• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 4, 2008
6.0

1. Mar 6, 2012
    Amazing game! , I cant believe how some people gave this game such low scores! Its an AWESOME! game.. I recommend this game to every "REAL" gamer out there.
  2. Mar 29, 2014
    Resistance 2 is a landmark game for the PS3. The atmosphere and universe is great the bosses are epic and the weapons are unique. This is one of those games that balance single and multiplayer too so there is plenty to do when the single player is over.
  3. Dec 12, 2010
    I don't understand what all the hate's for. I had a great time with this game. A HUGE improvement over the 1st one. Single player is great and the co op mode is alot of fun when you have a team that's working together well. Competitive online mode isn't the best out their but still managed to suck countless hours of play time from me.
  4. Sep 27, 2011
    pretty good game. very good multiplayer!
  5. Dec 19, 2010
    I recently decided to play through this after completing RFoM again, and I cannot understand the hate it is getting. Many complain about how the atmosphere has been "ruined" without the narrator and that some colour has been injected into the game. Personally, RFoM was too bleak in parts and it is not like R2 is trying to impersonate LittleBigPlanet with some of the lighting and colouringI recently decided to play through this after completing RFoM again, and I cannot understand the hate it is getting. Many complain about how the atmosphere has been "ruined" without the narrator and that some colour has been injected into the game. Personally, RFoM was too bleak in parts and it is not like R2 is trying to impersonate LittleBigPlanet with some of the lighting and colouring in it. Insomniac have added depth to the visual field - parts are still bleak but others now feel livelier, and it suits the game. (Not to mention the graphics are MUCH improved, -aside from the odd poor texture on trees and fires-anyone who argues the graphics in RFoM are better seriously needs their head examined) The narrator of the first game was used as it was recounting the story, in R2 it is not from a future perspective - and for me this works better for the events in the campaign, you should not criticize the game for something which makes such little difference and something the developers obviously thought suited one game and not the other. On the campaign, I believe the story is highly captivating, even if Hale is not the most charismatic lead. The enormous plot twists and some of the intricacies of the plot could have been better explained, but reading the intel that is scattered throughout the game certainly helps fill in most of the gaps. The sci-fi story of the Resistance series has me gripped, and I for one find it more interesting than the Michael Bay-inspired COD series. As for gameplay, while there may not be anything in the way of innovation, the experience is still highly enjoyable. Chimera are a tad easier to kill than in the previous instalment (to anyone who complains of being killed constantly; there is an "Easy" setting) and yes, the levels may be linear, but what good FPS can truly claim to be non-linear? For a developer such as Insomniac which prides itself on its story-telling, a degree of linearity has to be enforced. Those who complain about the industry standard health regen system being used in this are fools. If anything, that system is more suited to this franchise than ANY other game on the market, due to Hale's natural ability to heal himself. The health regen system is out of place in COD, yet no one complains? The controls in this game are much more intuitive than the original, R3 to aim down the sights was horrendously awkward and has been replaced by the much more comfortable L1, secondary fire has sensibly been moved to R2 and the addition of a sprint function (L2) was also welcome. A few gripes: as many have mentioned, boss battles, while spectacular, are rather formulaic, and the removal of the weapon wheel took out some of the strategy from the first game which I enjoyed so much. The single player experience is a lot better than some make it out to be, and requires a certain level of commitment and contextual understanding to enjoy, I feel. The lack of campaign co-op was obviously a big blow but that impact was lessened by the slew of online modes. I thought the multiplayer was the weakest part of the game, while enjoyable, something about the competitive mode just didn't feel intense enough, and the co-op online mode became fairly repetitive. Reducing the scale of the multiplayer slightly would help in future instalments. Overall R2 was a game I enjoyed greatly - I am hooked by the series' storyline and cannot wait to see its conclusion, and the scale of this game just blew me away. Both the single-player and multiplayer need some minor tweaks but otherwise this (and it's predecessor) are both must have games if you have a PS3. Expand
  6. Nov 10, 2011
    My favourite game on the PS3! Its well presented with a strong and captivating storyline, one of the few games that sucks you in so much at you REALLY dont want to die, as if there are real implications if you do. Brilliant, loved it! not trading this one in ;)
  7. Mar 4, 2014
    Should u still give this a shot in 2014? If u haven't played already, u'll miss out on one of the finest FPS ever!

The story feels disconnected, the cut-scenes are crap and I really didn't care about the characters (Nathan Hale = having Drake's name and looks like Cole, but nowhere near likable as them). That is literally the Only complain about the game. Everything else is a blast!

Everything else is a blast! The variety is what impressed me the most. The game-play sections, guns (so cool!) and enemy types and boss fights which include Titans, Sharks, Zombies, Dinosaurs, Krakens and a goddamn Godzilla (they're just Chimeras, I'm just giving names! ). Both Ally and Enemy AI are superb with actual help from allies and the enemies using cover and flanking. Graphics considering it's from 2008 still stand out beautifully especially the environments.

