8.8

Generally favorable reviews- based on 2041 Ratings

1. Apr 8, 2015
    Can a video game be a work of art? This is a question I have pondered for years, being a gamer since the ps2 era, and I have finally come to the conclusion after playing this game. From the outstanding Midwestern setting, the amazing score (the final song still brings tears to my eyes), and the story of a man who wants nothing more than to leave his past life behind in favor of that of aCan a video game be a work of art? This is a question I have pondered for years, being a gamer since the ps2 era, and I have finally come to the conclusion after playing this game. From the outstanding Midwestern setting, the amazing score (the final song still brings tears to my eyes), and the story of a man who wants nothing more than to leave his past life behind in favor of that of a family man, is just incredible at any standard. This game is a journey that every gamer should experience, and is not only the best Rockstar game (yes, that includes GTA 5), but one of the greatest video games of all time. Expand
  2. Mar 27, 2015
    I think anything lower than a 9 is a troll review. The game is expansive, memorable, great gameplay, classic Rockstar GTA but in the Wild West. It is one of the 10 best games of last gen, and it was never ported to the PC. We all eagerly await Red Dead 2 and it would blow the doors off this gen!
  3. Mar 25, 2015
    The way that Rockstar presented the Red Dead Redemption story is rather, well, utterly meh, especially the pacing, completely disconnecting any sort of connection with the family that the game emphasisis so much upon. But that still doesn't take away from the fact of just how incredible the immersion and gameplay is. Especially the atmosphere. There is literally here, no better immersionThe way that Rockstar presented the Red Dead Redemption story is rather, well, utterly meh, especially the pacing, completely disconnecting any sort of connection with the family that the game emphasisis so much upon. But that still doesn't take away from the fact of just how incredible the immersion and gameplay is. Especially the atmosphere. There is literally here, no better immersion nor graphics in any other single game ever created. I am serious here. There is a beauty here unlike anything else in any game, and I just can't deny how just amazed I am of this. And despite the pacing and all being odd with the story, the acting is utterly superb and the presentation in terms of visuals is beyond anything I've ever seen. Expand
  4. Mar 22, 2015
    One of the rare games that deserves a 10. The wild west feels alive and rdr was one of the first open world games, where the world felt really alive. Gameplay mechanics fit perfectly and shooting in this game is just so good. Storywise it's also rarity especially from open world game. John Marston is charismatic lead and also my favorite character in gaming.
  5. Jan 30, 2015
    Red Dead Redemption
    Immersion Done Right
    This is how you make an open world game, with immersion in mind. Red Dead Redemption does a perfect..not nearly perfect, but a perfect job at pulling the player into it’s western world. Red Dead Redemption tells the story of John Marston a former western showdown gun slinging bad guy trying to redeem himself. He does so by repaying life debts
    Red Dead Redemption
    Immersion Done Right
    This is how you make an open world game, with immersion in mind.
    He does so by repaying life debts and hunting down a few old friends.
    But you are given freedom in the way you handle things outside of the games 13 hour main campaign.
    Outside of the story is where the beauty of this games immersion really starts to shine
    Its clear to me now why so many systems from this game have been added to series like assassins creed and also why it works here and not for them.
    Red Dead redemptions world is basically a giant desert, it’s pretty empty.. this can turn off a lot of players, It won’t and doesn’t surprise me at all to hear many find this game to be boring.. it can be, but isn’t really a run around and have fun kind of game…there are very few npcs roaming and inhabiting the world, but those that do all have a personality and a story to them.
    As you travel throughout the world on horseback you’ll run into strangers asking for your help, all which is optional.
    Some wanting help with getting a land deed, their wife, or are just in need of some materials that you can find organically in the open world.
    All of which you can deal with in your own way, you can pay someone off or just kill them and take what you’re there for.
    There is however an honor scale, you can get away with doing a few not so good things, but if you terrorize the world, the npcs will react to you in a bad manner.
    Adding to the oraganicness, You can also pick flowers, herbs, and hunt and skin animals.
    Hunting in Red Dead Redemption feels so right because the animals feel alive and real like all other npcs, they don’t feel like they are triggered or spawned into the world, they feel like they live there.
    Everything down to the mechanics screams immersion.
    The game asks for physical input in both running and controlling your horse.
    You have to pay attention to the game, you can’t just hold a button and go, It definitely takes time to get used to such a system of immersive mechanics, but once you do you will greatly appreciate it.
    Where the game does loose its spark at least for me is about 1/3 of the way through the main campaign. While the story really is great and the characters are brilliant, the mission design after the first 3rd of the game all plateaus.
    At first you are doing immersive tasks like hurdling cows in a bad storm, going out to catch a wild horse, really bringing the world to life, but later in the game it gets massively boring and repetitive..
    It turns into a lot of cover based follow the marker 3rd person shooter and ride shotgun while you take out the bandits following you over and over and over, luckily if you can manage to stick it out through this grindy section of the mexico part of the game, things start to pick up again for the final 3rd and missions will begin to feel varied just like before.
    But the annoying npcs that accompany you on many missions constantly rushing you and never shutting up about how slow you’re going doesn’t make the campaign any more enjoyable.
    But trust me, it’s worth it to make it to the end of this game.
    There’s also a free roam multiplayer where you can join other players in the same open world from the single player game to take over gang hideout and earn some cash, unfortunately multiplayer these days is pretty nonexistent, so don’t expect to get too much out if unless you have dedicated friends to play with.
    Red Dead Redemption is a beautiful and immersive game.
    I found it to be relaxing, boring and grindy at times, but Escapism at its finest.

