8.7

1. [anonymous]
    Jun 12, 2008
    All those losers who give MGS4 less than a ten or a nine have seriously something big up their arse! Possibly the best game ever made and don't forget that! This is the PERFECT game with beautiful graphics and spendid gameplay to complete the unforgettable story of Solid Snake. And to all you people who complain about long cutscenes,if you don't like them, you are playing the All those losers who give MGS4 less than a ten or a nine have seriously something big up their arse! Possibly the best game ever made and don't forget that! This is the PERFECT game with beautiful graphics and spendid gameplay to complete the unforgettable story of Solid Snake. And to all you people who complain about long cutscenes,if you don't like them, you are playing the wrong game! The cutscenes are what makes this game famous so never ever dis them! Expand
  2. FariedM.
    Jun 12, 2008
    Unbelievable! Easily the best game I have ever played. Epic from start to finish.
  3. IOWNanXBOXtoo
    Jun 12, 2008
    This just might be the best game ever! Besides for the terrible shadows the game looks to be the best visuals I have ever seen. I always like a deep story and this sure delivers that!
  4. AnthonyE.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Amazing is probably the best word to describe the masterpiece that is Metal Gear Solid 4. I have never really played a Metal Gear / Solid game in my life, and still, this game never ceases to amaze me. Kojima is now my new hero.
  5. Dan
    Jun 13, 2008
    It has been a long time since a game has had mixed story with play. Something that is needed in the industry if it wishes to grow. Too many games are released without story and are over in 5 hours. MGS 4 has renewed the life of story telling and brilliant visuals. Amazing graphics, stunning story and a beautiful ending to a legendary series!
  6. RandyM.
    Jun 13, 2008
    This is the best mgs and one of the best stealth/action games EVER.
  7. PaulL.
    Jun 13, 2008
    If there was ever a game that deserved 10/10 this is it. Normally all games have slight faults in presentation, graphics, gameplay, sound etc but i can't fault any part of the game. The story is fantastic. The sound just rumbles your windows, the gamplay is unique, responsive and sweet. And my god the graphics shines out especially on a HDTV. First game to truly feel next gen. If there was ever a game that deserved 10/10 this is it. Normally all games have slight faults in presentation, graphics, gameplay, sound etc but i can't fault any part of the game. The story is fantastic. The sound just rumbles your windows, the gamplay is unique, responsive and sweet. And my god the graphics shines out especially on a HDTV. First game to truly feel next gen. Coupled with 20 plus hours of playtime and multiplayer aspect it's highly replayable. I just cannot express my admiration for this game in enough terms. If you are a gamer then you must simply buy this game. Trust me you will savour every moment of it! Expand
  8. MichaelR.
    Jun 13, 2008
    This is the game that brings all the promise of the "next generation" of gaming to fruition . From presentation to gameplay this game delivers the goods!
  9. JamesB.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Such a great game in every way, satisfies the fans and newcomers alike. Boss battles are amazing, the way the story and gameplay intertwine is immersive, gripping and uniquely metal gear. The combat is better than it's ever been and when you're done you can put ours into Metal Gear Online! Go buy now!
  10. CeyhanC.
    Jun 13, 2008
    One of the best game that I've played in my life. Video games are a part of art ( for me ), and this is the "chapelle sixtine" of video games . What I can say, it is like a movie made by Cameron, characters are perfect (looks, voices, moves ... ) and the history is the best that I saw in video games, Kojima's team made a great job!
  11. StevenN.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Amazing game, loved it from start to finish.
  12. StevenM.
    Jun 13, 2008
    It's an amazing game. I've had friends come over the past few days to share the experience with me. We've played non stop, taking breaks to smoke during the installs... But besides that, the cinematics are gripping and the gameplay is quite invigorating.
  13. PhilY.
    Jun 14, 2008
    This game is virtually flawless, its so well polished and detailed its unbelievable. This game truly beckons next gen gaming.
  14. JacobP.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Amazing is the only word to describe this game!
  15. BradJ.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Awe inspiring. Yes, there are hours of cinematic where you are not mashing buttons for a while. deal with it. Get over that and you will have the most unique gaming experience. I would have to say it is the closest to an interactive movie as you can get. graphics 10 sound 10, etc etc etc. the only questionable thing is the use of cutscenes. guess what - if you don't like it you can Awe inspiring. Yes, there are hours of cinematic where you are not mashing buttons for a while. deal with it. Get over that and you will have the most unique gaming experience. I would have to say it is the closest to an interactive movie as you can get. graphics 10 sound 10, etc etc etc. the only questionable thing is the use of cutscenes. guess what - if you don't like it you can skip them however any mgs fan would never do that - well on the first time through anyhow... definitely did not disappoint in any aspect for me. just finished about 6 hrs ago after 36 hrs straight - now to play ONLINE!! Expand
  16. MattB.
    Jun 14, 2008
    A superior game that finally shows off the PS3s capabilities.
  17. BTR.
    Jun 16, 2008
    Can't believe how much they've improved the series in every way. Hands down, this represents the best game I've ever played on any system ever, and I've been playing since I was 8 years old (I'm 31 now). From the graphics and sound to the voice acting and cinematography to the gameplay mechanics and multiple styles to play, MGS4 excels in every area and mixes a Can't believe how much they've improved the series in every way. Hands down, this represents the best game I've ever played on any system ever, and I've been playing since I was 8 years old (I'm 31 now). From the graphics and sound to the voice acting and cinematography to the gameplay mechanics and multiple styles to play, MGS4 excels in every area and mixes a lot of humor with gritty dialog and a compelling, twisted storyline. Amazing game and well worth buying a PS3 for. Expand
  18. AlanZ.
    Jun 16, 2008
    Simply put, Metal Gear Solid 4 is one of the greatest pieces of entertainment ever created.
