8.7

1. Jun 9, 2013
    First metal gear solid game I ever played, I bought this in 2013 and think its good for a 2008 game as many games I own that are from 2008 no longer impress me. The game was difficult to play at first as I progressed through the first mission but I eventually got the hang of it before I reached the end of that first mission. There is a lot of options while trying to be stealthy and I meanFirst metal gear solid game I ever played, I bought this in 2013 and think its good for a 2008 game as many games I own that are from 2008 no longer impress me. The game was difficult to play at first as I progressed through the first mission but I eventually got the hang of it before I reached the end of that first mission. There is a lot of options while trying to be stealthy and I mean a lot which makes missions more fun.
    The cut scenes are very long and even the shortest of them go on for a few minutes but the cinematic's are interesting even if I did not get it at first i eventually understood what was happening. If your into games that give you a load of options I recommend trying it.
  2. Apr 29, 2013
    Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots is very much into its own self importance. This does not really feel like a game but more an interactive movie. Out of the 22 hours to complete the game, I only spent 7 hours actually moving. I know this because at the end of the game there are stats of how long you spend prone, crouching and walking etc. The action in the game is very much whatMetal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots is very much into its own self importance. This does not really feel like a game but more an interactive movie. Out of the 22 hours to complete the game, I only spent 7 hours actually moving. I know this because at the end of the game there are stats of how long you spend prone, crouching and walking etc. The action in the game is very much what Metal Gear fans like with the classic formula still intact. Its just a shame that these are broken up by LONG video sequences that CANNOT be skipped. One scene i had to watch two or three times at 20 minutes each because I died. It was just painful. There is one really genius moment which fans of the original will spot and hopefully enjoy as much as I did.
    I cannot say this game is bad because it wasn't. But the story really took over what is meant to be a game. At times I began to really switch off to the story just because it felt like my life was being sucked away from the LONG LONG backwards and forwards conversations throughout the game.
    The serious serious fans of the series are likely to not have a bad word to say but if like me you just want to play a game then this just goes on for far to long. Playing only one third of a game does not sound right does it?
    I had such hopes of this game and its the reason i brought a PS3, but it left me very disappointed.
  3. RobW
    Sep 4, 2009
    Fantastic graphics, good gameplay and fairly non-linear objectives made the first few levels really enjoyable, but I quickly became increasingly frustrated with the volume and length of the cutscenes - if you were to take them all out, you'd find that there's hardly any actual "game" here at all. Some of the objectives aren't clear, and you have to keep repeating sections Fantastic graphics, good gameplay and fairly non-linear objectives made the first few levels really enjoyable, but I quickly became increasingly frustrated with the volume and length of the cutscenes - if you were to take them all out, you'd find that there's hardly any actual "game" here at all. Some of the objectives aren't clear, and you have to keep repeating sections over and over until you get it right. The bit where you get to play as Snake in MGS1 was genius though, but it just made me want to dig it out of the loft and play it through again rather than sit through any more of this pile of drivel. Expand
  4. Mar 9, 2013
    This game is overhyped. The story becomes ridicilious with all the Nano things, the bosses are boring and you do watch more than play, which is a big failure if you thinking about, that this actually is a game. Its big fan service with things like shadow moses included, has good graphics and also the gameplay is good but the things that i mention above just ruins a part of the game.
  5. Aug 30, 2010
    Metal Gear Solid 4 does a brilliant job of finishing off the Metal Gear Solid narrative, and a great gift to those who patiently absorbed every detail of the previous three games, but perhaps its best purpose is as a reminder of why most feature films are only two hours long.

