• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 4, 2008
6.0

1. solf
    Jan 20, 2010
    decent story ok but carectors not so good .onlne ok but the co ops realygood except for one thing that its only 2 player offline which sucks because you need at least three players for a compleat team of a metic for healing asoldier for suppresing fier and shielding and a special opps for ammo
  2. RodgeM.
    Jan 29, 2010
    I love this game. The RPG part where you gain XP, level up and get improved abilities, weapons and armor adds to the game play. The campaign is fun, not least after a few runs so you know the maps and enemies. I've enjoyed every mode in the campaign several times, incl. superhuman. The co op is also fun, given the rest of the group know their jobs. The competitive is very fast paced I love this game. The RPG part where you gain XP, level up and get improved abilities, weapons and armor adds to the game play. The campaign is fun, not least after a few runs so you know the maps and enemies. I've enjoyed every mode in the campaign several times, incl. superhuman. The co op is also fun, given the rest of the group know their jobs. The competitive is very fast paced and "chaotic" but seems to offer a lot of fun. Haven't played much there yet. Collecting trophies adds lot of fun imho. I've met quite a few female players in the game, and the comp. mode offers female avatars/characters, but not the co op. Wish the co op would have more characters also, incl, female characters. Bottom line: R2 offers a lot of fun with hours and hours of FPS action, and you can meet some pretty nice people in co op. And, they sell for $30 used now. That's a LOT of fun for $30! Expand
  3. GeorgeM
    Nov 5, 2008
    Fans of Resistance can rejoice, the Playstatoin 3s "bigger, better, more badass" game has arrived. Resistance 2 does everything a sequel SHOULD do, give us more more more and all the time improving everything over the original. Resistance 1 was never meant to be a "groundbreaking" first person shooter, it was more than anything a balanced FPS with what would seem to be a focus on "COOL" Fans of Resistance can rejoice, the Playstatoin 3s "bigger, better, more badass" game has arrived. Resistance 2 does everything a sequel SHOULD do, give us more more more and all the time improving everything over the original. Resistance 1 was never meant to be a "groundbreaking" first person shooter, it was more than anything a balanced FPS with what would seem to be a focus on "COOL" when it comes to weapons and locales. Graphically Resistance 2 IS a definite upgrade, its just a bit inconsistent at times. Some levels look incredible sporting highly detailed textures and a scale and scope that dwarfs most shooters, there are some truly massive levels in this game and there is always alot going on in the background and foreground, at times however....textures can look blurry and out of focus and seeing these mixed with the "good" textures creates that inconsistency i was referring to, but its not a big deal and is only a minor issue....chances are you may not even notice. Gameplay is fairly straight forward, its basically a larger, prettier Resistance 1....which is fine because Resistance 1 was good fun, straight run-and-gun with switch hitting. Where the gameplay really shines is the single player AND co-op campaigns....both are different so you WILL have alot to keep you busy....and did i mention co-op is 8 players???...thats the cherry on top, sharing the battle with 7 others is VERY satisfying and i hope a great and many FPSs will follow in these footsteps in terms of "more than 2 players" for co-op and with multiplayer topping out at 60 players....prepare for WAR. Overall, Resistance 2 is a MUST for Playstation 3 owners and fans of shooters in general, it embodies just about everything that made Halo 3 a hit.....its just nicer looking and the enemies aren't as....CUTE. in a crowded season for games.....this one easily deserves your $60. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Expand
  4. TimT
    Nov 8, 2008
    Producers of the Resistance franchise had done their homework. Controls were less confusing, graphics were more dynamic, and the environment was much, much bigger. This game is worth $60 since it has 60 player online and 8 player co-op. Just one suggestion. The game would be better with a narrator tying the story together like in Resistance 1.
  5. Youcef
    Nov 9, 2008
    It's a great game, I really like the new weapons. I like how there is cooperative online with 8 players, I also played the 60 player games with no lag. The campaign seems to be pretty sweet as well but just does seem to be *amazing* because I like more realistic games such as COD4 but it's still worth getting and playing.
  6. ReeceA
    Dec 1, 2008
    I just completed the single player and i will say that i really enjoyed it. The story isnt perfect and Nathan Hale isnt the most likeable hero but i had alot of fun playing it. Its not reinventing anything here its a solid enjoyable FPS story and in the end thats only 1/3 of the whole Resistance 2 experience. Alot of people are mentioning the graphics but the game is solid it never ever I just completed the single player and i will say that i really enjoyed it. The story isnt perfect and Nathan Hale isnt the most likeable hero but i had alot of fun playing it. Its not reinventing anything here its a solid enjoyable FPS story and in the end thats only 1/3 of the whole Resistance 2 experience. Alot of people are mentioning the graphics but the game is solid it never ever jumped or skipped no matter how many guys were on the screen. Also iv never witnessed so many enemys running at me in a game it got pretty intense and the whole time it ran super smooth. Co-op and competative complements the game perfectly. With the 8 online co-op (it also supports splitscreen even online! which is a big plus for me) its the most fun i have had in a long time. With 3 classes to choose from in the Co-op (Soldier, Medic, Spec ops) you can always mix it up even during a game inbetween spawning. Also each class has a level system so the more you use one the more EXP you get and level up, which earns you new weapons and weapon upgrades. Its even fun just playing the same co-op level cause the objectives are random and ever changed so it never the same experience twice. It did take me a while to get use to it because the enemys are relentless and you need a medic cause there is no other way to gain health. Competative is a whole other beast 60 player online things can get unbelivably hectic. It also has EXP where you can level your character to unlock new equipment and beserks (they can act like a buff "reduce damage for set time" or send out a handfull of electric orbs that damage the oppisition) It puts you in teams of 5 and if your playing Skermish your squad gets given orders that consitantly mix up the gameplay. There is stanadard DM modes where everyone just runs wild but i really like the Skermish it keeps you on ur toes. To sum up overall i would say it really deserves a 8-9, The singleplayer on its on is worth about a 7 but when the awesome c0-op and competative is taken into account it is worth a 8-9. Expand
  7. DonaldAde
    Oct 25, 2008
    Playing the beta I think I have more insight then most. Resistance Fall of Man 2 (R2) is a follow up to the highly rated PS3 launch title "Resistance Fall of Man"(RFoM). Picking up immediately after its predecessor, you are the narrator and protagonist "Nathan Hale" and the battle with the invading Chimeran army has shifted from Europe to the home states. In the R2 beta, the main overhaulPlaying the beta I think I have more insight then most. Resistance Fall of Man 2 (R2) is a follow up to the highly rated PS3 launch title "Resistance Fall of Man"(RFoM). Picking up immediately after its predecessor, you are the narrator and protagonist "Nathan Hale" and the battle with the invading Chimeran army has shifted from Europe to the home states. In the R2 beta, the main overhaul of the RFoM multiplayer is the map design, 30v30 competitive mode (up from 20v20) and the all new 8 player cooperative mode. Competitive mode sports 4 modes:
    Deathmatch
    Team Deathmatch
    Core control
    and Skirmish

Of the 4 modes Skirmish is my favorite since it its a combination of modes with mini goals set throughout the match.