  19. DerekG.
    Jun 16, 2008
    Quite simply the most engrossing and perfectly crafted game in history.
  20. Ben
    Jun 16, 2008
    Very good. Quality is awesome. Never played the first metal gear solids, and wish i did, this is a really awesome game!
  21. BrianP.
    Jun 16, 2008
    Considering selling all my other games/systems and playing this the rest of my life. It's that good.
  22. KamilC.
    Jun 16, 2008
    This is by far the best game I have played all year. Finished it last night and returning to the battle today. War has changed and after this, Gaming as a whole has changed.
  23. MrMyagi
    Jun 17, 2008
    Game of the year! I sat through it from beginning to end with a huge grin on my face. Amazing graphics, second play you can try totally different tactics, superb surround sound and tricky at first but becomes great controls. Intriguing story, good mixture of FPS and stealth and little touches that make you smile. If only every game was like this. Sublime! Happy to play it all over again!
  24. ScottM.
    Jun 17, 2008
    An epic game in every department, the ultimate bridge in between cinema and gaming, bravo Mr. Kojima!!
  25. DamienL.
    Jun 17, 2008
    Absolutely stunning. Hideo Kojima is a genius.
  26. BobJ.
    Jun 17, 2008
    This is the best installment in the series, the game is worth every penny, the graphics and story are A+. More game developers should take what Konami and Kojima did and learn from it. More games need this level of development!
  27. JoseR.
    Jun 17, 2008
    Act 4 best part of the game for me. It made me remember when I was 15yrs old. I almost cried. I'm 26yrs old now and I'll have to say this is the best game I've ever played. No other game has made me feel this way. Thanks Kojima!!
  28. JJD
    Jun 18, 2008
    Wow was this game amazing. Production values are insane, some of the best graphics this gen....and a story thats just wow. If your a fan, you already own the game...but for everyone else, this game will be an adventure for you too (just make sure you read up on some of the mgs lore).
  29. MichaelK.
    It's Metal Gear Solid.
  30. TonLoc
    Jun 18, 2008
    Edge, eurogamer and gamedaily gave the score of "8" because it would benefit them in the end where their site would be visited daily for hate email. Its a purely business tactic enrage the fans to get more business. Other than that, MGS4 is an outstanding game, even though it has long cut scenes, it still an outstanding game... much better than GTA IV. The cut scenes are meant to tell the Edge, eurogamer and gamedaily gave the score of "8" because it would benefit them in the end where their site would be visited daily for hate email. Its a purely business tactic enrage the fans to get more business. Other than that, MGS4 is an outstanding game, even though it has long cut scenes, it still an outstanding game... much better than GTA IV. The cut scenes are meant to tell the story. But remember MGS fans, there will be a directors cut to this game within 5-6 months. Hopefully we will be able to hear the japanese sound track and have updated MGO maps in the Subsistence version of MGS4. Edge, Eurogamer and gamedaily should have their reviewers fired for such a bad review. Expand
    Jun 18, 2008
    Major question. How come there's 80 from GameCritics but they don't rate games? Weird stuff. I'm old and grumpy gamer who's hard to please but MGS4 got me on my knees.
  32. MiKE
    Jun 18, 2008
    I had a hard time getting into the game, but after an 1 hour. I liked it more and more! AMAZING graphics! and this is coming from a PC gamer! The gameplay is great as well, and you have to love the cut scenes! Its feels like being in a movie rather then playing a game! HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!
  33. AaronP.
    Jun 18, 2008
    Game of forever! Best game I have ever played!
  34. PhilS.
    Jun 18, 2008
    This is the release the PS3 has been waiting for. I have friends asking me whether or not to buy a PS3 and i show them this game and they are sold after like 10 minutes. I bought this game on the midnight release and played it straight for 20 hours with only a couple of bathroom breaks. Simply couldnt put the sticks down.
  35. Troy
    Jun 19, 2008
    Simply one of the best games I've ever played. Very few games even come close to how good this game is. Everything is top notch, graphics, sound, story, everything.
  36. DeanC.
    Jun 19, 2008
    MGS4 delivered 10 times over. I have followed the series since its nintendo days and i could not be more happy. The Story is Imersive, the gameplay is outstanding and the graphics are top notch. If you are a fan then it is a must buy, if not i think you will find the game very enjoyable and will find something very special in this game I sure did. Kojima you couldnt have done beter and MGS4 delivered 10 times over. I have followed the series since its nintendo days and i could not be more happy. The Story is Imersive, the gameplay is outstanding and the graphics are top notch. If you are a fan then it is a must buy, if not i think you will find the game very enjoyable and will find something very special in this game I sure did. Kojima you couldnt have done beter and thank you for the experience. The BEST game i have EVER played, hands down. Expand
  37. DavidH.
    Jun 19, 2008
    There have been many games through out this latest generation of consoles worth looking at and occasionally playing. MGS4 is the first title to warrant the purchase of a console in this generation and will hopefully be a starting point in epic games to come out. Never predictable, well (& longly) explained, MGS4 has moments of Mission Impossible stealth story with loads of action to fill There have been many games through out this latest generation of consoles worth looking at and occasionally playing. MGS4 is the first title to warrant the purchase of a console in this generation and will hopefully be a starting point in epic games to come out. Never predictable, well (& longly) explained, MGS4 has moments of Mission Impossible stealth story with loads of action to fill the gaps. Although the cutscenes are heavy handed (over 8 hours), MGS4 is a great example of how video games have surpassed film and music as the highest entertainment. Thank you Hideo for raising the bar! Expand
  38. GordonR.
    Jun 21, 2008
    This is the best game I have ever played. It is.... words can't describe. It's so far beyond anything else out there that there is nothing to compare it to. Just play it.