For what it is
    Action Adventure 9 /10
    Overall 9/10
  6. Jan 29, 2015
    One of the greatest games I have ever played.My first video game I have ever played was Lego Star Wars on PlayStation 2 so I am pretty young and I am not some veteran in video games but this game is amazing and In the past few years I am all about gaming but this game...I had to buy PlayStation 3 just because of this game.AMAZING!
  7. Jan 28, 2015
    Like this 1 better than gta (not that there is anything wrong with gta well, besides lack of challenge and mechanics.) like the story better, like characters better, like setting better. This is the king of this type of game so far.
  8. Jan 26, 2015
    I was just recently told by a friend that I should play this game because I'm really into gta and I love open world games. I just never found the time to play this one and man was that a huge mistake!!! This is definitely my favorite game of last gen along with The Last of Us. First of all the story is amazing!!!! I loved John Marston and the supporting characters. Edgar Ross is also oneI was just recently told by a friend that I should play this game because I'm really into gta and I love open world games. I just never found the time to play this one and man was that a huge mistake!!! This is definitely my favorite game of last gen along with The Last of Us. First of all the story is amazing!!!! I loved John Marston and the supporting characters. Edgar Ross is also one of the most despicable characters I've ever seen in a game. The gunplay is perfect, the environment is perfect everything about this game is perfect!!! You're making a big mistake if you do not play this game!! Don't listen to the idiots giving this game a 1/10 Expand
  9. Jan 15, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rockstar you did it again! RDR is awesome!

First of all the graphics look sensational in this game. the character animation and the animations of the animal movements were almost lifelike. Great soundtrack, rememberable dialogues. There are so many great things about this game.

The story takes place in the WIld West. You are a bounty hunter named John Marston. You must find your formed brothers in arms and caprture of kill them. You meet many interesting and weird characters. Like a simple rancher or a creapy grave-rading, treasure-huntin, coot. The missions were varied and the element that were introduced in most of them make for some rememberable moments.
    The gunplay is engaging and fun. You even get to slow down time with the Dead Eye triger. which allows you to mark specific spots on your targets and blast your way through areas a normal man wouldnt dare to go.

