6.1

1. Oct 4, 2011
    This game has potential. I am not denying this in the least. It throws out amazing ideas and concepts, but just doesn't follow through on them. I'm hoping to see something that expands upon the game soon, but until then, this will be getting a mediocre score. It does, however, look amazing. 6/10.
  2. Oct 4, 2011
    k well here's one of my highly anticipated games of 2011. i got my hands on rage at 8 pm monday and it is now tues 6 am and i am closing in on the games final hours of gameplay. usually i try not to rate a game w/o finishing it from front to back first but i know that many will wake up in the morning wanting to get an idea of what to expect w/ rage and whether or not you should buy it ork well here's one of my highly anticipated games of 2011. i got my hands on rage at 8 pm monday and it is now tues 6 am and i am closing in on the games final hours of gameplay. usually i try not to rate a game w/o finishing it from front to back first but i know that many will wake up in the morning wanting to get an idea of what to expect w/ rage and whether or not you should buy it or not. I really did not know what to expect and as we know id software is the mother of the fps genre so being a huge fan of doom and quake i couldnt wait to see how they stacked up w/ next gen consoles. I must say that i immediately saw what these mega textures could do from the first moment upon leaving my hatch/pod and it was beautiful how nicely the world came to life clouds,rocks etc but i did notice that it was not perfect and tearing as well as these textures seem to fight it self at times as if saying "engine overload" . but as far as graphics well its hard to argue that it is one of the best displays on console to date, and the tearing doesnt stop the eyes from wanting to see more, lets put it that way. so graphics are B+.. the "wasteland hybrid" atv is the first time you will be in a vehicle and i was a bit surprised at the tight handling and response of the atv and then later the buggy. and the buggy can be raced for upgrades and weapon mods and is actually a fun time behind the wheel. so i cant help but think that this is feeling a lot like borderlands because as soon as i meet the locals after being rescued i am given a mission involving bandits. while speaking on the missions i will say that although its not as tedious as borderlands as far as side quests and looting it also does have that feel of go to point A and then go to B and then back to A, but just not as much of it. and yes some of the npc you meet are wonderfully crafted and designed but the voice acting is either spot on or just way off. but more importantly are the mundane tasks they ask of you, go light some firecrackers, fetch some buggy parts and grab supplies 50 yards from here,so i just wished while spending the time talking to the well made npc's i would get a better story or mission, well not to be found yet. but it does not take away from the nicely designed npc's and the not so nice (usually merchants) you will encounter along the way. the story finally starts to pick up and so do the weapons and different bullets and "crafting". one can craft a grinding lock pick to a turret to a few other"unique" devices which are a fun part of this game, and no work bench needed, just instructions along with ingredients/material. and i found a handful of "mini games" which were a fun spin on gambling and the "eye of judgement" type game was my fav.. 4 guys rolling dice w/ holograms of 3 mutants and a cowboy and the roll decides your how many shots you can have per turn. 5 finger fillet also makes a showing. the guns/weapons felt really good, the sniper rifle actually felt like one and the shotgun which can be upgraded to a grenade launcher,has a few kinds of ammo just like the hand gun and one round can be told from the other w/ being able to feel and see the harder impact or the damage done to enemies. the peasants gun (pistol) can be coupled w/ a monocular which is described as being a peice of binocular "the good half" so you will hold the gun in one while peeking in the monocular w/ the other, pretty funny how it works. but as far as the weapons, well there are just enough. not too many to get lost in the slight changes from one to the next and not too few to crave more or seem like its lacking. just enough to know and feel each one and learn very quickly the guns strengths and weakness. the wingblade is also a very cool 2 bladed boom-a-rang w/ a handle, but will only come back if you miss or just take out an arm or a leg. and if it gets lodged in the enemies head, you can get it back and can also craft them w/ the manual and materials.the enemies are not the most brilliant a.i i have ever seen, but not the dumbest either. they do get harder to fight as you progress but its their body reaction which is awesome, because they react to where and how they get shot or hit. the animations are very nice and funny at times. the sounds and music are not top notch but they are very good, and the sound effects were also down well. but overall i can simply say that there isnt much to speak of which hasnt been done already. i would say refer to borderlands as far as an idea of the style of game this is, i mean its not a bad thing just feels like the same in many ways, only that the graphics and gameplay/mechanics stand apart, the theme is very sim. but that is a compliment in a lot of ways,just felt like i played this game before.the graphics are great and this is where the game shines,and the controls are good but the story lacks and i feel like this is a well made game but one which is too familiar. its worth a play,but not a day1 must. Expand
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    I'm just going to come out and say it. Rage is a disappointment. There are a few things Rage does well, such as variety in ammo types (like in Bioshock) and having a consistent framerate of 60 frames per second (which never drops) with good graphics to boot. However, there are also a few things Rage doesn't do right, such as texture pop-in, the driving sequences, and the story.

The combat

The combat in Rage is good old FPS fun and the variety in using different ammo types makes the gameplay stand out from other FPS's. You can also craft helpful items that can help you get the edge over enemies, such as bandages, exploding RC cars, and even three sided boomerangs with steel blades on them, which is pretty cool. The graphics are also great, especially from a distance, but most textures look terrible up close. Not much of a surprise there though, given the overall scope of the graphics. Rage is also the most fluid game I've played in terms of framerate. Its always at 60 and never drops. This might not sound that impressive, but keep in mind this is on a console thats around 5-6 years old.

However, Rage seems to fall flat on its face with the story. I've played 4 hours of it and I can tell you now that it has absolutely no connection to the story whatsoever. I'll explain this the best I can without spoiling it. The first hour of the game sees you meeting a character that helps you get started and all that, which is pretty much essential. The next 3 hours, however, see you go to a town and do errands for people, namely the Mayor and Sheriff. You'll be asking yourself what the point of all these errands is and if they're related to the story, and your questions will be answered at around the 4 hour mark when you meet a character that is part of a discourse that seems to be central to the story.

Another thing that Rage doesn't do right is the driving sequences. You'll be driving everywhere from point A to point B and it just feels like filler. There is no incentive to go exploring, and killing the bandits in their buggies gets tedious. There is also texture pop-in, which is very subtle in some parts, but almost unbearable in others.

Overall, Rage could have been a good game, but never really delivered. The story is rather weak, the first 4 hours of the game are completely pointless (and considering people are saying its around the 9 hour mark, thats a huge worry), the driving sequences are merely filler, and ultimately it seems as if ID couldn't decide if they wanted to make an FPS or an RPG. For a game to have been in development for around 4 years and won a range of "Best in Show" awards at E3 2010, this is a big letdown. I give it a 3/10. This game is only worth a rent. It is not worth $60US/$100AUD at all.
  4. Oct 5, 2011
    Giving it a 0/10 because it's unplayable with the horrendous screen tearing.

yes, I have updated drivers, yes, I googled solutions, tried forcing vsync, etc. all of that did not fix the problem & for a good developed game, should not be necessary in the first place.

Junk, don't waste your money.
  5. Oct 4, 2011
    Awesome game! amazing graphics, fun story, racing cars is a cool twist. It's a really great shooter with unique elements that make it different than a standard military type FPS. The graphics are worth the price of admission alone!
  6. Oct 4, 2011
    So many haters. The PC community is the worst. Thankfully I got this on PS3. No lag issues on PS3 and only one disk compared to 360's three. Lot of people complaining about the creator and such, who cares talk about the game. So i'm going to compare this to games I know. Borderlands. So much like borderlands, go to people for quests, go to area, kill guys, go back to person. The missionsSo many haters. The PC community is the worst. Thankfully I got this on PS3. No lag issues on PS3 and only one disk compared to 360's three. Lot of people complaining about the creator and such, who cares talk about the game. So i'm going to compare this to games I know. Borderlands. So much like borderlands, go to people for quests, go to area, kill guys, go back to person. The missions and such are less varied than borderlands but it's also a much smaller game. Its hard not to think of borderlands when playing this if you have played borderlands. Even the car bits remind me. The graphics are like borderlands mixed with photo-realism to make a gorgeous style/setting when the graphics are all loaded in. So far this game has mad texture pop in and it's distracting in large areas. In smaller areas it's much better and looks fantastic. Unlike Borderlands however this is not an RPG. People are comparing it to Fallout 3/new vegas also, this is a FPS people with some RPG elements. Lots of games now have RPG elements and it can't be a crazy awesome RPG by Bethesda because they have been making Skyrim. So compare it the FPS games out there. Much better than most I think. Better setting/story then modern warfare games single player (especially 2) and not far behind black ops. The story is ok yes but what games of this nature (FPS) ever have an amazing story? Until Christopher Nolan writes a game this story is just fine, predictable and cliche but not terrible as people are saying. But it comes down to gameplay and this game is fun to play. I have no idea why so many people are complaining about how horrible this game is or why it seems to be getting spammed with negative scores. Go play G.I. Joe and tell me Rage is a bad game! It has some technical hick-ups but for the most part it runs and plays fine. The quests are about going to a new area and killing people because this is a shooter, you go and shoot things in new areas. What else do you want to be doing? The cars are a nice break and the mini games are fun a couple of times. Haven't touched multiplayer yet as it's only been a day and I have to work too. But I saw too many bad reviews so I had to say I am enjoying this game a lot and I do not feel bad about dropping $60 on it. If you are worried wait a week or more and look online, you can find it cheaper. Glyde/game market $50 right over there -------------------------------------> Anyway giving it a 9/10 because I dislike cry babies who are never satisfied. Not a perfect game but what ones really are and in the end a very enjoyable ride. Expand
  7. Nov 2, 2011
    Rage is an interesting mix of Fallout 3 and Borderlands with the sort of spin on first person shooting that only ID can recreate. Despite the complaints about texture pop-in, you're more likely to ignore little technicaly faults like that when you're knee deep in bandits shooting at you. I do appreciate that it has a much more mature, darker style of gameplay and the graphics are generallyRage is an interesting mix of Fallout 3 and Borderlands with the sort of spin on first person shooting that only ID can recreate. Despite the complaints about texture pop-in, you're more likely to ignore little technicaly faults like that when you're knee deep in bandits shooting at you. I do appreciate that it has a much more mature, darker style of gameplay and the graphics are generally pretty damn astounding. The real letdown comes from the fact that even with the small abundance of side missions, the game is really quite short. Say, within the 10-12 hour range. It's still good for a short ride though, just don't go in expecting the depth and exploration elements that are more familiar with Bestheda's other games Expand
  8. Oct 7, 2011
    What a goofy way to build a game. Id has never wowed me with story, but this story is so tacked it blows my mind. The texture pop-in actually made me sick and forced me to take long breaks between attempts at playing. I have NEVER seen anything like it. Turning your head causes EVERYTHING to reload. EVERYTHING, close and far, inside or outside. In an FPS that is about the worst thing I canWhat a goofy way to build a game. Id has never wowed me with story, but this story is so tacked it blows my mind. The texture pop-in actually made me sick and forced me to take long breaks between attempts at playing. I have NEVER seen anything like it. Turning your head causes EVERYTHING to reload. EVERYTHING, close and far, inside or outside. In an FPS that is about the worst thing I can imagine.

