6.9

1. Jun 12, 2012
    this game is so good so funny gory too with alot of swearing and skimpy outfit i love it she next larry croft only she teenage cheerleader............................................................................
  2. Jun 12, 2012
    Suda51, the quirky mind behind Killer7, No More Heroes and Shadows of the Damned, returns with another **** zombie outbreak. Hey, I'm going to make a zombie game of my very own. It will be an apocalyptic survival game in which you and a small group of desperate survivors with complementary skills must navigate a deserted city without being crushed under an avalanche of zombie games, movies, and reinterpretations of classic literature. I'll call it 'Enough with the **** Zombies Already'. Honestly, at this point you people just won't be able to cope if civilization ends any other way, will you. But that's neither here or there, what is here is some fun hacko-slasho-button-masho combat, and there is some fun, quirky humor that Suda51 is so fond of. Juliet is so much more likable that Lara Croft. Lara Croft is a sassy action girl who flips arbitrarily between the two, Juliet is just an over-the- top, sexy and violent action hero. Of course, the chainsaw has been used more on zombies in games more than trees in real life, and it is really over the top in Lollipop Chainsaw, but it's balanced with Suda51's desire to make the funniest, quirkiest game ever. If you loved Killer7 or Nomeroes then you will certainly love this. It is certainly a spectacle, but that's not a problem because the gratuitous, sexy, bloody violence compensates. I have a few gripes with the game; Juliet is an example of how poorly women are treated as a main character, Bayonetta was an example because everything Bayonetta does was **** I know Suda51 isn't trying to make a true female character, he was intending Juliet to be over-the-top, and it certainly delivered. So yeah, I **** loved Killer7, though it was a completely different game, but the humor and quirkiness is still here. So if you want a fun weekend, I would recommend Lollipop Chainsaw Expand
  3. Jun 14, 2012
    I think I'm gonna be enjoyed by "Lollipop Chainsaw." Typically, one of the best Suda51 game since Killer7 and Shadows of the Damned. It's a close relationship to homages of Buffy the Vampire Slayer to Dead Rising, the Evil Dead, and Kim Possible. But in the game, you get to play a bonafide sexy cheerleader from San Romero High School (Romero, the same name by famed director George A. Romero of the Night of the Living Dead movies). She has 2 sisters, Rosalind and Cordelia, and a headless boyfriend, Nick. All of a sudden, this honor-roll student is turned into a zombie slayer/hunter. She wants to find the cause of this outbreak by destroying her former classmate, Swan, and his many foes trying to eat her alive. But Juliet's life has changed and her goal is to kill every zombie with her pink-colored chainsaw. She can also use finishing moves including her pom-poms and if you didn't or did pre-ordered the game, she can wear some outfits including my 2 favorites Jimmy Urine and Ash from the Evil Dead series (GameStop). I have to get the game for $59.99. With the talented casts of legendary voice actress in animated cartoons, Tara Strong (also as Harley Quinn in Batman: Arkham City), Linda Cardellini (Velma in Scooby-Doo), and Michael Rosenbaum (The CW's Smallville), the game lets you earn trophies, listen to the huge sounds of Skillrex and other artists, and an amount of hilarious humor and jokes in the game (just like in the PS2 classic God Hand where they have a list of jokes from Chappelle's Show and allcomers). But this is it. This is the game I was waiting for. Forget Ninja Gaiden 3, I was saying buy a different action game and so I did. Lollipop Chainsaw is the best game of 2012 so far. I still wanna know if they are making a special edition or a game of the year edition for next year. Hopefully, I could wait for updates. Expand
  4. Jun 14, 2012
    The squeamish of stomach should look away.
    Anyone who compares their body image against a fictional character should also stay away from this game. (You know who you crazy people are)

But anyone who can enjoy an over the top experence will love this game.

Be warned though, in-between killing zombies you may hear a swear :O!!!!!