  39. ABen
    Jun 21, 2008
    Pretty good game, cut-scenes are long winded but thats Metal Gear for you. A much needed improvement over MGS3, which was a boring game and soured me on Metal Gear altogether. But 3 years later, another generation passes, and this is how I am rewarded. Now I just hope Final Fantasy 13 can deliver like this title did and my Xbox 360 will be a permanent paperweight. Stop the hate and enjoy Pretty good game, cut-scenes are long winded but thats Metal Gear for you. A much needed improvement over MGS3, which was a boring game and soured me on Metal Gear altogether. But 3 years later, another generation passes, and this is how I am rewarded. Now I just hope Final Fantasy 13 can deliver like this title did and my Xbox 360 will be a permanent paperweight. Stop the hate and enjoy the game children. Expand
  40. TysonB
    Jun 21, 2008
    I will give this a 10, mainly because this has shown what PS3 can handle. Yes, Kojima said himself that it wasn't up to his expectations, but he is a Perfectionists. He was expecting more than he could do, which honestly was expected. He was probably expecting a video game to pretty much come to life with "real life" graphics. No matter what, in today's world, that just I will give this a 10, mainly because this has shown what PS3 can handle. Yes, Kojima said himself that it wasn't up to his expectations, but he is a Perfectionists. He was expecting more than he could do, which honestly was expected. He was probably expecting a video game to pretty much come to life with "real life" graphics. No matter what, in today's world, that just isn't possible. The Cell can handle way more than what PS3s graphics card can. Anyways, besides all of that, this game is insane, in a very good way. Graphically it's beautiful and stunning. Story wise it is truly something else, it lives up to expectations that many were wanting. Game play it's different and makes you keep wanting to play. Yes, it does have long cut-scenes but it does not off set it from the true colors. Replay is definitely a 10/10 on it's own, since skipping the cut-scenes opens up a lot of game play. Yes, the game could have been better in Kojima's eyes. All great minds end up not liking there work, it's a fact. It's just that way, can't fault the game because it is very perfect. Expand
  41. PaulS.
    Jun 22, 2008
    Awesome game, the first mgs game I've played, decided to get it after i bought the ps3 seeing as everyone was raving and wasn't disappointed, now starting run number 2.
  42. TylerH.
    Jun 22, 2008
    This game is the best game i think i have ever played, that includes the legendary LOZ ocarina of time. I truly have no idea how GTA IV got a higher score than this masterpiece.
  43. TomE.
    Jun 22, 2008
    This game did everything brilliantly. The gameplay was awesome, the graphics were beautiful, and the voice over work and music was some of the best I've seen in a game. I usually don't feel anything one way or another when I'm playing a game, but in MGS4 I actually cared, and was moved by the cutscenes and all of the emotion and action they contained. MGS4 ended the story This game did everything brilliantly. The gameplay was awesome, the graphics were beautiful, and the voice over work and music was some of the best I've seen in a game. I usually don't feel anything one way or another when I'm playing a game, but in MGS4 I actually cared, and was moved by the cutscenes and all of the emotion and action they contained. MGS4 ended the story with an epic finish, and I consider this to be one of the greatest games I have played of this or any of the past generations. Only one other game I've played has made me care about the characters, and that was Chrono Cross. Expand
  44. JesseL.
    Jun 23, 2008
    By far the best and most in depth Metal Gear game in the series. The story line swept me away as everything from the previous games came together. I almost shed a tear at the end of the game. The only thing that upset me was that I wasn't able to play as Raiden.
  45. JonathanM.
    Jun 23, 2008
    This game is simply amazing the graphics blow out of the water every game on every platform that has gone before and they are third in quality behind the perfect sound and a story which Akiri Kurosawa would be proud of! If you have ever seen Seven Samurai or played any MGS game you will be brought to your knees by the sheer quality of this game!
  46. JoshD.
    Jun 23, 2008
    Incredible game. I was worried when I bought my PS3 mainly because of this game but it definitely paid off. Game of the DECADE.
  47. RayS.
    Jun 24, 2008
    Best game I've ever played. That is saying a lot cuz I play a lot of games.
  48. RayG.
    Jun 24, 2008
    Incredible story and gameplay, this game deserves all the praises that it has received from the press. In my opinion, the best game I've ever played... just WOW!!
  49. MarcA.
    Jun 24, 2008
    This game looks so good, it feels like hi-definition on a standard-def tv. Also, be prepared for long, but awesome cutscenes and perfect gameplay with incredible battlefield awareness due to the new ''Solid eye'' Snake wears over his left eye.
  50. SeanR.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Epic. Gameplay is spot-on, cinematics are memorable, and everything comes to a close in a way I never thought possible.
  51. GeoffG.
    Jun 25, 2008
    This is by far the most entertaining, engrossing, and gorgeous experience ever created in the field of video games. If you have a PS3 and don't pick up MGS4, you are violating a sin worse than all seven deadly at once.
  52. Dr.Ghettoblaster
    Jun 25, 2008
    Anyone who hates on this game is simply ignorant. It is a landmark achievement, just as all previous MGS games have been. Oh, and surprise surprise, I own a PS3 and a 360. Fanboys are ridiculous little kids who can't afford to wipe their own a$$...
