taken away by the game contents for even one moment.
  19. Apr 3, 2012
    Way too short to justify its price, and I certainly would have given it a higher score if it had just been cheaper. Instead, it's hard to escape the feeling I was ripped off. Still, the game is engaging and original, giving the player an immersive environment in which to explore and come up with their own narrative as to what's going on exactly. And figuring out logic and physics of theWay too short to justify its price, and I certainly would have given it a higher score if it had just been cheaper. Instead, it's hard to escape the feeling I was ripped off. Still, the game is engaging and original, giving the player an immersive environment in which to explore and come up with their own narrative as to what's going on exactly. And figuring out logic and physics of the game world is a lot of fun the first couple time you play it. Expand
  20. Mar 21, 2012
    A good game at first. Strange visuals and a weird way to play. It's nice until you realize how short it is for such a demanding price. The graphics are plain, game play is tedious. The upside is it looks really good. Other than that, I wouldn't suggest its worth the price
  21. Mar 21, 2012
    A simple but unique game. I enjoyed it and the sand tech is rather nice. The first time I saw another little person in my world it surprised me. I carefully watched them and wondered what they were doing, I didn't realize this game was drop in coop. Then that person left and many more came and went over the next 90 minutes. The best parts are probably sliding down through the sand andA simple but unique game. I enjoyed it and the sand tech is rather nice. The first time I saw another little person in my world it surprised me. I carefully watched them and wondered what they were doing, I didn't realize this game was drop in coop. Then that person left and many more came and went over the next 90 minutes. The best parts are probably sliding down through the sand and flowing with the wind along with jumping. I wish I could get attached to the game as others, perhaps the minimalistic (non interactive) aspect of the co-op and the simple direction sells itself? Truthfully I just wanted to slide down the huge mountain at the end :( Expand
  22. Jan 11, 2015
    What the hell just happened, I've just been watching my boyfriend press 'UP' for 90 minutes, his finger hurt so I've been pressing up for him, why? Why is this game so lame that I've had to take time out of watching youtube seminars to relive his finger. This game is pointless the music is composed of midi crap and the whole thing is a lame stab at some art house peace of ****
  23. Apr 8, 2012
    Journey is not bad game, it's not fun, yet still has an appeal to it, but the whole time I played it there was that niggle in the back of my mind saying "I only like this because I've been told how good it is." In truth journey is a fairly linear and boring, and my initial perception was altered by what I had heard of the game. Twenty minutes into the game this wore off and I began to seeJourney is not bad game, it's not fun, yet still has an appeal to it, but the whole time I played it there was that niggle in the back of my mind saying "I only like this because I've been told how good it is." In truth journey is a fairly linear and boring, and my initial perception was altered by what I had heard of the game. Twenty minutes into the game this wore off and I began to see what Journey really was; a obsessed with it's own self importance that it can't be bothered to tell a coherant story but instead uses pseudoistic imagery to cover up for the non-existant story. Towards the end I did garner something from the game as me and my fellow adventurer which the game had seamlessly connected me too slowly trudged through the snow. It was to say the least brilliant. It was the only real moment me and my companion shared and we'd been together since the start of the game. Marching onward close to death until we fell into the snow unable to continue. It was raw, it was powerful, no thought is as colloasal as that of failure.

However in the game industry there is a misconception that for a game to be good it must have a happy ending and suddenly the raw emotion and loss I felt from me and my companion dying evaporated as we were miraculously revived and finished out journey. Regardless of how good a game is if that satasfaction only occurs for 15 minutes towards the end of a two hour game and that moment is then stripped away and may as welll never occured then I'm sorry but it's not worth my time or money.
  24. Mar 29, 2012
    Hugely disapointed and trying hard not to mark the score down to balance the overly high average. I was so looking forward to this game, and having played Flower, I knew what it was going to be about, atmosphere, slow pace, really nice visuals and good music. It is all of the above, but it is also, incredibly short (even at this price point), incredibly ridiculous gameplay in places (IHugely disapointed and trying hard not to mark the score down to balance the overly high average. I was so looking forward to this game, and having played Flower, I knew what it was going to be about, atmosphere, slow pace, really nice visuals and good music. It is all of the above, but it is also, incredibly short (even at this price point), incredibly ridiculous gameplay in places (I mean, walk into wind, be blown back, walk into wind, repeat and rinse), but the worst crime of all is unfullfilled promise.

