8.6

1. Aug 19, 2014
    I am a big fan of "Tales of ..." series and I'm glad to see localized version of "Tales of Xillia 2", It`s a realy huge JRPG in its genre. I recommend to all fans of Japanese games. It will give you many hours of interesting gameplay and exciting story.
  2. Aug 29, 2014
    This is your run of the mill good JRPG that has a few things holding it back to keep it from being a classic. Xillia 2 is the sequel to one of the better Tales games in a long time in Tales of Xillia. It introduces two new main characters and brings back all the first games characters as your party members. The two new characters are both really annoying in that one has a voice that willThis is your run of the mill good JRPG that has a few things holding it back to keep it from being a classic. Xillia 2 is the sequel to one of the better Tales games in a long time in Tales of Xillia. It introduces two new main characters and brings back all the first games characters as your party members. The two new characters are both really annoying in that one has a voice that will get on your nerves and another is the silent protagonist except he talks when he wants too. Neither of these characters are great because of that. They should have made the main guy either silent or give him lines. The inbetween stuff with him is quite annoying.
    The story is about what you'd expect from a JRPG at this point. It's not bad but it's not good either. The characters from the old game did a fairly decent job at being backup but it felt like they were an odd third wheel at times. It's like the developers said they wanted to have something new but not too new or it would drive away players from the first game.
    Luckily the game is saved by it's battle system and the music. The battle system is pretty much the same as the first game and that's a great thing. The Tales battle systems have been known for their excellence and it's why I love just going around fighting things sometimes. The music is also great, especially if you have a love for jazz and blues as there is alot of influences in the game from those two genres of music.
    This game is good for what it does and it was a good attempt at making a direct sequel to one of the most popular Tales games of all time. It's not great but it's not bad and an 8/10 is the perfect score for a game like this.
  3. Sep 19, 2014
    To keep this short:
    + Funny jokes (Gaius and Muzet FTW)
    + Great character stories + Better voice acting than in ToX1 + Awesome music - Exactly the same world as in ToX1, maybe about 1/6th of the areas are new. - The main character has a huge debt which you have to gradually pay off to progress in story, which means boring MMO style kill/gather bulletin board quests. - If you take
    To keep this short:
    + Funny jokes (Gaius and Muzet FTW)
    + Great character stories
    + Better voice acting than in ToX1
    + Awesome music
    - Exactly the same world as in ToX1, maybe about 1/6th of the areas are new.
    - If you take out the grind there isn't really much actual content.
    - Character development has been made even worse than it already was, but not by much.
    - Slowdowns in certain places, or whenever there are more than 3 opponents.
  4. Sep 7, 2014
    I am a faithful 'Tales of' fan and I seriously wanted to love this game.

I am a faithful 'Tales of' fan and I seriously wanted to love this game.

Xillia 1 came second to Symphonia in my books and I was hoping for more of the same/better things with this. Unfortunately, I have to say that I found this game fairly average. I didn't find myself wanting to spend time with the characters as much as I did in the first one. My thought throughout the game was 'hurry up and finish already'. I think that is a shame because THERE IS a good amount of worthwhile content, but Xillia 2 is far too disjointed and bloated to enthusiastically recommend.
  5. Apr 2, 2015
    May Contain Spoilers

Tales of Xillia 2 is an amazing sequel. Plot - Fractured Dimensions now threaten the World of Elympios and the only one who can destroy them is our hero Ludger Will Kresnik a mostly silent protagonist who sometimes talks and sometimes doesn't. He has an ability known as Chromatus which allows him to destroy Dimensions. If you played Xillia 1 you will be familiar
    May Contain Spoilers

Tales of Xillia 2 is an amazing sequel.

Plot - Fractured Dimensions now threaten the World of Elympios and the only one who can destroy them is our hero Ludger Will Kresnik a mostly silent protagonist who sometimes talks and sometimes doesn't. He has an ability known as Chromatus which allows him to destroy Dimensions. If you played Xillia 1 you will be familiar with the word Kresnik and what it means.

My thoughts On Story - Interesting Satisfying & Entertaining.

~ Characters ~

Ludger - He's pretty cool he owns a cat, can wield 3 weapons, owes a large debt, has an apartment and a crazy brother.

Tsundere Milla - I'm happy to say that she is not the real Milla but she is kind of funny and entertaining. You'll meet and get the normal Milla later on.

Alvin - Alvin is attempting to not be "A big fat liar" like he used to be. In my opinion Alvin is the same except he lies less in this game and he doesn't betray you like he did in the last one like a backstabbing bastard.

Elize - Is exactly the same but now she's less shy.

