• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 6, 2012
6.9

1. Nov 6, 2012
    I was really skeptical about this game at first. I didn't think that it would have the look and feel of an authentic LBP game. Boy was I wrong. The narration, music, and style is all authentic LBP. Once I played the beta that this game would deliver and it did.
  2. Nov 14, 2012
    Great game. The creation portion of it is fantastic, like all other LBP's. You have tutorials teaching you how to do every little thing, and can create anything your mind can come up with. The story is a good amount of fun, especially with friends or family. The karts handle well and you can also customize them. One of the best racing games I've ever played!
  3. Dec 13, 2012
    I expected this to be just ok, but now that I've got my hands on it, I'm really very impressed! As an LBP fan, I really appreciate all their attention to detail, the revitalization of prior LBP motifs, and how versatile they made the editor. The game seems more fun than the beta had been. And the brilliant player made levels already popping up are a good sign that the community is already getting revved up! Expand
  4. Nov 7, 2012
    I am going to judge the game by what it is, not what it is not.

The game feels so fresh and infinite with creativity. The customization is only limited to the content you can work with. The create mode may seem tricky at first, but the controls actually work out very well once learned to create masterpiece tracks or minigames. I remember someone making a platformer back in the beta,
    and there is even a FPS game on it. Even if you're not the biggest fan of karting, the create mode has the tools to make it comparable to LittleBigPlanet 3D.

The music is nicely chosen and fits will with the game. I'm glad to see a couple musicians from the previous games back such as Matt Clark. Not only that, but the narration by Stephen Fry has an inventive tone that is so crisply voiced that just buying the game to hear Stephen Fry might even be worth it. You get your bang for the buck with this game. Ignore the critical reviews against it; this LittleBigPlanet game is just as good as any other.
  5. Nov 6, 2012
    This game is a must have for anyone who enjoys either of the littlebigplanets, once the creators get a hold of the new system, there wont be another kart racer that can beat it.
  6. Nov 6, 2012
    this game is crazy. the editor is amazing- way more involved than mod nation racers or little big planet. you can build everything. everything that you can imagine! spaceships flown by dinosaurs! toasters that shoot popsicles! flying games! racing games! top-down games! whatever you want!
  7. Nov 9, 2012
    Anybody who enjoys kart racing needs to pick this game up. Don't fall into the trap of negative critics. This game is packed with great levels, an online community which is already recreating our Mario Kart favorites, and familiar mechanics for anybody who has 2 hands. This is a game you can play with advanced gamers, girlfriends, wives, and children. With tons of collectables and different kinds of battle levels, you'll get plenty of replayability in this game. I know my family is loving it! Expand
  8. Nov 10, 2012
    Better than mario kart. I have all systems, and to me it is alot better than mario kart. The graphics are awesome and united front did a really good job making it feel like other LBP games. It's really fun!

Don't listen to the negative reviews here, probably just mario fans, who swear this is copying mario kart, when in fact they fail to realize that kart games are a sub-genre of
    racing, any publisher can make a kart game, mario is just part of the same genre. is MLB the show a clone of MLB2k? NO because they are part of the same genre.

