7.6

1. May 23, 2011
    Having been reserved about this game, and now having had a chance to play it, my reservations were justified. So far I have found the game boring, linear, and nothing more than a glorified point and click move from A to B game. The facial animations are a truly amazing feat unlike any I have seen in a game prior, they don't hide the flaws of the game. Aside from those facial animations,Having been reserved about this game, and now having had a chance to play it, my reservations were justified. So far I have found the game boring, linear, and nothing more than a glorified point and click move from A to B game. The facial animations are a truly amazing feat unlike any I have seen in a game prior, they don't hide the flaws of the game. Aside from those facial animations, everything else has been very average. I wouldn't call it a bad game, just very very average. I would recommend renting before buying. Expand
  2. May 17, 2011
    A revolution in gaming. Feels like youre in a move the entire game. Instead of guns and bullets, you use wits and instinct. Amazing graphics and hollywood level voice acting. Well done Rockstar.
  3. May 17, 2011
    This game doesn't deserve 8 negative ratings.

You don't have to shoot or beat the sh!t out of people for a game to be fun. If you don't wanna think in a game and are looking for a game that just brainlessly shoots other sh!ts to win, go play MW or something and stay away from this. Thank you. Shortly put, it's fun and innovative, and great graphic, great story, great voice acting.
    This game doesn't deserve 8 negative ratings.

You don't have to shoot or beat the sh!t out of people for a game to be fun.

Shortly put, it's fun and innovative, and great graphic, great story, great voice acting. Replay value is slim to none, however, but you finish this game fully in around 20 hours.
  4. May 17, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a fantastic game. It's story, presentation and gameplay are all solid. The new motion scan tech is definitely the best part of the game. What it does is bring real life facial animation to L.A. Noire's character using 32 HD cameras. L.A. Noire also has the most meticulously recreated version of Los Angeles to ever appear in a video game.
  5. Jun 5, 2011
    In what world does a detective game not contain any actual sleuthing gameplay features. This game is completly self working, you have zero input in the solving crimes. Your role is to simply move the character from a to b while the story rolls on. Only stopping to be involved in the pointless monotomy of minigames. These minigames involve picking up clues and interogation but they serve noIn what world does a detective game not contain any actual sleuthing gameplay features. This game is completly self working, you have zero input in the solving crimes. Your role is to simply move the character from a to b while the story rolls on. Only stopping to be involved in the pointless monotomy of minigames. These minigames involve picking up clues and interogation but they serve no purpose other get you a good rating when the episode is over. You do not do any detective work, there are no puzzles, no peicing together of evidence and absolutely no deducing killers on your own! The main character does the detective work for you in cutscenes etc So what do you do then? Well, not much to be honest. You drive to locations, sometimes there shootings but only when the game allows. You get to chase criminals across various parts of the map but even that all you do is run, the character auto jumps and dodges obstacles - no skill required. The only thing this game has are graphics and awesome animations but you can only look at a game for so long before you want to play it and be challenged. Sadly, la noire does not offer this. Bland, boring, repetitive, self working awesome looking game. Expand
  6. May 17, 2011
    This isn't a game where you go around killing people. You have to use your brain and be a detective. It's not perfect, but it's immersive and amazing.
  7. May 17, 2011
    I do not understand how some people gave this game a zero. I understand some people might not like it but a zero come on people that is ridiculous. This is a thinking game and a new era for gaming all the brain dead shooter type of players need to get a brain.
  8. May 17, 2011
    This game is truly amazing. Rockstar and Bondi have completely redefined storytelling in gaming with this masterpiece. True, you don't get to go around killing everyone at your leisure, but that's not what this game is all about. It's about being a detective. And boy, does it ever do it well.
  9. May 17, 2011
    Highly overrated. Yes it is a solid game but a severe lack of engaging material ruins it. The story telling is sub par. The gravelly voiceover is terrible and instead of drawing you in to the story it just reminds you that you're not. Bad mechanics and subpar gameplay only enhance its failings. The game is as linear as a game can be. Yes you can roam the streets but the game gives you noHighly overrated. Yes it is a solid game but a severe lack of engaging material ruins it. The story telling is sub par. The gravelly voiceover is terrible and instead of drawing you in to the story it just reminds you that you're not. Bad mechanics and subpar gameplay only enhance its failings. The game is as linear as a game can be. Yes you can roam the streets but the game gives you no reason to do so. It is as simple as drive to point A. and pick up an item. Drive to point B. and show the item to someone. Drive to point C. and interrogate someone. Mission over. Yes the interrogations could be fun but they aren't. Especially when you realize that the game will only let it turn out one way. A complete disappointment. The only reason I can see it getting such good reviews is because of the graphics. I'm actually rating the game much lower than I think I should only to counteract the ridiculous amount of high reviews. Oh and P.S. Don't even think about replay valuse. This game has zero. Expand
  10. May 17, 2011
    I'll start with the game mechanics. They basically ripped the whole feel of the game including driving, walking, brawls, shooting, etcetera from the GTA engine. While this is okay, they didn't add anything new in innovative gameplay. Unless you count having your camera locked in a specific action as your character does something (searching a dead body for evidence). The cases themselvesI'll start with the game mechanics. They basically ripped the whole feel of the game including driving, walking, brawls, shooting, etcetera from the GTA engine. While this is okay, they didn't add anything new in innovative gameplay. Unless you count having your camera locked in a specific action as your character does something (searching a dead body for evidence). The cases themselves simply aren't very tough. Having played 5 hours on my 360 and 3 hours on the PS3, I can safely assume that I am out of the tutorial section of the game and that this is the difficulty the cases have. You simply gather evidence, and at first I thought this was nice, there was some dummy evidence that was useless and only meant to throw you off, but it was all scripted. It's not like they just littered the scene with things you'd find at a crime scene or a house, they made everything you can pick up there for a reason. So instead of having to cycle through hundreds of pieces of evidence or objects that I could use to extract information out of people, I basically had maybe a dozen or so items that would appear in my notebook when questioning people. I was hoping for the ability to collect thousands of useless things with only a few being of any relevance to the case and leaving me to sit down and actually THINK which piece of evidence I should use for my situation, rather it be questioning a witness or interrogating someone. The consequences are pretty limited too... I know I'm nitpicking, but this is a serious issue. What happens when you fail a case? You get thrown back to the closest check point before you messed up and failed the case. I was hoping failing a case would simply never let you replay it again in that campaign, thus making people be cautious with their actions before making sudden moves. That or they could have at least have you start over again at the beginning of the case. The witnesses and suspects are way too obvious in their emotions. It basically rolls out like this: Is he innocent? Then he'll be rational when you ask him questions. Is he not innocent? Then he'll act hostile and irrational to the slightest question you ask him. There are times when this isn't the case, but it seemed like it was too easy. Intuition points... I am nit picking now, I admit it. They're basically hint cards, and there is nothing wrong with it, but it's just that... the game is so easy. If you have any critical thinking skills, then you won't need the intuition points hardly if at all. The graphics. I know this is the icing on the cake and not anything you should grade the game on (unless it's obviously bad), but the graphics are mediocre. It looks like a game from late 2006. The cut scenes were obsessive. I simply hate cut scenes in games. They remove gameplay and any interaction you have with the scene at all. They could have at least had it scripted, because it was completely unnecessary to take ALL control away from you without letting you at least experience through your controller. They need to stop this, period.

The sounds were pretty good. There are times in the game where I noticed the sound engineering at work, and I applaud them for it. It's not the greatest in terms of sound engineering, but there is clearly talent in that sector.

The environment however is lacking. It's very non responsive in general. The civilians don't look up at you when you're chasing a criminal, they don't even make any acknowledgement of you unless you near run them over.

This is all I can think of for this review, so I'll draw this to an end. The game was certainly a change of heart for Rockstar (they co-developed it and published it, don't you dare tell me this wasn't heavily influenced by Rockstar) and they tried venturing out into unknown territory. I'll give them a "bravo" for going beyond the medium and not simply rehasing GTA over and over, like with GTA 1911, or other wise known as Red Dead Redemption. However, they did not deliver it very well. The cases are too easy, the gameplay mechanics seem very old and not very improved upon, and it just doesn't feel like it's own game. It feels more like an expansion pack or a developers mod for GTA IV. This game will receive 10/10s from many 14 year olds, I assure you, just because it's a Rockstar publication and co-development. I almost feel like giving it a 0 to counteract the perfect scores, but I will not. A 4 seems like an appropriate grade, albeit may be viewed as a bit harsh, for this game. There was so much potential with this game, but it simply failed to bring it out.
  11. May 17, 2011
    This isn't a game, it's a C-movie. There's barely any gameplay, and what's there is too easy and boring. If this is the direction gaming is going, I don't want to be there. If you want a game that relies on it's narrative play Planescape: Torment instead.
  12. May 27, 2011
    Allow me to be the one to say, this game is not for everyone. The story is relatively linear and the story moves slower than any other rockstar game go date. I found myself questioning if inshould have rented brink instead on many occasions. After about 6 hours of gameplay and still not having Played brink I can safely say this game is ok. On one hand I truly felt like a criminalAllow me to be the one to say, this game is not for everyone. The story is relatively linear and the story moves slower than any other rockstar game go date. I found myself questioning if inshould have rented brink instead on many occasions. After about 6 hours of gameplay and still not having Played brink I can safely say this game is ok. On one hand I truly felt like a criminal investigator, asking my wife to quiet down because I was on a case. On the other I literaly fell asleep during a long period of dialogue. The facial animations are a neat distraction but do they make the game? Let me leave on this note, I no longer purchase video games but I am an avid renter of the art. It is games like this that make me glad to adhere to this standard, I do not regret the playthrough but i would not need this game in my library. Expand
  13. Apr 10, 2012
    There are some idiots who expected this to be GTA or Red Dead. Well, it's definetly not. Most cases are interesting, the plot takes some great twists and turns, and the revolutionary face-animation is really quite amazing. There are some issues with the game though. Some characters don't get the attention they deserve and controlling Cole, the main character, can feel awkward and make itThere are some idiots who expected this to be GTA or Red Dead. Well, it's definetly not. Most cases are interesting, the plot takes some great twists and turns, and the revolutionary face-animation is really quite amazing. There are some issues with the game though. Some characters don't get the attention they deserve and controlling Cole, the main character, can feel awkward and make it difficult to inspect certain clues.
    It also has a pretty good soundtrack.

