7.3

1. Jan 20, 2013
    A look at this game and you instantly think. "Oh look, trying to cash in on Super Smash Bros." I can see why people would say that, and I thought it myself. After playing this, I found it wasn't a complete clone of SSB. The gameplay is simple. Attack the enemy until they die. Each character is from a PlayStation title (Uncharted Littlebigplanet etc.) and they all have different uniqueA look at this game and you instantly think. "Oh look, trying to cash in on Super Smash Bros." I can see why people would say that, and I thought it myself. After playing this, I found it wasn't a complete clone of SSB. The gameplay is simple. Attack the enemy until they die. Each character is from a PlayStation title (Uncharted Littlebigplanet etc.) and they all have different unique attacks which I like. Like I said in my Far Cry 3 review, graphics don't make a game but I still mention them. The graphics are average, not bad, not good but you can deal with it. Gameplay, is a rather mixed bag. Can be fun, can be bad, glitches ruining the flow, some characters annoying and some voice actors haven't got their original actors. Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale is a mixed bag, unless its at a price of about 25 bucks, then I recommend a rent. I reward this game a 6/10, 6/10 doesn't mean sh**, it means *Meh*. Buy this game if its 30 bucks or less. Expand
  2. Feb 19, 2015
    Definitely a rip-off of the beloved series of Super Smash Bros. with very few changes in gameplay. Sony wasn't being original when they're coming up with this idea.

But overall the game was good. I did enjoy playing as my boys Jak and Daxter and Sly Cooper! The storyline could've been much better if you could give the characters a much better reason to fight each other in the first place. Almost all the rivalry scenes were dull and unlikely to happen.
  3. Nov 20, 2012
    I knew this game was going to be spectacular just because of the Beta. All-Stars is clearly similar to Smash Bros, but it is its own game, and it even happens to do some things better than what inspired it.

I know it'll be hard for some skeptics to believe, but PlayStation All-Stars is an absolute blast to play especially with friends on the couch or online. It can be a lot of chaotic fun because of the great combat, great characters, great ko system, and the interactive stages.

It has lots of content and great variety in the characters. I know some people would like to have more characters, or other character like Spyro and Crash; but as how the game currently is; it is AWESOME!!! And also you can bet that there will be in the future DLC features those 2 characters mentioned most probably.
  4. Nov 20, 2012
    Well I'm a Sony fanboy since my childhood and I just can't hate on this game. Some would say that I'm leniant but in the end is it really that bad? No. It's a very fun game. Flawed with several issues but really entertaining especially with friends. It's not a Smash Bros. clone at all. Similar of course but it differs really much in the core and it has a lot of ambition within itsWell I'm a Sony fanboy since my childhood and I just can't hate on this game. Some would say that I'm leniant but in the end is it really that bad? No. It's a very fun game. Flawed with several issues but really entertaining especially with friends. It's not a Smash Bros. clone at all. Similar of course but it differs really much in the core and it has a lot of ambition within its innovations. It eventually fails to live up to our expectations but oh well as long as you have fun with it you are just fine. Add some personal favs with a bunch of great characters and you get a really good game after all. Expand
  5. Nov 20, 2012
    i know im gonna get smashed. i think this game is better than SSB with more mature characters and a lot of unlockebls you'll be playing this game non stop if you can get through the fanboy CRAP!!!.
  6. Feb 7, 2015
    Many people think that this is a Super Smash Bros. clone, but it really isn't. In Smash, you dont hit people to gain points to finish them off with a Super attack, so don't compare this game to Smash just because its a fighting game. The thing that I don't like about this game however is the lack of modes to play. It's only fight, fight, and fight some more. Overall, the game is decentMany people think that this is a Super Smash Bros. clone, but it really isn't. In Smash, you dont hit people to gain points to finish them off with a Super attack, so don't compare this game to Smash just because its a fighting game. The thing that I don't like about this game however is the lack of modes to play. It's only fight, fight, and fight some more. Overall, the game is decent alone, but much better with friends and family. Expand
  7. Dec 27, 2012
    While the concept of a Cross-Over Party Fighting game is definitly inspired by Super Smash Bros. , no comparisons can be made with the Nintendo successfull franchise. The gameplay is nervous and pretty fun, and some really stressful and therefore really gorgeous 1v1 can be seen. However, the concept of a Super Bar and of killing his opponents only by unleashing that super attack on yourWhile the concept of a Cross-Over Party Fighting game is definitly inspired by Super Smash Bros. , no comparisons can be made with the Nintendo successfull franchise. The gameplay is nervous and pretty fun, and some really stressful and therefore really gorgeous 1v1 can be seen. However, the concept of a Super Bar and of killing his opponents only by unleashing that super attack on your opponents becomes redundant... it's still a really fun game for Local Multiplayer. Expand
  8. Nov 20, 2012
    I love this game! I had a little expectation for it, but bought it and wow was i blown away, so much content too! Everybody has their own story or "arcade" mode like a normal fighter, it may look like smash at first but it is really different.
  9. Nov 20, 2012
    That was huge waste of time and potential game.

That was huge waste of time and potential game.

I played the Demo not long ago, I think I never played a fighting game as horrible as this one... And I thought Street Fighter IV would be the game that would disgust me from fighting games ! Nah, this one takes the cake. I really, ugly version of Super Smash Bros.It just felt like a waste of time and potential game for PS brand. These games have nothing to offer for PS brand SHM guys.
  10. Nov 22, 2012
    the game has most of the elements of a Nintendo "you know what" game but makes changes significant enough to be a game of its own. Its Single player or 1 on 1 matches are probably its weakest points with poor story telling (as expected for a fighter) using still images and narrative and little variety in combat. The roster feels a little on the slim side spanning around 20 characters fromthe game has most of the elements of a Nintendo "you know what" game but makes changes significant enough to be a game of its own. Its Single player or 1 on 1 matches are probably its weakest points with poor story telling (as expected for a fighter) using still images and narrative and little variety in combat. The roster feels a little on the slim side spanning around 20 characters from different franchises within the Playstation legacy. Also, some people may be put off by the choice made to make super moves the only method of killing your opponent. Those are the problems i generally have with the game.

Now that's out of the way, i feel the game is terrific in a party setting, if you can get 3 other people in the game your in for a hell of a good time. Though the roster is fairly small for this type of game, they are very well balanced and diverse(besides good/evil cole). Replacing the Ring outs with super only kills wasn't exactly the greatest idea for the game but i feel that it does it in a way where it requires you to plan and manage yourself in a match. you have 3 supers stages you can do and in order to charge up those supers you have to deal damage with your normal attacks so you don't take damage but if you don't land hits you cant do any supers. Despite what some reviewers say the emphasis in normal attacks are definitely there. Also each stage of super dictates how difficult it will be to actually land it on someone. If you use level 1 supers you will learn that they are not easy to land, so you need to be smart about how you use them unless you don't mind charging that gauge to do it a bunch of times. 2nd level is more persistent but can still be avoided while the 3rd usually guarantees 1-2 kills just keep in mind it takes much longer to get to level 2 and 3 so be ready to dodge a lot of 1st levels if you choose to take either of those routes.

The stages were nicely done as well, the obstacles they throw at you can greatly affect the way you approach someone as sometimes the stage can knock your super gauge down and turn the tides with or against your favor. The mixes made between franchise themes made in each stage is also weird but funny at the same time. Fans of the Sony Franchise are likely to appreciate them, especially the Buzz trivia level where your knowledge of their history will determine how well you do in the level. Overall as i say it is a fantastic game with friends, the added value of getting the Vita version of the game for free (the game is literally identical to this version!)is a bigger plus. This is a game i can definitely recommend to anyone who is into this type of fighter.
  11. Nov 24, 2012
    This is a really solid game and fun as hell both online and with the kids.
    This is a really solid game and fun as hell both online and with the kids.
    It's abit of a button basher but I guess I expected that. The list of characters is really good (Dante is me favourite so far). Don't know why people complaining about characters that are not in the line up right now when it's pretty obvious that they will be added later. Already star hawk charcter is being added as dlc for free, so it's pretty evident that more characters will be added.
    It's a fun game and achieves what it set out to do. I do hope a mode that adds standard fighting with health bars gets added?.
    The only similarities with ssbb is multiple characters from different games fighting on screen. Playability is totally different. Still doesn't stop reviewers from wanting it to be different and others wanting it to be the same as ssbb ( typical inconsistent reviews).
    Still great game and very enjoyable.
    Go get it!.
  12. Nov 20, 2012
    very fun and addicting, this is no Smash Brothers clone at all. anyone who loves party brawlers and loves the Playstation Franchise should not miss the chance to pick this up
  13. Mar 5, 2013
    **This review is based on version 1.08**
    The game got some bad press because of some early balance issues and looking a little too much Super Smash Brothers. Fortunately, the balance issues are by and large fixed, and the game is far more fair and stable than at launch.
    **This review is based on version 1.08**

Super Smash Brothers and Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale couldn't be a whole lot different, both are fun, but very different, I find I prefer PSAS over SSB, and many of my friends who are huge SSB fans agree that this game is definitely a nice change of pace for the party brawler.

The characters are fun, varied, and each takes a while to master. This game isn't as "pick up and play" oriented as Smash Brothers, but it's not needlessly complicated either.

Online game modes are fun, and it's a blast to team up with a friend. Offline or Online, playing with humans is far better than it is playing alone.

As is expected, the single-player story mode is pretty lacking. Cinematic scenes are few, and are made of still pictures of characters with a voice over attached. This isn't a complaint, merely an observation, given that most fighting games aren't designed to be played for story anyway, it's silly to make judgments based on a title's single-player adventure.

Give this game a try with a few friends!
  14. Jun 11, 2013
    I give this game a 9 but I'm getting tired of the comments that rate this game 0. This game is really fun and stop comparing it to SSB, SSB has many games out and this is the first game of PlayStation All Stars so of course it's not going be the best.