It gets a 2 because the gun play is fun, the AI if fun, and driving is fun. I suggest renting it first to see if you can handle to bad design.
  9. Oct 5, 2011
    Graphics, voice acting, controls, mini games, car racing, intense battles, and quests/story worth reading. These are some of the great things I've noticed so far. The fact that the game only lasts about 10-15 hours with doing every side quest etc and a weak multiplayer make me give it a 8/10. It is obvious where ID put their efforts. Funny thing is all these idiots giving it below aGraphics, voice acting, controls, mini games, car racing, intense battles, and quests/story worth reading. These are some of the great things I've noticed so far. The fact that the game only lasts about 10-15 hours with doing every side quest etc and a weak multiplayer make me give it a 8/10. It is obvious where ID put their efforts. Funny thing is all these idiots giving it below a 5(which in NO WAY it deserves) will probably give Modern Warfare 3 a 10. Expand
  10. Oct 13, 2011
    Was very disappointed in amount of game play. Very linear, no dialogue choices, predictable AI and weak ending. I like the graphics and new engine but NOT a $60 game. I am not factoring in graphics/crashing issues on release.
  11. Oct 10, 2011
    I hate to be a downer, but this game disappointed me from the start.. and I didn't even have that high of expectations for it tbh. Graphically, its superior for any multiplatform release to date.. unless you turn your head, all the textures reload.. its worse then the unreal engine which does the same thing from time to time (which ive always felt was one of the worst engines used). ItI hate to be a downer, but this game disappointed me from the start.. and I didn't even have that high of expectations for it tbh. Graphically, its superior for any multiplatform release to date.. unless you turn your head, all the textures reload.. its worse then the unreal engine which does the same thing from time to time (which ive always felt was one of the worst engines used). It doesn't effect gameplay, its just annoying and distracts you. Otherwise, the environment looks engaging. Invisible walls and guided paths are everywhere. You basically go in a straight line, occasionally diverted by a rock so its a slight curve, and then your back in a straight line again. It wasn't suppose to be a linear game, yet thats exactly what it is. The plot is one of the most basic and boring ones that I've seen for a long time. Dialogue is plain and the voice acting isn't much better. I tried to like this game, I did.. But I never could enjoy it enough to warrant its purchase. You have no customization in your character, and you get to use about 6 different guns. You'll just use the assault rifle when its clear its the most powerful. The game borrows ideas heavily from Borderlands, such as the mission structure, which is just - Go to point A, kill same enemy 12 times, Return to base. Repeat.. And it tries to use some of Fallout's ideas, but never gets it right. Such as some of the enemies are generic rip offs from those used in F3 and New Vegas.. Overall, if I was starting to have fun, it was killed quickly. Driving is repetitive and boring. If you want a good authentic "post apocalyptic" experience, go with Fallout... as this is pretty much just the in-bred retarded child of Fallout 3 and Borderlands... Its only pro - better graphics.. should have spent all that time developing a plot! Expand
  12. Oct 5, 2011
    I personally like this game. Graphics are good, controls are good, plot's above average, and gameplay is just plain awesome. Only things I dislike are the racing part of multiplayer; it gets boring very quickly. Also, I both do & don't like the sniper rifle, both reasons are because you don't have to lead your target, its literally point and shoot. While convenient, its unrealistic. II personally like this game. Graphics are good, controls are good, plot's above average, and gameplay is just plain awesome. Only things I dislike are the racing part of multiplayer; it gets boring very quickly. Also, I both do & don't like the sniper rifle, both reasons are because you don't have to lead your target, its literally point and shoot. While convenient, its unrealistic. I would give it a 9, but if you read other comments you realize some people have mistaken this for the RAGE PC page and talk about the issues on PC, therefore I shall give it a 10. Ah, who am I kidding, I'd give it a 10 anyway, but seriously guys, go talk about the PC problems on the PC page. Collapse
  13. Oct 8, 2011
    I was so looking forward to this game, and of it's technological potential. Unfortunatly the ID tech 5 engine needs some tweaks as I have a lot of pop-up and the quality of the texture overall is mixed. Having a blast with the races though, too bad it's the online thing you can do online (I would've expected at least a deatchmatch and team deatchmatch option). overall just a moderate butI was so looking forward to this game, and of it's technological potential. Unfortunatly the ID tech 5 engine needs some tweaks as I have a lot of pop-up and the quality of the texture overall is mixed. Having a blast with the races though, too bad it's the online thing you can do online (I would've expected at least a deatchmatch and team deatchmatch option). overall just a moderate but mostly enjoyable experience Expand
  14. Oct 15, 2011
    Total waste of $60. This game looks and plays like a cheap knock off of Borderlands and Fallout. Graphics look great-as long as you're STANDING STILL. Draw times/distances are crap and the driving mechanics are lame to say the least. Not to mention the limited multiplayer options. I bought this game in hopes of doing the full campaign with my fiacee. Instead we're stuck with just playingTotal waste of $60. This game looks and plays like a cheap knock off of Borderlands and Fallout. Graphics look great-as long as you're STANDING STILL. Draw times/distances are crap and the driving mechanics are lame to say the least. Not to mention the limited multiplayer options. I bought this game in hopes of doing the full campaign with my fiacee. Instead we're stuck with just playing some BS side missions. Thanks Bethesda, I haven't felt this screwed since prom night Expand
  15. dpc
    Jun 24, 2013
    Played this when it came out and was underwhelmed. Whoever kept touting the "rpg" aspect of it did a disservice to a game that while certainly not Skyrim, does allow you to upgrade your car and whatnot in a fun way. I picked it up again recently for under $15 and I'm having a total blast a lot more fun for some reason than when I first played. I think because I've done the Fallouts andPlayed this when it came out and was underwhelmed. Whoever kept touting the "rpg" aspect of it did a disservice to a game that while certainly not Skyrim, does allow you to upgrade your car and whatnot in a fun way. I picked it up again recently for under $15 and I'm having a total blast a lot more fun for some reason than when I first played. I think because I've done the Fallouts and Borderlands, that comparison is not as in my face and I'm really enjoying it for what it is. And as a balls out FPS with incredible graphics and gameplay it is a real success. Well worth your time and money. Expand
  16. Oct 7, 2011
    Mmmmm, many years in development and we get a hodgepodge or amalgam of game ideas that represent some of the finest ideas of yesterday, mashed together for lukewarm effect. . . RAGE lives up to its name IF pop-in, draw-in, flickering, muddy textures, hub-world style banal fetch quests and collection quests IRK you- However, the B I G G E S T pita (for me) was the DEV suggestion ofMmmmm, many years in development and we get a hodgepodge or amalgam of game ideas that represent some of the finest ideas of yesterday, mashed together for lukewarm effect. . . RAGE lives up to its name IF pop-in, draw-in, flickering, muddy textures, hub-world style banal fetch quests and collection quests IRK you- However, the B I G G E S T pita (for me) was the DEV suggestion of possible EXPLORATION only to find on-rails gameplay, glass walls, distant impostors galore and a minimap that often only highlights the small navigable terrain with small slivers of BLUE splashed in smaller-measure across a larger map expanse which ONLY argued that the world is smallish and limited to predetermined treks. In fact, after DLing the sewer DLC at launch, finishing a few remaining introductory quests which also included a freeform exercise of clearing-out the Arc sewers, a job board tacked-up against the exterior wall of the Second Chance bar at Wellspring OFFERED THE SAME QUEST again, noting that it had already been done, but the muties had moved back in, so go do it once more!?! Recycled, barren, boring and less than impressive, overall, RAGE represents Id's best effort after a reported 6+ years of development? Expand
  17. Dec 1, 2011
    Smooth, sometimes beautiful graphics, and great audio effects. but the gameplay could have been so much more, you can feel that the game oozes potential. especially the ending is a big 'huh? that was it?' moment.
  18. Oct 5, 2011
    Well so far i will score a 9 , havent finished yet maybe a 10 when finished. This game is brilliant, it's freash and real good fun. dont listen to the negative reviews. The graphics are great although you can tell that its alot for the system to handle. one thing remember to save game on a regular basis. one thing that is annoying is the loading times when you die. Have fun with thisWell so far i will score a 9 , havent finished yet maybe a 10 when finished. This game is brilliant, it's freash and real good fun. dont listen to the negative reviews. The graphics are great although you can tell that its alot for the system to handle. one thing remember to save game on a regular basis. one thing that is annoying is the loading times when you die. Have fun with this game i sure as hell am :) Felicrux : this game has Potenial WTF. this game is brilliant. Expand
  19. Oct 24, 2011
    Terrible-Period!Terrible-Period!Terrible-Period!Terrible-Period!Terrible-Period!Terrible-Period!Terrible-Period! Pity I can't get a full refund :-( Wont be touching an ID Software game again, Once burnt....
  20. Oct 6, 2011
    I think this is a great game. It does feel like a mash up of a hand full of other games, (some of which the developer has created anyways), but that doesn't take anything away from it. it has a few texturing issues, and some missions are a bit ridiculous, but as you play through it gets alot better. The guns are great and they feel and sound great. There is a lot to do and see, and it isI think this is a great game. It does feel like a mash up of a hand full of other games, (some of which the developer has created anyways), but that doesn't take anything away from it. it has a few texturing issues, and some missions are a bit ridiculous, but as you play through it gets alot better. The guns are great and they feel and sound great. There is a lot to do and see, and it is alot of fun. I recommend it. Expand
  21. Oct 5, 2011
    Beautiful graphics and easily the best looking game ever made. (if you can ignore the unacceptable screen-tearing).Rage doesn't do much that's new.In fact,some gameplay elements are archaic in nature;the quest structure for example.I enjoyed the vehicles a great deal,and didn't mind the arcade style driving.The FPS mechanics are typical id software,which is to say that they are greatBeautiful graphics and easily the best looking game ever made. (if you can ignore the unacceptable screen-tearing).Rage doesn't do much that's new.In fact,some gameplay elements are archaic in nature;the quest structure for example.I enjoyed the vehicles a great deal,and didn't mind the arcade style driving.The FPS mechanics are typical id software,which is to say that they are great though the game descends into corridor shooting a lot,which the developers made famous in the 90's.All in all,the amazing visuals,fun vehicle elements and upgrades add a couple of points to what is essentially an old school FPS. Expand
  22. Oct 5, 2011
    Fluidity is the first thing I noticed when I played the game. I love the randomness, reminds me of a mixture of fallout3 and borderlands. I am enjoying it very much, I was very shocked to look up the rating after playing the game to see it so low. People, if you have a console that supprts this game, "GET IT".
  23. Oct 6, 2011
    Awesome game! Good graphics, good sound, good racing, good AI, impressive arsenal, amazing shooting! Thanks id. Go Doom 4 and Rage 2 :) Haters gonna hate.
  24. Oct 17, 2011
    Terrible game from a developer that hasn't proven itself since Quake 2. Avoid this, unless you really need something to do, I could see dropping 20 bucks but no more then that. Lackluster story, ending, level design is absolute **** Hell getting the final gun, I didn't even use it thinking there was a main boss, but no. Shame on ID for a bunch of hype for nothing. Mini games in a game..youTerrible game from a developer that hasn't proven itself since Quake 2. Avoid this, unless you really need something to do, I could see dropping 20 bucks but no more then that. Lackluster story, ending, level design is absolute **** Hell getting the final gun, I didn't even use it thinking there was a main boss, but no. Shame on ID for a bunch of hype for nothing. Mini games in a game..you know something is wrong then. Expand
  25. Oct 21, 2011
    Rage is unfinished. The PS3 version of the game is full of technical issues which include but are not limited to: severe texture pop-in (probably the worst I've ever seen), horrendous screen tearing in the hub cities and sound skipping. The ending also has to be one of the worst in recent history, it looks like id software ran out of time/money and just called it day when the game was 3/4Rage is unfinished. The PS3 version of the game is full of technical issues which include but are not limited to: severe texture pop-in (probably the worst I've ever seen), horrendous screen tearing in the hub cities and sound skipping. The ending also has to be one of the worst in recent history, it looks like id software ran out of time/money and just called it day when the game was 3/4 finished. The engine is deplorable. There are basically no physics. Everything except enemies is nailed to the ground, you can throw a grenade under a table and then watch it implode with the table staying completely intact. The pre-baked lighting is also obvious. Rage is a good looking game as long as you don't get too close to anything. Because once you get close to an object you can see how low-res all the textures really are, aside from that I've also encountered objects which didn't seem to have any textures at all. I can understand that they had to dumb down the textures on consoles to keep the 60 frames per second but the low-res textures plague even the PC version (which was unplayable at release and had no options to customize your graphics settings). Id Software seriously need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just concentrate on making good games. In some cases like the PS3 and PC version I'd even say that they should concentrating on making a working game first. The state in which this game was released is unaccaptable. This is the last time I put money in the pockets of Id software/Bethesda, and this is coming from a long time Id Software fan that has owned all their games since Wolfenstein 3D.This was my most anticipated game of 2011 and that only adds insult to injury. Stay away from this poorly polished, slapped together and disappointing title. There are way better games coming out that are all more worth your time than this. Expand
  26. Oct 27, 2011
    This game has great graphics but that's about all it has going for it. It's almost like iD really wanted to make a Borderlands clone and then forgot to include everything that made Borderlands so enjoyable.
  27. Oct 9, 2011
    This is some of the best fun I have had in a while with a FPS game. The driving sections are not really needed and don't add anything to the gameplay, apart from breaking up the hugely enjoyable shooting sections. The FPS/shooting parts of the game is where is excels, the weapons make this game an absolute laugh at times, enemies are quick if a little too 'pop n duck' at times. Story isThis is some of the best fun I have had in a while with a FPS game. The driving sections are not really needed and don't add anything to the gameplay, apart from breaking up the hugely enjoyable shooting sections. The FPS/shooting parts of the game is where is excels, the weapons make this game an absolute laugh at times, enemies are quick if a little too 'pop n duck' at times. Story is not really there and it is very linear, but I personally prefer a less open world as I don't like to spend a lifetime within a game.

