6.5

1. Jun 17, 2012
    Sonic 4: Episode II is a solid title but held back from greatness by some major faults. The good stuff first; with charismatic visuals, a kick ass soundtrack and much more original content, Episode II improves upon it's predecessor in almost every way. It's just a flat-out better game than episode I. That said, Episode II sees Sega continuing their needlessly frustrating experimentationSonic 4: Episode II is a solid title but held back from greatness by some major faults. The good stuff first; with charismatic visuals, a kick ass soundtrack and much more original content, Episode II improves upon it's predecessor in almost every way. It's just a flat-out better game than episode I. That said, Episode II sees Sega continuing their needlessly frustrating experimentation with the Sonic formula. The tag team moves seem harmless enough until Sega repeatedly force you to use them by way of ultra-linear set pieces. These sequences are so tightly scripted that if you deviate or make a mistake, even for a microsecond, you die. This results in a LOT of trial & error as you try to fathom exactly what move is required where and with almost zero time time to do so. Because of this, the game feels very old-school and has the brutal difficulty to match. This is hardcore Sonic for hardcore Sonic fans. If you are such a fan (as I am) Sonic 4: Episode II is a fun, compulsive game. If you're not then this isn't the Sonic game to change your mind and you'd probably do better to look elsewhere. Expand
  2. Jun 2, 2012
    This is one of the best Sonic games i have ever seen in my entire life! This is way better then episode 1, even tough i liked that game as well. I strongly recommended to any Sonic fan.
  3. May 24, 2012
    I really appreciate the work SEGA has done in this sequel!

- (9) Great graphics - (7) Good music (except the Dr. Robotnic/Eggman theme, it is short and loops too much) - (9) Great gameplay worthy of the "classic" status - (8) Good length (getting all the emeralds is hard) Overall "(8,5)" p.s. The game really worths a 8.5 but I rated a 10 for all those who rate this game without a solid
    I really appreciate the work SEGA has done in this sequel!

- (9) Great graphics
    - (9) Great gameplay worthy of the "classic" status
    - (8) Good length (getting all the emeralds is hard)

Overall "(8,5)"