POSITIVES: -Fun game play -Final boss is awesome -It can actually find players (Unlike SSB) -Lots of DLC -A wide arrange of

POSITIVES:
    -Fun game play
    -Final boss is awesome
    -It can actually find players (Unlike SSB)
    -Lots of DLC
    -A wide arrange of characters
    -Easy trophies (For those who really want trophies)
    -PlayStation exclusive (Common Xbox, PlayStation rules!)
    -Amazing backgrounds
    -Great fighting styles
    -A way to show off things you've unlocked

NEGATIVES:
    -Players spam moves online
    -Story mode gets very boring and is kinda short
    -There isn't that much players who play online, so you might meet up with the same people
  15. Sep 30, 2015
    It's fun, but if you can get angry easily, then don't play this game. Especially online, so many people cheat it takes the fun away.... But it has a good selection of characters even though they could've added some more...... But overall it's a fun game.
  16. Nov 21, 2012
    As someone who has been waiting for this game sense before it was announced, I will say that this is possibly one of the funnest unique fighting games I have ever played next to Smash Bros.The reason that I say that is because all 20 characters feel different than the last & the level mash ups are amazing,gorgeous and innovative.This is also the first fighting game I actually have alot ofAs someone who has been waiting for this game sense before it was announced, I will say that this is possibly one of the funnest unique fighting games I have ever played next to Smash Bros.The reason that I say that is because all 20 characters feel different than the last & the level mash ups are amazing,gorgeous and innovative.This is also the first fighting game I actually have alot of fun playing by myself or with other.Usually, fighting games are either to repetitive or too complicated but Ps allstars is just right.any one of these characters could have easily been transported into 2-d side scrolling games and would feel awesome to play as.They also all feel like they would from their respected properties which is pretty awesome.Other than that, the game has hundreds of unlockables for each character and tons of content to keep you busy until they add more levels and characters via dlc.Dont even pay attention to any bad reviews because they are all b.s.Give this game a try for both ps vita & ps3. Expand
  17. Nov 23, 2012
    A fantastic game for a number of reasons. You could really tell that Superbot entertainment (the makers of this game) really cared about all the Playstation franchises involved in this game. I smiled sooo many times while playing this game simply because of the great references to all of the Playtstation games involved i all stars. The main reason this game keeps you coming back though isA fantastic game for a number of reasons. You could really tell that Superbot entertainment (the makers of this game) really cared about all the Playstation franchises involved in this game. I smiled sooo many times while playing this game simply because of the great references to all of the Playtstation games involved i all stars. The main reason this game keeps you coming back though is just because of how freaking fun it is. This game is all about strategy and you need to utilize the supers that you gain from beating up on your opponents in creative ways in order to get the max amount of points possible. The online in this game is a heck of a lot of fun and very accessible. Highly recommend picking this game up if your a fan of playstation and even if your not! Can't wait for the sequel! Expand
  18. Nov 20, 2012
    Dá hadouken Ryu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. Nov 23, 2012
    Big fan of the Super Smash series but this one requires more thinking in setups/mixups. I found it more enjoyable and would love to see this series continue with a better Story/Arcade and more characters. Other then that this game is a blast to play!!!
  20. Dec 27, 2012
    Playstation All-Stars is a game that stands on its own. Well this game imports aspects from Super Smash Bros., it is it's own game. Playstation All-Stars incorporates a different new game play system, only being able to KO people through the use of special moves that you build by landing attacks and combos. The roster currently features 20 characters, with more on the way for DLC. ThePlaystation All-Stars is a game that stands on its own. Well this game imports aspects from Super Smash Bros., it is it's own game. Playstation All-Stars incorporates a different new game play system, only being able to KO people through the use of special moves that you build by landing attacks and combos. The roster currently features 20 characters, with more on the way for DLC. The games unlock system could be better as leveling up your characters only allow you to customize your characters and unlock icons etc. instead of your character getting better, however the characters have quite a few customizable options. Offline Arcade Mode is simply battle after battle with no story behind the differing characters. Single Player Mode in general can prepare you for Online Play. Pros: - Maps are very detailed with events throughout the battle - Great multiplayer that is pretty balanced - Not laggy - Fun - Cons: - Single Player isn't detailed - Leveling characters up isn't beneficial. Expand
  21. Jan 18, 2013
    This game, is really good for a game. While we all know it's based of Super Smash Bros, this game is good in it's own right. While the game has it's own bad side (under powered characters to overpowered characters, no actual cut screens in story mode, Toro with that flying glitch that flies your character to the top of the screen and be unreachable). This game is also good too. It is bothThis game, is really good for a game. While we all know it's based of Super Smash Bros, this game is good in it's own right. While the game has it's own bad side (under powered characters to overpowered characters, no actual cut screens in story mode, Toro with that flying glitch that flies your character to the top of the screen and be unreachable). This game is also good too. It is both a clone of SSB and not a clone of SSB. While it copies the four-player fighting style, items usage, etc, this game is also unlike SSB. It replace the % damage meter, and replace it with its own Super Move Meter, it also remove the death by flying off screen that annoyed us for ages. True, they don't add the PSOne mascots like Spyro and Crash, but have its own great roster (Spike, Jak, PaRappa, and Raiden), and unlike SSBB, which it barley any third-party characters (only Snake and Sonic), All-star has a good amount of third-party characters ( 8 of the 20 characters are third-party), with more characters yet to come. The stages on All-stars are not too many to most people liking, it is a good amount. The Stages of this games did a good job with combining games together, like "Dreamscape" (based on LittleBigPlanet and Buzz!). The Stages of All-Star, like SSB, have stage dangers, but unlike SSB, the stage dangers aren't needed to be forced on too much, and will not present danger after awhile (you can even turn of stage dangers). To sum it all up, All-Stars might not beat SSB, but if All-Stars becomes a series, it would eventually past the SSB series. Expand
  22. Jan 30, 2013
    I'm probably going to be very biased here. This is a great game if you are a long time Playstation fan. No, i'm not talking about being a fan since the mid PS2 era. I mean a LOOOONG time Playstation fan. Back when the PS1 was fairly big and competing with the N64. This is not to say that people who grew up at a later era, or are just getting into the console can't enjoy this game either.I'm probably going to be very biased here. This is a great game if you are a long time Playstation fan. No, i'm not talking about being a fan since the mid PS2 era. I mean a LOOOONG time Playstation fan. Back when the PS1 was fairly big and competing with the N64. This is not to say that people who grew up at a later era, or are just getting into the console can't enjoy this game either. This game, much like Smash, is simply a celebration of the history of systems universe, the memories it made for us as kids, and a great way to show off the oldies to the new generation. Though, the selection of characters is a tad disappointing (for both good and bad reasons), and will leaving you asking "Where's Spyro?" or the like. The gameplay is solid, taking it's Ps and Qs directly from Smash, but adding their own twists. It's a real pick up and play game, but it's difficulty leaves something to be desired (one could clear nearly all of the challenges and stories on All-Star mode (Hard mode)) The stages are interesting, but the amount of things going on at once can strain the eyes a bit. Pulling off supers at the right moment is a tad repettitive, but can be wicked fun if you know what you're doing. The story mode is a little bland, leaving only still images with voice overs narrating over it at the start and end, one interesting cutscene when you face off against your "rival character", and the rest of it is a bunch of battles against random characters. No real rhyme or reason. Customization of characters via their taunts, intros, outros and even their victory music is a nice touch, but it's too bad they couldn't take it a step further and have more customization options for the character itself. Online used to be a bit of a hassle, but since the patch, things seem to be working fine right now. The multi-player vs matches have only a few select modes, which is a little disappointing, but it's possible the developers may create new modes later on. For what it is, the dedication the development team has to keep pumping in content after it's release, and the fact that it is a decently solid 1st entry to the world of 2.5D fighters, you can't entirely go wrong with this little gem. Go and be an All-Star. Expand
  23. Jun 4, 2013
    I have no problems with this game i dont know why people are complaining. The arcade mode is actually fun and the online is just great. I have no problem with the game and just give it a chance.
  24. ZxZ
    Jun 5, 2013
    has amazing graphics and good gameplay but it's nothing new when compared to Super Smash Bros even beat the opponents life points is something you can find some time in Smash Bros. at the end it feels like a copy ONLY RECOMMENDED FOR PLAYSTATION LOVERS
  25. Dec 13, 2015
    Before the review, let me say that I love Nintendo and Playstation all the same! This is not smash bros, it's a level all it's own! The 'rip off' aspect is a lie. Is Tekken a rip off of Street Fighter? No! It just plays the same, with new aspects.
    Playstation All-Stars is the number one reason I wanted to buy a ps3! It's fun and on a level on it's own. Instead of knocking the player off a field, you must fill up a meter and execute specialties on the enemies! Each level of specials is more strategically better. The games has a more set of moves than smash bros. Instead of having 2 buttons for attacks, you have 3 buttons for it and the attacks differ in the air.
    The list of 20 playable characters, 24 if you count dlc, play completely different! Even both Cole MacGrath's from the InFamous series, have various moves and specials!
    I rank it 9, cause of online spammers and not the modes besides versus and arcade are awfully lacking.
  26. Nov 20, 2014
    This is my 1st P3 game and all I culd think about was SuperSmash Bros. This game is the same as SSB except with lesser characters and its just an imitation of a GREAT game ....SSB..... Otherwise..... its noting special, just another poor clone.
  27. Nov 20, 2012
    I don't get the extreme polarization between critics and their reviews sometimes. Usually when so many love a franchise and so many despise it, one group is full of it. Whether it's blind nostalgia people are holding onto, or maybe it's a feeling of having to defend their favorite franchise against over saturation or even a legitimate rival of the genre their game falls into, etc....I don't get the extreme polarization between critics and their reviews sometimes. Usually when so many love a franchise and so many despise it, one group is full of it. Whether it's blind nostalgia people are holding onto, or maybe it's a feeling of having to defend their favorite franchise against over saturation or even a legitimate rival of the genre their game falls into, etc.... people for some reason feel the need to take their reviews scores to the extreme ends of the scoring spectrum to make their point. Hating on a game because it borrows another's game's base formula is immature; this has happened and will continue to happen forever with all popular genres. I've seen a few on here commenting on the PASBR's interface, or saying the fun factor just isn't there (which could be a more specific), are legitimate/more appropriate reasons or opinions to review a game badly, but giving it a zero is saying it's complete and utter garbage based off it it not being as good as something else, or call it a budget title just sounds like blind rage to me perpetrated by insecure fans of something else. I have a load of respect for the smash bother's games, as well as for all stars battle royale (after the beta, watching the loads of behind the scenes videos online, and playing this morning) a can say the quality and attention to detail, especially for the fans of either are great. I was very pleased with they've accomplished with these titles on both the Nintendo & PS consoles and hope one day, after xbox decides to jump on this successful band wagon with their awesome entry into this genre, that a cross over between all 3 happens. I haven't played through completely but SO far - (Awesome/Great/Good/OK/Bad) Character art: Awesome, Environment Art: between Great/Good, Gameplay: Great, Sound design/ Music: Good, Animations: Great/good, Packaging (U.I Interface): Good/OK, Fan service: Awesome. Expand
  28. Nov 20, 2012
    After playing this game, it should be in the range of a 8.0 to 9.5 for most people who play it (I put 10 to help counter the rampant Nintendo fanboys that hit hard here). I'd highly suggest giving the game a chance. Most people I know find it incredibly fun, including myself.
  29. Feb 2, 2013
    A very fun game with a great cast of characters and easy to pick up controls mastering the combos is the tricky part). Its a great party game, competitive game, and also great for spectating. Its no a perfect game with a lack-luster story and a pretty bad online feature and not so much cut scenes. Its more of a traditional fighter then most brawlers. But all in all its a must have forA very fun game with a great cast of characters and easy to pick up controls mastering the combos is the tricky part). Its a great party game, competitive game, and also great for spectating. Its no a perfect game with a lack-luster story and a pretty bad online feature and not so much cut scenes. Its more of a traditional fighter then most brawlers. But all in all its a must have for playstaion players. Expand
  30. Nov 20, 2012
    Good:
    +Level design +The final boss