This game isn't for everyone, but if you want a good story, check this game out.
  14. Sep 23, 2011
    I finally got around to playing this game. And it just isn't as good as the professional reviews make it out to be. The user review score is much closer to the truth on this one. Yes, the game looks stunning, the facial animations are suberb and the voice acting is outstanding. And yes, the setup - a detective game that focuses on wit and cunning, rather than violence - was very promising.I finally got around to playing this game. And it just isn't as good as the professional reviews make it out to be. The user review score is much closer to the truth on this one. Yes, the game looks stunning, the facial animations are suberb and the voice acting is outstanding. And yes, the setup - a detective game that focuses on wit and cunning, rather than violence - was very promising. Was. Because it doesn't deliver on that promise to me. The gameplay is too simple and repetitive for that: 1) find clues (read: click X on everything you think might be a useful item and wait for the game to tell you whether it is or not); 2) talk to several people to get more clues; 3) talk to the person you know the game will make you accuse and get a confession or decisive proof. Step 1) gets boring really quickly. And steps 2) and 3) are often overly confusing. On many occasions things just didn't make any sense and I could not believe the person was not telling the truth while he had no reason to lie or he was obviously lying but somehow the game wouldn't let me use what I believed to be clear evidence of that (also when I had found all clues). There's also no way to get any forensic evidence checked at some point because the game doesn't want you to find certain things out. Because that would destroy the storyline it's forcing you down. And it's precisely this forcing and linearity that disappointed me. It rendered even the interviews (that were frustrating to begin with as it was) boring quite quickly. I just started examining if the suspect would keep looking straight at me or not. If he didn't (and I didn't have any relevant evidence): doubt. If he did: truth. Simple. Always the same. Boring. Really unfortunate, because I had high hopes for this one. I will keep playing and will at least start the next act, but if the game keeps frustrating me like this... (example: you cannot run across a large piece of wood, instead you have to inch your way across as when walking a chain/rope; another example: you have to chase a suspect underground, get lost and the way forward is hidden around a corner where you don't think to look because there's a closed gate in front of you and you think you have to somehow open it; example: you have to find hidden messages in sights in the city but you haven't discovered all sights so you have to drive around until the game tells you were some are instead of finding them yourself; I could go on). And ultimately, that is the test that shows whether a game is great or not. One that offers you only enjoyment and no frustration is great. One that frustrates you often and makes you wonder why you're still playing is not. L.A. Noire falls in the latter category. Expand
  15. Oct 24, 2011
    Solid game. As many Rockstar games go, some absolutely amazing gaming features, right next to terrible flaws. I personally think its a great storyline, the acting is really good, and the characters are engaging. The detail of the City of LA is remarkable, but I would expect nothing less from Rockstar. As with Red Dead, I found myself wandering around just looking at the remarkableSolid game. As many Rockstar games go, some absolutely amazing gaming features, right next to terrible flaws. I personally think its a great storyline, the acting is really good, and the characters are engaging. The detail of the City of LA is remarkable, but I would expect nothing less from Rockstar. As with Red Dead, I found myself wandering around just looking at the remarkable details.
    The gameplay itself was fun, although a little tedious and grinding. But again, its a Rockstar game, so I expected that. I do agree that some of the investigative clue finding becomes very easy although they did a great job on the interrogations. I found the interogations to get more complicated as the cases progressed. My main complaint as with all Rockstar games are the CLUNKY controls. I really wish they would come up with a new system.
    For fans of mystery or Rockstar, the game will be enjoyed, but for those who haven't liked sandbox, Rockstar games in the past, you won't like this one any better.
  16. May 24, 2012
    An incredible game that's sadly way ahead of its time. There's so much to do in and say about LA Noire that it's hard to know where to start, but simply from a technical standpoint the game is in a class of its own. The facial animations aren't just amazing in the cut scenes - even the tiniest character in the corner has his or her own personality. The map is huge and every street has itsAn incredible game that's sadly way ahead of its time. There's so much to do in and say about LA Noire that it's hard to know where to start, but simply from a technical standpoint the game is in a class of its own. The facial animations aren't just amazing in the cut scenes - even the tiniest character in the corner has his or her own personality. The map is huge and every street has its own stunning landmarks, and you can tour them in a host of different kinds of period automobiles. And just when the plot begins to grow slightly tiresome, suddenly a twist is introduced and you're playing as a different character. That said, LA Noire is a bit smarter than your average game, so it will appeal to a different audience than Grand Theft Auto, the latter of which involves much fewer riddles and no conversational skill whatsoever to beat. Despite very high expectations, LA Noire managed to actually deliver on all it promised in an age of otherwise lofty claims. The only reason why it doesn't deserve a 10 involves some of the conversational branches, which feel counter-intuitive at times and occasionally use tricks that were never explained or ever really introduced. But if you think the story is going to feel stale or antiquated as a result of the source material from which it is derived, amazingly this is not the case and LA Noire breaks a lot of new ground. Expand
  17. Nov 9, 2011
    Excellent game. Not your run of the mill average game by any means. Unique and engaging with plenty to do. Linear?.. sure, but not everyone wants every game to be sandbox. Some games are better when linear... this being one. However some should use caution if thinking of buying this game: you have to use your brain. All around terrific.
  18. Nov 10, 2011
    Fun game, with a very interesting plot. The setting of the game feels very new and appropriate. However, it lacks in re-playability. Once you complete the storyline a few times, you will find yourself wanting more, but won't be able to find it.
  19. Aug 17, 2012
    L.A. Noire is an unique game, full of crimes and murders. You feel like a professional detective when you play this game, because L.A. Noire is masterful. Finding clues for the crime or murder that happened, is an unique experience. It's with a great gunplay and hand to hand fight. But, the gameplay, can be repetitive, if you play L.A. Noire too much. But, what impresses me is the faceL.A. Noire is an unique game, full of crimes and murders. You feel like a professional detective when you play this game, because L.A. Noire is masterful. Finding clues for the crime or murder that happened, is an unique experience. It's with a great gunplay and hand to hand fight. But, the gameplay, can be repetitive, if you play L.A. Noire too much. But, what impresses me is the face reaction of the virtual characters. It's so realistic and It's even needful. Virtual characters, by moving their mouth, eyes and eyebrows, it makes a needful part of the game. Detecting if someone lies, tells the truth or only you have doubt for both, That is a part of the gameplay, giving questions to bad guys to detect if he is the murderer. So, you have to search for plenty of victims and you have to give questions to them. Sounds boring, huh? Well, no It's not. It is amazing. 90 out of 100 Expand
  20. Sep 28, 2013
    "L.A. Noire" solo puede decir que Rockstar lo volvió a hacer: otra entrega de la prestigiosa compañía de videojuegos creó un "Grand Theft Auto" en los años 40' y déjenme decirles que funciona. Es un juego fuerte y decidido que te toma como rehén hasta que termina el juego y créeme que no te soltará.
    Sabio juego hecho para cambiar la temática "Grand Theft Auto".
  21. Jul 22, 2014
    This is a really good game in my opinion. I loved how accurate the facial expressions were. La Noire is different from other games, which I really like. Solving cases(and getting rated) and searching for clues is an A+ in my book. You have to watch some cut-scenes which I am not used to but, they are a must if you want to do well on the cases(who doesn't, right?) Story telling isn't theThis is a really good game in my opinion. I loved how accurate the facial expressions were. La Noire is different from other games, which I really like. Solving cases(and getting rated) and searching for clues is an A+ in my book. You have to watch some cut-scenes which I am not used to but, they are a must if you want to do well on the cases(who doesn't, right?) Story telling isn't the best but this game is a must play for any gamer. Expand
  22. Jun 21, 2011
    I'm not sure why this game is rated so incredibley. Yes there are some great things going on--but it seems pieced together in a way that doesn't make sense...the best way a friend put it is this---LA Snoire...yes SNORE...I have been trying and trying to get into this game but the interest is slow--the clue searching thrown together...just walk around and wait for your controller toI'm not sure why this game is rated so incredibley. Yes there are some great things going on--but it seems pieced together in a way that doesn't make sense...the best way a friend put it is this---LA Snoire...yes SNORE...I have been trying and trying to get into this game but the interest is slow--the clue searching thrown together...just walk around and wait for your controller to vibrate...the lead role is bi-polar--and you never know how truth, lie or doubt are goin to turn out--there is some great tech behind the facial features..and the open world is great..but the implementation of either of them is poor. There is no need for the open world...and when you read their faces you can doubt them or tell that they are lying but it has no effect because Cole Phelps is probably just going to flip out in a roid rage. I really really want to/wanted to like the game..but it's boring compared to many other games...yeah you have the occasional shoot out...yeah you can drive wherever---but they should have just made this a linear game...dropped the open world..and really told a real story. I know rockstar loves their open worlds..but in this case it just doesnt feel right. PS they spent so much time on facial features that they forgot to spend some time of the rest of the characters....its like real heads on plastic/unreal bodies. I will give it another whirl..but I'm not sure I am going to solve all the cases....I may just be sleeping"...SNoooiiiree" Expand
  23. Jun 26, 2011
    Although the facial animations and the recreation of 1940's L.A is impressive, the game play isn't. Finding clues consists of tapping the "x" button to find interactive objects and wait for the game to tell you which ones are clues. You can then check your notebook to see if you have seen every clue (if the location is crossed out you have found everything). The chase sequences consist ofAlthough the facial animations and the recreation of 1940's L.A is impressive, the game play isn't. Finding clues consists of tapping the "x" button to find interactive objects and wait for the game to tell you which ones are clues. You can then check your notebook to see if you have seen every clue (if the location is crossed out you have found everything). The chase sequences consist of holding the sprint button until you are within a certain range to hit "x" for a tap tackle or shoot your weapon if it is available. The fight sequences can be won by mashing x and square without any thought. The interrogations are the most interesting part and I enjoyed using the clues to back up my accusations, but on quite a few occasions I was confused about the context of the questions (what I was accusing them of or what I thought was the truth or what I was doubting). I enjoyed the decisions of who to convict for a case, but in each of the desks the story would conclude that your decisions didn't really matter. You feel like your input as a player doesn't matter when you realise that you could get every question wrong and convict the "wrong" person and still receive the same conclusion in the end. Expand
  24. May 22, 2011
    On the surface La Noire seemed intriguing; a detective game that combines investigation with combat , driving, and interrogation set in the seedy/glamorous setting of 40's LA. Despite its grand ambitions it fails on almost every level, because the whole thing is a mere illusion. The main crux of the game is - as it should be - about detecting. Scouring crime scenes for clues, talkingOn the surface La Noire seemed intriguing; a detective game that combines investigation with combat , driving, and interrogation set in the seedy/glamorous setting of 40's LA. Despite its grand ambitions it fails on almost every level, because the whole thing is a mere illusion. The main crux of the game is - as it should be - about detecting. Scouring crime scenes for clues, talking to witnesses, experts, and adding up the evidence. But all of this is very shallow and limited. Whilst the searching for clues is handled well, how you are able to use them in interrogation is frustrating, and in many instances plain illogical, reminding me of the old point 'n' click adventures, where rather than using logic and the clues in a 'real world' way, you had to second guess what the developers were thinking. There were many instances during the game that if it were for real, i would have shoved a slew of damning evidence in the face of a witness to intimidate and get them to spill, but the game will only allow you to ask a very narrow set of questions, where there is only one 'correct' answer. This renders much of the info stuffed in your notebook utterly useless. As a result interviews - whilst there is no denying the stunning nature of the facial tech - leave you feeling deeply unfulfilled, as do the end of many cases It gives you a whole beautiful city, but nothing to do in it (and no i wasn't expecting it to, nor wanting it to, be gta). The foot chases are simply a case of holding the sprint button and directing which way to run - you dont even have to press a button to time jumps. Also, in some chases you can't draw your weapon (because the game needs you to have the perp taken alive), whilst in others where the game wants you to kill them, it sets up a clunky cover-shoot scenario. And this really sums up the game. Where it should be a game of intellect and choices that have consequence, La Noire never takes off the handcuffs and lets you 'play'. You can't, for example, just go back to interview a suspect you've arrested, you have to wait until the game wants you to. You can't go back to re-interview people - again unless the game wants you to. You can't go and discuss things with forensic pathologist or your captain unless...you get the idea. Everything you do feels like you're being pushed - sometimes forced - down paths to arrive at the next cut scene or the 'correct' conclusion. This is never more clear than at the end of a case where you have gotten many of the questions 'wrong' but still automatically end up solving the case. For all it's faults the game is actually quite engrossing. It pulls no punches in crime scenes and the acting is generally superb. I can only hope that team bondi get another chance to deliver a game of more substance rather than this alluring fraud. Expand
  25. May 25, 2011
    LA Noire, is set in a gloriously convincing depiction of Los Angeles in 1947. The controls are similar to GTA, the game style is very different to GTA. You are a LAPD detective, question suspects and witnesses, solving cases. You have to analyze facial responses and bodily twitches, just like in real life. Overall it is an outstanding game, very fun, well worth the money. BreathtakingLA Noire, is set in a gloriously convincing depiction of Los Angeles in 1947. The controls are similar to GTA, the game style is very different to GTA. You are a LAPD detective, question suspects and witnesses, solving cases. You have to analyze facial responses and bodily twitches, just like in real life. Overall it is an outstanding game, very fun, well worth the money. Breathtaking camera work, well done rockstar and Team Bondi for producing an outstanding game. Very addictive Expand
  26. May 17, 2011
    L.A. Noire makes me feel spoiled. It wasn't until I started playing this game two days ago that I realized how accustomed we've all become to the stagnancy in games today. I can't remember the last time I played something this fresh. It's really reinvigorated my love for the art of video games. Every thing about L.A. Noire just oozes detail and as I get further into the game it's becomingL.A. Noire makes me feel spoiled. It wasn't until I started playing this game two days ago that I realized how accustomed we've all become to the stagnancy in games today. I can't remember the last time I played something this fresh. It's really reinvigorated my love for the art of video games. Every thing about L.A. Noire just oozes detail and as I get further into the game it's becoming more and more evident that really is the product of the utmost love and care from Rockstar and Team Bondi. And more than the presentation and polish, the actual mechanics are a total blast. Something about the investigation elements is so damn satisfying, partly because they're truly unlike anything I've done in games before. Gaming's vocabulary when it comes to activities for its audience for so long has been mostly "punch, hit, shoot, kill, blow up" etc. But now, thanks to L.A. Noire, we can expand that vocabulary a little bit. Intelligent and mature gamers the world over rejoice. Something special has arrived. Expand
  27. May 17, 2011
    This is a great game and a must buy for the thinker. This is a defining moment in the industry of gaming as this game has broadened the gaming horizon and has made gaming more appealing to all types of people.
  28. May 20, 2011
    + Voice acting, writing, animation, music, investigation aspects are appealing
    -- Lack of saving, clunky controls, generic side assignments, flawed interrogation logic, driving system
  29. Jun 10, 2011
    I went into thinking that when I get my hands on LAN I would end up playing a mix of Grand Theft Auto 4, Mafia and Alfred **** films. I walked away less impressed than I was with the trailer. It's not that the game is bad, it's just not very interesting. Driving physics are poor. Not much to do in the City, or sidequests. It's repetetive. The detective work is limited, but good. The facialI went into thinking that when I get my hands on LAN I would end up playing a mix of Grand Theft Auto 4, Mafia and Alfred **** films. I walked away less impressed than I was with the trailer. It's not that the game is bad, it's just not very interesting. Driving physics are poor. Not much to do in the City, or sidequests. It's repetetive. The detective work is limited, but good. The facial animation is amazing. This game just fails to impress me. If it didn't have the awesome facial expressions and animations, this would have been the poor man's Mafia 2, or a GTA1950. I can't recomend this game. Expand
  30. Jul 7, 2011
    What is it with game journalists on web sites these days? Every time some thing slightly different from the norm comes out they laud it with praise and give it near perfect review scores. Poor old games buyers rush out to buy what the press says it the best game ever invented and find an interesting concept for a game that lacks that something that journos seem to forget about - FUN!.What is it with game journalists on web sites these days? Every time some thing slightly different from the norm comes out they laud it with praise and give it near perfect review scores. Poor old games buyers rush out to buy what the press says it the best game ever invented and find an interesting concept for a game that lacks that something that journos seem to forget about - FUN!.

