6.9

1. Feb 28, 2012
    Excellent game, great re-incarnation of SSX. Intense, crisp, graphically stunning and a great interface. Possibly the most fun I've had from any video game in the last 12 months. Welcome back SSX - thanks for providing an excellent escape from the FPS & RPG drone.
  2. Feb 28, 2012
    After finishing the world tour aspect of the new SSX, I came onto here expecting to see nothing but positive reviews from nearly everyone. From personal experience; playing through every SSX game to date, I can honestly say this game has improved exponentially on it's predecessors. In terms of graphical value, features such as the deadly descents and the 9 different areas, (or 10 if you include Mt. Fuji,) this game in my opinion is the best snowboarding game ever made. The new RiderNet feature is as fun to play and compete in as it is innovative and original. The bugs are extremely slim compared to the vast success in this game, and anyone who reviews differently is either being nit picky or just plain stupid. Yes as mad_jihad said below you can get to the bottom of one of the initial, warm up runs without touching the controller, and yes that is babying the player. But the beginning levels are for beginners, and aren't the first few levels in every game supposed to baby the player? The average player should be able to play the game too, and not everyone is as much of an all star as my counterparts below. Nevertheless to put all of this to rest; I can assure you, the last few deadly descents in this game do anything but "baby" you. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Expand
  3. Feb 29, 2012
    Overall, I am VERY impressed with this game. Having been an avid fan of the SSX series in the past (not including Blur or On Tour and SSX 3 being my all time favorite) I was extremely excited to see this game coming down the pipe. I was a tiny bit skeptical about purchasing this game at first because they had included new mechanics to the gameplay (flight suit and what have you) but these new features flow extremely naturally into both online and offline play. The storyline is a tad weak, but the levels, characters, and gameplay more than make up for this shortcoming. If you go into playing this game expecting it to be EXACTLY like SSX 3, you're probably going to be disappointed, but if you go in just expecting what SSX usually has to offer (fast-pace gameplay, unique characters, awesome uber tricks, gorgeous levels) you're going to be a lot happier with the experience. Although there were some missing aspects to this game that I wish were included (i.e. some characters from previous games and DJ Atomika) there's really very little to complain about here. And I'm sure EA is going to create DLC for this game so that you can play as your favorite SSX veterans again (I may be wrong, but DLC is such a cash cow in games these days, it's entirely possible). The customizable track lists is one of the best features and the online play is phenomenal. If you have 60 bucks in your wallet and want a game that's going to keep you occupied for hours on end, do yourself a favor and go buy this game. DO EET NAAAAOOOWWW!! Expand
  4. Feb 28, 2012
    Honestly, the good reviews I've read of this game are accurate (GameSpot, Destructoid), whereas the negative ones (Game Informer, Joystiq) place entirely too much emphasis on the Survive It challenges. Both users and critics alike just seem to not like the fact that it's built to be harder than its predecessors. Do not mistake this game for an HD remake of the first SSX game on PS2.

I
    played SSX, Tricky, and SSX3 extensively. I played the demo for this one and preordered it immediately afterward. I'm still having a blast. It's definitely harder than any of its predecessors, but that's about all.
    Why was Dark Souls' challenge such a good thing (it wasn't, it drove me crazy) and this game is being chastised for being harder than people assumed it would be?
  5. Feb 29, 2012
    Alright, I feel as though I have to debunk the blatant lies in MAD_JIHAD's review, since random smear campaigns are the scourge of user based reviews.

Can you make it down the first track without touching the controller? Yes. Can you "literally win a game?" No. Not a race, not a trick and not a survival track. Most tracks have pitfalls of sorts, or environmental dangers which if you
    do not avoid, you won't make it down the track, let alone win without touching the controller. This is also not even mentioning trick tracks which you need to actual chain tricks together to win, meaning again, the controller has to be used. With that out of the way, this game will bring back the nostalgic feelings if you were a fan of the previous games. It still has that arcade feel with the audio and video, as well as the ridiculous speed, tricks and locales. The game is clearly meant for the online mode. The single player can be completed in a solid night, but some events are literally a week or two long.

This is a world ranking (barring region stats, which I'm no aware of) game. There are a dozens of tracks all with leaderboards to compete with and an ongoing leveling system for the characters and gearing system to work towards to constantly improve times, scores and distances. Also some genuinely difficult tracks, at least at lower character/gear levels, provides laughs and A LOT of replays.

Overall, a great game, basically a HD remake of Tricky but with online stat tracking and more tracks.