OMGZ!!!
  5. Jun 15, 2012
    Lollipop Chainsaw is full of humour, personality and style. I love how over the top the game play is and how outrageous the dialogue is throughout. Juliet is the female protagonist, she is literally a walking stereotype of the popular cheerleader that is fun-loving and youthful and its clear that the developers use this to their advantage which often makes for hilarious scenes. The game is effectively a parody and full of satire to the this cheerleader ideal concept and the idea of the game is fantastic. The game play however can be slightly repetitive but visually it is always full of excitement as Juliet destroys her zombie enemies with bursts of pink hearts and rainbows. Expand
  6. Jun 17, 2012
    I just got Lollipop Chainsaw, played it through and I must say............IT WAS **** AWESOME!!!!!! That new abomination named Devil May Cry by Ninja Theory can go **** it self because I have found a replacement for Dante and her name is Juliet Starling And now for The Good, Bad and Ugly. The Good: -**** AMAZING VISUALS -Nice gameplay feel -I adore the Duke Nukem Humor and references
    -Love the sound track
    -Tara Strong did a A+ job on Voice acting
    -Plenty of costumes to unlock (will boost the reply value through the roof)
    -AMAZING Boss Battles
    -Plenty of zombies to kill
    -Love the abilities you aquire
    -Juliet Starling has become one of my all time favorite female game characters The Bad:
    -Loading times can be annoying at times
    -The Checkpoints arnt placed very well
    -Some cutscenes cant be skipped and can be a pain when you die

The Ugly:
    -Its Campaign is TOO **** SHORT

Final Verdict: 9.5/10 and so far my Game of the Year Lollipop Chainsaw is one of those unique kinds of games I want to be made more, something different and something FUN!!! Not a grey, military based FPS or TPS Clone.

So Yup Lollipop Chainsaw is **** AWESOME, I will be keeping it and I recommend it to everyone
  7. Jun 23, 2012
    The main problems I see are: many loading screens, short campaign and aim issues with the gun. But in general, Lollipop Chainsaw is fun and funny. I see many critics taking this game too serious and that's not the intention. It's just amazing to kill zombies and try to beat the records. It's an arcade game, which means you can also go to the stage you want and simply have fun. It's easy to beat, but if you want more challenge try at the highest difficult. It's like a musou style and it has a variety of mini-games and quick time events, so it's not repetitive. There's some funny parodies too. The soundtrack is amazing, specially if you like rock. It has a lot of costumes to unlock, and if it were a game from other companies you would have to pay for each extra costume. So, I think this game is complete. Short, but fair. Don't expect to be like a complex AAA title with lot of stuff and things to do. It's just a game to relax from stress and have fun, even for the hardcore gamer. And remember: it has zombies and a cheerleader. What else would you want? Expand
  8. Jun 19, 2012
    It's a no-brainer full of fun. The jokes are hilarious, the setting is totally crazy. The Gameplay is a very innovative kind of a Hack&Slay-Game with tons of cool combos and gameplaytwists. If you look for something serious, go play Heavy Rain or Mass Effect, this isn't your game. But if you just look for an awesome videogame which is pure fun for what it is, pick lollipop chainsaw.
  9. Jun 14, 2012
    I have played many games this year but, Lollipop Chainsaw was by far one of the most anticipated games for me. The story although silly and over the top was enjoyable as was the game play. With a plethora of unlock able costumes and upgrades it has a high replay value. If you want an a triple A game this is not for you but, if you are looking for a fun, over the top intense joy ride look no further! Collapse
  10. Mar 4, 2013
    Gameplay is simple and it feels nice. Comic-alike graphics fit the theme and the whole game is basically a huge parody of.... well, everything. By that you can probably already guess that the plot isn't too deep, but it's funny (if you don't mind adult language and themes). All trophies are easy to get, there wasn't really even a single hard trophy.
    Overall I find the game great,
    especially if you are looking for a simple, shortish game to play. Expand
  11. Jun 28, 2012
    This is one of the products that people like to hate just because it makes them feel better. The only criticism I have read is that the game is not a total revolution, does not elevate gameplay to another dimension and does not have a humor that will satisfy 15 year old boys as much as college professors. But does that make it a bad game? I don't think so.

The setting of this game is
    as easy as it is brilliant, the day begins with the main character Juliet waking up in her room and heading off to school, just to realize that all her classmates have turned into zombies. It comes in handy that Juliet belongs to a family of zombie hunters.