Co-op mode is a combination of MMORPG and FPS. Team play is a must. If everyone plays like an individual, the match would be over extremely quick.
    If the single player mode is half as good as the multiplayer mode R2 is an absolute must have.
  8. DavidRushing
    Oct 28, 2008
    This is the best game I've ever played. Actually, I've only played the beta unlike all the Xbox 360 children on here who insist on trying to bring down the scores of PS3 exclusives (before they even come out). So you should take my review with a grain of salt much like every other review on here because the game HASN'T EVEN COME OUT YET.
  9. AndreaDeV
    Oct 26, 2009
    Simply fantastic stor. Amazing multiplyaer. Very good graphics. Make this game a must have 4 all ps3 owners.
  10. DanteMignolet
    Feb 17, 2009
    How is it possible that this game only get a 5.6 user rating average? It's one of the best games on the PS3!! When i play it, it always feels a bit like i'm serving the army itself. Probably only people who didn't bought the game itself voted because they thougt it would be funny. Shame yourself!
  11. PeterW.
    Feb 1, 2009
    Resistance 2 is a wonderful game and will sever any gamer with hours of fun. That's all so the downfall the solo campaign is short and sweet. U do have the replay value of the harder settings but not that much. The mulitiplayer thoe is sweet with the madness of death matches to the co-op campange brilliant.
  12. Zooeyb
    Jan 23, 2010
    Overall it's a nice package, but the single player does drag on a little to much, and the ending is confusing. But the multiplayer is where the game is at, and the graphicsfor the single player were really good. Get it if you like shooting shit up !!!
  13. MichaelS.
    Nov 10, 2008
    Resistence: Fall of Man had it's problems, but Resistence 2 delivers on all fronts, whether it be epic scope, intense fire fights, gore, insane boss battles and engaging multiplayer (60 players). This is one of this generations finest FPS packages. Not to be missed.
  14. VittorioR.
    Nov 5, 2008
    First Resistance was top notch action game, when the first teaser came out I was in doubt that Insomniac would be able to replicate that in game.... boy was I wrong. The visuals are stunning, game play is perfectly paced. 60 Player online, and 8 player co-op make this game worth your $60.
  15. WilliamC
    Nov 5, 2008
    Who the heck is Variety and where is there official score? Oh they don't have one so Metacritic just makes one up. If a review doesn't put a score I think that says enough to not post them as a source.
    R2 is awesome and metacritic officially now blows!!!
  16. leatherface
    Nov 7, 2008
    what's not to like. 60 player online, eight player alternate story co-op and an awesome blockbuster single player story. don't listen to these guys that rate it low, they like bigger budget remakes of the first game, like 1.5 instead of a true sequel. please enjoy this game and i will see you online. happy hunting.
  17. Dec 12, 2010
    I don't understand what all the hate's for. I had a great time with this game. A HUGE improvement over the 1st one. Single player is great and the co op mode is alot of fun when you have a team that's working together well. Competitive online mode isn't the best out their but still managed to suck countless hours of play time from me.
  18. Oct 16, 2011
    This games single player and multiplayer are both okay, but nothing special. Pros: Epic scale in some sections of the game,good variety of weapons, variety of enemies and decent graphics. Cons: becomes repetitive quite frequently, the multiplayer modes are not very unique at all, the story is simply very weak and boring, the game is very easy and the most of the deaths are cheap whenThis games single player and multiplayer are both okay, but nothing special. Pros: Epic scale in some sections of the game,good variety of weapons, variety of enemies and decent graphics. Cons: becomes repetitive quite frequently, the multiplayer modes are not very unique at all, the story is simply very weak and boring, the game is very easy and the most of the deaths are cheap when objectives are unclear, the characters are boring etc. Overall a mediocre FPS. 6.0/10. Expand
  19. Sep 27, 2011
    pretty good game. very good multiplayer!
  20. Dec 19, 2010
    I recently decided to play through this after completing RFoM again, and I cannot understand the hate it is getting. Many complain about how the atmosphere has been "ruined" without the narrator and that some colour has been injected into the game. Personally, RFoM was too bleak in parts and it is not like R2 is trying to impersonate LittleBigPlanet with some of the lighting and colouringI recently decided to play through this after completing RFoM again, and I cannot understand the hate it is getting. Many complain about how the atmosphere has been "ruined" without the narrator and that some colour has been injected into the game. Personally, RFoM was too bleak in parts and it is not like R2 is trying to impersonate LittleBigPlanet with some of the lighting and colouring in it. Insomniac have added depth to the visual field - parts are still bleak but others now feel livelier, and it suits the game. (Not to mention the graphics are MUCH improved, -aside from the odd poor texture on trees and fires-anyone who argues the graphics in RFoM are better seriously needs their head examined) The narrator of the first game was used as it was recounting the story, in R2 it is not from a future perspective - and for me this works better for the events in the campaign, you should not criticize the game for something which makes such little difference and something the developers obviously thought suited one game and not the other. On the campaign, I believe the story is highly captivating, even if Hale is not the most charismatic lead. The enormous plot twists and some of the intricacies of the plot could have been better explained, but reading the intel that is scattered throughout the game certainly helps fill in most of the gaps. The sci-fi story of the Resistance series has me gripped, and I for one find it more interesting than the Michael Bay-inspired COD series. As for gameplay, while there may not be anything in the way of innovation, the experience is still highly enjoyable. Chimera are a tad easier to kill than in the previous instalment (to anyone who complains of being killed constantly; there is an "Easy" setting) and yes, the levels may be linear, but what good FPS can truly claim to be non-linear? For a developer such as Insomniac which prides itself on its story-telling, a degree of linearity has to be enforced. Those who complain about the industry standard health regen system being used in this are fools. If anything, that system is more suited to this franchise than ANY other game on the market, due to Hale's natural ability to heal himself. The health regen system is out of place in COD, yet no one complains? The controls in this game are much more intuitive than the original, R3 to aim down the sights was horrendously awkward and has been replaced by the much more comfortable L1, secondary fire has sensibly been moved to R2 and the addition of a sprint function (L2) was also welcome. A few gripes: as many have mentioned, boss battles, while spectacular, are rather formulaic, and the removal of the weapon wheel took out some of the strategy from the first game which I enjoyed so much. The single player experience is a lot better than some make it out to be, and requires a certain level of commitment and contextual understanding to enjoy, I feel. The lack of campaign co-op was obviously a big blow but that impact was lessened by the slew of online modes. I thought the multiplayer was the weakest part of the game, while enjoyable, something about the competitive mode just didn't feel intense enough, and the co-op online mode became fairly repetitive. Reducing the scale of the multiplayer slightly would help in future instalments. Overall R2 was a game I enjoyed greatly - I am hooked by the series' storyline and cannot wait to see its conclusion, and the scale of this game just blew me away. Both the single-player and multiplayer need some minor tweaks but otherwise this (and it's predecessor) are both must have games if you have a PS3. Expand
  21. Jun 17, 2012
    Resistance series is a bit different than today's popular FPS "format", it has an interesting old school feeling, especially if you are the kind of gamer that enjoyed older but great PC shooters. Don't get it if you expect a modern war or a realistic shooter, expect an intense sci-fi/horror/military game with great and interesting weapons and scenery. The downside of R2 is the fact you areResistance series is a bit different than today's popular FPS "format", it has an interesting old school feeling, especially if you are the kind of gamer that enjoyed older but great PC shooters. Don't get it if you expect a modern war or a realistic shooter, expect an intense sci-fi/horror/military game with great and interesting weapons and scenery. The downside of R2 is the fact you are not able to carry all the guns you got like you can in the first and the third games of the series and the inclusion of complete regenerative health system. It would be better in my opinion if health system and weapon inventory in R2 worked just like they work in R:FoM and the brilliant Resistance3.
    But anyway, Resistance 2 is great gaming experience for what it is, intense moments, great boss battles, huge scope and an interesting "old school" aura.
    Competitive multiplayer in this game can be fun and is much more intense and faster than most today's shooters. The cooperative gameplay with its leveling system and specific maps and bosses is a positive and unique addition, a bit different than it is expected from the genre but fun nonetheless.
  22. Nov 10, 2011
    My favourite game on the PS3! Its well presented with a strong and captivating storyline, one of the few games that sucks you in so much at you REALLY dont want to die, as if there are real implications if you do. Brilliant, loved it! not trading this one in ;)
  23. Mar 4, 2014
    Should u still give this a shot in 2014? If u haven't played already, u'll miss out on one of the finest FPS ever!

The story feels disconnected, the cut-scenes are crap and I really didn't care about the characters (Nathan Hale = having Drake's name and looks like Cole, but nowhere near likable as them). That is literally the Only complain about the game. Everything else is a blast!

Everything else is a blast! The variety is what impressed me the most. The game-play sections, guns (so cool!) and enemy types and boss fights which include Titans, Sharks, Zombies, Dinosaurs, Krakens and a goddamn Godzilla (they're just Chimeras, I'm just giving names! ). Both Ally and Enemy AI are superb with actual help from allies and the enemies using cover and flanking. Graphics considering it's from 2008 still stand out beautifully especially the environments.

On top of the mind-blowing campaign, is the enjoyable multiplayer with up to 64 players (yes, 64 on PS3 back in '08) which surprisingly is still active!

The game literally screams Epic right from the moment u pick up the box with one of the best cover arts I've seen! Another PS3 Exclusive that is pure quality! It's a shame that Insomniac Games is now working on an XBox One exclusive, but I still hope Resistance 4 will come on PS4!