Few film directors ever get to have their true visions realized in full, so why should it be any different for Hideo Kojima and the Metal Gear Solid team? Is it taken for granted that gamers have been trained to experience long stories over multiple sessions? Metal Gear Solid 4 is an incredible experience that throws the player into the greatest action film they have ever witnessed. It just has a terrible way of pulling the player out of that experience every 20 minutes or so, and plopping them down into the seat of someone watching an equally exhausting sci-fi flick by a self-serving director. During the action-hero sequences, the player is given many amazing gadgets and weapons to play with, only to have them plucked away moments later. In the end, it feels like there wasn't enough space on the cutting room floor for all of the game's excess narrative.
  6. JeffB
    Nov 6, 2009
    I was expecting a lot going into this game. It looked beautiful, the ratings were excellent and the game looked promising as a whole. And by the time the first cut scene was over and the controls were given to me I had decided that it was my favorite game of all time. From that point on however, it was all down hill. As the game progresses it loses more and more of its mature tone towards I was expecting a lot going into this game. It looked beautiful, the ratings were excellent and the game looked promising as a whole. And by the time the first cut scene was over and the controls were given to me I had decided that it was my favorite game of all time. From that point on however, it was all down hill. As the game progresses it loses more and more of its mature tone towards a theme that is absolutely idiotic. The characters are terrible, they look ridiculous and the conversations reminded me more of Pokemon than a video game. The are attempts at humor and pathetic and the game will interrupt you for basically no reason in some parts so it can play another idiotic cut scene that will likely take up another half hour of time you should be sneaking around. I have never seen a video game such as this in which almost every character is either unbelievably gay or just plain stupid. Snake is the only good character in this game and at some points I thought this only because the other characters were so unbelievably terrible. Despite these things however I played out the rest of the game hoping it would pass. Unfortunately however these things only got worse as the game played on. By the end you will have seen four crazy bitches scream for 20 minutes straight (which is honestly nothing more than irritating), You will have seen a monkey smoking, a full grown man crap his pants and then watch in disbelief as the game try's to make you laugh with fart jokes, a gay vampire dance like a ballerina as you repeatedly blow his brains out, an incredibly pale ninja guy fight with a sword in his mouth, the absolute worst attempt at romance I've ever seen a video game attempt during a shootout, and to top it off there will be a wedding at the end the is so unbelievably gay that I literally turned my system off because of. I hate to say it but in order to experience this game's good qualities you will have to survive being hit over the head with so many unbelievably stupid elements that the game will fall short as a whole. Expand
  7. DasV
    Dec 6, 2009
    MGS4 is very disappointing and the most overrated game I
  8. juanm
    Feb 9, 2010
    This game is what made me buy the PS3 instead of the XBOX 360, but after playing it all I can say is I'm glad for other PS3 exclusives. It's not a bad game, gameplay wise, but it's the story that's made previous metal gear games stand out, and this one just doesn't deliver. It's all fan service, and no substance. It feels more like Commando than James Bond.This game is what made me buy the PS3 instead of the XBOX 360, but after playing it all I can say is I'm glad for other PS3 exclusives. It's not a bad game, gameplay wise, but it's the story that's made previous metal gear games stand out, and this one just doesn't deliver. It's all fan service, and no substance. It feels more like Commando than James Bond. Characters routinely survive things that are definitely quite lethal, with no explanation other than Kojima wasn't ready for them to die. The core story, which would be quite good otherwise, is swallowed up by these shallow attempts to elicit emotion from the player. On top of that, there are hardly any new characters. The beauty and beast corps, while technically 4 characters, might as well be 1 character for all the similarities in their backstories and personalities. Only you have to listen to their stories 4 times. But my biggest gripe is a technical one. You have to install the game between each chapter. And doing so uninstalls the last chapter. So if you want to go back and replay a boss or segment of the game, you have to reinstall that chapter. Then, when you want to return to where you were before, you have to reinstall again. This gets very old very fast, and greatly diminishes the game's replay value. Not that there was that much to begin with. Expand
  9. aspentitan
    Jan 21, 2010
    I was guilty of buying this game because it was so highly rated so thought it necessary to post a negative review of this game here because I just couldn
  10. YerielH
    Mar 15, 2010
    I have alot to say about this game and this little space does not do me any good. Unfortunately MGS4 was a failure. I am a huge MGS fan and is probably the only games I ever play anymore, but this was wrong. A real fan would wake up and notice that Konjima is feeding us recycled plots and storylines. I suspect he did not write MGS4 at all or he did not write the series to from beginning I have alot to say about this game and this little space does not do me any good. Unfortunately MGS4 was a failure. I am a huge MGS fan and is probably the only games I ever play anymore, but this was wrong. A real fan would wake up and notice that Konjima is feeding us recycled plots and storylines. I suspect he did not write MGS4 at all or he did not write the series to from beginning to end before starting with MG but wrote as he went along and did not write MGS4 well at all. The game is graphically stunning and the controls are tight and it is by no means a un-enjoyably game, but Metal Gear Solid is a game based on gameplay intertwined with story. Hideo gave fans what they wanted a overdramatic, poorly written, self-aware story. I wanted to see Hideo write and produce a game that he wanted to make not a game he submissively gave to those who just wanted to see a ending. This does not deserve a perfect score by no means.!!! Expand
  11. Apr 11, 2012
    Metal Gear Solid 4 is a descent game, but one with some huge faults. The good stuff first: Great graphics, fun stealthy gameplay, epic boss fights... Basically, all the same stuff that made the old MGS games good. However, this is truly the game where you watch more then you play. Ten minutes of gameplay = thirty minutes of cut-scene or more. The older games had a good balance of play toMetal Gear Solid 4 is a descent game, but one with some huge faults. The good stuff first: Great graphics, fun stealthy gameplay, epic boss fights... Basically, all the same stuff that made the old MGS games good. However, this is truly the game where you watch more then you play. Ten minutes of gameplay = thirty minutes of cut-scene or more. The older games had a good balance of play to watch ratio. Metal Gear Solid 4 unbalances it to ridiculous proportions. That's not the only problem, either. The story and dialogue that you're forced to endlessly watch is ham-fisted, convoluted and confusing. It gets so wrapped up in it's own intricacies and technical details, that the bigger picture becomes diluted and difficult to understand. In the end, I found MGS4 to be a fun game with infuriating story components that came close to unraveling the whole package. I really think that Hideo Kojima needs to reel himself in and go back to basics for the next Solid Snake outing. Expand
  12. Jul 30, 2011
    great game-play. some of the best i have ever endured, but dear god is the story the most god-awful, border-line retarded, droll ridden, piece of **** i have ever experienced. i played this game through probably 8 times and did not watch one single cut scene. do you know why? because every cutscene is 20 minutes to 3 hours in length that back tracks on the most essential parts of the metalgreat game-play. some of the best i have ever endured, but dear god is the story the most god-awful, border-line retarded, droll ridden, piece of **** i have ever experienced. i played this game through probably 8 times and did not watch one single cut scene. do you know why? because every cutscene is 20 minutes to 3 hours in length that back tracks on the most essential parts of the metal gear story. not to mention you ride on the back of a motor cycle with your 90 year old mom shooting electronic bats (that is objectively retarded, do not evin begin to try to argue with me) and kojima feels compelled to go back to shadow moses because he obviously cant thin of any thing better to write and needs the nostalgia of a true classic to make up for his lack of effort with MGS 2-4. by the way, "lets make snake 70 years old because of the nanomachines so we can hurry up and finish the story because we cant think of **** else to write." once again, gameplay: worth buying (A+), story: an abomination of epic proportions (ruthlessly homosexual, F-) Expand
  13. Oct 15, 2012
    Los primeros actos son soberbios, plagados de escenarios increibles y objetivos variados.
    El problema llega a partir de Europa ya el juego se convierte en un video interactivo en el que, para explicarte la enrevesadisima trama del juego, se suceden y suceden secuencias de video, algunas de ellas tan innecesarias como vergonzosas o pateticas (la boda, por ejemplo).
    Los gráficos son
    Los gráficos son de lo mejorcito aun hoy en día y el sonido no se queda atrás así como los controles, completamente renovados y con muchas posibilidades.
    Al final del juego te da la impresión de que te has pasado casi tanto tiempo viendo videos como jugando aunque si eres fan de la saga lo sabrás perdonar ya que se cierran muchos interrogantes de la trama que nos enganchó ya desde PSone. A Kojima se le ha ido totalmente la mano pero aun así los seguidores de la saga lo disfrutaran y mucho.
    GRAFICOS: 10 SONIDO: 8 DIVERSION: 7,5 DURACION: 7
  14. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overrated. That's one word to describe the experience I had with this game. It's not bad, mind you but it has some "identity crisis". Having the game split in chapters with different locations is a bad idea because instead of having places that feel like places, we have areas that look like levels of a game, with conveniently placed walls.
    Take the jungle of mg3, the whole world feels connected, you feel like you are "exploring" the area and not just "move from point A to point B".
    I mentioned "identity crisis" because this game seems to not be able to decide whether it's trying to tell a new tale or it's trying to mimic key moments from previous games. I felt like I was watching a bad scripted series finale of a tv show in which all the actors available appear for no reason other that:"it's the ending I want to be there". Trying to connect all the people involved could have been great but it feels forced, some plot points happen just because they need to make supporting characters do something.
    Then we have cutscenes, dear lord, really, I would have edited out at least 15 minutes from each cutscene, or at least I would have made playable somehow.
    The worst offenders are the boss fights with B&B, the game expects us to feel sympathetic towards the enemy but... after a boss fight where my first thought is "save, I want to save!" I must suffer a stock "tragic backstory" via Codec. This is not how you make a character likable or multi dimensional, this is how you make a character even more boring.
    Another thing that I just didn't get is Psycho Mantis, why does he show up? What's his purpose? I thought he became good in mgs1 why he is saying generic monologues? In the end I didn't get half of what' was going on,events for me happened just because they needed to include other characters or because they wanted to make cool action scenes.
    Even the ending could have been heartwarming instead I got an extremely boring and confusing summary of the plot in which the world "zero" was repeated so many times that i stopped caring after a few minutes.
    In the end, I don't hate this game, but I can enjoy it if I don't mind some weird design/plot choices. It's just not the masterpiece everybody is praising about.
  15. Oct 18, 2013
    Im sorry. i tried to liked this game. but i cant
    its horrible.
    i missed the stealth gameplay
    Metal gear solid is "TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION"
    NOT A "FUTURE WARFARE ACTION"
    the bosses aren deep
    the dialogs are so stupid
    and the plot is very absurd.
    kojima what did you smoke? you spent.
    this games is overrated just for being a ps3 exclusive
    and the last game of the story
  16. ScottF
    Mar 30, 2010
    I really wanted to like this game. I loved MGS1 & 2 as they featured lots of tight stealth action. However, I found MGS4 left me cold. Instead of sneaking correctly through the more open ended levels, I found it easier to just run through in the open in a dash to the next checkpoint. I found the cutscenes stupidly long, and excruciatingly boring. Whats the fun in playing for 5 minutes, I really wanted to like this game. I loved MGS1 & 2 as they featured lots of tight stealth action. However, I found MGS4 left me cold. Instead of sneaking correctly through the more open ended levels, I found it easier to just run through in the open in a dash to the next checkpoint. I found the cutscenes stupidly long, and excruciatingly boring. Whats the fun in playing for 5 minutes, and then watching a mind numbing 20 minute cut scene? Another 5 mins of playtime, and another 20 mins of putting the pad down and twiddling your thumbs? It'a an absolute mess of pacing. The game is technically very sound, and if you are a big MGS fan you might be able to put up with it and enjoy it. But for non series fans, and people who actually want to PLAY a video game, and not just stare at cut scenes, steer clear. Expand
  17. Spartan
    Jun 19, 2008
    This is the part where like every single other person here I either show I'm a PS3 fanboy and rate it 10 or show I'm 360/Wii fanboy (both good consoles to) and rate it 0. Yet since I'm neither I'll split the difference and give it a 5.
  18. Jul 4, 2012
    A great homage to the whole series. The bosses were familiar while interesting, and the gameplay was refined to a tee. Unfortunately, the gameplay takes a back-seat to the story, which makes up the bulk of what should have been a much longer and better paced game. Simply making this game longer or perhaps releasing it later would have provided a much more sufficient game to movie ratio.
  19. Dec 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In terms of game play this game would be a 9 out of ten. mostly because it did not reward stealth as much as the other MGS games. it is the story and Raiden that bring this game down. at the end of mgs2 you felt helpless. the enemy was so much bigger than you could imagine. then in mgs4 it was just two old guys fighting each other. and explaining all the supernatural stuff with nano machines was just bad. plus they took innocent Raiden and tried to make him a bad ass. I loved innocent Raiden. Expand
  20. CraigF
    Nov 3, 2008
    Great graphics and sound, but if I wanted to watch a movie I would have. The amount and length of cut scenes is insane and should be included on a separate disc to watch at your leisure. The game play is great and has been improved since the previous games, but you must know what happened in the older games to understand everything going on here. Overall I only gave if a 5 because I was Great graphics and sound, but if I wanted to watch a movie I would have. The amount and length of cut scenes is insane and should be included on a separate disc to watch at your leisure. The game play is great and has been improved since the previous games, but you must know what happened in the older games to understand everything going on here. Overall I only gave if a 5 because I was disappointed at the amount of time wasted playing it. Expand
  21. May 4, 2011
    For it's time, I thought Metal Gear Solid for the Playstation was one of the more engrossing and involving games of it's time. I couldn't put down the controller, and enjoyed every cutscene, every codec, and all the gameplay throughout.
    Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 came out, and the gameplay changed slightly, and while it they were pretty great games, the plot became more convoluted...and the dialogue just got **** and ****.