Bad:
    -Only 20 characters? Are you kidding me?
    -No Crash Bandicoot
    -No Spyro
    -Gay Dante? (from DmC)
    -Graphics is just horrible
    -Gameplay system is too complicated
    -Horrifying soundtrack
    -Slow paced
  31. Nov 20, 2012
    its one of the best brawlers of all time. i love the minions charecters the online the characters sly cooper specially he feels great and superbot have relay captured the essence of these charecters
  32. Nov 20, 2012
    This game is fluid, concise and beautiful. It's so memorable and so fun. All of the characters are a blast to use and the music is just goosebump-inducing, it really is. What a great game.
  33. Nov 24, 2012
    I am very surprised on how much I like this game. I thought that it would be a total rip off of SSB but this game can stand on it
  34. Dec 3, 2012
    Arcade=Fun and Funny. Great time playing
    Arcade=Fun and Funny. Great time playing
    Online-If it wasnt for the OverlySpammable nature of players playing online this game would get at least a 9.5. Been playing online with a friend since it came out and all we have seen is spam...spam...spam...spam...spam...spam...kratos....spam....raiden....spam...spam...spam. Thats how it is. its rediculous. And i thought Brawl had alot of spammers NOPE!!!! All Stars promotes spamming. Its not a bad game its just the players that play it have no concept of the game or how to use the characters correctly. You can tell whos played brawl and who hasnt its sad.
    Offline wise-9.5/10
    Online-6.3/10
  35. Nov 21, 2012
    This game is not the smash bros clone everyone claimed it would be (or wanted it to be). It does not have the same unlocking depth as brawl or the fighting mechanic of melee, but the rooster is interesting and the gameplay is simple and fun. Don't play this alone. Go online or grab some friends, because multiplayer is where the game shines.
  36. Nov 20, 2012
    I absolutely loved playing as nathan drake fighting sly cooper. The design is close to supersmash but it is still a great game none the less. You must buy dis game
  37. Nov 20, 2012
    People who haven't played this game brush it off as a Smash clone, which obviously it is influenced a lot by Smash, but in reality is a lot more that merely a clone. Gameplay and overall strategy is very different from Smash, and is possibly even deeper and more competitive. Is it a better game than Smash Brothers Brawl? No. Is it a good game? For sure.
  38. Nov 25, 2012
    There are two major complaints that get made a lot when assessing this game. First is that it is a rip-off of Smash Bros. It is no more a copy of Smash Bros. than Street Fighter is a copy of Soulcalibur or Call of Duty is a copy of Halo. It is a different game in the genre of platform brawler, and as such has some similarity to all the other games in the genre (which is why it's calledThere are two major complaints that get made a lot when assessing this game. First is that it is a rip-off of Smash Bros. It is no more a copy of Smash Bros. than Street Fighter is a copy of Soulcalibur or Call of Duty is a copy of Halo. It is a different game in the genre of platform brawler, and as such has some similarity to all the other games in the genre (which is why it's called a genre). The second is that it doesn't play like Smash Bros (sadly enough, I've seen some reviews where both critiques were made in the same review). Once again, it is a different game in the same genre. Now that we have that cleared up, I would like to say that I love Super Smash Bros. We played it religiously in my dorms, to the point where we sometimes refered to each others by our preferred characters (I think on facebook somewhere there is still an album dedicated to those vicious tournaments...). However, looking objectively, Smash Bros. is not invulnerable, and Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal (referred to from here as PSASBR, even though both are a mouthful) does many things better in my opinion.

Since this genre is all about characters, let's get that out of the way right here, right now. Although I am solidly in the Playstation category of video game players, I have also played a lot of nintendo games. Nintendo has fostered the most iconic characters the gaming industry will ever have, and PSASBR can not match that roster. In fact, I was at first a little put off by the strange mix-and-match of characters. Who can blame me when you can have a psychopathic clown, a cartoon karate cat, a space soldier, and an undead knight killing each other on the same stage? My advice: play through the story mode. It's not that great of a plot, but it helps you get to know the characters a little bit better. This will make the game much more fun since some people may not know much about the roster going into it. Another roster-related complaint is its size: only 20 playable characters. Although we have been spoiled with large fighting games recently, I would like to remind everyone that 20 is within the middle range for fighting games, and more characters are en route via free DLC (yes, you read that right).

The core gameplay mechanic is what sets this game apart, and where it competes with Smash Bros. As you attack your fellow opponents, you gain energy, which you bank for level 1, level 2, or level 3 super-moves. When you release a super and land a successful attack, the character you hit temporarily disappears from the screen, and you score a kill. That's it. No health bars, no percentage meters making you lighter, and no death from falling off the stage. This game is more technique-oriented and it shows it by giving each character three attacks per button (normal, sideways on left stick, up on left stick, and down on left stick) for a total of nine different attacks (the fourth button is for jumping). On top of that, you can tilt the right stick to grapple your opponent, giving you three more options there (side, up, down), and you can block and pick up items to use. Items do a number of things from simply attacking from a distance to stealing meter from other players in the form of blue orbs. The best thing about this setup is that it favors actual fighting. Nobody can win by running away and waiting for the other players to weaken each other. If you don't fight, you don't build meter, and you can't score kills. End of story. And after having that one Smash Bros. player who picks Jigglypuff and floats around the stage until everyone is at 300% damage before joining the fray, it feels pretty damn good.

While this is a promising start to a new PS franchise for us to enjoy, there are a few drawbacks. Some items are overpowered; a skilled player can steal an entire level's worth of meter with certain items. Perhaps the most inexplicable, though, is the existence of stun protection. Certain characters have moves that will temporarily knock a character unconscious, forcing them to crumple to the ground. These characters are made invulnerable until they recover from the stun, breaking up any potential combos or kill shots you may wish to use after. Justifying this in a game with no health bars would take some explaining, especially since Okizeme is a huge part of many fighting games with health bars!

