Metro: Last Light PlayStation 3

8.2

1. May 2, 2014
    I couldn't get past the first 2 or 3 hours of this one. It looked pretty and all, but how many stealthy, cramped FPS with Nazis in them do we need anymore? I thought maybe there would be a creep factor to it, but sadly, there was none to be had in my time with it. I enjoyed the first one more in that respect, but the crappy gunplay and frustrating facemask sh*t ended my time with thatI couldn't get past the first 2 or 3 hours of this one. It looked pretty and all, but how many stealthy, cramped FPS with Nazis in them do we need anymore? I thought maybe there would be a creep factor to it, but sadly, there was none to be had in my time with it. I enjoyed the first one more in that respect, but the crappy gunplay and frustrating facemask sh*t ended my time with that one. Bummer, dude. Expand
  2. Sep 25, 2013
    Good first person shooters are rare lately, some of the stealth sections rival TLOU, and the metro has so much character. The gas mask countdown doesn't work for me though, and it feels rushed and is way too short for the money. However except from the usual military Sims it's all we got.
  3. Mar 2, 2014
    I'm not enjoying this game and find I have to push myself just to give it another chance. It seems like it has potential, but I got bored fairly early in the game. The story is alright ... nothing amazing. The weapons are okay, but they're not a lot of fun. The dumb and buggy AI ruins the experience for me; they just make the firefights boring. The stealth is not well done. You can creepI'm not enjoying this game and find I have to push myself just to give it another chance. It seems like it has potential, but I got bored fairly early in the game. The story is alright ... nothing amazing. The weapons are okay, but they're not a lot of fun. The dumb and buggy AI ruins the experience for me; they just make the firefights boring. The stealth is not well done. You can creep up next to an enemy without them sensing you, and then stabbing them looks very unrealistic.
    Like I said, the game has good potential, but these issues I mentioned ruin the experience for me.
  4. Mar 5, 2014
    Highly scripted adventure with weak story and laughable unconvincing characters. Gameplay is actually quite good but scripts ruin everything - you cannot defeat bosses with grenades if the game-designers did not include such an option. 5/10 for tidy stealth gameplay.
  5. May 8, 2014
    Metro Last Light was is what you get when you take a polished top quality shooter, knock it to the ground and choke the ever-loving joy out of it. I struggled through it and was relieved when it was finished.

The story line was convoluted, difficult to follow and -- at times -- absolutely ridiculous, minimising much more interesting human characters and focusing on a strange supernatural plot that had be groaning throughout the last third of the campaign.

The gameplay ranged from way too easy (particularly the stealth components) to way too hard (the extremely difficult mutant battles). I ended up sticking with the same arsenal for most of the campaign which felt dull and monotonous but with little other viable choices available. The focus on equipment management (namely gas mask filters and battery charging) detracts from the gameplay considerably rather than adding additional layers to the experience.

Ammunition is either a famine or a feast, and instead of adding adrenaline and a sense of desperation, it just left me with a sense of frustration and a feeling of being ripped off. Killing a boss with a knife because there is not a single damage-inflicting item in your kit feels like a wasted experience.

Whilst the graphics are pretty and some of the flourishes are pretty cool (for example, wiping blood off the gas mask), the overall environment is just.... depressing. Not only bleak in tone, but small, miserly and particularly linear.