MSG4 was a disappointment to me...and a large fan of the series. The dialogue is pretty terrible. I cannot fathom why the writers kept having Snake keep on repeating what people were telling him in the form of the question. "It was the Patriots, Snake." "The Patriots!?" This happens MULTIPLE times throughout the game. The dialogue was honestly eye-rolling...it was corny, and disappointing.
    Anyway...the game is worth the $30.00 I paid for it used. Pick it up...enjoy it as much as you can, because to make it through the exaggerated dialogue and trite cutscenes took every ounce of needing closure to the series as I could muster.
  22. Aug 18, 2011
    Good music, graphicsand online play, decent story, bad gameplay. The gameplay consists of running from cutscene to cutscene, the game holding your hand the whole way through. This game was a huge disappointment compared to MGS3, but it is decent enough. I'm glad I bought the Greatest Hits version for $20.00, otherwise I would probably feel ripped off.
  23. Nov 16, 2011
    I am not a fan of this series, but not for a lack of trying. I have heard great things about this game and for the most part I thought the story in this game was great... maybe too great. many times throughout the game, I kept thinking to myself, when is the next cutscene going to happen, and not care that much for the gameplay. That is never a good thing. I was so bored throughout theI am not a fan of this series, but not for a lack of trying. I have heard great things about this game and for the most part I thought the story in this game was great... maybe too great. many times throughout the game, I kept thinking to myself, when is the next cutscene going to happen, and not care that much for the gameplay. That is never a good thing. I was so bored throughout the constant sneaking and crawling that I almost wanted to get caught, I probably shouldn't be complaining about a lack of conflict in a stealth game, but when sneaking around is this boring, the game developers have done something wrong. Why were there so few enemies to sneak past in this game, there was a point in the game where I didn't come across any enemies for what seemed like a full half hour. I was just crawling in an empty jungle. Even as the game got better at Act 3, Act 4 came along and through me in a blizzard and gave me no direction to go in (and of course the only enemies I find are the giant, two-legged, mooing robots). Not to mention this series is to meta for me to have any sense of immersion. I was very aware that I was playing a video game and that is never a good thing. Video games are a lot like movies or books, they need to take you to places that you could only dream about. There was some good to the game, though. I liked the story, even though I didn't feel much for the characters (but I could tell there was a lot of history here), Act 3 was great, and the bosses were all sorts of creative. But I just feel like this game wasn't ment for me. Fans of this franchise will enjoy this game for many years, but I couldn't care less. I'll just go on youtube, watch the cutscenes, and call it a day. Expand
  24. Sep 10, 2011
    I can see why people love MGS4, but for me, I can't. As much as I like video games with stories, MGS4 takes it to a whole new level. MGS2 is my favorite in the series, I never got my hands on 1, but 2 and 3 are great games and highly recommend them... but when I picked this up, this game put me to sleep. The cut scenes were so long, I actually took a nap... Then you have to install theI can see why people love MGS4, but for me, I can't. As much as I like video games with stories, MGS4 takes it to a whole new level. MGS2 is my favorite in the series, I never got my hands on 1, but 2 and 3 are great games and highly recommend them... but when I picked this up, this game put me to sleep. The cut scenes were so long, I actually took a nap... Then you have to install the different chapters onto your PS3 and you can only have one at a time, so either you load Chapter 1, then load 2, and if you wanna go to another save file, you gotta load Chapter 5... it's complete hell. But through all this garbage, MGS4 does have a decent multiplayer that'll keep you hooked for about 1 hour, and the gameplay is fun in Singleplayer and is a MGS in the end so you can't really go wrong there. But when the game makes the player wait 30 minutes to actually interact with the game and actually play it, I can't call it a game. Metal Gear Solid 4 is an interactive movie. You spend more time, trying to follow a story that makes little to no sense, than you do actually shooting bad guys. I could go on and on about how much I'm disappointed in the game because it drove me insane, and there are a lot of combat elements that are realistic and fun, but the actual "GAME", just sucks. Expand
  25. AdamAnonymous
    May 28, 2008
    After going through the beta I found it to be a disappointment. The graphics are of a good standard but I wouldn't claim it as the best of the current gen, visually. I found the actual gameplay to be rather choppy and there was far too many cut scenes which can often be annoying. It reminds me some what of a movie experience, but unfortunately it didn't resemble the interactiveAfter going through the beta I found it to be a disappointment. The graphics are of a good standard but I wouldn't claim it as the best of the current gen, visually. I found the actual gameplay to be rather choppy and there was far too many cut scenes which can often be annoying. It reminds me some what of a movie experience, but unfortunately it didn't resemble the interactive masterpiece that I was hoping for. I am giving thbis game a six, it doesn't deserve lower because it isn't a bad game..it's just a bit average. Expand
  26. BenW.
    Jun 12, 2008
    Install times are annoying. Some cut scenes are way too long, and provide nothing to the MAIN plot. Controls could be a lot better.
  27. ElliottP.
    Jun 13, 2008
    This game is a lot less than it could've been. I'm sorry to see that too, since it's the last game in the saga. Oh well.
  28. KeithC.
    Jun 13, 2008
    The movement of the character is not smooth at all... I don't understand why this game must be on a blue ray disc.
  29. HarniqS.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Good game but horribly overrated/overhyped. The biggest problem is it's niche market. Whilst it might cater to some people, it won't bring new people to the series nor be a huge system seller. After the most likely lackluster sales, it might even come to the 360 so no rush for a PS3.
  30. SamB.
    Jun 20, 2008
    I've never encountered a game that seems so intent on keeping the player from actually playing the game. "Immersion" does not involve taking the player out of the action for 30+ minutes at a time.
  31. JohnR.
    Aug 1, 2008
    I will start out by saying that I've been a fan of this series since the first iteration of it on NES. With each passing game I've found the story to get more and more confusing. Now, after playing 4, to me it is an outright mess. It's hard to gauge how much I enjoy a game (or series for that matter) when I feel I have such a weak grasp on what is going on. I am a college I will start out by saying that I've been a fan of this series since the first iteration of it on NES. With each passing game I've found the story to get more and more confusing. Now, after playing 4, to me it is an outright mess. It's hard to gauge how much I enjoy a game (or series for that matter) when I feel I have such a weak grasp on what is going on. I am a college graduate with a Masters degree, so I'm not some illiterate person who doesn't have the ability to grasp ideas and or things I read. Gameplay wise, to me it was fun, but I really don't see myself playing this game again like I've done with Metal Gear Solid several times. And I honestly challenge anyone to please explain to me the story from start to finish. Maybe then I'll gain a new respect for the series. Until then, I will be lost. Anyone else out there feel the same way? Expand
  32. GP
    Aug 6, 2008
    Boring. Terrible AI. Too Easy. Too Short. Too much loading. Too much product placement. A clever game, with beautiful cinematic, but this isn't a film its a game. Pretty cut scenes do not make up for shitty gameplay. Very much a fan game. Big warning here readers, If you're new to the series don't play MGS4. Play MGS1 and if you like it go from there. Newcomers will likely Boring. Terrible AI. Too Easy. Too Short. Too much loading. Too much product placement. A clever game, with beautiful cinematic, but this isn't a film its a game. Pretty cut scenes do not make up for shitty gameplay. Very much a fan game. Big warning here readers, If you're new to the series don't play MGS4. Play MGS1 and if you like it go from there. Newcomers will likely to be nothing but disappointed with their purchase. Expand
  33. LeventeP.
    Nov 5, 2008
    I really found this to be the worst metal gear yet by far. Most of the cutsceens are really boring and too long, its actually longer than the playable part of the game. The guns look horrible in the the game and the AI is just laughable ,worst i seen in a game. I still give it a 5 because it is worth playing through once and there are some ok joke in some of the cutsceens. Finally the I really found this to be the worst metal gear yet by far. Most of the cutsceens are really boring and too long, its actually longer than the playable part of the game. The guns look horrible in the the game and the AI is just laughable ,worst i seen in a game. I still give it a 5 because it is worth playing through once and there are some ok joke in some of the cutsceens. Finally the online aspect is the worst online game i ever played i have no idea that people are still playing this garbage. I tried every game type for no longer than 5 minutes just sad. Expand
  34. Jimbo
    Jun 28, 2008
    Could have been soo good but it turned out to completely ridiculous.
  35. ZeroG.
    Jul 8, 2008
    Limited control of the character, small environments, incredibly tightly constrained and scripted plot and dated character capabilities make this feel like a modern technology remake of MGS1. Sure, it's pretty and the fanboys will love all the plot devlopment through endless moody cutscenes, but it's still dull and rather frustrating. There are a great many better stealth games Limited control of the character, small environments, incredibly tightly constrained and scripted plot and dated character capabilities make this feel like a modern technology remake of MGS1. Sure, it's pretty and the fanboys will love all the plot devlopment through endless moody cutscenes, but it's still dull and rather frustrating. There are a great many better stealth games than this. Expand
  36. DavidF.
    Aug 12, 2008
    Don't look at it as a game, because it isn't. Splendid graphics, boring cinematics, poor story, null gameplay.
  37. ChadS
    Aug 9, 2008