Verdict : 9.5/10
  24. DerrickR
    Nov 1, 2009
    At the moment this game has a user score of 5.7, which I feel it does not deserve. The low score is due to the major changes from the first game. Basically everything is different, from the mood to the color palate (which I am not a fan of) to health regeneration and reduced weapon selection (also not a fan of). The first Resistance game had awesome single-player and decent online. This At the moment this game has a user score of 5.7, which I feel it does not deserve. The low score is due to the major changes from the first game. Basically everything is different, from the mood to the color palate (which I am not a fan of) to health regeneration and reduced weapon selection (also not a fan of). The first Resistance game had awesome single-player and decent online. This one has a decent campaign and fantastic online, with both co-op and competitive components. Therefore if you don't have a good internet connection then you will be disappointed. However, the online play is the best I have ever come across (I've logged more than 600 hours in it), and I actually enjoyed having to figure out the story instead of getting it handed to me. Hopefully in the third installment of this trilogy Insomniac returns the great campaign of the first game and fuses it with the awesome online of the second game. My actual score would be a 87. Expand
  25. Mar 6, 2012
    Amazing game! , I cant believe how some people gave this game such low scores! Its an AWESOME! game.. I recommend this game to every "REAL" gamer out there.
  26. AbsiGaddafi
    Nov 9, 2008
    there are some wierd comments here , the Multiplayer is great deep and big , you can play up to 60 player in the same time and without LAG , you have 8 player online co-op with a different campagin, the single player if great as well with great new locations and epic bosses fight
  27. JEFFD
    Jan 18, 2010
    How could you hate this game its one of the best games out there today and prefer it over MW2. I really enjoyed the first resistance and this one is way better. I cant wait for resistance 3 it will be the best ame of all time.
  28. Ian
    Nov 7, 2008
    The single player story isn't as epic as it was in the first one and to fans of the first game alot of the changes seem like somewhat a step backwards (only being able to carry 2 weapons, there being other survivors of the virus) however to casual shooter players I can imagine this being a friendlier way of doing things. Bottom line the multiplayer is amazing and can only be The single player story isn't as epic as it was in the first one and to fans of the first game alot of the changes seem like somewhat a step backwards (only being able to carry 2 weapons, there being other survivors of the virus) however to casual shooter players I can imagine this being a friendlier way of doing things. Bottom line the multiplayer is amazing and can only be described as a combination of Call of duty 4 and Halo 3 so even if it has lost some of its individuality it has definatly picked up some accessabillity in the competitive online section. The co-op online is an enitrly different beast that involves a class system that basicaly boils down to some sort of first person version of a wow instance where 8 players fend off hunderds of chimaren enemys while filling the roll of healer, tank and dps, it can be hecktec insain once you wrap your mind around it. The graphics seem lackluster and the story mode while long is not nearly as fulfilling as the first. Expand
  29. JohnM
    Jan 12, 2009
    Resistance 2 would, ironically, be a better game if it wasn't a Resistance title. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game to play, but the designers have made the horrible mistake of taking a series beyond where it was meant to go. The Chimera have gone from being Aliens to Cthulu, there's more Future-Tech than Star Wars, Star Trek and Starcraft combined, and the game Resistance 2 would, ironically, be a better game if it wasn't a Resistance title. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game to play, but the designers have made the horrible mistake of taking a series beyond where it was meant to go. The Chimera have gone from being Aliens to Cthulu, there's more Future-Tech than Star Wars, Star Trek and Starcraft combined, and the game loses much of its charm when the levels feel very familiar to Resistance 1; the English Countryside is gone, but the generic Chimeran Buildings have not. However, if you judge the game on its own merits, rather than comparing every last detail to its progenitor, you are left with a very good title. As lazy as it sounds, the best way to describe this game is "Halo done right". It has lifted a LOT from Halo, such as the health system and the "two weapon" limits (which Halo started). It feels like it is trying to outdo Halo at every turn. Sorry, Xbox Fanboys, but it DOES outdo Halo. Halo 3 in particular was horrendously over-hyped; Resistance 2 perhaps did not deliver as thoroughly as we'd have liked, but it did succeed. In summary; PROS: Beautiful graphics. Good storyline. (mostly) good weaponry. Simple controls. Absolutely god-like Multiplayer (up to 60 in a game, with no lag). CONS: Feels like it's ripping off Halo a bit too much. Difficulty still skyrockets randomly in places. The plot. Expand
  30. HofunNoodles
    Feb 1, 2009
    Although, admittedly, it is derivative in parts the weapon set and MP gain a lot of that lost ground back. Having played the best the 360 has to offer, this took a while before it really sunk its teeth into me, but it did and I especially enjoy the fun and varied online that insomicac have packaged into the whole. There's nothing else quite like it, even if parts of the campaign are Although, admittedly, it is derivative in parts the weapon set and MP gain a lot of that lost ground back. Having played the best the 360 has to offer, this took a while before it really sunk its teeth into me, but it did and I especially enjoy the fun and varied online that insomicac have packaged into the whole. There's nothing else quite like it, even if parts of the campaign are somewhat lacklustre. Expand
  31. DanM
    Oct 28, 2008
    I would give it 9.5 but not available. I'm in the Beta and have played online co-op and competitive, and offline co-op. This game is truly amazing, it is crazy with all that goes on with 60 player online battles or 8 player co-op. I'll be playing this almost non-stop as there is so much replayability in it. And I haven't even got into the single player yet!
  32. Korwyn
    Nov 10, 2008
    If anybody read the full review of this game on Variety website you will see the bias statement from them that they are favoring Microsoft. without their low review this game would have got a par score with Gears of War 2 no problem. It is a solid evidence that Microsoft pay them to do this. what a dirty way to do business. first they can't really make games on their own. then use If anybody read the full review of this game on Variety website you will see the bias statement from them that they are favoring Microsoft. without their low review this game would have got a par score with Gears of War 2 no problem. It is a solid evidence that Microsoft pay them to do this. what a dirty way to do business. first they can't really make games on their own. then use money to buy exclusivity then pay critics to give bad score to competitor's games. what else could they do next? pay critics to give their games good score? oh, maybe they HAVE already done it, who knows? Expand
  33. Oct 11, 2012
    It was okay, but it wasn't the first game, and just didn't grab me. I could leave it at that and given how long ago it came out I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about. The visuals don't look good, with varying levels of texture around the environment that make certain pieces look like they are out of place or not fully loaded. The guns felt the same as the first which was a plusIt was okay, but it wasn't the first game, and just didn't grab me. I could leave it at that and given how long ago it came out I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about. The visuals don't look good, with varying levels of texture around the environment that make certain pieces look like they are out of place or not fully loaded. The guns felt the same as the first which was a plus with some additions I believe (haven't played the first one since it came out. The gunplay was just as good as the first as well and I enjoyed how the style of combat is really defined by the guns. I know this is a stupid point but I really appreciated the option of a flashlight on the weapons as it accomplished two things: First it makes going through the dark places doable so I'm not squinting or adjusting brightness settings to get through the section, and second, it gives a horror feel to the game. The enemies felt more or less the same; the big guys were frustrating but what I would want in it. The story was really what fell short. I liked the first one and found it compelling, but Resistance 2 just did nothing for me. I flat out did not care what happened, and for those who have played to the end you can tell insomniac wanted the player to care about this character you've been through the **** with and I couldn't. Perhaps others were able to engage more with this one but for me it just didn't work and I don't foresee myself ever recommending this one. Here's to 3 being better! Collapse
  34. Mar 29, 2014
    Resistance 2 is a landmark game for the PS3. The atmosphere and universe is great the bosses are epic and the weapons are unique. This is one of those games that balance single and multiplayer too so there is plenty to do when the single player is over.
  35. Meg
    Nov 24, 2008
    Why 4? They took something brilliant and they neutered it. The designers removed the most enjoyable aspect of Resistance 1 - The campaign/storyline co-op mode. The missions co-op is tedious and not half as enjoyable as the original set out where you could go through the entire story with a friend. The single player campaign is good, but not great. All sparkles and shine in the first half Why 4? They took something brilliant and they neutered it. The designers removed the most enjoyable aspect of Resistance 1 - The campaign/storyline co-op mode. The missions co-op is tedious and not half as enjoyable as the original set out where you could go through the entire story with a friend. The single player campaign is good, but not great. All sparkles and shine in the first half with new guns and scarier monsters, but this wears off eventually, dissolving to repeated predictable combat scenarios of enter room, run and shoot, find ammo, rinse, repeat. The final act in terms of storyline is a big let down, and I won't spoil here why. In short, graphics and music are stunningly good, but gameplay is just such an utter let down here. What a shame! Expand
  36. MikeS
    Jan 17, 2010
    I Don't Uncerstand How This Has Acquired Such A Low User Score. This Is A Great Title, With An Interesting Storyline, Despite The Bland Characters. It Features Interesting Enimies And Stellar Boss Fights Along With Some Pretty Neat Graphics. Don't Let Anybody Tell You Otherwise. Not Forgetting The 60 Player Multiplayer, Which Is The Most Players You Can Chuck Into An FPS, At I Don't Uncerstand How This Has Acquired Such A Low User Score. This Is A Great Title, With An Interesting Storyline, Despite The Bland Characters. It Features Interesting Enimies And Stellar Boss Fights Along With Some Pretty Neat Graphics. Don't Let Anybody Tell You Otherwise. Not Forgetting The 60 Player Multiplayer, Which Is The Most Players You Can Chuck Into An FPS, At Least Until MAG Arrives. Expand
  37. EaterP
    Mar 14, 2010
