2.2

1. Aug 17, 2013
    Look, I knew that this is a movie licenced game so i did not expect much but no matter how you look at it some aspects of the game it nails, these aspcts are the voice acting because they are the same actor from the movies and it feels nostalgic especially if you liked the movie, enviorments fell different and unique whereever you go and graphics are mostly acceptable, not saying theyr'eLook, I knew that this is a movie licenced game so i did not expect much but no matter how you look at it some aspects of the game it nails, these aspcts are the voice acting because they are the same actor from the movies and it feels nostalgic especially if you liked the movie, enviorments fell different and unique whereever you go and graphics are mostly acceptable, not saying theyr'e amazing or gret but theyr'e avarage and acceptable. now the things that this game gets wrong are things like the suicidal AI (Artaficial Inteligence for those who didn't know) that charges your position, their tail waving out of cover so they are easy to hit even when under cover which ruins the challenge, multiple bugs such as shots going through cover and several more, the game also tries to present us with an original story and does that well to a degree but after the story decides to headshot with a phaser any interesting parts that it may had it goes still and boring, and if you expected it to be a drop-in drop-out game it isn't if you want to play this game with a friend sometimes and something,es alone your'e in for a dissapointment. overall i feel like e whole thing is a mixed bagbecause from one side we have the good voice acting and thu the feel that seems legit that Spock and Kirk are friends yet do not always agree and it feels authentic, and like i said the graphics are relatively good for a movie licenced game and on the other side there are multiple bugs and glitches that can not be solved by patches and te lack of a drop-in drop-out feature. this game is over-priced as a full game maybe a downloadable game for like a third of the price would have definately been worth the money but as it is i would deffinately wait untill reduced price and only pick it up if you are absolutly inlove with startreck othrwise you will put yourself through torture of a long oring game with suicidal AI and beautifull backgrounds that are nothing but window dressing, and all the co-op adds up to is mashing a button to open doors together, like i said overall a dissapointment from someone who wanted to give us he "Ultimate Star Trek experience" Expand
  2. Apr 28, 2013
    I actually like this game. Im not one of those trolls that make up a fake review or some account made by some random developer or publisher. I actually give this game a 7.5 but decided to do it a 7 on Metacritic because even though I think it is a good game, it isnt worth the $60 asking price, its more like $20-30 if you wanna buy it. That is because the campaign is relatively short (TookI actually like this game. Im not one of those trolls that make up a fake review or some account made by some random developer or publisher. I actually give this game a 7.5 but decided to do it a 7 on Metacritic because even though I think it is a good game, it isnt worth the $60 asking price, its more like $20-30 if you wanna buy it. That is because the campaign is relatively short (Took me about 8 hours). I suppose if you're a hardcore trekie and you enjoy the new movie series then $60 will be a fair price to you, but if you are just a casual fan of Star Trek or 3rd person shooters I would wait for a price drop.

First of all, most of the pro reviewers exaggerated the issues with the game. Yes, there are some clipping issues and bugs, but they are overblown. None of the bugs affect your ability to play the game. So I do mark down some for it but not much since its more of a polishing issue than something that affects the gameplay. There is a notable exception to this though, I did encounter a bug that inverted the directions of my left analog stick that seemed to be triggered by getting rammed by one of the big Gorn creatures, and it lasts a few seconds. I am unsure if this is a bug or perhaps intentional design to make the impact of getting hit seem more significant, since this bug only happens in these very specific instances, and other heavy impacts like explosions do not cause it. Its not a crippling bug when looking at the game as a whole because you only fight big Gorn bosses a few times in the game, they are not a regular enemy.

One of the complaint I hear about a lot is the AI is bad. This isnt true at all. My AI partner has been pretty helpful in firefights and has saved my hide numerous times. As far as the AI teleporting, this only happened to me one time, which was on the last mission. The last mission seemed to be more buggy than the rest of them in general so I hope they patch it quick.

The terrible animations only apply to cutscenes and such, the actual in game animation for combat/movement sequences is actually very good. The cutscene animations being bad particularly happens when characters are stationary and mostly affect Kirk and Spock (who should be the most animated characters honestly) because most of the other characters are animated well with a few exceptions.

The graphics are pretty good. There are some instances of low res textures, but the engine is technically sound with great draw distance, no pop in or screen tearing, a consistent framerate with no slowdowns, and some pretty visual effects such as in the opening mission with the bright sun in the background and nice reflection effects.

The sound design is very well done, the sound effects sound like they they do from the series, the actual actors lend a hand for the voiceovers and do a good job in portraying their characters, and the game has a mix of music from the movies as well as some original scores, and the score is very good.

The gameplay is 3rd person like Gears of War, but its not a bro-op shooter where you just shoot and shoot some more with some turret sequences to spice it up. This game has a LOT of variety in the gameplay from platforming, puzzle solving, the tricorder (Which can also help in combat scenarios), exploration, stealth, drop sequences like the 2009 movie, and even a segment with commanding the enterprise, AND NO TURRET BITS!

It is done pretty well overall with all of these bits, if I did have to pick a weak point with these extra bits it would be the platforming because the controls are a little wonky with this. It wasn't an insurmountable obstacle but a lot of my non combat deaths were from trying to manage some of the platforming sequences.