p.s. The game really worths a 8.5 but I rated a 10 for all those who rate this game without a solid thought, and also the Sonic haters and trolls.
  4. May 20, 2012
    It's a great Sonic game. It can be a little frustrating and repetitive at times, but otherwise, it lives up to it's name, unlike it's predecessor.
  5. May 18, 2012
    Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 is a good game, but not really an improvement over Episode 1. The gameplay is fun and does has more originality to it, and we have Tails who actually helps you! The physics really improved over Episode 1 and yes it's not like the genesis games, but it shows the developers were really trying, and I'm happy with it. The special stages are kinda fun as well.Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 is a good game, but not really an improvement over Episode 1. The gameplay is fun and does has more originality to it, and we have Tails who actually helps you! The physics really improved over Episode 1 and yes it's not like the genesis games, but it shows the developers were really trying, and I'm happy with it. The special stages are kinda fun as well. There were some problems though, the game still feels automated sometimes mainly because of the over saturation of speed boosters. The controls take some time to get used to and Tails is used a bit too much. But still the gameplay is great. The graphics look gorgeous and it is a huge improvement over Episode 1. The level design is great as well but still it's too automated sometimes. The music sounds better and actually sounds like a genesis game, but still there were some parts of the music that sounded bad and the songs were too short, but it's still good, but to be honest, I like Episode 1's music better. The sound effects are still classic! This game has a bit more content then Episode 1, multiplayer online and offline, red rings, and a little more! The game is kinda short, but it's only an episode. Overall, Sonic 4 Episode 2 was a good game and I did enjoy it. It's still too automated at times but still it's kinda worth your $15.00. I'll give it an 80. Expand
  6. May 18, 2012
    There are undeniably some flaws, but Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II isn't a game I regret purchasing. Having read a few less-than-flattering reviews beforehand though, it's a game I almost avoided, despite my excitement leading up to the release; I took a risk and downloaded the game anyway despite those poor reviews and I'm glad that I did. Some of the tunes are in fact pretty catchy,There are undeniably some flaws, but Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II isn't a game I regret purchasing. Having read a few less-than-flattering reviews beforehand though, it's a game I almost avoided, despite my excitement leading up to the release; I took a risk and downloaded the game anyway despite those poor reviews and I'm glad that I did. Some of the tunes are in fact pretty catchy, especially that of the Oil Refinery levels, though I have to agree with the general consensus of the boss battle theme being downright awful. Animation is slick and there are a few moments of brilliance sprinkled throughout the adventure. It saddens me that there likely won't be an Episode III due to the mediocre reviews that this game is getting, but I look forward to revisiting Episode II from time to time. MY GRADE: 8/10! Expand
  7. May 17, 2012
    Honestly people are so unwilling to give Sonic a chance. This game murders Episode 1, and exceeds in every way that Episode 1 did and didn't. Of course the game isn't perfect, for example on boss fights there is an insanely amount of rings provided which kills all the difficulty the boss brings(even though you will appreciate this later when you get all chaos emeralds)!! But in return youHonestly people are so unwilling to give Sonic a chance. This game murders Episode 1, and exceeds in every way that Episode 1 did and didn't. Of course the game isn't perfect, for example on boss fights there is an insanely amount of rings provided which kills all the difficulty the boss brings(even though you will appreciate this later when you get all chaos emeralds)!! But in return you get superb graphics, great design, and lots of speed (not as fast as the Classic Sonic from Generations though)! I love this game because it introduces things I've never seen before in the series. It has some slight downfalls that keep it from being great, but it's a solid sequel that I will play over and over, and in my opinion that's the definition of a good game... ;) Expand
  8. May 17, 2012
    Sonic 4 Episode 2 isn't as good as Sega promised but it is a good game. Sonic Team needs more ambition and has to do a fine tuning in Sonic games. Coop with a friend as Tails is fun.
  9. May 17, 2012
    Sonic fanboys will probably hate me for saying this, but I don't think Sonic 4 deserves it's title so far. While Episode II is an improvement over Episode I and is a lot of fun, both episodes have failed to capture the magic of the classics. Let's explore a little bit deeper.

First and foremost, I will talk about the physics. The physics are one of the crucial elements in a Sonic game, 2D or 3D, and Sonic 4: Episode II lives up to this well. Sonic feels surprisingly nice to control and everything feels a lot more smooth than Episode I. The rolling, however, still doesn't work properly. Sonic only picks up a little bit of momentum even when you hold forward while performing it and on half of the slopes on the game, it works just as badly as it did in Episode I.

I've no idea why the developers of Sonic games these days can't get rolling right. Ever since the end of the Advance series, rolling is pretty much pointless these days and that's not how it should be. Rolling was an awesome and fun way to earn speed effectively in the classics and it's a shame that it can't be put to use like that anymore.

The graphics are excellent. This is a major improvement over Episode I - everything pops out and looks clean, fresh and realistic. No longer does Sonic run over plastic grass but he now runs through achingly pretty, fully rendered, 3D environments. The only real criticism I have on the graphics is the lack of anti-aliasing. Some of the edges look really rough, like on a Wii game at times. I don't know why it wasn't included, it's not as if the PS3 can't handle it, after all. Nevertheless, great job, DIMPS.

The music is... disappointing, to say the least. There are no longer dying cats in the melodies, which is a definite positive, but some of the tracks sound so repetitive and boring, it's easy to fall asleep. Don't get me wrong - there are some great tunes in the game, my favourites being the Metal Sonic boss fight and Sky Fortress Act 2, but c'mon, Jun Senoue. You've done better.

The level design is... OK. It doesn't flat out suck but nor does it shine. There's a good amount of platforming involved, which is great, but there's a lack of multiple routes and exploration going on and the amount of times the game plays itself for you is ridiculous. There's loads of speed boosters everywhere and so many springs. It's like they were trying to turn the game into a movie.

What I hate just as much is the use of the homing attack. This move is simply a stupid idea for a 2D Sonic game. Is it REALLY that difficult to jump on an enemy? That's how it was done in the classics, the Advance trilogy and even the freaking Sonic Rush games. This wouldn't be so terrible if it wasn't forced upon you! Seriously, there's always a chain of stationary Bubbles badniks flying in the air for you to use your attack on. It's REQUIRED to beat the game. WHY?! What if I don't WANT to?