On top of the mind-blowing campaign, is the enjoyable multiplayer with up to 64 players (yes, 64 on PS3 back in '08) which surprisingly is still active!

The game literally screams Epic right from the moment u pick up the box with one of the best cover arts I've seen! Another PS3 Exclusive that is pure quality! It's a shame that Insomniac Games is now working on an XBox One exclusive, but I still hope Resistance 4 will come on PS4!

Verdict : 9.5/10
  8. Apr 29, 2011
    I know the game is very old by now, but I was browsing the site and couldn't believe this low score. The single player game was great. Very fun, and at times rather scary. While the story wasn't perfect, I disagree that it was just "see this bad guy and kill him". I thought it was very playable and enjoyable. The multiplayer was average at best and was the real shortcoming of theI know the game is very old by now, but I was browsing the site and couldn't believe this low score. The single player game was great. Very fun, and at times rather scary. While the story wasn't perfect, I disagree that it was just "see this bad guy and kill him". I thought it was very playable and enjoyable. The multiplayer was average at best and was the real shortcoming of the game. BUT the single player made it worth the cost alone. I will be purchasing Resistance 3 simply because I liked this game so much. Expand
  9. Oct 3, 2011
    This game is very intense and has an incredible "old school feel" without being dated.
    After I experienced the game I totally agree with Classic Game Room's review (check it on youtube) and I truly believe Resistance is a underrated game series. I am not a big fun of modern military FPS, but as an older gamer I enjoyed sci-fi, horror, comedy and more unique FPSs for years and because of that, Resistance and Bioshock brought back my interest and enjoyment with shooters.
    Intense shooting and interesting story, huge and expressive bosses and creatures, that "60's sci-fi movies feel", epic battles and an incredible multiplayer (it would be even better if the game had more popularity) are details that make Resistance 2 a pretty good game in my opinion.
  10. Dec 21, 2013
    I enjoyed playing this game more than the first one, mainly because the campaign was much more epic. The number of enemies and amount of action going on at any one time is tremendous and really pulls you into feeling like you are in a war. Fighting huge enemy bosses was also very cool, reminds me of old school games. The story was a nice continuation from the first game and the graphicsI enjoyed playing this game more than the first one, mainly because the campaign was much more epic. The number of enemies and amount of action going on at any one time is tremendous and really pulls you into feeling like you are in a war. Fighting huge enemy bosses was also very cool, reminds me of old school games. The story was a nice continuation from the first game and the graphics and sound are a lot better.

There are some changes I didn't care for. I missed the gun wheel, the health packs, and the loss of vehicle play. These made resistance 2 feel more like other games. Other than that I really enjoyed everything else about the game and continue to highly recommend it.
  11. Mar 6, 2012
    What a great game... I cant believe how some people gave this game such low scores! Its an AWESOME! game.. I recommend this game to every PS3 owner gamer out there.
  12. Mar 6, 2012
    great game! I cant believe how some people gave this game such low scores! Its an AWESOME! game.. I recommend this game to every "REAL" gamer out there.
  13. Nov 11, 2011
    Very good game with a great story. Story is well written and a definite improvement over the last game in the series. Lots of fun weapons to play with, but the weapon wheel has been replace by the two weapon system found in most games. Lots of variety in levels and enemies, resulting in an unpredictable and thrilling experience. Co-op is great in this game and gives you a leveling systemVery good game with a great story. Story is well written and a definite improvement over the last game in the series. Lots of fun weapons to play with, but the weapon wheel has been replace by the two weapon system found in most games. Lots of variety in levels and enemies, resulting in an unpredictable and thrilling experience. Co-op is great in this game and gives you a leveling system which will keep you playing for a good amount of time. Multiplayer is better than ever with big team matches and lots of unlocks and upgrades to keep you entertained. Expand
  14. Nov 18, 2012
    This game is much better then the second one. I disagree with all the negative reviews here. Gears of war is too stupid for me to get into. This however is much better.
  15. Jul 22, 2012
    Loved the game.