Overall RDR is one of the best videogames I have ever played, and I would recoment it to any gamer out there. A real jewel in gaming. Great, story, characters, combat, grapchis, landscapes, sidemisions and activities, and even a fun miltiplayer. This is a game you dont want to miss out.
  10. Dec 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is awesome. And the people who give it a 0 or 1 are just ether saying there opinion or just being very hard on this master piece. It my feel empty when John is killed in a heroic sad ending with the government bags that threaten and heras him. And jack ( johns son) is not that great and likeable as john. So the game has a great story that my repeat some stuff but is a joy to follow till the end. Expand
  11. Nov 29, 2014
    I love this game. Period. It is more than just wild west gta. Its the best western game yet. Online and off. dffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
  12. Sep 13, 2014
    Excelente historia, ambientação, imersão, jogabilidade. UM dos melhores de sua geração! A rockstar conseguiu mais uma vez se superar. Com toda certeza uma continuação é mais do que bem vinda.
  13. Sep 12, 2014
    My favorite game on PS3, excellent story, solid gameplay, great music and environments, lots of fun, main quest and side quests are great, and finally we don't see that many games taking action during this period of time so I felt like it was a refreshing experience, Rockstar at his best, even better than most GTAs in my opinion.
  14. Jul 17, 2014
    Not a GTA fan, but this game is simply one of the richest and most rewarding video game experiences out there. The next best thing to a time machine. A masterpiece.
  15. Jul 15, 2014
    I think it takes a certain personality to play this game - one with a Slow Pace. If you are looking to ride around doing odd jobs, occasionally getting back to your main objective - all the while enjoying the countryside (graphics), small talk and soundtrack....then this game is for you. Otherwise, hang-up yer spurs and call it a day cow-friend!
  16. Jun 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved this game. The environments and graphics took my breath away and riding through the wild west on your horse is one of those video gaming moments that I'll never forget. Couple this with a great story and main character and you've got yourself a wonderful, wonderful game. Cut short from being a masterpiece by the slightly sluggish feeling combat and the fact you're dumped with a character you hardly even know at the end of the game. This pretty much ruined my incentive to 100% the game once I'd completed the main story. Nevertheless this is an amazing game. Expand
  17. Jun 20, 2014
    Look up how bad the working conditions were/are at Rockstar San Diego, it makes this game all that much more amazing, seriously look up Rockstar San Diego, employies ranked it 1.4 stars out of 5 on glassdoor, like shocking. As for the game, easily one of the greatest games ever made, an open world western, whats not to love? Nothing but positive things to say about this game, I tend toLook up how bad the working conditions were/are at Rockstar San Diego, it makes this game all that much more amazing, seriously look up Rockstar San Diego, employies ranked it 1.4 stars out of 5 on glassdoor, like shocking. As for the game, easily one of the greatest games ever made, an open world western, whats not to love? Nothing but positive things to say about this game, I tend to judge a game based on if I feel justified paying the full 60 bucks, well i'd pay 100 for Red Dead Redemption. Expand
  18. May 18, 2014
    This game is what gaming is all about. It got a really good story and loveable characters that only a few other games can match. The world is diverse and bubbles with life to make the experience feel genuine. The visuals are still good today - four years after release. The online is also decent, but does not reach the standards of the singleplayer, and it is unfortunately almost deadThis game is what gaming is all about. It got a really good story and loveable characters that only a few other games can match. The world is diverse and bubbles with life to make the experience feel genuine. The visuals are still good today - four years after release. The online is also decent, but does not reach the standards of the singleplayer, and it is unfortunately almost dead today.In my oppinion this is the best game of the 7th generation of consoles. This is definitely an absolute masterpiece. Expand
  19. Apr 27, 2014
    This game is one of the best i've ever played. It looks beautiful and the story is fun.
    Only problem is that it crashed twice. Also the end is one of the most unforgettable i've ever seen.
    Every one should play this game.
  20. Apr 5, 2014
    Story: 9.5 out of 10 Graphics: 9.5 out of 10 Gameplay: 9 out of 10 Fun: 9 out of 10 Controls: 9.5 out of 10
    Multiplayer: 8.5
    Ease to Learn: 9.5 out of 10
    Length: 9 out of 10
    Re-play: 8.5 out of 10
    Audio: 10 out of 10
    Bugs/Glitches: none
  21. Apr 1, 2014
    Good Game.. Great story, charismatic main character, voice acting, the ending was great and fantastic old west world (especially Mexico)..The only thing that kinda sucked was that some of the main story missions were very boring but besides that the game is fantastic.. The mini games are addicitve and well made (poker, liars dice etc..) ..If you are a fan of GTA series, then buy, if not,Good Game.. Great story, charismatic main character, voice acting, the ending was great and fantastic old west world (especially Mexico)..The only thing that kinda sucked was that some of the main story missions were very boring but besides that the game is fantastic.. The mini games are addicitve and well made (poker, liars dice etc..) ..If you are a fan of GTA series, then buy, if not, buy it anyway Expand
  22. Mar 19, 2014
    Played this game right after it came out. A little buggy, but still makes anything Naughty Dog or Irrational Games made look like amateur hour, The Last of Us included.
  23. Mar 7, 2014
    Open world western at it's best. RDR captures the feeling of living as a cowboy perfectly, from herding cows, to shooting bandits, riding horses, playing cards in saloons. These mini-games are especially nice touch as you can spend hours and hours having fun playing dice, poker, blackjack... From the single-player standpoint it's almost perfect, good story, characters, immersiveOpen world western at it's best. RDR captures the feeling of living as a cowboy perfectly, from herding cows, to shooting bandits, riding horses, playing cards in saloons. These mini-games are especially nice touch as you can spend hours and hours having fun playing dice, poker, blackjack... From the single-player standpoint it's almost perfect, good story, characters, immersive environment full of varied natural life, lots of different animal species, some missions might be a bit repetitive in a style of go there, shoot everyone, get back, but it keeps your attention and entertainment quite high all the way through and I loved the ending. My main complaint is a completely broken and annoying multiplayer, but as long as you keep it SP, it's an amazing western experience. 9/10 Expand
  24. Feb 19, 2014
    Rockstars Best game yet incredible World and a fascinating story.
    I am not a Big fan of most of thèrese open World games but this is really a game everything western fans hold play.
  25. Feb 18, 2014
    OMG! This game (2. TLOU and 3.GTA V) is the best game I had ever played. Big, beautiful world, great story, won and one of the best main character ever. Thank you Rockstar.
  26. Jan 20, 2014
    Great game that is all i have to say with great graphics, amazing atmosphere and open world so why i only give it a 7/10 you may ask? Well, i found that the begining missions with bonnie and the late missions with johns family were realy dull and got me realy bored but the rest were all exciting and fantastic and i would have enjoyed the ending a bit more if my stupid friends didnt spoilGreat game that is all i have to say with great graphics, amazing atmosphere and open world so why i only give it a 7/10 you may ask? Well, i found that the begining missions with bonnie and the late missions with johns family were realy dull and got me realy bored but the rest were all exciting and fantastic and i would have enjoyed the ending a bit more if my stupid friends didnt spoil it for me but i still realy enjoyed the single player to the point of actually getting 100%. Now the multiplayer was realy fun even when you are playing alone. I mean there is just so much that you can do that it is realy addicting but sadly the community is realy little nowadays and there are loads of hackers that steal your fun. If it wasnt for the online comunity this game would be an easy 10/10 especially with undead nightmare but if just want to beat the campaign then WTF are you doing. Expand
  27. Jan 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the only game I would consider perfect. Out of all the games I'v ever played, this is the best by a country mile.