Rowen - Exactly the same.

Leia - Exactly the same.

Jude - Exactly the same.

Gaius - He is surprisingly funny in this game. Gaius is still the same badass don't worry they didn't change him that much. But it is weird to see the antagonist become the protagonist especially someone as serious as Gaius its his seriousness that makes him funny in skits.

Muzet - Muzet is no longer a crazy psychopath **** she's good now and I like that. Muzet is also hilarious and I love to see her in the skits. I always pictured Muzet as being the protagonist rather then the antagonist like in Xillia 1 so to me this fits perfectly.

Nova - Some people think she's annoying but I like her. Nova is always happy and lively. People hate her because she's in charge of Ludger's huge debt and since she's such a happy little character it makes it seem like she's the one responsible for his debt but its actually Rideaux whose responsible for it. Nova is just doing her job Rideaux is the evil bastard who should get all the hate.

Elle - Now I think she is annoying but sometimes she's a little cute and has a few moments here and there which makes her a tolerable and worthy character for the series.

My Thoughts on Characters - Their amazing.

Gameplay - The Gameplay is mostly the same as the 1st one but it they add alot of new things. The 1st is that Ludger can use 3 weapon types Swords Guns & Hammers which makes him the most fun to use. You also have the addition of 2 new characters Gaius & Muzet. The Lilium Orb has changed to the Allium Orb which is very different from the Lilium Orb however I'll let you find out from the game how it works. The 3rd thing is that Ludger can use Chromatus which is basically his trump card for difficult battles. When your in Chromatus Mode you are invincible and cannot be damaged by any attacks and you can perform large combos and use some amazing attacks.

For other Gameplay related things. Ludger has a large debt to pay and unless he pays this debt he will be unable to travel to certain places which will halt the main story. To pay this debt you'll have to go on item searching missions kill certain monsters and go on Elite Monser Hunting Quests. Each character also has his/her own story which you can do on the sidelines while your paying your debt you also get money for doing some of these stories. 1 thing that might make people mad is that most of the areas in this game are the same from the 1st Xillia but there is some new areas in this game especially in Elympios. 1 thing I forgot to mention is that Ludger can make decisions based on interactions between characters and situational conflicts. It gives you the assumption that these decisions change the story however it does not until the end of the game where your decision can change the endings.

My Thoughts on Gameplay - Love it Love it Love it, I sigh over a few disappointments but I still Love it.

Audio - There is no Dual Audio like there was in Symphonia Chronicles but I don't think you need that because the dub of this game is great. If you liked the dub of Xillia 1 your feelings won't change for this one. There are a few reused tracks in this game and there are alot of new Tracks in this game and Motoi Sakuraba does not disappoint once again he makes an amazing OST.

Graphics - Are exactly the same as Xillia 1.

Replay Value - The meter broke that's how high the replay value is.

Overall - If you loved Xillia 1 buy this right now. If you want to buy this game without having played Xillia 1 I strongly do not recommend it. Play Xillia 1 then play Xillia 2 so you can understand everything. There a few disappointments but overall the Pros outweigh the Cons which makes this yet another Tales Game Masterpiece.
  6. Sep 13, 2014
    An incredible sequel in almost every way except for the fact that 90% of your time is spent in the exact same areas as you explored in the first game. It's not necessarily bad that all of the original zones make a return, but it's just that you spend very little time in new areas. There are 11 or so actual new areas to go to. Besides that, the combat system is back with cool new mechanics,An incredible sequel in almost every way except for the fact that 90% of your time is spent in the exact same areas as you explored in the first game. It's not necessarily bad that all of the original zones make a return, but it's just that you spend very little time in new areas. There are 11 or so actual new areas to go to. Besides that, the combat system is back with cool new mechanics, the story is fairly interesting, there's tons of replay to see the different endings and various outcomes, and the awesome grade system which allows you to purchase interesting perks for additional playthroughs. There are three new playable characters on top of the original cast. Best of all, the game is genuinely funny, and the characters are mostly amusing and likable. Would be a 10/10 if they could have spent more time making new areas. Expand
  7. Aug 20, 2014
    I'm about 10 hours into the game so far and am loving it. The tone is much darker than the first game, and people may be put off by the mostly silent protagonist. That being said, returning cast members soon enter the picture and liven things up. I highly recommend this title to anyone who enjoys the Tales of series, especially those who played the first game.