  53. BrettH.
    Jun 25, 2008
    If you haven't played the series up to date, I suggest doing so. This game is FANTASTIC. With the cutscenese being interactive all the way to the ending which will blow your mind. Metal Gear Solid 4 is THE first game that has taken my emotions and thrown them against the wall, the floor, the ceiling and out the door. This game is simply amazing, I would Guarantee this as game of the If you haven't played the series up to date, I suggest doing so. This game is FANTASTIC. With the cutscenese being interactive all the way to the ending which will blow your mind. Metal Gear Solid 4 is THE first game that has taken my emotions and thrown them against the wall, the floor, the ceiling and out the door. This game is simply amazing, I would Guarantee this as game of the year if it wasn't up to magazine reviewers claiming GTA4 as the best game of all time (even though that game has many flaws and repetitive story line to kill yourself over). A must have for ALL PS3 owners! Expand
  54. WJ.
    Jun 25, 2008
    This game is by far one of the best games I have ever played, and thats having played over 400 games. The story is neatly wrapped up closing off every plot and twist there has ever been in the series, all of it managing to link together rather well. The down side to that if your a lazy gamer is the cut scenes which are very long around 3 hours, however you can always skip these if you This game is by far one of the best games I have ever played, and thats having played over 400 games. The story is neatly wrapped up closing off every plot and twist there has ever been in the series, all of it managing to link together rather well. The down side to that if your a lazy gamer is the cut scenes which are very long around 3 hours, however you can always skip these if you don't feel like watching a master piece. The gameplay is excellent, the FPS mechanics have been greatly improved although not really needing to be as the game is a SNEAKING game. I have already played through the game 3 times adding up to a total of 20 hours of singleplayer gameplay and have played MGO for about 20 hours as well. This easily makes the game a very affordable piece of entertainment. I highly recommend this to anyone with a PS3 and anyone who is a fan of the old games. I even know people who had never played MGS before but love this game. Game of the Year contender easily. Expand
  55. BrianB.
    Jun 26, 2008
    Don't mention the overrated repetition fest Halo 3 in the same sentence as THIS masterpiece fanboy morons! Just accept how incredible MGS4 and get on with your empty little lives!
  56. MikaelL
    Jun 27, 2008
    Best game I have ever played. I was sceptic at first because i never found the MGS games interesting enough to play then. Nevertheless I bought this the day after it had been released and i was overwhelmed. The Game delivers in every aspect you can think of. Graphics: 10/10 the most beautiful game i have ever seen. The cutscenes are simply amazing and what suprised me the most is the Best game I have ever played. I was sceptic at first because i never found the MGS games interesting enough to play then. Nevertheless I bought this the day after it had been released and i was overwhelmed. The Game delivers in every aspect you can think of. Graphics: 10/10 the most beautiful game i have ever seen. The cutscenes are simply amazing and what suprised me the most is the flawless transition from cutscenes to gameplay. There is almost no difference. This game is one of the few games who truly shows the potential of the PS3's superior hardware compared to the other consoles. Gameplay: 10/10 AMAZING gameplay. I was skeptical at first if the game could entertain me, because i never really liked the stealth-mode games. I was surprised to find out that you can play this game as a true action game if thats what you want. But what surprised me the most was that after having beaten the game the first time I actually found myself wanting to play it though again but this time as the game was meant to be played (stealth mode). This gives the game a totally different look and it works brilliantly. Controls: 10/10 nothing to complain about here. The controls are solid and work good both in stealth and action gameplay. Story: 10/10 nuff said. Expand
  57. Rasta
    Jun 27, 2008
    Truly awe inspiring, jaw dropping and nothing but greatness spews from this game... I was always a fan of MGS, ever since its PS1 debut, but after playing MGS3, I was a bit disappointed so when MGS4 was coming out on the PS3 leading up to the release, I wasn't as hyped as I was with GTA4... As soon as I got word, and had my go at it, I knew I was truly underestimating this game... Truly awe inspiring, jaw dropping and nothing but greatness spews from this game... I was always a fan of MGS, ever since its PS1 debut, but after playing MGS3, I was a bit disappointed so when MGS4 was coming out on the PS3 leading up to the release, I wasn't as hyped as I was with GTA4... As soon as I got word, and had my go at it, I knew I was truly underestimating this game... with MGS4, it really takes the whole series to another level, even if you weren't a fan this game. You will love it, I mean the action, the freedom to choose how you want to play, the mechanics... everything that this game does truly churns out an epic experience. It really makes you want to play it over and over, I don't really feel this way with most games, if any (except for maybe GTA, even though I might not play through all the missions, I still continually play the series) This current iteration is like playing MGS on the PS1, in the sense that you are playing for the first time something of a revolutionary game... only I'd say 1000X better.... Even over GTA4 (being a hardcore GTA fan) I would say MGS4 should be considered GOTY, if not GOTC or even GOAT (Greatest Of All Time)... Def would of never considered such a notion before its release, but after playing it I have fallen for this game... big time. Expand
  58. AndréB.
    Jun 28, 2008
    This game is a perfect closure for the MGS Saga. The story is perfectly driven by videos less than by codec, which is great. Maybe that's why it only fits in Blu-ray. The game has an awesome but not easy gameplay. Problems: The first briefings are kinda boring.
  59. JeremyD.
    Jun 29, 2008
    Best game I have ever played. Controls are better than on any platform on any game ever. This is ridiculously great!
  60. aaronl.
    Jul 11, 2008
    if you are borderline intelligent, able to understand storyline that exceeds "aliens are invading therefore i shall shoot them all up and save the world, then shoot them all up in their mothership to save the universe", and is looking for a game that finally isnt just another clone of another game. then this is for you. from gameplay, graphics, story, storytelling, outright ridiculous if you are borderline intelligent, able to understand storyline that exceeds "aliens are invading therefore i shall shoot them all up and save the world, then shoot them all up in their mothership to save the universe", and is looking for a game that finally isnt just another clone of another game. then this is for you. from gameplay, graphics, story, storytelling, outright ridiculous features (oil drum? playboy?) and stunning details, this game is perfect for many of us out here that are increasingly getting bored of the same old format of the new shooter games. i was never a fan of the MSG series, but this game and its captivating story and atmosphere has turned me into one. the longwinded cutscenes seem to be a let-down for many people out there, but i enjoyed every second of it, dialogues are somewhat cheesy and sometimes funny (when it's not suppose to be), but i guess that's all part of the experience, and some of the scenes are so well made it felt like i was watching a movie. Expand
  61. SolidSnake
    Jul 12, 2008
    after 10 years of waiting,its worth it.... to those dimwits whinging about something in this game,i dont give a damn bout what u say,just play the game and try to keep ur mouth shut! all i can say is....for an MGS fan who waited a deacade, this is not just a game to us...