The action begins just like that, Juliet takes out her chainsaw and begins her spree. This is a hack and slay game, and one that does not take your hand. With various combinations of chainsaw attacks and pompom-bashes (she is a cheerleader, after all) that stun the enemies. Basically, combat is all about killing as many zombies as possible at once, which requires some timing and knowledge of the combo system, so no button mashing allowed here. The combat is no revolution, but fluid and satisfying enough. The game consists of seven different areas, each of them with a different setup (school farm, etc.), so the zombie bashing never gets boring. Additionally, there is a number of mini-games, shooting challenges, "zombie basketball", "zombie baseball", etc.etc.etc.

The game is short, but due to a number of achievable costumes, moves and power-ups as well as several ranking modes, it definitely has a high replay value. Music is just great, humor a little dumb at times but consequent enough to make sense. This is a great, fun and challenging game, tone and artwork different from everything else I know on this console, that alone makes it an outstanding experience that I can highly recommend.
  12. Nov 11, 2012
    The FanService is great 10/10; But this game is very creative... Many things make no sense most of the time! You can call it insane, ridiculous, that gives a bad message... But being a Gamer is not only play amazing games with complicated puzzles, also is to get FUN, and this is a FUN game. I bought it to get a good time and it made my day. I have more than 30 PS3 games like Skyrim, Uncharted (all) God of war (all) etc. Sometimes you want to relax and play something not so serious and this game fits Perfect!! Expand
  13. Jun 24, 2012
    I had high hopes for this game, and it exceeded those hopes. Never boring, always with a good flow & pace. I love the feel of chainsawing the zombies in this game, the various combos aren't difficult to remember/perform, the animations are great, and they actually do make combat better. The dialogue is hilarious, all the voice actors are good (a few are fantastic), and the story is very fitting for a game called "Lollipop Chainsaw". I'm a customization freak, so the numerous unlockable costumes, both original (bunny suit) and homage ("Highschool Of The Dead") are my bliss. I'm sure this isn't a game for everyone, but if you can still just enjoy playing a fun game without the need for a franchise title, sequel or multiplayer, then you're likely to dig it. I had a total blast with it. 9/10 Expand
  14. Jun 25, 2012
    Amazing, just crush zombies, good old-school with so many details, good design , good music , i really like it , black humor just see all zombies profiles
  15. Jul 2, 2012
    This game is the coolest ever and it's short but you can play you how many times you want , i'm playing it right now , and i'm loving it , so i advise all who like funny games and want to laugh to buy it :D
  16. Aug 13, 2012
    This game is absolutely insane, and I love that. Midway through the game, you are sent to a farm. One segment of that level consists of driving a combine harvester through a field as "You Spin Me Right Round" (the awesome original, not the **** remake) plays in the background, which honestly made me stop for a minute because it was so great. Juliet is hilarious; rarely a moment goes by without her delivering some perfectly-timed quip. The banter between her, Nick (her boyfriend, who happens to be a severed head thanks to some antics on Juliet's part), and Juliet's relatives kept me going throughout the game.
    Very few segments stood out as rather tedious or frustrating. An early mini-game has you defending a volatile cake-bomb from flaming zombies. This got very boring quickly, as I would kill close to the target amount, only to have one slip past and send me back to the beginning. All things considered, I would recommend Lollipop Chainsaw to people looking for something that's not a military FPS or gory slugfest.
  17. Feb 14, 2013
    Goichi Suda is a man of intent. Not a single one of his games contains an accidental element. From the pacing, setting, dialogue, music, humor, art direction, call backs, references, and control schemes, everything is deliberately chosen to fit his purpose, and Lollipop Chainsaw does not deviate. It is possessed of the same soul as Shadows of the Damned and No More Heroes, and each detail is applied with an exacting, painstaking, firm creative hand.