For those inexperienced

For those inexperienced with the "Tales" series, I would recommend picking up the first game before jumping into this one.
  8. Aug 23, 2014
    ToX2 follows the story of Ludger, a cook thrown into a terrorist attack. During this unexpected event, he will meet Dr. Jude and a little girl asking him to lead her to the land of Canaan so as to find her father. More than a mere sequel, the scenario of ToX2 takes a totally different path, ToX events being only hinted at during sidequests. Therefore, ToX2 looks as new as would be a brandToX2 follows the story of Ludger, a cook thrown into a terrorist attack. During this unexpected event, he will meet Dr. Jude and a little girl asking him to lead her to the land of Canaan so as to find her father. More than a mere sequel, the scenario of ToX2 takes a totally different path, ToX events being only hinted at during sidequests. Therefore, ToX2 looks as new as would be a brand new entry in the series, with rather bizarre additions on the top of it.

Unlucky as always, our poor Ludger quickly ends up indebted. One of your objectives at the beginning of the game will be to lower your debt level. Let’s be honest here, that’s wasn’t interesting in any way : there is no time limit or anything that would put pressure on you and give some intensity to the whole thing. It would have been a plus if the player was perfectly free to reimburse when he wants, also with a little more impact on the story than unlocking new zones. Not only that, but it ends up being nearly as annoying as paying back credit in real life. The girl from the bank asks you money every 5 minutes, sometimes after every fight or every screen or when you find 2 gald on the ground. No big consequence on the general quality of the game, but that’s definitely something we could have done without.

That won’t ruin the pleasure to dive in Xillia’s universe one more time, and especially what has proven to be the most dynamic, the most spectacular, the most intuitive battle system of the series. I could tell you more about it, but it’s all written here. So let’s speak of what changed. First of all, Ludger is played very differently from the other characters : he can equip 3 types of weapons (pistols, hammer and blades) and switch between them in the fight simply by pressing button. The logic is that beyond traditional elemental strengths/ weaknesses, the kind of weapon you’re attacking with has an influence on the efficiency of your assault. That said, I’m not very comfortable with this system because it makes joint attacks harder to trigger. Besides, Ludger has the immense advantage of being able to transform and become more several times more powerful and invincible for a few seconds. This capacity of his is controlled by a gauge that fills fairly quickly, so don’t hold back using it.

I must stress that Gaius and Myuse come to be playable characters in this sequel. Not only were they likable «villains», but they are also incredibly fun to play. Gaius, who reminds me lot of Sephiroth with its long katana, uses a lot of counters and Myuse has to ability to teleport herself behind enemies. Special attacks have been reinforced a lot, so all this brings a breath of fresh air to combat. You can switch between your characters in a fight, but the game decides on your party in main chapters, which is lame. The difficulty can still be switched anytime too, for maximum comfort.

The side parts have been re-tought and enriched. There’s now a clear separation between guild quests (hunting, items to fetch, Giganto monsters, NPC errands) and all your party members’ stories, which are divided in several episodes. Those long parallel scenarios that progress throughout the whole game, give more depth to Xillia’s characters and are different enough from the main story to provide some change of pace. Add to this mini games like searching for all the cats in the game (that you can later use to fetch items, see gameplay video above) and poker like in Tales of Vesperia. There’s even more to do than in Tales of Xillia, which lasted me 70h. A shame every quest is centralized and guided though, it’s more fun when you discover them on the go like in Xillia 1. Also, I was annoyed by the fact that trophy challenges have been made 3 times longer. ToX trophies already weren’t short to obtain, but now it’s become a real pain.

It’s in story-telling that ToX2 completely trenscends its predecessor. While ToX coud feel flat (at least in the first half), ToX2 takes great care in spreading mysteries and keeping suspense at every possible level. The story brings constantly new surprises and number of scenes are as stunning as in Xenoblade for example. The music takes the best of ToX while adding very good melodies, is used in the best possible way. Ludger has no personality of his own (he doesn’t tell anything), which is a deliberate choice to have the player decide on story branches. Even if most of choices you make a little more importance than improving your friend level with your companions, at the end of the game they will decide on which epilogue you will get. The final scene is so emotionally packed that I threw a controller across the room for the first time in my life : I had chosen the «bad» end.

Excluding the indebtment delirium that you’ll forget about very quickly, Tales of Xillia 2 as every quality of a great JRPG. By adding what Xillia lacked when Xillia itself was already exceptional, it easily ranks among the best JRPGs of the PS3 generation.
  9. Aug 23, 2014
    Tales of Xillia 2 is a direct sequel to Tales of Xillia, if you are a fan of the first game, then you will feel right at home with the sequel! If you are a newcomer I suggest if you are in it for the story I highly recommend playing the first one as Tales of Xillia 2 picks off where it left off from the first game ( 1 year later).

