Skate 3 PlayStation 3

7.6

1. May 11, 2017
    I want to love Skate 3, and heck it has everything it should need to be a great game. The first time I played this game I absolutely loved it, I thought it was an solid all around improvement over Skate 1 and 2 due to the new "hardcore" physics. However, any fun that is to be had is quickly lost once you are required to perform multiple tricks in one location in order to pass a challenge.I want to love Skate 3, and heck it has everything it should need to be a great game. The first time I played this game I absolutely loved it, I thought it was an solid all around improvement over Skate 1 and 2 due to the new "hardcore" physics. However, any fun that is to be had is quickly lost once you are required to perform multiple tricks in one location in order to pass a challenge. This is when the fun killing NPC's walk in and destroy the game like a wrecking ball. No joke, the NPC's will crowd around any object you need to trick off of, or grind on once you start doing a challenge. At one point in time, I literally had every single NPC in an entire vicinity for where I was at in the game crowding around a rail I had to do multiple grinds on in order to beat a challenge, and their crowding made me continuously fail due to the fact that I kept smacking into the NPC's. By the way, when you accidentally run into an NPC in this game, they will sometimes chase after you, prevent you from respawning, and knock you down yet again afterwards. Worse yet, they all seem to wander around the object you need to trick on aimlessly, even after you restart the challenge. So thanks to the god awful AI, you wind up losing challenges. This becomes frustrating all too quickly due to the fact that getting around the NPC's quickly becomes the greatest challenge in the game. So there. This game might be fantastic if you unlock everything right away and simply play in free skate the entire time. However, if you are looking for a changing and/or fun game to play outside of free skate, look elsewhere. Pros: - Fantastic graphics. No joke, they're top notch, big improvement over the original skate and skate 2. - Improved physics, you can now chose 3 difficulty settings for the physics, the "hardcore" setting makes the game noticeably more realistic - Generally good level design, an improvement over Skate 2. - Good single player... if only you could enjoy it. Cons: - The fact that the NPC's (non-playable characters) are able to destroy the fun factor of the single player portion of the game. - The fact that EA clearly enjoys nickel and diming you for every single piece of online related content they can. Expand

Between the consistent improvement of the game's core concepts, and the Black Box's encouraged experimentation, Skate remains in a genre all on its own, but only time will tell if continued re-iteration will cause this still fresh series to stagnate.
  2. And custom content is really where Skate 3 shines. EA has provided a massive toolbox for creating and sharing elaborate skate parks using the title’s new skate.Park feature.
  3. While this latest title doesn’t take any huge risks, I would argue that’s a good thing. Skate has always been one of those rare games where you can just aimlessly play with no goals or objectives.