3.9

1. Aug 16, 2014
    Heyyo, this is another broken Risen game... Pirana Bytes yet again seem to never learn their damn lessons... enemies attack in 1/10th of a second yet the player has a full second animation on his sword swing... brutal.
  2. Aug 27, 2014
    This is why we play videogames! I LOVE IT! Rpg lovers, get this game asap! It's so much fun! Beautiful world! Skyrim eat your hearth out! Thank you so much Piranha Bytes for this gem!!!
  3. Oct 25, 2014
    The game is awful !!! It is so repetitive,buggy ass release and with it's extreme repetitiveness it is one of the worst rpg's I played on the ps3.Just like Risen and Risen 2 the game is just an extreme big cash in.It is awful and please do not buy it.And graphics... they are even worse than the first Risen.The game is just bad,don't waste your money on it
  4. Aug 13, 2014
    Se nota, la poca bola que le dan a la pasada generación de consolas! Risen 3: Titan Lords es realmente malo! este juego es pésimo gráficamente y técnicamente, con un control tosco muy malo!
  5. Aug 13, 2014
    The only positive for this game is the opportunity to show developers that we refuse to pay for garbage. There is so much wrong with this game I can hardly begin. It fails in every key aspect upon which games are judged: Graphics are at dated by at least 6 years, voice acting sounds like a 5th grade play rehearsal, more simplistic combat than a Dynasty warriors game, and the list goes onThe only positive for this game is the opportunity to show developers that we refuse to pay for garbage. There is so much wrong with this game I can hardly begin. It fails in every key aspect upon which games are judged: Graphics are at dated by at least 6 years, voice acting sounds like a 5th grade play rehearsal, more simplistic combat than a Dynasty warriors game, and the list goes on and on. However in certain situations these basics can be overlooked if a game is FUN. Unfortunately this is not one of those cases because it most definitely is not enjoyable in any way. Who makes the 1 attack button the same to pick things up? Why litter the floor with single gold coins to pick up when chests have them by the thousands? Instead of a mini map there's an item wheel? I don't know if its lazy or stupid or what but it should be clear how frustrated I am at this point. I've already put it down 5 times in the first hour but kept trying to see if it got better like Two Worlds 2 but it hasn't and has given no indication that it will. This is a downloadable title from an indie team at best and at worst, I don't know, euthanasia, roaches, carrottop. Or find out for yourself, whatever.... Expand
  6. Aug 25, 2014
    RPG is my favourite genre for games, i'll play even crappy games, but this is so crap I couldn't play more than an hour. Wasted my money. Worse graphics and gameplay I've seen since PS1. Don't be fooled by how it looks on trailers for PC, it's not the same on PS3. Don't waste money on it.
  7. Sep 15, 2014
    Having a liking for ranged attacks,I plumped for shotguns and muskets,---bad choice !!!---since,if you inadvertently fire before the orange circle is complete,the game freezes,and one is forced to start again by switching the PS3 back on. This has happened more than twenty times,and one is then forced to simply use a sword instead of a firearm------it makes a mockery of the wholeHaving a liking for ranged attacks,I plumped for shotguns and muskets,---bad choice !!!---since,if you inadvertently fire before the orange circle is complete,the game freezes,and one is forced to start again by switching the PS3 back on. This has happened more than twenty times,and one is then forced to simply use a sword instead of a firearm------it makes a mockery of the whole game,---am very disappointed. Incidentally,I am 78 years old,so therefore have lots of patience,but this is just too much. Expand
  8. Oct 9, 2014
    If you haven't played any of the other Pirhana Bytes games and thus don't know what to expect from them, I don't know what to tell you about Risen 3. Those of us who enjoy the developer's titles are prepared to look past certain technical issues with all of their games. Granted, a developer that's been around for a decade or more should have a better handle on when a game is finished orIf you haven't played any of the other Pirhana Bytes games and thus don't know what to expect from them, I don't know what to tell you about Risen 3. Those of us who enjoy the developer's titles are prepared to look past certain technical issues with all of their games. Granted, a developer that's been around for a decade or more should have a better handle on when a game is finished or not by now but that's wishful thinking.

Risen 3 introduces a new main character (and so far doesn't explain what happened to the previous one) and a few new islands to explore but for the most part the characters and locations are the same as in Risen 2 albeit much more beautifully presented. PB's voice acting and scripts are getting consistently better and this is the creme de la creme of their releases in that department. I am not sure why they decided to get rid of the combat system from Risen 2 and create a brand new one because Risen 2's worked really well compared to the Gothic series (and I include Risen 1 in that category). Combat in Risen 3 is frustrating and slow paced with your human enemies blocking every swing until you magically get one through. They brought magic back in this release but I've had such a poor experience with magic in all of the Gothic and Risen games that I haven't even given it a try yet. Muskets and shotguns still seem to be the way to go for combat in Risen 3.

Visually the game is awesome and on par with all but high budget games like Skyrim (and it's pretty close). The major complaint I have about this game is the pacing. Risen 2 had a lot of interesting side quests and treasure hunts you could do to fill time and although Risen 3 does as well they simply aren't as fun. The quick travel system has been redone and is frankly annoying. You have to find teleport stones and bring them to teleport shrines to power them up rather than just finding the quick travel spot.

If you are new to PB games I'd suggest you start with Risen 1 or Risen 2 (both radically different games but much more fun than Risen 3). If you are already a fan of Pirhana Bytes then you probably already own Risen 3 and no amount of negative reviews from people who simply "don't get it" isn't going to turn you off.

1. It felt genuinely good to not be playing it anymore, and that is a rare thing in games nowadays. [Oct 2014, p.92]
  2. Sep 18, 2014
    One of the worst ports we've ever played, Risen 3 is a[n] ugly, buggy mess on PS3 that, when added to the awful combat, results in a poor game. [Issue#248, p.72]
  3. Sep 5, 2014
    Risen 3: Titan Lords disappoints on even the most basic elements, which perhaps with a little more time could've been fixed. It's a shame, because we can tell that deep inside lays a game that tries to offer hundreds of hours of fun. Sadly, though, the only surprising thing about this is that it found its way to the shelves.