I give this a 9 because EVENTUALLY this may grow stale for some if they aren't into trying to stay on the leaderboard.
  6. Mar 1, 2012
    I see idiots on here giving the game a zero because they can get down a hill without touching the controller. I take it most of these tools have never played a SSX game before and don't realize that getting down the hill is not the point of the game. On the levels where it is the point (survival) you'd quickly fail doing that nonsense.It's a definite improvement over the previous SSX games. The gameplay IS smooth if you know what you're doing, but I can see how people that lack dexterity in their hands could easily become frustrated at times. The game is by no means "too hard" at any point. It does lack a split-screen / offline-multiplayer option so if I were going to mark the game down for anything that would be it. Ridernet reminds me of the online challenges/aspects of a tiger woods game. Expand
  7. Mar 4, 2012
    Awesome game. Brings back old memories of SSX Tricky. It's smooth & fast, & once the character your using gains a few levels you can pull of some impressive looking tricks. There are a few annoying levels where you constantly fall down giant holes you couldn't see until it was too late, but that's only a minor annoyance on races. On Tricky runs the rewind feature works good so that's not really a problem. The lure of the Explore side & trying to level up the characters so that you can buy better equipment, & get those gold medals is quite addictive. I can see the online side of things, & the global events being a big attraction, especially if you end up with lots of people on your friends list playing to beat you. Expand
  8. Mar 4, 2012
    Awesome combos, and pretty good grapic, nice soundtrack excellent carrier mode n' it's a cool multipalyer game. I was play in only demo but i know that i will buy this game
  9. Mar 16, 2012
    I absolutely love this game. It is awesome. GOTY in my opinion. Best snowboarding game since 1080. I don't know what all the haters are going on about. The survival runs are an absolute rush. Music that comes with the game isn't that great but is fully customisable with you own playlists. I have like 3000 songs on my PS3 so this is fantastic not many games offer that. As for winning without touching the controller, R u serious??? It took me like 10 runs to get down the Siberia survival. Sure the tricks are pretty easy to pull off just stop spinning and you'll land them but the key is combos and linking to get into tricky. Never was a fan of previous SSX game but I love this. NASA mapped mountains with hundreds of different runs. No splitscreen multiplayer, who cares it's not on N64. Splitscreen just spoils your view and i assume with the breakneck speed of this game probably wouldn't work too well anyway. The online component is one of the best parts of this game. Snowboarding is a solitary sport just you and the board so I think the multiplayer has been designed exceptionally well. Guys ignore the haters and get this if you enjoy snowboarding. I still occasionally play the old N64 1080 on wii and this is the best snowboarding game since. Make this a must buy!! Expand
  10. Mar 10, 2013
    SSX (2012) is one hell of a rush. If you know the tricks. The World Tour mode is perfect for starters or for the people who have lost their flow and want to get back in. The Survive It runs are a blast to ride in my opinion. But the Deadly Descents could've kicked their difficulty level up a notch. Seriously I could beat all of them without the special gear, except for one, on my first go. (Thin Air is impossible without an oxygen tank. Even with a wingsuit.) But there are some frustrating runs designed by Satan in this game. Great example: One Step Ahead/Grand Golliat if I'm correct. The game runs extremely smooth with beautiful mountain ranges. I do miss the fireworks though. No not all of the 168 drops have death crevasses. That's whining over one small aspect of the game. Awesome amount of tricks and the possibilities of performing 15 backflips while doing Walking the Dog is just awesome. And the technique of using the entire track as a half-pipe has been there since the first one. And beating the first track without touching the controller. WOW! Possible in SSX3 as well. Hell, you can do Aloha Ice Jam under a minute without controller in Tricky. Hard to pull off, but possible. And the rewind function is there to add more challenge and to not exploit the reset glitch/trick of past games. Soundtrack is pretty tight, but it lacks the diversity of SSX3. And there is the option to customize your soundtrack which is great. Characters do interact with each other during races, but not as loud as in Tricky or 3. And some new character quotes is a nice addition as well. ''this is WICKED!!!'' -Mac... The online experience was very fun. And no. You don't always race with ghosts. Blue rider ghost. Other riders Live holograms to avoid painful collisions. And the wingsuit ''cheating'' is not cheating unless it says: ''Wingsuit Restricted'' Split-screen: I really didn't care, because I barely played with my friends side by side. The controls: It takes time to get used to it. Just like the transition from Tricky to 3. A completely different feel to it. But the thing is. This time around you don't have to push your stick all the way to the left or right. Slightly pushing it to the left or right is good enough. Character customization felt like the one from the originator (SSX 2000). Costumes are just the same ones with a different color or pattern, but there are some ridiculous amount of board designs out there. The things I found frustrating in this game are: The shop design. I've wasted $37.000.000 to get a rewind perk for a Survival record run. Instant deaths: At some points of a Survival run you can lose all of your armour, health and sometimes even both in 1 bail. 12 years of SSX full of frustrating moments, now Instant death?! It's understandable if your boarder faceplants him/herself while going 400 km/h against a boulder. But I was just riding on a ledge. ''WOOOSSHH'' Board disappeared. Run ended. Me getting pissed afterwards. Standard controls during Trick it events: Stalefish Mute are the highest scored tricks. When jumping out of the chopper you can get 8.500 to 10.000 points. While the highest scoring tricks on Classic, Tailgrab Seatbelt only 6.500 to 8.500 points. Small differences like that have a effect on record runs. Especially with the new multiplier system. And tricks on Standard controls can be pulled of faster than with the Classic control scheme. Sucks if you can only play with Classic controls like me. But Classic functions better during races.
    Overall, SSX (2012) is an awesome competitive extreme sports game like it's predecessors Tricky 3.
    Every SSX game is hard when you first start the game. Once mastered or once you have the basic SSX knowledge, it's one hell of a ride and you want to beat everyone on the tracks and play it forever.
    And again like it's predecessors! It's plagued by small mistakes that you can ignore or get completely mad at. Like the advantage of Standard over Classic in Trick It's. SSX also has a awesome fan site which you can check out for master runs or competition since the Global Events only has SSX fans now.
    Mos def a 9/10.
    What a long review...
  11. Jul 14, 2012
    First, I would like to say that i usually loathe sports game of any kind but SSX has made have a change of heart. SSX is a total blast and is totally worth the $60 price tag. Obviously, there is a campaign to play through. It's fairly short but is a lot of fun to play through. With nine deadly descents that get harder each time the game will have your attention for about 6-8 hours.The game is also backed up with an awesome soundtrack. Expect to hear plenty of dubstep and hip hop. Every song seems tailored to that track. After you have beaten the campaign you haven't even put a dent in the amount of content SSX offers though. There is also an Explore mdoe. Explore let's you go to any drop and try to make the fastest time, the best score, or the longest distance travelled. After you finish your ghost is put on that track for other people to compete against. The most intriguing aspect though are the Global Events. Global Events are the game's version of multiplayer. Through leaderboards you race on drops with restrictiions for a ridiculous amount of credits. Each event has restrictions and a time limit. One I competed on still had five days left to compete against each other for the highest trick score. Last time I checked I was offered 30,000 credits which isn't very good. The thing that's really neat though, but also a pain is the fact that if someone beats your score your prize money will drop until you are eventually kicked off of the leaderboard. This adds an incredibly tense sense of competition when competing online. This is an absolute buy for anybody looking for the next big ports game that isn't released every year. Welcome home SSX, this is where you belong. Expand
  12. Apr 11, 2012
    This game looked good in the trailers, but BOY did they miss the mark with this one. The menu system is con fusing, the characters don't so much a speak anymore, and if they do its really hard to hear. The levels are atrocious , the tricks are basically copy and pasted too each character. Overall this was just bad, i mean how can SSX on Tour be better than this, and i thought that game was the worst one in the series, until NOW. Expand
  13. May 27, 2012
    Story/Career - This game is truly phenomenal when it comes to its story and career mode. It's Team SSX vs. Griff. Team SSX is a group of snowboarders competing against Griff, who is a rider that abandoned Team SSX after getting too **** In this mode you explore different mountains with over 150 drops around the world such as the Himalayas, The Rockies and more. This game is adrenaline pumping like playing a first person shooter. I am 16 and I've been playing SSX since 2001 in the PS2 days. SSX isn't just a snowboarding game. There's more to it than that. This is the best offline experience I ever had. I admit the boss battles can be a bit difficult, but besides that it truly impresses. I know the developers worked incredibly hard on this game. Also, characters from previous SSXs has returned. Score: 100/100(A+)