I’ll first make mention that I have, in fact, been floating around the internet, reading one review or another of Suda’s most recent effort (which is totally why this review is as late as it is… *cricket* *cricket*), and I can state that among the reviews I’ve read (which certainly doesn’t include everything out there), all of them are entirely inadequate, or downright misrepresent the game with a simple, sophomoric understanding of what’s actually going on. For example, a common turn of phrase that’s unfortunately been associated with this game is “It’s stupid, but it’s awesome,” or some variation thereof. Beyond telling you nothing whatsoever (what does “stupid” mean, contextually? I don’t know, because none of the authors ever say so…), it fails to expose all of the wonderful components that make up the game, preferring to simply refer to the particularly vulgar dialogue and crass situational punchlines. There’s a lot here, and though I’ve often been (rightly) accused of over analysis and being pedantic, you’ll find this particular review does Lollipop Chainsaw justice.

I’ll start with the aesthetic. The game is set in the 1950′s, as can be gleaned from the dialogue and visual queues. All of Juliet’s male classmates are wearing letter jackets, the hairstyles are indicative of the time period (from Nick’s greaser twist, to her father’s pompadour, and her mother’s Donna Reed), as well as the dialogue though the profanity is errant for the era, the actual slang is all period perfect. None of this seems too special, until I call your attention to the news print loading screens, and the Ben-Day dots, and news paper edging motif used throughout the game from the menus, to the loading screens, to the in-game environments. These elements are hallmarks of 1950′s pulp comics, which when juxtaposed with the look and feel of the game, make it not only apparent that that’s exactly what Suda was aiming at, but puts on display just how perfect a match it is. And the pulp doesn’t stop there with nods to both George A. Romero and Joss Whedon, as well as Silence of the Lambs, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the 1992 film starring Kristy Swanson and featuring Paul Reubens and Donald Sutherland [among others], not the aforementioned Joss’ TV show) and others I’m surely missing (all of the apparent ones reference zombies or cannibalism)– pulpy, exploitative grindhouse homages abound from nearly every era.

It is exactly this observation that endorses the over-the-top dialogue. Is it ridiculous? You bet your sweet bippy! But considering that aforementioned pulpy, grindhouse feel the game goes for (and achieves), it’s a perfect fit, and beyond that, essential. Anyone who says otherwise missed the point entirely.

The plot is just as silly as any of Suda’s other games. On her 18th birthday, Juliet wakes up late to a meeting with her darling Nick, while the goth kid from school, Swan, conducts a ritual that allows the dead to once again walk the Earth. Coming from a family of zombie hunters, it’s her job to take care of the undead uprising, shouldering the burden of Nick’s now headlessness, while also saving her imperilled class mates. It’s the simple “SUDDENLY FIGHT!” convention that all of Suda’s games typically stick to, but it’s this simplicity that allowed him to, I’m sure, devote far more time and effort into the things this game will undoubtedly be remembered for. Verdict: ++Good (9.5 out of 10) The been-there-done-that combat only nominally detracts from the experience; though it isn’t anything new, it -IS- implemented tightly, with smooth and intuitive controls/combos, and an unobtrusive camera. The game is simply stunning with regard to aesthetics, not only being Suda’s most crisp game, graphically, but all of the (largely overlooked) pop culture inclusions come together to make it artistically appealing, and the ridiculous disregard for decorum and hilarious dialogue that don’t quit will entertain for its duration. Oh, and the soundtrack is killer. Get off your ginormous ass and go buy Lollipop Chainsaw!

If video game developers have analogous music genres, Suda 51 is the punk rock of gaming. I can’t wait to see what’s on deck.
  18. Mar 20, 2013
    This is a good game, got it for $20 a few weeks ago, I only played through the first chapter because I dont have time to play but I can tell that im going to like it as I keep playing.
  19. Jun 14, 2012

1. Oct 13, 2012
    A highly amusing arcade-style group beat 'em up many over-the-top elements. Only in Japan, baby, only in Japan. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 6, 2012
    A truly crazy zombie slasher that's putting the absurd style of the main heroine and the game's fetishistic stylization of a lollipop flavour up to the front. If you have a look at the actual gameplay, you get a sinusoid of a stereotype and enjoyment, up and down, up and down. If this kind of style and humour suits you, try it. However, do not expect Dead Rising out of it, this is really different.
  3. Jul 24, 2012
    Short, sweet and one of its kind, Lollipop loses its great flavour faster than cheap bubblegum. [Sept 2012, p.98]