2.1

1. Apr 24, 2013
    what a mess, what a epic mess......... plenty of good ideas but sadly ended by implemented on a disastrous way. this is an obvious cash-in on the well knowed franchise and gambling with the hype on the new film that soon will be at the theaters to sell some copies of this game, just because you're a die hard of star trek, dont buy any garbage just because this have star trek name attached. Star Trek is awesome but this game............... should be boycotted by any serious Trekie!!! Expand
  2. Apr 23, 2013
    Meh game. First the worst, the acting was uninspired. Sounded like Kirk was literally reading for the first time. The A.I. is good and awful, some times a challenge some times just blankly staring at nothing. I do enjoy interacting in this universe but it is like a Michael Bay film all action no substance. Where's the challenging parts? The set pieces are poorly implemented and the gun mechanics leave me wanting for a smaller cross hair. This game should not be a full priced disk but a twenty dollar arcade download. Wished i rented. Expand
  3. Apr 24, 2013
    I've only played for a couple of hours, but my impression is...nice voice acting from what seems to be the entire cast, and thats the best I can say. The missions are standard duck and shoot, along with some minigame puzzles. Very buggy (at one point Spock was walking six feet off the ground...), and the controls, sp. jumping, is very sloppy. Unless gameplay improves greatly, a big disappointment. Expand
  4. Apr 23, 2013
    I will be the first admit that I purchased this purely because I love Star Trek. While it is not the best and it does have it's problems, I'm having a lot of fun playing it. The banter between Kirk and Spock is fun. The combat mechanics do need improvement but they are workable. The story is definitely the strong point of the game. If you are a die hard Trek fan I would recommend it. If not I would rent or wait for it in the bargain bin. Expand
  5. Apr 24, 2013
    This game has so many bugs that anyone should have been embarrased to release it.
    Tossing the bugs aside, it's a very average game that deserves a score around 5-6, but since people don't mind giving painfully buggy games a 10 i guess i don't mind giving it 0.
  6. Apr 25, 2013
    This game is awfully bad, its so bad it makes me cry but the reason I set it so low is the shady business of the developers, fake accounts on metacritic and steam do not buy this game until the price is so low!
  7. Apr 26, 2013
    All fake accounts and developers rate the game 10 or 8 out of 10. Now if you rate your own game a 10 out of 10 just because you made it while no one else is able to play the co op and the game is just pure why even bother making it? I hope, from the ground of my heart, that Namco Bandai games goes bankrupt. Shame on all of you over at Bandai.
  8. Apr 24, 2013
    This game was TERRIBLE! extremely buggy and only a sub-par shooter. I have to say that i would not recommend this game to anyone. I would only play this game if it was one of the last thing left on earth!
  9. Apr 25, 2013
    Co-op doesn't work, gameplay mechanics looks like a cheap rip-off of popular titles, like Call of Duty. There's no creativity in the art direction, looks like it's taken straight from Mass Effect 3. Don't buy this game.
  10. Apr 27, 2013
    I posted my review over in the PC version but wanted to post here since this one seems to be getting more "user" attention.

To any potential customers: BEFORE you trust any of these "green" 7-10 rating reviews, click the user name and look at the number of ratings and reviews they have! I cannot stress this enough. Most of them have only reviewed THIS particular game. That should raise
    your mental red flags, especially in light of the fact that at least ONE member of the development team has been caught engaging in shady PR on Steam.

I have yet to see a legitimate high rating from someone who has reviewed multiple games spanning months or years.
  11. Apr 28, 2013
    I actually like this game. Im not one of those trolls that make up a fake review or some account made by some random developer or publisher. I actually give this game a 7.5 but decided to do it a 7 on Metacritic because even though I think it is a good game, it isnt worth the $60 asking price, its more like $20-30 if you wanna buy it. That is because the campaign is relatively short (Took me about 8 hours). I suppose if you're a hardcore trekie and you enjoy the new movie series then $60 will be a fair price to you, but if you are just a casual fan of Star Trek or 3rd person shooters I would wait for a price drop.

