1.9

Overwhelming dislike- based on 80 Ratings

1. Apr 26, 2014
    LoadCalibur: Lost Connection

When you actually get to play, it's bogged down by so much loading you're wondering if you're playing an hourglass simulator instead. Terrible, botched release. I hope someone gets fired for the sheer astounding level of ineptitude.
  2. May 3, 2014
    I don't always review games, but when I do, I review the 2014 game of the year! Of course I'm talking about Soulcalibur: Lost Swords. Let's talk about the equilibrium this game possesses: story, gameplay, and graphics. It also totally sold me on F2P games. Totally. The story had me tearing up. It's an epic shakespearean story that amounts to me and my friends having deep conversations about the meaning of life! Or why am I still playing this game. Can't recall which one. The story is told to incredible and innovative 4D graphics..not like they would ever use text to tell you whats happening. Nope. Gameplay is tight. Just what you'd expect from a Soulcalibur game. Not that they would use the same mechanics as Soulcalibur 5. Nope. Its graphics, let me tell you, are insane, almost PS4 quality..Not like they would ever use the same graphics as last game.. no sir.. I had to go to the optometrist to make sure I wasn't going crazy. The F2P element is done so well too. The store is cheap!.. only $19.99 for random equipment! A steal!! And that's just one of them. and OH MY GOD!! let me tell you about its NOW LOADING capabilities.. insane! I click on a button and it like goes back in time, its there!! its not like every single time I click ANYTHING a little clock symbol appears for like 10 secs.. and for fights, 30 secs.. and when I'm thinking of not playing this game, 5 seconds..or sometimes what it seems like an eternity. Oh and multiplayer, what an amazing..... wait.. it doesn't even have multiplayer?! The heck is this? I tell you what it is: A lazy cash-in to a popular series. It's an online-only single player fighting game. It loads more times than I care to remember. For the exception of when you're actually fighting, every single time you do anything, it loads. I'm not even going to mention the times I got kicked out of the server. Whatever story there is, is told through text, yes text. It boils down to read text, fight, get equipment, fight some more until you hit a point where it's necessary to either wait or literally buy more things that'll let you play it. The only good thing that I can say about this game is that I played 5 hours without having to pay to continue playing. 5 hours are more than enough to see that this game is worthless. Unless you like a repetitive, bugged down, yesteryear's fighting game.. you should use your time better, like playing Dark Souls 2. At least in that game when I died, it doesn't ask me to pay cash to keep playing. BTW F2P Dark Souls... worst game EVER.. Expand
  3. Apr 29, 2014
    Up until this point, I have had nothing but love for the Soulcalibur franchise. But when someone releases a title that depends 100% on online servers (in order to play a single-player only game, mind you), load times that are combined to be longer than actually playing the game itself, and pay to play encouragement (*cough* The War Z *cough*), this title practically becomes unplayable right from the very start.
    However, when the game rarely does work, what little content and gameplay that's there is actually not that bad, even if it lacks the same level of depth and fairness compared to the rest of the series. All in all, the idea of this little game is great on paper, but they absolutely ruined it by making it "free to play" even if it really isn't so. They should've made this into a $9.99 PSN game with no "pay to play" or online server restrictions, then I definitely would've given it around an estimated 7 and would recommended it for Soulcalibur fans or people who enjoy fighting games.
    If you are a fan, pass. If you're a newcomer, especially pass, because this is a terrible first impression for gamers who've never played the any of these games before. I'm giving this a 1 instead of a 0, only because the combat isn't entirely broken. Play any other Soulcalibur game. This one isn't worth the stress and frustration, even if it starts out as free.
  4. Apr 25, 2014
    Soul Calibur : Lost Swords´╗┐ takes the idea of the mainstream game we're used to and takes a large dump all over it in this Free to Play edition. First off, the popular multiplayer aspect of the game has been completely removed. This leaves you with "Quest Mode", a rather boring attempt at a vague storyline. There are no cut scenes, so you're stuck reading single paragraphs about how you journey takes you to another opponent in the road. Yippe! Load times are abysmal, on average between fights you're looking at 3-5 minute wait, since you are forced to be connected to a server in order to play. On it's actual debut a few days ago, many people couldn't not even play the game due to the massive server issues that kept players from logging on at all. Now it's quite common for you to get ejected back to the load screen between matching due to the same error. Let's say that you actually did manage to connect to matches and it didn't take you all day to connect to the next match, you are still limited by how long you can play due to AP (Action Points). Each Quest costs between 4-9 points so far, and the more you play, then the more you lose. At some point you will have to wait for the AP to recover before you can move on to the next quest (unless you feel like spending real life money on a AP Potion. One of the main selling points of the series has always been customizing and creating your own character to duke it out with fan favorites. This to has been cut away. You're given a meager