7.1

1. Sep 8, 2010
    Most sports game are so close to their last years game that many don't believe the newest version is relevant. Well NHL 11 stepped it up. NHL 11 will make NHL 10 obsolete in the next few weeks. I dare you to play NHL 11 then try to play NHL 10. It is a big difference. This game fine tuned everything perfectly except for one thing, which, can also be looked at as a good thing. The great players in this game are a blast to play as, but the bad players are so bad it can be irritating at their slow speeds and inability to deke on a goalie with enough speed to cause any trickery. With that being said it can also be look at as a good thing making the skill level between each league very drastic. In real life the CHL players are not as good as NHL players so I suppose it is a good thing to have that in the game too. Expand
  2. Sep 17, 2010
    Dont listen to those negative reviews ..this is a class game I got 09 but skipped 10, so for me its a very new game..if your a hockey fan or just a gamer who likes a fast action packed game , then get this, its stacked with options and sliders to suit even the fussiest gamer. Great game worth every penny (or dollar)
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    EA has the monopoly in most sports games and it shows. They barely improve their games over the years and not much is done to fix the obvious problems. It's the realism of hockey they have yet to capture, and NHL 11 unfortunately does nothing to change this. The animations are either too stiff or too relaxed, their movement rarely looks natural. Only the goalie is very well done. The crowd still looks like Sims in Sims 1. They need to improve this. Unfortunately the physics have not improved. Therefore instead of tripping on a fallen player, you simply "push him" on the ice. Every time you check a player, it's as if there is a cushion that alters the impact of the hit, and checking rarely is fun to do, you have the impression that you didn't deliver a strong enough hit most of the time. There's some problems with noises and sounds. The crowd will sometimes react over something insignificant while you might do something else that could be the promise of a great play, and there's no reaction from the attendance. I don't understand why they are not putting the real coaches behind the bench. Penalties ( especially when playing against the AI ) are often weird. For example, you will check a player during the whistle, and while the game is stopped, he will chase you without hitting you. Doesn't matter, you both get a penalty over this, even if there wasn't any contact after the whistle. The be a pro mode is interesting, but you quickly realize that the "coach" doesn't make his decisions based on the entire team. If you end up moving up or down a line it's only because of what you did, not what the other players did. They need to add a french announcer to Montreal and Ottawa games and they need to put the real songs that are played when a team scores instead of a random song. I know these are very small details, but these details lack in great numbers, and all of them combined remove the realism that most of us are looking for. On another note I would like to point out that EA are greedy as hell. If you buy this game in used form, you must pay to play online. Now that wouldn't be a problem if EA wouldn't shut their servers down a couple of years after the release of most of their games. It's time for EA to step their game up, hire some Canadians who actually know what hockey is and make them recreate this franchise. Right now it looks like a corpse that you keep trying to reanimate and it doesn't look good. For the positive remarks, there are many, many teams to choose from. You can play with CHL teams or european teams, the choices are extremely various. Most of the game modes are fun and well done. Being a General Manager is fun, but it lacks the depth and, especially, algorithms that made Eastside ( a computer game where you'd be a GM ) famous. The songs are all good ones, although some are merely playing in arenas, some other are already famous ( Joe Satriani's song, for example, is often used in arenas in real life ). I kinda wish they could've added some old school stuff like "We Will Rock You" and "The Good Ol' Hockey Game". Expand
  4. Sep 9, 2010
    While not without minor flaws (Frame rate drops during cut-scenes....still) NHL 11 has minimal room for complaint. Team EA Canada put an emphasis on the slew of new gameplay tweaks this years NHL would have in store, and they do not disappoint. With a deep and engaging online mode, and improved offline modes (GM, Season, and Be-A-Pro) NHL 11 essentially raised the bar for hockey games to come. With the new jaw-dropping physics engine, a surprising amount of new content, and enough game modes to last you well into the year 2011, NHL 11 is a no-brainier. Buy it immediately. Expand
  5. Sep 13, 2010
    Another year another way to exploit the game. Hits are more useless than ever and since passing is near impossible get ready for a lot of one guy staking figure 8's in the offensive zone around everybody then taking a wrister. Not like you'll get bumped off the puck and its not like its worth it to pass. In an age of video games where Bungie has programmed AI to grenade, flank, and attack I don't understand how EA cant get their AI to do basic things like, you know, grab the puck if its right in front of them or not abandon a 2on1 to see whats going on behind the net. The ice is so pretty back here. And 60 bucks again? C'mon. Expand
  6. Aug 23, 2011
    I previously rated this game 9 but would like to ammend my opinion. This game could easily be rated as 10. What is offered is a very large package with what i feel is a lot of possible inprovements in gameplay dynamics. Unfortunately the entire package is ruined beyond frustration by both sloppy maintenance and a thirsty greed of making money by selling add ons (consumables) within the game modes. This game receives constant updates and tuners which can be frustrating to the novice but after playing a full season the frustration is that EA is not very careful what they are selling and their concern is not to correct any mistakes but rather to plow forward and make more sales off consumables instead. They really don't care that their games has errors and how this translates to unfairness to the players playing. Furthermore they alter speeds and tuners in their favor during sales of packages to minimize players taking advantage of them since players tend to want to play tournaments to win spendable in game currency. The result is a choatic imbalanced game no longer based on stats but players vs EA sucker punching each other. Had this game been released without consumables I think they had the potential to nail this game as a solid 10. However with this ongoing struggle in how to maximize consumable profits the game has suffered huge. EA is constantly altering things and with every alteration it seems new glitches which remain and become either exploits or just pure frustration not having your players or software behave properly. EA has bit off more than they can chew playing around with altering the gameplay and a ton of features alway contain fresh glitches as a result of sloppiness. Buy with caution. Expand
  7. Sep 15, 2010
    NHL 11 is exactly like Madden 11. Every year it is just an updated roster and slower gameplay. The Ultimate Team game mode is also very frustrating as no one really plays it.
  8. Sep 15, 2010
    NHL11 in my opinion is not only the best of the series but also the best sport game of all time, it surpasses all the other competitors by a top notch. In this year game, it's all about the details, they make the game more innovative then ever. Try it you will not be dissapointed, even for a new guy to the series.
  9. Sep 16, 2010
    NHL 11 is the best of the series. I cant stop playin it, especially be a pro mode online. the gameplay is perfect and i feel like im actually out there skatin on the ice. the graphics are totally insane they look so real. they also have the team logos at center ice now so its way more authentic.
  10. Sep 16, 2010
    This is by far the best NHL game I have played in many years. The game is more realistic then ever. Its fun to play with all the different players that you dont know and get there rating up so they become better. I like mixing up my lines and seeing what works and what doesnt. The be a Pro Mode is by far the best. I love having the control of just my player and setting up my teammates for easy goals.