First off, the change in direction was an absolutely brilliant move by Rockstar. I wasn't a big fan of GTA IV, so a breath of fresh air was definitely good. The new setting of The Wild West is fantastic, expansive and full of random events and things to discover. Hunting, Marksmanship and Treasure Hunting are just some of the things to do in this amazing world.

The graphics are superb. There are sometimes a few bugs, but otherwise they're flawless. Sunrise and Sunset look amazing, and the water graphics are also superb. The movement and appearance of humans and animals is great, especially horses. I'm still looking for a game that has better horse graphical animations than Red Dead Redemption.

The music is also flawless. Just look up the soundtrack if you don't believe me. It consists of your standard Wild West Saloon music to your licensed tracks, like the one as you enter Mexico. It's an unforgettable soundtrack and it adds to the game immensely.

The controls are spot on, and the introduction of Dead Eye is a welcome addition, especially when taking down animals or large groups of enemies. The weapon selection wheel is great for changing weapons or equipment quickly, and seeing how much ammunition you have for each gun before entering a fight. The controls are also great, as they add a new feel to the horses and how they're stamina is affected by galloping for long periods of time.

Storywise, this is my favourite game ever. Red Dead Redemption tells the story of John Marston, a former gang member, and how he is forced by Federal agents to take up his guns and hunt the men he once rode with in order to save his family. His journey takes him from ranches to the outback of Mexico, where he becomes a crucial figure in the Mexican Revolution. The addition of character with conscience in a Rockstar game is a welcome change, as it provides much more variety than your average mass-murdering sociopath offered by Grand Theft Auto. The game still allows you to go on murderous rampages, bu the new Honour system may discourage you as it decreases as you commit crimes and kill people, and it starts to affect how NPCs view you. Similar to this is Fame, which increases as you play through the story and perform big actions that affect the world. These two features are great as they add a sense of progression throughout the story as you become more notorious and well-known throughout The Wild West. The end of the game is an emotional one, and it will leave you questioning who's side you're on, before the Federal Agents finally betray John Marston and kill him. You are then allowed to play as John's son, Jack, and have the option of hunting John's killer and duelling him in a standoff for an alternative ending to the game. This addition is fantastic as it means the game doesn't end on a sad note, and it allows you to find redemption for Jack Marston.

