5.5

1. Mar 21, 2013
    I think this game is much better than Madden 12. I thought the intro was the best one Madden's ever had. I really like the better graphics and some of the new features are really good. However, it also took away some of my favorite things about Madden, most importantly the fantasy draft option in franchise mode. It made me feel good knowing that I could get a brand new superstar on myI think this game is much better than Madden 12. I thought the intro was the best one Madden's ever had. I really like the better graphics and some of the new features are really good. However, it also took away some of my favorite things about Madden, most importantly the fantasy draft option in franchise mode. It made me feel good knowing that I could get a brand new superstar on my favorite team. They also got rid of EA Trax and put in an entire score instead of music by artists. Don't get me wrong, Madden 12's soundtrack was awful and the score for this game is pretty epic, but I kind of lost the homie feeling I usually get when I play Madden. Despite some features being taken, don't turn away from this game. It is way better than its predecessor and is worth taking a look at. Expand
  2. Sep 6, 2012
    Let me take a deep breath.. "inhale""exhale". Madden 13!!! is here, and to some great hype as well. The first thing I do is upload my rosters. "Check" Then I search for a non-existent frachise mode. OH! It's under career mode. O.K. then. Oh wait, there is no season mode. Hmmmm. O.k. I will create a coach and play this supposed franchise mode. This is funny, I can't control ticket pricesLet me take a deep breath.. "inhale""exhale". Madden 13!!! is here, and to some great hype as well. The first thing I do is upload my rosters. "Check" Then I search for a non-existent frachise mode. OH! It's under career mode. O.K. then. Oh wait, there is no season mode. Hmmmm. O.k. I will create a coach and play this supposed franchise mode. This is funny, I can't control ticket prices anymore, or purchase stadium upgrades or vending prices. O.k. I can live with that. Let me play the game then. Wow! new presentation! "fast foward 5 games" Must skip this generic presentation. Let me call a play, oh wait, it's always stuck on gameflow, uless I change it every game in the settings. Now i'm calling the shots. Run with ball for two yards. Wow, my HB just got bent completely in half, and got up. Now he just ran through a wall and disappeared while I was choosing my next play. Don't worry, he's back. My silly little gumby, can run through walls, guy. This gameplay is pretty good, improved even. This is funny, everytime I run a play, Phil Simms and Jim Nantz pull off a boring replay, which requires me to hold down the x button for 4 seconds before it lets me choos my next play. After 20 plays this 4 seconds seems like 4 minutes. Let me see, maybe I can shut this off in the settings. Nope, I can't. Gonna half to live with it I guess. Week 5 is over, my team is 5 and 0 and all I get is the same, repetetive twitter feedback from some famous broadcast jounalists. Let me see what one of these people are saying. " Tom Brady played almost perfect against the Jets on Sunday #Patriots win". No crap, he did, he threw for 475 yards with Gronk receiving 450 of'em and threw 7 touchdowns, smashing the Jets 63-0. WTF? why don't these cpu journalists recognize? Bottom line, and to be fair, I didn't play online in any mode, and haven't partaken in the ultimate madden card game where EA tries to take more of my money to buy cards. After the initial "Wow this is new", the game quickly becomes same old Madden and the flaws start to show. My biggest gripe and it hasn't changed since 2005, why can't they just present the game better. The gameplay is fine, the graphics are great, but there is something about the execution of it all that doesn't sit right with me. I don't like the new career modes. Actually, the create a superstar like mode, is most improved this year, however, they kind of painted it on the franchise mode as well, all the while removing single season mode. I feel like EA is really pushing for gamers to take this whole thing online, because you can play your franchise through other players, and your superstar as well. This bodes well for gamers that play this game online alot, and have been pushing for this sort of MMO Madden. But for those of us that arent' into getting our butts whipped every time we play one of you, it stinks. I feel like we are slowly being abandoned. Like I stated before, the game plays very good