8.7

1. SeanO.
    Mar 17, 2008
    Kind of disappointed. In single player (non-online) mode the game looks great. Only exception really is the players moonwalking to get under fly balls but that can be overlooked. Playing against the computer in a baseball game is kind of a crapshoot though as your playing against a line of code and not an actual human so pitching and such are somewhat blind luck. So I play online and the Kind of disappointed. In single player (non-online) mode the game looks great. Only exception really is the players moonwalking to get under fly balls but that can be overlooked. Playing against the computer in a baseball game is kind of a crapshoot though as your playing against a line of code and not an actual human so pitching and such are somewhat blind luck. So I play online and the game kind of falls apart. Check swings are a mystery as you'll think you've rung someone up on a pitch only to see their basically full swing be called a check swing. Then also never throw a change-up.. for some reason this is a pitch that, with the slight lag you have online, gets hit consistently and most of the time for a HR. There are quite a few other problems I've encountered but I'll leave it up to you to find them.... otherwise it's a decent game. Expand
  2. Scooter
    Apr 6, 2008
    Their is still to many bugs especially with fielding and those damn lazy animations. hitting seems somewhat pre-determined , right on the sweet part of the barrel and I ground out hard. Get jammed and its a homerun. Graphics during night games are very unimpressive. And its still way better than MLB2K8. Mvp 2005 still has the best pitcher/batter physics and it was fun. Its a video game Their is still to many bugs especially with fielding and those damn lazy animations. hitting seems somewhat pre-determined , right on the sweet part of the barrel and I ground out hard. Get jammed and its a homerun. Graphics during night games are very unimpressive. And its still way better than MLB2K8. Mvp 2005 still has the best pitcher/batter physics and it was fun. Its a video game make it fun. But we get boring and buggy. Expand
  3. JimS.
    Jan 31, 2009
    I cannot understand why this game has an average of 9.4 from users. It simply does not deserve it. The graphics are good, but that is all that would be of a 9.5 score quality. That seems to be the story all too often these days, but I digress.

The controls are horrendous. Accidentally throwing to the wrong base cannot be corrected by pressing the proper button in time (you press X with the faintest pressure, by God the ball is going to home plate from right field). All base throws are done with right thumb (main buttons) yet cutoff man is left index (L1). Without game-specific conditioning to diminish natural tendencies this causes your outfielders to prance around and frolick (jump with ball from R1) instead of throw to the cutoff man. Steals and passed balls are difficult to notice. The camera cuts and the crowd cheers all the time; these are not properly noticeable indicators for something that would be blatantly obvious on an actual baseball diamond. Diving at R2 is not intuitive for me, and since it has to be coupled with a L-stick direction, middle infielder diving catches are impossible--I react with plenty of time but instead of my reaction consisting of pressing a button, I frantically and fruitlessly try to remember which button to press. There are no options to reassign controls outside Classic/New.

The coding is also poor. This game was churned out without much work on anything outside the Road to the Show feature--everything else was largely ignored. The sportscasters, for example, commonly make mistakes like talking about the other team's cleanup hitter when yours is at the plate. I have noticed at least four unique scenarios where the commentator programming draws the wrong data.

I have played one full Spring Training in franchise mode, and I still do not have a grasp of the fielding controls and make many user-generated (and often unscored) errors all the time. The controls should work well enough to pick up after playing 30 games.

I also own a Wii, and with vastly fewer system resources, EA's MLB 2k8 is simply a better game than this one.

5.5/10

MLB '08 delivers on every gameplay front. The on-field play is excellently done, the stat tracking is immense, and Road to the Show is one of the best career modes around. Visually striking, this is the baseball game that baseball fans have been waiting for on the PS3.
    There are an overwhelming number of features in this game that should keep even the most die-hard fan happy until next spring.
  3. Since I am hopelessly addicted to Road to the Show, MLB 08 gets my nod for the game you’ll get the most out of – but you really have to be into the concept of creating a player and raising him from a minor league hopeful to a major league all-star.