Given 10 to counter the poor reviews which is unfair. (8)

Recommended.
  28. Mar 14, 2012
    I tried to like this game, but it really just wasn't that good. The environment graphics were quite nice though the characters didn't look great and were animated poorly, but it just wasn't that interesting. The game ends very suddenly in a way like its setting you up for a much more impressive sequel, but its not a game deserving of a sequel imo. Either that or they got sick of making itI tried to like this game, but it really just wasn't that good. The environment graphics were quite nice though the characters didn't look great and were animated poorly, but it just wasn't that interesting. The game ends very suddenly in a way like its setting you up for a much more impressive sequel, but its not a game deserving of a sequel imo. Either that or they got sick of making it so rushed a quick ending out.
    It felt a bit like a chore at times, and the racing/driving stuff can get pretty annoying. The shooting is generally good but its a bit easy on normal mode (usually I suck at FPS but this was a breeze) and can get to be a chore when its just waves of easily killable mutants running at you and you can't leave the area until you've shot them all.
  29. Oct 10, 2011
    this carries on a trend I am 100% behind, being a move away from modern warfare and tactical ops games. Rage reminds me why I fell in love with shooters 16-odd years ago. its eminently playable, stylistically beautiful, smooth and full of character. the natural evolution of the id pedigree and a bloody fun game!
  30. Oct 12, 2011
    Rage is a mixed bag. Great visuals, silky smooth framerate, solid gunplay, fun driving.... its a technical acheivement, no doubt. It's the design and creativity (or lacktherof) that brings it down a notch or two. A game like this is screaming for some humor, and the few attempts are feeble indeed. The NPC's have no personality whatsoever and are all pretty generic. Even the mutantRage is a mixed bag. Great visuals, silky smooth framerate, solid gunplay, fun driving.... its a technical acheivement, no doubt. It's the design and creativity (or lacktherof) that brings it down a notch or two. A game like this is screaming for some humor, and the few attempts are feeble indeed. The NPC's have no personality whatsoever and are all pretty generic. Even the mutant deathmatch game show host is very "yawn." When creating a game that was no doubt influenced by Borderlands to some extent, its a shame that id didn't learn anything about humor and memorable NPC's. The story, world and ending are also very limited and forgettable. I had a decent time playing this game, but the lack of multiplayer modes, lack of innovation and lack of personality make me feel like id missed to mark on this one. Expand
  31. Oct 11, 2011
    Rage is certainly the emotion I expressed in response to this "game". The cataclysmically poor release of Rage if anything, symbolises of John Carmack flushing his job and legacy down the toilet. Rage gives the impression of a game larger than it really is, while failing to meet even the lowest of expectations and even sinking below the realms of mediocrity into the stinking depths ofRage is certainly the emotion I expressed in response to this "game". The cataclysmically poor release of Rage if anything, symbolises of John Carmack flushing his job and legacy down the toilet. Rage gives the impression of a game larger than it really is, while failing to meet even the lowest of expectations and even sinking below the realms of mediocrity into the stinking depths of absolute crap. The Arc? Resistance? Foes called the Security? Oh sorry, Authority? The threadbare story that actually does exist in this game is simply pilfered from Brink, a substandard game in its own right. Slap together all the WORST bits of Borderlands and you have Rage.

Combat consists of mind-numbing corridor shooting, padded out by twice as much running/driving to and from objectives. That's it.

From the start, I wasn't even able to play it. For some asinine reason, Carmack thought it'd be a great idea to develop software for console systems that were already obsolete rather than the PC which is used itself to actually CODE the game, and so constantly at the fore. So thanks to id Softwareâ
  32. Oct 13, 2011
    Rage is a very interesting game. It is one of the best looking games to date on consoles and PC. The gameplay isn't revolutionary in any sort of way, but it is extremely fun. Although this isn't one of the best games this year, this delivers one of the most fun fps experiences this year and is a blast first time around.
  33. Oct 18, 2011
    Rage ?
    Hell yeh,I was perfectly calm before making the mistake of playing this poor excuse for a video game.
    This game's been done & re done so many times that nobody cares anymore,If I wanted to run around shooting stuff (in a video game) I'd play Grand Theft Auto which would mean I would be able to shoot stuff,drive stuff & crash stuff, Alternatively I could blow £40 on
    Rage ?
    Alternatively I could blow £40 on Rage & just walk around & shoot stuff,

WHICH ONE WOULD YOU CHOOSE ?

Think carefully before answering this question,especially those of you that were at the back of the que when the brains were being handed out,

Yes this means you !
  34. Oct 14, 2011
    This game could have been better. I mean, there are a great variety of good points: great gameplay, outstanding visuals... But, the game let's us go at the main part. The story is disappointing, we can't really get immersed in the world of Rage. The game could have been longer too, it took me 11 hours to finish, which is disappointing too. After finishing the story, we can't continue toThis game could have been better. I mean, there are a great variety of good points: great gameplay, outstanding visuals... But, the game let's us go at the main part. The story is disappointing, we can't really get immersed in the world of Rage. The game could have been longer too, it took me 11 hours to finish, which is disappointing too. After finishing the story, we can't continue to roam in the world of Rage; it was a great point in other games like Oblivion and Fallout 3 (After buying the "Broken steel" DLC).