    This game deserves a 9 if you haven't played the first, and a 7 if you have. Resistance 2 is an epic game. Its got massive set pieces, huge (although extremely easy) bosses, a large variety of awesome weapons and an amazing multiplayer. The reason for the split-score is that it just feels too disconnected from the first game. The story is all over the place and they have introduced This game deserves a 9 if you haven't played the first, and a 7 if you have. Resistance 2 is an epic game. Its got massive set pieces, huge (although extremely easy) bosses, a large variety of awesome weapons and an amazing multiplayer. The reason for the split-score is that it just feels too disconnected from the first game. The story is all over the place and they have introduced new characters and story elements that just dont fit with the first game at all. However If you have never played the first game this shouldnt be a problem. Also the graphics can be a bit iffy sometimes but who cares, this game is massive and the multiplayer is really, really good. I give it an 8 overall as I have played the first and i couldnt really get into it but i dont want to put off any newcomers to the resistance game because they are both great, if a little disjointed. Expand
  38. Feb 26, 2012
    This game simply was an overt let down and the series should have ended with this game. Terrible. The entire game felt scripted, and it was literally the same thing over and over. The variety and capacity of weapons found in the first game is nonexistent. The story is dull and boring. Possible one of the worst games I have ever played. Boring. This game should have gone back to the drawing board.
  39. Fred
    Jan 7, 2009
    Overall I am a bit disappointed after R1. R1 to me was one of the best FPS games I have very experienced - graphics, music, story, game play, it had it all. R2 does not feel the same to me. The storyline is real weak, and that was a good part of why R1 was so good IMO. It also seems like R2 is a much shorter game than R1. It sounds like everyone loves the coop and multi modes, but I play Overall I am a bit disappointed after R1. R1 to me was one of the best FPS games I have very experienced - graphics, music, story, game play, it had it all. R2 does not feel the same to me. The storyline is real weak, and that was a good part of why R1 was so good IMO. It also seems like R2 is a much shorter game than R1. It sounds like everyone loves the coop and multi modes, but I play single mode, so those benefits do not help me. I like the idea of not being able to carry 8+ weapons at one time, but only carrying 2 is a little weak, also. Too much of the game takes place in dark rooms/tunnels and it is difficuly to see (even with the weapon flashlight on). I enjoy AI help on the battfield, but I also liked the solo adventures in R1 - almost all of R2 is team, althought the AI works well. R1 was great, much better than R2, which is just so so. Expand
  40. Jack
    Nov 6, 2008
    do yourself a favor this holiday season...play Dead Space, Fallout 3, or even wait for Call of Duty 5 (which may suck, sure, but doubtfully this time around for Treyarch since they are using everything that made CoD4 awesome and expanding on it...with the exception of a WWII story). anyway you slice it, if you're not already an obsessed fanboy, don't get this one. I owned the do yourself a favor this holiday season...play Dead Space, Fallout 3, or even wait for Call of Duty 5 (which may suck, sure, but doubtfully this time around for Treyarch since they are using everything that made CoD4 awesome and expanding on it...with the exception of a WWII story). anyway you slice it, if you're not already an obsessed fanboy, don't get this one. I owned the first resistance and suffered through one of the most BORING single player campaigns i'd ever encountered, and quit playing it halfway through. Expand
  41. JustinD.
    Jan 26, 2009
    Before I played this game, I had read several reviews that touched on its lackluster artificial intelligence, but none of them stated what a game breaking it problem it actually is. Resistance 2's AI is utterly repugnant, and easily among the worst I've experienced in any FPS, even going back to shooters from the previous console generation. Enemies will routinely ignore your AI Before I played this game, I had read several reviews that touched on its lackluster artificial intelligence, but none of them stated what a game breaking it problem it actually is. Resistance 2's AI is utterly repugnant, and easily among the worst I've experienced in any FPS, even going back to shooters from the previous console generation. Enemies will routinely ignore your AI allies, focusing solely on you, even if you haven't fired a single shot at them. They also seem to know where you are at all times. In one such instance, I was going through houses in a suburban neighborhood. My teammates had run ahead of me, outside and into the yard, while I was checking the house for guns and items. When the eggs in the yard started hatching, the chimera ran past my teammates who were shooting at them, and into the house where I was, even though it was impossible for them to have seen where I was. This ruined the immersion of the game for me, making the entire experience feel extremely cheap and artificial. Another area where the game fails is level design. Most levels are extremely linear, and even the larger areas present very little in the way of tactical options. Even when there is some cover to hide behind, many of the enemies will make regular use of the Auger - an energy weapon capable of shooting through walls - thus nullifying any cover tactics that might have been available to you. Only worsening this, the game makes liberal use of cheap deaths in a number of instances, often resorting to a highly frustrating case of trial and error. Even in the most extreme of these instances, the game does very little to warn or otherwise prepare you for what's about to happen. Thus, most of these deaths are completely unavoidable, and seem like they were only put in place to extend the overall length of the game, albeit in the cheapest possible way. The multiplayer aspect of the game is solid enough, but not particularly noteworthy, especially when compared to that of other recent shooters. The 60-player online matches are relatively smooth, as is the online co-op mode. As a purely multiplayer experience, Resistance 2 is adequate, but the terrible single player campaign only tarnishes what could have been a solid followup to the original. Expand
  42. ArronP
    Nov 5, 2009
    How the hell did R2 get such high praise? The single player campaign is painfully boring. Graphically its a stinker. The PS3 can do considerably better. If you want proof - play Uncharted 2. The AI is ridiculous. Enemies will regularly ignore your team mates and go straight to you, resulting in cheap deaths time and time again. It does have some pretty cool weapons though. It's only How the hell did R2 get such high praise? The single player campaign is painfully boring. Graphically its a stinker. The PS3 can do considerably better. If you want proof - play Uncharted 2. The AI is ridiculous. Enemies will regularly ignore your team mates and go straight to you, resulting in cheap deaths time and time again. It does have some pretty cool weapons though. It's only saving grace is its multi player and co-op, which I must say is pretty decent. Apart from that - very disappointing. Expand
  43. Apr 28, 2013
    Another Call of duty clone of what could've been the best sequel of any shooter until now. The developers literally butchered everything that they've created since the first game, no more investigating levels to get those beautiful archives that were actually interesting and would tell you about the story of the game, no more diary having an history of every weapon and every type ofAnother Call of duty clone of what could've been the best sequel of any shooter until now. The developers literally butchered everything that they've created since the first game, no more investigating levels to get those beautiful archives that were actually interesting and would tell you about the story of the game, no more diary having an history of every weapon and every type of chimera that there was before, no more carry an arsenal in your backpack, no more characters from the first game, and i mean there's no one they even remove the narrator, but the worst part is that the first game characters are replaced by dull boring uninteresting characters that you not know a single thing about them.
    Then you have the regenerating health (straight from cod), you also have the two gun limitation (again straight from cod) and after that even the melee animations are exactly the same ones from cod.
    The only reason why i'm giving this game a four and not a lower score is because the multiplayer is barely decent which sadly i need to count if not i would probably give this game a score of two.
    Is sad and demeaning how Insomniac just released this game only to sell, im telling you the call of duty similarities are frighting.
    In conclusion Resistance 2 is by far the most disappointing sequel that i've ever played until now,(and i've played mw3), dull characters, awful team ai, not even mentioning the fact that you're constantly are going to be asking yourself. Why the chimera is here again? just leaves me with a putrid disgusting feel towards Insomniac games and just the big scum liar sellout that they've become after making such an amazing game like resistance fall of man was.
  44. olliecook
    Feb 23, 2009
    GARBAGE!!! Insomniac, WTF are you DOING? Why take a good thing and ruin it? Everything I liked about R1 is gone: Story, multiple weapons, pacing is awful, I was in an empty yard without ANY enemies for over 10 minis, what a waste.Seems like the whole thing was rushed, full of bugs...had high hopes for this series, as R1 was a good and solid...lets hope they get their game back for R3
  45. Mrjohnny
    Jan 27, 2009
    Improvement on the original.. it's all very linear.. go here.. shoot that.. there's a HUD beacon flashing to your next waypoint sometimes.. but you don't need it.. single player lasts about 12 hours... but i played it on casual.. it looks very very good.. some of the set pieces with the massive chimaera are jaw dropping.. shame it only take 2 or 3 hits with a LAARK to kill Improvement on the original.. it's all very linear.. go here.. shoot that.. there's a HUD beacon flashing to your next waypoint sometimes.. but you don't need it.. single player lasts about 12 hours... but i played it on casual.. it looks very very good.. some of the set pieces with the massive chimaera are jaw dropping.. shame it only take 2 or 3 hits with a LAARK to kill even the building sized beasty and no real skill just point and fire a rocket up it's chuff.. that said one of the end level bosses makes you work for the kill.. story is well non-existent.. you get given reasons for flying off to far flung places to kill chimaera but at the end you're still left thinking "what the hell just happened".. doesn't give any closure what-so-ever, doesn't explain the towers (oh they 'might' be this or they might be that) and the end cinematic leaves you wanting some answers dammit.. guess there must be a resistance 3 in the pipeline.. better than halo 3 though. Expand
  46. ChrisW
    Oct 26, 2009
    Resistance 2 single-player just can't live up to what Insomniac did with R:FoM. The story in R2 lacks a story that sticks. A story that sucks you in. I was bored playing the single-player and haven't touched the game since I finished the single-player. I can't even be bothered to earn the trophies... Like said before here. There's loads of colors here. Don't Resistance 2 single-player just can't live up to what Insomniac did with R:FoM. The story in R2 lacks a story that sticks. A story that sucks you in. I was bored playing the single-player and haven't touched the game since I finished the single-player. I can't even be bothered to earn the trophies... Like said before here. There's loads of colors here. Don't understand why they did that, because it takes the atmosphere away and makes you feel more like Happy Tree Friends with aliens. Also the voice over... WHY!!! WHY IS IT MISSING!!!.... Why drop the voice-over? It was perfect with that British accent. If the colours were toned down, the guy who shot your brains out was doing the voice-over it would have felt much much better. Also the change from army guy to some special forces dude wasn't making it any better. It's a different vibe. It looks good (minus the confetti colours) and I think there's nothing wrong with the controls, it's just the atmosphere from the previous game that's just not in this sequel. Expand
  47. BananaMan
    Jan 6, 2009
    I thought the first Resistance was bad. Boy was I wrong. This game is the definition of bad. The campaign is complete crap, the multiplayer is crap as well. 60 players? Quality over quantity.