during single player, with my only gripe being that generic canned presentation that hasn't evolved since 2005. How did 2K do it with all their sports games, but EA can't do it with any of theirs? As much as 2K baseball suck,at least the presentation is great. For me, that goes a long way. For others maybe not. For all they put into the new style, it still boggles my mind why there can't be more input into the half time stats, or a sideline reporter who hocks one up to one of the coaches. Why did they get rid of the post week show where they would break down the weeks games,when all they had to do was improve it? It's a brand new Madden this year, with brand new stuff that is great ala the new animation system, but with brand new issues. Like every year, Madden 13 gets you to the Playoffs, then loses in the Super Bowl..... Expand
  3. Sep 1, 2012
    Madden 13 does some new things. A new engine, a new career mode, and a new presentation style that looks a lot like CBS Sports. The engine has its moments, like when you make a cool new tackle. But it also comes with some problems, mostly having to do with players getting up from being tackled or knocked over. The career mode sounds good, but it isn't as fun as you think. Madden 13 isMadden 13 does some new things. A new engine, a new career mode, and a new presentation style that looks a lot like CBS Sports. The engine has its moments, like when you make a cool new tackle. But it also comes with some problems, mostly having to do with players getting up from being tackled or knocked over. The career mode sounds good, but it isn't as fun as you think. Madden 13 is still a good, but not great, game of football. You will probably still buy it. Expand
  4. Nov 9, 2012
    Well there's just not much to say about this year's edition. It gets a nice good 6 because the gameplay is improved. Other than that, the Franchise mode of years past is dead. And so dies my pre-order of next year's Madden.
  5. Nov 1, 2012
    The game play of this madden is the best in the franchise. Where this game fails is everywhere else. I am tired of how they keep taking away the off the field features. I miss NFL2k where you got a house and played mini games in your house etc... Look at the NBA 2K series its my player feature is the most amazing single player experience in a sport game ever. Go rent it play it and youThe game play of this madden is the best in the franchise. Where this game fails is everywhere else. I am tired of how they keep taking away the off the field features. I miss NFL2k where you got a house and played mini games in your house etc... Look at the NBA 2K series its my player feature is the most amazing single player experience in a sport game ever. Go rent it play it and you will agree, i hate basketball and still play it just for the my player mode it is that good. They need to put in more announcers in madden. If you have a sunday night game have the sunday night announcers and if a monday night game have the monday night announcers and etc.... that would really help with the feeling of overly repeating announcers. This year is the worst for that, they announcers say the same things over and over and over. Madden has figured out the on field game play they need to fix everything else! Expand
  6. Aug 27, 2013
    User will add words and impressions at a later time. Madden NFL 13 is the latest in the Madden franchise and is the 8th version to release on the Playstation 3.
  7. Dec 2, 2012
    Before buying this game, the last Madden game I played was back in 2005 when I was a kid. Even then, I favored NFL 2K5 over this game. Once I heard EA bought the NFL licence, I pretty much quit football games. So then what brought me back into the series you may ask? Well, for 2 reasons: 1) My friend begged me to get the game after I repeatedly beat him in 2k12 and 2) I wanted to see howBefore buying this game, the last Madden game I played was back in 2005 when I was a kid. Even then, I favored NFL 2K5 over this game. Once I heard EA bought the NFL licence, I pretty much quit football games. So then what brought me back into the series you may ask? Well, for 2 reasons: 1) My friend begged me to get the game after I repeatedly beat him in 2k12 and 2) I wanted to see how the game was going personally. I have seen gameplay of the game and have continuously face-palmed with what they've added and removed from the game. So coming to this game I decided that I wasn't going to look at any preview trailers to give the game a fair shake. And to be honest, it didn't matter.