It isn't a complete failure, but it could have been better. It's still a good game, but you could wait a couple of months before buying it.
  35. Oct 16, 2011
    I just wanted to emphasize that, in the PS3 version at least, the texture pop-in is VERY noticeable, to the point of detracting significantly from the experience. A lot of reviewers have been praising Rage's graphics, and when they have had time to load they do look good. But you can see them loading all too well. It's disappointing because graphics are probably this game's strongest feature.
  36. Oct 18, 2011
    This is a game that lacks an identity. I have played 20 hours so far, and I don't know if the developers wanted this to be a first-person shooter, or a racing game. The racing portion was well-made. The vehicles have decent handling and the power-ups make the races quite a bit more interesting by forcing the player to strategize and adapt while racing. The vehicle customization isThis is a game that lacks an identity. I have played 20 hours so far, and I don't know if the developers wanted this to be a first-person shooter, or a racing game. The racing portion was well-made. The vehicles have decent handling and the power-ups make the races quite a bit more interesting by forcing the player to strategize and adapt while racing. The vehicle customization is enjoyable, although the selections lacked depth. Vehicle driving consumes a large portion of the first 20 hours of the game. The first-person portion was a bit of a let down to me. The quests are monotonous and repetitive. Small, uni-directional environments make for an uninteresting quest experience. The weapons are difficult to aim, and it seems as though all of the weapons have the same damage effects as well as the same sound effects. The enemies are either over-powered or under-powered, and have incredibly bad A.I. Also, there is no cover system implemented in this game, and your character can often be shot or killed through objects, making for a frustrating gaming experience. Through the first 20 hours of game play, very little information is given on the background of your character (or other characters), and this alienates the player from the game world. There is no feeling of immersion and there is no emotional bond with this game. However, the portion I was really impressed with was the graphics rendering. This game is almost certainly the best-looking PS3 game I have ever played. The game has an impressive environment and art direction. The most impressive graphics feature, however, is that the environment doesn't blur when there is movement on-screen, or when panning the camera. Graphics-wise, this game is beautiful. Expand
  37. Oct 29, 2011
    I have PS3 and PC version of RAGE and both are broken. I bought PC version on launch but being an AMD/ATi graphic card user, I could not run the game. Id's John Carmack simply blame AMD for the issue which is very unprofessional. It took more than a week for a patch to be release but the game suffers from texture pop in. I gave up the PC version and bought the PS3 version. The PS3 versionI have PS3 and PC version of RAGE and both are broken. I bought PC version on launch but being an AMD/ATi graphic card user, I could not run the game. Id's John Carmack simply blame AMD for the issue which is very unprofessional. It took more than a week for a patch to be release but the game suffers from texture pop in. I gave up the PC version and bought the PS3 version. The PS3 version looks like **** and suffers from the exact same texture pop in. That's totally unacceptable!!! Killzone 3 and Uncharted 2/3 show off the PS3 hardware correctly, id software spent 5 **** years to develop this broken piece of **** I will not buy another product from id or Bethesda ever again. Expand
  38. Oct 26, 2011
    Having so much hype gave me the impression that this was going to be a good game, but then once it was in my playstation i was dissapointed for the first time from anything ID softsoftware has ever made. Im a huge fan of doom and wolfenstein, one of my favorite games of all time was Doom 3. But once you get into Rage and start doing fetch quests and are kept in a linear area, you startHaving so much hype gave me the impression that this was going to be a good game, but then once it was in my playstation i was dissapointed for the first time from anything ID softsoftware has ever made. Im a huge fan of doom and wolfenstein, one of my favorite games of all time was Doom 3. But once you get into Rage and start doing fetch quests and are kept in a linear area, you start to realize how much smoke and mirrors rage hid behind. The amazing trailers and stand out premier gameplay made it seem like a good game. But dont waste your time with this sad waste of memory on your ps3, including you have the amount to even play it, xbox has 3 disks to play this game, ps3 has one yet the GB is enough to make you question buying it. 40gb ps3 owners pass this one Expand
  39. Nov 10, 2011
    This game was a dissappointment. Whereas it did deliver in some gameplay, in virtually every other area it did not. This game has great ideas, and potential even in a setting and genre where many games exist, i.e. fallout 3, borderlands etc. this game was set in a setting where a great story could have emerged. Fallout and borderlands did not have strong stories, and in thisThis game was a dissappointment. Whereas it did deliver in some gameplay, in virtually every other area it did not. This game has great ideas, and potential even in a setting and genre where many games exist, i.e. fallout 3, borderlands etc. this game was set in a setting where a great story could have emerged. Fallout and borderlands did not have strong stories, and in this post-apoctolyptic setting, few games have established story over gameplay. For gameplay it delivers. For story it dissappoints. Expand
  40. Nov 25, 2011
    After all the hype this game got, i am extremely crushed to my core. The graphics aren't event that good and the world that your given is rather small. Its like a mix of borderlands and fallout 3, but made rubbish, well, rubbish is a strong word. Very average to say the least. You cant even level up, leaving all the repetitive tasks you have to do pointless, it might be worth a rental at most
  41. Dec 27, 2011
    Crappy game all around, from screen tearing to dumb as a rock storyline. Texture pop-ins and developers keeping silent about any and all issues show how much they care about this rat crap they made. Worth a buy when it's 10 bucks, which should be soon seeing as it's dropped to 20 at a ton of places. Shame on ID being put in Bethesda's grimy money hungry stable of D- developers. PureCrappy game all around, from screen tearing to dumb as a rock storyline. Texture pop-ins and developers keeping silent about any and all issues show how much they care about this rat crap they made. Worth a buy when it's 10 bucks, which should be soon seeing as it's dropped to 20 at a ton of places. Shame on ID being put in Bethesda's grimy money hungry stable of D- developers. Pure garbage, stay away! Expand
  42. Feb 23, 2012
    When you think of a game from ID you think of some good solid games like Doom . Rage had alot of hype and from the screen shots and trailers it looked very promising . Then i got to play it and the first thing i noticed right off the bat was just how god awful the texture pop in was . yes thoose graphics and facial animations look great when they don't take 5 seconds to load up. nowWhen you think of a game from ID you think of some good solid games like Doom . Rage had alot of hype and from the screen shots and trailers it looked very promising . Then i got to play it and the first thing i noticed right off the bat was just how god awful the texture pop in was . yes thoose graphics and facial animations look great when they don't take 5 seconds to load up. now texture pop ups to me is a small gripe if the game play is solid and fun and story is entertaining ... unfortunitly Rage doesnt do much better there eather. the gun play is good and solid and wepon selection great but the story is so abysmally dull you will not give a crap on what is going on. also the missions are just very very bland and repetitive . this game borrows heavily from boarderlands with out the fun, 4 player co-op or HUGE open world to run through. had this game had a huge open world , better missions, a some what a decent story . it could have been a pretty good game worth $60 as it is ... its not even worth renting because of ID's retarded move to lock out some of the the games story content if you dont buy it new. id say im glad i only payed $18 for this new on Amazon only 2 months after it came out but i kind of can't but i atleast can say i am glad i didn't pay $60 for it because if i did it would get a lower score. it took me 3 months to finish the game because i was so bored with the game and not because it was long . it's only about 12 hours which actauly isn't bad for a FPS game but when its so boring i cant play it longer then 20-30 min at a sit down because i know longer give a crap... well that says alot about the game. Expand
  43. Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah it might not win any awards for originality, but its sure to win some awards for being downright enjoyable! Only slight gripe with it are the loading times, but you soon forget about that once you start shooting mutants or authority ^_^
  44. Mar 2, 2012
    I'm not sure what the professional reviewers were smoking or drinking to give this game an 80 plus rating. It contains so many problems. I suspect the reviewers concentrated only on the graphics which are really really well done. However, good graphics should be a compliment to the game not the sole criteria by which the game is judged. Just off the top of my head, enemies mutter the sameI'm not sure what the professional reviewers were smoking or drinking to give this game an 80 plus rating. It contains so many problems. I suspect the reviewers concentrated only on the graphics which are really really well done. However, good graphics should be a compliment to the game not the sole criteria by which the game is judged. Just off the top of my head, enemies mutter the same two or three lines "He's over here" or some obsenity I can't put in print here. Game is very linear fetchquest. You go see a character who is a stand still animation mainly saying "Can you help me out?" Over and over. The game is quite linear. The enemies are challenging yet idiots. You can pop one in the head and blood will splatter on the piller behind him but he is totally fine right. Able to just stand there again. Perhaps it would be attention to detail to not have the blood splatter til the character is actually injured to death. And on top of that who gets shot in the head and just kinda hangs out waiting to get popped again? The enemies also retreat on you when it would be a better option to mob you. Essentially they allow you to easily transverse an area by making their attack weaker and less intelligent. Apart from this game having beautiful graphics and being a shooter game it has so many shortcomings. Don't get me wrong this can be a fun game but to get a high rating it also has to have some top end features, which is does not apart from the graphics and graphics alone. Expand
  45. Oct 22, 2011
    This game was definetly over hyped and being that it took 5 years with no dead line to reach, makes this game probably the flop of the year for sure. Graphics are the best around and it seems that id just soley concentrated on that alone. Even so the graphics with this game engine needs 2-3 seconds to load the textures when moving the camera. So even the graphics have issues. TheThis game was definetly over hyped and being that it took 5 years with no dead line to reach, makes this game probably the flop of the year for sure. Graphics are the best around and it seems that id just soley concentrated on that alone. Even so the graphics with this game engine needs 2-3 seconds to load the textures when moving the camera. So even the graphics have issues. The linear missions, length, multiplayer, and ending just make me wonder what was id doing for 5 years BESIDES hyping this game up. They definetly should be ashamed and they are, for they just postponed DOOM 4 indefintly. Expand
  46. Oct 13, 2011
    I dont get it. Reviewers criticize Rage for being not intuitive and repetetive etc.

But games like Killzone 3 or Resistance 3 (not saying that these games suck, i also enjoyed them) or Call of Duty / Battlefield receive overhyped reviews and scores. I mean common, Rage offers: - Races - Open World like gameplay - Superp Shooting - Great enemy animations - Side-JObs - Mini-Games -

I mean common, Rage offers:

- Races
    - Open World like gameplay
    - Superp Shooting
    - Great enemy animations
    - Side-JObs
    - Mini-Games
    - Collectibles - Coop-Multiplayer
    - Crafting (Upgradeable items)
    - Different Ammo-Types
    - Different Cars (Upgradeable)
    - Armor (Upgradeable)
    - Really nice GFX

So what else do you want?!!??!?!?!?!? What did Killzone 3 or Resistance 3 etc. do so significantly better?? If you enjoyed games like Borderlands, Fallout etc. give it a try! 99% That you'll enjoy this game as much as i do right now.
  47. Dec 27, 2011
    The game is ordinary and hard to even play without a quest marker and map, i don't like getting stuck in games and this game has no hub or nothing so it gets boring. They should stick to making engines only, there games are ordinary.
  48. Oct 11, 2011
    Rage is a FPS with awesome graphics, array of weapons to choose from and well done voice acting. Missing from the game is a well thought out story and the ability to explore more of the devastated world with your vehicle. This is not an open world game. This feels more like Borderlands than Fallout 3. As others have said, there is potential here but what you do with that potential is allRage is a FPS with awesome graphics, array of weapons to choose from and well done voice acting. Missing from the game is a well thought out story and the ability to explore more of the devastated world with your vehicle. This is not an open world game. This feels more like Borderlands than Fallout 3. As others have said, there is potential here but what you do with that potential is all that matters. ID Software has failed in bringing a different FPS than others have. But if that was there goal than this was a success. They have followed the safe path and released another linear and boring storyline FPS which theirs nothing wrong with if that's your type of game. This game is not all bad as stated before. Game play is somewhat addictive and they do have some interesting weapons and gadgets. Bottom line is if companies are going to take 7 years in creating a video game it better be worth the wait. Scores: Game play 4/5, sound 4/5, graphics 5/5, fun factor 3/5, replay value 3/5. Expand
  49. Oct 10, 2011
    This game is like getting 3 games in one. The campaign by itself is fun with a GTA style mission system and great gun play. A little light in the story dept. but most FPS games are so I'm really not going to complain about it. The texture loading is minimal and for graphics that look this good I'm not going to complain as it really has no effect on game play. There are some decentThis game is like getting 3 games in one. The campaign by itself is fun with a GTA style mission system and great gun play. A little light in the story dept. but most FPS games are so I'm really not going to complain about it. The texture loading is minimal and for graphics that look this good I'm not going to complain as it really has no effect on game play. There are some decent upgrades for both weapons and vehicles not to mention you can collect items and create your own stuff similar to games like Oblivion of Fallout. You also get an awesome online Mad Max road warrior style 4 player car combat mode that is really fun and frantic! This mode alone makes the game worth it to me. This is car combat done better than I have ever seen anyplace else perhaps excluding Twisted Metal.

On top of that you get an online two player co-op mode very similar to spec-ops in the CoD series. This is great fun especially trying to beat all the level on the hardest difficulty with a buddy. There is a ton of quality and fun packed into one single game here so nobody should miss RAGE!
  50. Oct 13, 2011
    game is phenomenal... defientely oozes with content, gameplay, modes, graphics. Do everything the game has to offer and it will last you 20+ hours easily. Some of the best vehicles, enemies, AI, and weapons/invetory system i've ever seen.

MP vehicle challenges are a blast, and coop is very challenging.

10/10. Great job id & bethesda!
  51. Oct 7, 2011
    I've been waiting for this game for a long time. Rage is a great game and I don't understand why people are giving it so much **** It's obvious that id spent a lot of time on this game and really paid a lot of attention to detail. The gameplay is just silky smooth with the new Tech5 engine and I don't believe I've played another FPS that has this good of controls. The graphics are justI've been waiting for this game for a long time. Rage is a great game and I don't understand why people are giving it so much **** It's obvious that id spent a lot of time on this game and really paid a lot of attention to detail. The gameplay is just silky smooth with the new Tech5 engine and I don't believe I've played another FPS that has this good of controls. The graphics are just amazing and the detail even made my wife (who hates video games) stand back in awe. The racing sequences are also amazing; reminds me of Motorstorm quite a bit. As for the flaws and my criticism, the texture popping is noticeable but hasn't deterred me from enjoying the **** out of this game. Also, a full map of the wasteland and waypoints would have been a great addition to the game. Other than that, I'm more than happy with my purchase and have been recommending this game to everyone. Expand
  52. Dec 18, 2011
    Good: Graphically the game looks amazing! The screen tearing didnt bother me, it was acceptiable. Game play is sily smooth, with amazing feeling when you have gun battles. Atmosphere is scary when youre exploring the dead city. The music and sound effects are great as well.