In short, this is a great addition to the platform brawler genre, and any Playstation fan with friends to play against will get many hours of enjoyment from this game. I look forward to a sequel to improve on what looks to be a great formula.
  39. Feb 7, 2013
    Offline Gameplay is fun. I like the variety of characters so far and cannot wait for the dlc. As far as Online its a bit laggy. Somebody can be laying on the ground and magically do their level 1 and your dead. A laggy Kratos is ohh sooooo annoying. People still get kicked out the party so hopefully next patch they can fix that. Monthly DLC is a must for this game to keep it sellingOffline Gameplay is fun. I like the variety of characters so far and cannot wait for the dlc. As far as Online its a bit laggy. Somebody can be laying on the ground and magically do their level 1 and your dead. A laggy Kratos is ohh sooooo annoying. People still get kicked out the party so hopefully next patch they can fix that. Monthly DLC is a must for this game to keep it selling because so far employees are getting the axe and sony just left the premises. Good luck Superbot. Expand
  40. Oct 23, 2013
    Not a bad super smash bros clone. The gameplay is solid and there are a lot of characters to choose from. Very fun with a few friends. My only complaint is the finish system. They should have just taken the percentage system from super smash, but instead they went with finishing moves that have to be built up over the course of the fight. If you catch it at a good price, definitelyNot a bad super smash bros clone. The gameplay is solid and there are a lot of characters to choose from. Very fun with a few friends. My only complaint is the finish system. They should have just taken the percentage system from super smash, but instead they went with finishing moves that have to be built up over the course of the fight. If you catch it at a good price, definitely pick this one up. Expand
  41. Apr 12, 2014
    I hate this game, I really do, I wanted to like it, but its soooooo BORING! the online sucks ass, the combat is EXCRUCIATINGLY BORING, I want to whittle their health down, or watch their percentage go up so I can sweep them off thier feet in one swing, not only be able to kill them with super-moves, which leads me to the supermoves, they are... weak to say the least. and a lot of them areI hate this game, I really do, I wanted to like it, but its soooooo BORING! the online sucks ass, the combat is EXCRUCIATINGLY BORING, I want to whittle their health down, or watch their percentage go up so I can sweep them off thier feet in one swing, not only be able to kill them with super-moves, which leads me to the supermoves, they are... weak to say the least. and a lot of them are so stupid. also, minor complaint, but this game doesn't know anything about being knocked on the back Expand
  42. Apr 14, 2014
    This is definitely one of the best games on the PS3. Before the game's release I heard about the combat system where you do not dish out damage, but instead build up AP (All-Star Power) for what resembles a "final smash" and I was really disappointed. When I actually bought the game I had no problems with the gameplay and combat system. Online matches aren't very fun, everyone wishesThis is definitely one of the best games on the PS3. Before the game's release I heard about the combat system where you do not dish out damage, but instead build up AP (All-Star Power) for what resembles a "final smash" and I was really disappointed. When I actually bought the game I had no problems with the gameplay and combat system. Online matches aren't very fun, everyone wishes characters like Spyro and Crash could appear in the game, and there should be the option to play Smash style for the people who wanted just that. Still, this is easily one of my most-played games and totally worth the money. Expand
  43. Sep 11, 2014
    This is by far my favorite PS3 game of all time.
    One of the few DECENT PS3 games with 4 players in local, the fun is infinite and the competitive part of the game is seriously the best I've ever seen, the combo system is PERFECT and the roster, even if one or two characters aren't great choice, is very good.
    This is by far my favorite PS3 game of all time.
    Stop comparing this game to Super Smash Bros, the only thing it has in common is the main concept, but it plays in a completely (and way more competitive) way, they're just two different games of the same genre, like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.
  44. Nov 17, 2014
    The game is alright, it's just that they need more characters but it's stupid how the new ones are paid DLCs. The game is so freaking easy that I got all trophies and Platinum trophy. This is just like Smash Bros. but to kill an enemy you have to collect some random orbs or do combo attacks to increase your blue bar and you could do a Level 1,2,3 special attack to kill the enemy but inThe game is alright, it's just that they need more characters but it's stupid how the new ones are paid DLCs. The game is so freaking easy that I got all trophies and Platinum trophy. This is just like Smash Bros. but to kill an enemy you have to collect some random orbs or do combo attacks to increase your blue bar and you could do a Level 1,2,3 special attack to kill the enemy but in Smash Bros. you get the enemy out of the arena . I find it funny that Snake from Metal Gear Solid is in Smash Bros. Brawl and Raiden from Metal Gear Rising is in this one. Still a good game, it's that it needs updates and add new characters. A sequel would be fine for me. Expand
  45. Mar 18, 2013
    I'm going to try and make history as I evaluate this game without mentioning "That game". Y'know, Su- whoops nearly! Anyways.

Playstation All Stars should really be called "Sony presents Game Marketing for other titles coming out soon", due to the inclusion of characters and locations from games that were not even released when this came out, not to mention a distinct lack of some other Playstation legends *coughlaracroftcough*. Anyways, I don't really mind that. But what I do mind is a game that has flaws. BIG flaws. Two in fact.

The first flaw is the distinct lack of polish the game has. It all feels tacky. The menus, the loading screens, the character models, the almost forgettable story slideshow picture thingies (I swear that they just ripped some concept art off DmC and slapped the awful in game Dante character model over it). Even the "original" music is completely unforgettable and bland. Other games similar to this, where characters from various developers and publishers are included, are almost always presented in the best light possible, which includes top quality User interfaces and music (like Marvel vs Capcom). Why 3rd party devs would give this game rights to use their characters i'll never know. Wait, I do know, I've said it earlier already; Marketing.

That's my first flaw, and, compared to the other one, poor quality is only a mild issue. Yes, the second flaw was the decider for me between a game that's brilliant and addictive, and a game that's quick to lose its charm. Its the gameplay; more specifically it's the games scoring concept. Originally, the games concept seems quite interesting; beat the other people to get special gauges and use the specials to eliminate the opposition to score points and win. It only takes your third game however to notice how much of a misfire the concept is. As combat is all about building special gauges, you will always spam the same combo; the one that gives you more AP. You can imagine how tedious that gets. I was talking about this to a mate, and he said "Well vary the combos up then!". Why? The combo I use builds the best AP, and there is absolutely no incentive to vary my combos up at all. If the AP built up in a combo would diminish after using too much repetition then yes it would give us a great reason to be creative and different! But no. This includes items, which, because they cant kill anyone, or build AP up as much as a normal combo are completely pointless to use! It gets worse. As it is all about getting AP as quickly as possible, it creates huge differences in character usefulness, ergo, ridiculously overpowered characters, like Kratos. He can gain AP so quickly and efficiently, you can even spam lvl 3 specials with ease (which too is so much more effective than many other lvl 3s). Sooo other than that its fine...

In all its fine to pick up and play for around 20 mins before you get bored, until you get a little urge to try it again, and realise after 20 mins why you stopped playing before. In business, a company will always try and beat its competitors by doing what they do, but better. Rarely will a business look at its successful competitor and try and do everything different. I guess this applies to Playstation All Stars doesn't it?

Super Smash Bros (dammit!)
  46. Nov 27, 2012
    I've only played the Smash games a few times, so I came into this game without any preconceptions. It is a BLAST to play. I love the AP mechanic and the super-move-kill gameplay. I have logged dozens of hours on this game since I bought it over the weekend. The only minor gripe I have is that the final boss seems a little underwhelming, but that really is only a very minor gripe.
    I
    I like the roster, and hope they add some more Playstation favorites someday (Jumping Flash, or maybe Crash Bandicoot?)

I highly recommend giving this game a try. It's also nice that you get the Vita version for free when you buy the PS3 version.
  47. Nov 20, 2012
    I've been playing the beta for hours, and this game for 2 days now : no need to hide the truth (and no need to create accounts just to give bad reviews, Nintendo fans) > this game is truly GREAT.
    Just like you can read it on Destructoid, it's far from a "clone" of SSB, it's a new beast ! I've been playing this not stop with friends since I bought it, we all are having a lot of fun, and the game is a lot more technical than Smash : 3 attack buttons, air evade, different supers, a lot of variety among the character movelists, etc.
    Sony bumped the overall genre into a new level ! THE game to purchase this month if you have a few friends to play with, offline OR online (yeah it's not ZombiU all over again with its offline mode lol)
  48. Nov 20, 2012
    Amazing game, if you read the negative reviews you'll see how ridiculous they are. I wasn't expecting much of this game but believe me, it surprises you, by the way it has a story mode and lots of unlockables. Don't let trolls fool you.
  49. Nov 20, 2012
    I'm the biggest Smash brother fan, and I gotta say this game is 10000000000% better than Smash Brother. Nothing in that game can beat this one. It's just so amazing! Supers check, amazing characters check, awesome stages check. It's the whole package.
  50. Nov 20, 2012
    This game is far from perfection but I´m optimist with this. We already have 2 new characters FREE next year, if the Dev company continue the support this game will be HUGE. With a LOT of new characters, stages and new features. If you buy this game please continue the support buying the DLCs.
  51. Nov 21, 2012
    Seriously dont read the negative reviews, I honestly believe they were playing a different game because this game is amazing. Me and my girlfriend love it and we are both SSB fans, ive bought and played all of them. It's different yes. But it is also unique in how it does things, just give it a try and i can guarantee you will love it, its got alot of replayability and great for playinSeriously dont read the negative reviews, I honestly believe they were playing a different game because this game is amazing. Me and my girlfriend love it and we are both SSB fans, ive bought and played all of them. It's different yes. But it is also unique in how it does things, just give it a try and i can guarantee you will love it, its got alot of replayability and great for playin with friends. Oh and their is so much to unlock its crazy Expand
  52. Nov 22, 2012
    First of all, I NEVER played smash bros,so there is no fanboy bias here