The thing about mario kart is that it gets boring after awhile because the tracks get old. Mirrored tracks are not new tracks, lol. You won't have this problem in LBP karting because you can create your own tracks and karts, and play tracks others have created, make your own weapons from scratch. Unlimited new tracks by people all around the world. You can also have a go at the 50 levels designed by united front.You can recreate mario kart tracks if you want. The editing tool is powerful. You're only limited by your imagination. And if your not good at creating, than just make a kart dress up your sackboy and play on the unlimited new tracks being uploaded everyday. To you mario fans, i understand, i do, you like nintendo, you grew up playing mario kart, no one will ever change your mind, you think mario kart is better and you always will, your a nintendo fan. You would never admit LBP karting is better, even if you knew it. I get that. But as a owner of all systems, without a doubt LBP karting is alot better it really is, sorry, and the sad part is you guys may never play it, just because its not made by nintendo. If you like LBP this is a MUST BUY. If you like kart racing and unlimted new tracks, and customization this is a MUST BUY.
  9. Nov 12, 2012
    [PT-BR] Quem curte os jogos da franquia LittleBigPlanet e quem se divertiu muito com ModNation Racers do PS3 com certeza não irá se arrepender, o jogo segue a mesma mecânica, praticamente nada foi mudado na engine do MNR, mas a imersão no mundo LBP é enorme, personagens conhecidos e a fórmula pra criar e compartilhar que só LBP tem, estou adorando o jogo, nota 10... Expand
  10. Nov 18, 2012
    The whole idea of LittleBigPlanet taking on kart racing worried me at first, but the moment I got my hands on it, I couldn't put it down. Being able to customize your Sackboy and karts couldn't be any funner. And don't get me started on the create mode. All in all this game deserves more recognition than it gets.
  11. Nov 23, 2012
    best karting game on the PS3, similar to Modnation racers without the awful loading times. the game comes with 71 courses and has thousands more online, as customizable as LBP and as fun as Modnation racers. personaly i dont understand why its got a low score from all the critics, i mean even F1 karting score is only just lower than LBP Karting and even though awful it only has a hand full of track with codemasters charging for extra as DLC, if you want a fun karting game then LBP Karting is the choice to make. Expand
  12. Dec 9, 2012
    I was a bit concerned because of some of the reviews but bought the game anyway because it looked like a fun littlebigplanet game with racing. Not disappointed with my purchase. They reviews seem inaccurate for me because this game is loads of fun and has all the charm of previous LBP games.
  13. Sep 17, 2013
    I think that this game is great! A lot of games now are competitive but this game brings you back to the noncompetitive, sure its challenging but it almost never makes you rage. The level building system is great! Tutorials are spot on. It can be hard to make a level but that just shows how much of YOU, you put in the level.
  14. Nov 6, 2012
    Take two great PS3 titles, LittleBigPlanet and Modnation Racers, and put them together. What do you get? One amazing game. The customization is just as good as the previous games. You could spend hours making your dream kart. The story and community races are fun, but sometimes the AI can be pretty annoying. Creating levels are fun... when you figure out how to use the hundreds of objects and tools. The multiplayer is also very enjoyable for the most part. Overall the game may have a flaw or two here and there, but if you like wacky racers or you are a fan of LBP, this is a pretty hard title to overlook. Expand
  15. Nov 6, 2012
    As you can see, the majority of reviewers say this is a solid game; it is too! Here is a list of my improvements over MNR. Then I will follow it up with a list of "needs improvement/patch." Improvements: 1. It has a true theme (LBP Universe). 2. Shorter Load Times 3. Weapon Variety 4. Event Variety (Races/Death Match/Egg Capture) 5. Amazing Track Theme Variety (Played a course that looked like Tron)!

Needs Improving/Patch:
    1. Online XP or Level Ranking-I can't believe there is nothing online that distinguishes a player's ability or skill. Please add something!
  16. Nov 7, 2012
    It may not be the LittleBigPlanet 3 I'm still waiting for, however this is most definitely a LittleBigPlanet game, and it shows. It has the fun, lighthearted entertainment you've come to expect from the franchise. The racing is exciting and fun, the mini-games are well done, and the story is just as wondrous as ever. Combine that with the potential high-quality user-made content that we're used to in a LBP title, and you've got a really solid release. Absolutely recommend picking this one up. Expand
  17. Nov 24, 2012
    There is no end to what this game can become! I've been playing since midnight the day they released it. Every day I find something new I can create it play! Its new and parts of the game isn't available yet ( crossover from the other lbp's) the tools are tricky and take time to learn be it is well worth doing! With the first update I do hope ppl's give it a chance and not kill the game before it gets started! Race ya soon ~!~ Expand
  18. Jun 15, 2014
    This is the kind of game you need a friend to play with. If youre playing on your own it can be quite boring and stale, which is probably why it hasnt got such good reviews... but if you've got a friend it can be REALLY fun. Online is okay although I experienced a bit of dropout but I'd definitely recommend this as a party game or something to play with a friend.
  19. Nov 12, 2012
    Basically, this game is Mod Nation Racers with a few twists and some disappointing omissions. The editor is noticeably easier to use. The biggest advantage over Mod Nation, though, is the load times. You won't be sitting around for two minutes waiting for a track to load anymore. This improvement alone makes the game worth it if you liked Mod Nation but got burnt out on waiting (like me).
  20. Nov 10, 2013
    This is what you get when you take the charm and creative tools at the heart of the LittleBigPlanet series and put them into a kart racer. Fantastic and adorable graphics, an insane amount of creation tools, and plenty of modes both online and off. Truly this is a great kart racer. As always the insane amount user created content is a heck of a lot of fun to play with and can give you some great ideas for creations of your own. It's a great game but it does have some issues.