Bad: The whole "Racing" I found to be very childish, it felt like it was just filler to make the game seem longer.

Story, had a very good start. But then it just became not intresting. The ending of the game, felt like it was rushed. The game had alot of potential, but it just felt like a small area to play in and the gameplay was very linear. Overall I wanted my experience to last in this world, but it was too short and not deep enough.
  53. Oct 15, 2011
    Man i fell for the hype. What a let down. It a smaller copy version of Borderland. Period. I finished it in 13 hours. COME ON. First was the horrible graphic of tearing screen staring straight at me. AND they said they have done the testing before releasing the game. SURE oh please.
    This is what you get when you design a game for the console first then the PC. Water-down, unplayable, and limited choices.
    Borderland took me 30 to 40 hours because i enjoy driving around looking at the scenery. WHERE THE scenery in this game? Other than the city part, not much.
    I would advise to stay away from this game until they get it fixes properly and added at least to more maps.
    Seriously i got shot thousand of time and I don't need to repair or upgrade up battle suit??????
  54. Oct 12, 2011
    A really enjoyable game. So many great elements to it. The story was compelling although it lost speed towards the end. Beautiful graphics and great game play. It's definitely worth picking up and playing. These people giving this game such low scores obviously have no idea how to properly rate games. This game is not a below average game and should not be getting such piss poor scores.
  55. Oct 19, 2011
    Awesome game! Id software, many thanks for your games!
    This one is awesome! It has a perfect gameplay, a perfect soundtrack, the driving sequence are really cool, the animations are incredible. The only thing i've hated is the texture issues!
    But, who cares, the games is awesome as it is
  56. Nov 8, 2011
    Rage is my biggest let down of the year. the story is poor and the action is repetitive.I could go on about rage all day but all i need to say is the on the PS3 this game is as good as broken. The graphic pop in and screen tare is that bad i couldn't play it . to top this ID showed of the game saying it was on the PS3 when it quite clearly wasn't as we would have all seen the shoddy jobRage is my biggest let down of the year. the story is poor and the action is repetitive.I could go on about rage all day but all i need to say is the on the PS3 this game is as good as broken. The graphic pop in and screen tare is that bad i couldn't play it . to top this ID showed of the game saying it was on the PS3 when it quite clearly wasn't as we would have all seen the shoddy job they did on the ps3. Very poor. i will not be buying another ID game again Expand
  57. Nov 14, 2011
    The definition of a mediocre game. Many things detract from an experience that could of contended with the other holiday blockbusters, only some of which I will mention. The lack of guns available really impacts the amount of fun to be had in each individual hostile encounter, with each mission always requiring the trip back to stock up on the assault rifle ammo. Linear hallways and roadsThe definition of a mediocre game. Many things detract from an experience that could of contended with the other holiday blockbusters, only some of which I will mention. The lack of guns available really impacts the amount of fun to be had in each individual hostile encounter, with each mission always requiring the trip back to stock up on the assault rifle ammo. Linear hallways and roads soon become an reoccurring theme, with the top-notch AI trying its best to impress with acrobatic manoeuvres and random gun play. Now for Rage's main selling point, its graphics. E3 demos and footage released afterwards showcased the outstanding technical marvel that iD had created, but unfortunately, well for my copy at least, Rage is plagued with 2-3 second delays in texture loading. This may not sound too bad, but with Rage's frantic AI jumping all over the place, each time you look around your greeted with PS2 looking graphics. This review may sound quite negative, but there are very few aspects worthy of praise, rather a quick nod and a mumbled grunt of approval. Rage could of been better, grmph. Expand
  58. Aug 8, 2012
    This game had interesting gameplay ideas, sadly most fall flat on their face, in similiar matter to another FPS called Brink. The gunplay is terrible at times due to enemies being walking bullet sponges, able to take 2 shots to the head to be killed. Combine this with the lack of different we aponry and you have a pretty generic shooter the only redeeming element in combat being theThis game had interesting gameplay ideas, sadly most fall flat on their face, in similiar matter to another FPS called Brink. The gunplay is terrible at times due to enemies being walking bullet sponges, able to take 2 shots to the head to be killed. Combine this with the lack of different we aponry and you have a pretty generic shooter the only redeeming element in combat being the wingsticks. Sure the graphics are pretty but I couldn't give 2 **** about graphics. If you want an interesting and long lasting apocalypse game then just go get Fallout for the PC. 7/10 Expand
  59. Mar 18, 2013
    Honestly i expected more from id Software. Unlikable characters (i mean ALL of them with the idiot sitting in the toilet or whatever that is taking prize number one). The story is very shallow and doesn't come together AT ALL. The action is not the worse that i've seen but it´s not the best either. The game on the PS3 looks bad and the textures take way too long to load up. And don't evenHonestly i expected more from id Software. Unlikable characters (i mean ALL of them with the idiot sitting in the toilet or whatever that is taking prize number one). The story is very shallow and doesn't come together AT ALL. The action is not the worse that i've seen but it´s not the best either. The game on the PS3 looks bad and the textures take way too long to load up. And don't even make talk about that stupid multyplayer concept... Expand
  60. Nov 28, 2011
    The ID Tech 5 engine suffers from enormous amounts of texture pop-ins to get the game to run at 60 FPS. The loading/saving times are atrocious, and the saving system felt outdated - the game also didn't feel the need to assist me during combat and gave me the middle finger if I happened to forget to buy ammo for a mission. I once died from jumping on an elevator going downwards because ofThe ID Tech 5 engine suffers from enormous amounts of texture pop-ins to get the game to run at 60 FPS. The loading/saving times are atrocious, and the saving system felt outdated - the game also didn't feel the need to assist me during combat and gave me the middle finger if I happened to forget to buy ammo for a mission. I once died from jumping on an elevator going downwards because of the fall damage, which makes no sense according to the laws of physics. The story wasn't even vaguely interesting, and the missions seemed sort of random and didn't build up to anything. The game had so much content that didn't add to the main storyline, and a lot of weapons/equipment to choose from without a good load-out system to back it up during combat. The over-the-top scary music felt forced and annoying, similarly with the low-pitch speaking British enemies. A lot of things in the FPS genre has been improved upon since the days of Doom, and id Software has chosen not to implement a lot of contemporary ideas, such as a talking Main Character, in addition to a modern Checkpoint system - which is understandable in stealth games which requires a lot of planning and decision making, but not in a Modern Shooter. And the ideas they have chosen to take on often lacks in comparisons to competitors, such as the mini-map GPS system, RPG elements, different ammo types, and vehicle combat. Most of the story revolves around doing errands for other characters, leaving only a couple of hours for the actual Main Story. The ending didn't give me any closure, and seemed like they just decided to wrap it up and call it the day once the engine was polished and ran smoothly on all systems. That said, the ID Tech 5 engine is the only good thing to write home about in regards to this release, and although it has many flaws, it also has moments of beauty, such as the scenery present when walking about in the wasteland - and the combat isn't half-bad either. The enemy AI is perhaps more intelligent than most other games. Though in comparison to all the other shooters this year, this game falls short. Expand
  61. Nov 22, 2012
    For a game developed for 8-10 year old hardware this was still a poor effort. Some nice concepts that in no way compensate for what feels like a mash up of other peoples games. Bloody awful at release and still unplayable for now if you are used to any present generation PC FPS. I am told that this was the first time my friends lad ever returned a game he rented early so he could rentFor a game developed for 8-10 year old hardware this was still a poor effort. Some nice concepts that in no way compensate for what feels like a mash up of other peoples games. Bloody awful at release and still unplayable for now if you are used to any present generation PC FPS. I am told that this was the first time my friends lad ever returned a game he rented early so he could rent something else and not waste the weekend. On the PC, I thought it was just unplayable. It felt old but not in any sort of classic, pleasant reminiscence sort of way.. Expand
  62. Oct 28, 2011
    The game starts with a story that shows great promise and game play that feels genuinely unique, the enemy AI was very fast and exciting, the driving aspects handle well and felt fresh. Then after about an hour or so, you start to realize that these aspects never evolve into anything more. The gun play never changes and after the first few levels its excitement wears off. The drivingThe game starts with a story that shows great promise and game play that feels genuinely unique, the enemy AI was very fast and exciting, the driving aspects handle well and felt fresh. Then after about an hour or so, you start to realize that these aspects never evolve into anything more. The gun play never changes and after the first few levels its excitement wears off. The driving mechanics are solid but there's no where interesting to drive to. The story had a decent premise but all the NPCs are shallow and their missions do little to develop the plot. These are the underlying issues that plague the game, however, I could go on to list a number of smaller things that really irked me as well. While I did enjoy my time with RAGE, I feel it ultimately failed to do what it set out to accomplish and at a time when there are so many better games on the market, I find it difficult to recommend. Expand
  63. Oct 16, 2011
    I am about 4 - 5 hours into the game and I enjoy it tremendously. This game has some insane graphics. Hands down one of the best to date. The game is superb combination of first person shooter, role playing and racing game. It is refreshing to play this game after boring single player call of duty type games over and over again. I love all small details in this game. Side missions are coolI am about 4 - 5 hours into the game and I enjoy it tremendously. This game has some insane graphics. Hands down one of the best to date. The game is superb combination of first person shooter, role playing and racing game. It is refreshing to play this game after boring single player call of duty type games over and over again. I love all small details in this game. Side missions are cool and fun to play. .Mutant bash TV is just awesome [remains me of old game called Smash TV] The game has some crazy looking, superb weapons with different types of ammunition. There are several types of vehicles in this game. Vehicles can be customized with weapons and decals. Rage is great game. You should definitely give it a try. Expand
  64. Oct 19, 2011
    Disappointing. The game world is stunning and seems very large, but its so linear. The missions are super repetitive. The guns seem weak.
    Borderland is a clear reference point, and is a superior game.
    I've given up after only a few hours play and I shall be trading it in.
  65. Oct 15, 2011
    It's a first person shooter with driving bits in that are on par with a decent driving game. Shooting mechanics are are some of the best you will find on PC or Console. The enemy AI is some of the best on the market when using their ability to use use the terran to their advantage. Story is ok, its not going to win any awards but keeps the game ticking along nicely.