If only there was 8 player co-op, and 64-player multi-player on Resistance 3 I would of got it... Its like if they Zombies from Call of Duty - worst choice ever.
  16. Dec 27, 2012
    i discovered resistance 3 by accident, so i decided to play resistance 1 and resistance 2 as well. there is no way this game sucks. it was more fun than the other 2, and i liked them as well. but this game had so much fun stuff in it with the monsters and the vehicles. maybe i am naive, but i definitely see some haters and trolls knocking this game beyond a reasonable complaint. ifi discovered resistance 3 by accident, so i decided to play resistance 1 and resistance 2 as well. there is no way this game sucks. it was more fun than the other 2, and i liked them as well. but this game had so much fun stuff in it with the monsters and the vehicles. maybe i am naive, but i definitely see some haters and trolls knocking this game beyond a reasonable complaint. if you are like me and are searching for a new game that you haven't played that doesn't suck, this is one fun game. Expand
  17. Mar 25, 2013
    8-Presentation; The story is not as good as the first game, but the menu's are well laid out and easy to navigate.
    9.5-Graphics; Beautiful art style, amazing models and textures, and amazing scope.
    10-Sound; The music, sfx, and voice acting is excellent. 9-Game play; The AI is much better this time around, but no vehicle segments sadly. However, the mechanics are so well done.
    10-Sound; The music, sfx, and voice acting is excellent.
    9-Lasting appeal; Single player, co-op, and multiplayer will take forever to unlock everything you can.
    Overall-9/10
  18. Apr 12, 2013
    Dont be fooled by the poor user rating this game is a solid 8.5 to 9.0. Great frame rate, very nice graphics and good control. I was pleasantly supprised by this game. I would have rated in higher with maybe more weapon upgrades. More open level design, this is a very linear game it's main downfall in my opinion. I will say the single play is a lot of fun, you will most likely want toDont be fooled by the poor user rating this game is a solid 8.5 to 9.0. Great frame rate, very nice graphics and good control. I was pleasantly supprised by this game. I would have rated in higher with maybe more weapon upgrades. More open level design, this is a very linear game it's main downfall in my opinion. I will say the single play is a lot of fun, you will most likely want to finish this game. I have spent a small amount of time on the multiplayer so far it's above average. I have not played it enough to form a solid opion. You can pick this game up cheap at gamestop used well worth it. Expand
  19. May 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The single player is epic in scope and in story, which is practically worth the price of admission by itself. Then you throw in the extremely engaging co-op and competitive play, which expands on replayability in just about every way possible. Toss in a generous number of unlockables, trophies and community support, and you've got a phenomenal experience. Expand
  20. Apr 6, 2014
    The best console shooter i've played. Neat setting, cool guns, nice story, giant bosses. Enjoying multiplayer (too bad it's pulled off on 8th of april, but you can sstil try to play splitscreen co-op).

It has some strange nods to CoD with 2 weapon slots, but there are always few guns lying under your feet. And health regen, well, no big deal. If you haven't played Resistance games,

If you haven't played Resistance games, it's probably best to start with the 1st to keep up with the story.
  21. May 28, 2013
    After Resistance FoM, I was hoping this game would be really good and capture the same feel as the first one. Did it fully capture it? For the most part yes. The story was wonderfully put together, with great characters, plot, set pieces, and AI.
    The MP was of course of the chains. With the massive matches going on and crazy clan battles, the game was great. The new COOP experience was great as well. The only down side was the lack of support by Insomniac. No new COOP DLC, and well over priced maps for MP. But there was no incentive to get those DLCs.
    Aside from that, the problems that existed were with the somewhat cartoonish graphics, bodies exploding in to the chunks of intestines and organs, no arms or legs, those were rare when it came to certain enemies. In Multiplayer there were only organs all over the place. The fire physics and textures in this installment were terrible. The did a great job on the water physics. To some people these are laughable things to pick on, but when you are looking for a good looking game, these things count.
    Over all the game was enjoyable, great story, great graphics, characters you could relate and care about.
    There was a lot of hate on this game because it was nothing like Resistance Fall of Man. But truthfully it was more of a Resistance title than Resistance 3.
  22. Sep 29, 2013
    "Resistance 2" en mi opinión tuvo la capacidad de afrontar la nueva generación, después de una encantadora primera parte ("Fall of Man"). Si gustan del género de videojuegos ciencia ficción y first person shooter, te prometo que será bienvenido a tu colección de juegos de PlayStation 3. Alrededor del juego hay muchas sorpresas y sin hablar del final que es excelente. Por otro lado, un"Resistance 2" en mi opinión tuvo la capacidad de afrontar la nueva generación, después de una encantadora primera parte ("Fall of Man"). Si gustan del género de videojuegos ciencia ficción y first person shooter, te prometo que será bienvenido a tu colección de juegos de PlayStation 3. Alrededor del juego hay muchas sorpresas y sin hablar del final que es excelente. Por otro lado, un multijugador excelente y uno de mis juegos favoritos del año 2008. Expand
  23. Jun 13, 2014
    I love this game and I recommend it to any one, its got a great action-horror atmosphere and lovely graphics. The fact that this game is more linear and only allows you to carry two guns doesn't mean the game sucks , each and every gun is cool in its own way and especially the enemies and the co-op system is another great way for every one to enjoy the game and its story.
  24. Jul 26, 2014
    This was by far my favourite game on PS3 and the nearest FPS to get near the Half Life series. Wish it would come over to PS4, then I would have some use for the console.

2. It succeeds because it doesn’t just try to throw more humans into the same old environments and gameplay. It offers a smart three class system that encourages savvy team-work, an experience meter that builds to enable special attacks and uses levels designed specifically for the mode to maximise the resulting gameplay. It also dynamically shifts the action to take into account the number and skill of players in each game, making for near endless replayability. It’s a hit, pure and simple.
    Resistance 2 is gutsier, it’s gorier, and it’s much, much bigger.