Long and frequent load times, an overly talkative narrator, and a lackluster soundtrack do bring the experience down a little. The biggest flaw the game has though is the now dead online multiplayer. I couldn't find a match online where most of the racers weren't bots. Still if you can get your friends together multiplayer can still be a blast. Like I said before these issues do bring down the experience, but they don't ruin it.

If you're looking for a charming kart racer that lets your imagination soar. You can spend countless hours with the creation tools and not even touch the story mode or multiplayer. Part of what makes this game so enjoyable is the charm of the LittleBigPlanet series. One of the most impressive parts of the game is that it doesn't feel like a spin-off from the series, but rather a full-fledged entry in the LBP series.
  21. Dec 26, 2012
    LBP Karting is ambitious, to say the least . Including full-3D levels, clever reworkings of Mario Kart features such as power-ups, of course with the now customary level creation mode taking on the dizzying aspects of Kart Racing, LBPK is a damn decent effort. Of course it isn't without issues. AI can be frustrating, as can an unstoppable second rocket in a row up the backside. On four deprecate occasions whilst in level creator, the game froze forcing a restart which lost much of my data. Perhaps these issues can be patched? I eagerly await the LBP2 import feature, and believe Karting has a just-bright-enough future. Expand
  22. Nov 25, 2012
    This is a great karting game... So this is Sony's attempt to make a karting game like mario kart or any other karting game. I say they did a good job on it with great campaign, awesome soundtrack every soundtrack for every karting race I play is always great with a wonderful tune. I played this with my two friends and they thought this game was great fun and I did too with customizing your kart and your sackboy. This game is great go play this with your friends and you'll have a good time with playing this game. Expand
  23. Nov 14, 2012
    This is an excellent karting game set in the world of LBP. There is a learning curve to the driving style which I think might have caused some of the lower reviews but it really is a lot of fun and with the level creator and online community there is an endless supply of levels to enjoy (karting, sidescroller, top down shooting, battle arenas, boss battles etc)
  24. Dec 26, 2013
    Graphics: They actually look really amazing, and for the first time LBP is in 3D (game play wise). 10.

Sound: Great themes while racing, feels like a karting game. 10.

Gameplay: This is a karting game that can be compared to a Mario Kart game although there isn't’t much of a sense of speed in the karts. There are additional speed boosters while racing but the karts themselves
    don’t feel as great as they should. All in all it’s a great karting game on Sony’s platform, and the creation goes beyond imagination. Some of the user content is at its best with creative new ideas (like a time traveling level), and classic levels found in Mario Kart. The game’s story is short but at a perfect length for a Karting game, and it does a great job mixing things up (race, battle arena, boss fight, etc.). This game is great but it still does have its flaws. 8.

Story: Very simple, but uninteresting. 5.

Replay Value: There’s definitely a lot to do in this game, single player, multiplayer, co-op, battle challenges, it’s definitely a purchase if you know that’s the experience you want, a karting game. 10.

Overall Score: 8.6 out of 10.
  25. Dec 22, 2012
    As a big LBP fan, I couldnt wait to get my hands on this. Sackboy in an exciting all new 3D world! Insanely powerful editor ready to create amazing levels to enjoy and show the world... Well, that didnt quite happen. The reality is, this is a pretty average karting game and what should have been its crown jewel (the editor) is a clunky affair. The game itself is decent fun, but never amazes, partly thanks to the physics and partly thanks to the unbalanced weapons. As for the editor - fans of LBP will find this version much slower and lazy at times - simple things like connecting wires/logic can take 10-15 secs (rather than 1 in LBP), even more if the object is on something hidden behind something else. Basically, if your looking for an amazing kart game, this isnt it. If your looking for something with a powerful editor, this falls short too (If your willing to put in a lot of time, you can end up with something special, but its nowhere near as polished as the editor in LBP). Expand
  26. Jan 26, 2013
    I try not to compare games and prices when reviewing a game, but in this case it seems like the perfect thing to do since this game is just like Modnation. I picked this up for $10 because of PS+ but I'm not going to score this game on price, since the price can change. But it definitely is worth $10. But I am going to score this game based off of Modnation Racers.

This game is just
    like Modnation with a couple of exceptions. Both exceptions you can check out yourself in the demo because it's really hard to explain what they are. But the first one is using your weapons as a shield. I liked the way Modnation did the shield, I do not like having to use my weapons to shied myself every time. I don't want to get into depth on that because it's hard to explain, but if you've played Modnation then play LBPkarting demo and see what I mean, and the second thing is customizing your Kart/sackperson. I liked Modnation better because you could zoom right in and put tiny detail on your Kart and Character, you can't do that in LBP Karting. oh yeah and a third thing is you can't build the level of your weapons like Modnation. I like the way they did it in Modnation better because it caused for more strategy..... "do you use your level 1 rocket? or build it to level 3?" You don't get to make those type of strategic decisions in LBPK.