I have both the 360

I have both the 360 and PC version, after some pain with the PC drivers game runs good, with the PC just having sharper graphics. Overall great game from ID. Just remember its a shooter not a RPG and its the best shooter and looker so far.
  66. Oct 24, 2011
    A solid but ultimately disappointing shooter. Graphics look amazing when stood still or in wide open areas but as soon as you get close to things you can't help but be distracted by texture pop up. Exploration is mostly pointless as there is probably less than 1% items found in fallout. Story is very weak. If you could take the graphics ( without pop up), vehicles and guns from this andA solid but ultimately disappointing shooter. Graphics look amazing when stood still or in wide open areas but as soon as you get close to things you can't help but be distracted by texture pop up. Exploration is mostly pointless as there is probably less than 1% items found in fallout. Story is very weak. If you could take the graphics ( without pop up), vehicles and guns from this and combine with everything else from fallout you would have the game of the decade. After 1 playthrough approx 15 hours there is absolutely no reason to ever pick this up again. Expand
  67. Oct 25, 2011
    decent game.... at first Iwas disappointed because I was expecting an open world game, with a shooter pace! Well I didnt get that. Its pretty linear and despite looking "Fallout-ish" it defintately isnt. That being said, its still pretty fun. The driving is fun and the audio is really good. They do a great job of keeping you on the edge of your seat. Especially n the dead city. All indecent game.... at first Iwas disappointed because I was expecting an open world game, with a shooter pace! Well I didnt get that. Its pretty linear and despite looking "Fallout-ish" it defintately isnt. That being said, its still pretty fun. The driving is fun and the audio is really good. They do a great job of keeping you on the edge of your seat. Especially n the dead city. All in all its a good game. Dont expect fallout, and dont expect DOOM.... just take it for what it is, and enjoy, Expand
  68. Oct 28, 2011
    First off, this is NOT an RPG, so for all those who think you're getting Fallout V2.0, think again. Frankly I have to wonder if you've ever played an id game before. I will make it very simple, instead of a cut scene to get you to the next level you have to go talk to someone in town, then drive to the location, finish the level then drive back to town to get another mission... a lot likeFirst off, this is NOT an RPG, so for all those who think you're getting Fallout V2.0, think again. Frankly I have to wonder if you've ever played an id game before. I will make it very simple, instead of a cut scene to get you to the next level you have to go talk to someone in town, then drive to the location, finish the level then drive back to town to get another mission... a lot like how Borderlands works, and other then the setting and the fact you can drive that's where the Borderlands similarities end... this isn't Borderlands V2.0. This is an FPS hybrid, in that in between missions you can go shopping to stock up, play some mini games and do some racing. As to the NPCs and towns, there isn't much of a story, just enough to send you on your way to the next level. But what there is, is done very well, the voice acting is well done, the NPC animations are top notch and there is real nice attention to detail, like NPCs wont talk to you unless they are actually looking at you and will just stop talking if you walk away during a conversation. Also the towns NPCs, and atmosphere, change based on where you are in the story.

You've seen all the complaining about the texturepop, and it is if you 'focus' on it, very noticeable. But this is a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. This is without a doubt the most visually beautiful and immersive FPS environment ever to grace the PS3, add to that great sound effects and the levels in this game are the most alive and detailed I've ever seen... One particular moment that I remember is standing in a sewer level, water is leaking out pipe joints, steams blowing out of other pipes there's a low mist on the water, electrical shorts going off and sound effects flooding my room, you have seehear it to believe it. At its heart this is a pure FPS, and that element's near perfect, from the enemy AI, enemy animations, levels and the weapons. The driving part of the game is, well, awesome and lame. The driving itself is perfect, the gadgets are great and blowing up vehicles in the wasteland is a blast... unfortunately the races are too easy and the wasteland itself (semi-open world between mission levels) is, other then the few groups of vehicles you run into, a ghostland, and other then, the sewers and some plants there's no reason whatsoever to explore and no threat to exploring. This is one of three places I think id really dropped the ball, the others being the ending and the fact the game is way too easy. The good
    -GFX, best graphics ever seen for an FPS on the PS3.
    -Sound, brings the world alive like no other.
    -Enemy AI, I dare say the best I've ever seen in a FPS.
    -Enemy Animations, again the best seen in a FPS, and a huge variety.
    -Weapons, sound and feel perfect, not realistic, over the top done just right.
    -Vehicles, handle well and have good weapons and gadgets.

The Bad
    -Wasteland, other then vehicles is vacant... K there's the towers, seriously though they are lame, a bunch of random dudes running around would have been so much better... Deathrace a la Rage!
    -Game is, with very few exceptions, WAY too easy, seriously, nightmare = normal... too many empty areas, populate those and beef up the numbers in the levels and this game would have been GOTY.
    -The ending is utterly lame, got to be one of the worst in gaming history, feels like you're just about to get into a serious fight but nope that was it, game over.
  69. Nov 4, 2011
    Not perfect but great fun. FPS gameplay is frenetic and different ammo choices really cool. Pity the enemy AI is pretty non-existent making the game far to easy and strategy rather formulaic, but in the heat of battle with mutants coming from all angles it excels.
  70. Nov 10, 2011
    I liked Rage. It wasn't what I was fearing - which was Borderlands vs. Brink (HATED both of them). Rage actually piqued my interest with the title, the concept and the actual game's intrigue at the onset. The story does fall apart, quickly. There aren't enough reminders that you are from the past and don't really know the world you are in. Things do get interesting mid-way withI liked Rage. It wasn't what I was fearing - which was Borderlands vs. Brink (HATED both of them). Rage actually piqued my interest with the title, the concept and the actual game's intrigue at the onset. The story does fall apart, quickly. There aren't enough reminders that you are from the past and don't really know the world you are in. Things do get interesting mid-way with the build up's realization of the antagonistic entity. I was infuriated by the unbelievably difficult (to me anyway) last couple of levels .... Killing me repeatedly to keep me in the game a few extra minutes, fine. BUT blasting my head off the second I reenter 100+ times is a little ridiculous.

I'm not even going to discuss the ending, because its just too painful. Multiplayer is fun and addictive, at first, tires quickly. and has little at all to do with the game. i like racing games, but the tie in here was a little awkward (so is the spelling of that word ... ever notice?).
  71. Dec 15, 2011
    Bland, boring fetch quests, terrible ending ( Probably one of the worst ive seen in my years of gaming) Devs with no class blaming hardware and drivers, Carmack should stick to rockets, because gaming isnt his thing. This game sucks
  72. Nov 10, 2011
    Has SO much potential, but texture popping ruins everything beautiful about the game, and in this day and age it's unacceptable to have a game just walking from person to person telling you what to do, it get's very boring. Worth a play when it drops in price, just cannot wait for Doom 4.
  73. Nov 15, 2011
    One of the best FPSes I have played of late let down by its lack of Coop and multiplayer modes. Controls and graphics (ther than the glitch on textures), few can beat this.
  74. Nov 24, 2011
    5.7 that is waay to low of a score than what the game actually deserves, its by no means a classic from id but its still a damn good game and i don't regret buying it. The graphics are amazing for a 5 year old machine, the guns feel really good and sound good and the driving is actually very well done. The only problem i had with this game is that it did get a little repetitive towards5.7 that is waay to low of a score than what the game actually deserves, its by no means a classic from id but its still a damn good game and i don't regret buying it. The graphics are amazing for a 5 year old machine, the guns feel really good and sound good and the driving is actually very well done. The only problem i had with this game is that it did get a little repetitive towards the end but that doesn't last to long, i thoroughly enjoyed it, just because people had high expectations and it didn't meet them doesn't mean you should bash this game, i recommend this game to everyone especially fps fans it really is a great game. Expand
  75. Nov 20, 2011
    Rage is a very fun game. The graphics are really good, the guns all feel really well, and the enemy A.I is great. So why the low score? While this game is very fun while in combat outside of that it is very boring. The story is also very bland and just involves a bunch of go here talk to this person, then go kill bandits or mutants then come back. If they had fleshed out the story more toRage is a very fun game. The graphics are really good, the guns all feel really well, and the enemy A.I is great. So why the low score? While this game is very fun while in combat outside of that it is very boring. The story is also very bland and just involves a bunch of go here talk to this person, then go kill bandits or mutants then come back. If they had fleshed out the story more to make you want to keep playing this could have been the game of the year. Also the car combat and multiplayer are ok, but they feel out of place. Expand
  76. Jan 10, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game! It was solid enough in it's FPS core mechanics for me to play through it (albeit in a short time, maybe 9-10 hours in which I did pretty much all the side "jobs"), but dammit, the rest just sucked. The driving parts were boring and repetitive. The graphics are good but try looking at something up close and it feels like it's back to Doom days. But mostI really wanted to like this game! It was solid enough in it's FPS core mechanics for me to play through it (albeit in a short time, maybe 9-10 hours in which I did pretty much all the side "jobs"), but dammit, the rest just sucked. The driving parts were boring and repetitive. The graphics are good but try looking at something up close and it feels like it's back to Doom days. But most disappointing is the fact that the plot and the bad guys, which shows glimpses of possibly being interesting at the start, just disappears at the end like it was totally forgotten. I'd say wait till this hits the bargain bin at Expand
  77. Mar 6, 2012
    The game is pretty fun, but it is a cookie cutter game. I bought the game brand new for 20 bucks and I do not regret it, however, the game itself is boring to an extent. It is not like Borderlands where you can explore the game insanely and know every single side of the world, you really can only go in a straight line and the storyline is rather linear because you really do not have anyThe game is pretty fun, but it is a cookie cutter game. I bought the game brand new for 20 bucks and I do not regret it, however, the game itself is boring to an extent. It is not like Borderlands where you can explore the game insanely and know every single side of the world, you really can only go in a straight line and the storyline is rather linear because you really do not have any sort of control as to where you go. There is no, "let's go over here now," because the game has a set path already. A fun pick up if you're trying to kill time, but I would not sweat it if you did not want to fork out the bucks for it. The gameplay is fun, the graphics are fluid, sometimes the texture pop in pisses me off, but the only downside as noted before is the single road gameplay. Expand
  78. Apr 17, 2012
    Disappointing. Rage has been on peoples radars ever since the first trailer, it promised a stunning open world action RPG, with great visuals. What we got was an arcade racing game with shooter elements. Besides looting, buying and selling, there are no Role Playing elements in this game, you don't level up, you don't have tons of upgradable guns, the story is almost non existent andDisappointing. Rage has been on peoples radars ever since the first trailer, it promised a stunning open world action RPG, with great visuals. What we got was an arcade racing game with shooter elements. Besides looting, buying and selling, there are no Role Playing elements in this game, you don't level up, you don't have tons of upgradable guns, the story is almost non existent and boring fetch quest type with no decisions or memorable characters. The racing parts of this game feel completely alien to the shooting ones, it feels like a completely different game. I still can't believe how ID screwed up this game with poor gameplay and design decisions with such a great idea and style. The visuals look stunning...on a screenshot, a shooter, especially a 60 fps shooter is all about movement, and the visuals completely degenerate in that area. Textures load every time you turn, every goddamn time, leaving 80% of the game looking like a horrid PS2 title. So what are you left with once you notice the obvious shortcoming? A solid first person shooter with an out of place racing mechanic, not an RPG you hoped for. This is a rent. Expand
  79. Apr 9, 2012
    Sadly, RAGE is an unplayable game, because it causes horrendous headaches and eye pain within 10 minutes of gameplay.
    Do not waste your money on this torture.
  80. Apr 15, 2012
    Now normally I would have given Rage a good score. Good graphics, nice idea with changeable ammo types, a surprisingly enjoyable online multiplayer for the 30 minutes, mutant bash. Unfortunately there are quite a few problems. The AI is very predictable, the story I found fairly weak (especially the ending) and to finish it all off I played Borderlands before this. In fact I was discussingNow normally I would have given Rage a good score. Good graphics, nice idea with changeable ammo types, a surprisingly enjoyable online multiplayer for the 30 minutes, mutant bash. Unfortunately there are quite a few problems. The AI is very predictable, the story I found fairly weak (especially the ending) and to finish it all off I played Borderlands before this. In fact I was discussing with a friend who had recently bought this game and all the things he thought were good in this game were the same as Borderlands: Shotguns firing rockets, the buggies, the environment. Even the enemies are quite similar just with less variation. Another downside was the co-op. I initially thought it would, again, be similar to Borderlands with the entire world to explore and things like arenas in which you can test each others skill and weapons. But no. Instead the creators decided it would be a good idea to get COD: MW2 spec ops missions and put them together with less interesting plots and much harder to kill enemies. Finally we get to the crafting and all I can say is Dead Rising with less skill and more luck. My overall viewpoint on Rage is that it is some of the best features of multiple games, patched together well, but then made much worse. Lucky I bought it for only £10. Expand
  81. Jun 9, 2012
    It's a good thing that the main storyline is so short, otherwise the game wouldn't hold much interest for very long. As it is, a solid shooter that portends good things if they can combine Id's amazing shooter engine with Bethesda's top-notch storytelling.
  82. Jan 18, 2013
    Rage recently entered the $20 (AUD) bargain bin making this one of the best value game purchases available.. Rage is a great first person shooter, that takes elements from all over the place, it isn't quite sure what it wants to be, but does a pretty good job of being a jack of all trades game..
    It looks good, it sounds good, and it plays fantastically, the only reason for a rating below 7 for this game would be people approaching it with 2 high expectations, this a great game, and worth at least a single run through, and for how cheap it is, you won't regret it..
  83. May 17, 2013
    Rocket Rally... remove that garbage from the game and this game is an easy 10/10. Rocket Rally is this part of the game that requires no skill, just dumb luck and you will fail continuously while you rage at the game, hence the name of the game. What a shame, because this game woudl be completely bad-ass if not for that stupid feature that spoils the rest of the game. Rocket Rally is soRocket Rally... remove that garbage from the game and this game is an easy 10/10. Rocket Rally is this part of the game that requires no skill, just dumb luck and you will fail continuously while you rage at the game, hence the name of the game. What a shame, because this game woudl be completely bad-ass if not for that stupid feature that spoils the rest of the game. Rocket Rally is so bad, that the person or people responsible for implementing it into the game deserve to be send to prison for the stress they caused to players. Expand
  84. Jan 16, 2014
    Rage had a good intro and the set up was decent enough but it never gets better. The characters are forgettable, the story is even more so and you just don't care about what's going on. The gameplay and graphics were pretty topnotch though and the post-apocalyptic setting was gorgeous but you start to feel how linear it all really is. This was marketed as an open world experience and iRage had a good intro and the set up was decent enough but it never gets better. The characters are forgettable, the story is even more so and you just don't care about what's going on. The gameplay and graphics were pretty topnotch though and the post-apocalyptic setting was gorgeous but you start to feel how linear it all really is. This was marketed as an open world experience and i never got to feel that. Another disappointment was how the shooting segments are placed in corridors and it never gives you the chance to shoot enemies in the desert. You're mostly in your car the entire time you're outside but don't get me wrong the car gameplay is great and easily one of the best if not the best part of the game. And finally, to put the nail in the coffin on one of the worst stories ever, the ending was complete and utter **** Not to spoil anything for people who haven't played it but trust me when i say you're gonna be going "WTF?" when you realize you've just reached the ending. So to sum up, great gameplay, beautiful graphics, some good boss battles and amazing post-apocalyptic world mixed with a disappointing story, forgettable characters, little to no character customization, mediocre side quests and linear experience. 6/10 (I really wanna give it a lower score but gameplay-wise it was a lot of fun) Expand
  85. Jan 3, 2012
    Not a bad game at all. For me it is the perfect "in between" game. The game fits my needs. I like racing and I like FPS. So a combo between racing and shooting sounded really good to me.