Overall I cannot recommend this game more. If it isn't a PS3 Essential/Platinum title, it should be. It earns it's title as my favourite game ever, and I'm sure it will make an impression on you to. If you don't own this game; grab it before you're sucked into another story-driven game on Next-Gen.
  28. Dec 31, 2013
    I'll start with the things you (like me) probably won't like. There's a lot of repetition, the animation sequences for picking up ammo, flowers and skinning animals will grind, especially since you might be doing it as many as ten times in a row. The constant tapping of X to run and to drive the horse will at first be irritating, though you will get used to it so as you don't noticeI'll start with the things you (like me) probably won't like. There's a lot of repetition, the animation sequences for picking up ammo, flowers and skinning animals will grind, especially since you might be doing it as many as ten times in a row. The constant tapping of X to run and to drive the horse will at first be irritating, though you will get used to it so as you don't notice you're even doing it. You will get tired of being poor and of being told there are new items at the gun store only to find it's just ammo you got from corpses anyhow. You probably won't really start to enjoy the game until quite far in actually. There isn't a lot to do in the world besides hunt so you better learn to enjoy the slow pace and atmosphere of the game, something it really does well I think. I'm sure so far this is putting you off the game, but hold your horses and read on.

Tips: When you're on a cart with some other character don't skip it, those conversations really help build the story, which isn't delivered in an in-your-face sort of way.

This game felt to me like one of those books that you force yourself to read, all the while wondering why you're bothering yet stubbornly you push on with that 'I've started so I'll finish' mentality and by the time you finish it you sit in stunned silence realising that this book is the greatest book you've ever read. In a similar fashion I had to wait a couple of days before I could bring myself to play another game, I had to have time to process it all. It was more than just a game, it was an experience!

As for Undead Nightmare there's only a couple of problems: The button press icon to pick ammo up from corpses doesn't show up reliably. There could be more story cut-scenes. Since it's basically just fun DLC though it's amazingly full featured. The need to conserve ammo and actually run away from the undead coupled with the fact that even when you're armed to the teeth later on you can still die surprisingly easily will keep you on your toes, which is exactly what you want in a zombie game. Undead Nightmare does a surprisingly good job of capturing that survival horror feeling from the early Resident Evil games, and the setting is a nice change for a zombie game!
  29. Dec 20, 2013
    Unforgettable experience. Only 2 games last gen give me deep empathy. RDR is one of. This is not only a game but also a fantastic cultural journey in american west appearing to be barren but hiding endless charm.
    In addition, RDR recalls me Ocarina of Time so how in gameplay and atmosphere.
  30. Dec 7, 2013
    Rockstar nailed the look and feel of this game. There's great visual fidelity, and some of the best sound design a game has ever had. There is a mission where you go with a character named irish to mexico, and the ending that leaves you riding through mexico at sunrise with a great song will give you goosebumps. The story is excellent, and has plenty of wacky characters for you to meet, myRockstar nailed the look and feel of this game. There's great visual fidelity, and some of the best sound design a game has ever had. There is a mission where you go with a character named irish to mexico, and the ending that leaves you riding through mexico at sunrise with a great song will give you goosebumps. The story is excellent, and has plenty of wacky characters for you to meet, my only gripe is that the story seems like the story keeps going on and on forever. The ending also left me feeling EXTREMELY underwhelmed. It felt like I had dumped 50 hours into the game, and had no idea why. The gameplay is across the board very good, with some standouts and some missed notes. Gunplay, horse controls, deuling, and hunting are excellent, along with the slo-mo dead eye shooting mode which allows you to tag multiple targets and helps you pull off impressive kills/get out of sticky situations. I don't like how whenever you skin an animal, you have to watch the same cutscene of John skinning the carcass again and again, which can get long if you're hunting bears or elk (there is a glitch which allows you to skip it if you park your horse over the animal and then skin it). RDR is one of the games of this generation hands down, and while you're at it, you can also play the excellent multiplayer and the phenomonal zombie apocalypse dlc undead nightmare. Fantastic overall Expand

1. The game perfectly captures the expansiveness of frontier life and the gritty gunplay of spaghetti westerns, rightfully earning its place alongside the great Western films and the best Rockstar games. [Issue#206, p.86]
  2. Rockstar's skill in creating a believable, functioning world with a distinct, coherent and consistent atmosphere is peerless. The broad-brush vision is masterful.
  3. Red Dead Redemption is a masterpiece. This game is the perfect example of how a developer should work to create the best atmosphere and to represent a beautiful historical situation. The graphics, the gameplay elements and everything else is at top level. Buy Red Dead Redemption, now!