1.Game looks beautiful,fighting mechanic is complex which I love it,too bad the roster is not that impressive though,online is freakin smooth,this coming from a gamer that live in a developing country,online has some bugs,but not game breaking and can easily be fixed by patches anyway,game has quite an amount of unlocks too
  53. Nov 23, 2012
    I am very surprise with this game , Ps All Star is a master piece and a must buy game and a collectors item to the playstation fans.
    Great game with a excellent combat system.
    Good graphics with brillant colors and sound. The voice chat runs perfect. The online is working good so far in both version ps3 and ps vita. All the characters are well done and mantaing his own personality. I
    Great game with a excellent combat system.
    Good graphics with brillant colors and sound.
    The voice chat runs perfect.
    The online is working good so far in both version ps3 and ps vita.
    All the characters are well done and mantaing his own personality.
    I would like to see more more game modes but is cool.
    The interface can be improve to make a futurystic or modern view.
    Definitely is the Smashbrother killer.
    I would like to see. A lots of dlc about avatars, dynamic themes , characters like Crash , Journey character ,Batman, Etzio, Ryu,Scorpion,Cloud and Zephirot and all of them with his own maps Sony can sell separate for all of that that are looking for specific map or character also they can do bundles
    I would like to see a dlc of a story mode itsn have to be too long .
    Superbot and Sony also can add funny characters like kaz hiray and jack tretton with funny skills and specials moves
    Definitely this game needs a sequel with a few improvements like story mode a little bit customization . Sony can sold items like hats, t shirts, shoes , weapons ,sounds ,intro ,specials moves The bad:
    The final boss sucks looks cheap and did not match with the game.
  54. Nov 25, 2012
    This game is AMAZING!!!! At first, I didn't fully appreciate the game for it's depth; as will most people, but I promise that the more you play, the more you will enjoy it. The game plays nothing like smash (sorry, had to mention it). Besides for the similar button lay-out and 2-D gameplay. Besides that, they are completely different games. The story isn't too strong, but the multiplayerThis game is AMAZING!!!! At first, I didn't fully appreciate the game for it's depth; as will most people, but I promise that the more you play, the more you will enjoy it. The game plays nothing like smash (sorry, had to mention it). Besides for the similar button lay-out and 2-D gameplay. Besides that, they are completely different games. The story isn't too strong, but the multiplayer is where it shines. The game plays on a "super" system which is a blast to play around with and has deep combo systems. The characters are really balanced and each feel wholly unique (even with cole and evil cole). Don't judge a book by it's cover and overlook it as just another smash rip-off. This game is fun and the more you play it, THE MORE FUN IT GETS. Expand
  55. Nov 26, 2012
    Fantastic game. Music and menu makes it look like I just grabbed it out of the 5$ bargain bin, but it plays like a fresh, polished, party fighting game. Some of the supers are better than others, but keep playing, you'll find a good balance.
  56. Nov 26, 2012
    Ob man wohl als fette kleine Prinzessin eine Chance gegen den Gott des Krieges Kratos hat? Diese und viele weitere Fragen haben uns schon Jahre lang gequält. Jetzt können wir endlich selber herausfinden wer in einem solch ungleichen Kampf die Oberhand haben würde.
    Ich denke inzwischen dürften alle gemerkt haben von welchem Titel wir gerade reden. Natürlich ist es Playstation All-Stars : Battle Royale. Bevor wir aber nun zum Test kommen möchten wir ein Vorurteil schon mal aus dem Weg räumen. Playstation All Stars ist kein Super Smash Bros Klon. Es ist zwar nicht zu bestreiten das
  57. Jan 24, 2013
    weel there isn't enuf guns and bulletz and the little purlbpe girl gived me a boner so i caunlt play in frant of mom so i plaid cratos and noothin drak because sony has deep charactrs like "Kill all blood gore!" and "Explore kill all!"
  58. Mar 3, 2013
    Despite having a smaller than expected character roster-seeing how Playstation had decades of icons- this game never fails to please. The characters all feel diverse, and not just copy-and-pastes of each other. The maps are beautifully designed, featuring a mix of different Sony IPs, balanced mapping, and interesting interactions and events in the background. The AP meter approach helpsDespite having a smaller than expected character roster-seeing how Playstation had decades of icons- this game never fails to please. The characters all feel diverse, and not just copy-and-pastes of each other. The maps are beautifully designed, featuring a mix of different Sony IPs, balanced mapping, and interesting interactions and events in the background. The AP meter approach helps keep this game feel different from SSMB, as it adds a creative way to score. My only complaint is the lack of decent servers, as the entire match will crash or start to get buggy if even a single persons connection is bad. So, for a low budget game, designed by a small developer, near the end of the PS3's life, this game shows promise, and hopefully will gain support for a larger budget sequel. Expand
  59. Apr 6, 2013
    I have owned the game for about a month now and can safely say it is a completly individual game compared to smash bros. you can level up and customise your character but the roster might be a little bland if you dont get the DLC, but when you have them then there is not much this game is missing, the stages each have their own little twists and vary greatly in size just like theI have owned the game for about a month now and can safely say it is a completly individual game compared to smash bros. you can level up and customise your character but the roster might be a little bland if you dont get the DLC, but when you have them then there is not much this game is missing, the stages each have their own little twists and vary greatly in size just like the characters. If you sre this game and either want a little challenge with other people inline or with friends in the room it is a great buy and well worth it Expand
  60. Aug 9, 2013
    I enjoyed this game. The gameplay isn't as "crazy" as Super Smash Bros which is for the better or the worst depending on what you're looking for. This game is more tactical. The music is great, especially the final boss'.

But it's far from perfect. There's only 20 characters so alot of PS gamers will be disappointed with the selection. Lack of maps though they are creative (each map puts two games into one). Lack of modes. Lack of an actual final boss. Lack of unlockables. And unbalanced characters.

Overall this game lacks alot, but it's still really fun. It's more fitted for the Vita. Don't pay for an expensive price.
  61. Nov 25, 2013
    Along with the roster that most fans didn't request for, they managed to succeed a spectacular gameplay with each character's different fighting styles. They could've put a bit more effort on stages, but overall the animations around them were pretty enjoyable. The game is not as good as Smash Bros. but I think it's a good enough crossover for Sony.
  62. Nov 20, 2012
    Just by playing the beta theirs no way this game is a 1 let alone a 0. Tired of fanboys dragging score down cuz their mad siny hit this one outta the park! looks grt plays grt tons of fun. Just seeing a rating of a 0 tells people with any common sense their trolling no game is wirth a 0.
  63. Nov 20, 2012
    This game is great, great combat, great characters, great ko system. It lacks presentation tho, which im fine with tbh. I think that this games downfall will be nintendo fans tearing the game apart. It's sad to see a great game being dismissed because nintendo fans cant handle competition in the genre. I say good luck and thank you Superbot Entertainment. Hopefully we'll see a sequel someday
  64. Nov 20, 2012
    This game plays real slick. It fits somewhere between the house that Super Smash built and the more traditional fighting games. This doesn't mean hooey if you are playing this as it was meant to be played: as a party game. The game is easy to learn with a few matches and the depth is really there for someone who want to become the resident expert. It is chock full of content, has greatThis game plays real slick. It fits somewhere between the house that Super Smash built and the more traditional fighting games. This doesn't mean hooey if you are playing this as it was meant to be played: as a party game. The game is easy to learn with a few matches and the depth is really there for someone who want to become the resident expert. It is chock full of content, has great gameplay variety and has the potential to spice up Thanksgiving post-dinner for those of you in the United States. Pros:
    Pick up and play
    A lot of modes
    4 player with quick matches
    Interesting characters and stages
    20 Characters
    Good character customization
    Working online play
    Great visuals and audio is top notch

Cons:
    A few big Sony mascots are missing due to copyright issues
    20 Characters
    Can take a little longer to learn than other Brawlers on the market
  65. Nov 22, 2012
    Don't judge a book by it's cover. That's the mindset that anyone should have when playing PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale. The comparisons to Super Smash Bros are obvious but All-Stars is a completely different game. A great selection of characters, deep combat system, awesome stages and great graphics on top. Sup-Par presentation and somewhat a lack of game modes aren't enough toDon't judge a book by it's cover. That's the mindset that anyone should have when playing PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale. The comparisons to Super Smash Bros are obvious but All-Stars is a completely different game. A great selection of characters, deep combat system, awesome stages and great graphics on top. Sup-Par presentation and somewhat a lack of game modes aren't enough to bring down an otherwise fantastic game. Definitely a must have game for any PlayStation or fighting game fan. Expand
  66. Nov 20, 2012
    Man you can't help but feel sorry for these losers that try to make people believe that this game is a 0/10 lol they must think we're just dumb as them. Wait for the critics don't listen to the trolls just look at there other reviews 80% of them this is there first review so they're trolls other 20% are nintendo fanboys just look at how they rate nintendo games 10/10 and ps games 0/10 lolMan you can't help but feel sorry for these losers that try to make people believe that this game is a 0/10 lol they must think we're just dumb as them. Wait for the critics don't listen to the trolls just look at there other reviews 80% of them this is there first review so they're trolls other 20% are nintendo fanboys just look at how they rate nintendo games 10/10 and ps games 0/10 lol pathetic. Expand
  67. Nov 20, 2012
    SO let me get this straight, will be fast: Smash Bros on Wii DVD = 40 characters, long story mode, no DLC crap. All Stars on Bluray Disc = only 20 characters, will sell the missing ones via DLC. $ONY just doesn't give a sh*t anymore...PLEASE don't support this rip-off. If CAPCOM did this Smash Bros clone, and made a small roster to sell DLC, you would have killed them. So WHY THE HELLSO let me get this straight, will be fast: Smash Bros on Wii DVD = 40 characters, long story mode, no DLC crap. All Stars on Bluray Disc = only 20 characters, will sell the missing ones via DLC. $ONY just doesn't give a sh*t anymore...PLEASE don't support this rip-off. If CAPCOM did this Smash Bros clone, and made a small roster to sell DLC, you would have killed them. So WHY THE HELL would you support such a rip-off and distribute perfect 10's??? The '1' is for Nariko. Expand
  68. Nov 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have been a fan of all three franchises since 2002 so when I first saw this I was really excited then I saw footage and played it, I know no one asked for my review but as video game developers I thought that you would like to know a life long fan of these great video game characters thoughts on this game. GAME PLAY: what I was hopping for was game play like from the originals (for the dual shock 3 as well as PS move) if you remember all three franchises are under the category of "platform game" while you cant even jump in this game. a few weapons are fun to use like some of the guns and the melee weapons, while there other weapons work okay sometime but there not really as fun as the others, yeah its fun at first but then it gets boring and repetitive. in short its a "sports champions", but less accurate. *little spoiler* STORY:it starts out okay.....then it just does not make sense. How did gleeber and lunk control all those villians? with the crystals? why did gleeber and lunk want to go to sly,ratchet and jak's home worlds? What would they do there, takeover their worlds, the only reason they were able to takeover "gleepbertopia" is that the aliens that lived there were weaker and smaller then they were, and if not, but instead to be the heroes of there worlds, why? In short the story isn't even half as good as the story line's from the original games. I really want to like it but I cant and yes, I know it was probably made to just make money and show what the move can do but they should have also thought of the life long fans. in short Jak, Ratchet and Sly deserve better. Expand
  69. Nov 20, 2012
    Well, this game is complete garbage. Wish I didn't preorder... This is a disgrace to fighting games. If you played one, you've played them all. Same thing. I had high expectations and was completely disappointed
  70. Nov 20, 2012
    Just another rehash of a tired old franchise to cash in while they wait for the next cash-in this time next year. The fact that they can release the same game every year for the past 4 years and still get money is a slap in the face to any real developer that takes time to craft a good game. The campaign is dull and overscripted, the online is cheesy and full of 12 year olds screaming inJust another rehash of a tired old franchise to cash in while they wait for the next cash-in this time next year. The fact that they can release the same game every year for the past 4 years and still get money is a slap in the face to any real developer that takes time to craft a good game. The campaign is dull and overscripted, the online is cheesy and full of 12 year olds screaming in the mic, and the game is still full of cheaters. Expand
  71. Nov 20, 2012
    Why do people feel the need to sabotage the user review system? Just because you do not like certain aspects of the game, it does not mean the game deserves a 0. Similarly, I'm sure you may think the game is good, but that does not automatically make it worthy of a 10. You're all taking away from the credibility of the score.
    Anyway, I've been enjoying the game thoroughly so far. While at
    Anyway, I've been enjoying the game thoroughly so far. While at first I assumed you could just button mash your way to victory, I couldn't have been more wrong. The more you experiment with the game, the more you discover of the gameplay mechanics. There really is a hidden depth to it all.
    I do agree that the menus are a little bland, but I don't plan on spending a huge amount of time here, and they are very easy to navigate so I can't complain too much here. It is also a shame that there aren't all that many game modes, but I would likely be focusing most of my time on the multiplayer free for all and team deathmatch anyway, and I'm glad to say these are an absolute blast! Great game, and I expect I'll be spending countless hours with it to come, so well worth the investment in my personal opinion.
  72. Nov 20, 2012
    Cons:Story mode is awful Roster is pretty bad Not many game modes A lot of really cheap characters
    Plus:Multiplayer is just fun really its mindless fun Online plays well not much lag Lots of achieveables Free DLC Vita version included with the ps3 version
  73. Nov 20, 2012
    Pues a mi me parece un gran juego, estaba claro que se iba a llevar miles de 0 por culpa de los fanboys de Nintendo.
    A parte los jugadores de consolas Sony, estábamos esperando un juego de este tipo durante mucho tiempo, y por fin se ha hecho realidad.
  74. Nov 20, 2012
    Its hard to give score for fun game, which could be so much better.