The game also has something called Commendations, which you may see come up once-twice per mission, basically rewarding you for playing a specific way. Fortunately this game doesnt fall into a trap of FORCING you to play a specific way or have to retry like a lot of games do. For instance, if you dont want to use your phaser on stun, explore different routes, or use stealth to avoid detection, you dont have to and the game wont make you restart a segment if you fail to do this. These commendations are setup to have the player play a little more intelligently, like you are a Starfleet Officer as opposed to a gun toting grunt. They are optional but they do help you to unlock additional experience for unlocking things.

You can use experience to unlock upgrades to your tricorder and phaser. It would have been nice to utilize it to upgrade the other weapons as well, but I can see why they chose the phaser only since you generally always have it.

The story is very solid and is well presented like in the movies. And the combat is good, shooting and cover mechanics work well and you snap to cover and get off it easily. And the phaser and tricorder can be very useful in combat, as you can use the stun setting to allow melee kills on enemies.

I do recommend this
  3. May 1, 2013
    This is nowhere near as bad as people are making it out to be. AI is poor, certain game elements are stupid, and shooting is average at best. But the story and characters are fun, voice acting is good, and for the most part, I'm enjoying being in the new Star Trek universe.

And no, I'm not one of the game developers.…
  4. Apr 23, 2013
    Meh game. First the worst, the acting was uninspired. Sounded like Kirk was literally reading for the first time. The A.I. is good and awful, some times a challenge some times just blankly staring at nothing. I do enjoy interacting in this universe but it is like a Michael Bay film all action no substance. Where's the challenging parts? The set pieces are poorly implemented and the gunMeh game. First the worst, the acting was uninspired. Sounded like Kirk was literally reading for the first time. The A.I. is good and awful, some times a challenge some times just blankly staring at nothing. I do enjoy interacting in this universe but it is like a Michael Bay film all action no substance. Where's the challenging parts? The set pieces are poorly implemented and the gun mechanics leave me wanting for a smaller cross hair. This game should not be a full priced disk but a twenty dollar arcade download. Wished i rented. Expand
  5. Apr 25, 2013
    While there are a few real snags in the game, I really enjoyed it. This captures the feel of the JJ Abrams Star Trek universe from set pieces to storyline and character banter. Though the graphics are dated, I can easily look past that for the art direction (running animations, however, are terrible. NO one runs like that.) I think my biggest graphical disappointment is how Scotty looksWhile there are a few real snags in the game, I really enjoyed it. This captures the feel of the JJ Abrams Star Trek universe from set pieces to storyline and character banter. Though the graphics are dated, I can easily look past that for the art direction (running animations, however, are terrible. NO one runs like that.) I think my biggest graphical disappointment is how Scotty looks like a mongoloid. Gunplay is surprisingly tight, and I enjoy swapping for dropped weapons that add a bit more strategy to a firefight.

Where the game does falter is in execution. Much of the fantastic voice acting and aforementioned banter is marred by poor mixing, making it sound as though the actors are speaking into a tin can. Some of the controls are poorly implemented, specifically when being carried by your AI partner and when laying down on the ground. Never should a game make you fight the controls.

Absolutely unforgiveable, however, is the complete lack of clipping detection. I should not be able to walk through or stand on the exact same place as my partner, either AI or friend-controlled. I also feel there was very little quality control done on scripting for your AI partner in solo mode. All too often, Spock would stand somewhere in the level and not follow me to a door I needed opened, or he would jump directly into enemy eyesight on stealth sections. It was not enough to keep me from wanting to complete the game, but it can be frustrating in a few parts.

These technical issues do enough to lower the score from what I would otherwise consider a great game. If you enjoy the Star Trek franchise, this is certainly worth a rent. A purchase may depend on your ability to play co-op with a friend as it removes many of the AI-companion foibles.
  6. Apr 23, 2013
    I will be the first admit that I purchased this purely because I love Star Trek. While it is not the best and it does have it's problems, I'm having a lot of fun playing it. The banter between Kirk and Spock is fun. The combat mechanics do need improvement but they are workable. The story is definitely the strong point of the game. If you are a die hard Trek fan I would recommend it. IfI will be the first admit that I purchased this purely because I love Star Trek. While it is not the best and it does have it's problems, I'm having a lot of fun playing it. The banter between Kirk and Spock is fun. The combat mechanics do need improvement but they are workable. The story is definitely the strong point of the game. If you are a die hard Trek fan I would recommend it. If not I would rent or wait for it in the bargain bin. Expand

1. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Sep 4, 2013
    Barely ten minutes after we booted up the game, our AI-partner managed to get himself stuck in some godforsaken corner of a godforsaken space station. Restart. This time Spock does not want to go down a ladder, not even after encouraging him with a few Phaser beams to the face. Restart. [June 2013, p.76]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Jul 12, 2013
    As a game based on a movie, Star Trek is ok. This is no rush job but it lacks either the expertise or imagination to make it passable as a game in its own right. And who the hell would bother with that. [July 2013, p77]
  3. Jun 5, 2013
    Star Trek The Video Game just isn't very good.