I also bought this game because a lot of people claimed the graphics where the best of this generation. Well "a lot of people" didn't play Crysis 2 then.... Crysis 2 still has the best graphics this generation.

Overall Rage is solid game, shooting is solid and fun, racing is solid and fun, graphics are solid... Story however is absence... and your character is a mute.., which always is a negative in my opinion.
  86. Nov 5, 2011
    RAGE at first slightly disappointed me, the start is pretty mediocre, however getting past the first mission you'll unlock a gem of a game, producing some mindblowing moments here and there. Possibly the best part of this game is the online mode Road Rage, it somehow comes together to produce one of the most engaging online experiences I've had for some time. This is an ideal game to getRAGE at first slightly disappointed me, the start is pretty mediocre, however getting past the first mission you'll unlock a gem of a game, producing some mindblowing moments here and there. Possibly the best part of this game is the online mode Road Rage, it somehow comes together to produce one of the most engaging online experiences I've had for some time. This is an ideal game to get you hyped up for the pre-Christmas releases. Expand
  87. Sep 24, 2012
    I loved this game, unfortunately there wasn't much of it! I loved the mix of vehicles but I feel like the game could have made use of them better. The weapons were it's saving grace, loved the different kinds of ammo available. The characters were really neat, with a wide scope of personalities and behaviors. However, the game was just too short! It was disappointing when I realized that II loved this game, unfortunately there wasn't much of it! I loved the mix of vehicles but I feel like the game could have made use of them better. The weapons were it's saving grace, loved the different kinds of ammo available. The characters were really neat, with a wide scope of personalities and behaviors. However, the game was just too short! It was disappointing when I realized that I had beat the game....it just didn't feel like the end. The story didn't feel resolved to me. Oh well, good game anyway, but it had potential to be a lot more. 8/10 Expand
  88. Jul 24, 2012
    Excellent Graphics, Sound, Game play, Story and really fun Vehicle Combat. Only thing I wish they had more DLC as well Team Death Match online. Also a more customize options for the character would have been a plus; but still I enjoy purchasing upgrades at the outlets. These would have made my score a 10.
  89. Nov 9, 2011
    This is a fantastic game... the graphics are awesome... its tons of fun and the story is simple and interesting. It doesn't to put you into a world of amazing characters and a deep story line with absolute freedom in game play... but what I do promise is that you will be amazed by its awesome visuals fun gameplay and just downright pure entertainment.
  90. Mar 1, 2012
    I got RAGE for different reasons. I wanted a new and fresh FPS and i know how respected developer iD is and it was being published by Bethesda, the creators of some of my favorite games such as Skyrim and Fallout 3. In a way, RAGE does what both developers put on the table, it feels like a combination of an open world and a strong FPS. After that though, it falls flat on being a perfectI got RAGE for different reasons. I wanted a new and fresh FPS and i know how respected developer iD is and it was being published by Bethesda, the creators of some of my favorite games such as Skyrim and Fallout 3. In a way, RAGE does what both developers put on the table, it feels like a combination of an open world and a strong FPS. After that though, it falls flat on being a perfect game. Everyone agrees on one thing though, what it gets right. The game runs super smooth, the combat is near perfect, and the visuals are stunning. The enemy AI is some of the best iv ever seen, they react to your movements and when you shoot them they aren't bullet sponges, they will grab their arm or limp towards you without remorse or care that they are missing a limb. It feels great to play those moments and the visuals make it that much better, looking like one of the best games iv ever seen. The gun types are impressive and there is different types of ammo you can use, so in a way it feels like a combination of Fallout and Bioshock. After all the good things though, it shows its faults. This game must have ADD because you never stay with one idea or story line for very long. If you get bored with a town after a while, don't worry. You wont stay long and then never hear about it again. Did you like a certain character? Too bad, they were there just to get you to point B, then they have no more use. The story just goes everywhere but at the same time nowhere, so it there is no emotional tie to anything. There is also one gameplay aspect that frustrates me. This game is one of those games that NEEDS a good check point system, and this has a terrible one. To get a good challenge out of this game, playing it on hard is the best way to go, but dying will send you almost strait back to the beginning, and some of the areas aren't small. I dont want to keep having to save my game every 5 minutes just to make sure i don't go all the back to where i started. Sadly, its just something you have to deal with, for while this has faults, this game does make you want to keep going to see where you will go next. There are some great characters to see, and some landscapes that will make you picking your jaw off the ground, but you have to drag yourself though a story that tries much to hard to be interesting and a an open world that relies heavily on vehicles to get around, making everything feel smaller then it really is. But if you look past its problems, RAGE could be a fresh and beautiful FPS that might be the fix that you need from military based shooters. Expand
  91. Dec 14, 2011
    Rage is an interesting title to say the least, I'm generally not a fan of this Genre, but this looked different. After a slow start to the learning curve, it's not long before you dashing round on missions. The graphics are quite nice, with plenty of detail around the dusty ruins of the post apocalyptic landscape that's a decent size, what would of been nice is a better mapping system,Rage is an interesting title to say the least, I'm generally not a fan of this Genre, but this looked different. After a slow start to the learning curve, it's not long before you dashing round on missions. The graphics are quite nice, with plenty of detail around the dusty ruins of the post apocalyptic landscape that's a decent size, what would of been nice is a better mapping system, allowing you see see the scale, giving you the feel that your experiencing a world filled with adventure. It's an interesting story, and theirs a neat collection of weapons on show here too. The racing elements are barely exciting, as they seem all to easy, giving the feel sometimes of a gap filler, it's certainly no mad max espionage, but still nice to see the effort here.