    I agree completely with 8ballz wilson. I just couldn't get into this game with the looooooong cutscenes, learning curve, and not even an ability to jump. Maybe because I had no interest in the drawn out, complex story that didn't help my opinion, but I just had no fun playing this game, nor the time to sit through the long cutscenes. I know I could skip through every one, but I agree completely with 8ballz wilson. I just couldn't get into this game with the looooooong cutscenes, learning curve, and not even an ability to jump. Maybe because I had no interest in the drawn out, complex story that didn't help my opinion, but I just had no fun playing this game, nor the time to sit through the long cutscenes. I know I could skip through every one, but there were just so MANY cutscenes, hitting start then skip got old real quickly. Sorry MGS4 fanboys, I'll stick with my opinion of Uncharted: Drakes Fortune being the best game on the PS3 so far. Expand
  38. michaelk
    Oct 21, 2009
    i really struggle to understand how everyone rates this game so highly i found the controles clunky and uncomfortable i thought the graphics while good wasn't up to the standard set by other AAA games and the whole premis was dated the stealth gameplay used in mg4 hasn't really evolved much from the ps1 your still dealing with poor ai gaurds with a cone of vision that follow pre i really struggle to understand how everyone rates this game so highly i found the controles clunky and uncomfortable i thought the graphics while good wasn't up to the standard set by other AAA games and the whole premis was dated the stealth gameplay used in mg4 hasn't really evolved much from the ps1 your still dealing with poor ai gaurds with a cone of vision that follow pre scripted paths but far and away the worst thing about this game is the terrible story and the crazy amount of time you spend watching these none interactive (well you can move the camera) cutscenes i almost began to feel embarressed for the team who made this game as they increasingly went to more and more insane ways to try and past over the cracks in the story until the finnal cutscene that last an almost an hour ok i'm sorry i ranted on more than i intended to with this but i really think there needs to be a conflicting opinion to all the gushing and imao unjustified fan service this game is getting Expand
  39. casej
    May 1, 2009
    I think kojima failed to do what he wanted to do this game He made it very dialogue heavy but they dialogue is VERY poorly written. it isnt cool, doesnt develop character or keep us intersted in the story with questions that we want answered or anything useful really. It just yaks on and on with military jargon about random military stuff. it is way to overly focused on the setting. which I think kojima failed to do what he wanted to do this game He made it very dialogue heavy but they dialogue is VERY poorly written. it isnt cool, doesnt develop character or keep us intersted in the story with questions that we want answered or anything useful really. It just yaks on and on with military jargon about random military stuff. it is way to overly focused on the setting. which was already handled fairly well BEFORE they started talking. Compare that to metal gear solid where it does all of those things well. shoulda tried to be more cheezy action action movielike, 4 went overly serious and it didn't have the writers for it. The characters actually had intersting stuff to say back then, i wanted to talk to all of the codec people to see what interesting things they had to say, now i just want them to shut up and let me play. The stealth elements of the game are done well in game, but the number and length of cut scenes reduces the intensity of the sneaking. it gives you too many breaks and totally destroys the pacing and numbs alot of the excitement of the game. They also shouldnt have made old snake seem so old, like senile old. not appearance wise that was ok, but dialogue wise, it felt like everyone was looking down on him like he didn't understand anything. it was sad. I can kinda see what he wanted to do but kojima had the wrong writer and cutscene people for that, this game is a below average game at best and I cant give it any more than that. Expand
  40. TimG
    Jun 7, 2009
    It's not even a bad game; it's barely a game, and it aspires to badness. While the disc is in your PS3, you will spend the vast majority of your time watching endless boring cutscenes with terrible dialogue. The game allows you to play for only brief moments before it gets back to cutscenes that go on and on with nothing interesting to say. Most of the time, you will want Snake It's not even a bad game; it's barely a game, and it aspires to badness. While the disc is in your PS3, you will spend the vast majority of your time watching endless boring cutscenes with terrible dialogue. The game allows you to play for only brief moments before it gets back to cutscenes that go on and on with nothing interesting to say. Most of the time, you will want Snake to just stop grunting and shoot whatever is appearing in a drawn-out sequence with an eye-bleedingly awful pixel shader "bleach" effect. Expand
  41. JamesO'Reilly
    Jun 13, 2008
    Not the game I expected it to be. The cutscenes are long and annoying, and the gameplay is a bit outdated. It follows the MGS standard, but doesn't really improve on it, and the series did need to improve on it's gameplay a bit to keep up with the times. It's a good game, but not great.
  42. GregW
    Jul 23, 2008
    Graphics, gameplay and music are fantastic, but the story and voice acting is flat out terrible. The character development is lacking and it reeks of cheap anime forumulas. (Japanese schoolgirl in charge of the USS Missouri? Please.) Tell me, what's the point of having an arms dealer who provides you a large variety of ammo and weapons for purchase, if you're not supposed to use Graphics, gameplay and music are fantastic, but the story and voice acting is flat out terrible. The character development is lacking and it reeks of cheap anime forumulas. (Japanese schoolgirl in charge of the USS Missouri? Please.) Tell me, what's the point of having an arms dealer who provides you a large variety of ammo and weapons for purchase, if you're not supposed to use any of them in the game? It's a stealth game so you lose points for killing and being noisy. They tried to add underlying story to MGS1 and there were several pieces that caused huge plot holes. They do not attempt to bring newcomers to the series up to speed on the story. And the 300 different endings are so boring I feel asleep twice on two different nights trying to watch it. There are a lot of fanboys out there who will eat anything Hideo throws out there, but this is not the case. Fun game, but is nowhere close to the critical acclaim it received. Expand
  43. 8ballzwilson
    Jul 31, 2008
    I rented this and am new to the series. This game seems suited for the MGS fanboys. Not something you will pick up and play well the first couple hours. my main gripes are .. why can't Snake jump ? I constantly was held up by 18 inch boxes or crates. Also why is Snake sooo slow ? He runs slower than most game avatars walk. And why oh why is there so many lengthy drawn out cut scenes I rented this and am new to the series. This game seems suited for the MGS fanboys. Not something you will pick up and play well the first couple hours. my main gripes are .. why can't Snake jump ? I constantly was held up by 18 inch boxes or crates. Also why is Snake sooo slow ? He runs slower than most game avatars walk. And why oh why is there so many lengthy drawn out cut scenes ???? you will sit for 5 to 10 minutes some time to listen to a non sensical story. oh and double why do I have to load so much to my hard drive ? it still seems slow and you will be loading often. The graphics are killer but for me the action is slow and there are many options and features. So if you like this stuff go for it but if your new to this game I say rent it first. Expand
  44. Nov 30, 2010
    The general consensus seems to be: This game is either Hideoâ
  45. Oct 2, 2014
    Tengo un problema con esta saga. MGS y Snake Eater me parecen obras maestras, sin embargo cuando recuerdo MGS2 o este MGS4 veo muy poquito de esa genialidad. Hablando de esta cuarta entrega. La mayoría del juego se basa en abusar de personajes de otras entregas, que para colmo vuelven para fastidiar el buen recuerdo que tenías de ellos. Las cinemáticas larga, interminables y muchas vecesTengo un problema con esta saga. MGS y Snake Eater me parecen obras maestras, sin embargo cuando recuerdo MGS2 o este MGS4 veo muy poquito de esa genialidad. Hablando de esta cuarta entrega. La mayoría del juego se basa en abusar de personajes de otras entregas, que para colmo vuelven para fastidiar el buen recuerdo que tenías de ellos. Las cinemáticas larga, interminables y muchas veces pesadas. Momentos de vergüenza ajena o franco ridículo que pretenden ser emocionantes. Y en definitva una película- juego bastante rollo. Con cosas buenas, a veces brillantes, pero con mucha ida de olla de humor tonto y barato, desarrollo lento y pesado. Expand
  46. Feb 21, 2015
    I would easily give this game a 9 or possibly 10, if not for egregiously overlong cut scenes. This seems like a case of talented game maker and no one reeling him when has clearly gone a little overboard. This how this plays out. You go from checkpoint to checkpoint with about 10-15 mins of actual gameplay (which is excellent). Once you reach a checkpoint you are treated to then 10-15I would easily give this game a 9 or possibly 10, if not for egregiously overlong cut scenes. This seems like a case of talented game maker and no one reeling him when has clearly gone a little overboard. This how this plays out. You go from checkpoint to checkpoint with about 10-15 mins of actual gameplay (which is excellent). Once you reach a checkpoint you are treated to then 10-15 minute detailing you into the story. But the worst part is when you actual complete an act. At the end of the act lies a 10-15 minute cutscene then you have treated to a pre cut scene before your mission brief. Then you are given the mission brief. Then you are treated to another 10-15 minute before the next act starts. Then you must go through your codec briefing with ottocon. If you do not cut out any of the cut scenes you are literally not playing game for almost 30 minutes a stretch at times. Its mind boggling how someone thought this was a good idea. I do not buy a game to watch second rate actors read off second rate dialogue. That being the said the game itself is quiet addictive and all technology gizzmos you get are great..and the story itself is interesting. Expand
  47. Oct 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. WARNING: I will try to keep this review as spoiler free as possible. However, I may give away some story details so, SPOILER ALERT