  62. JackC.
    Jul 14, 2008
    Great final battle is epic,great game . This fight is everything for the ones that follow metal Gear Series umbeliaveble scenes the expressions of Old snake and (Ocelot) take at the the gam experience at the limit Sony PS3 Rulez.
  63. BenWalker
    Jul 15, 2008
    I did not know anything about the Metal Gear story before playing this game which made the story hard to follow. I even found myself skipping some scenes because they were so long and I just wanted to get back to the gameplay. I liked the game a lot, I just wish the cut scenes weren't so long. I am looking forward to playing through the game again so I can skip past all the cutI did not know anything about the Metal Gear story before playing this game which made the story hard to follow. I even found myself skipping some scenes because they were so long and I just wanted to get back to the gameplay. I liked the game a lot, I just wish the cut scenes weren't so long. I am looking forward to playing through the game again so I can skip past all the cut scenes and just "play the game". Expand
  64. EricZ
    Jul 24, 2008
    A magnificent game with a truly deep emotional attachment. Don't miss it.
  65. ChristianB.
    Jul 27, 2008
    MGS4 is an amazing game. The story line is crazy, the cut scenes are great but you want them to be shorter. But once you play, you can't put it down. Customising your weapons to take out the next soldier means you can even go through the single player game again and again using different tactics. Glorious graphics, fantastic sound, faultless gameplay. THE best game of this generation MGS4 is an amazing game. The story line is crazy, the cut scenes are great but you want them to be shorter. But once you play, you can't put it down. Customising your weapons to take out the next soldier means you can even go through the single player game again and again using different tactics. Glorious graphics, fantastic sound, faultless gameplay. THE best game of this generation and the game to put the PS3 back on the map. Hey, I even sold my 360 to buy this and a PS3!! Expand
  66. KevinL.
    Jul 28, 2008
    Awesome game. Story line is well-interwoven into the game play, and many of the cut scenes pay homage to quite a few action movies. Multiple threads to approach the game, such that you can go back and play it differently. Definitely one of the best games of all-time and a must for PS3 owners.
  67. ChrisG.
    Jul 29, 2008
    Single player campaign is perhaps the best I've ever played, as long as you enjoy a deep storyline and long, cinematic quality cut scenes (I do). Still ,plenty of actual gameplay to get you through and you can approach it any way you like, from run-n-gun to all out sneak. Tons of easter eggs and level-ups. Solid replay value. Metal Gear Online (multiplayer) is very good, as well. Single player campaign is perhaps the best I've ever played, as long as you enjoy a deep storyline and long, cinematic quality cut scenes (I do). Still ,plenty of actual gameplay to get you through and you can approach it any way you like, from run-n-gun to all out sneak. Tons of easter eggs and level-ups. Solid replay value. Metal Gear Online (multiplayer) is very good, as well. Though it may not quite rank with the top PS3 online experiences (e.g. COD4), it does have it's merits and offers a slew of level-ups to keep you going. Expand
  68. ChristianH.
    Jul 31, 2008
    This game is amazing. From the graphics to gameplay. Long stylish cutscenes replace long boring codec calls, and the boss fights are amazingly fun. A complaint I have about this game is that it's so damn short! Most of it was movie and not gameplay, but it's all good when it comes to MGO, and being able to get the big boss emblem should give you a trophy. The normal mode is This game is amazing. From the graphics to gameplay. Long stylish cutscenes replace long boring codec calls, and the boss fights are amazingly fun. A complaint I have about this game is that it's so damn short! Most of it was movie and not gameplay, but it's all good when it comes to MGO, and being able to get the big boss emblem should give you a trophy. The normal mode is easy, but new controls, awesome gameplay, and there is nothing about this game that is a major let down. Haters out there are just mad because they don't have a ps3 and have to stick with that piece of shit halo. Expand
  69. NickS.
    Aug 21, 2008
    I am truly addicted to this games style of game play. Instead of trying to shoot and kill people (which results in them out numbering and over powering you.) You are trying to sneak past them and, or take them out silently. The online portion of the game puts you up against millions of other stealthy assassins to test your skill.
  70. AlainG.
    Sep 13, 2008
    Best game I've gotten so far for my ps3 played it like 10 times which is rare for me to do trust me it is!!! Online is awesome one of the best i've played even though it needs some polishing and better maps.
  71. thebossman
    Sep 19, 2008
    An excellent game, fitting of Solid Snakes last adventure, but it's hampered by far too many cut-scenes. If they were shorter, this would get a 10 from me.