And to Dez C, who said Halo died after the first game... is that right? Then explain to me why Halo 3 is the fastest selling game of all time, has a 94 average on MetaCritic, and is still the most played online game a year after its release. Find another game from this gen that released on one console and has already sold 9 million units. You can't.
  48. RockyS.
    Nov 18, 2008
    Run of the mill shooter. It claims a 64 man online game but I could never find more than 3 or 4 people playing online. That is why I lowered the score because it got me hyped for massive online games and that never even came close to being true.
  49. CharlesL.
    Oct 25, 2008
    Wow lets capitalize on two of the most profitable first person shooters and take Halo and combine it with Call of Duty, and then add a little Ratchet and Clank for "originality". From our experience with that series we only need to add new guns in order to make a sequel without any real gameplay development. Our work is done gentlemen (by people who've virtually already done it for usWow lets capitalize on two of the most profitable first person shooters and take Halo and combine it with Call of Duty, and then add a little Ratchet and Clank for "originality". From our experience with that series we only need to add new guns in order to make a sequel without any real gameplay development. Our work is done gentlemen (by people who've virtually already done it for us of course). Expand
  50. LouisB
    Jan 20, 2009
    I have to agree with Tyler H in most of his comments. For single player, he hit the nail on the head. The only saving grace with the game so far is the coop./multiplayer which works well. The single player is simply dull and derivative. Nearly everything I have seen so far in the single player game has been done better somewhere else: AI, boss fights, hording undead/chimera. The graphical I have to agree with Tyler H in most of his comments. For single player, he hit the nail on the head. The only saving grace with the game so far is the coop./multiplayer which works well. The single player is simply dull and derivative. Nearly everything I have seen so far in the single player game has been done better somewhere else: AI, boss fights, hording undead/chimera. The graphical detail is simply poor for a second generation game; it looks average at best. No other comment needed. The irritating, linear game-play where you are overwhelmed by foes only to run out of ammo gets old. Not balanced. The fact that it is not done well just makes the experience all the more derivative. Also, what happened between R2 and R1 to make Hale weaker? It only takes a few hits on Normal, and you are near death. The use of the Gears of War/CoD4 health style is ok, if you do it well. R2 does not do it well. Why this game received the high scores from the majority of the gaming press is a wonder. Except, I only wonder if they actually played the game. Expand
  51. craigyplops
    Jan 2, 2009
    as much as i enjoyed this game i was still expecting better graphics...yes the back drops are awesome and this game does look nice but this game still doesnt hold the shine of such games as gow2 on xbox360,the power of the ps3 is still very much a myth...and what happened to the vehicles in this one,lets hope killzone 2 can produce better or my ps3 will be going on ebay,in my eyes xbox isas much as i enjoyed this game i was still expecting better graphics...yes the back drops are awesome and this game does look nice but this game still doesnt hold the shine of such games as gow2 on xbox360,the power of the ps3 is still very much a myth...and what happened to the vehicles in this one,lets hope killzone 2 can produce better or my ps3 will be going on ebay,in my eyes xbox is still the daddy console Expand
  52. TylerH
    Jan 7, 2009
    While this games isn't a total waste, I was disappointed none the less. I tend to expect alot from shooters because its my favortie type, and because theres so many out there that they need to stand out, but R2 went 180 degrees the wrong way and spun into a ditch. I'll list some of my frustrations. Graphics - Terrible. How are some so easily amazed by them? They are not good While this games isn't a total waste, I was disappointed none the less. I tend to expect alot from shooters because its my favortie type, and because theres so many out there that they need to stand out, but R2 went 180 degrees the wrong way and spun into a ditch. I'll list some of my frustrations. Graphics - Terrible. How are some so easily amazed by them? They are not good unless your used to playing a Wii. They are worse than Resistance 1, and on par with Haze (which didnt have good anything). While I dont believe graphcis make a game, they could have definately improved... alot. In multiplayer, its hard to even tell detail or what the hell is going on. I have a 42in LCD, i should be able to see a little better than what is portrayed. Options you have to customize your character are useless with the graphics engine. R2 shamed the ps3 in this category big time. gameplay - Alot of trial and error. Rediculous AI that can find you ANYWHERE. Me and a friend tried coop and he stayed back... on the otherside of the map because he had low health, wanted me to clear out the chimera. I pressed a button, here they come, I die, and then they immediately go to my friend, killing him. Hilariously rediculous. Single player, you turn a corner and die. Cheap deaths make this game painful to play. storyline - while they did make everything on a bigger scale, it just doesn't feel right. So what if there is a huge space ship in the sky taking up most of my screen, it doesn't make up for the game. The story doesn't seem to follow any pattern, it just jumps around to different random bosses and eventually you fight an end boss. Hale is portrayed completely different now than he was in R1. I dont get where all these reviewers are saying this one is better than the 1st. Whatever gun you need for the spot in the map that your at, will coinsidentally be right in front of you before the they throw 30 chimera at you. Extremely linear maps have you going in a straight path for almost 100% of the game. I never got lost or even had to question where i was going. A.I in general is too good. They can kill you with ease. R2 copies Cod4 style health which is annyoing as hell for this type of game, and the same beat to death 2 gun limit with a few nades. Those that say there aren't people playing online are lying. There are people, I just dont know why they are. 60 player maps have to purpose or reason, its just chaos... and not in a good way. Snipers are just about useless in R2. They were stragetic in the first. Map design is poorly crafted... I dont know what else off the top of my head I can say... but please... PLEASE rent this before you buy. I completely regret layin down the $ for the collectors edition. Another overhyped game that I bought into and now have to pay for. Expand
  53. JaredK
    Mar 8, 2009
    The original Resistance was my favorite game on the console. I waited eagerly for the sequel -- and was then bitterly disappointed when it arrived. It's like the original game was designed by a single guy with a gritty vision of a dingy reimagining of WW2 with aliens. Then they decided the sequel should be written by a focus group. To all you idjits who didn't "get" the first The original Resistance was my favorite game on the console. I waited eagerly for the sequel -- and was then bitterly disappointed when it arrived. It's like the original game was designed by a single guy with a gritty vision of a dingy reimagining of WW2 with aliens. Then they decided the sequel should be written by a focus group. To all you idjits who didn't "get" the first one: Yeah, it's nearly black-and-white on purpose. Yeah, it's unrealistic to be able to carry 20 guns at once. Yeah, it's great that your complaints ruined what had been a mind-blowingly fun title. Congrats. Expand
  54. AustinV
    Jan 1, 2010
    Possibly one of the WORST next-gen games i have ever played,I strongly urge you NOT to buy this game if you are looking for a great single player or competitive multi-player the single player is boring and feels like a rip of Halo and Call of Duty,the enemy's are all common and the checkpoints are terribly put in place,once I was playing and used my sniper to take all enemies out Possibly one of the WORST next-gen games i have ever played,I strongly urge you NOT to buy this game if you are looking for a great single player or competitive multi-player the single player is boring and feels like a rip of Halo and Call of Duty,the enemy's are all common and the checkpoints are terribly put in place,once I was playing and used my sniper to take all enemies out ahead of me,it took a while but all of them were dead,so I moved on,and died,I respawned and All of my sniper ammo was gone,but the enemies were still there. Now,on the the Competitive multi-player,one word...TERRIBLE,there is little fun to be had here,there is absolutley NO balance and noone uses a microphone ,and its chaotic,but not at all in a good way. The one fun thing thing that you can truly have genuine fun on this game is probably the Co-Op multiplayer which allows you to choose from 3 classes,Soldier,Medic, and Spec-Ops,it may not be as customizable as borderlands,but there are many hours of fun to be had here but the lack of functioning players is another thing,if you only speak english(like me) most of the time you won't understand the people who do have microphones(in my experience) also,your lucky ti find someone who DOES have a micropohne,and extremely lucky if its not a 5 year old or someone yelling at you in spanish. But if you can get a couple of friends, you can have alot of fun in the co- op mode,other than that,this game is trash. Expand
  55. DannyHavoc
    Nov 1, 2008
    I have been looking forward to this game since the original one came out. I've been patiently waiting, humble and submissive. And then the day comes where I finally get to play it. I even got my copy a few days early. And so I began to play...