First of all, they removed Franchise mode...huh? Yeah, instead they put in connected careers which I felt was a bit..unusual. I played though three player careers and a low draft pick QB behind Peyton Manning. The result: I struggled to increase my rating and Mr.Manning still didn't want to retire even after winning the super bowl against the Eagles (don't ask how). I wanted to see if I could change my position since I made my player more of a scrambler, but I couldn't. Even so, I found navigating the menus were a bit of a challenge. Since Manning didn't want to stop yet, I opted for a trade to the Patriots since Tom Brady already retired. I couldn't find it. I recommend it you're going to play this game mode, either be a low draft pick for a position that many players don't excel at or be a high draft pick or else you will never see the field.

I won't go into other game modes like Ultimate Team because I've never played a mode like that in Madden before so go look up the game mode on YouTube to see a brief overview. However, what I will tell you about is how bad the gameplay has become of Madden. Let me first start off in saying, "Who's idea was it to make Madden more realistic?" The physics engine they imported from FIFA is complete rubbish. Many times the engine screws me over; like when I intercept a ball and my own 2 yard line, a small bump from my teammate made me down in the endzone resulting in a safety. The passing this game is still inacurate at times. You know you have to tap the button the lob and hold it to bullet the pass? It's still hard to find that sweet spot in the middle; even for elite quarterbacks like Matt Ryan. He's 95 overall and it's extremely difficult to make completions with him. If you ask me, scrambles like RG III and Cam Newton are better off in the this game. Speaking of rushing, it's stiff very hit and miss in this game. Especially when you try to cut inside. 9 times out of 10 you dude will either get tackled or trip over one of the linesmen. Staying on the topic of tacking, why do I find some players are like extremely difficult to tackle? Maurice Jones-Drew seems impossible; he can brush off 6-man pile ups and run all the way to the house. It's ridiculous.

But that's not the end of things, it's been 7-8 years since my last Madden, and the computer STILL cheats. There are times when my linesmen would act completely unaware of an upcoming rush and they would sack me the second I snap the ball. A lot of the time when I do screen passes, they won't work. However, they always work online, as well as quarterback sneaks. This happens especially at the end of the game when you would beat the computer 3 and out and you can possibly make a game-winning drive after a punt, but then the punter would kick it out on the 1 yard line. Yeah, like I'm suppose to believe that was a coincidence.

Then there are things are just completely unacceptable in this game that shouldn't even still be in this game. For example, the game freezes up very often. More often then not, when you call a TO the game freezes for a second. The also happens in loading screen, in menus, and sometimes during online. Which, might I continuously say, EA still hasn't fixed their servers. Several times the server will time out on me and make me lose key games. I was playing someone using the Broncos when I was using the Redskins, I was up 31-24 in the 3rd about the score in the endzone when for some reason, EA DC'd the game and gave my opponent the win. Which, might I add, people are still jerks online in Madden even back in 2005. Several times people would cuss me out for using teams like the Redskins or the Panthers or the Seehawks when they themselves would use elite teams. I also stumbled across a lag switcher and someone else using the Eagles that kept squib kicking it and somehow ended up with the ball every time and I couldn't combat it. I'm going to say that's another fault on the game, but it's really disheartening to see people abuse this game aspects.

At the end of the day, the game is once again overhyped and overrated. I've said year after year that NFL 2K5 is still better than the current Madden and it still is. The gameplay was on spec with all needed game modes and a head cam. 2K football is better than EA's.
  8. Sep 1, 2012
    The game play and physics are quite good compared previous games.

Graphics are a slight step up.

Some odd choices were made with the gutting of the franchise mode and lack of fantasy draft.
  9. Jan 7, 2013
    Game all together is a great game. Great graphics the next generation of madden. Ea tootook out some great part to the series. The change playbook roster changes import is gone so a few majors gone. My biggest issue is the fact that thd game itself likes to frreze after a season or two forcing me save and shut down the syatem or to lose all progress.

1. Oct 23, 2012
    Too much has been thrown in at once, and that grates on the overall enjoyment of the exceptional on-field action. [Dec 2012, p.104]
  2. The problem - and the reason Maddden doesn't creep into 9/10 territory - is the (Connected Careers) mode feels like a bets. [Nov 2012, p.113]
  3. Oct 2, 2012
    An essential purchase for owners of last year's Madden? Probably not but if you haven't tried this series yet, you're missing out. [Issue#223, p.79]