The city looks fine only very little happens, all the interviews are basically the same and the driving is poor and the shooting pathetic - Kane and Lynch 2 was much more fun.

If you want something similar that is fun try the underrated Mafia2 instead, that is still far from perfect, but is fun which after all is what games are supposed to be about. Personally I'd rather play Saint's Row 2 and watch re-runs of Columbo.
  31. Jan 25, 2012
    L.A.Noire is a mature, immersive and very well produced adventure. Don't expect a traditional sandbox or an action game, L.A.Noire is much more close to old (and great) investigative adventures we had on PC years and years ago.
    The environments are extremely detailed and polished, every corner you explore is convincing and rich in details, the city is vast and amazing, cars are also impressive. Narrative is mature, deep and capture the "Noir" feeling and mood well. Characters are deep, something rare in video games, and will stay with you long after you finish the game.
    Facial animation is truly outstanding and the voice overs are all great and very expressive, all actors did a good job.
    Action moments are polished and fluid, just a bit repetitive at times, this is why I am not giving this unique game a perfect 10. Driving sequences are pleasant especially because the cars and the city just feel right, real but cinematic.
    L.A.Noire is not for every one, it is a slow pace game, but a immersive, deep, mature, dark and expressive gaming experience.
  32. May 31, 2011
    I think i came into L.A. Noire expecting to much but i imagined a challenging detective game with great facial animation . Well I got the facial animation but I'm halfway through the game and can't tell any considerable ramp up in difficulty. Also in the interviews sometimes they change the rules between truth and doubt where the guy is telling the truth but in order to get the rightI think i came into L.A. Noire expecting to much but i imagined a challenging detective game with great facial animation . Well I got the facial animation but I'm halfway through the game and can't tell any considerable ramp up in difficulty. Also in the interviews sometimes they change the rules between truth and doubt where the guy is telling the truth but in order to get the right answer you have to doubt him which seems kinda cheap. The main character also seems to overreact in some situations when use doubt but then with the next time you ask a question it seems like that outburst never happened. The main thing i can praise this game is on facial animation which is the best at the moment in the industry. I would recommend this as a rent or those that simply like to see new technology used in game and I personally hope they do better with the next game. Expand
  33. Feb 11, 2012
    There are flaws: the interview process can get repetitive and tedious, the sledgehammering visual metaphors and foreshadowing ("Look! Someone mentioned "doing God's work!"") go beyond mere homage and become uncomfortably cliched and the shootouts and fistfights are regularly unnecessary and lacklustre.

But these problems pale in the context of what Rockstar and Team Bondi have created: this game requires you to think, to learn and to immerse yourself into their meticulous recreation of Los Angeles. It's not perfect, but it's damned good.
  34. May 17, 2011
    This game oozes atmosphere. It throws in enough of the GTA engine to feel like your in control but still has enough point & click elements. It has more depth than GTA or RDR but isnt as blatant in regard to action or free roaming. The characters are believable and likeable ( unlike some earlier rockstar games) . The game is not restrictive in your progress. You can go steaming through aThis game oozes atmosphere. It throws in enough of the GTA engine to feel like your in control but still has enough point & click elements. It has more depth than GTA or RDR but isnt as blatant in regard to action or free roaming. The characters are believable and likeable ( unlike some earlier rockstar games) . The game is not restrictive in your progress. You can go steaming through a case pretty quick and finish it or be precise in every action you take. This in turn will lead you inevitably to a different conclusion. Each new mission however isn't always connection to your previous progress which can be vexing. Overall it's a fantastic achievment in video gaming. An interactive movie that genuinly keeps you involved and has you gripped from start to finish. It's not GTA or RDR and doesnt try to be. Superb. Expand
  35. May 21, 2011
    Yawwwwn!! Wow, what is this? L.A. Noire had so much potential, but ends up being a snore-fest. It makes me really miss Red Dead Redemption. The graphics are amazing, yes. Everything else though is Linear and boring. Not to mention that the controls are terribly sluggish and "clunky". I'm really disappointed. I guess for what it is, L.A. Noire is pretty good, just don't expect anythingYawwwwn!! Wow, what is this? L.A. Noire had so much potential, but ends up being a snore-fest. It makes me really miss Red Dead Redemption. The graphics are amazing, yes. Everything else though is Linear and boring. Not to mention that the controls are terribly sluggish and "clunky". I'm really disappointed. I guess for what it is, L.A. Noire is pretty good, just don't expect anything nearly as engaging and entertaining as Red Dead Redemption or GTA, for that matter. If anything, I hope that the graphics and the facial animation tech gets adopted for future games and if they make more of this game in the way of sequels, they come up with a way to keep me from falling asleep at the wheel (which I literally did a few times while playing this game!) Expand
  36. May 17, 2011
    First off. If you are expecting GTA 5 than please spare yourself the pain and don't play it. So far I am 13 hours in and have only shot 36 people.This game is not about shooting up LA it is a game about intense investigation. This is my 2nd favorite game I have EVER played. I was honestly shocked when I saw the scores that this game got. It is the most immersive game I have ever playedFirst off. If you are expecting GTA 5 than please spare yourself the pain and don't play it. So far I am 13 hours in and have only shot 36 people.This game is not about shooting up LA it is a game about intense investigation. This is my 2nd favorite game I have EVER played. I was honestly shocked when I saw the scores that this game got. It is the most immersive game I have ever played (except possibly bioshock). The new face technology is flat out amazing. You can really see every movement in the characters faces. If you are looking for a game that requires REAL thought, and doesn't require you to mindlessly kill people this is the only place to look. Amazing game through and through. Also I think the car physics are fine. Everyone needs to keep in mind that these are 1940's cars, not a lamborghini. Expand
  37. May 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Like many other people, I really wanted to fall in love with this game. Even though it wasn't pure Rockstar, it showed promise. However, there are many flaws with this game that holds it back.

Story - The story starts off quite nice. A war veteran (or hero) joins the ranks of the LAPD to continue giving back to the country and preventing wrongs or bringing justice to them. However, the story hits the brakes and comes to a screeching halt about halfway through on the homicide desk. There are five "cases" that deal with homicides but they are all the same. Every single case is virtually a repeat of the first. Not only is this frustrating in that it's repetitive and boring but also that the player is forced to knowingly put innocent people in jail despite the bigger criminal at hand. Then the last desk deals with arson, except only 40% of the story on that desk is actual arson. The user is forced to play as a different character to end the game after the twist that completely goes against what the user knows. There is no history or reasoning for the main character to commit adultery. What was meant to be surprising comes off as a skeptical way to keep the story moving. The story/case aspect is also incredibly linear - this is only one way to do anything. Street crimes and certain story scenes are pre-meditated. No matter how much you try to chase down a suspect, it will always adjust to end at Point A with a hostage. This is another negative against the game. For the long time in development, the story is incredibly disappointing.

Gameplay - First off, the signature Rockstar controls of holding a button to sprint was a bad decision. Second, after an initial playthrough, all cut scenes should be skippable. Unfortunately this is not the case and what was already repetitive becomes agonizing on any replay. The street crimes are similar in fashion in that they are all virtually the same. The collectibles add replay value but in the end can only do so much.

Graphics - While I'm sure many will disagree, especially those on the other console, the facial animations are the only truly impressive graphical aspect of this game. The rest are no better than Red Dead Redemption, from the weather effects, to the way the characters walk to the overall environment. That being said, there are some colorful and nice aspects of the open world but they are not groundbreaking in the slightest manner, just aesthetically pleasing.