Overall, this game was a real struggle to complete... not just working past the more difficult action sequences, but coming up with the will to find out what happens to characters that I just didn't care about in a world that I never want to see again.
  6. May 19, 2013
    all the ingredient's in which a survival fps horror should be made of, savaging for ammo and filters while in fear of running out of air never knowing what threat is round each comer, you can tell that the developers worked a hell of a lot in creating an immersive atmosphere and it certainly paid off, although for the full experience I recommend playing in ranger without the hud
  7. Jul 22, 2013
    A very nice, well crafted game. Since it's part Bioshock, part Call of Duty, it'll please a wide range of gamers. The graphics are gorgeous at times and dark (almost scary) at some points, making this a very atmospheric game. It also has a haunting scenario, where you need to survive all sorts of threats in post-apocalyptic Russia (from bandits, to mutants, to Nazis). I wanted more depth,A very nice, well crafted game. Since it's part Bioshock, part Call of Duty, it'll please a wide range of gamers. The graphics are gorgeous at times and dark (almost scary) at some points, making this a very atmospheric game. It also has a haunting scenario, where you need to survive all sorts of threats in post-apocalyptic Russia (from bandits, to mutants, to Nazis). I wanted more depth, though, because most of the time I was more worried about life and ammo than anything else, so in a way the CoD part speaks louder here. But it deserves a look if you are interested even the slightest. Expand
  8. Jun 14, 2013
    I know a lot of people like this game and I can understand why. It was just not my cup of tea. It has a good atmosphere good controls and good graphics but something is missing for me, I do not know what it is but something always felt missing in this game. This game probably deserves a higher score than 7 but the experience I had with the game was a 7 and I will not lie and put it anyI know a lot of people like this game and I can understand why. It was just not my cup of tea. It has a good atmosphere good controls and good graphics but something is missing for me, I do not know what it is but something always felt missing in this game. This game probably deserves a higher score than 7 but the experience I had with the game was a 7 and I will not lie and put it any higher, just my opinion.. Expand
  9. Feb 13, 2014
    Metro: Last Light is a game with lots of atmosphere, with some fun shooting put in. It doesn't do anything excellent, but does allot okay. Graphics wise, it tries to put so much on the screen, that it looks very bland. Nothing really stands out in it, but its really gritty.
  10. Sep 7, 2013
    Have to agree with Tarsus below. The game is alright but personally it feels like a sub par game. The voice acting is atrocious. The environments, while nicely done, are really small and it feels like I am moving from box to box. The story sucks. It definitely feels more like a PC game and the graphics on PC are excellent but give the game a miss if your buying for consoles. The graphicsHave to agree with Tarsus below. The game is alright but personally it feels like a sub par game. The voice acting is atrocious. The environments, while nicely done, are really small and it feels like I am moving from box to box. The story sucks. It definitely feels more like a PC game and the graphics on PC are excellent but give the game a miss if your buying for consoles. The graphics on the PS3 are terrible. Skyrim looks better then this. Expand
  11. Aug 30, 2013
    Metro: Last Light: A mostly good FPS with some decent scares and an amazing environment. Lets start with the best thing about the game: The radiation crazy Moscow, the environments in this game are amazing and truly make you feel like you are actually there along with the realistic details such as changing gas mask filters and wiping your mask. Now this is a good game, not great but good.Metro: Last Light: A mostly good FPS with some decent scares and an amazing environment. Lets start with the best thing about the game: The radiation crazy Moscow, the environments in this game are amazing and truly make you feel like you are actually there along with the realistic details such as changing gas mask filters and wiping your mask. Now this is a good game, not great but good. Purely because the story was all over the place, taking control of Artyom again was entertaining but felt a bit pointless. The way decisions have an effect on your ending is complete garbage, I did everything good and still got the bad ending which made me feel like I had been sucker punched. Weapons: not a great variety and yes, help you against creatures but feel underpowered. A decent game. 7/10 Expand
  12. Jun 25, 2014
    I wouldn't play it for the story, but the atmosphere and the post-apocalyptic world they created is spectacular. The mechanics are similar to most other shooters, but with solid and optional stealth added. That element is however not that exciting since you can just shoot the light-sources and sneak easily past most encounters.

Again, the story is there but not the main attraction. The

Again, the story is there but not the main attraction. The game presents the story as a central attraction, but I'm not sure how worthwhile it is anyway.

The base game is just the campaign with a chapter selector. It doesn't seem like much, but the trophies are spread in different play-styles so it still feels like a pretty big game, and the game world is big, though linear.

Is the game tense? Yep, in some places. It switches between exploration, NPCs, stealth, and straight-up action. Those elements were balanced in an unpredictable and entertaining way.