Graphics - This game uses Frostbite Engine 2, which is what Battlefield 3 uses for its graphics. These graphics look noticeably better than Battlefield when it comes to the graphics. Living in Georgia I don't see snow much and the snow in this game looks real. I don't understand why GameInformer was stomping the game for its graphics when it has some of the best graphics. Every environmental detail pops out to you. Score: 100/100(A+)

Gameplay - The gameplay on here is really smooth. The character you're playing would make remarks and so would the AI. The soundtrack is alright, but this game has dubstep and I'm not really a fan of that. Other genres include Hip-Hop, Reggae, Soft Rock, Hard Rock and some Pop music. If you don't like the soundtrack, you can play your own music with custom soundtracks. Tricks are easy to pull off and I use the new standard controls instead of the classic controls just because it feels smoother. There's this thing called "Tricky" that lets you perform nearly impossible tricks and it gives you a rush. I'm a little disappointed that this doesn't have a replay option so I could look at my event. The previous SSXs had this. It's a shame. Replay is a big feature left out to me, but I learned to deal with it. The game has a rewind feature, but when you use that rewind feature, a penalty is given. You lose points and the rewind just rewinds you and not your AI. It's kind of impressive actually. If they were able to add a rewind feature, they could have added a replay feature. Score: 90/100(A+)

