NHL 09 PlayStation 3

7.7

Apr 8, 2009
    Pros: game looks great, opponent AI is smart, good degree of control for team strategy, innovative player controls cons: teammate AI is horrible, framerate issues, no season/stanley cup mode, control takes a lot of getting used to and still doesn't always feel self-intuitive conclusion: the steep learning curve may be frustrating for many people. aside from that, its great if you Pros: game looks great, opponent AI is smart, good degree of control for team strategy, innovative player controls cons: teammate AI is horrible, framerate issues, no season/stanley cup mode, control takes a lot of getting used to and still doesn't always feel self-intuitive conclusion: the steep learning curve may be frustrating for many people. aside from that, its great if you want to put the time into learning to play, or for be a pro mode. if youre not interested in BAP, dynasty is good, but if you don't like the depth, the lack of other modes would make me encourage you to look elsewhere. Expand
  2. Tdaley
    Sep 15, 2008
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is absolutely without question the greatest sports title ever produced to date. There is absolutely nothing I can come up with to knock this game.
    It is perfect in every respect and the online gameplay is simply flawless. This game will make you forget you ever bought Madden, NCAA Football, or NBA LIVE.
  3. OddyOh
    Sep 21, 2008
    The best hockey game yet for PS3. However, I can't give it 10/10 due to the lack of Custom Arena Music, a feature they promised to deliver for 360 and PS3. Also, could use a patch for some other weird things here and there. But overall, yes, it's an awesome game. Be a Pro mode is excellent fun!
  4. peterG
    Mar 5, 2009
    I'm glad that EA sports has finally decided to put some effort into their NHL games. For a while there, they never really added huge things to the gameplay until NHL08, which actually surprised me despite the fact that there wasn't very many game modes. this year, I was thinking that this game would be pretty much the same as 08, until I realised that there was be a pro, thats I'm glad that EA sports has finally decided to put some effort into their NHL games. For a while there, they never really added huge things to the gameplay until NHL08, which actually surprised me despite the fact that there wasn't very many game modes. this year, I was thinking that this game would be pretty much the same as 08, until I realised that there was be a pro, thats why I got this game. Although Be a pro mode to me was disappointing becaus they expect so much out of you even tohugh your linemates can't even do a freaken one timer.... However, there were some additions that I did like and the main thing being the online league.... that is awesome!! Expand
  5. davidl
    Nov 12, 2008
    In hockey it doesn't get much better then this. I've owned about 10 different NHL games in my lifetime all the way dating to NHL94. there is a huge improvement over nhl08. the game isn't drastically different but there are so many fine tuned areas that needed adjustments in 08' and they hit it pretty dead on with 09'. they use the same gfx engine but cleaned it up In hockey it doesn't get much better then this. I've owned about 10 different NHL games in my lifetime all the way dating to NHL94. there is a huge improvement over nhl08. the game isn't drastically different but there are so many fine tuned areas that needed adjustments in 08' and they hit it pretty dead on with 09'. they use the same gfx engine but cleaned it up and fixed the framerate issues that were seen in 08. online is fantastic, once in a while i run into lag but it gives you the option to only play people only in your region so that can help avoiding lag. generally after a while of playing iif you know what you are doing the games are fair online and there are no real exploits that i know of right now that work. there was one goal exploit but it was fixed within a month or so of release. ****10/10 in my book, a must buy. Expand

1. Otherwise, NHL 09 is easily in the running for the title of Best Hockey Game Ever, with some people leaning towards one of the great games of the past and others leaning towards the dearth of great modes in NHL 09.
  2. Move over Blades of Steel, NHL 09 has earned its place among the greatest sports games of all time.
    It’s almost a perfect game. Severe online connection bugs and freezing problems hamper the experience enough that we can’t give it a full five out of five.