Metal Gear Solid 4 is a good game. Don't get me wrong, I like the game. But is it as good as that Metacritic score of 94/100 makes you believe? No.

Let's start off with the pros. First of all, this game looks great. Yeah some of the textures are a bit off, but if THAT is the decisive factor that makes you go "Ugh, this game sucks", then you need to get out of gaming. Now. The animations are very fluid, the character models are great, and even the lip sync isn't all that bad. Yeah, there are a few instances were you notice that the mouth doesn't move according to the word, but this game came out in 2008. It did a fantastic job with what it had. (Some of) The gameplay elements are worthy of commendation as well. Snake can (FINALLY) move while crouched, and a lot of the problems in MGS3 are greatly streamlined in MGS4. Camouflage is handled brilliantly in this game, with the new automatic OctoCamo system. No more fiddling around in menus in this one. The Solid Eye is also a great addition, combining multiple functions in one handy gadget. The enviroments are (for the most part) pretty creative and well realized, and even like the concept of the story. War has become a business that holds the global economy together, and through war The Patriots have essentially achieved world domination. It's a very good summary. Couple that with some interesting ideas, such as Snake's accelerated aging, and there is a lot to like about this game.

Sadly, not everything is good. Let's start off with one of my biggest problems with the game: The Story. Im one of the people who play Metal Gear games for their story first and foremost. And unfortunately the story does not deliver on a lot of different levels. While some of the ideas are good, their execution is sloppy at best, and at worst it's just terrible. On top of that, there are several plot holes that really take away from the experience. For example, Meryl states that she can communicate with her team through the nanomachines in their bodies. However it is later revealed that Johnny does not have nanos. That's fair enough, but why does Meryl look so surprised? She should have known that Johnny didnt have nanos the mometn she couldn't communicate with him. While we're on the subject, why is Johnny even in the game? I mean, I understand that his inclusion is tradition at this point, but Jesus Christ, he doesn't need to be in the game to the extent that he is. This brings me to another topic I would like to discuss. A lot of the returning characters in MGS4 have no reason to be there. Im not talking about people like Raiden or Naomi, Im talking about the likes of EVA and Vamp. Think about it. The whole point of going to Eastern Europe in the first place is to get the equipement that can heal Raiden. However once you get there, Otacon calls you and says "Oh Raiden is fine. We got the equipement from this completely unecessary returning character, that most people don't even know to begin with. Still, go meet Big Momma, because... REASONS".

Another thing that bothers me big time about this game is the fan service. It's one thing to be self referential (like the previous games were) but it's another to go all out and bring every character under the sun, and make every possible reference, and have ridiculous bits (like Snake going into Eastern Europe in a Young Snake disguise) just to please fans.

Last but not least let's talk about the cutscenes. Before I get started, let me tell you that I LOVE the cutscenes of MGS1, 2 and 3. They are super entertaining, and I never skip them. MGS4 has a lot of cutscenes, yes, but that's not the problem. The problem is how BORING some of them are. Im giving Act 3 a hard time, but it's my review so shut up. Take the final cutscene of Act 3 for example. It is 72 minutes long. That's a very long time, but the problem isn't the 72 minutes, the problem is the fact that this thing could have been trimmed down by about 50/60 minutes, without any detrimental impact to the story. Another particular pet pieve of mine is the final "Epilogue" Act. It takes 75 minutes to wrap things up in a nice bow. The problem is that, by my estimative, it could have been trimmed down to around half an hour.

So overall, MGS4 is a good game. It looks very good, It has some nice ideas, and the gameplay for the first two acts is very "Solid" (sorry, I couldnt resist). BUT, from Act 3 onwards, the gameplay takes a backseat to a poor story and a load of fan service, and it suffers because of it. It's a damn shame, because this could have been the best game in the series. As it stands though, it's a nice "tribute" with a few good ideas.

