Rampart PlayStation 3

3.6

1. F.M.
    Jun 3, 2007
    Rampart was apparently a great game in the Arcade. I also owned the SNES version, which was played religiously until we lent it out and never heard from it again. Somehow, 17 years later after 2 great games, they manage to screw it up entirely. The SNES game has more features. The PS3 game doesn't allow you to select the number of rounds, the map is a random choice of 2 (Do you want Rampart was apparently a great game in the Arcade. I also owned the SNES version, which was played religiously until we lent it out and never heard from it again. Somehow, 17 years later after 2 great games, they manage to screw it up entirely. The SNES game has more features. The PS3 game doesn't allow you to select the number of rounds, the map is a random choice of 2 (Do you want to play with boats? Well, maybe the game will let you! Oops, maybe not), the controls are quite shoddy, the game will randomly give you messages such as "Build walls around your castle" while you are... building walls around your castle. Which is annoying enough, but it also pauses the game for 5 seconds for both players while doing this. Some levels also have an uneven # of castles for some odd reason. Seems questionable in a game that would demand symmetry. After the building mode, the game inexplicably changes resolution, going from blocky to psuedo 3d ugly. Then back to blocky. I'm not sure if that was an attempt at a graphics upgrade, but if so, it wasn't an upgrade. It even changes aiming, some walls appear thicker than they are, allowing your shots to miss. Taking a great game, which is easy to love 2 or 3 player, and destroying it is surely a great use of an online network. Some people may be able to get over all the faults I've listed, I just can't. Expand
  2. NickW.
    Jul 13, 2007
    This game is possiably the worst game ive ever played, definitly the worst on the psn store. The controls are slow and frustrating, and the gameplay is slow, unresponsive and very frustrating.
  3. H.V.T.
    Jan 16, 2009
    It gets 2 points just for being Rampart, one of the most beloved games from my childhood.
    But the controls are just awful- to the point where it's nigh unplayable. Rampart is all about being able to execute precise moves under pressure, so when the controls prevent you from being able to accurately put down your castle pieces in a timely manner, that's more than a problem, it's a fatal flaw.
    Hardcore Rampart fans will have to keep on looking for a worthy successor to the old SNES version, which remains the gold standard for Ramprt games.
    I can't in good conscience reccomend this game to anyone.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. It was an interesting mix of action back in its day, and it's still interesting today. Unfortunately, even the three-player online play can't make up for the PlayStation 3 version's terrible, touchy control.
    With its shoddy Sixaxis support, Sony Online's version of Rampart doesn't do much for the game's memory. Even with online versus play, Leaderboards, and support for resolutions all the way up to 1080p, the overall lack of control seals this classic's fate.
  3. While Gamestyle enjoyed the action far more than Joust or more than we actually expected originally, next time someone argues that games were better all those years ago, direct them towards Rampart and see that argument crumble far more quickly than the castle walls.