Great Game!!
  11. Jun 29, 2011
    If I had reviewed this in September or October, I probably would've given it a 10, simply because I love hockey, and a new hockey video game gets me all excited. But I've been playing it for almost 10 months now, so I have an honest opinion on it. It's the best hockey game available, no question. And, for the most part, there was no disappointment. The AI goalies and players are at their best, in my opinion (I play all-star difficulty), and the graphics, passing, hitting, playoff mode, GM mode and scoring are too. I suppose my main complaints are the Be a Pro mode, and the online mode. Be a Pro is decent, but it has some serious flaws. For some reason, the AI is worse. As a forward, you will be the leading scorer on your team by a MILE. An example: on the Carolina Hurricanes (I was drafted 13th overall, didn't choose the Canes), about 20 games in, i had about 25 points. Nothing wrong with that, as scoring isn't necessarily easy, but I am the only one TRYING to score. Eric Staal, a regular 80 point guy in real life, had 4 points. 4 points in 20 games... seriously? Goalie mode is worse. You will be lucky to face 20 shots in a game, and turning up the difficulty doesn't increase the shots, it simply makes the puck impossibly hard to stop, especially with a 75 overall goalie. Online would be fantastic if it weren't for EA's now trademark connection problems. The game modes are great, but it would be so much better if it weren't so laggy (especially on Team mode, when you play with 11 other guys). Thankfully, EVERYTHING else about this game is stellar, and that earns it an 8 from me. EA just needs to fix some harsh flaws for NHL 12... which I will more than likely be buying... as always... Expand
  12. Jun 25, 2012
    Just as good as NHL 12, and that terrible manual passing issue is non-existent. NHL is probably the only EA game series I may ever buy again, I dislike them, but this game is great.
  13. Oct 26, 2014
    The Nhl series are always the same.The only changing thing is some controls the name of the players and the teams doesn't always have the same players.But despite the fact of being repetitive (what can you do it's a sport game it will always be repetitive) i recommend it.

1. Jan 12, 2011
    There's little to nothing in NHL 11 to complain about. The quality of the presentation is fantastic and you can tell EA went to tremendous lengths to tweak the gameplay to improve the hockey experience.
  2. Jan 10, 2011
    For the puck lovers, it's still the best simulation out there. Yet, it shows too many similarities with its predecessor.
  3. Jan 10, 2011
    That said, there is no denying that NHL 11 provides an enjoyable recreation of ice hockey, which manages to be both accessible to newcomers and packed with content to entertain more dedicated fans.