+ Fighting system is fun and unique

- Poorly done story mode
    - Poorly done customisation
    - Lack of some most iconic characters
    - Missing online modes.
    - Need more stages
  75. Nov 20, 2012
    I do not deal for that so many 0, it is a great game that I inspire of a great game. For nothing it is a copy, is more ... it seems more to street fighter that to smash bross... But clear, there can not do to him a game similar to other one, and that could enjoy it in other consoles, for which they are exclusive in others ... bad people ¬¬.
  76. Nov 20, 2012
    great game, the gampelay is solid, the modes and story are time consuming and overall great game. The neg user reviews are no less then idiotic and biased
  77. Nov 20, 2012
    It is a great game, new paragraph is very enterteining. It is impossible not to compare it with smash bross ... but clear, if we compare all the shooters that exist, they would be quite copies. What it has obtained superbot, is to inspire of a game, without being really a copy ... he enjoys own style.
  78. Nov 20, 2012
    This game, while certainly inspired by Smash bros. the game is it's own entity. The game plays highly differently to Nintendo's franchise and after picking up the game, it's easy to tell the difference. A setback is that the story mode/single player modes get highly repetitive. That being said, the game is extremely fun and definitely a game any playstation fan should pick up. there isThis game, while certainly inspired by Smash bros. the game is it's own entity. The game plays highly differently to Nintendo's franchise and after picking up the game, it's easy to tell the difference. A setback is that the story mode/single player modes get highly repetitive. That being said, the game is extremely fun and definitely a game any playstation fan should pick up. there is something for everyone in there. Characters span all 3 eras of playstation and stages provide representation of even more franchises. Plus the developers are giving DLC support as well as continual patching for balancing issues. The game has some minor flaws, but the overall experience and enjoyability of the game is what shines. 9/10 Expand
  79. Nov 20, 2012
    Easy to pick up and play with tons of fun characters. Tons of unlocks and online mode is smooth. If your not a fan of party games this may not be the game for you.
  80. Nov 20, 2012
    Although I'm a PlayStation fan, this game didn't get me so thrilled. It suffers a clear lack of content, and how could Smash Bros Brawl look better while it's on the Wii ?! Also, DLC characters are nice, but not when you got so little characters from basis.
    However, from what I've seen so far, the online is quite good, you quickly get used to the controls and it's actually just as fun as Smash Bros Brawl on multiplayer. A nice alternative for those who don't own the Wii. But if you do own one, please feel free to ignore this game and play Super Smash Bros Brawl.
  81. Nov 20, 2012
    Perfect 10 where it matters most, the online vs other players. The presentation is excellent, the graphics are beautiful, all the characters are vastly different, online is lag free. It is so different from smash its ridiculous for anybody to even say that. There are free DLC characters coming to. Free. Buy this game, you will not regret it.
  82. Nov 21, 2012
    Nothing short of fun and enjoyment exceeding that of the demo. The exclusion of characters is understandable given the negotiations between activision ( for spyro and crash) and Square Enix ( for sora and cloud) I'd probably a **** process. Given that superbot is already at work at future DLC is more than enough reason to pick this up. A great game!
  83. Nov 21, 2012
    This is a great game overal, the multiplayer is great! Youll get hooked in no time. There are a lot of unlockables and stuff. The roster is great! And the stages and their music is awesome.the ps3-Vita compatibility works great The only thing that isnt great, but not bad either, is the story mode, it is short but you have 20 different stories. If you own a ps3 or Vita this is a must buy!
  84. Nov 22, 2012
    This game is deep, I'd say the strategy depth is no less than MvC but with all 4 character on the screen at all time.

Let's start with apparent "everyone can mash" simple move sets, how hard would it be to do up/side/down + square/triangle/circle with air variation? Plus 3 throws and block/avoid, I guess this is the most easiest to pick up fighting game like ever, no QCF, no directional charge(but have charge type attack), even a 3 year old can pick it up. Couldn't found a better excuse to introduce this to a friend.

But if you head into online match and get "smashed" by a level 100+ don't be surprised, you haven't learn your and his character yet. The single player mode has vast amount of I'd say carefully designed per character trial( which I don't think all the reviewer thus far get through even one of them in all star level). After go through the "General" ones, you can already get a picture that the developer wants to tell you how this game works, both by character of choice and the 3 difficulty setting. The All-Star is not hard at all in "fighting AI" sense, but when the condition is set it becomes tricky that for some trail I literally struggle for a while to get past(ie. Taunt All-Star is nightmare hard if you don't know Radec's move/super.)

And after that there is a per character one that designed specifically to your character. You say someone's super 1 suck? There is a trial that you can only count kills when the super 1 hits multiple targets, someone's super 1/2 is op? There is a trial that design to make you either counter or survive through that exact super. No need to record and set condition in practice mode to test it out, the AI does it pretty well while chasing me with giant chicken(And I learn that how fast Fat Princess could move at the same time).

And from the trial, it is possible that if by enough demand, there could be a crazy amount of rule tweaking can provide to both party and tournament. ie, always on super 1, or get thrown wipe your AP, or only combos can accumulate AP, or only hit multple enemy at same time can accumulate AP. Just by setting conditions of how you gain/lose AP and super, the strategy would change accordingly. I can't even imagine how madly fun this would be in party and tournament.

Any one say this is a SSBB clone probably get it totally wrong, yeah the bubble shield and ledge recover trick is nice at first but gets old really quick if all people are doing are those. PSASBR from design force you to engage, you won't see people try to play catch and hide after they nail that kill lead right away, you will see more aggressive combat, and deeper super landing/avoid strategy.(Sorry, you suck if you got one sided, better learn that character and know what it can and can't do.) This is a major difference by design, it won't be hard if the team want to put in a mode with health bar and addtional ultra bar to mimic SF, or put in a few more level with pit and change the AP meter into the damage meter as in SSBB, but would it be much fun to do so? Are people really only stuck in one mind set and think this is different than X so it must suck? My only complaint is the cast seems to be there to for 3rd party to sell their new character. But for a new team with fighting game veteran involved in design, I'd say if it gets long term support by fan that support it, you will get more character you like to be in the game.(How long does SSB go to gets Snake?) In conclusion, or TL;DR, this game is great fun and deep, go buy it if you enjoy fighting game.
  85. Nov 22, 2012
    Easily one of the best games this year. Sure it has its flaws(like no 1V1 and a bit unbalanced) but it has proven itself not to be the Smash Brothers clone people assumed it was.

The game has a learning curve so if you don't like learning curves the game is not right for you. You can play as some of your favorite characters like Kratos, Ratchet, Dante(albeit in his reboot form), Cole, Raiden and Sir Daniel Fortesque.

Every new copy of the game also comes with a free Vita version so if you own a Playstation Vita you have another game added to your collection.

There is already DLC announced for the game. Kat from Gravity Rush and Emmett Graves from Starhawk are due to be Downloadable Content sometime in Early 2013 which shows that the game will have tons of support for a while now.

Pro:

+ Fast paced.
    + A good roster for the first game.
    + Fun gameplay.
    + Good online.
    + Each character is varied and there are no clones(Yes even the two Coles play differently)
    + Hours upon hours of unlockables.
    + DLC already announced(may or may not be a good thing but to me it is.)
    +Awesome Soundtrack
    + Great graphics

Cons: -Unbalanced most of the time.
    - Story mode is lacking.
    - Some questionable missing characters.

Questionable: ?- Learning Curve(May or may not be your cup of tea)
    ?- Certain characters in the roster( I like everyone but I know some people who are pissed about Big Daddy and Raiden in the game.)

Rent or Buy? I would say Rent it first and if you have fun with it then buy it. You won't regret it.
  86. Nov 22, 2012
    Take your time. I'm serious; just take a few hours to get use to the system. I know it is similar to a classic game like Smash (which I loved) but it is also different in exciting ways if you gave it a chance. The combo system is great, the characters play enjoyably unique, and it's just another reason to beat up 3 of your friends on a couch! Yes.. the only super killing seems weird atTake your time. I'm serious; just take a few hours to get use to the system. I know it is similar to a classic game like Smash (which I loved) but it is also different in exciting ways if you gave it a chance. The combo system is great, the characters play enjoyably unique, and it's just another reason to beat up 3 of your friends on a couch! Yes.. the only super killing seems weird at first but it gave my little sister a fighting chance as long as she had one meter, which made it equally exciting for her! Instead of percentages like the great game Smash, it's all about meter. And when they have meter for a SUPER.. YOUR HEART WILL BE PUMPING!! Especially if you play with lives instead of timer; which i prefer. Oh yeah, it's true... the single-player isn't so great , but that shouldn't stop you from playing this balanced 4 player fighter! (Kratos is cheap.. but you can be cheap with all characters!) Expand
  87. Nov 24, 2012
    Yes it plays like Smash Brothers, but does it make it a clone? No. Medal of Honor plays like COD, but no one calls that a clone. It's called a 'genre', perhaps people should look up the definition before slating a game. Of course every game is inspired by the best of that particular genre because they want the game to be good, and for people to like it. If the game didn't add anythingYes it plays like Smash Brothers, but does it make it a clone? No. Medal of Honor plays like COD, but no one calls that a clone. It's called a 'genre', perhaps people should look up the definition before slating a game. Of course every game is inspired by the best of that particular genre because they want the game to be good, and for people to like it. If the game didn't add anything different then I could understand people's anger, but All-Stars has a game changer which adds a tactical element to the game - Supers.