  72. SuleimanM.
    Sep 19, 2008
    What Hideo Kojima has done is too much to fathom, and he concluded my favorite video game series with such a conclusion that I feel like I'm in debt to him some how. To type how phenomenal this game is would take over ten pages, one page for each mark, so I'm going to keep it short, a legendary ending for a legendary soldier, and a legendary ending for a legendary series. Best What Hideo Kojima has done is too much to fathom, and he concluded my favorite video game series with such a conclusion that I feel like I'm in debt to him some how. To type how phenomenal this game is would take over ten pages, one page for each mark, so I'm going to keep it short, a legendary ending for a legendary soldier, and a legendary ending for a legendary series. Best game I've ever played and my pick for game of the year. Thank you Solid Snake for the years of entertainment you've provided me with, and most of all thank you Hideo, when your game can bring me to tears by the end of it, you know it means something, Thank you Hideo, Thank you. Expand
  73. SahilD
    Nov 13, 2009
    One Word: MASTERPIECE. Metal Gear Solid 4 is the true definition of a gaming masterpiece. Boasting unmatched graphics, brilliant gameplay and an amazing score MGS 4 deserves all the perferct scores it receives. Still dont know why everyone makes such an issue of the cutscenes. In my opinion the deep story of the Metal Gear franchise made them a necessity, and anyway they're immensely One Word: MASTERPIECE. Metal Gear Solid 4 is the true definition of a gaming masterpiece. Boasting unmatched graphics, brilliant gameplay and an amazing score MGS 4 deserves all the perferct scores it receives. Still dont know why everyone makes such an issue of the cutscenes. In my opinion the deep story of the Metal Gear franchise made them a necessity, and anyway they're immensely enjoyable (remember Raiden Vs Vamp in South America - jaw-dropping!) A legendary sendoff to a legendary character by a legendary designer. WE SALUTE YOU SOLID SNAKE...u too Kojima-san. Expand
  74. JoeyDigital
    Dec 10, 2009
    If every game was this intense, I think the gaming community would be even stronger. It mixes alot of new things in, and keeps gameplay fresh. There is really no equal to it, maybe Uncharted 2, but NONE ELSE!! A must get for any gamer. If you dont like this game youre either a hater or you just dont know games.
  75. ZaherH
    Dec 27, 2009
    I am not an mgs fan boy. I never even played the first three mgs games . but after playin the mgs 4 I can only say... BEST GAME EVER
  76. aaront
    Dec 4, 2009
    One of the best games ever made! Both visually and from a gameplay standpoint. Makes every penny of the ps3 purchase price worthwhile.
  77. GabrielN.
    Jan 27, 2009
    Oh boy, what a mind blowing experience ! MGS4 screams quality and inspiration, from the first pixel that appears on screen, to the very last. I can't imagine how these guys managed to always pull it off and make the next MGS game better than the last, but MGS4 is the pinnacle of the series in every single aspect. The story is beatifully crafted in both writing and cinematography, Oh boy, what a mind blowing experience ! MGS4 screams quality and inspiration, from the first pixel that appears on screen, to the very last. I can't imagine how these guys managed to always pull it off and make the next MGS game better than the last, but MGS4 is the pinnacle of the series in every single aspect. The story is beatifully crafted in both writing and cinematography, smart, elaborate and so incredibly poignant, think the end of MGS3 and multiply it by 5, that there are scenes where you litterally feel all your senses soaring. It is a moving and deeply profound experience, unlike any other. The gameplay, graphics, sound, music, everything is pretty much as good as it gets. This one is, without a doubt, for the history books. Expand
  78. MichaelKahn
    Feb 18, 2009
    I'm rather disappointed at the gaming community for bashing this game for it's cutscenes. This game is a masterpiece and truly shows the peak of today's gaming. It shows the tragic end to a true legend. He was not a hero, he was just one man, a soldier who followed his orders. Solid Snake. Everything about this game was incredible. The writing was superb and was wellI'm rather disappointed at the gaming community for bashing this game for it's cutscenes. This game is a masterpiece and truly shows the peak of today's gaming. It shows the tragic end to a true legend. He was not a hero, he was just one man, a soldier who followed his orders. Solid Snake. Everything about this game was incredible. The writing was superb and was well portrayed my the characters movements in each cutscene. Then comes the gameplay. Some of you may be wondering if they focused too much on story and not gameplay. Nope, they managed to have absolutely flawless controls and a wide arsenal of weapons. There are 69 and many other additions! The presentation is well done. The game looks polished and runs at an excellent framerate that I didn't see drop once (it goes about 50-60 FPS). What is amazing though is how seamless the transfer from cutscene to gameplay can be sometimes. Every cutscene is done with the game engine. You may not be playing, but it is still gameplay. To prove it, you can interact in some cutscenes and zoom in at anypoint you want. Come to think of it, there are only two FULLY rendered cutscenes within the game. The story in this game is above any in any game series. It truly puts the whole entire story into a masterpiece conclusion. During the credits I was speechless and sat through the whole credit sequence. *NOTE TO ANYONE WHO BEATS THE GAME* There is. like in all MGS games, an audio playing at the end THAT IS SUBSTANTIALLY important! Back to what I was saying. As a console collector, this game will always be in my top 3 gaming collection tied with GTA IV for the #2 spot. Please buy this game, it is worth every penny and the multiplayer is definitely worth a shot. Expand
  79. anthonyv.
    Feb 24, 2009
    This game was absolutely amazing. a true epic of story telling crafted a master at its best. and thats the problem. this was som much a game with an amazing story as a story with a side of gameplay. the fact that u could actually spend less time playing the game than watching it is a downturn for me and prevents this game frm receiving a perfect score. this story is far too in depth for This game was absolutely amazing. a true epic of story telling crafted a master at its best. and thats the problem. this was som much a game with an amazing story as a story with a side of gameplay. the fact that u could actually spend less time playing the game than watching it is a downturn for me and prevents this game frm receiving a perfect score. this story is far too in depth for the limited gameply. the graphics are stellar and the voice acting is perfect. this is a modern classic for sure but could do with lengthier gaming segments. it makes you feel a little cheated that you didnt get to control more of this amazing game and were actuall relegated to be a spectator for the most part. still this game impresses with the parts you do get to play. with literally dozens of on screen soldiers and robots all simultaneously performing detailed action this is a technical marvel as well. but still the gamer in me wants more. Expand
  80. AnonymousMC
    Mar 14, 2009
    The best game i have ever played!!! For all of those people out there bashing this game for the cutscenes, you're an idiot who doesn't know how to skip them, and don't understand the greatness of the story. I have played all of the metal gears, (yes the 8 bit ones) and i think this game is the best one yet!