The create a track is where the games really separate from each other. The tools and creating the tracks in LBPK is like Modnation except it is way more in depth with MUCH MORE VARIETY. I really like the music in the game, and the story is fine... nothing special.

I probably would have given this game a 9 out of 10 if Modnation never existed, but since Modnation came out 2 1/2 years before this game.... This game should have been a huge improvement on Modnation and any other Kart Racers. But all they did was give Modnation a Little big Planet Environment and call it LBPK. For anyone who still plays Modnation, I encourage you to just keep playing Modnation and don't bother getting this game.
    For anyone who has never played Modnation, I encourage you to buy this game instead
    For anyone who has played Modnation and are looking to re-buy it, I encourage you to try this game out first.

Like I stated above, I try not to ever compare games when reviewing, but LBPK is just so much like Modnation it's hard not to...... not to mention the people who made Modnation worked on LBPK too.
  27. Apr 18, 2014
    Never played any of the Little Big Planet stuff, nor would I ever buy a kiddie karting game like this, but since it was released on PS plus I gave it a try and had loads of fun with it. It's funny how these crazy little karting games are usually so much more entertaining than a serious racing material. Don't expect a masterpiece here, but for purely fun purposes this is very good, the gameplay feels fluid, the music and songs are really cool, so when Devo's "Fresh!" starts to rock out and you're drifting the corners of some crazy turtle beach or whatever with your handmade customized sackboy and shooting rockets at your friends, you know you're having a good time. 7/10 Expand
  28. Nov 26, 2012
    LBP Karting enters the ever broadening arena of arcade racing games. The combined efforts of LBP developers Media Molecule and Modnation Racers creators United Front Games- is an ambitious game, which tries to push the create, play and share montra into a highly imaginative and fun racer for single player and multiplayer races alike. The end result is one that stuffs Sackboy into the tyre wall. The major problem is with the AI, they fling projectiles everywhere constantly, especially at the latter end of the story. The environment design of the story circuits are classic LBP. Everything from dreamy disco based races to Wipeout homage circuits, there are plenty of inspired levels on show here. Destruction based events are a nice novelty and juxtapose the slightly more friendlier racing approach, where the objective is to score as many points as possible until the time expires. The problem is the arenas are far too big for arena battles. Racing around to find a competitor to blast with your charged weapons feels pointless and boring at times. As with games of this nature, it's going to have a large and exponential multiplayer field. In this area LBP Karting doesn't disappoint, there are brilliant options for creating, though still difficult to create something exactly as you planned. Generally though, the low score is contributed to its quibbles and problems which crop up that detract from the enjoyment of the racing exerience. There are arcade racers such as Modnation and Blur which are still perfectly fun, whilst still being a genuine challenge. This racer tends to frustrate the player rather than rewarding them with exciting gameplay. A good choice for multiplayer, but alone it falls flat. Expand
  29. Dec 10, 2012
    The game is developed by United Front Games (creators of ModNation Racers) and MediaMolecule (creators of LittleBigPlanet).
    With that being said, I'm personally very disappointed in this game. I was expecting it to be a WOW factor having a good ModNation feel and a good LittleBigPlanet feel, however it falls short in each. The driving is very similar to that in ModNation Racers, but falls
    short in execution. The game is fun for a while but unlike past LittleBigPlanet games and ModNation racers, it loses it's appeal way too fast. Overall it's an okay game that's fun, but doesn't have that lasting appeal that the other LittleBigPlanet games and ModNation Racers had. Expand
  30. Feb 3, 2014
    If you can get this for free in Playstation Plus, sure, give it a whirl with a friend. But don't pay for it, since it's not as good as either of the actual LBP games, and it's a fairly dull karting game in its own right.

1. Jan 25, 2013
    LittleBigPlanet Karting includes a toolset which players can use to build visually and mechanically imaginative creations; which I suppose is the most important thing to nail when creating a LittleBigPlanet game. United Front has done that swimmingly.
  2. Jan 24, 2013
    Clunky, unpolished and altogether flimsy. [Feb 2013, p.73]
  3. Jan 6, 2013
    Worth checking out, especially if you're interested not only in racing with your kid on split screen, but also in tackling the powerful but not very friendly editor. [1/2013, p.65]