6.0

1. Jul 27, 2012
    Sniper: Ghost Warrior is a game plagued by faults, some small and relatively forgettable, and others much larger which seriously interfere with gameplay. Probably the biggest, not to mention most annoying, fault is the Save Checkpoints. These appear very frequently. While some may think that this is a good feature, I do not, for this reason- every single time you reach a new Checkpoint the game freezes for about 3-5 seconds. This really interferes with your fun, as it drags you out of the game and interrupts what can, occasionally, be a gripping sequence of events. Next, is the barrage of invisible barriers/walls that you will find within the game. These appear in what seem to be random locations and often stop you from reaching that perfect sniping spot that you can see. I find it hard to believe that this highly trained Sniper cannot somehow climb over a small rock. When you hear the word 'sniper', what words come to mind? Covert, silent, stealthy? No, according to this game, words and phrases like 'all guns blazing' and 'open fire' are what sniping is all about. You can definitely see that the Devs behind SGW have taken a page out of Infinity Wards books. The hectic mix and sudden change between silent and stealthy to loud and action filled works for the CoD franchise but not for Sniper Ghost Warrior. Lastly, one of the most minor, yet still irritating, faults is the amount of bad spelling and grammar and subtitles not matching with the actual dialogue. For example, during the first section of the game, the words 'don't let your target see you' or spoken but 'don't let your pray see you' is shown on subtitles. Yes, this is a very small issue and easily ignorable, but I thought it warranted a mention. All in all, Sniper Ghost Warrior had it in it to be a fantastic, stealthy game, but it falls short in so many areas. The constant interruptions from Checkpoint freezes to the disappointing, 2006 graphics make this game a chore to play, or as I should say, work through. Expand
  2. Jun 10, 2012
    To start off I can't see the people I'm supposed to shoot during
    Every single mission accept there guns on most enemies. It seems like they have some crazy cloaking device which is not true and don't get me started with the checkpoints every time u get to a meter marker. I honestly think the people that made this game should go shoot them selves for making such a **** gay that is 3 hours
    long which blows. The feel of the guns are good and the environments are nice at some points but overall I gave this game a 2 and I suggest you should NOT PLAY THIS GAME!!! Expand
  3. Aug 11, 2011
    The game is graphically quite bad but the "sniping" physics are impressive. The game ceases to impress me and has a lack of action. Some of the missions are nigh impossible on "Hard" but it is a lot of fun until you notice you can't do something. After your 4th-5th attempt you get bored and turn the PlayStation off.

A problem I noticed when playing the game was that you could never see
    your enemies, even when they can see you! Like a few times, I was hiding behind a near opaque bush, and an enemy started firing at me, whom I didn't even see. The game is very realistic, (you have low health, the enemies die in one shot etc) but the game creators did over-do it with the gun kickback. fire more than 2 bullets out of an assault rifle and it becomes incredibly hard to aim, to much so. I noticed this when doing the first tutorial. The game is rather misleading as on the back cover you see an action packed game with amazing graphics. but all those images on the back are just loading screen backgrounds or intro film screen shots. As I said, the actual game has quite poor graphics, that of an early PS3 game.

If I were to describe the quality of the graphics in detail I would say that the plants look very fuzzy and when you lie down it still feels like you're crouching. Most of the plants seem to be able to move through objects as they sway into an out-of buildings and other scenery.

Overall, this is worth a play but wait until it goes down in price to around £15.99 because only then will it be good value for money
  4. Jun 30, 2011
    Let me preface this short opinion-piece on SNIPER: Ghost Warrior with an observation after having played the XBOX 360 version last year, at least 'til I encountered a gamestopper prior to the patch: yes, it's better; but, not by much. SNIPER is still bogged down by the leash of mediocrity and missed opportunities.

Muddy textures, pop-in and other odd visual quirks are accentuated by
    often poor FPS. While the AI has been modified, op-for still perform like clowns at the circus, they either can target and hit your toon from across the map with an assault rifle or they stand mute, ignorant and complacent while you pop a melon right in front of 'em. Stiff and jerky animations prevail with your sniper getting stuck on environmental objects frequently. Op-for spawn into the level from out-of-bounds areas based upon trigger points and checkpoints can be triggered when your sniper is low on health or surrounded for a sharp lesson in "die and retry" savegame mechanics. What is odd, is that the rope and climbing bugs from the first version have been ironed-out and almost work, in a clunky, undesirable manner. And, while your sniper might rappel down the side of cliff overhangs, he simply canNOT mantle over small objects such as waist-high fences or foliage. Sometimes, a ladder might be climb-able and other times, not. Ladder climbing is a Half-Life affair as your sniper magically floats up the rungs of any ladder. Crawling is equally underdeveloped with your sniper's rifle floating, nearly stationary, while your toon fumbles about. However, the devs DID make it possible to crawl on top of a roof system and fire downward at odd angles for easier targeting. BUT, the most annoying idiosyncratic oddity with SNIPER (for me) will be your toon's incessant snorting, huffing and puffing while in scopeview. In addition to severe asthma, your sniper will wobble the scope to and fro, up and down without respite until you push the requisite button. More "game-y" and annoying, this minigame reminded me of a 4 year old waving about their first camera phone. Add to this frustration, the lensview of the scope suffers from major pop-in and muddy textures so that when sighting, you will have to wait while the textures resolve into something intelligible. Often, I would target some op-for and by the time he was redrawn for scope view, he'd changed position so I wasn't able to take the shot. The overall stealth mechanics of SNIPER are fiddly and unconvincing. Enemies do not seemingly patrol routes, they stand and wait. They never group their forces to hunt you down, either. One HUGE complaint is the many clipping issues that you will likely encounter. Targeting is hit or miss, pardon the pun, but while your sniper can occasionally target and hit through semi-hard surfaces, FORGET about tagging an op-for hiding behind a fern. Bullet trajectories, seemingly, cannot traverse environmental areas with a high density of foliage. No, not trees, -ferns and bushes. Correct, you cannot shoot through a fern. Op-for, in fact, will hide behind bushes and fern-like plants. So, for all the devs bravado over "realism" SNIPER cannot shoot through many of the plants on display. :(

Sniper Elite for the first XBOX and later, PS2, WAS a very good sniper game with many similar mechanics. It's unfortunate that the devs of this new franchise cannot seem to meld CQB stealth mechanics with long distance sniping.

1. Dec 14, 2011
    Sniper: Ghost Warrior is a game suitable only for fans of the genre. It's a perfect product for people who love calm and strategic shooter, but it is tedious and frustrating for those who do not love him.
  2. Oct 19, 2011
    Although the art of sniping has transformed into a game quite nicely, the other aspects don't compliment the fine mechanics of long distance shooting. Superhuman AI is the biggest issue, because green-dressed soldiers with x-ray vision mixed in green jungle make it almost impossible to stay alive. [June 2011]
  3. Aug 15, 2011
    Going into Sniper: Ghost Warrior with fairly low expectations, you may find yourself pleasantly surprised. Despite some of the heavy-handed mechanics and under-developed online portion there is still an enjoyable experience to be had.