This also extends on into the combo moves. With Tails with you, you can now do a load of combo moves like flying or doing a 69-roll of death. Some of these moves are pretty handy and fun to use, like the submarine combo, but others kinda... suck. The 69-roll, like the homing attack, is forced upon you and it's very overpowered.

A nice feature with Episode II is the ability to play with another person either locally or online. It's great fun to play with and it's probably the mode I play the most on now. The problem with it though is that you are forced to have both players on screen at the same time, even when online. I don't know why split-screen wasn't implemented but it's not that terrible if I'm honest. Just a tad frustrating at times.

Overall, Sonic 4: Episode II is a fun title (with some great plot elements, I must add), but this game doesn't deserve it's title. It's not a bad game, but it will probably be forgotten in 10 years time, unlike Sonic 1, 2, CD and 3&K. I give the title a 6/10 and if you want to have a nice little platformer on your console, go ahead.
  10. May 16, 2012
    Sonic 4: Episode 2 is absolutely awesome. In terms of a good review, it was inevitable that the first episode would get praise for being the first of its kind. So with episode 2, expectations were high for me, especially considering the 2 year wait I had to endure. Nevertheless though, I believe the controls, graphics, and gameplay have been drastically improved. The addition of Tails isSonic 4: Episode 2 is absolutely awesome. In terms of a good review, it was inevitable that the first episode would get praise for being the first of its kind. So with episode 2, expectations were high for me, especially considering the 2 year wait I had to endure. Nevertheless though, I believe the controls, graphics, and gameplay have been drastically improved. The addition of Tails is truly marvelous as I am now less prone to dying in bottomless pits. I like that Sonic Team kept the controls simple, while still adding new abilities that combine tails and his unique abilities. Even though the controls aren't exactly what the genesis controls are, I can see that a lot of work went into making it like the old genesis games. And hey, after all the bad Sonic games that have come out over the years, I think any Sonic fan will smile when they get their hands on this one. My biggest complaint, is probably the lack of rewards. Unlike episode 1 (which was also lacking in rewards btw), there is virtually no preview of whats to come in next episode after the credits roll. I think my biggest compliment to this game is how creative the bosses are. The bosses, and the levels, feel very new and fresh. The special stages, while frustrating at times, are very fun. I also have to mention the music; As always, its pretty awesome and I think anyone who has played Big the cat's first stage and Sonic CD will hear some solid music references to past games. Overall, this is a fantastic addition to the Sonic 4 saga, and I hope to see episode 3 very soon...hopefully less than 2 years from now... Expand
  11. May 15, 2012
    Although there was made improvements (Such as graphics and plot), Sonic 4 Episode Two shamefully brings more of the same disappointment brought by his antecessor. Not only with physics this time. About physics, they were fixed in some points, but later it was revealed that there are scripted speed occurring on the game, again getting to ruin your fun. Tails was another broken promise byAlthough there was made improvements (Such as graphics and plot), Sonic 4 Episode Two shamefully brings more of the same disappointment brought by his antecessor. Not only with physics this time. About physics, they were fixed in some points, but later it was revealed that there are scripted speed occurring on the game, again getting to ruin your fun. Tails was another broken promise by SEGA, they didn't bring him back: they brought Tails as a game gimmick, the worst treatment a character on the Sonic series could ever receive. This is summed up with the horrendous music, the same style was brought back from Episode One. So, it turns out that the game has turned to a sad example of DIMPS' abilities and SEGA's incompetence. Collapse
  12. May 15, 2012

1. Jul 10, 2012
    Don't bother. [Issue#220, p.79]
  2. Episode II is certainly not a bad game, just a little bit uninspired. It also doesn't help that Team Sonic consistently breaks up the (fast) pacing of the game, resulting in quite some frustration. Less frustrating and even fun are the bonus levels who look like they've been hauled over from Sonic 2.[July 2012, p.92]
  3. Jul 2, 2012
    Polished and zippy, but having to give up control in any game is a sign that all isn't well. Sorry Sonic, time to retire. [Aug 2012, p.103]