The only "kinda bad" thing the game has that may throw

The only "kinda bad" thing the game has that may throw some people off is the debt system, in which you pay incrementally throughout the game to progress through the main story.

However, that is an easy bypass by killing off the 'Elite Jobs" which give you just about what you need to pay off the "next payment" debt to continue the story. Yes they did reuse alot of the areas from the first game, but personally it doesn't bother me as it's all something I have seen before!
  10. Aug 26, 2014
    After enjoying Tales of XIllia I was a bit worried about the sequel, since reaching the same level could prove difficult. Fortunately, Tales of Xillia 2 is a fantastic Tales game and a great sequel, expanding everything good about the first game, improving the combat system in lots of ways, offering a lot of extra activities and a surprisingly deep and emotional story that is veryAfter enjoying Tales of XIllia I was a bit worried about the sequel, since reaching the same level could prove difficult. Fortunately, Tales of Xillia 2 is a fantastic Tales game and a great sequel, expanding everything good about the first game, improving the combat system in lots of ways, offering a lot of extra activities and a surprisingly deep and emotional story that is very different than that found in the first game. This is definitely a game any Tales fan, especially those who enjoyed Xillia, must give a chance. Expand
  11. Aug 21, 2014
    Whether you are a fan of the Tales of series or a JRPG fan in general, this is one of the best games in the genre available to PS3 and I definitely recommended buying this game. Crazy fun combat, epic story and lovable characters are just some of the reasons why you should definitely pick up this fantastic sequel.
  12. Aug 25, 2014
    Tales of Xillia was good, but here, they take simply everything and make it better.
    The Map Recycling is the only thing who sucks a little bit, but the rest is simply brilliant.
    I am giving ToX 10 Points simply to counter the Metacritic Score because 75 is by far too less.
    So i would give it 87/100 in my opinion :)
  13. Aug 23, 2014
    First of all I must say the Collector's edition was a generous offer which, I'm sure, pleased and met the fan's expectations. This review is intended for the overall gaming experience (or...I should say, lack of it).

Tales of Xillia will always be one of my favorite games ever. I adored the story and the characters (specially the two protagonists). It was an interactive gaming experience where. I would be playing for long hours and have the feeling all those guys were with me because of the fantastic interactions with each other and their surroundings, the skits were phenomenal, the humor was quick and more mature, and I could feel the character's personalities. Oh... I should add that I loved the fact the all had A VOICE, thank you very much.

I was looking forwards to Xillia2, and I was convinced that because Xillia was such a perfect power house that was no way anyone could screw things up but they managed to do it in epic levels. A silent protagonist was a very poor choice (again, in my personal opinion), it feels/looks/sounds utterly ridiculous in the gameplay, the interactions were murdered, the skits were brought to an infant level, to the point I feel I'm playing a pre-teen girl game with no content.

If the company regretted the great choices, levels, set of of characters tones/personalities, and the awesomeness of the skits and interactions in the first Xillia, that is too bad, but I hope the changes weren't made to meet a younger, or less mentally appreciative audience. Those changes successfully brought Xillia2 to shameful and ridiculous levels.

The strong points were kept with its beautiful and unique to Xillia art style and worlds, great opening music, and being able to play with the characters from Xillia back in that Universe.
  14. Sep 18, 2014
    Despite the errors, Tales of Xillia 2 improves the bad and the good things in the first Xillia and presenting new cool stuff, which makes him to be a superior sequel.
  15. Sep 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a fan of the Tales of series of games. With that said, I cannot express how bad this game is. Let's see why:

Story: While it starts off as something different and even novel, it quickly spirals and becomes a drag. While it may seem new and something different from other games, the concept of huge debt has been already used before in other games. Also, 20 million in debt is going to constantly bug and undermine the experience, to the point where you will feel it a chore to take up "jobs" to get money just to repay the debt. While repaying it offers items and other things, I would prefer Aifreads treasure to this. And, after a while, the debt becomes the main part of the story, as you need to constantly repay it to be able to move to other locations, as you get "restrictions", which also undermines the game.

graphics: not a huge improvement over the first one, or at least not any that I noticed.

Characters: A mute character again? no one of the previous characters in Tales of... games was mute, so, what gives? while he does say: "yes" , "geez" or sighs, it's nowhere near enough. The main character feels bland and non-playable character.

Music and voices: somewhat good, but, lacking japanese voices again... kind of wonder if the japanese main character actually talks in the japanese version. Intro is good, but, feels lacking.

Controls and gui: Controls are the same as the Tales of Graces f. Kind of wondering why the step back, but, oh, well. Also, the changes on how the character gain more SP and skills is ... beyond retarded, while the idea was almost good, it lacks direction.