All the way through Journey promises of a bigger puzzle by displaying hieroglyph type icons, it fools the player into thinking the mystery of these shapes and the artwork they display occasionally will have to be cracked, will have to be understood, into order to reveal the games true meanng, and allow the gamer to experience the end game - but no, these are merely momentary eye candy that have no influence on the gameplay at all.

How much greater could this game have been, if the gamer had to pull together all the images displayed on their "Journey", and figure out some kind of puzzle in order to enjoy some final reward scene. But no, in Journey, you just have to walk, up a hill, into the wind.

Very disapointed with this game, sadly.
  25. Mar 25, 2012
    Journey is great to look at, but not fun to play. All you get to do is walk and after you get passed the sand levels walking becomes annoying. It wouldn't be so bad if it was only five dollars, but there just isn't enough to do in this game to justify paying fifteen dollars for it.
  26. Mar 18, 2012
    After becoming fatigued from constant big budget games that require you to shoot stuff in the face I thought I'd give this a try as it looked so unique and different. After playing Journey though my feelings have changed. The game play isn't unique or different so much as it is none existent.

All you seem to do is press forward on the left stick to the point where at the end of the game my thumb was starting to ache. There is no challenge, nothing to interact with, no humor and the game generally is all about the graphics.

It's more of an interactive piece of art rather than a game that's meant to be experienced rather than played. But at just an hour and a half long I was relieved when it was over and for the price it's really not worth it.
  27. Jul 29, 2012
    $15 price tag, 1 hour of game play, no challenge, and no replay value (unless you're a trophy hog). I don't see why so many people overrate this "game". Sure it's pretty, but if I wanted nothing but eye candy, I would've downloaded a screen saver and stared at that. At least it would be free.
  28. Aug 9, 2012
    the gameplay is just not satisfying enough, and the multiplayer element, (where you see another player with no gamertag or identification) while a cool concept, is utterly strange and not used to it's potential
  29. Mar 14, 2012
    Sure this game is worth 9/10 if you didn't pay for it: I'm looking at you professional reviewers. It would even be 9/10 if it were 5 bucks and I wouldn't be pissed that it is only 1 hour of gameplay. But no, this game is FIFTEEN DOLLARS for a 1 hour game (a good one hour game nonetheless). However it is the very definition of linear, and the art style is just a ripoff of Team ICO games.Sure this game is worth 9/10 if you didn't pay for it: I'm looking at you professional reviewers. It would even be 9/10 if it were 5 bucks and I wouldn't be pissed that it is only 1 hour of gameplay. But no, this game is FIFTEEN DOLLARS for a 1 hour game (a good one hour game nonetheless). However it is the very definition of linear, and the art style is just a ripoff of Team ICO games. Save your money and watch on youtube if you are really bored. Expand

1. Mar 22, 2013
    An ethereal, innovative, emotional cooperative experience, thatgamecompany’s Journey is one that any PlayStation 3 owner should take.
  2. Sep 20, 2012
    If there was ever a game deserving of the word beautiful in it's description, it's Journey. The game is stunning to look at, satisfying to play and oozes atmosphere from every angle of its dynamic story and immersive world. Sure it's short by regular game standards but Journey is not a regular game. If your ready for an experience that will surprise you, move you and stick with you for many years after its done, then maybe this is the Journey for you.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    May 14, 2012
    Clever, emotive, and easily the best downloadable game so far this year. [June 2012, p.58]