three starting characters to choose from and, get this, they start in their underwear. So you not only get almost no choices in characters, but you can't even give them a great look. You have to grind thru Quest Mode to unlock common armor and accessories that reminisce of Soul Calibur IV´╗┐ days. Each piece has particular attributes that boast your stats, so if you really like that blue bandanna with only +2 HP, then you're S.O.L. when passing up better armor later on. Now you could always just do apparently what this game was originally trying to gear you towards and spend a ridiculously absurd amount of money on micro transactions (We're talking like $20 for 6 chests) for in game chests to get items, but who the Hell would be that stupid?! In conclusion, yes this game is Free to Play, but ultimately there simply isn't any real reason to bother picking it up when there are FAR better versions already got there to choose from. I say try it out if you've never touched Soul Calibur and if you like it, go out and purchase either IV or V. Better yet, just go do that now. Don't play this game. Expand
  5. May 24, 2014
    With Incredibly insulting content (lack there of) and a broken game engine (horrible loading times for the graphics it displays) and a general lack of soul, this game just gets a 1 out of 10. The only reason why it even gets a 1, and not a zero, is because it does somewhat, sometimes, feel like a game. I mean, at least it turns on.
  6. Sep 19, 2014
    this is not a fighting game, it's a miserable sluggish semblance of casual games with cards on smartphones, such as Blood Brothers, that is the game for imbeciles. I do not know what an idiot could think of to make a fighting game, but it 'genius ought to hang a **** so drugm and teach it to do such pohabshinu.
    Evaluation - 0, because there is no gameplay, urgently requires the loot, and
    even slows! Top of arrogance and rudeness. Yes, I understand that the game is free, but that Ms. Tekken Revolution too free, but that fighting game, and it was a misunderstanding. Expand
  7. Oct 8, 2014
    Tried it out to see what it was like thought hey free-to-play now that is something yet it turned into extreme disappointment lets see where to begin. Oh I know the AP points which makes it so you have to wait for awhile to do any missions or quests. Making feel more like a facebook game then a real game. But wait it gets better if you lose in a fight you have to use a continue ticket and if you don't got a ticket you have to buy it with real money in order to continue the fight where you left off. Oh and if you leave the fight all the AP you used is wasted and you have to wait. The funniest part in a disappointing matter is that there are equipment slots that barely gives you enough room for any armor which is used for resistances and HP which gives you just enough for two characters, and the rest you have to buy with real money for $6.99 to get 10 slots. The ally slots to buy 10 is $1.99 yeah the people abusing the micro-transaction system. Congrats Soul Calibur Lost Swords? More like Soul Calibur Lost Fundings! Expand
  8. Jul 15, 2014
    U cant play this game , u have to wait 100 hours for the loadings... If action was faster i could have a better opinion around 1 star...But i give u 0... and its too much cuz i wasted my time to vote for this trash.
  9. May 31, 2014
    Yes, i agree on all the reviews about this game, but in my opinion this game is not a disaster and it is worth to download for free. You can spend a few minutes you can play this game while drinking your tea or waiting for any other things to do. Graphics are not bad at all too.
  10. Jun 22, 2014
    This game was absolutely disappointing. I went through the whole arduous process of installing the game and waiting during the loading screens for an utterly underwhelming gaming experience. Three characters to play as, a focus on gaining money and points instead of gameplay, a flawed partners and allies system, a severe lack of variety in gameplay - the game was a bore hole. I was disappointed because I'm a huge Soulcalibur fan and have played almost every single game religiously, but this one left me wondering why I went through the trouble of downloading it in the first place. Even for a free-to-play game, it was a waste of time. Expand
  11. Jun 27, 2014
    Another "free-to-play" scam as far as I'm concerned. This isn't a Soul Calibur game, I cannot call it that, it would be an insult to the actual game series. I don't even understand the concept of forced online single player, why would anyone do such a thing? If a nearly constant rotating hourglass is your thing then download this game.
  12. Jul 12, 2014
    The game could be somewhat fun, except moving between any two screens is met with a loading screen that lasts at least 3-5 minutes. You want to equip that new weapon you found? Wait 10 minutes while traversing to your inventory. There's not an in-game shop unless you include the premium shop, so good luck spending 30 minutes per map grinding; oh, and most of that time is spent in loading screens.

Aside from the loading screens, there's not really much to say about the game. It's a single-player game that requires access to online servers to play. It's a long grind to do anything, which ends up not being much. Also, it's an energy-based game, so I guess you wouldn't notice thanks to the loading screens, so that's a plus.

1. The lack of multiplayer is baffling. [July 2014, p.80]
  2. Jun 29, 2014
    The shame here isn't that this is a a bad beat-'em-up. It's that it's a good one saddled with so much nonsense and tedium that you're unlikely to care. [Aug 2014, p.78]
  3. Jun 28, 2014
    In some weird way all of Lost Swords bad ideas remind you why you once loved the series.