First of all, most of the pro reviewers exaggerated the issues with the game. Yes, there are some clipping issues and bugs, but they are overblown. None of the bugs affect your ability to play the game. So I do mark down some for it but not much since its more of a polishing issue than something that affects the gameplay. There is a notable exception to this though, I did encounter a bug that inverted the directions of my left analog stick that seemed to be triggered by getting rammed by one of the big Gorn creatures, and it lasts a few seconds. I am unsure if this is a bug or perhaps intentional design to make the impact of getting hit seem more significant, since this bug only happens in these very specific instances, and other heavy impacts like explosions do not cause it. Its not a crippling bug when looking at the game as a whole because you only fight big Gorn bosses a few times in the game, they are not a regular enemy.

One of the complaint I hear about a lot is the AI is bad. This isnt true at all. My AI partner has been pretty helpful in firefights and has saved my hide numerous times. As far as the AI teleporting, this only happened to me one time, which was on the last mission. The last mission seemed to be more buggy than the rest of them in general so I hope they patch it quick.

The terrible animations only apply to cutscenes and such, the actual in game animation for combat/movement sequences is actually very good. The cutscene animations being bad particularly happens when characters are stationary and mostly affect Kirk and Spock (who should be the most animated characters honestly) because most of the other characters are animated well with a few exceptions.

The graphics are pretty good. There are some instances of low res textures, but the engine is technically sound with great draw distance, no pop in or screen tearing, a consistent framerate with no slowdowns, and some pretty visual effects such as in the opening mission with the bright sun in the background and nice reflection effects.

The sound design is very well done, the sound effects sound like they they do from the series, the actual actors lend a hand for the voiceovers and do a good job in portraying their characters, and the game has a mix of music from the movies as well as some original scores, and the score is very good.

The gameplay is 3rd person like Gears of War, but its not a bro-op shooter where you just shoot and shoot some more with some turret sequences to spice it up. This game has a LOT of variety in the gameplay from platforming, puzzle solving, the tricorder (Which can also help in combat scenarios), exploration, stealth, drop sequences like the 2009 movie, and even a segment with commanding the enterprise, AND NO TURRET BITS!

It is done pretty well overall with all of these bits, if I did have to pick a weak point with these extra bits it would be the platforming because the controls are a little wonky with this. It wasn't an insurmountable obstacle but a lot of my non combat deaths were from trying to manage some of the platforming sequences.

The game also has something called Commendations, which you may see come up once-twice per mission, basically rewarding you for playing a specific way. Fortunately this game doesnt fall into a trap of FORCING you to play a specific way or have to retry like a lot of games do. For instance, if you dont want to use your phaser on stun, explore different routes, or use stealth to avoid detection, you dont have to and the game wont make you restart a segment if you fail to do this. These commendations are setup to have the player play a little more intelligently, like you are a Starfleet Officer as opposed to a gun toting grunt. They are optional but they do help you to unlock additional experience for unlocking things.

You can use experience to unlock upgrades to your tricorder and phaser. It would have been nice to utilize it to upgrade the other weapons as well, but I can see why they chose the phaser only since you generally always have it.

The story is very solid and is well presented like in the movies. And the combat is good, shooting and cover mechanics work well and you snap to cover and get off it easily. And the phaser and tricorder can be very useful in combat, as you can use the stun setting to allow melee kills on enemies.