  81. IamF
    Apr 13, 2009
    This is the greatest of all tactical, action, 3rd person shooter-, simply the greatest game! The game's visuals, prfound plot and characters, sounds, and most of all cutscenes, distingiush this game as one of the greatest. This game leaves fans waiting for more and hungry for more of Hideo Kojima's ingenuity.
  82. KyleMorgan
    Dec 22, 2008
    I know some people complain of long cutscenes, but you have to understand: this game franchise is older than many of you. Don't complain about ridiculous cutscenes because you don't understand the characters and the plot. Anyway, the shooting mechanics are new and refreshing for the MG series. I love the emphasis on teamwork in MGO and the catapults. For those of you whoI know some people complain of long cutscenes, but you have to understand: this game franchise is older than many of you. Don't complain about ridiculous cutscenes because you don't understand the characters and the plot. Anyway, the shooting mechanics are new and refreshing for the MG series. I love the emphasis on teamwork in MGO and the catapults. For those of you who didn't play the original MGO you don't understand how lucky you are. In the old MGO people just camped on top of buildings and waited to shoot those coming up ladders. You now have the luxury of a catapult. Expand
  83. ColinS.
    Dec 23, 2008
    I have never touched a PS3 before. I spent all my time playing Wii. I was never really a sucker for these big ass, violent gamwes everyone was playing. Then i played MGS4. I never played a MGS game before, but this one was simply amazing. The numerous cutscenes were actually very enjoyable, and dont listen to what anyone says; the cutscenes make the game more immersive. The graphics wereI have never touched a PS3 before. I spent all my time playing Wii. I was never really a sucker for these big ass, violent gamwes everyone was playing. Then i played MGS4. I never played a MGS game before, but this one was simply amazing. The numerous cutscenes were actually very enjoyable, and dont listen to what anyone says; the cutscenes make the game more immersive. The graphics were jaw-droppingly amazing. Easily the best of all
    time.
    This game dosent deserve 10, it deserves 11!
  84. AlanAsco
    Dec 25, 2008
    This is one of the few games that excel in every aspect where a game should. Graphics,story,game play, easter eggs, online etc. Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best game ever made even without its online i've beaten this game 21 times no B.S. and i MGO is my favorite online games followed by halo and gears of war. Metal Gear Solid 4 is an emotional game and is just amazing in every way IThis is one of the few games that excel in every aspect where a game should. Graphics,story,game play, easter eggs, online etc. Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best game ever made even without its online i've beaten this game 21 times no B.S. and i MGO is my favorite online games followed by halo and gears of war. Metal Gear Solid 4 is an emotional game and is just amazing in every way I almost cried at the games conclusion and also throughout. 11/10 Expand
  85. LarryGrauss
    Dec 26, 2008
    This game just blew my tiny little mind to pieces. The graphics are undoubtedly the best ever made. I do not exagerate at all. MGS4 is the only game to take up the whole 50G of the Blu-Ray, and that's after extensive data compression. This game was one of the reasons I returned my XBOX 360 and got a PS3 (thank God I still had the receipt!)
    And what is it with hating the cutscenes?
    And what is it with hating the cutscenes?
    The cutscenes are jaw-droppingly amazing and quite enticing. And the story is complex, but it is also the best of any game so far.
    10/10.
  86. AlexC
    Dec 28, 2008
    Unless you're just in it for the exciting online aspect, this one isn't for the casual gamer. No time is taken to explain the meaning behind the onslaught of terminology that peppers the sprawling cutscenes that make up most of this very narrative title. For those who endure the windingly intense cinematic sections are rewarded with barrel-blazing vehicle chases, unforgettableUnless you're just in it for the exciting online aspect, this one isn't for the casual gamer. No time is taken to explain the meaning behind the onslaught of terminology that peppers the sprawling cutscenes that make up most of this very narrative title. For those who endure the windingly intense cinematic sections are rewarded with barrel-blazing vehicle chases, unforgettable boss battles, NINJAS, giant robot battles, NINJAS, classic secret agent action (or a frantic Gears' style shooter if stealth isn't your thing) and NINJAS! Expand
  87. PatrickNorris
    Nov 17, 2009
    I never played the earlier games, but this game was just awesome. Fun combat with lots of stealth, lots of ways to play and a futuristic and dynamic storyline. Fantastic cut scenes and voice acting. A must have for any action game fan. One of the few games I've finished.
