Papo & Yo PlayStation 3

8.0

1. Dec 11, 2015
    I played this game thanks to the PS+ subscription but I'll be reviewing it like if i paid its full price as it is no longer free to download.

Papo & Yo is another one of those examples that proves that videogames can be a medium for art, with its own personal story transmitting so many messages in a lovely universe supported by excellent music, there is no objective point to criticize the design of this game, but like every form of art your appreciation of its message will be very personal and therefore you may not like it at all.

Technically this is a good game, for small studio, good PS3 graphics (again for an indie game) and no important bugs, the controls are responsive, there is nothing exceptional here but also nothing harming the experience.

Now let's talk about what hurts, the length of game, count only 2 hours in a half to finish it, with very small replay value (you would probably remember every puzzle as they are not tough), even for 15€/$ it's not enough in my book.

To conclude even if I deeply enjoyed the game I can not rate Papo & Yo over 7 due to its extremely short length and the fact that some of you may not care at all about the story for the exact same reasons than I loved it. But if you're looking for "art games" you'll want to check this one out.
  2. Mar 19, 2015
    It's one of those games that uses abstract storytelling and symbolism to tell a mature and emotional tale. However gameplay and presentation deficiencies keep from being able to stand next to the likes of ICO and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. While it doesn't have the gameplay strength those titles have it does have the emotional depth they do. That's what makes this worth a look.It's one of those games that uses abstract storytelling and symbolism to tell a mature and emotional tale. However gameplay and presentation deficiencies keep from being able to stand next to the likes of ICO and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. While it doesn't have the gameplay strength those titles have it does have the emotional depth they do. That's what makes this worth a look.

However it still won't be for everyone. Many won't be able to get past the fact that the game still feels like it's in beta. Graphics are dated which hinders the beauty the world would have otherwise had. The lack of polish in the gameplay is just as evident. Mechanics can be quite awkward at times.

It's a very simple game. Puzzles aren't tough and the whole thing can be breezed through in about 3 hours. Outside of collectibles that pop up after you beat the game there isn't going to be much of a reason to give it a second go. It is a bare bones experience but one that's still worth checking out.

The story of the game couldn't be told this way in any other medium. Thats definitely it's greatest strength. While I'm happy to see another game with emotional weight out there it's not hard for me to wish the gameplay had received more attention. More variety in challenges would have been appreciated and it can seem like you're getting so little for your money.

Those who enjoy games that tell thought-provoking stories in interesting ways should give this a shot. The message is strong even if the gameplay isn't. There's nothing particularly broken or bad about it, but there are plenty of better puzzle-platformers out there. It's best to come into this wanting storytelling and message first and gameplay and length second.
  3. Aug 18, 2012
    It is a great game. If you have some spare time and don't know what to do, then Papo & Yo will perfectly fill the gap between afternoon and evening. Some fresh mechanics will bring a smile to your face, unique narrative provides nostalgia and your childhood memories with childish fantasy comes back immediately. From time to time, outstanding acoustic music is so perfect, that you just sitIt is a great game. If you have some spare time and don't know what to do, then Papo & Yo will perfectly fill the gap between afternoon and evening. Some fresh mechanics will bring a smile to your face, unique narrative provides nostalgia and your childhood memories with childish fantasy comes back immediately. From time to time, outstanding acoustic music is so perfect, that you just sit and listen to it very, very loud. It really is a great peace of work... but definitely it is not a good puzzle game. It's more like a mixture of platform and simple logic games. Unfortunately, you don't even have to think. Everything is clear just after you enter the new level. That's why I rated Papo & Yo 5. It has very good narrative, music and story, but, in terms of a GAME itself, it really lacks very, very much. Expand
  4. Aug 26, 2012
    It is certainly an interesting game, not the best game you can get for $ 14.99. It's a fairly short game, the graphics are very poor like the sound of the game (No DTS or Dolby Digital sound). The game's music composed by Brian D'Oliveira's is excellent.
    I love that game developers try new things, I can
  5. Aug 15, 2012
    I gave the game a 9. While the gameplay style is specific towards people who enjoy the pure elements of a platformer, the playthrough is entirely unique. With elements that fit together perfectly and a style that is both original and entertaining, I was hooked on the game from the second I picked it up. I completely relate to that as a child (and am beginning to wonder if my childhoodI gave the game a 9. While the gameplay style is specific towards people who enjoy the pure elements of a platformer, the playthrough is entirely unique. With elements that fit together perfectly and a style that is both original and entertaining, I was hooked on the game from the second I picked it up. I completely relate to that as a child (and am beginning to wonder if my childhood wasn't a clever platformer as well). The game incorporates beautiful aspects of imagination. You see Quico rearranging houses in a row so that he can cross the tops of them and reach the other side. Quico pulls a rope and houses move away to form alleyways. Quico uses the belly of Monster to leap to great heights and across gaps. These are all the elements of imagination that solidify the backstory and engage our inner child. Aside from the cohesiveness of the gameplay and backstory, I find that the visuals are engaging as well. Graffiti littering the walls, small houses, the tin roof, pipes and sewage, the smoothness of monster's skin, the children that Quico meets up with. Based on the visuals alone, I would not have expected this game to come from an indie developer such as Minority. There were many scenic vistas throughout the adventure, places where I wish I could stand myself. Once again, though, this reinforced the perspective that all of this was centered around the experience of a child, a child using his imagination and placing himself in awe-inspiring places.

Gameplay was pure platforming. Some people enjoy objective-based platforming, where each of your challenges has a definitive purpose and meaning. "I pull the lever, which releases the doors and allows the scientists to escape from a room filled with toxic gas". That style of gameplay certainly requires a lot of effort, but it isn't necessary for a platformer. In some respects, having that platforming style limits the amount of adventure a story can have. You pull the switch because you have to, not because you are curious as to what it does. The platforming style in Papo y yo encourages the adventuristic style of play. There are tons of coves and places to hide along the way, tiny details that developers added into the game to make it more of an adventure and less of a maze. I found that highly inviting and was overwhelmed by the adventure of the game. I was deeply affected by that personally.

Finally, the backstory was inspirational. I've never found a game with such a touching topic as this was. I first found out about the game by reading the Playstation blog. Picking through the article, I found an issue that is very close to myself, and I think it relates to a lot of people in the community. So many of us deal with issues when we are children, and this definitely brings up a lot of those emotions in us. This is probably the strongest aspect of the game. It was what originally made me interested in the game, and watching gameplay footage was what sold the deal.

In all, I found a very cohesive game that was inspirational, deep, and enjoyable. I have found few games that touch me the way this game has, and I am blessed to have been able to enjoy in this experience, and I profusely thank Minority for creating this game.

1. Games Master UK
    Oct 24, 2012
    Hypnotically old stuff. [Dec 2012, p.85]
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Oct 8, 2012
    It's hard going, but worth the slog. [Nov 2012, p.66]
  3. Oct 1, 2012
    The gameplay halfway between platforming and puzzle-game works and is fun although it's a bit 'limited as varieties and situations, but in the end the relationship between Chico and Monster makes Papo & Yo a very good game and the finale is worth the entire game.