Overall nice graphics, decent story, and a sizeable adventure, even though the missions feel more like errand running back and forth sometimes, their is no question that it's worth a purchase, it's simply a fallout fps, with a few niche ideas thrown in to break the usual tone. It's a noble attempt and one to be expanded upon.
  92. Oct 25, 2011
    I am here to pay my respect to ID Software, and because i am getting really tired of all those people whining and **** about ID's latest product. I do really feel bad for the Pc gamers when Rage was just released. But, i was thinking, (And this is pure speculation from my side, and not based on any facts.) that it was not completely ID's fault, that Rage had so many problems on PC, when itI am here to pay my respect to ID Software, and because i am getting really tired of all those people whining and **** about ID's latest product. I do really feel bad for the Pc gamers when Rage was just released. But, i was thinking, (And this is pure speculation from my side, and not based on any facts.) that it was not completely ID's fault, that Rage had so many problems on PC, when it came out, because if i am not mistaken ID has to listen to Bethesda nowadays, and they could have forced ID to release Rage in it's almost finished condition, but then again this is pure speculation from my side. I also dislike Pc gamers putting their experiences in the Ps3 section of Metacritic ! Please stick to your own page, because you give Ps3 gamers the wrong impression. I bought this game on Ps3, but my Pc could also handle this game, i simply choose the Ps3 version because i prefer gaming on my big screen, with my surround system, on my comfortable couch :). I always had a thing for ID's games, back since 1990 when i started playing the first Commander Keen, when i was 10 years old. After that i played a lot of Id's games, like the Commander Keen series, Wolfenstein 3D, Spear Of Destiny, Doom 1,2,3 and add ons, Herretic, Hexen, etc etc. I also played doom on many different systems, like the Sega 32x, but i also managed to get Doom 1 & 2 working on my Amiga 1200, unofficially that is :) ... using Adoom ;-). When i first started playing Rage on my Ps3, i was overwhelmed by the graphics and the stable frame rate, but also the sound, which sounds very "crispy" in DTS (Only a handful of games on Ps3 are DTS compatible, most are only Dolby Digital.) All the problems Rage has on Pc, are not to be found in the Ps3 version, except for some very light screen tearing from time to time, and the Texture pop in, which i do find a bit annoying, and i still hope this can be fixed. I am an easy gamer, i play games for the fun of playing, i do not need a lot of competition, and i do not need to prove myself to others when playing my favourite games. So i started playing Rage on easy, and was dropped in it's amazing world. The atmosphere, the vibe, and the things you notice when playing in a "relaxed" condition are simply amazing ! and truly remarkable !. From a gentle dust wind, to flies flying over rotting corpses :-) there's a lot of detail to be found in this game, if you take the time to notice it. When i first arrived at Wellspring, i was truly overwhelmed by the amount of detail, like when you walk in the alley where it's dripping with water, i like to stand still at those moments, and just listen to the sound when i move my camera to hear the dripping from the back to the front, and looking at the wonderful created environment. Honestly, at the beginning when i just arrived at Wellspring the first 10 minutes, i was just looking at buildings and people, thinking wow... this is amazing. The shooting is pretty old school, and from time to time pretty intense, but to me, that's a good thing. (I do would like a little bit of extra ammo though... hehe :-) ) The racing aspect has also been implemented wonderfully, and creates this extra dimension in Rage, as quite a racing fan, to me, this extra feature was a real treat. The car / buggy handling is very tight, and controls really well ! Because of the stable frame rate at 60fps, the driving is really smooth and therefore a true delight. To me everything in Rage works well, the wastelands are also truly amazing and the level design is superb. Even tough the multiplayer may not be al that, i really enjoyed the couple of matches i played so far, also because i seem te be pretty good at it. The multiplayer looks and feels a little bit like Hardware Online Arena on Ps2, it's really nice for an hour or something, and can be easily picked up at any time, it's quite good actually, but should have been a little bit better. All & all to me, Rage is a true masterpiece that just needs a little more polishing, Rage really has that ID vibe throughout the whole game which i like very much. I also would like te thank Id for the Wolfenstein & Doom easter egs hidden in the game ! (I found out by youtube) they really put a smile on my face ! Thank you once more Id for making the beautiful game ! I am really looking forward to Doom 4 :-). Expand
  93. Nov 22, 2011
    Very interesting combination of Fallout 3, Borderlands and your average shooter. But more on the shooter/action side. The addition of races makes it a curious (yet very functional) package. And BREATHTAKING scenery makes this a very beautiful game to look at. There's nothing here we haven't seen before: shooting mutants in the head; sidequesting for spare parts; sewers; wastelands;Very interesting combination of Fallout 3, Borderlands and your average shooter. But more on the shooter/action side. The addition of races makes it a curious (yet very functional) package. And BREATHTAKING scenery makes this a very beautiful game to look at. There's nothing here we haven't seen before: shooting mutants in the head; sidequesting for spare parts; sewers; wastelands; weapons; abandoned villages where survivors struggle; pseudo open world etc. Actually, my only complaint is the 8GB MANDATORY installation. I mean, c'mon, 8GB?? Apart from that, great game, lots of personality. I'm not a 1st person shooter enthusiast and I really liked this one. If you are even slightly curious about it it's worth a try. Expand
  94. Nov 8, 2011
    Rage is a strange game, I loved the setting and I found the combat a great deal of fun (no one does weapon empowerment quite like id), graphically it looks stunning - although the texture pop-in is extremely noticeable - however the lack of real story was a problem, I think the days of a silent protagonist are behind us. I want a fully formed character, with a history, not some facelessRage is a strange game, I loved the setting and I found the combat a great deal of fun (no one does weapon empowerment quite like id), graphically it looks stunning - although the texture pop-in is extremely noticeable - however the lack of real story was a problem, I think the days of a silent protagonist are behind us. I want a fully formed character, with a history, not some faceless nobody. The ending is something of a disapoinment too. I was hoping for more big boss battles. Although I will say it was a nice change of pace from the average shooter these days, and I really enjoyed the driving elements. It's not a classic by any means but it's solid. Nice to see that id still have something to offer. Expand
  95. Jan 7, 2012
    Great new IP from ID ! Manages to capture the intensity of a apocalyptic aftermath very well. Despite the technical flaws on console due to low RAM an intense fight out in the wasteland. Many people had issues with the ending, but overall it was very very thrilling to get there
  96. Nov 21, 2011
    Rage is a hybrid FPS-vehicular action game with a focus on single player campaign with some multi-player elements. Core mechanics and single-player: Rage is a fun game to play. It runs at a constant 60 FPS which lends itself to smoother. more responsive controls than some other console shooters. Rage is divided into 3 parts: shooting, driving around and racing in your car and talking withRage is a hybrid FPS-vehicular action game with a focus on single player campaign with some multi-player elements. Core mechanics and single-player: Rage is a fun game to play. It runs at a constant 60 FPS which lends itself to smoother. more responsive controls than some other console shooters. Rage is divided into 3 parts: shooting, driving around and racing in your car and talking with NPC characters which pushes along the fairly light plot line. Shooting feels great, as I said before. The guns are by-the-books style FPS weapons but each has a small twist thanks to a ammo system that allows you to find or build new ammo for your weapons. This ranges from turning your pistol into a magnum to turning the shotgun into a grenade launcher. There are also constructable devices and sentries/robots that are pretty fun to toss out in a firefight and watch that little drone tear up a bunch of mutants. Speaking of which Rage has some of the most diverse enemies I've seen in perhaps any FPS. Each enemies belongs to a different tribe, each with their own personality. Mutants are frantic rushers, Ghosts have a taste for the acrobatics and the Authority use more sophisticated squad tactics like assembling behind a shield-carrier. There's also some crazy (almost kinda racist) cavemen and engineer-types that deploy remote controlled bomb-cars after you, and will retreat intelligently (towards friends) from combat when outmatched. The car gameplay is a little more dicey. The physics can be bizarre, don't be surprised if you find yourself being flung around in ways you'd never expect. There also tends to be more harassment from bandits than there should be, it gets a little tiring. Driving does have a basic thrill to it, just jumping in your car and tearing hell across the wasteland provides a refreshing change of pace. The environments are diverse and utterly gorgeous. You hardly see the same texture twice, everything is distinct and wonderful to explore. The art direction here is almost second to none, even though the texture streaming can be a little annoying at times it doesn't hold this game back from being one of the most visually rewarding experiences around. The single player game is about 15 hours long, mine stretched closer to 20 but I did everything I could.
    Multi-player: This is where the game gets a little weak. There are two multi-player modes: co-op FPS and vehicular combat modes. The co-op FPS mode, or "wasteland legends" is kind of neat but generally not very much fun. It's a little laggy and doesn't feel like it was designed to be the focus of the game. It's just kinda dull, not that bad or anything. The vehicular mode is more fully-featured, with unlockable cars, weapons and items you can use. It all boils down to racing around and trying to take out other people while catching these glowing-point things that give you points. It can be pretty exciting, but it can also be pretty frustrating due to the bizarre car physics. And when I say bizarre, I mean it. These physics are whack. So if you go with Rage, go for the single-player. I'm sure you can find it in a bargain bin somewhere already. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys single-player shooters with a little Zelda and Mario Kart thrown in, but don't mistake this for another Borderlands, the two games are hardly anything alike.
  97. Mar 28, 2012
    Let me start out by saying rage is a great game that just went into the wrong direction from which it should of gone.First off this is a action/fps game, but with a huge world and racing and tons of gore*which I love*however I feel like Id soft meant Rage to be a fps/rpg like Borderlands in the beginning but took out the rpg elements for whatever reason they had and went withLet me start out by saying rage is a great game that just went into the wrong direction from which it should of gone.First off this is a action/fps game, but with a huge world and racing and tons of gore*which I love*however I feel like Id soft meant Rage to be a fps/rpg like Borderlands in the beginning but took out the rpg elements for whatever reason they had and went with fps/action/racing which works well, But I think rage would of been way better and gotten better reviews if id soft would of made rage a rpg/shooter instead,but non the less rage is a good game which everyone should try.and Id soft if you do decide to make a sequel to rage please use a rpg element like borderlands did and I promise you will strike a gold mine. Expand
  98. Oct 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is often given a lot of flak.

I also have my criticism:
    The world does not feel like a free-roam exploration world like it hints to be
    and there is nearly absolutely nothing to explore outside action-determined-areas.

Also, spoiler alert,

the ending was highly unsatisfactory!

But...
    Having said that,
    i will also say:

I absolutely LOVED playing this game!

The graphics are excellent.

Game-play is very fluid, very easy to play
    and difficulty is balanced throughout the game.

And
    the surroundings (in said action-determined-areas) are extremely immersive!

For the obvious pitfalls of the game, non the less:
    I think Rage is a greatly detailed, highly immersive, fun,shooter!
  99. Jan 3, 2012
    I wasn't particularly excited about Rage. But I bought it anyway, because I was aching to trade some games in, so I thought I'd give Rage a shot. And I am incredibly happy I did so. I'm not the biggest FPS fan and I do have 2 COD games and some Battlefield games but other than that first person shooters aren't my game of choice. But there is something about Rage... Rage is amazing and isI wasn't particularly excited about Rage. But I bought it anyway, because I was aching to trade some games in, so I thought I'd give Rage a shot. And I am incredibly happy I did so. I'm not the biggest FPS fan and I do have 2 COD games and some Battlefield games but other than that first person shooters aren't my game of choice. But there is something about Rage... Rage is amazing and is definitely the best FPS of 2011. It has incredible visuals, fantastic AI, great (but few) weapons, fantastic animation and a so-so story. It certainly isn't the best game I've played and does have a few problems, such as a bad save system, fairly boring story, and not very fun exploration and some texture pop in. But this game is simply not to be missed. It has some of the best FPS gameplay I have ever played and EVERY bullet that hits an enemy feels powerful because every bullet has an effect. Rage is a fantastic game and I strongly recommend it. Expand
  100. Feb 15, 2012
    This game has great graphic and awesome gun play it makes you feel as though every bullet does something. the problem with the game is its so linear there are barely any side quests the story isnt that good and the online is bad. the good news is that all the guns are cool with good ammo types a bunch of different factions citys and the way each faction works works differently to kill youThis game has great graphic and awesome gun play it makes you feel as though every bullet does something. the problem with the game is its so linear there are barely any side quests the story isnt that good and the online is bad. the good news is that all the guns are cool with good ammo types a bunch of different factions citys and the way each faction works works differently to kill you overall give this game a try its very fun Expand
  101. Oct 5, 2011

1. Ultimately, RAGE is soulless and short-lived. Jack up the difficulty for more of a challenge, but underneath a few stand-out moments is a shooter that's been outclassed and out gunned. [Dec 2011, p78]
  2. There is not a lot of leveling or depth to be found in Rage, but you can have some fun with building your own weapons and toying around with several gadgets. We particularly liked the remote controlled cars that can be equipped with explosives. [Nov 2011, p.82]
  3. Dec 1, 2011
    A weak, aimless story and limited freedom to explore betray the fun, varied and creative combat in this beautiful post-apocalyptic wasteland. [Christmas 2011, p.104]