  88. SzymonC
    Dec 13, 2009
    Absolutely the best game of the current generation. Maybe my judgement is clouded by the fact that I'm a MGS fan, but personally I can't find any flaws on the diamond called Metal Gear Solid 4. The great story brings closure to all the pivotal questions. Raiden redeems himself in my eyes: earlier I considered him to be a fag, now this character is more humanlike. The gameplay Absolutely the best game of the current generation. Maybe my judgement is clouded by the fact that I'm a MGS fan, but personally I can't find any flaws on the diamond called Metal Gear Solid 4. The great story brings closure to all the pivotal questions. Raiden redeems himself in my eyes: earlier I considered him to be a fag, now this character is more humanlike. The gameplay finaly is built in a way that we can choose between rambolike shooting and stealh killing - it's simply superb and has much replayability. I could go on and on with superlatives, but I will only say: I salute to you Solid Snake, you gave me many hours of fun and adventure but now your time has come to an end and you can rest in peace. I guess the only bad thing about MGS4 is the fact that after a year and a half it still didn't get trophies and that the saga had to end. Of course, soon Peace Waker will come out but it's not the same big MGS, it's just a spin-off. Btw. Sorry for the errors, but I'm from Poland so this isn't my mother tongue. Expand
  89. BigBoss
    Dec 14, 2009
    Alright first of all if your not a fan of the series and have not played or liked the other games then don't even bother because it will most likely lose anyone dumb enough not to play the others. Second the long cut scenes explain the other games just in case you were dumb enough not to play the others so don't complain. Third this game emphasizes stealth even though it lets Alright first of all if your not a fan of the series and have not played or liked the other games then don't even bother because it will most likely lose anyone dumb enough not to play the others. Second the long cut scenes explain the other games just in case you were dumb enough not to play the others so don't complain. Third this game emphasizes stealth even though it lets you go all out and blast your way through the levels. Fourth if you don't like the story game play and cut scenes go make your own damn game, mass produce it, sell it and make one of the top ranked games in the world. Otherwise stop hating because the game was to difficult for your tiny mind to handle. On another note I think Snake deserved something better than what happened and It would have been fine if they turned him back to his original age. Its also very sad this is the last time we shall see very important characters such as : Solid Snake, Big Boss, Ocelot, Liquid and others. This game deserves a 10 because it has phenomenal game play, cut scenes, dialog, action and story. Expand
  90. TylerDurden
    Dec 18, 2009
    This is not so much a game, as an awesome interactive movie experience. All these people who are dogging it for too little gameplay and too much move time are definitely exagerrating (360 owners probably). The cutscenes are AWESOME (I was BLOWN AWAY by the Raiden vs. Vamp in South America), and the gameplay is great. My only complaint, if you could even call it that, is that the bosses This is not so much a game, as an awesome interactive movie experience. All these people who are dogging it for too little gameplay and too much move time are definitely exagerrating (360 owners probably). The cutscenes are AWESOME (I was BLOWN AWAY by the Raiden vs. Vamp in South America), and the gameplay is great. My only complaint, if you could even call it that, is that the bosses were too easy, but I'm about to play through it again on a harder setting! Although the boss fights were easy, they were fun and the characters were really cool. I like how the producers realized how MSG1 was the best one, and incorporated much of what made that games so great into MSG$. A triumph. Expand
  91. Oct 6, 2010
    Considering MGS4 just a game is a pretty limitative point of view: in fact, it is so absorbing that its fruition will broaden your gaming horizons up to a new level. Those who rated this game with negative votes didn't understand this work of art. This is actually the best multimedia experience I've had in my whole life.
  92. Nov 22, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Without a doubt one of the best games ever produced to date. The finale is spectacular even surpassing many works of cinema. From 0 to 10 the game is worth 11 for all of your script and the final scene worthy of a genius. Expand
  93. Mar 15, 2011
    This game is amazing and its the only reason I've bought PlayStation 3. I've played first 3 games on PS2 and I loved them but this one is a pinnacle of the MGS series. You should buy it immediately.
  94. May 3, 2011
    its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the
  95. Jun 24, 2011
    i just beat this game for the fifth time in the past years since it came out, and i have to say, it still holds up and even beats some games out graphically. Game play did indeed change between series to fit a more casual audience, but it was for the better, as it made the game into a more fluid experience during those big set pieces. There's a ton of stuff aimed at fans that they willi just beat this game for the fifth time in the past years since it came out, and i have to say, it still holds up and even beats some games out graphically. Game play did indeed change between series to fit a more casual audience, but it was for the better, as it made the game into a more fluid experience during those big set pieces. There's a ton of stuff aimed at fans that they will understand FAR more to players who just pick it up because of the Hype factor. GOTYAY Expand
  96. Sep 13, 2011
    I really enjoyed the game. I felt the graphics are good but not amazing. The story line made the game so much more interesting. The stealth was a little disappointing but it worked really good, I was waiting for the MG1 stealth unit to show up but it didn't. The weapons are really good and customising them was actually impressive. This is one of my favourite games
  97. Sep 23, 2011
    Fun game. There is much cut scenes which may feel too long for most of MW2 players. There's much new to do and it's look great. I can recommend this game for most of player.
  98. Jan 7, 2012
    This was easily the best game I have played. I was wowed by every aspect of the game. I had only played MGS 2 before this and while I ranked it number 2 on my list of best PS2 games ever ( Behind only JAK 3) I thought it was slightly flawed.
    1. The game was not in any way designed for combat which made some boss fights difficult. 2.Sometimes I was left alone not knowing how to proceed to the next stage.
    3.Weapons and equipment were hard to find and amo was scarce until I knew that you could find ammo by picking enemies up and dropping him
    However MGS4 addressed both of these issues. The game was equally geared towards combat and stealth. The weapons feel solid and the stealth mechanics work perfectly. You could run through the levels like an armored tank or you could sneak through like a ninja. Also the objectives were clear and even though the levels were less open you never feel like you are confined. Drebins shop also added lost of variety by allowing you to choose what your play-style was by buying your own weapons and equipment. The cutscenes were beautiful and the story is one of the greatest I have ever encountered in fiction. I enjoyed the cut-scenes immensely although I understand how others may find them tedious. All in all this is one of the best stories ever wrapped in some of the best graphics and game-play ever even now in 2011. I highly recommend that you buy this game especially now that you can buy this game for only 15 euros
  99. Mar 13, 2012
    best game i ever played ..perfect in a every way,u feel like playing real soldier,best story and best aspect of drama,,u must play this game and if u dont own a ps3,,immediately turn off internet and go to shopping,,it is worht it,
  100. Aug 20, 2012
    i played it afeter 3 years, and it's still being the best for me, graphics, history, gameplay, characters, all its perfect in it, if you played all of the Metal Gears befores you should buy this game and if you dont, then what are you waiting for?

1. Guns of the Patriots is almost intimidating in the consistent quality of its ideas, invention, and execution...Even by the series' stratospheric standards, MGS4 is a remarkable high point. [June 2008]
    If you've ever loved any one of the Metal Gear games, or any moments from the series, there will come a moment when MGS 4 will send your spirits soaring. If you've loved them all, well then there'll be many, many more. It’s a masterpiece.
  3. Guns of the Patriots is a frustrating, fractured game that turns Metal Gear Solid's world upside down several times over, but never changes it.