Overall: Wait until a drop in the price. Do not pay $74 dollars (with taxes) that Namco wants, it's simply not worth it. Namco had many new ideas for the second part of the game, sadly they were executed poorly, the broke a lot of good things from the first game and delivered something based more on popularity than in actual content or anything else.
  16. Sep 16, 2014
    Not as good as the first Xillia, but still not bad. Only play this if you REALLY enjoyed the first game and you want to explore more of the world and characters.
  17. Sep 18, 2014
    I took a risk with Namco on the sequel to Tales of Xilla, I was disappointed. The story and new character Lugar did not do it for me. Lugar is a very silent and a very flat protagonist who is only fleshed out though the other characters. I beat the game and I still don't feel like I know who Lugar is as a character. I understand and appreciate the fact that you can make choices for him andI took a risk with Namco on the sequel to Tales of Xilla, I was disappointed. The story and new character Lugar did not do it for me. Lugar is a very silent and a very flat protagonist who is only fleshed out though the other characters. I beat the game and I still don't feel like I know who Lugar is as a character. I understand and appreciate the fact that you can make choices for him and so "guide" the story, but in the end 90% of the choices don't impact the game, absent the last chapter.

The only characters who really shine, for me, are Alvin and Gaius. The game gives you a deeper appreciation for who they are and the circumstances of their lives.

The combat system starts slow, but surpasses Tales of Xilla in a lot of ways. It almost becomes too overwhelming with options you have at your disposal.

Alas, there are some mechanics which really impede the games flow, like the debt repayment system.

Good combat, but a poor story with a very weak protagonist.
  18. Sep 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Having just been sued by a debt collector in real life, I was not too thrilled to find that I had to pay off a tremendous debt as a core mechanic of what was to be my current life distraction. I was only able to play about 10 hours in before I simply forgot I was even playing this title. It reuses virtually all of the resources from Xillia 1. The fields are so cluttered with shiny items and bags that they looks like a junkyard half the time. And the game practically has you exploring Xillia 1 in reverse.
    But wait there's the combat! Sadly the main character is by far more versatile then the rest of the old cast, leaving no real reason to play any of them. Strangely enough it felt very clunky and unresponsive as well.
    The story is much darker then the first game, but it did not have enough appeal to hold me in past the money grinding just to open up the next zone. Yes, you are stuck in specific zones until you pay off X portion of the Debt. This also offsets the urgency of the story, as the very organization you work for is the one holding you back. "Luger we need you to go here and do this asap. But first make sure to pay us 10,000"
    All in all I am very disappointed with this entry on the Tales franchise, especially since Xillia 1 was quite possibly my favorite. Perhaps one day I will pick it back up and give it a fair shot. Then again, the dated graphics will probably make me cringe by then.
  19. Oct 25, 2014
    An extremely solid game, this game builds of the mediocre first game and turns it into the next saga of the Tale's series we all know and love. Solid gameplay, and great story, I recommend it.
  20. Dec 16, 2014
    To me, sequels of games are not as interesting as the first game.
    However, Tales of Xillia 2 beat down my expectation of "Wow, it's just another rip or something".
    I was expecting some cheesy follow-up story, but the story is far different from the first game. I really didn't like it at first, the quiet protagonist, then this hole money issue. But as I progressed further into the game,
    To me, sequels of games are not as interesting as the first game.
    I really didn't like it at first, the quiet protagonist, then this hole money issue. But as I progressed further into the game, I laughed, I got annoyed, I got sad, and many tears were shed.
    I fell in love with the game on the second day I got it, and for the next three days I played it on all the free-time I had, and I can assure you, I cried at least 6 times throughout the game. Sometimes, I felt like I was the protagonist- speaking to the screen as if I was actually really there (Yeah sounds like a loser, and well I am trash so..). I had a lot of attachments to the characters throughout the game and I'll be happy to say that this game is probably my favorite game.

1. Nov 15, 2014
    A Japanese style RPG with fast'n'furious real-time combat. There's a lot of stuff to do and nothing deviates too much from the tried and tested Tales of -formula. Maybe it should, though. [Nov 2014]
  2. The formula needs an update. [Nov 2014, p.94]
  3. The combat system is one of the best features of the series. It has nothing to do with the classic turn-based battles and resemble three-dimensional team fighting. Heroes are free to move around the battlefield, they know how to put the blocks, dodge, and not only execute fierce battle tricks but carrying out deadly team combos. All this looks very spectacular and saves from the boredom in those frequent moments when player runs out of desire for more grinding. Unfortunately local grind is a must – without it one never will be able to kill some bosses. [Nov 2014, p.106]