Insomniac? For crying out loud. What the hell have you been doing the last 2 years! Smoking pot?
  56. CollieS.
    Nov 11, 2008
    This game is garbage. Poor control, confusing...huge disappointment from the first version. I was really anticipating this game and am so disappointed on what a waste is is. My friends are all upset as well. Don't waste your money on this. Buy Gears of War II instead!
  57. mikeyk
    Nov 16, 2008
    This game was alright. I was kind of disappointed The coolest thing about the first one is that it was so different. It was a WWII shooter with an alien invasion. It had bizarre weapons a one of a kind theme. Now, this one was not quite as fun or thrilling as the first and Its originality has been lost. It just kind of became one of those generic modern monster shooting games. Id give the This game was alright. I was kind of disappointed The coolest thing about the first one is that it was so different. It was a WWII shooter with an alien invasion. It had bizarre weapons a one of a kind theme. Now, this one was not quite as fun or thrilling as the first and Its originality has been lost. It just kind of became one of those generic modern monster shooting games. Id give the story and the gameplay an 8 Expand
  58. AllenP
    Nov 17, 2008
    The game is decent but nothing more.The single player campaign is ok but you will die alot and it can be confusing.Some sections put you there with no explanation as to what you are supposed to do,so you are running around,lost. The enemies are the best part,the bosses are amazing.Most of the game though suffers from being boring and lackluster. The multiplayer is terrible and The game is decent but nothing more.The single player campaign is ok but you will die alot and it can be confusing.Some sections put you there with no explanation as to what you are supposed to do,so you are running around,lost. The enemies are the best part,the bosses are amazing.Most of the game though suffers from being boring and lackluster. The multiplayer is terrible and forgettable.60 player is too overwhelming and you die too much. Save your money,rent it,beat the campaign and take it back to Blockbuster. Expand
  59. artykushner
    Nov 26, 2008
    BEWARE:there are issues saving this game. WHEN I LOAD SAVED DATA I GET A MESSAEG THAT READS" DATA CORRUPTION" and all my saved info is deleted. many other users are having the same problem. THIS IS VERY BAD as you have to completelt rebbot the game each time you play. i feel cheated and stuck without a solution
  60. Adam
    Nov 28, 2008
    I was really looking forward to this game because the story co-op was so much fun in the first one. So it's a major disappointment that this mode is no longer available. Perhaps the graphics may have suffered in a split screen mode, but Motorstorm managed it ! The side missions are no replacement for it.
    I like the improvements to the single player mode but the online mode is
    I like the improvements to the single player mode but the online mode is annoying as ever for a casual player who despite the apparent matching process finds himself playing people that are evidently on it all the time.
  61. ArnoldV.
    Nov 4, 2008
    This game is bad. Seriously... what kind of game have such confusing and completely no fun multiplayer modes like this? Ran far, far away from this game, do not spend a single cent with amateur games like this.
  62. DanielTrun
    Oct 30, 2008
    Quite a disappoint of a sequel. The graphics aren't that great, and the gameplay feels stiff at times. The story is interesting though, but overall, the game just feels like it didn't deliver the series into a whole new level. Do yourself a favor and "resist" buying the game before renting it.
  63. JoeH.
    Nov 19, 2008
    A very terrible game I regret to inform you, curious metacritic browsing person. I did not care much for the game at all. I would rate it a zero out of ten because' I could not stand the game long enough to actually play. I now use the disc as a Frisbee for my dog. It is typical of the Piece of Sh*t 3 to achieve such terrible releases.
  64. mikesid...
    Nov 28, 2008
    got this 2day & have played the 1st 4 chapters. was stunned by how terrible the graphics are!! gameplay is ok, pretty much the same as the 1st. put this on next 2 gears 2 & u wud think it was on ps2, not ps3. shame coz ive been lukin 4ward 2 this 4 months. it feels like haze all over again 2 me. ps. wots the point me having a 1080p tv when even ps3 exclusives cant manage it. every game ingot this 2day & have played the 1st 4 chapters. was stunned by how terrible the graphics are!! gameplay is ok, pretty much the same as the 1st. put this on next 2 gears 2 & u wud think it was on ps2, not ps3. shame coz ive been lukin 4ward 2 this 4 months. it feels like haze all over again 2 me. ps. wots the point me having a 1080p tv when even ps3 exclusives cant manage it. every game in my 360 collection r & they all luk awesome!! Expand
  65. J.Callias
    Nov 29, 2008
    Poor campaign - no thinking is required, just wander from place to place, pick the "right" gun that's is there, kill the monsters, drop gun, move on to next scene, pick up the "right gun", kill monster, ad nauseum. The original was excellent. Here, they've gone for the "let's dumb it all down." Wait for the game to drop below $30 to buy.
  66. JohnSmitts
    Nov 3, 2008
    Just another reason not to pick up the PS3. With games like this it makes me wonder what is the point of owning a PS3. The only thing the game has is a good coop, besides that no point of paying 60.00 for this. Definitely a rental all the way.
  67. BenP.
    Nov 4, 2008
    Single player campaign would be about a 5 out of 10. Story is about a 5 out of 10. Control is a 3 out of 10. MP is too broken, buggy, laggy and impossible to use so it gets a -5. In three hours of trying to play on game I maybe played for 15 minutes. And I wasn't even able to play all the way through before I got kicked out .
  68. JCS
    Nov 4, 2009
    IMO this game doesn't deserve more than an 8.5 or 85 score... Even 87 feels like pushing it. Often have I toyed with the thought of this game becoming PS3's iconic shooter alongside Killzone 2, hence allowing Sony to face Microsoft's Halo 3, Gears of War etc. with a certain degree of credibility, but it finally didn't live up to my expectations, and those of countless IMO this game doesn't deserve more than an 8.5 or 85 score... Even 87 feels like pushing it. Often have I toyed with the thought of this game becoming PS3's iconic shooter alongside Killzone 2, hence allowing Sony to face Microsoft's Halo 3, Gears of War etc. with a certain degree of credibility, but it finally didn't live up to my expectations, and those of countless others. It is simply a pretty average shooter, with decent graphics, decent game-play, decent modes... Decent. Nothing more and nothing less. On a "darker" note: The story-line is extremely unoriginal and the game-play can become quite repetitive. Expand
  69. FrankB.
    Nov 12, 2008
    I bought this game thinking i would get a great game ... but i was wrong .. this game is a shit coming from some guys ass .. the campain is total bullshit with no story at all .. all you do is run where you are told to go and not much more .. easy bosses and with sucky muiltyplayer ... so i give this shit a big fat 0
  70. NathanHale
    Dec 28, 2008
    Game could of been better - nothing really improved from Resistance 1 except more people online in one match (60 total, 30 vs 30), weapons selection is limited. Graphics are good, but disappointing a bit - c'mon, it's been 3 years and still no game has TRULY untilized full Bluray technology.
  71. Sep 13, 2010
    Resistance 2 was mediocre at best. With a horrible story and terrible gameplay, i don't understand the hype over it.
    The only semi-good part of this game was that the multiplayer coop took a LITTLE bit of skill.. then again this was on the hardest difficulty. Overall, not a game which money should be spent on.
  72. Oct 15, 2010
    The game is a first person shooter, it is bloody at some parts of the game. you are Nathan Hale from Resistance 1: fall of man, most people consider this game to be a lot like Halo me personally I think it is. But there is a lot difference the graphics are outstanding for this sort of game, how good the detail of every creature, machinery and scenery is amazing. Plus to top it off theThe game is a first person shooter, it is bloody at some parts of the game. you are Nathan Hale from Resistance 1: fall of man, most people consider this game to be a lot like Halo me personally I think it is. But there is a lot difference the graphics are outstanding for this sort of game, how good the detail of every creature, machinery and scenery is amazing. Plus to top it off the sound effects from the nearest bullet to the loudest roar or scream, in the game goes really well with it all. the story mode has loads of interesting missions it literally puts you in the game, it has you on the edge of seat and the game if you are playing it on your own with no one else around it has the ability, to make you jump. lots of unexpected things are going to happen so be prepared if you have never played this game before.
    compared to Resistance 1 the chimera (aliens) have changed it is the old kind now in these one are harder to kill and have a lot more accuracy unless you know how to dodge most of there bullets, they have all new monsters that a hard to defeat (depends on the difficulty setting) but there is a a weakness that they all have. Also you have a chance to wield new guns and the all new lark (rocket launcher).