The graphics and settings make the game feel quite realistic, but the fantasy elements broke my immersion a few times, because I didn't follow the logic that suddenly got bend by the 'magic' elements.
  13. May 24, 2013
    The game isn't half bad.
    It's weaker than the original metro, but it's still pretty solid.
    Ignore all the 10's you see because they're are people that can't do a proper evaluation.
    This game could be much better! It could have use a more exploring type shooter, but instead its to linear and the areas feel like really small and don't give me much of a challenge.
  14. May 29, 2013
    A really good game. It is a little jarring how different it is to Metro 2033, but once you get into it, it's easy to understand that they've crafted a quality game. It controls well and the graphics are good. Very enjoyable overall. It is a bit glitchy, but not enough to where it takes away from the experience. Good stuff, recommended.
  15. Jun 6, 2013
    Metro: Last Light is a great game help back by bugs, sometimes making it unplayable, which is a shame really. The story is strong and the gameplay is great when it's actually working. The game is gorgeous looking as well. I couldn't recommend Metro: Last Light to a PS3 owner as it is so damn buggy.
  16. Jul 24, 2013
    well i dont agree to most of the critics as they've stated improved in-game graphics, it just ain't what trailor and game promo has promised, at some extend game story is good, not much variety in guns either, just old stuff from previous version of game.......
  17. Jul 26, 2013
    I bought this game on recommendation from one of the employees at a local GameStop. He hadn't let me down before, but this one was definitely a mark against his credibility. Personally, I found that the story wasn't really up to par with other games that are out right now (i.e. Bioshock, The Last of Us, etc.). Another complaint that I had was the voice acting. It was possibly some of theI bought this game on recommendation from one of the employees at a local GameStop. He hadn't let me down before, but this one was definitely a mark against his credibility. Personally, I found that the story wasn't really up to par with other games that are out right now (i.e. Bioshock, The Last of Us, etc.). Another complaint that I had was the voice acting. It was possibly some of the worst voice acting I've seen. Closely related was the AI, which was reminiscent of early PS3 titles like Rainbow 6 Vegas. I also experienced various glitches throughout the part of the game that I could stand to play. The levels were not easy to navigate and I found myself walking around the same area for 10 minutes after I cleared out the enemies. I could only stand to play about half of the game and I returned it the same day I bought it. I don't recommend purchasing this game. Expand
  18. Sep 17, 2014
    Great characters and great game in general.The bad point is the non-original story.We are playing metro last light but it seems like all of the others games.But except for this, I recommend it.
  19. Feb 10, 2014
    Metro: Last Light (MLL) is a shooter that delivers both satisfying gameplay and realistic, virbrant environment. After a nuclear warfare that completely destroyed Moscow, mankind now dwells underground as the surface is completely inhabitable. To make things worse animals have mutated into monsters due to the nuclear radiation. That is why in this world civilization made the Moscow metroMetro: Last Light (MLL) is a shooter that delivers both satisfying gameplay and realistic, virbrant environment. After a nuclear warfare that completely destroyed Moscow, mankind now dwells underground as the surface is completely inhabitable. To make things worse animals have mutated into monsters due to the nuclear radiation. That is why in this world civilization made the Moscow metro system their home, stations now cities, but beyond that tunnels are still occupied by monsters. What is impressive is that Deep Silver managed to make the surface of Moscow even scarier than the dark underground. Up there, gas mask is a must and debris and corpses of the old Moscow are everywhere. The world of Metro is simply realistic, fascinating and easily the best part of the game.
    Levels are somewhat linear, but that is not a problem since they are so realistic and carefully designed: just walking in them is a thrill. Different parts of the level, however, are awkwardly connected together. You jump onto ledges instead of climbing onto them; after you fall into water instead of start swimming you will first struggle for a few seconds then automatically teleport to the nearest ground--even if they are a few meters from you.
    MLL is a solid shooter. You can feel the weight and precision of your weapon, which is well designed and can be customized to your needs. Just everything you expect in a fps.
    As is many other post-apocalyptic games nowadays, in MLL survivors are divided into factions that compete with each other for the scarce supply of necessities. You will often run into soldiers of opposing factions, which is when stealth comes into play. Whereas it is satisfying to hide in the shadow of the underground, stealth in MLL is very easy. You have a gadget that conveniently shows if you are in the light (that is, if you are in the brightest of light; you are still considered hidden if the light is not strong enough), and when it indicates you are hidden, human enemies will never see you. And I mean it. You can crouch and walk right into their face and you can bet if they will spot you. (hint: they won't.) You also don't need to do it slowly as you never make any sound. Indeed, not even when people are talking to you. (the protagonist never speaks in the campaign)
    The first half of MLL is by far the better half. This is when you mainly sneak around the tunnels struggling to survive everything there are. In the second half, however, Deep Silver somehow decided that they want to change MLL into a fantasy game. I won't spoil anything important, but you will be given super powers such as seeing through walls and mind reading. Why? While they didn't completely screw it up and at some points I even found myself liking this setting, I'd still prefer it if they kept MLL a pure apocalypse game.
    MLL is a fairly easy game. Although I am on the highest difficulty of hardcore, I hardly need to use any item, which is very, very abundant in the levels. Since around 4 hours into the game I had been fully stocked on everything and never used more than tenth of my money. It will take around 7 hits for enemies to kill you in this highest difficulty, but thankfully human enemies in MLL are pretty good shots and your health regeneration is very slow which evens this up.
    Even with all these issues, MLL is still an overall good game. If you are interested in fascinating worlds of post apocalypse worlds or post-apocalyptic genre in general, MLL is definitely a game to go for.
    Disclaimer: I have noticed that this review is bugged and might appear multiple times in the same list with different ratings in certain occasions. If that is that case please overlook any other version of this review; my rating for Metro is 8.

1. Even though Metro: Last Light successfully convinces you that you are actually wandering around in a post-apocalyptic Moscow, a number of technical issues do break the carefully constructed illusion from time to time. [June 2013, p.66]
  2. Jun 9, 2013
    A more coherent and compelling story than the first marred by an occasional lack of direction. [July 2013, p.66]
  3. Jun 4, 2013
    A really good experience. There’s enough here for fans of action, stealth and survival to enjoy. Though the series seems to have moved on from being scary the majority of the time, it does this progression in a way that feels natural.