I do recommend this
  12. Apr 26, 2013
    The game has issues that's a fact. The graphics can get a little dodgy and a bug or two will get ya on occasion, but i love this game. I think its imperative that the game be played as it was intended, as co op. Not with some stranger but a friend. It greatly amplifies the experience. Great story, fun game and stellar voice work. I almost wish Star Trek wasn't such a beloved franchise, maybe then butt hurt fan boys and former high school jocks who think anything with star in the title is meant only for nerds would give it half a chance. Your loss. Bottom line a fun game. Expand
  13. May 13, 2013
    Set phazers to SUCK! This game is buggy, graphically unimpressive, and has generic 3rd person shooter gameplay. Even the story is remarkably bland. DO NOT BUY.
  14. Apr 26, 2013
    What a piece of crap, when I first saw it I thought ooh, it looks like a Star Trek mass effect type game, now I know that the similarity ends right there, it's broken... Completely broken, do yourself a favour and go get the mass effect trilogy instead of this busted ass load of
  15. Apr 30, 2013
    What are they doing? At least the movie is worth seeing. They really need to just stick to the movies This game is really like a crappy version on mass effect
  16. Jun 14, 2013
    1.Rented Star Trek The Video Game
    2. Went home
    3. Put Star Trek into PS3
    4. started playing at 3:45pm
    5. turned game off at 4:13
    6. regretted wasting 3 dollars on renting this game.
    7. Not worth writing a detailed review about. Junk.. Go watch the movie and forget about this turd.
  17. Apr 25, 2013
    While there are a few real snags in the game, I really enjoyed it. This captures the feel of the JJ Abrams Star Trek universe from set pieces to storyline and character banter. Though the graphics are dated, I can easily look past that for the art direction (running animations, however, are terrible. NO one runs like that.) I think my biggest graphical disappointment is how Scotty looks like a mongoloid. Gunplay is surprisingly tight, and I enjoy swapping for dropped weapons that add a bit more strategy to a firefight.

Where the game does falter is in execution. Much of the fantastic voice acting and aforementioned banter is marred by poor mixing, making it sound as though the actors are speaking into a tin can. Some of the controls are poorly implemented, specifically when being carried by your AI partner and when laying down on the ground. Never should a game make you fight the controls.

Absolutely unforgiveable, however, is the complete lack of clipping detection. I should not be able to walk through or stand on the exact same place as my partner, either AI or friend-controlled. I also feel there was very little quality control done on scripting for your AI partner in solo mode. All too often, Spock would stand somewhere in the level and not follow me to a door I needed opened, or he would jump directly into enemy eyesight on stealth sections. It was not enough to keep me from wanting to complete the game, but it can be frustrating in a few parts.

These technical issues do enough to lower the score from what I would otherwise consider a great game. If you enjoy the Star Trek franchise, this is certainly worth a rent. A purchase may depend on your ability to play co-op with a friend as it removes many of the AI-companion foibles.
  18. Apr 27, 2013
    There is a good reason that gamer's take interest in quality control.

Their favorite IP's are often taken advantage of, for reasons no more convoluted than fiscal profit.

A bad game, is not a rare coinsurance. They are pretty easy to spot. It's been widely accepted, Star Trek The Video game is not only buggy, antiquated, and in some regards, non-functional but it's an obvious attempt
    to capitalize on the IP's popularity among long time fans of the series.

I do not own the game. If you're reading this; you don't need me to tell you, that this game is not worth your money. You should already know by now.

I'm writing this because of the un-ethical practices by the developers to influence the consumer base with fake reviews. Because of lead developers (Kenneth) arguing on Steam, posing as a normal guy, who loves the game. Because of refusing to provide pre-release review copies and yet, still insisting on charging full price for the release.

These are the kind of business practices that the gaming community, on a whole, are trying to document.

It's up to the gamer, to punish these kinds of developers and publishers of poorly made games, by voting with your collective wallets.

But this is not a matter of Star Trek simply being a bad game.

A bad game is bad enough; but when a company goes beyond marketing, and attempts to run a deliberate campaign to deceive the ill-informed consumer, we must hold them accountable by getting online documenting why we're upset, and contacting those at fault; in addition to not paying for something that is merely a scheme to get your money...

The gaming community is smarter than these people take us for.