VEREDICT: 7 out of 10
  48. Dec 2, 2014
    I was a huge MGS fan back in the day and this game makes me scared to go back and play them because honestly I don't find the gameplay fun and trying to understand what is going on in the story is about as hard as reading 18th century literature when you're in American high school. The pacing of gameplay to cutscene is terrible. I don't mind the amount and length of cutscenes as much asI was a huge MGS fan back in the day and this game makes me scared to go back and play them because honestly I don't find the gameplay fun and trying to understand what is going on in the story is about as hard as reading 18th century literature when you're in American high school. The pacing of gameplay to cutscene is terrible. I don't mind the amount and length of cutscenes as much as other people but what gets to me is you watch a cutscene, walk down a hallway, and bam; another cutscene. Cutscenes are rewards for completing levels. These cutscenes are like giving trophies to kids who came in last place and declaring that we are all winners. I played about 10 hours. I probably won't play anymore. Maybe I'll watch the rest of youtube so I can have closure. Expand
  49. Aug 12, 2015
    I look and at the reviews and wonder... is this really what impresses the metal gear solid fans? A tedious, sub-par action game? This is not what Metal Gear is about. What we really have here is Kojima recognizing that all gamers want nowadays want is giant dumb robot battles, cool cybernetic robot ninja dudes, fan service, and comic relief characters? If you want a true metal gear gameI look and at the reviews and wonder... is this really what impresses the metal gear solid fans? A tedious, sub-par action game? This is not what Metal Gear is about. What we really have here is Kojima recognizing that all gamers want nowadays want is giant dumb robot battles, cool cybernetic robot ninja dudes, fan service, and comic relief characters? If you want a true metal gear game spun from Kojima's own personal direction and imagination, play MGS:2. Expand
  50. Mar 25, 2015
    Only two Acts out of five offer interesting gameplay. Stealth options are being increasingly taken away or not needed. I don't mind lengthy cutscenes, but there's just not too much game to talk about. Bad game design galore (Drebin's shop available mid-battles?).
  51. AnonymousMC
    Oct 28, 2008
    MGS 4 is an okay game. While the story is gripping the game play lacks as there isn't enough of it. The problem with this game isn't the game play it's the over use of cutscenes. The story is told with an average cutscene time of 35 minutes. While I love the MGS series this one was a step back instead of a step forward. MGS 3: Snake Eater is still the best in this series.MGS 4 is an okay game. While the story is gripping the game play lacks as there isn't enough of it. The problem with this game isn't the game play it's the over use of cutscenes. The story is told with an average cutscene time of 35 minutes. While I love the MGS series this one was a step back instead of a step forward. MGS 3: Snake Eater is still the best in this series. Buy only if you are a die hard MGS fan. Otherwise you money is well spent elsewhere. Expand
  52. ML.
    Aug 10, 2008
    Well, the gameplay is rather nice. BUT! There are far too many cutscenes and movies. I really do think I spent more time watching th movies, than I did playing the game. Without the cutscenes, the game is pretty short... I actually feel a little cheated, from them using so much "filler".
  53. JRT.
    Jun 27, 2008
    Video is great...the game is fun 70% of the time, however the guns are not Supper accurate you have a circle as your pointer with no definitive kill point the circle just has to be on whatever you are killing. I also do not like when you go to select an item it stops the game then you have to scroll through all of your items put the item in the use slot then after all of that you then get Video is great...the game is fun 70% of the time, however the guns are not Supper accurate you have a circle as your pointer with no definitive kill point the circle just has to be on whatever you are killing. I also do not like when you go to select an item it stops the game then you have to scroll through all of your items put the item in the use slot then after all of that you then get to play up to the point where you need another item and you have to stop the game and do it over and over. How many of you can carry a 55 gallon drum around in your pocket along with all of your guns ammo MRE Expand
  54. RicoD.
    Jul 1, 2008
    Yes its a good game but would being able to jump be too difficult? Snake can not climb a 3ft wall and is nowhere as agile as a Lara Croft. Its a shame the environment is so rigid and not a sandbox level where alternate strategies can be employed. Shoot an enemy and in a minute their gun will disappear leaving the body, bit odd that do they evaporate or something?
  55. TravisS.
    Jul 9, 2008
    Very artistic game. Set in the future it is fun to play the last chapter in snakes adventures. The "OctoCamo" is quite fun to play with and over the tech in the game is very pleasing. There was some times were the cut seens were a bit to long and to much time in between action. Online mode was a bust for me, it turns out you have to get some Konami ID thing and I did not go to the Very artistic game. Set in the future it is fun to play the last chapter in snakes adventures. The "OctoCamo" is quite fun to play with and over the tech in the game is very pleasing. There was some times were the cut seens were a bit to long and to much time in between action. Online mode was a bust for me, it turns out you have to get some Konami ID thing and I did not go to the trouble. Over all once you beat the single player it is worthless. Expand
  56. ChrisK.
    Aug 27, 2008
    There are just too many cutscenes in MGS4, way way way too many and they're too long. When you sit down and watch all of them in a playthrough you aren't so much playing a game as you are watching a really long and fairly confusing movie that sometimes requires you to play a videogame in order to get to the next part. The truly irritating thing though is most of them are long in There are just too many cutscenes in MGS4, way way way too many and they're too long. When you sit down and watch all of them in a playthrough you aren't so much playing a game as you are watching a really long and fairly confusing movie that sometimes requires you to play a videogame in order to get to the next part. The truly irritating thing though is most of them are long in stupid ways, there's a hell of a lot of information being conveyed but excruciatingly slowly and redundantly, most cutscenes are just two people talking and despite the fact that they're usually talking in a warzone and talking about how urgent various things are they're talking with all the speed and urgency of two guys sitting out in a fishing boat drinking beer on a lazy Saturday afternoon. Then every two or three lines someone pauses so they can pace back and forth, strike a pose, smoke a cig or hand a can of cola to a shaved monkey. You ever seen a Japanese Samurai movie? You know how you were excited going in because there would be sword fights? Then when you watched it the vast majority of it's running time consisted of people sitting around flapping their jaws for twenty minutes at a time? Yeah MGS4 is exactly like that, and while the series has always been kind of like that Hideo has seriously gone over the line here. It's called a videogame, as in a form of entertainment which is supposed to be primarily interactive and for far too much of the time MGS4 just is not interactive. Maybe it's just a cultural thing, the Japanese are just really into long winded story lines packed with melodrama whereas over the years. Americans, However, have been moving more toward brief concise cutscenes or none at all. Hideo Kojima is simply not a great writer, director, or storyteller; and never has been. He has his moments, certainly, I'm not saying he is completely without talent, but he lacks consistency. Personally, I would have given the story a 6/10. The gameplay has not changed much since Metal Gear Solid for the PS1. They added first person aiming in MGS2, they added camouflage and CQC martial arts in MGS3 and added a basic 3D camera in the re release of MGS3, and here they add the most basic elements of an over the shoulder third person shooter.... Sam Fisher easily had as many abilities as Solid Snake in the first Splinter Cell and it was easier to deal with then in the last gen. This is just a matter of a control scheme that has outlasted it's time