now the multi-player is excellent I could play it straight with a cup of coffee next to me and just keep playing. It will take you a lot to get board of this game if you like the first one and if you are into this sort of game your going to love it. it offers you co-operative on-line/off-line game play which is some story missions but changed around a bit, you can do straight forward battling with other players on-line, and there are many more awaiting you.

the game as far as I think is amazing I cant see no problems with it, but there are a lot off changes compared to resistance fall of man like guns and now you can zoom which is a good thing because it comes handy, trust me I know and others who have played this game will agree, some people moan that you can only carry two weapons, in resistance 1 you could carry more than 4 guns. which I don't moan about because they have tried to make this as real as possible, and I guarantee that you could not carry more than 4 guns, and run around like he does. The games is truly amazing just remember to be aware and prepared. TIP: always reload your weapon after you have finished killing.
  73. Oct 17, 2010
    Didn't liked the story. I wish they changed the story's setting. Graphics were amazing and gameplay and controls were good. Multiplayer coop was tedious and boring. Competitive multiplayer was great, big maps and lots of people. Rent it before buying.
  74. Apr 14, 2011
    I just couldn't get into this trash, I found it was boring, too linear for my liking. Although I find it trash others may like it. even if I do not understand why. Just like the Kill Zone series, I find these games a big flop.
  75. Jul 7, 2012
    I enjoyed Resistance 1 and 3 but this game is just bad. They some how screwed up coop campaign, the online multi player is disappointing, the appearance is ugly and jarring and random **** is shiny all over the place, and just oh god its bad, really really bad. Stick to resistance 1 and 3 pretend this game doesn't exist. Also don't play the portable titles.
  76. Aug 15, 2012
    Slightly better than the first one, but at least there are some improvements. Graphic is one big improvement, and presentation of the story. Weapons are almost the same. Enemies variety has increased a little. This is only an above average game. Nothing is really great that needs compliment, nothing is really bad that needs complaint.
  77. May 28, 2012
    this game is okay, more of the same.
  78. Dec 9, 2012
    Lets start by saying I am new to the PS3 having had an XBOX 360 for a few years now,but I decided to get a Playstation and bought Resistance 2 together with Fall of man,I really loved the first game,but this is a stinker.