Do not let yourself be comfortable with these kinds of practices. It is our responsibility to enforce a standard; please, for your fellow gamers, do not buy this game you are condoning the worst of the gaming industry.
  19. May 3, 2013
    Don't like the fact that most/all of the positive reviews have only reviewed this game. While I believe that no game deserves a 0, I do believe in fighting against shady PR tactics.
  20. May 26, 2014
    I haven't played this game yet. But neither did MasJ and he gave it a 10 based on the "videos" he saw... Giving it a 0 to balance that out. Sigh.......
  21. May 6, 2013
    This game was garbage. It froze up on me in the first 5 minutes and has deleted my save more times than I can count. The game is broken broken broken broken. Do not support this garbage.
  22. Apr 29, 2013
    Co-op mode doesn't work. I tried to join co-op 7 times and each time I waited at least 5 minutes to join, but all I got was waiting for host to reach check point) message. What Namco Bandai Inc.has done should be against the law. Who is in charge of protecting the consumer and is being done to discourage such terrible abuse. How many people lost 60. if you add it up thats a lot. Enjoy your filthy lucre Namco Bandai Inc. That isn,t a game you sold us, it's a poop sandwich with no bread." Expand
  23. May 1, 2013
    This is nowhere near as bad as people are making it out to be. AI is poor, certain game elements are stupid, and shooting is average at best. But the story and characters are fun, voice acting is good, and for the most part, I'm enjoying being in the new Star Trek universe.

And no, I'm not one of the game developers.…
  24. May 19, 2013
    As a concerned gamer, came to Metacritic to research this Star Trek game. To my dismay, I discovered numerous accusations and counter-accusations. Some, on the one hand, claimed that the game developers had made fake metacritic profiles and were giving the game high scores that it didn't come close to deserving; on the other hand, some refiews seemed to indicate that the majority if the people who had reviewed the game were a bunch of haters who were unfairly maligning a truly wonderful game.
    After checking the game out for myself and playing it, I do not know if either of those accusations is true, but I DO know that Star Trek the Video Game is an appalling, poorly-executed mess. In the interest of being fair to the game, I will ignore how the Star Trek canon has been butchered by the game and recent movies and treat this as a new IP. In many ways, I think it would have been much better if this were the case.

The graphics range from early original XBOX quality in some places to almost superb in others, and this division can sometimes be found in the onscreen in the same cutscene. Quality differences aside, however, they are for the most part bland and forgettable. There are exceptions, but they're just that- exceptions.

The characters themselves feel lifeless, and often AI controlled characters (especially Spock, in my time with the game) will exhibit pathfinding issues and try to walk through an obstruction for thirty seconds or so. Conversely, I found that Kirk was able walk right through Spock as if he were a hologram. Whenever I entered a turbolift (and managed to find the right spot to press the square button) the other characters would do a strange little running dance. It was quite comical, but very mechanical and unrelistic. The voice acting was dull and unispired and the plot was unconvincing.

Every now and then, however, there was a bright spot, like a ray of sun emerging briefly from behind a dark cloud. Such a moment occured in an early cutscene where Kirk and Spock are playing chess while discusing Kirk's predictibility and are called away in the middle of the game. Spock is winning, of course, and I was thinking to myself, more in feelings than in words: "well, if this is Kirk, and he doesn't concede, he'd cheat." Sure enough, no sooner than the thought popped into my head, Kirk sneaks back and quickly changes the position of a single piece. Its a very juvenile scene, and the old Kirk never would have gotten away with it if the original Spock were around, but it nevertheless does a wonderful job of capturing the "doesn't believe in losing" spirit that Kirk possesses. If only the rest of the game could live up to that moment.

The gameplay itself bears a superficial resemblance to Mass Effect, but without any of Mass Effect's depth (both in and out of combat). This isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself, but in this case it feels like the game simply lacks poluish. The aiming controls work well and the weaponry itself is largely believable, and in one place I noted a tiny bit of detructible cover, but actually moving around didn't work quite so well. I found myself backing out of cover at inopportune times, entirely by accident, and then when I actually wanted to get out from behind whatever Kirk had found to protect him, my character seemed very reluctant to comply, as if he had decided on his own to stay where it was safe.

There were several gameplay anomalies I noticed during my time with first two levels. The first deals with the 'cover' issue above. Because Kirk refused to leave cover when I wanted him to, in frustration I decided I'd get an early start, and this led to the discovery that I could safely leave cover at times I should not be able to due to environmental hazards. This discovery made things easier. Secondly, I can report that, as I had read elsewhere, weapons can indeed be fired while the onscreen reloading graphics are still playing. It must be that advanced Vulcan technology. Third, I discovered that dodging often made Kirk temporarily invincible. This may be intentional, but its hard to take the game seriously when an enemy does a charge attack right through your character and you take no damage because the evasive animation had started. Other times, however, Kirk did take damage while dodging, as if some noticed at the last minute and took a half-hearted stab at fixing it at the last minute.