regardless of being tweaked here and there and just feels kind of crappy nowadays. My problem with MGS4 isn't that the gameplay is poor. It's actually the best in the series. Nor is my problem entirely about the lack of gameplay, as there are about seven or eight good hours of gameplay on the first playthrough. No, the biggest problem with MGS4 is its decidedly uneven structure. The vast majority of high quality gameplay is stuffed into the first two Acts of the game, while the last three Acts feel like diminutive, brief interludes between cutscenes. Most games gradually build to a climax, while MGS4 begins with a climax, and then goes flaccid, limping its way to the finish line. To be fair, there is a decent amount of replay value here, for those who care to get all of the Emblems, Face Camos, secret weapons and items, iPod tracks, etc. It's fun to do a No Kill/No Alert run through of the game, but skipping cutscenes the second time through only makes it more obvious that Acts 3-5 were an afterthought, gameplay-wise, compared to Acts 1 and 2. It's a shame, indeed. Ultimately MGS has always been as flawed as it is brilliant, but it's the only damn thing out there that's got whatever the hell special unnameable quality this series has that has kept me playing it. If you have played this series and are into it and like it and care about it then go out and play this one because you owe it to yourself to do so and see ihe series through to it's end, if you've never played this series before I strongly suggest you go buy a couple of the earlier ones first at a used game shop for cheap and after you've played them if you want to keep going then do so and play this one, if not then don't. I think the most telling thing however is even as someone who has been a fan of the series I only bothered to complete MGS4 once, it's not that it's worse than the earlier ones it's more that it just isn't any better than them and my tastes have changed alot since 1998 when I was 14 or 15 or whatever. Expand
  57. Lance
    Aug 1, 2009
    You know, I am sad to be only giving this game a 7, because I am a HUGE fan of the Metal Gear Solid series. MGS 1, 2, and 3 are some of the best games ever made, in my opinion. However, MGS 4 sadly fell short for me. The whole stealth element that was key in the previous 3 games has now been sacrificed for the sake of creating these "living battlefield" environments, which, although You know, I am sad to be only giving this game a 7, because I am a HUGE fan of the Metal Gear Solid series. MGS 1, 2, and 3 are some of the best games ever made, in my opinion. However, MGS 4 sadly fell short for me. The whole stealth element that was key in the previous 3 games has now been sacrificed for the sake of creating these "living battlefield" environments, which, although interesting and original, make sneaking both awkward and pointless, as it's quicker to just shoot everything. Secondly, there is little to nothing added to the core gameplay, and all you get instead is some fancier gadgets to use, extremely disappointing when one considers the unique survival aspect that made MGS 3 so entertaining. Graphically, there is nothing to say. The game is beautiful, yes, but so are a lot of games. The story is what really ruined this game for me. Now, I have ALWAYS loved the MGS story line, and personally one of my favourites was the story of MGS 2, a plot that many found overly complicated, but it still worked. My main complaint about MGS 4's story line is how it essentially takes every single major concept from the past 3 games, mashes them all together, and then adds a huge number of new plot elements which weren't even MENTIONED in previous games. MGS 2's story, though complex, was a logical continuation of MGS. Despite all this, I was willing to swallow MGS 4's story and still declare it at least a 9.... that is until one of the last cutscenes in the game introduced a plot element so incredibly ludacris, far-fetched, and most of all, STUPID, that it could not be forgiven. I really wish that MGS 4 hadn't ended this way, but fortunately, I will always have the first 3 games to make me forget about this disappointing end to what is otherwise, by far, my favourite video game series of all time. Oh, and by the way, making snake into an old man was a terrible idea. Snake is far too cool to be wrinkled and fragile. I'm not saying old characters can't be cool, but not Snake. He deserved better than that. Expand
  58. JustinS.
    Jun 19, 2008
    Cons: Only 5 to 7 hours of gameplay, holding down 3 buttons to perform actions, lack of contextual actions (climbing), loading doors everywhere that lose the enemies. pros: i got to use my ps3 for something other than uncharted, cutscenes, SNAKE!!!
  59. MikeF.
    Jun 20, 2008
    The overt focus on a cheesy and laughable story rather than gameplay makes the game tedious to experience. If the story was actually any good, such a commitment to CG cutscenes would have been warranted. But lets call a spade a spade. Any time a story include a woman soldier having a tender moment with her idiot, diarrhea-prone subordinate seconds after a bloody battle in which two of The overt focus on a cheesy and laughable story rather than gameplay makes the game tedious to experience. If the story was actually any good, such a commitment to CG cutscenes would have been warranted. But lets call a spade a spade. Any time a story include a woman soldier having a tender moment with her idiot, diarrhea-prone subordinate seconds after a bloody battle in which two of their close friends are dying yards away....just, YIKES. The actual gameplay is tight and fun.....I just wish there was more of it. Expand
  60. ApocalypseBrown
    Jun 25, 2008
    Great game, no. Good game, yes. Over-hyped game, most definitely. The cut-scenes alone should have a bored rating of 10, let alone the same tried and tested sneak and peek gameplay. Which still hasn't evolved much either. I haven't got anyway close to clocking the game, as I don't own is PS3 of my own. But I won't make that investment on this game, which I can play the Great game, no. Good game, yes. Over-hyped game, most definitely. The cut-scenes alone should have a bored rating of 10, let alone the same tried and tested sneak and peek gameplay. Which still hasn't evolved much either. I haven't got anyway close to clocking the game, as I don't own is PS3 of my own. But I won't make that investment on this game, which I can play the original MGS on the Wii, which is far better and more worthy of acclaim than this. Expand
  61. BobH.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Another dull effort. The series hasn't been any good since the first one. I'm also let down by the graphics and AI. The graphics a good just not OMG its a PIXAR film good, that we've been promised since PS1. The AI is just incredibly stupid.
  62. JoeR.
    Jul 21, 2008
    I was really excited about this game. But i must say im slightly disappointed. The story is good, yes, but the gameplay feels kind of broken, the shooting and covering system isnt friendly, and since there is a lot of action on screen all the time you wont have the chance to take enemies by surprise that often(this is a a stealth game right?). It seems that kojima worked really hard on I was really excited about this game. But i must say im slightly disappointed. The story is good, yes, but the gameplay feels kind of broken, the shooting and covering system isnt friendly, and since there is a lot of action on screen all the time you wont have the chance to take enemies by surprise that often(this is a a stealth game right?). It seems that kojima worked really hard on this game i just dont know why it isnt any fun. I played ratchet and clank on my nephews console and had much more fun. Im starting to think i made a mistake (an expensive one) when i bought a ps3 instead of 360. Expand
  63. Mar 19, 2014
    I’ll be honest, after about an hour or so of playing Metal Gear Solid 4 I decided I was just going to skip all the cut scenes. Maybe I just don’t have the patience I used to but I just couldn't face sitting through hour after hour of Hideo Kojima’s ramblings. Of course it meant that I had virtually no idea what was going on most of the time but I could at least get on with actually playingI’ll be honest, after about an hour or so of playing Metal Gear Solid 4 I decided I was just going to skip all the cut scenes. Maybe I just don’t have the patience I used to but I just couldn't face sitting through hour after hour of Hideo Kojima’s ramblings. Of course it meant that I had virtually no idea what was going on most of the time but I could at least get on with actually playing the game and, for the most part.