The game certainly has its flaws, but it does have appealing and enjoying aspects to it. It certainly deserves a play if you are into it but by no means does it deserve a purchase. What brings the game down the most is the combination of a repetitive gameplay aspect that discourages replay and a story that falls flat on its own face halfway through. Team Bondi had a good idea, but for the time they spent, they needed more variety in the gameplay and a better story. Instead we got a mediocre game with incredible faces. I prefer the former. Many media outlets praise the game, and while some do, it seems to be a hype effect more than anything else. The gameplay here isn't groundbreaking nor is the fact that it is an interactive narrative. These have been done before, and arguably better. The groundbreaking aspect here is the motion scan technology for the facial animations. However, this requires hours of an actor's time to put in and is an incredibly inefficient and costly way of animating faces. Personally, I feel it is not worth the time, especially since the bodies in comparison feel a bit robotic and look too different.
  38. May 31, 2011
    Great graphics, boring game play. Here's the game in a nut shell: Get new case, investigate crime scene, question people, follow leads, question more people, fin the culprit, chase, kill. Rinse and repeat.
  39. May 17, 2011
    This is the next level for video game graphics. Hopefully this style becomes the standard for future games. Fun, thought provoking, and entertaining. Everything a great game should be.
  40. May 17, 2011
    The most beautifully crafted game since Heavy Rain, an immediate Game of the Year contender and the most ambitious title Rockstar have ever produced. So far this year it is equal only to Portal 2 in terms of ground-breaking game mechanics and it's sheer brilliance.
  41. May 17, 2011
    This game is the best game made in a long time it is not like the same old shooters that drown the gaming industry with repetitiveness and and no uniqueness. This is a leap forward for man kind and a step backwards for brain dead individuals.
  42. May 17, 2011
    Starting from now, we have a new generation of cinematic & detective games. L.A. Noire is not a game for everyone, it's true. In some ways, this is a weird game for Rockstar & their fans, but it's a genuine masterpiece. Viva, Rockstar and Team Bondi, well done!
  43. May 18, 2011
    This is one of many games that appears to be one thing before its released, then turns out to be something else once you play it. A lot of time and effort went into the mechanics for realistic facial expressions. In my opinion, its what really holds this game together. This is the most linear, sandbox game out there. There isn't much reason to explore. That doesn't mean it is a bad game.This is one of many games that appears to be one thing before its released, then turns out to be something else once you play it. A lot of time and effort went into the mechanics for realistic facial expressions. In my opinion, its what really holds this game together. This is the most linear, sandbox game out there. There isn't much reason to explore. That doesn't mean it is a bad game. It just means the Story needs to be THAT much better. What this game does do is put you into the mind of a detective, and it does it well. This game is very original and fresh. It is a nice change in pace and I think you should give it a shot. Expand
  44. May 19, 2011
    Not the greatest game ever, but a revolution in story telling and graphical engineering in video games. Sure, it's not GTA, but it's not trying to be. Rockstar has gone with a much more linear storyline than GTA. The game isn't perfect, but really, what game is? This game stands on it's own merits. Who cares that there's no online mode? This game wasn't made for online. L.A. Noire wasn'tNot the greatest game ever, but a revolution in story telling and graphical engineering in video games. Sure, it's not GTA, but it's not trying to be. Rockstar has gone with a much more linear storyline than GTA. The game isn't perfect, but really, what game is? This game stands on it's own merits. Who cares that there's no online mode? This game wasn't made for online. L.A. Noire wasn't made for your average gaming crowd. It wasn't made for everybody. It was made for those who would appreciate it. Expand
  45. Aug 16, 2011
    BORING!!!

Wow. I can't believe that this game isn't getting trashed a lot worse than it is. I don't mind slow paced games but there is no excitement in this game at all. It's way too easy and there don't seem to be any consequences if you make a mistake. What a waste of a weekend this was...
  46. May 17, 2011
    There are allot of brain dead gamers as to give this game a zero is absurd. Even if you do not like the game how could you rate this game a zero when it does so much that other games have never done before. This shows that the gaming industry still has some low IQ players who just like the same shooter games with different names. This is a leap in the right direction for gamers.
  47. May 17, 2011
    I love this game because it is very different than other games. Even though it is not a perfect game I am given a 10 to counter the absurd scores of zero given by a couple of people. Even though some people might find this game boring it does not merit a zero as the graphics and innovation that the game brings alone should score this game a 4 at least. It is quite shocking that someI love this game because it is very different than other games. Even though it is not a perfect game I am given a 10 to counter the absurd scores of zero given by a couple of people. Even though some people might find this game boring it does not merit a zero as the graphics and innovation that the game brings alone should score this game a 4 at least. It is quite shocking that some people can score a game a zero and plain dumb. Expand
  48. May 18, 2011
    Very good game, the city is awesome and I´ve just played a few cases but there are so engaged, the art, faces and cars look so realistic. I think rockstar will change the manner to make games
  49. May 22, 2011
    There seems to be a pretty large split between gamers when it comes to what they think of the game. I gave the game a pretty low review in comparison to many others which would put me on the negative side of the fence. I noticed someone posted a comment stating anyone who gave a poor review didn't know what they were talking about, in the same comment he stated that the many outcomes ofThere seems to be a pretty large split between gamers when it comes to what they think of the game. I gave the game a pretty low review in comparison to many others which would put me on the negative side of the fence. I noticed someone posted a comment stating anyone who gave a poor review didn't know what they were talking about, in the same comment he stated that the many outcomes of the investigation was fascinating which, of course, is wrong because there is always only one outcome to the investigation: either you convict the guy, or someone else does.

The pros to this game: The facial recognition is very impressive!

The vehicle handling is better than in GTAIV

Interesting plot and good acting

Well researched and feels like an authentic 40's experience

Cons of this game:

Absolutely zero return value after you've finished the game (15-20 hours worth)

Irritating lag between opening the note book and selecting items from the notebook

Flawed Map directions (You have to literally find out where you're going or ask your partner for help)

You cannot buy weapons, clothes, cars or houses (This is what really disappointed me). You're supposed to feel fully engaged with the character but there is absolutely zero personalisation of the character. You have a selection of five outfits and if you don't like them then tough. Red Dead had about 15 outfits.

Interrogating suspects can be vague (by this I mean you doubt someone for your own ideas only to have them dismissed by the character your play and therefore fail the interview)

Very very linear storyline. In the Black Dahlia murders I had the temp barman pegged for it from the first murder, he was even mentioned twice by a barman in one of the other murders but the character brushed past questioning him further on the matter.

The Newspaper's "Behind the scenes" articles can confuse more than they enlighten. I made the mistake of being too sure while questioning a suspect after watching one of the stories that tells you flat out that he's guilty (Ad Vice case).

There is no real shooting in this game. Many people demonize other gamers for calling this a flaw, stating that they're unintelligent violence addicts and that there are other games to buy for mindless violence but I think they're missing the whole point of action in an action adventure game. By that I mean there is no real action. The shooting camera is also difficult and clumsy. In the human shield situations I first shot them in their pistol hands (it worked in Red Dead!) only for them to clutch their stomach and kill the hostage.

What I really don't understand is that in GTAIV and Red Dead there are plenty of crimes that you can stop. They appear randomly and provide some sort of rewarding experience for your troubles. In L.A. Noire, a police game, you can only stop 40 crimes and that is the end of it.

Finally, there is no multiplayer or online game play. In this day in age this is a huge let down. Of course you can ask, what would multiplayer entail? For start there could be online cases added every few months that can be cracked by you and a partner, there could be a "Cops and Robbers" type shoot out game or even better would be a sort of sandbox type Criminals try to commit crimes and Cops try to stop them sort of thing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall I found this game very disappointing. I expected so much and got so little. This title has been in the works for 5 years and they've done nothing that hasn't been done better somewhere else. Red Dead Redemption actually holds up as a better crime fighter type game. Although the creators thought that immersing the player into the plot would make them feel more engaged with the title, it made me more distant. There's no point driving anywhere because all you do is cause damage to your car. For all the people who condemn the bad reviews, try and remember that it's a Playstation 3 game that we're talking about. There needs to be a certain amount of control and action to make it an enjoyable game. Most of the time this game just felt like work.
  50. Jul 22, 2011
    CHOO CHOO! Everybody aboard the hype train! I must admit, the hype got me to buy it, but after completing this game.....I feel pretty ripped off.

The choo choo doesn't stop at the hype station. Nosiree bob. This game is barely a game at all - it's a movie with some small player-controlled segments that have zero impact on the direction the game ends. Zero. I couldn't get back to GTA 4

I couldn't get back to GTA 4 quickly enough.
  51. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before playing LA Noire I was unsure if Rockstar could live up to its previous titles such as Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto 4. However, I'm pleased to report that they have once again created a, very, very good game. Solving the crime cases in LA Noire is alot of fun and an engrossing experience. Finding the clues needed to solve the case felt challenging but it was never frustrating. Conducting interviews was very fun and there were obvious consequences for choosing the right and wrong dialogue options. In fact, I have never had so much talking to characters in a videogame. This is due to a mixture of Team Bondi's stellar new visual technology and very clever diolauge.

LA Noire has lots of side cases, and collectibles that help to flesh out an atmosphere allready made vivid by detailed buildings,and a wonderful music score.

LA Noire felt very reminiscent of classic film noir such as Chinatown and is all the better for it. I have thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it so far. I recommend LA Noire to everyone but Transformer fans.
  52. Jun 12, 2011
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! A revolution in gaming?? A revolution in tedium. This is without doubt one of the most boring games I have played. The first crime you solve is almost interesting. If you like walking about a room and waiting for the controller to vibrate then this may be the game for you! This game is so samey- Basically- you drive to the crime scene, then move the controllerDO NOT BUY THIS GAME! A revolution in gaming?? A revolution in tedium. This is without doubt one of the most boring games I have played. The first crime you solve is almost interesting. If you like walking about a room and waiting for the controller to vibrate then this may be the game for you! This game is so samey- Basically- you drive to the crime scene, then move the controller about until it vibrates- Hey presto, you've found a clue! Now imagine doing this for every crime scene that you're sent to. It does not bear thinking unless you have some kind of OCD. Granted the cut scenes have great animation and this may be the games only saving grace- but the story they tell is uninteresting and un-engaging. Until the gaming industry gets good story writers and I mean Wireesque writers, then all this facial animation may as we be etch a sketch.

Luckily for you I have bit the bullet and tried this game for you, let no other man buy this game and the world will be a happier place. Guaranteed.

By the way anybody want to buy a copy of L.A Noire?
  53. May 17, 2011
    This game is suffering the "portal 2" effect, where morons are lying about the game and **** that it's a full game for full game price. Let's start off by saying that this game has one real flaw: The controls. It's easy to get over, however. Beyond that we have Hollywood level voice acting and script (quality Hollywood anyway), competent (but not stunning, save for the facial animations)This game is suffering the "portal 2" effect, where morons are lying about the game and **** that it's a full game for full game price. Let's start off by saying that this game has one real flaw: The controls. It's easy to get over, however. Beyond that we have Hollywood level voice acting and script (quality Hollywood anyway), competent (but not stunning, save for the facial animations) graphics, an interesting story, and a satisfying interrogation system that relies on YOU the player. Expand
  54. May 17, 2011
    This game is Great!!! This games has cars, races, guns, chases, but it is not only about this. It is about using your brain. If you like just shooting and crashing everything you see, this is not for you, here you need to think. Graphics is very good, facial animation is AMAZING!
  55. May 17, 2011
    What a stunning achievement for gaming. When people tak about games as art this is the sort of thing they'll point to. Easily the most immersive experience I've had with a videogam. Bondi and Rockstar did a wonderful job at crafting the investigative elements into something addicting and surprisingly intelligent. And there's of course the revolutionary facial animation tech. The ability toWhat a stunning achievement for gaming. When people tak about games as art this is the sort of thing they'll point to. Easily the most immersive experience I've had with a videogam. Bondi and Rockstar did a wonderful job at crafting the investigative elements into something addicting and surprisingly intelligent. And there's of course the revolutionary facial animation tech. The ability to capture an actor's true performance gives the game's story and characters an incredible amount of believability and emotional weight.