To score a kill you must build up your AP meter by beating up your opponents. Once you are able to use a super, you must time it carefully to maximize the number of opponents you can hit, and to avoid wasting it. There are three levels of super, so you also have to choose between waiting and using a more powerful one, or using weaker ones more frequently. Although the game can easily be picked up and played by anyone, the best players will always be planning their supers, and will be one step ahead of their opponents. Everything which is in this package is of great quality. The graphics are crisp, and the sound is great (the game has an awesome opening tune). The variety of characters is good, but could do with more classics like Crash & Spyro who Activision probably didn't allow permission to include. Maps are inventive, but could do with a few more. The story is a bit of a let down, but for a brand new IP which is focused on multiplayer, it's not too much of an issue. There are plenty of unlockables, and multiplayer modes (again more would be good). The cross-play with Vita is by far one of the best things I've seen in gaming. It is identical to the PS3 version and plays flawlessly. The save file transfers automatically, so there is no hassle in continuing where you left off. All in all this is a must have for any PlayStation and Smash Bros fan. Though it is slightly light on the content, for a first game in what I hope turns into a series it's still pretty damn good. They have clearly focused on quality over quantity, and with the promise of DLC there is still plenty to keep you busy over the holidays. I gave this a 10 because the overall score deserves a boost. With a slight lack of content I would give it a 9/10.
  88. Nov 24, 2012
    Please don't listen to the b.s. that the negative reviewers are trying to feed you and let me put it to you straight. This game is really amazing. Playing stock mode with my friends, I haven't this much fun in multiplayer since Halo 1 came out. Don't compare it to SSBB. Don't play it like SSBB. If you do you will definitely lose. Battle Royale is far more combo based than Brawl and it isPlease don't listen to the b.s. that the negative reviewers are trying to feed you and let me put it to you straight. This game is really amazing. Playing stock mode with my friends, I haven't this much fun in multiplayer since Halo 1 came out. Don't compare it to SSBB. Don't play it like SSBB. If you do you will definitely lose. Battle Royale is far more combo based than Brawl and it is harder for new players to win. Only being able to kill players with certain attacks may sound like a really stupid idea, but it actually plays out to be an incredibly strategic experience, especially when playing 1 on 1. The game also feels better put together than Brawl, although this is expected with the time gap between the games. Yes, only 20 characters, but more are on the way via dlc (which has been announced for early next year and will be free for two weeks, so keep an eye out. Hopefully, they will do all dlc like this.) Superbot has already stated that they know how important characters like Crash are and they are doing what they can to get them, but people forget about how many legal problems there are in making a game like this. Unlike Brawl, none of the characters are clones of each other. Even good Cole and evil Cole have 90% different move sets. Superbot did a great job pulling moves from the characters games and mapped them to the same button whenever possible. Stage design is also amazing, mixing two games for crazy and hilarious results.

Now for the reason why I did not give the game a ten. The story mode is bad. Very bad. There is actually little story at all. Every character has a static, comic book like intro, a rival cut scene, and a static, comic-book like ending. I expected a lot more in a cross over like this. The potential was so high. Also, the final boss was a bit of a letdown. He is just cheesy (although the battle is kind of fun).

I can't really comment on the online as I haven't played it yet but I played the beta and saw pretty much no lag at all.

Even with a bad story, the game is still a blast to play, particularly with friends. A definite buy for anyone that wants to see their favorite characters again.
  89. Nov 24, 2012
    So people are complaining about All-Stars, *sigh*. Lets look at the first super smash bro's it has a maximum of 12 characters much less the 20 offered in all stars, Melee has 25 characters only, which all- stars will pass with the future DLC. Brawl is the THIRD games in the series, All stars is the first. Nintendo has had since 1999 to get all the aspects right, and don't get me wrongSo people are complaining about All-Stars, *sigh*. Lets look at the first super smash bro's it has a maximum of 12 characters much less the 20 offered in all stars, Melee has 25 characters only, which all- stars will pass with the future DLC. Brawl is the THIRD games in the series, All stars is the first. Nintendo has had since 1999 to get all the aspects right, and don't get me wrong Brawl is an amazing brawler but its had a lot of history to get where it is. I go agree the story mode is a little short but who plays fighters for their AMAZING stories ? . The gameplay is fluid and addictive, and to people that are saying it takes no skill, you clearly haven't spent an extended time with all stars, as all of the level 1 powers can be dodges as well as the majority of the level 2. Agreed some of the characters are over powered (cough *kratos* cough) but a patch will easily fix that problem, the majority of games released need patching so stop complaining . All stars isn't perfect by far but its a great game an is worth your time an money Expand
  90. Nov 25, 2012
    I was pleasantly surprised by this game. I will admit, I was a little bit skeptical at first as I was worried that the combat would be broken or very unbalanced and that it would be just a lazy knockoff of super smash bros brawl. I was wrong. The graphics are great, combat is quite technical and more varied than super smash bros as you have light, medium and heavy attacks and you can alsoI was pleasantly surprised by this game. I will admit, I was a little bit skeptical at first as I was worried that the combat would be broken or very unbalanced and that it would be just a lazy knockoff of super smash bros brawl. I was wrong. The graphics are great, combat is quite technical and more varied than super smash bros as you have light, medium and heavy attacks and you can also perform various combos with each character, meaning it's not all button mashing. After you've finished each character's story, you'll spend most of your time online, which is quite fun and it is easy to find a match. However, I'm just slightly disappointed with the roster. There's just about 20 characters and while that's not too bad, I was expecting a lot more recognisable favorites such as Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Sora and maybe even Solid Snake. I don't see the point in adding characters like Toro the cat. All in all, I really enjoyed this game. Well worth the money, every playstation owner should pick this up. Also, the PS3 version comes with a download for the PS Vita version of the game, which is fantastic. Expand
  91. Nov 26, 2012
    Lots of fun to play with friends and plenty to do when playing alone. It's really good! The vita version is exactly the same as well. Just hope crash is added as dlc :)
  92. Nov 26, 2012
    This game has fully lived up to my expectations (AND MORE!) I found the story mode (while not ABSOLUTELY PERFECT) pretty cool since each characters cutscenes felt like that is how it would be like in each of their respective games. With tons of modes for you to get into and really learn the ins and outs of this game as well as be able to practice with your favourite characters (That areThis game has fully lived up to my expectations (AND MORE!) I found the story mode (while not ABSOLUTELY PERFECT) pretty cool since each characters cutscenes felt like that is how it would be like in each of their respective games. With tons of modes for you to get into and really learn the ins and outs of this game as well as be able to practice with your favourite characters (That are all very unique and balanced, those who say otherwise just need to practice more and develop strategies in order to combat a character dubbed "OP") and truly be able to use them effectively. But the real fun is in the multiplayer! both online AND offline, it is super fun, deep and addictive and the more I play, the more I enjoy this game! There are MANY MANY moments within this game that get so intense and I'm like "DAMN, you got me there, but I'm gonna get you next time!". The multiplayer is really amazing with each character having their own distinct playstyles to them which is truly spectacular (ESP in 2v2 where you can combine 2 characters playstyles and use it to your advantage to take out the competition). But that's not all boys and girls (I'm REALLY loving Sweet Tooth in this game), as this game has ALOT of unlockables that will keep you busy for months and months to come! and this games customization features are really good as well! being able to customize my profile so that people recognize who they are dealing with online every time they see my profile card is just great! I absolutely love this game and can't wait to get the DLC that they will release for it! there is literally nothing that I DON'T like about this game! (sure it has its bugs here and there, but I know Superbot will fix them, plus they don't really bother me that much, so it doesn't hinder my experience at all)...YOU HAVE GOT TO GET THIS GAME! Expand
  93. Nov 26, 2012
    This game is really fun to play. I've thus far spent more than 20 hours with the game's story and trial mode and I'm still coming back for more whenever I have time. My friends and I really had a blast playing it together. Once they got used to the whole "only-deaths-with-supers" concept, everyone loved it. I must admit that I never played smash-brothers so I can't really compare to thatThis game is really fun to play. I've thus far spent more than 20 hours with the game's story and trial mode and I'm still coming back for more whenever I have time. My friends and I really had a blast playing it together. Once they got used to the whole "only-deaths-with-supers" concept, everyone loved it. I must admit that I never played smash-brothers so I can't really compare to that but for me this was a really unique and fun experience. The online multiplayer also works great and gives you almost the same experience as having friends over playing. The only criticism I have is that the story mode is bland and unimaginative. The trial mode is also somewhat lame. If they had taken a few lessons from Nether Realms on this note and I would have easily given it a 10. Kratos also needs fixing, he's really over-powered (at least on a low-level, like me and my friends). Expand
  94. Nov 28, 2012
    A fun beat-em-up with 4 players, but as a fighting game it's horrendously flawed.