In all honesty the basic mechanics have generally changed very little since the Playstation One days and, while many would argue that it hasn't really needed to, it does mean that it is behind other stealth games like Deus Ex or Dishonored in terms of the level of freedom offered. Fortunately Kojima’s ability to conceive ideas and set pieces that very few other game designers can, means there are always surprises just around the corner and this is largely what kept me playing all the way to the end. If Kojima can accept he is a game designer not a film director then maybe we’ll be treated to a true classic again one day but for now this will do.
  64. Aug 9, 2016
    I wrote a review for this like 5 years ago, and it was embarrassing because I rated it a 10 because I was mindlessly defending it. That being said, it's alright.
  65. Jul 1, 2016
    Why is everyone giving this game such a high score? Check out some reviews on youtube and you'll see how inferior this game is to the entire series. The open world is EMPTY. The story is TERRIBLE. There are NO amazing cutscenes like the series is known for. There are only lazy audio cassette tapes that are found throughout the boring world. This is a sad disgrace of the franchiseWhy is everyone giving this game such a high score? Check out some reviews on youtube and you'll see how inferior this game is to the entire series. The open world is EMPTY. The story is TERRIBLE. There are NO amazing cutscenes like the series is known for. There are only lazy audio cassette tapes that are found throughout the boring world. This is a sad disgrace of the franchise name and doesn't come close to how great Sons of Liberty and Guns of the Patriots are. Expand
  66. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The good:Graphics,Music,Story,Old Snake pessimistic,Ocelot., last boss fight with ocelot.
    Bad:Ending Naomi,Otacon,Sunny.Places,Big Boss,Big mama,patriots.
    First of all im a big mgs fan my childhood hero was Solid Snake but:
    Ending was pretty bad because if i recall that wasn't supposed to be the original ending,the original ending was when snake and otacon die by pentagon that would be much,much better what mr kojima wanted,But he's staff members ruined this game this is pretty shame and sad the last game whit solid snake is ruined,All that thing otacon and snake done in mgs2 timeline (terrorism,hacking) was forgotten by pentagon?
    Naomi is a irritating character in this game just like otacon was, otacon was baddass back of MGS1 and MGS2 is now totally gone he is pretty different character.Sunny ughh why japanese people love genius kids? its just irritating,Places was pretty bad except middle east,South America shadow moses.Why why bring big boss back to live and telling idiot things to snake? and big mama? just ridiculous,Patriots was mgs3 characters another ridiculous thing.Yeah snake was puting down the weapon and cigar forever and he don't need to smoke? just like that he changed after 10 minute? Im sorry to say this but this game is ruined its like a bad hollywood movie.
  67. Feb 8, 2014
    I finish this game, so I believe I can write a review. This game is OK. I don't think it deserves above 8 on the User Score because the graphics is at 1080 but it looks like 720. I think the cut scenes are way way too long and If I want to watch a movie, I will watch a Blu-ray movie; not MGS4 movie. I game play is very good if you like single players.
  68. Mar 30, 2014
    Honestly i don't mind cutscenes as long as they are ALL about being EPIC(kojima style) and are very important. The problem however is this game has so many cutscenes where there is pointless chatter about technical details of no utmost importance... considering they are 90% of all cutscenes and that the game is itself 90% cutscenes = tedious game.

I was disapointed as MGS1 was truly

I was disapointed as MGS1 was truly epic and there were maybe 3-4 cutscenes with this kind of pointless ramblings about sciencific facts. In contrast, this game, the whole experience is like this!!
    I find myself being unmotivated to start after taking 1 day breaks.

Also, the game has turned from being stuck in the middle of nowhere trying to infiltrate bases....into a boring action game where there's too much action on the screen going on at the same time... it killed the whole espionage aspect that I liked the most about this series.

I hate developpers these days, they keep changing things that weren't broken to begin with and end up changing everything I liked about the series.
  69. Mar 25, 2016
    It's game play is simple and easy to get behind, but Metal Gear Solid 4's lengthy cut scenes and short amount of interactivity make it less of a game and more of a way to wrap up the complicated story line of the series.
  70. May 8, 2016
    juego entretenido, con un argumento interesante, como en todos los metal gear solid, te penalizan si no realizas las misiones en sigilo, el argumento se salta bastantes años de sus antecesores, por lo que metal gear solid rellena parte de la historia

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Guns of the Patriots is almost intimidating in the consistent quality of its ideas, invention, and execution...Even by the series' stratospheric standards, MGS4 is a remarkable high point. [June 2008]
    If you've ever loved any one of the Metal Gear games, or any moments from the series, there will come a moment when MGS 4 will send your spirits soaring. If you've loved them all, well then there'll be many, many more. It’s a masterpiece.
  3. Guns of the Patriots is a frustrating, fractured game that turns Metal Gear Solid's world upside down several times over, but never changes it.