If you consider yourself at all a fan of the art of good storytelling then it'd be a complete disservice to not play this game.
  56. May 23, 2011
    L.A. Noire could have been a wonderful game, but this game does so much wrong that it's hard to enjoy myself. The whole game feels like a waste of time, considering that I've yet to have any fun while playing it. The interview system is terrible and doesn't add much other than a frustrating mini-game. I wanted the crime-solving aspect of this game to be engaging and interesting, but itL.A. Noire could have been a wonderful game, but this game does so much wrong that it's hard to enjoy myself. The whole game feels like a waste of time, considering that I've yet to have any fun while playing it. The interview system is terrible and doesn't add much other than a frustrating mini-game. I wanted the crime-solving aspect of this game to be engaging and interesting, but it just falls flat. I played interactive movies back on the Sega CD, and they weren't any good then either. Rockstar is officially on my 'Rent before Buying' list thanks to L.A. Noire. I wish I could get a refund on this game!!! Expand
  57. May 17, 2011
    As a longtime fan of the old Police Quest series back on PC years ago, I anxiously awaited L.A. Noire. So, what is L.A. Noire? Simply put, it's a beautiful, story driven, game that involves investigating and some action sequences. The real nitty-gritty behind L.A. Noire is the open world investigations, not the action like the GTA series or even Red Dead Redemption. The problem, however,As a longtime fan of the old Police Quest series back on PC years ago, I anxiously awaited L.A. Noire. So, what is L.A. Noire? Simply put, it's a beautiful, story driven, game that involves investigating and some action sequences. The real nitty-gritty behind L.A. Noire is the open world investigations, not the action like the GTA series or even Red Dead Redemption. The problem, however, is that none of these traits are particularly new. Many games this generation are beautifully crafted and rendered and have well fleshed out stories. The investigation aspect of the game, while novel, isn't new either, as I previously alluded to; Anyone who remembers the old Police Quest series on PC years ago will immediately know how to play L.A. Noire, if not feel like it's a knockoff. --- L.A. Noire is a lot like a person you think is hot and want to get to know, only to find out when you get to know them that there's little long term substance. The game itself is terribly short, with very few side quests to speak of. There's zero replay value to it because once you've finished the story, well, you've finished the story. There's no way to go about completing the story a different way for a different result, a la Heavy Rain or even Fable 2 or Fable 3. Once you've finished the game, all there is to do is find newspapers, cars and locations, which barely qualifies as legitimate replay value. The fighting, shooting and driving sequences are, for all intents and purposes, directly copied from the GTA franchise/engine. I remember hearing people complain that Red Dead Redemption, compared to the GTA franchise, was too short and I can't imagine those folks will be happy, at all, with L.A. Noire which is substantially shorter than either. Essentially, the game consists of: follow the path, investigate (which is made trivial by audio and controller queues), interrogate and repeat along a fairly linear path until the game ends. --- In short, it's worth a play, but I really don't believe it's worth $60 because after you've finished it, you're not going to touch it again unless VERY compelling, decent-length DLC comes out for it. I would strongly encourage people to rent it first before deciding to put down $60 on a game you MAY get 10-12 hours on and then not touch again. I give them a 3/5 (6/10) for effort, but as far as games go, this one simply doesn't live up to its own hype, and will ultimately be forgotten about within a month after everyone has beaten it and has no reason to pick it up again. Expand
  58. May 19, 2011
    There's no doubt that visually this game is lovely, and that the subject material and basic storyline ideas are different and interesting. The problem comes with the actual gameplay, which is long-winded, repetitive and rather dull after the first couple of levels. These are some of my issues with LA Noire;
    1. the character movement is clunky and cumbersome, and often you have to keep
    1. the character movement is clunky and cumbersome, and often you have to keep moving the character backwards and forwards just trying to get into the right position to investigate a clue.
    2. there's a huge amount of lag between pressing buttons in certain investigation modes, and the character actually responding.
    3. you're supposed to interrogate suspects, basing your responses on their facial expressions, but these swing from being laughably obvious and silly to inscrutably stoney-faced, with no real middle-ground.

The final straw for me is the completely linear gameplay, whereby even if you don't get everything you need from a suspect the plot takes you on another route to the same conclusion. There's no real option for failure, or experimentation. At least, not based on my six hours of playing so far.

LA Noire has received a huge amount of positive reviews, but I think it's one of those games that will split the audience down the middle. Overall I found myself enjoying the look of the game, but not really caring about the characters, and sadly not wanting to play anymore. I'll be trading it in straight away.
  59. May 18, 2011
    Really a breath of fresh air. The shooting and driving is a lot like GTA 4 but the remaining gameplay is amazingly intricate. When I first saw this game I though it would be gimmicky but it turned out to be exactly what it promised and that is a legitimate detective game that isn't as boring as watching paint dry. Also it must be noted that, although not at all a part of gameplay directly,Really a breath of fresh air. The shooting and driving is a lot like GTA 4 but the remaining gameplay is amazingly intricate. When I first saw this game I though it would be gimmicky but it turned out to be exactly what it promised and that is a legitimate detective game that isn't as boring as watching paint dry. Also it must be noted that, although not at all a part of gameplay directly, the voice acting is unparalleled. It's not something I thought I would care about but seriously there are moments in the game where I literally feel like I am playing an interactive movie which is really what this game is. Expand
  60. May 17, 2011
    Hate all you want but i thoroughly enjoyed this game. If you are looking for a brainless walk around and shoot stuff game then go play COD. This game is like if Heavy Rain and GTA had a child then that child was adopted and raised by John Alton and Michael Curtiz (and if you are too young or socially inept to get that reference then go play a nice lego game) Overall, its an amazingHate all you want but i thoroughly enjoyed this game. If you are looking for a brainless walk around and shoot stuff game then go play COD. This game is like if Heavy Rain and GTA had a child then that child was adopted and raised by John Alton and Michael Curtiz (and if you are too young or socially inept to get that reference then go play a nice lego game) Overall, its an amazing experience. Worth all of my $60. If you have the time, patience and mental capacity to comprehend that its about being a DETECTIVE then its well worth yours as well!. Expand
  61. May 17, 2011
    Thank you Team Bondi. Thank you. Seriously. Thank you for realizing that some of us out there want more. That we've shot enough people in the head, captured enough flags, and performed more than our fair share of super combos that this industry is long overdue for something new. Something new is precisely what comes to mind when I think of this game. I'm 14 hours in and not once have IThank you Team Bondi. Thank you. Seriously. Thank you for realizing that some of us out there want more. That we've shot enough people in the head, captured enough flags, and performed more than our fair share of super combos that this industry is long overdue for something new. Something new is precisely what comes to mind when I think of this game. I'm 14 hours in and not once have I been able to directly relate this to other games I've played. It's just so damn unique. The closest thing would probably be old school adventure games, but even those are left in the dust by L.A. Noire. I don't really know where to even begin. I could talk about the downright gripping narrative, the unmatched facial technology, the palpable atmosphere, the vibrantly recreated and supremely beautiful city of Los Angeles or the thrilling investigative elements. Maybe it sounds crazy, but yeah, finding clues and interrogating witnesses? Actually a hell of a lot of fun. Especially those interrogations. I seriously did not think they were going to be able to pull it off. That "talking" to someone would actually end up being interesting. Now that I have the full thing it's my favourite part of the game! The mechanics are great, but what really tops it off is the technology. The way L.A. Noire is able to capture an actor's performance makes it feel like you're actually engaging in a conversation with a real person, instead of all the lifeless, dead-eyed video game characters of the past. You truly have to read their faces and find out whether or not they're simply scared, or hiding an ocean of guilt. I could go on and on in similar fashion for just about every facet of the game, but I unfortunately don't have the space here. To sum it up, this is truly a new frontier for interactive storytelling. I feel lucky to be witnessing it firsthand and I can only hope that other developers take notice and will similarly strive to push the medium forward the way Bondi and Rockstar have. An absolutely spectacular achievement that feel lucky to be able to experience. Expand
  62. May 17, 2011
    One of the best games I have experienced in a long time. Gaming is heading in the right direction. Game is one of the best titles made all year, this is a game for puzzle solvers not shooters.
  63. May 17, 2011
    I love this game but it does have flaws like no multiplayer which would of made the game more fun once you where done with it. There is allot that they could have added but overall im really happy with the game.
  64. Sep 27, 2011
    Team Bondi took a huge risk making this game, it really is unlike anything else on the market. And for the most part, what's good is REALLY good, such as the story, motion captured game models, graphics, and dialogue. I mean, it's very rare that you get a story written this well in any type of video game, and that's gotta be what they worked on the most. But at the same time, there's soTeam Bondi took a huge risk making this game, it really is unlike anything else on the market. And for the most part, what's good is REALLY good, such as the story, motion captured game models, graphics, and dialogue. I mean, it's very rare that you get a story written this well in any type of video game, and that's gotta be what they worked on the most. But at the same time, there's so much wrong with the game that I can't really recommend it. Some of the vocal performances are perfect, but others are so bad that I actually caught myself laughing a little. The cover mechanic is clunky to say the least, and the controls can lag severely at times. The driving segments of the game are torturous, just another reason why this game shouldn't have been open-world. Cars either don't turn much or flip a 180 by barely turning the wheel. Unlike the GTA games or Red Dead Redemption, you're forced to be the good guy, making it impossible to go on rampages. Many obstacles are made unbreakable, such as picket and chain-link fences and shrubberies (while street lights remain delicate, easily breakable towers of glass), making chases groan worthy and driving sections uninteresting. Hell, you can't even draw your gun unless the game says so. And that's another thing, this game has no freedom, despite being an sandbox game. There's next-to-nothing to do when not on mission aside from sight seeing, there's little replayability considering each case only has one-solution (even if you fail). Too bad, the game could have had lot's of options if you could take the cruel police route a la Bad Lieutenant. The games ending leaves much to be desired, and overall, I had a lot of frustrations with the game. That said, L.A. Noire was a great idea that simply didn't live up to the hype. Was it bad? No, and I hope it does well. Maybe another developer can give the noire genre the game it truly deserves. Expand
  65. May 27, 2011
    This is not an open world game. It has open world elements but since every single one of them can be skipped or failed a couple of times before the game can skip them for you i can't see what is the purpose of them being there at all. I played 4-5 missions and i love the way that you have to base your reactions on the face-sync and basically the acting of the P.O.I.'s. Its the singleThis is not an open world game. It has open world elements but since every single one of them can be skipped or failed a couple of times before the game can skip them for you i can't see what is the purpose of them being there at all. I played 4-5 missions and i love the way that you have to base your reactions on the face-sync and basically the acting of the P.O.I.'s. Its the single fresh and truly great thing about this game. And that is why i gave it a 5. Everything else is just. Not present. You see a video of your character in boot camp for WWII and then you get a mission. And then you can tell your partner to drive you there. Oops no open world for you.
    And then the victim is dead and uncooperative, the perps (because if a single person in the 40's new what a P.O.I. is i will self immolate) are trying to **** with you and that is about it. Go solve a case, see video of boot camp, solve case etc. I hope it gets better because i just might forget about getting the driver treatment and going for the mission and just drive around town. As long as i don't kill anyone and i don't bust up the town... What is the point of driving around in a game if you are supposed to obey speed limits and not crushing cars. And that is why i didn't give the game more than 5.
  66. Jun 9, 2011
    This another game that falls into the "I wanted to like it more than I actually did" category for me. It's barely a "game" in the modern sense, being a lot closer to an oldschool point and click adventure, than a modern sandbox style game. Sure, there is the pretense of an open world there, there's just no substance to back that vision up. An entire city of nothing to do. The gameThis another game that falls into the "I wanted to like it more than I actually did" category for me. It's barely a "game" in the modern sense, being a lot closer to an oldschool point and click adventure, than a modern sandbox style game. Sure, there is the pretense of an open world there, there's just no substance to back that vision up. An entire city of nothing to do. The game shoehorning you down the specififc Case corridors with little variety or replay value. And that is this games biggest problem: there is very little wiggle room during the Cases with everything ending up tucked away nicely by the end REGARDLESS of how well you did. The facial animations are groundbreaking, sure, but run the gamut from completely obvious to frustatingly obscured. A neat offering that will hopefully be better implemented in the future. Once the novelty wears off the game is back to being a debilitatingly repetitve GTA clone. Sometimes, the game mechanics they've just taught you to use are arbitrarily turned off so that you can be forced to follow through to the developers desired outcome. There are chase sequences where sometimes you can pull your gun and fire into the air, when the game wants you to, and sequences where you push the button to implement the shoot in the air mechanic, and nothing happens... forcing you to catch the person fleeing in the game the way the game needs... forcing you to attempt to push the buttons during every chase to see if this chase is one where they intend to have you stop them by shooting the gun in the air, or, not have the button action responded to, and wait to see what qte comes up. That, to me, is shiite gameplay. Calling this a game feels a little off. It's about as much a game as the latest Quantic Dream offering. Feeling much closer to a interactive movie than a actual game. I don't know... what can I say? It's worth renting... that's about it. Expand
  67. Jun 14, 2011
    LA Noire is a game that lures you in with its technology and promise of a good narrative but then becomes a tightly coiled pile on the front lawn. The game revolves, for the most part, around Cole Phelps, a returning war hero and one heck of a stand up guy. The narrative is broken up into five different sections where you work way up thru the ranks and different crime desks (traffic,LA Noire is a game that lures you in with its technology and promise of a good narrative but then becomes a tightly coiled pile on the front lawn. The game revolves, for the most part, around Cole Phelps, a returning war hero and one heck of a stand up guy. The narrative is broken up into five different sections where you work way up thru the ranks and different crime desks (traffic, homicide, vice and arson). The game opens with Cole as a beat cop and this where you learn the mechanics of the game i.e searching for clues, interrogating suspects and using your weapon. This is where the fun ends and the tedium kicks in. The formula for this game is very simple, somewhere in the city of Los Angles a crime has been committed and you must go investigate the scene, collect clues, interrogate suspects drive to a new location, investigate scene, collect clues, interrogate suspectsâ Expand
  68. Jun 11, 2011
    Once you get part way through the 2nd desk, you've seen all this game has to offer. Setups for searching homes, chasing criminals and crime scenes are recycled with very little variation outside of the story. The faces usually look good, but considering they're plastered on below par bodies, it becomes more distracting than engrossing. The world is accurate but largely dead, there's nextOnce you get part way through the 2nd desk, you've seen all this game has to offer. Setups for searching homes, chasing criminals and crime scenes are recycled with very little variation outside of the story. The faces usually look good, but considering they're plastered on below par bodies, it becomes more distracting than engrossing. The world is accurate but largely dead, there's next to no point for the open world. The behavior of characters often makes little sense. I'd rather play Police Quest than this sad excuse for a game. Expand
  69. Aug 7, 2011
    3 out of 10. Persevered with this very weekend for a few weeks. Points for: motion capture (gets 3 points as it kept me at it for longer than otherwise). Points against: Writing and subplot. For a game that relies heavily on interrogation mechanics to keep the game engaging - theirs no consequence for poor choices. For this type of game to work, it needs to have REAL consequences for your3 out of 10. Persevered with this very weekend for a few weeks. Points for: motion capture (gets 3 points as it kept me at it for longer than otherwise). Points against: Writing and subplot. For a game that relies heavily on interrogation mechanics to keep the game engaging - theirs no consequence for poor choices. For this type of game to work, it needs to have REAL consequences for your actions.

