Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 PlayStation 3

6.2

1. Apr 3, 2013
    Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 is a decent game that any hardcore sniper enthusiast should own. Not because it is groundbreaking or a solid game, but rather because games with decent sniping mechanics are hard to find these days. When you are looking through your scope at enemies, the game is great. Distance, angle, wind speed, target movement, heart rate/breathing, and trigger-jerk (i.e. gentlySniper Ghost Warrior 2 is a decent game that any hardcore sniper enthusiast should own. Not because it is groundbreaking or a solid game, but rather because games with decent sniping mechanics are hard to find these days. When you are looking through your scope at enemies, the game is great. Distance, angle, wind speed, target movement, heart rate/breathing, and trigger-jerk (i.e. gently and gradually pulling the trigger) must be accounted for, adding depth and a realism to the experience, making the game much more challenging and fun. However, when not looking through the scope of your sniper rifle, the game shows its many faults. Not getting into too much detail, the stealth is mediocre compared to current gen standards, graphics are underwhelming (although I must admit that the guns look great), friendly A.I. is pretty poor (they are more likely to hinder you and get you killed than provide support), singleplayer campaign suffers from a lot of "hiccups" or drops in frame-rate and has a number of severe bugs (one checkpoint required me to cover my teammates by eliminating targets, but for some reason my gun was missing; I was forced to restart from the last checkpoint before it gave me my gun back. I have experienced a lot of bugs similar to this, one of the weirdest being all the enemies missing from a level...), and finally the very frustrating inability to use your bipod whenever you want (you can only use it during certain "set-pieces"). Multiplayer is a refreshing experience, and stays true to sniping. I have really enjoyed the sniper duels that occur during online play. A couple of complaints are the lack of levels and modes (only two maps and one mode), lack of weapon customization, inclusion of the red dot that shows where your bullet will strike (this takes the challenge and intensity out of the game, however I've heard rumors that a patch with a "hardcore" mode is on the way that will remove this red dot cheat), and occasionally while crawling when prone my character will randomly stand up and give away my position (this is quite annoying). In summary, Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 is a cool concept that was executed very poorly. However, when looking through the scope of your rifle the game is pretty fun. Overall, I would recommend buying the game once the price drops to $20, and only if you have the heart of a true sniper. Expand
  2. Apr 11, 2013
    Not a bad game but suffers from trying to copy call of duty. No bad thing but it doesn't work. Try the first game first as this is cheaper and at least a 9/10. Looks fantastic but a bit too linear and staged rather than allowing you to roam and enjoy.

1. Play UK
    Apr 23, 2013
    A budget shooter in every sense. [Issue#230, p.72]
  2. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Apr 22, 2013
    The downside of this more deliberate pacing is that the lack of variation. Every mission goes as follows: take out a few guys or sneak past them if there are too many, get to a high vantage point, rain death from above. Not the worst design in the world, but pretty predictable. [April 2013, p.86]
  3. Apr 21, 2013
    Ghost Warrior will not stay in anyone's memory and probably is more worth playing the few sniper missions than other FPSs already have. It should be more fun.