What went wrong everything about Resistance 1 that was good,the controls,the story the game-play were thrown out of the window for this sequel what were the developers thinking,where they drunk all the time through development or were they playing a joke on gamers,whatever it was they really messed this game up it's as if a whole new team worked on it without any or little knowledge of what came before.

I can't think of anything but the rumble feature that this game has that's an improvement over the first,this game is all trial and error and it gets really tedious when you die over and over and over and over again and each time have to start again from the beginning of the level, you often die because enemies just spawn out of nowhere when you least expect you also get confused as to what to do and where to go you often get swarmed with masses of creatures who bizarrely only target you and not your teams mates and you often run out of ammo a lot as you are restricted to two guns,they also changed the controls around as well which annoys the hell out of me,but I finished this game because I bought it,but had I known how bad and inferior it would be compared to the first game I wouldn't have bought it,this game isn't worth buying at all,rent it instead,but even then you'd feel ripped off.
  79. Jul 22, 2012
    Loved the game.

If only there was 8 player co-op, and 64-player multi-player on Resistance 3 I would of got it... Its like if they Zombies from Call of Duty - worst choice ever.
  80. May 28, 2013
    After Resistance FoM, I was hoping this game would be really good and capture the same feel as the first one. Did it fully capture it? For the most part yes. The story was wonderfully put together, with great characters, plot, set pieces, and AI.
    The MP was of course of the chains. With the massive matches going on and crazy clan battles, the game was great. The new COOP experience was great as well. The only down side was the lack of support by Insomniac. No new COOP DLC, and well over priced maps for MP. But there was no incentive to get those DLCs.
    Aside from that, the problems that existed were with the somewhat cartoonish graphics, bodies exploding in to the chunks of intestines and organs, no arms or legs, those were rare when it came to certain enemies. In Multiplayer there were only organs all over the place. The fire physics and textures in this installment were terrible. The did a great job on the water physics. To some people these are laughable things to pick on, but when you are looking for a good looking game, these things count.
    Over all the game was enjoyable, great story, great graphics, characters you could relate and care about.
    There was a lot of hate on this game because it was nothing like Resistance Fall of Man. But truthfully it was more of a Resistance title than Resistance 3.
  81. EricP
    Apr 10, 2009
    Resistance 2 is quite possibly one of the most enjoyable multiplayer titles that has been released on PS3. The campaign mode is nothing to write home about and is really just a rehashed version of the first installment. It doesn't bring a whole lot to the table graphics wise, sporting a mere 720p resolution, although decent in its own right. Unfortunately, I didn't find a Resistance 2 is quite possibly one of the most enjoyable multiplayer titles that has been released on PS3. The campaign mode is nothing to write home about and is really just a rehashed version of the first installment. It doesn't bring a whole lot to the table graphics wise, sporting a mere 720p resolution, although decent in its own right. Unfortunately, I didn't find a majority of the weapons desirable to use especially in multiplayer situations. The Halo inspired Battle Rifle is perhaps the best of the bunch. Overall, a solid effort particularly given the online functions. However, if not for its success in that regard, it would have been a total flop to say the least. Expand
  82. FortuneFaded
    Jul 20, 2009
    If there's anything to be said the multiplayer will blow you're mind; I could probably spend twelve hours playing it striaght without getting bored. R2 was a game made for multiplayer, and is brilliantly good at that. Good as COD4? I dunno because i have never played COD4, but if it is better then it can't be that much because when it comes to multiplayer R2 is bloody If there's anything to be said the multiplayer will blow you're mind; I could probably spend twelve hours playing it striaght without getting bored. R2 was a game made for multiplayer, and is brilliantly good at that. Good as COD4? I dunno because i have never played COD4, but if it is better then it can't be that much because when it comes to multiplayer R2 is bloody brilliant. But then there's the catch. You see, the only game I had ever seen with a theme and story line presented so brilliantly was Metal Gear Solid 4. And thats saying a lot. To create such a good multiplayer game insomniac has had to lose its focus on the campaign. Its not the change in how the gameplay works. Its the complete destruction of everything that the original resistance stood for. The warm colourful graphics. The stupid, poorly thoughout story line (not the fact that Hale carks it though, that was always coming) that didn't answer to any of the great mysteries set up by the first. The lack of any sort of twist in plot to take it even deeper. I wanted to see horror unleashed. Carnage, despair. I wanted it to be a sudden, shock attack of the war and to see everything crumbling. I wanted to feel like the entire war was lost. The idea was that you'd be fighting not just chimera but hopelessness, like you did in the first game. The only thing that seemed to capture it was the first half of Iowa, about thrity perfect minutes before it sank even further. Great multiplayer, but it had to lose all that in the bargain. Expand
  83. AnonymousMC
    Nov 6, 2008
    The only complaint I have at the moment is the split screen bug while trying to play online coop. Everything else is stellar. Getting 8 competent people together to take on the coop missions is fun as hell. Personally I enjoyed the campaign, though I wish it had been somewhat longer. I don't feel any need to elaborate on how sweet 60 player team death match is.
  84. AnonymousMC
    Oct 25, 2008
    This game blows. About 1 out of 50 games I play is relatively LAG free, the other times it feels like my TV is having a seizer. The SP is pretty linear, there's no WOW factor to it it's basically "You see this bad guy? Well you need to kill him to win the game." And for the boss the size of a skyscraper, way to easy. It was basically run from point A to point B and shoot and heThis game blows. About 1 out of 50 games I play is relatively LAG free, the other times it feels like my TV is having a seizer. The SP is pretty linear, there's no WOW factor to it it's basically "You see this bad guy? Well you need to kill him to win the game." And for the boss the size of a skyscraper, way to easy. It was basically run from point A to point B and shoot and he dies. All in all Insomniac Games really dropped the ball on this one and I really had high hopes for this game. Expand
  85. barrym
    Jan 19, 2009
    this game certainly isn't all its cracked up to be, but it isn't an absolute waste either- very linear and most of the big guns lack any ooomphh, meaning you'll more than likely use the magnum or sniper rifle, because its much more fulfilling than spraying a hundred bullets into the enemy and them still walking.
    also, the game has turned from a shooter to a survival horror game
  86. DouglasA.
    Feb 3, 2009
    The graphics are average but get the job done. The creation of the multiplayer co-op really bumped this game from 5 rating to a 7. The spawning system for online versus is horrible. The most enjoyable part is that the Marksman gun feels very similar to the battle rifle in the Halo series, and weaving while landing three bullet bursts is the ONLY thing I missed after switching to PS3 from The graphics are average but get the job done. The creation of the multiplayer co-op really bumped this game from 5 rating to a 7. The spawning system for online versus is horrible. The most enjoyable part is that the Marksman gun feels very similar to the battle rifle in the Halo series, and weaving while landing three bullet bursts is the ONLY thing I missed after switching to PS3 from crappy XBOX. Now I can do it again, but don't get your overall expectations too high. Expand
  87. JoeB
    May 2, 2009
    I came to the PS3 a little late and the first 2 games i got were risistence fall of man and resistence 2. Fall of man was amazing but needs some improvents in the next game and when i finally played resistence 2, i was amazed. It wasn't perfect but it was pretty close, the story was good, the graphic were stunning, boss fights a little short and easy but still stunning especially I came to the PS3 a little late and the first 2 games i got were risistence fall of man and resistence 2. Fall of man was amazing but needs some improvents in the next game and when i finally played resistence 2, i was amazed. It wasn't perfect but it was pretty close, the story was good, the graphic were stunning, boss fights a little short and easy but still stunning especially when you fought the massive monster in Chicago. Overall i thought i was a great game you'll have a ton of fun shooting crap loads of aliens half way back to hell. Expand
  88. MikeC.
    Nov 11, 2008
    I'm not commenting on the multi-player component of this game at all, since I do not have access to a broadband connection at the moment. Resistance felt alot like the original Halo to me. Big, sweeping moments outdoors, my heart beating fast in my chest as I heroically beat down wave after wave of aliens in the name of good mother earth. However, inside I was bored to tears; I'm not commenting on the multi-player component of this game at all, since I do not have access to a broadband connection at the moment. Resistance felt alot like the original Halo to me. Big, sweeping moments outdoors, my heart beating fast in my chest as I heroically beat down wave after wave of aliens in the name of good mother earth. However, inside I was bored to tears; wandering aimlessly around identical corridors while being fed a nonsensical plot about characters I didn't give a shit about. Unlike Call of Duty 4 or even Condemned 2, the houses and living spaces I entered in R2 just didn't feel right. The proportions of objects are all wrong, the lighting never looks right, and there is a lack of detail. It all looks empty and bland compared to the sweeping vistas and epic confrontations outside. Referring to boss battles, while it's a thrill to fight a monster 50 stories tall, it just never felt like I was choosing my own actions fighting it. I felt like I was being led down a pre-set path hand in hand instead of ingeniously figuring out how to put down the massive creatures. It destroyed the illusion for me to have every solution spelled out for me or have very simple solutions. And the alternate WWII setting is still old and boring, and Nathan Hale is still a dull main character. I'd never buy this game. I had about ten times the amount of fun playing LittleBigPlanet or Fallout 3. A snoozing rental at most. Expand
  89. MarkR.
    Nov 18, 2008
    alright, so disregarding people who haven't actually played this game, I have seen nothing but adoration for this game from the general community. It is a rare gem in a sea of boring thoughtless fps games. I found the single player incredibly engaging and interesting, with the right mix of drama, good graphics, well constructed plot twists, terrifying unique enemies and interesting alright, so disregarding people who haven't actually played this game, I have seen nothing but adoration for this game from the general community. It is a rare gem in a sea of boring thoughtless fps games. I found the single player incredibly engaging and interesting, with the right mix of drama, good graphics, well constructed plot twists, terrifying unique enemies and interesting weapons. This is what the halo series should have been in sp. Doesn't try to be too shiny, doesn't try to be too gritty, it's a great achievement. Not to mention the "boss" fights are unprecedented in scale and tension. After finishing the single player I started playing the online modes and split-screen and though I haven't even close to scratched the surface I can honestly say I've never seen a game with as much scope as this. There is more for your 60 bucks here than I've ever seen in a game, a part from possibly LittleBigPlanet. Overall, there's nothing I can complain about on this game, and I will be playing it for years to come. Expand
  90. RubberD.
    Nov 23, 2008
    After reading some reviews and seeing a TV review, I cant wait for this game. I loved the 1st Resistance, I thought the scale of the game was awesome, and this seems to be the same. The 1st title was strange in the fact that the 1st few levels were very.......average shall we say, but if you popped through the so so opening stages, it was a game that rewarded you the more ou played, I After reading some reviews and seeing a TV review, I cant wait for this game. I loved the 1st Resistance, I thought the scale of the game was awesome, and this seems to be the same. The 1st title was strange in the fact that the 1st few levels were very.......average shall we say, but if you popped through the so so opening stages, it was a game that rewarded you the more ou played, I loved that feature, So all in all, its built me up for what looks to be a great game. This will be one that I will put away for myself till xmas (along with GoW2,LBP,Tomb Raider,Dead Space & Prince of Persia, hey it beats socks and smelly spray, lol). Expand
  91. BMF
    Nov 3, 2008
    Great game Bethesda captured the feal of the original games very well the only con i can think of is the animation for running and some other movements is very strange looking and erratic.
  92. MaxS.
    Nov 4, 2008
    As my teachers say... Nothing is perfect. This game is all of what Resistance:Fall of Man was supposed to be. And being a release game, I can't say I blame Insomniac games. I bought my PS3 looking at a cover for the original. And ever since I've been dying to play Resistance 2. The story is really good, Game play kicks ass, and with new Chimera, there are tons of new things to As my teachers say... Nothing is perfect. This game is all of what Resistance:Fall of Man was supposed to be. And being a release game, I can't say I blame Insomniac games. I bought my PS3 looking at a cover for the original. And ever since I've been dying to play Resistance 2. The story is really good, Game play kicks ass, and with new Chimera, there are tons of new things to do and see. The graphics are insanely good. My friend and I spent a good 5 minutes on looking at the water alone. and with the first boss being a water boss... need I say more. This Game has everything it needs to compete against Gears of War 2. I hope Insomniac Games comes out with more titles, just as good as Resistance 2. I love the Gears story as well and I'm looking forward to Gears after I finish Resistance 2. Expand
  93. IceFenix
    Nov 5, 2008
    Resistance 2 improves upon every aspect that Resistance Fall of Man either missed or did not target well. The main improvements that stands out are the graphics, storyline, and certain game mechanics, which makes the game much easier to pickup and play and understand. There are some minor issues such as disappearing textures or floating bodies, but they are very negligible because almost Resistance 2 improves upon every aspect that Resistance Fall of Man either missed or did not target well. The main improvements that stands out are the graphics, storyline, and certain game mechanics, which makes the game much easier to pickup and play and understand. There are some minor issues such as disappearing textures or floating bodies, but they are very negligible because almost every game has it. Where the game really shines is in its co-op and multiplayer. Co-op supports up to 8 players online in a completely separate plot that aligns with the main storyline. Multiplayer can reach a max of 60 players, without minimal lag and connection issues. Thus, Resistance has truly stuck with Insomniac's goal of scale, which can be seen in the single and multiplayer. Additionally, disregard Arnold V. and Ben P. because their lack of justification and reasoning for giving such low scores proves their stupidity and the fact that they NEVER played the game. All in all, a highly recommended game for PS3 owners and ignore the idiocy of the two individuals that gave the game 1 and 3. Expand
  94. DavidMak
    Nov 5, 2008
    It's really just not what I expected. The story is captivating, but I just think the graphics are terrible, how one takes down the bosses is boring after the first time. I don't like how you now encounter the weapons on the maps. MP is just random. No one works together.
  95. ColonelS.
    Nov 6, 2008
    This is a wonderful HUGE game! Single player blew me away so much that I'm on my 3rd playthrough on Superhuman. The graphics are amazing, the best I've seen on my PS3 so far. Add the wonderful multiplayer and this is the hit of the year. I just barely started playing co-op and it's freakin' amazing. Leveling up is so much fun. Anyone who rates this game lower than an This is a wonderful HUGE game! Single player blew me away so much that I'm on my 3rd playthrough on Superhuman. The graphics are amazing, the best I've seen on my PS3 so far. Add the wonderful multiplayer and this is the hit of the year. I just barely started playing co-op and it's freakin' amazing. Leveling up is so much fun. Anyone who rates this game lower than an 8/10 is seriously either a fanboy for another console or doesn't like FPS games. Take the Variety review for instance. Who the heck are they anway? Metacritic, why do you let two-bit periodicals like Variety have any weight whatsoever in game reviews? It's just as lousy as letting the New York Times review games. Leave it up to the professionals and get these hack "journalists" out so they don't drag down the score for a wonderful game that has been getting mostly 9/10 from credible, professional sources. Expand
  96. BenF.
    Nov 6, 2008
    Very good game, extremely better than the first. The split screen online and 60 player online as well as the 8 player co op is what puts this game over the top. The storyline is also groundbreaking. BIG graphical improvements and gameplay improvements. Best FPS ive played to date.
  97. MarkY
    Nov 6, 2008
    This game got me zoned in at first. I got it on day one I played it on the difficult setting. Either I'm getting way better or this game is just way easier than the first. Great game to play however a tad too easy. There is no real methods to taking care of the larger enemies and the gameplay sort of felt spoon fed in small doses especially in how to beat certain enemies. It was a This game got me zoned in at first. I got it on day one I played it on the difficult setting. Either I'm getting way better or this game is just way easier than the first. Great game to play however a tad too easy. There is no real methods to taking care of the larger enemies and the gameplay sort of felt spoon fed in small doses especially in how to beat certain enemies. It was a short wild ride. I would wait on a price drop unless you want to get ahead in multiplayer. Expand
  98. AlexC
    Nov 6, 2008
    This game is fantasti! it's a huge improvement from the last one and it's just shows you the strides insomniac took to make the resistance series a must buy. This game is worth every penny. And seroiusly if you can't understand the multiplayer games maybe so should try playing dora the explorer or something else. The only kids who are writing bad reveiws for this game are This game is fantasti! it's a huge improvement from the last one and it's just shows you the strides insomniac took to make the resistance series a must buy. This game is worth every penny. And seroiusly if you can't understand the multiplayer games maybe so should try playing dora the explorer or something else. The only kids who are writing bad reveiws for this game are xbox fanboys who never even played the game but can't stand that PS3 has a hit and is fastly creeping up on the 360. This game is a must buy and you would be foolish to overlook this game. Expand
    Nov 6, 2008
    So far this game is just excellent as first if not more. Online is completely amazing. So far haven't encountered any lag, even in the sixty player matches. Co-op is extremely fun even though it is not what I expected. Most importantly though the storyline is excellent. It starts off where the first ended. After they capture you you are sedated. You wake up and they tell you whats So far this game is just excellent as first if not more. Online is completely amazing. So far haven't encountered any lag, even in the sixty player matches. Co-op is extremely fun even though it is not what I expected. Most importantly though the storyline is excellent. It starts off where the first ended. After they capture you you are sedated. You wake up and they tell you whats going on as your flying above Iceland. The chimerans shoot you down now you must battle your way through the level and take out a goliath. After this is done the screen goes black and says two years later. You are in a underground base and are waking up after having tests done to you. Chimerans attack and you must make your way out. Once you come out you see the "famous horizon" as America is fallen to pieces. Expand
  100. ThomasLanteigne
    Oct 18, 2008
    tried the beta, and its quite action packed, choice of 3 classes and interesting weaponry. The Coop map I tried in the beta is pretty good too. There is the concept of leveling up your character a bit like CoD4. if you are hesitating, you should definatly give this game a try!
  101. Oct 11, 2012

The single player is epic in scope and in story, which is practically worth the price of admission by itself. Then you throw in the extremely engaging co-op and competitive play, which expands on replayability in just about every way possible. Toss in a generous number of unlockables, trophies and community support, and you've got a phenomenal experience.
  2. It succeeds because it doesn’t just try to throw more humans into the same old environments and gameplay. It offers a smart three class system that encourages savvy team-work, an experience meter that builds to enable special attacks and uses levels designed specifically for the mode to maximise the resulting gameplay. It also dynamically shifts the action to take into account the number and skill of players in each game, making for near endless replayability. It’s a hit, pure and simple.
    Resistance 2 is gutsier, it’s gorier, and it’s much, much bigger.