If you're reading this you probably already know the premise of PlayStation All-Stars; A 4 play beat-em-up featuring (mostly) Sony characters. PSABR's combat system, which makes super moves the only method to get kills it both it's greatest strength and most crippling weakness. In a 4 player match, you

PSABR's combat system, which makes super moves the only method to get kills it both it's greatest strength and most crippling weakness. In a 4 player match, you can beat on other players gain super meter very quickly and strategize on which super would be best for their situation, leading to some genuinely fun moments in gameplay. 4 player (and 2v2 variants) fighting is unfortunately where the fun ends with this game. In a 1v1 setting it's horribly paced and fundamentally broken. When fighting against one person, super meter builds more slowly, often causing matches to drag on. This would not be a problem if match setting could be modified to include time as well as stock, but currently you can only choose one or the other. 1v1 character balance is also very poor. Characters like Raiden, Dante and Kratos have attacks with quick start up, long reach and a lot of active frames. This leads to getting hit when you thought an attack animation ended and getting hit when you thought an attack would miss. Many character also have easier ways to hit confirm into a LVL1 super than others. For example, Dante can combo, cancel, and then go into super for a guaranteed kill. Considering that LVL1 builds faster than any other super, his combos can build a full meter, and not many other characters can do this, this gives him a significant advantage, and that's barely scratching the surface of problems. I have played many competitive fighters and this game is in no way, shape or form a competitive fighter.

The graphics for the game make the game look like a downloadable or budget title. The sound is fairly good. Most of the the themes come straight from their respective games. The slight remixes and music mash ups are entertaining.

In terms of gametypes the game is very barebones with just the standard variations of supers-only-kill modes. The unlockable extras for each character are a welcome feature, but it ultimately feels....insubstantial. Especially considering the price of the game.

(This small chunk of my review is opinionated and has little to do with the overall quality of the game): The roster for this game is also sorely lacking. I know fans of this game have their own camps, each asking for their third party character to make the roster for whatever reason, but what about Sony's first parties? Where are Level 5's character's? What about Team ICO? No Wipeout, No Wild Arms, No Legend of Dragoon, War of the Monsters, Frequency, Folklore, Mark of Kri, The list goes on. The creation of this game seems less about celebration of PlayStation throughout it's history and more about advertising their most currently relevant franchises, which would more than explain the incarnations of characters from unreleased games (at the time of this post).

In the end, this game is quite fun as a 4 player mash up. Just don't expect it to be fun as anything else.
  95. Dec 3, 2012
    I didn't want to bring up smash for this review, but it seems there is no choice and it must be said over and over again. This game is NOT super smash bros, so stop making the comparison. PSASBR is a very good game in his own way. It has a small learning curve, but there are plenty of tutorials to make you familiar with this game and each character.

This game was made for multiplayer,

This game was made for multiplayer, and that I what I based my score on. The multiplayer in this game is great, playing with friends online or offline is a certainty of fun. Twenty characters is a good amount to start a franchise with. Again I have to make the comparison with smash, yes smash has more characters, but the first smash didn't had much characters as well. It might even had less then Battle Royale has right now. I see this game is being reviewed with very high scores, but then there are some low ones in there as well. Who are, from my prespective mostly of people who are defending smash and feel like this is a rip off. To those I say: Try the game, don't make a conclusion without even having touched the game. It is a very good game, in his one right.
  96. Jan 16, 2013
    To be frank we all knew when Sony released All Stars that it was going to try to be their answer to the Smash Bros. series but, in typical Sony style the failed to reach expectations. By no means is this a horrible game, far from it. But it lacks refinement in almost every area. To start with, the story. As per the norm with most brawlers it doesn
  97. Feb 13, 2013
    I'm a HUGE fan of Super Smash Bros. BIG fan. They are my "Go To" fighting games especially when I have a group of friends over. But that all changed with PlayStation All Stars. It's unanimous across the board with all my friends. It is far better in every aspect.In Smash Bros. you don't really have to be in the heat of battle to win. You can camp edges and troll opponents with highI'm a HUGE fan of Super Smash Bros. BIG fan. They are my "Go To" fighting games especially when I have a group of friends over. But that all changed with PlayStation All Stars. It's unanimous across the board with all my friends. It is far better in every aspect.In Smash Bros. you don't really have to be in the heat of battle to win. You can camp edges and troll opponents with high percentage and do very little attacking to actually win a fight. PlayStation All Stars does not favor those players in any sort of way. If you want to win, you have to be in the battle attacking. You have to actually be contributing to the fight or you will not even come close to winning. PASBR benefits the players who are skilled with the character they have chosen. It also has one thing above Smash Bros. DIVERSITY. Nearly every character in PASBR plays so differently than the other. If you play about 5 characters in any of the Smash Bros, you have the mechanics for all the other characters that will play exactly the same as the others. All of the characters are so insanely unique in PASBR. They all stand alone with their own unique moves. Much much much more challenging and is far more engaging than Smash Bros. Don't get me wrong, I still and will always love Super Smash, but PlayStation All Stars is far more superior. It is definitely for more aggressive gamers. If you're not an aggressive gamer, you can always go back to camping edges and trolling high percentage players in smash bros. PlayStation All Stars takes some serious skill. Expand
  98. Feb 18, 2013
    After playing this game for the past 3 months, I can definitely say that this game is among my favorite game of 2012. The game is balanced, competitive and fun. This game brings me back to the days of playing with my friends on the couch and playing for bragging rights. In my opinion, this game was underrated and over looked by many people. I think that's a shame because SuperBotAfter playing this game for the past 3 months, I can definitely say that this game is among my favorite game of 2012. The game is balanced, competitive and fun. This game brings me back to the days of playing with my friends on the couch and playing for bragging rights. In my opinion, this game was underrated and over looked by many people. I think that's a shame because SuperBot Entertainment did an amazing job in developing this great game. I was hoping to see the franchise grow into something great and see more of these games but now thats not the case. I don't consider myself a fight fan, but this game makes it very accessible to anyone and can hang with the others in the fighting genre. I can see myself playing this game for many years to come and its a must buy for any PlayStation fans out there. Expand
  99. Mar 6, 2013
    Embarrassingly devoid of features, Playstation All-stars is just begging to be compared to the Super Smash Bros. series. And it comes across as mediocre on most accounts.

The Combat Mechanics are one-dimensional; build your super meter. The extent to which strategy really comes into play, is only whether or not you will try to save your Supers for level 2 or 3 attacks, with varying degrees of success. The characters are fairly balanced, but the lack of health or anything else besides connecting with a super feels stale.

Additionally, the gameplay mechanics that _are_ well conceived suffer from identity crisis. The regular attacks seem to be made for a different game in mind; not the that ensues during a 4-player free for all. And with no online 1-on-1 matching, this is painfully evident. Playstation All-Stars shines best when playing in 2-on-2 team matches; the weaknesses in design are most mitigated, and the strengths come through the most brightly.

The character roster is great (although Raiden standing in where Snake should be, and DmC's Dante standing in where the Classic Dante ought to be it's an opaque reminder that this game is standing beneath the shadows of Super Smash Bros and Marvel vs. Capcom). High notes go to Big Daddy, Kratos, Heihachi, Cole, and others, who fit in wonderfully into the game's theming. While there is some design issues with the juxtaposition between realistic and cartoonish characters (and especially_ backgrounds), the overall theme works well.

Where this game crumbles, for me, is the utter lack of features and incentives to continue playing. "unlockables" are limited to entirely meaningless pattern design options for your online "battle card." While these options are entirely welcome, they are at best a side dish. Yet they make up the majority of what you will be "unlocking." The other unlockables are alternate entrance/victory poses and music themes. These are also welcome; but lest we forget, Heihachi has been doing alternate entrance victory animations since 1994's Tekken. Each character does get an additional costume, which is the only really substantial unlockable. All of these are unlocked by simply _playing the game_. each character "ranks up" the more you play him. Adding insult to the injury, additional costumes have been released as paid dlc.

Playstation All-Stars is most noticeably lacking in game modes; online ranked/random matches, offline versus, Story, and tutorial. There are no "interesting" diversions among them. The greatest offender _by_far_ is the Story mode. A few still image panels act as the character's intro; a few still image panels act as the character's ending. The "writing" is atrocious, even by Fighting game standards. the opportunity to capitalize on character personality interaction is severely unfulfilled. Every match in the mode is uninspired and non-unique. Each character has one "rival match" with another; it amounts to a 20 second cutscene and meaningless dialogue. After the fight, there isn't even a "resolution" scene of meaningless dialogue. The final boss, while _arguably_ creative, in actual execution is literally just a few clone characters that resemble Smash Bros.'s Polygon team.

And speaking of Smash bros.; it is hard not to draw comparison. Specifically in features. The N64's 13 year old Super Smash Bros. has more more varied story mode (with target breaking, multiple kirby matches, etc). All-Stars has none of it. SSB: Melee has _considerably_ more variety and interesting things to do; a game more than a decade older than All-Stars.

It's alarming how quickly you will reach the "wait... That's it?" moment with this game. Unless you are type of gamer who enjoys repetitive online multiplayer battles _as_their_own_reward_, then rent this game to experience it for a time, and move on.

A _generous_ six out of ten.
  100. Apr 1, 2013
    At a glance, one might see this game and instantly call it Sony's cheap attempt to cash in on the hit that Smash Bros was. However, the game is mechanically equal or even better. The multiplayer is in almost every way better than it's counterpart. The singleplayer, however, is more than lacking. The story mode takes, at most, 45 minutes. The multiplayer offers both a ranked and unrankedAt a glance, one might see this game and instantly call it Sony's cheap attempt to cash in on the hit that Smash Bros was. However, the game is mechanically equal or even better. The multiplayer is in almost every way better than it's counterpart. The singleplayer, however, is more than lacking. The story mode takes, at most, 45 minutes. The multiplayer offers both a ranked and unranked matchmaking service, and makes it easy to hop in and play with a friend. While it may not be the huge hit Smash Bros was, it certainly competes with it. Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 15, 2013
    Playstation All-Stars battle Royale: Not the all-star moment everyone was hoping for, Playstation All-Stars battle Royale is instead a decent enough fighter with serious balance problems and a boring cast. [March 2013]
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    It adds that element of strategizing, especially in online play, where a player can knock out all three of their opponents in fell swoop. Plus, much to my amazement, a character I had no experience using won me my first online match – thank you, Jak.
  3. Jan 30, 2013
    Overall, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is mildly fun.