The music was decent -no complaints, that is- but forgettable. That's about all there is to say concerning it.

On a final note, I have to say that I liked being able to scan things with my tricorder to earn points to upgrade my devices. It was most satisfying to upgrade my phaser to fire fully automatic.

Now, we come to the last and most important detail: Did I enjoy playing it? I actually did, sort of. Will you? I doubt it.
  25. Jun 19, 2013
    angry joe told me to poop sjfsapfjapjfjfdofaofofajfodjfoadjpfadjfpoadjfpoadjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjpdfjajfajofjodjfoapjfdopfjopfjaofjdofapjfajpfjpfj
  26. Aug 17, 2013
    Look, I knew that this is a movie licenced game so i did not expect much but no matter how you look at it some aspects of the game it nails, these aspcts are the voice acting because they are the same actor from the movies and it feels nostalgic especially if you liked the movie, enviorments fell different and unique whereever you go and graphics are mostly acceptable, not saying theyr'e amazing or gret but theyr'e avarage and acceptable. now the things that this game gets wrong are things like the suicidal AI (Artaficial Inteligence for those who didn't know) that charges your position, their tail waving out of cover so they are easy to hit even when under cover which ruins the challenge, multiple bugs such as shots going through cover and several more, the game also tries to present us with an original story and does that well to a degree but after the story decides to headshot with a phaser any interesting parts that it may had it goes still and boring, and if you expected it to be a drop-in drop-out game it isn't if you want to play this game with a friend sometimes and something,es alone your'e in for a dissapointment. overall i feel like e whole thing is a mixed bagbecause from one side we have the good voice acting and thu the feel that seems legit that Spock and Kirk are friends yet do not always agree and it feels authentic, and like i said the graphics are relatively good for a movie licenced game and on the other side there are multiple bugs and glitches that can not be solved by patches and te lack of a drop-in drop-out feature. this game is over-priced as a full game maybe a downloadable game for like a third of the price would have definately been worth the money but as it is i would deffinately wait untill reduced price and only pick it up if you are absolutly inlove with startreck othrwise you will put yourself through torture of a long oring game with suicidal AI and beautifull backgrounds that are nothing but window dressing, and all the co-op adds up to is mashing a button to open doors together, like i said overall a dissapointment from someone who wanted to give us he "Ultimate Star Trek experience" Expand
  27. Jun 29, 2013
    Again! look at the terrible review scores. these all all immature responses jumping on bandwagons and for what?? to ruin careers without cause? ban these low critics scores! this game is great, especially as a star trek fan. this is such a crazy mess of a website where any little snot nosed kid can rate a game and destroy a career... and for what? to get a laugh for themselves or others?? complete unjustification! Expand
  28. Jul 10, 2013
    Another awful movie licence game just to make money of it name. This game is bad, i mean really bad. The story is below average with no exploration. Star trek should be about exploring the galaxy for new life form or other amazing stuff but here its just about shooting aliens in the face. AI in this game is terrible teammate or enemy. Teammate AI is just stupid which can be fixable by playing with a friend which i highly recommend. There is multiplayer as well which is fun for an hour then it just boring. I can bash this game all day thats how bad it is. Expand

1. Barely ten minutes after we booted up the game, our AI-partner managed to get himself stuck in some godforsaken corner of a godforsaken space station. Restart. This time Spock does not want to go down a ladder, not even after encouraging him with a few Phaser beams to the face. Restart. [June 2013, p.76]
  2. As a game based on a movie, Star Trek is ok. This is no rush job but it lacks either the expertise or imagination to make it passable as a game in its own right. And who the hell would bother with that. [July 2013, p77]
  3. Jun 5, 2013
    Star Trek The Video Game just isn't very good.