Multiplayer - My favorite multiplayer at the moment. Instead of actually having a race or trick event with like 7 other people to place in 1st, 2nd or 3rd, you compete in real-time with a number of others by jumping out of a helicopter. Example: I finish in a time of 1:42, that would put first on the standings as to where maybe a 2:40 would put be second or third in the standings. It's different and I like it. Your placing in events also compete with your friends standing. Some SSX fans might be upset that this SSX doesn't have Split-Screen. Its really no surprise coming from a EA published game. It doesn't bother me though. This is one of the more impressive Multiplayer experiences because it actually feels like you're competing around the world. I will be on this for a long time and I like dominating my friends. Score: 100/100(A+)

Playing Time/Content - I will spend hundreds of hours on this game and the replay value is very high. If you don't want to buy the game, then think about renting the game. There are 3 different game modes. There is World Tour(story/career), Explore(single player events), and Global Events(multiplayer). Score: 100/100(A+)

Overall rating: 98/100 (A+)

Other notes:

SSX for PS3 has Mt. Fuji as an exclusive. I have yet to try out this mountain.

+ Frostbite Engine 2
    + Controls
    + Custom Soundtracks (your music)
    + Content
    - No split-screen
    - In-game Dubstep music
  14. Mar 19, 2012
    I was really looking forward to SSX. I loved the previous games and spent a lot ot time on them. I dived into GS to grab a copy on launch day, took it home and played it to death!
    Once the excitement wore off I started to notice things like the last gen graphics, ridiculous course design and lack of a proper MP option, local or online. The course design ruined it for me. I don't have the
    time to play a game enough to learn all the courses, damn work, but there's nothing worse than racking up a nice multiplier and seeing it fall down a crevasse that you had no knowledge of being there. Sorry, but this is just bad design. The survival courses are about as much fun as going to MacDonalds and finding out their new burger range is based around toe nails. I went back to SSX 3 and had a great time. No local MP? what the hell were they thinking? Most people have bigger better TV's than back when SSX 3 was on the market and these TV's are excellent for split screen, and I mean split screen where you can shoulder barge your mate out of the way when he's about to hit a jump and not just on the screen. This game is a disappointment and has already been traded in. It could have been ultimate SSX but instead it became a poor cousin of SSX. Not good EA, not good at all. Expand
  15. Mar 23, 2012
    When I was little I basically played 3 games, Tekken 3, Crash Team Racing and SSX. While Tekken is losing the war in fighting games to superior titles such as Street fighter 4 and Mortal Combat, and Naughty Dog sold Crash to another company that killed him, I'm left with SSX. And I'm glad -and very relieved- that it doesn't disappoint. Better yet, it build upon the franchise, new controls, a whole lot of drops, 3 different mods (race it, trick it and survive it), making this the best SSX to date. Only disappointment -and sadly this is a big one- there is no split-screen multiplayer, only online multiplayer, which I'm no big fan of. Really wanted to be able to play with my friends. But don't let this scare you away from this title. it's still a fantastic singleplayer game with loads of content to keep you entertained. Expand
  16. May 7, 2012
    This far is great I am glad to see that they have done the ssx name justice. This game is actually rather hard to get gold medals on but they are very achievable if you practice the maps. Love the global mode. the only things that hold this game back from being perfect are some glitch issues, no real time multiplayer and no inclusions of seeya from ssx tricky. If they did not make thee free character dlc for Eddie I would have only given the game a 8 Expand
  17. Oct 6, 2014
    SSX is a great and fun game for people who love to experience what it would be like to get insane air on a snowboard. But the game is kinda repetitive but other than that it is a great game.

1. May 4, 2012
    SSX is a great reboot of the series. While the game has some shortcomings, it does provide an amazing adrenaline rush and sense of speed you rarely experience in other titles.
  2. [P]layers won't get much out of SSX until they put a lot of time into each of the game's courses – packed with branching paths, high ridges, and suicide leaps – and work out a custom plan of attack. Without one, SSX can deteriorate into a discombobulating frazzle of questions like: where am I going? Is this the fastest way down? And how come the CPU is 15 seconds ahead of me? While the required exploration means a tonne of replay value, it also means newbies will have to board up a hockey stick-shaped difficulty curve to feel in the game. [April 2012, p70]
  3. Mar 28, 2012
    Frustrates and infuriates as poor design decisions smash into each other with alarming regularity. A real letdown, given the series it comes from, but in actuality this is as close to an SSX game as it is Tetris. [Issue#216, p.70]