Wanted to love this game but alas it's time to head to EB games and pre order Uncharted.
  70. May 18, 2011
    LA Noire is simply put, the game we didn't even know we wanted. It is revolutionary in so many areas, from the MotionScan tech to the way you interact with the game. Mess something up, you are going to spend longer trying to get the facts straight. This is an outstanding game of logic and ingenuity with the Rockstar charm added to it. I credit Rockstar with crafting a new path, andLA Noire is simply put, the game we didn't even know we wanted. It is revolutionary in so many areas, from the MotionScan tech to the way you interact with the game. Mess something up, you are going to spend longer trying to get the facts straight. This is an outstanding game of logic and ingenuity with the Rockstar charm added to it. I credit Rockstar with crafting a new path, and getting a lot of it right. Additionally, I credit Rockstar for not ruining details of building like in GTA4 to save memory. The whole 1947 Los Angeles is amazing. Do note, this is no GTA, you can't just decide to go bad cop on the world, if you can accept that and don't mind using your brain, LA Noire is a game for you. Highly recommend it. Expand
  71. Jan 8, 2012
    i am in love with this game and i cant stop playing it. i honestly cant think of anything bad to say about the game yes it is linear but so are alot of other great games and you would think going over a crime scene to try and find clues would get boring well it doesnt you always feel a sense of accomplishment when ever you piece together a crime and arrest the offender and the game alsoi am in love with this game and i cant stop playing it. i honestly cant think of anything bad to say about the game yes it is linear but so are alot of other great games and you would think going over a crime scene to try and find clues would get boring well it doesnt you always feel a sense of accomplishment when ever you piece together a crime and arrest the offender and the game also has a great story that i got sucked into and it kept me wanting to play so i can find out what happens next. this game may not be for everyone since there isnt shooting or car chases every 5 seconds for those that have the atention span of a 5 year old but this game is defenatly worth a try and must be experianced Expand
  72. Jun 20, 2011
    Boring thy name is LA Noire... The tech behind the game is awesome, The game world looks great. Some of the cases are great but overall i am having a hard time finishing this game as i can only stomach having to investigate the same case ie: the case of the generic dead girl so many times. it gets hard to stay invested in game once you become aware of how limited you are by the games setupBoring thy name is LA Noire... The tech behind the game is awesome, The game world looks great. Some of the cases are great but overall i am having a hard time finishing this game as i can only stomach having to investigate the same case ie: the case of the generic dead girl so many times. it gets hard to stay invested in game once you become aware of how limited you are by the games setup of the serial killer motif.. oh look we are going to put away another innocent man but its OK its all building up to finding the real killer.. it all begins to feel a bit pointless really. I want to love this game but i just cant Expand
  73. May 19, 2011
    The positives outweigh the negatives in this game. Definitely worth playing!

Although I do agree with most critics saying that Phoenix wright and Police quest were more challenging than L.A. N. as this game is relatively easy, I still am having a great time playing it And let's be fair, the last successful detective game to have come out was 20 years ago! The atmosphere is superb,
    The positives outweigh the negatives in this game. Definitely worth playing!

The atmosphere is superb, and the facial animation is really exciting and fresh. The environment, as mentioned before, isn't graphically up to the level of Mafia II & co. but I really like the little details the studios thought of (such as the breaking of shop windows when crashing your car) and the interesting mini-events that occur during pursuits (a garbage truck sometimes park right in front of me before I get a clean shot on my fleeing criminal etc...)

The notepad idea is brilliant, works great and keeps you in the game. The art work in it is great, I love the pencil sketches and how you set your destination on the map etc. The music is wonderful, the start screen features a full 6 minute tune with 2 solos.

The interrogations are hard (which is good!) and the clues are well hidden but still very easy to find (which is kinda too bad). I still wish they had polluted the crime scenes with more useless objects to put you off course on occasions. It would have been nice if R* had been more than just producers and put more money in this game to liven up the environment and put more side missions as the game does seem very short. Over all, if you follow the pace of the game, get a nice glass of Jack and smoke a cigar, you will most definitely enjoy this game, and its great music!
    R* have an eye for a great concept and I applaud them for finding the Australian studio that was working on this gem. Hopefully the success of this game will produce a sequel graphically capable of impressing young teenagers as well as us Parents.

Can't wait for the DLC chapters to come out! Keep 'em rolling boys!
  74. May 22, 2011
    The review under green don't like videogames anymore, don't like inovations anymore. L.A. Noire is the best game of the year and Rockstar proved that sandbox is a kind of game that you can enjoy FOREVER.
  75. May 24, 2011
    Beautifully recreated world. The textures and style are amazing and the sound design is incredible. I suspect this game will get people playing it that never gamed before. I'm pretty sure my 64 year old Dad would get into this because of the historical accuracy of the buildings and cars, not to mention all the subtle flavors of the time creeping in through overheard conversations and radioBeautifully recreated world. The textures and style are amazing and the sound design is incredible. I suspect this game will get people playing it that never gamed before. I'm pretty sure my 64 year old Dad would get into this because of the historical accuracy of the buildings and cars, not to mention all the subtle flavors of the time creeping in through overheard conversations and radio programs. The window displays and billboards are great too. I've heard some people complain that this game isn't action-packed enough...well, you're entitled to your opinion, but I haven't been bored for a second. I'm constantly in awe of this game. Maybe not the best game for little kids that just want to get head-shots over and over. Expand
  76. May 26, 2011
    The game is enjoyable and the new way to play video games. The cases are fun and some remind me of things from movies like LA Confidental. The cases are sometimes straightforward but you have some choice in how you solve them.....All in all it's a great game to kick off the summer and lead us into all the fun that will be arriving later....
  77. Jun 17, 2011
    Played and got bored after awhile. Cole has no personality and seems like he is a straight forward cop which is alright but its like he goes through the game with blinders on and isn't aware of what is going around or care
  78. dz9
    Aug 1, 2011
    The Good: Great graphics, and a few cool innovative ideas. The Bad: Irrelevant side quests, outrageous map, bland world, uninteresting combat, repetitive mechanics, disengaging story, and overall...boring. Yes yes yes... the new face tracking is awesome, the way you investigate crimes is neat, and presentation is through the roof. But you can't help but compare this title to GTA, butThe Good: Great graphics, and a few cool innovative ideas. The Bad: Irrelevant side quests, outrageous map, bland world, uninteresting combat, repetitive mechanics, disengaging story, and overall...boring. Yes yes yes... the new face tracking is awesome, the way you investigate crimes is neat, and presentation is through the roof. But you can't help but compare this title to GTA, but in reviewing it, it may be easier to (believe me, i know this game isn't GTA). Imagine in GTA, you have that huge map of stores, missions, cops to kill, buildings to blow up, and mayhem to cause. Now imagine your playing L.A Noire, and it still has the huge map but only thing in it is side missions. Side missions? May be fun...Right? WRONG!! They're repetitive and unimportant, and they represent everything that is wrong with this game...it's simply is just bland and repetitive. One may argue, "but what of the collectibles and hidden cars." And I would respond, "why should I care enough to go look for them." Collectibles are pointless, and after each cutscene, you lose your shiny new car, so whats the point of getting it in the first place. Onto the combat, let's face it, shooting alone... GTA is not the best out there, if you've played GTA, the shooting mechanic is the same in this title... but no ammo, hard to keep the guns you've obtained, and the shooting sequences feel more like a disruption rather than a breath taking experience. The investigations are sort of cool, but like everything else, get repetitive. The hypes for this game was that the new face detection would play an important strategic role in the investigation mechanic. However, it does not.. every person in the game (even the ones who are telling the truth) show signs of lying, and this "important strategic role" holds no weight. Another huge flaw in the game, is the linear feel. If you have played immersive games like Heavy Rain, you understand why this game is so linear. You could be a complete idiot, skip all the cutscenes and have no idea whats going on... just tap some buttons, if you get them wrong... the game will just set you up at a checkpoint right before the investigation so you can keep being an idiot. If you are a person who plays this and tries to immersive themselves in the boring story and wants to be strategic to try out their detective skill, you will be rewarded just as much as the idiot who just taps "X" the whole way through... you may "gain a level," but "gaining a level" means nothing in this game, due to the lack of reward. This game is exactly how South Park put it, "What's so fun about running around, watching people talk and tapping the A button" Expand
  79. Jun 14, 2011
    This game plays like a combination of Phoenix Wright and GTA which is a very very good thing. The stories grip you and the gameplay is very smooth. The main story has one ending but each "case" you do has several. So you get to influence the game and experience a thrilling story line that only Heavy Rain has matched so far. While it starts out easy don't be fooled because it gets reallyThis game plays like a combination of Phoenix Wright and GTA which is a very very good thing. The stories grip you and the gameplay is very smooth. The main story has one ending but each "case" you do has several. So you get to influence the game and experience a thrilling story line that only Heavy Rain has matched so far. While it starts out easy don't be fooled because it gets really hard really fast so be on your guard. My only complaint is that the gunplay feels a little stiff but gunplay is practically a mini game when compared to the rest of the game. It is something every game should at least try because most important it is unique... there is no other game out there like this. Expand
  80. May 27, 2011
    This genre of mystery solving peaked in the 1980's, and for people expecting a typical Rockstar "anything you can think of goes" approach, you will be disappointed. The role you play in the game is that of a Police officer- which means that by and large you don't run people over, you don't jack cars, and you don't carelessly fire your weapon for the sake of playing "what if". For manyThis genre of mystery solving peaked in the 1980's, and for people expecting a typical Rockstar "anything you can think of goes" approach, you will be disappointed. The role you play in the game is that of a Police officer- which means that by and large you don't run people over, you don't jack cars, and you don't carelessly fire your weapon for the sake of playing "what if". For many people who are conditioned for instant gratification or ignorance to the storyline via what has become a typical game, this is not going to be an enjoyable game for you. It is a game you sip, not gulp, in terms of game time and activity. There are several reviews that claim you can only play this game one way- this is patently false as I have already found more than 3 outcomes in the case that results in your first interrogation experience. In terms of correct outcomes, I think it mimics life quite well. You attempt to use what you know to form intuition, ideas, focus and outcomes- and you get it wrong as often as you get it right. I also appreciate the value of the actors and their voice work. The beauty of matched pitch with visual expression is just phenomenal. Call this the next stage, or the first stage of the next stage in realism for gaming. The last time a police game was this engaging was Sierra's Police Quest / SWAT series, so I applaud the appeal of this game. I have been telling friends for the last 2 years that the world needs an engaging game based on Justice and this delivers on several levels. I'm half way through the game, would I play the first half again knowing the outcomes? Yes- the fact that I have discovered you can capture fleeing suspects in multiple ways is interesting in itself and it makes me wonder what other nuggets there could be. I also would be interested to see expansions for this game- the dynamics of the game could very well go in so many directions. Expand
  81. Jun 17, 2011
    L.A. Noire is simply not fun. The primary gameplay mechanic, interrogation, is confusing and frustrating. Most of the time I found myself just guessing whether the person was lying or not instead of working it out through logic and tells. In a lot of the sequences you have to call a person on a lie, but you don't know what you're accusing them of until you say they're lying and then backL.A. Noire is simply not fun. The primary gameplay mechanic, interrogation, is confusing and frustrating. Most of the time I found myself just guessing whether the person was lying or not instead of working it out through logic and tells. In a lot of the sequences you have to call a person on a lie, but you don't know what you're accusing them of until you say they're lying and then back down. The other primary mechanic is the crime scene investigation, which involves walking around an area until your controller shakes, and that's it. While this prevents annoying "pixel hunting", it also prevents the player from having to figure things out for themselves. Most of the rest of the game is just plain bad. The driving is unresponsive and annoying with civilian cars often stopping in the middle of the road for no reason and pedestrians crossing wherever they feel like. The confusing map didn't help- for some reason there are giant letters on the minimap which prevent me from seeing upcoming streets, and the distances between missions was just outrageous. I usually just had my partner drive, which sadly meant I missed out on the police dispatches, short side quests which were usually more fun than the actual cases. Some points in the game you'll get into shootouts, which are unsatisfying and stiff. The cover system doesn't work very well at all and I wish the shooting was just left out of the game. Now there were two things I really did enjoy. The chase sequences, which were thrilling and very cool (though overused quite a bit), and the story, which was engaging and rich. However neither of these are worth buying the game over because you have to sit through everything else. I gave this game the score that I did because the story is very interesting and the Mafia 2 approach to open world games is not done nearly enough in games. I didn't enjoy this game, but the ideas are sound and I can easily see a more refined L.A. Noire 2 being a huge improvement. Expand
  82. Aug 5, 2011
    L.A. Noire has a very interesting concept, not enough however to make up for the slow and repetitive gameplay. What's most innovative about the game is that it uses a state-of-the-art technology that captures facial expressions, this means basically you'll be doing alot of interrogating and you'll have to use your intuitions based on the clues you have gathered and the reactions yourL.A. Noire has a very interesting concept, not enough however to make up for the slow and repetitive gameplay. What's most innovative about the game is that it uses a state-of-the-art technology that captures facial expressions, this means basically you'll be doing alot of interrogating and you'll have to use your intuitions based on the clues you have gathered and the reactions your witness/suspect when they give an answer to tell if they are true, doubful, or a lie. The game is very linear and the outcome of each case is not substantial and does not impact how you progress through this game. Most of the cases are not that interesting and gets really repetitive after a while. There is little to no connection between cases which means you're pretty much hopping from one individual case to another which makes the game feels more of a chore once the novelty dies down. The map of L.A. Noire is huge and beautifully designed. You are free to roam wherever you want however there is pretty much nothing you can do or interact with. This game isn't a sandbox so you can't frisk whoever you want on the streets like in True Crime, and you can't buy hotdogs from vendors etc. That said, to those who are going to give this game a try, note that this isn't Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption from a cop's point of view. This game is overrated. It's pretty much just a detective game with interesting concept implementations and nothing more. My advice, instead of taking up the cases alone, try playing it with others to make this a fun and interesting experience. Expand
  83. Aug 3, 2011
    So repetitive, and gets dull quick. I jumped on the bandwagon and bought it from critics reviews. They were mistaken. A game that does the exact same thing over and over in a VERY slow pace is repetitive.Go check out a body, ask questions, your right even if your wrong. That's the game. Great graphics because most of the game is cinematic. I thought this was going to be Heavy Rain butSo repetitive, and gets dull quick. I jumped on the bandwagon and bought it from critics reviews. They were mistaken. A game that does the exact same thing over and over in a VERY slow pace is repetitive.Go check out a body, ask questions, your right even if your wrong. That's the game. Great graphics because most of the game is cinematic. I thought this was going to be Heavy Rain but so much better. Absolutely false. Rent before buying. De niro put the wrong game in his film festival. Hate to say over hyped but it was. Your not missing much. Heavy Rain dominates starting with story and ending with entertainment factor. Don't we play these games for entertainment? Expand
  84. Aug 25, 2011
    Honestly, I was highly disappointed by this game and believe that it is quite overrated. This game was supposed to be a groundbreaking game as advertise, did not live up to its hype and sure it had absolutely superb facial animations due to great motion capture, but despite that the gameplay isn't quite the best and textures on objects besides character's faces are quite poor.

When you

When you find a clue, whether or not you actually see the clue in the investigation, the controller vibrates, so it kinda removes the challenge of actually finding the clues. The whole cover-based shooting isn't inventive, but formulaic. Sometimes when you present evidence for when a suspect is lying, you think It would add up but it doesn't seem to prove your point to the suspect. And when you fail the mission, do poorly, accuse the wrong person or what have you the game must go on, which jiggles the plot line a bit. Rockstar also reused the twist ending of Red Dead Redemption, which i was also a little disappointed with.

Cole Phelps is a bit of a boring character but as the story goes on, he becomes more and more interesting and you begin to understand the reasons he acts. The other characters have fairly obvious quirks but are also interesting enough to be around and not skip the cut scenes. I did like how the people were randomly generated from a character-creator of sorts. It was also nice how your crashing of cars didn't go unpunished with poor mission ratings. It was fun going around finding all the neat vintage cars and the music was great and added to the overall appeal of the game. However one of the songs was also used in Fallout 3, so whenever that one came on the radio I instantly had thoughts of a bleak and barren wasteland, not a corrupt growing town of movies, music and drugs.
  85. Sep 17, 2011
    I'm so happy this game came. It's the best experiment in videogame since Heavy Rain and it's great pro. With good story and amazing acting it's very important game in this generation.
  86. Feb 22, 2012
    L.A. Noire is flat out an excellent game. However, it is not for everyone.You must be willing to be patient & methodical.This game is not intended to be non-stop action & anyone desiring such will be disappointed. I for one enjoyed the wonderful experience of driving around post war Los Angeles & just soaking up the atmosphere.Similarly I loved taking my time teasing out all the clues &L.A. Noire is flat out an excellent game. However, it is not for everyone.You must be willing to be patient & methodical.This game is not intended to be non-stop action & anyone desiring such will be disappointed. I for one enjoyed the wonderful experience of driving around post war Los Angeles & just soaking up the atmosphere.Similarly I loved taking my time teasing out all the clues & interrogating suspects. Many, I realize, will not, but this is hardly the fault of the game. My only complaints are the very twitchy vehicle steering, & the somewhat inconsistent suspect questioning system. Other than that I loved L.A. Noire & came away feeling as though I had actually spent time as a detective in the Los Angeles my Grandfather knew so well as a young man.
    Highly recommended.
  87. Nov 20, 2012
    L.A. Noire is an interesting game. More of an interactive movie, this game requires your powers of deduction more than your ability to pull off a headshot. Featuring simply amazing visuals, voice acting, and character models, L.A. Noire looks amazing. But this is a game after all, so gameplay needs to be address as well. Aside from the occasional street crime you can stop, or story-basedL.A. Noire is an interesting game. More of an interactive movie, this game requires your powers of deduction more than your ability to pull off a headshot. Featuring simply amazing visuals, voice acting, and character models, L.A. Noire looks amazing. But this is a game after all, so gameplay needs to be address as well. Aside from the occasional street crime you can stop, or story-based shootout, there's not a lot of game to be had. It really relies on playing a very gritty game of who-done-it in a virtual world. I personally found like some of the cases' were a little too obvious, though. Sometimes I couldn't help like there was a lot of missed potential for a big reveal that this character did it, and you never saw it coming. Most of the time, the criminal's identity never seemed like it was that much of a surprise to me, and made it feel like I was watching a movie that I already knew the ending to. Overall, L.A. Noire probably warrants a playthrough, although odds are you probably will play it just that one time, as the only motivation to play again is to try for 5 stars on all the cases. Expand
  88. Aug 5, 2013
    First of all I loved the concept. L.A. Noire was definitely something I hadn't seen in gaming before. Motion capture was absolutely awesome and at the first couple of desks it was great in interrogations, too. However towards end of the game it became much harder to read suspects facial expressions. Maybe (and probably) I was just bad but honestly it was just one big tragicomic fiasco. MyFirst of all I loved the concept. L.A. Noire was definitely something I hadn't seen in gaming before. Motion capture was absolutely awesome and at the first couple of desks it was great in interrogations, too. However towards end of the game it became much harder to read suspects facial expressions. Maybe (and probably) I was just bad but honestly it was just one big tragicomic fiasco. My boss gave me so much negative feedback that if I was a detective in 1940's LA he probably would've just shot me. And I'm not even exaggerating. At the ending he said after every case I did something wrong. The game was pretty repetitive and boring as well without any replay value. Complete it once put it to shelf. Overall I enjoyed the game at very beginning but it became, honestly, boring after couple of first cases. Expand
  89. May 17, 2011
    A smart game that takes risks and goes places other games haven't. Don't expect to shoot your way through the plot - you have to use your head instead. Kudos to Rockstar and Team Bondi.
  90. May 20, 2011
    Great mrs but other then that game is very linear if you skip side quests you won't be using any weapons but just look at the dialogs.. Great rent but not worth 40£!
  91. May 17, 2011
    Total revolution in gaming!! Finally something new and exciting makes you think.. Graphics control sound good job rockstar as always.... Plus its refreshing to have a game that goes back in a significant time in history!!!
  92. Jun 1, 2011
    If I can choose 1 word to sum up the game it is 'disappointing'. That's sad for me to say as I am a huge Rockstar fan and have been for a decade since GTA hit the scene. LA Noire does a lot really well but it left a tonne of potential on the table. Like all users I am sure I am not alone with the expectation that this game may have had some resemblance to the game play that we have come toIf I can choose 1 word to sum up the game it is 'disappointing'. That's sad for me to say as I am a huge Rockstar fan and have been for a decade since GTA hit the scene. LA Noire does a lot really well but it left a tonne of potential on the table. Like all users I am sure I am not alone with the expectation that this game may have had some resemblance to the game play that we have come to expect from Rockstar. My impression was that we would be getting the most advanced visual brilliance in facial recognition as well as the awesome scenery of LA in the 1940s along with what open features we know from the Red Dead Redemption and GTA Series games. I guess I set myself up for a higher expectation or just assumed too much. LA Noire is visually brilliant and for sure they have done an amazing job but it's frustrating as hell in the interview process, not rewarding and you get the bad guy anyways so whats the point! Why not have made the game in the same style as the GTA games with all the sights of LA and given it a little more of a human face to the cases. It seems to me to be too robotic like in solving crimes in that no matter what way you turn you'll get t here anyways. Is it challenging? No. Is it visually awesome? YES. Would I play it over and over like I do the other Rockstar Games? NO. Sorry guys but you had a captive audience during pre-game and I think you missed an opportunity here. Let's hope the next GTA makes up for it. I'm off now to play Red Dead Redemption. Expand
  93. May 22, 2011
    L.A. Noire can´t live up to all the buzz surrounding it. The game mechanics are solid but if you dindn´t like driving in GTA IV you will probably not like driving through L.A. Luckily you have the choice to have your partner drive but then the game becomes even more like an interactive cutscene which it seems to be most of the time. The interviews, one of theL.A. Noire can´t live up to all the buzz surrounding it. The game mechanics are solid but if you dindn´t like driving in GTA IV you will probably not like driving through L.A. Luckily you have the choice to have your partner drive but then the game becomes even more like an interactive cutscene which it seems to be most of the time. The interviews, one of the supposed highlights of this game, turn out to be dialogs worse executed than in classic Lucas Arts games like Day of the Tentacle, the Monkey Island series or Zack McCracken. Only the didn´t have the amazing facial animations of L.A. Noire. Even so I can´t tell from them wether the suspect is lying or not. When others argue this is the first time you are supposed to use your wits and brain in a game I´m inclined to refer them back to the nineties and have them play some of titels above mentioned or even Police Quest, which in it´s time was a great game. The Crime solving is extremely repetitive and the whole game is linear to a point where I was reminded of titles like Uncharted. On finishing one assignment the next mission begins seamlessly not a chance to drive around in-between and discover the graphically well executed sandbox of L.A. The whole backdrop feels not like an actual open world and more like a canvas which offers different ways to get from the central station to the crime scenes. The sights are a pity excuse for players to drive around and discover it. The highly anticipated Film noire atmosphere does not engulf the player as one would expect. The game stays entirely on the screen unlike for example heavy Rain or even Red Dead Redemption where the prairie atmosphere struck me like lightning. The overall graphics are solid, the facial animation as mentioned before are truly amazing, nevertheless L.A. Noire lacks the luster other games brought along. The way in which Ezio moves in Assassins Creed looks way more natural than any move Cole Phelps ever does. On the upside the voice over is superb and the overall acting is impressive. One nice touch is the option to play the game in black and white. In the end there´s nothing to save this title and make it exceptional.

L.A. Noire fails short of deserving more than 5/10 for the voiceover, acting and nice touches on the graphics.
  94. May 19, 2011
    I think that this game is pretty decent. It's not meant to be taken too seriously as some may have expected. It has the mechanics of GTA and RDR, but it's clearly a different type of game based on paying attention. The graphics and sound are ridiculous. I have it on PS3 so I can't speak for the 360 version. A perfect 10 may be a stretch, but it's worth an 8 overall. It's not as goodI think that this game is pretty decent. It's not meant to be taken too seriously as some may have expected. It has the mechanics of GTA and RDR, but it's clearly a different type of game based on paying attention. The graphics and sound are ridiculous. I have it on PS3 so I can't speak for the 360 version. A perfect 10 may be a stretch, but it's worth an 8 overall. It's not as good storywise or interactivewise as Heavy Rain, and it's not as action packed as RDR, which are both 10's in their own right. Expand
  95. May 26, 2011
    Great game, not perfect, slightly clunky combat system but the superb voice acting and investigation game play more than make up for it. Can't wait till LA Noire 2!
  96. Dec 28, 2011
    Now, THIS is a good game. People complain about how easy the game is, just wait for the controller to vibrate and that's it. NO GUYS! This functions can be deactivated whenever you want and you will be for your own! Each case has it's own story, but there is a well-thought and nice main story behind all of those other. Each time you complete a case, something about the main story will beNow, THIS is a good game. People complain about how easy the game is, just wait for the controller to vibrate and that's it. NO GUYS! This functions can be deactivated whenever you want and you will be for your own! Each case has it's own story, but there is a well-thought and nice main story behind all of those other. Each time you complete a case, something about the main story will be revealed, and in the end you will uncover the past of Cole and that all the small stories are linked, creating a really nice plot. We can't forget the AMAZING atmosphere that the game offers, the AWESOME graphics and the GREAT sounds. A must-have for all of those who enjoy good games. Expand
  97. May 19, 2011
    Buggy glitched out **** fest this game is. Buyers remorse started setting in hard after the first day or 2. The game is boring, the world is devoid of any emotion or life, It plays exactly like GTAIV only its not fun, the interviewing sucks. Awful game. It bricked my PS3, so I played it on Xbox and it has graphical glitches everywhere. Shame on you rockstar. Never buying another one theseBuggy glitched out **** fest this game is. Buyers remorse started setting in hard after the first day or 2. The game is boring, the world is devoid of any emotion or life, It plays exactly like GTAIV only its not fun, the interviewing sucks. Awful game. It bricked my PS3, so I played it on Xbox and it has graphical glitches everywhere. Shame on you rockstar. Never buying another one these titles again. Expand
  98. May 22, 2011
    It's a Police Quest movie for console gamers, obsessed on huge maps and fancy graphics. 'Investigation' games are not new, neither are 'games that play like movies'. Metal Gear Solid, anyone? Rockstar has somehow tapped into a hype pool of people that have apparently never played video games before, and are fascinated by the movie quality of some aspects. Really, would you pay $60 to see aIt's a Police Quest movie for console gamers, obsessed on huge maps and fancy graphics. 'Investigation' games are not new, neither are 'games that play like movies'. Metal Gear Solid, anyone? Rockstar has somehow tapped into a hype pool of people that have apparently never played video games before, and are fascinated by the movie quality of some aspects. Really, would you pay $60 to see a movie? It's not the best movie, but it is decently polished. However, there is this sector of society that believes video games should be movies; high quality, interactive, but always one ending. Because that's how this is. Once you beat it, there's not really an alternate take you can do. Grind through more of the map and collect achievements, and put it back on the shelf. That's not fun. And games, despite what movie fanatics may tell you, are supposed to be fun. Contrary to the belief of many of these hype-fans, many games can provide fun, intelligent action without pushing violence. Metal Gear, Myst, Oddworld, Braid, Portal, Civilization, Lara Croft... that's just a few that come to mind. All games that are far cheaper, and most have more gameplay depth, replayability, and mental challenge. This game will not test your investigative skills, and for that, it's a fraud. It's like singing Karaoke with auto-tune. Expand
  99. May 17, 2011
    +Graphics/sound +Story -Control -Gameplay //////// +Amazing visuals, SFX, music and voice overs. +Story and characters really draw you in -Same GTA controls -Lacks the free roaming fun of GTA or even RDR -Poor saving system -Some frame rate issues //////// I will start off by saying I have always been a big Rockstar fan, from the top down GTA to Red Dead Redemption. So naturally I had very+Graphics/sound +Story -Control -Gameplay //////// +Amazing visuals, SFX, music and voice overs. +Story and characters really draw you in -Same GTA controls -Lacks the free roaming fun of GTA or even RDR -Poor saving system -Some frame rate issues //////// I will start off by saying I have always been a big Rockstar fan, from the top down GTA to Red Dead Redemption. So naturally I had very high hopes for LA Noire. Going into Noire one should expect certain restraints from what they have experienced in past Rockstar titles (setting, time, being for the other side of the law). That being said, something is really lost being a cop instead of a criminal. Gone are the killing sprees of GTA, but you can still take whichever car you want. Expect the same GTA style chunky controls for walking, fighting and driving. My biggest issue with the game is the saving system. Imagine playing GTA or Fallout 3 from start to end of a mission without saving. When I play games I have to get the best possible outcome every time, so this meant having to redo entire cases over just to get correct questions at the end. Seriously, you can only auto save, no save slots, no going home to save, only when the games wants to save. I even had to redo missions just because of auto save confusion. I have many problems with this game, but I still am having some fun with it. Ultimately, it's a step back from GTA/RDR, with better graphics. If you're hoping for GTA craziness, you will be very disappointed. If you're hoping for a nice story with some puzzles in between, here you go. Expand
  100. May 24, 2011
    VERY PRETTY, unfortuately it is pretty dull, pretty boring, pretty repetitive and pretty predictable. It is , because it is rockstar, also pretty disappointing. the whole thing drags like walking through mud, there is precious little action and the side missions are utterly repetitive. In comparison to Red Dead (yes, thats action based but still sandbox) its a step backwards. Dont get meVERY PRETTY, unfortuately it is pretty dull, pretty boring, pretty repetitive and pretty predictable. It is , because it is rockstar, also pretty disappointing. the whole thing drags like walking through mud, there is precious little action and the side missions are utterly repetitive. In comparison to Red Dead (yes, thats action based but still sandbox) its a step backwards. Dont get me wrong, i like the use of intuition, i like the thought behind it but in focussing on desperately trying to be different and engaging it has completely missed the fact that it still has to be interesting and fun. Yawn Expand

1. Oct 19, 2011
    At first L.A. Noire seems a bit too easy, then it gets interesting and reading people's reactions makes for some of the best gaming this year. The atmosphere is spot on and the late 40's LA really feels like an authentic, living place. [June 2011]
  2. Aug 16, 2011
    Team Bondi created a technical masterpiece with L.A. Noire. The problem is that they didn't create an artistic or even entertaining masterpiece.
  3. Jul 26, 2011
    Look past the glitz of technical achievements, richly designed sets, ostensibly interactive environments, and you will see the real L.A. Noire – a vapid adventure with a hole-ridden plot, a boring unsympathetic hero, and rough stitches in places where content should be.